PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Argonauts Rookie Camp + Training Camp thread

Will
05-24-2017, 08:24 AM
Rookie camp is opening, but are any of the Argo draft picks signed?

Discuss rookie camp + training camp here.

Wobbler
05-24-2017, 01:43 PM
For some reason the draft signings seem to be late this year. For example, Hamilton just announced the signing of all of their guys a few minutes ago.

I assume that we'll do the same today.

R.J
05-24-2017, 01:53 PM
According to this (http://3downnation.com/2017/05/24/draft-tracker-riders-eskimos-selections-among-remaining-unsigned-picks/), Mason Woods has been signed, but I haven't seen anything anywhere else. Looking forward to training camp.

Will
05-24-2017, 03:34 PM
The Argos tweeted out that all 6 had signed. I can sleep again at night.

Wobbler
05-24-2017, 05:46 PM
We also signed Dylan Wynn (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119841&draftyear=2015&genpos=DE) today. He seems heavy to play DE in the CFL; maybe we'll look at him as a DT instead.

R.J
05-24-2017, 08:02 PM
The Argos tweeted out that all 6 had signed. I can sleep again at night.
Happy to hear that all have signed. Woods and Bladek were my top two, so I was happy to get at least one of 'em. Herdman, Woodson, and Onyeka look like gamers, and hopefully they can turn into such in the pros.

Wobbler
05-25-2017, 11:14 AM
Huh. We signed CIS DL Samuel Narkaj today (http://www.argonauts.ca/2017/05/25/argos-sign-canadian-ol-samuel-narkaj/), and are going to try to convert him to OL.

He seems strong, at least - his 34 reps was the second best bench press performance at this year's combine.

OV Argo
05-25-2017, 09:32 PM
Huh. We signed CIS DL Samuel Narkaj today (http://www.argonauts.ca/2017/05/25/argos-sign-canadian-ol-samuel-narkaj/), and are going to try to convert him to OL.

He seems strong, at least - his 34 reps was the second best bench press performance at this year's combine.

Classic CFL GOB dumb-a$$ thinking; the Argos already have tons of Canadian O-line prospects, but little proven depth at DT ; so they take a CIS all-star DT and think, gee he could make an O-line prospect. Narkaj could be competing for playing time at DT, but I guess just 2 NIs (Laing & Waud) are good enough, but we need 10 or 12 NI O-linemen for TC?

jerrym
05-26-2017, 12:44 AM
Interesting article as TC opens, on Kerry Locklin, who coached with the Shreveport Pirates and two HC ghosts from the Argos' past, John Huard and Forrest Gregg. However, it's been 23 years since Locklin coached in the CFL.

http://www.argonauts.ca/2017/05/25/take-two-former-shreveport-pirates-assistant-resets-cfl-argos/

jerrym
05-26-2017, 12:53 AM
Mike Hogan discusses the opening of TC below.

http://www.argonauts.ca/2017/05/25/argos-cautiously-optimistic-as-rookie-camp-opens/

1971GreyCup
05-26-2017, 09:08 AM
I am really excited about the Popp/Trestman combo!

I think Marcus Ball was an astute move. He still has to prove his value, so there isn't a downside that I can see. Imagine if the Ticats had signed him?

I dropped by Argos practice yesterday and watched a very well run practice. I was very surprised to see a "large" Trestman presence in the middle of the field house. He has a great sense of humour, but doesn't give up the distance between HC and the players.

Jim Popp approached me, introduced himself, and couldn't have been nicer. He had all the time to answer my 'novice' level questions. He's a great football mind. He gave me plenty of clarity on lots of subtleties of the new Canadian game. And so many rules have changed over the years. He even joked to LB Coach Breckinridge "I'm going to sign you, I'm going sign you" in that southern drawl.

Coach Trestman came over and introduced himself too. CFL football returned in force to Montreal and much of the credit has to go to these two gentlemen.

The Athletic writer Sean Fitzpatrick was there for a 2nd day. That's commitment on that medias platform. I hope Argo fans support that new venture in return.

Such a breath of fresh air. I can't tell you the last time I was this excited for a new season. Probably when Leo Cahill. Boy does that speak volumes.

Will
05-26-2017, 11:10 AM
For those of you who may be planning to go to practice on Sunday morning I would recommend you watch this (http://www.argonauts.ca/2017-training-camp-practice-media-schedule/) link closely as the team will move practice indoors to the Ontario Soccer Centre in the case of bad weather. With the forecast for Sunday looking a little shaky the practice could be moved.

Neely2005
05-26-2017, 12:24 PM
I am really excited about the Popp/Trestman combo!

I think Marcus Ball was an astute move. He still has to prove his value, so there isn't a downside that I can see. Imagine if the Ticats had signed him?

I dropped by Argos practice yesterday and watched a very well run practice. I was very surprised to see a "large" Trestman presence in the middle of the field house. He has a great sense of humour, but doesn't give up the distance between HC and the players.

Jim Popp approached me, introduced himself, and couldn't have been nicer. He had all the time to answer my 'novice' level questions. He's a great football mind. He gave me plenty of clarity on lots of subtleties of the new Canadian game. And so many rules have changed over the years. He even joked to LB Coach Breckinridge "I'm going to sign you, I'm going sign you" in that southern drawl.

Coach Trestman came over and introduced himself too. CFL football returned in force to Montreal and much of the credit has to go to these two gentlemen.

The Athletic writer Sean Fitzpatrick was there for a 2nd day. That's commitment on that medias platform. I hope Argo fans support that new venture in return.

Such a breath of fresh air. I can't tell you the last time I was this excited for a new season. Probably when Leo Cahill. Boy does that speak volumes.

Glad to hear this. The Argonauts players, coaches and management really need to do all they can to reach out at a grass roots level to build the fanbase.

Neely2005
05-26-2017, 12:26 PM
For those of you who may be planning to go to practice on Sunday morning I would recommend you watch this (http://www.argonauts.ca/2017-training-camp-practice-media-schedule/) link closely as the team will move practice indoors to the Ontario Soccer Centre in the case of bad weather. With the forecast for Sunday looking a little shaky the practice could be moved.

Are fans allowed to watch all of the practices?

1971GreyCup
05-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Yes we try and pop in to training camp and practices a couple times a week

Will
05-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Are fans allowed to watch all of the practices?

The Argos have been known from time-to-time to hold closed practices, but the team is sure to advise of this in advance.

Neely2005
05-26-2017, 02:11 PM
Thanks guys!

Wobbler
05-26-2017, 02:54 PM
Yesterday we released the guy (Anthony Morris) that I suspected might start at LT this year, based on size and pedigree.

Assuming that we're going with an INT there, that means it's down to Mack, Wallace, and Washington. Wallace was on the PR all of last year, Washington was added to the PR on roster expansion day, and Mack is new. Hopefully someone stands out in camp, I guess.

Wobbler
05-27-2017, 12:47 PM
Well, we signed another INT OL (Jay Guillermo (http://www.argonauts.ca/2017/05/27/argos-sign-ol-jay-guillermo-release-two/)), who was pretty well regarded in college, but he's an interior guy. It would be surprising if we dressed an INT center or guard this year.

AngeloV
05-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Anyone have a clue what time the Argos will practice tomorrow? The website still only shows the rookie camp schedule.

argolio
05-27-2017, 02:00 PM
Well, we signed another INT OL (Jay Guillermo (http://www.argonauts.ca/2017/05/27/argos-sign-ol-jay-guillermo-release-two/)), who was pretty well regarded in college, but he's an interior guy. It would be surprising if we dressed an INT center or guard this year.Good resume, but isn't tackle the priority? College tackles get moved inside all the time. It rarely happens the other way around.

Wobbler
05-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Anyone have a clue what time the Argos will practice tomorrow? The website still only shows the rookie camp schedule.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> 2017 Training Camp schedule and media availability (May 28 - June 9) 📅⬇️<a href="https://t.co/CBz9gOhdu3">https://t.co/CBz9gOhdu3</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts PR (@Argonauts_PR) <a href="https://twitter.com/Argonauts_PR/status/868548235241160705">May 27, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1971GreyCup
05-27-2017, 03:34 PM
Tomorrow is only 4-5pm

A walk through. Full practices start Monday.

AngeloV
05-27-2017, 05:27 PM
Tomorrow is only 4-5pm

A walk through. Full practices start Monday.

Won't be there for a walk through. See ya'll next week.

doubleblue
05-28-2017, 11:04 AM
Always a bunch of surprises before and during training camp. Probably more to come. I wonder if Dyakowski can revive his career as a Center with the Riders. Dan Clarke's play has been questioned in the past.
Saskatchewan seems to have more than their share of players signing as free agents and then retiring before they ever get to play. Marc-Olivier Brouillette the latest.

R.J
05-28-2017, 08:12 PM
Saw the day one video over on argonauts.ca, Hogie asked about their being 5 Canadian Olinemen to start off TC - anyone know who got the "starting" reps ?

Loved how Trestman answered the question, basically saying it's only day one (which Hogie even stated in his question), but that they just wanted to try and see how it goes.

OV Argo
05-28-2017, 09:30 PM
Saw the day one video over on argonauts.ca, Hogie asked about their being 5 Canadian Olinemen to start off TC - anyone know who got the "starting" reps ?

Loved how Trestman answered the question, basically saying it's only day one (which Hogie even stated in his question), but that they just wanted to try and see how it goes.

A bunch of import O-linemen in TC = I highly doubt they go with 5 Canadian starting O-linemen (who will be the 2 OTs?).

1971GreyCup
05-29-2017, 07:43 AM
Dropped by training camp on Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday the players were registering and weighing in. Interesting observation was that there were two minor league teamed practicing and scrimmaging on the Argos practice field with a handful of pros participating. I heard this is a long standing tradition dating back to Keith Pelley. Social media covered a similar Ticat event, but you seem to need to hire a private eye to find that Argos a similar event. Haha. My offhand remark was that you guys have gotta stop being the best kept secret in this city!! Lots of good news on this front.

While the players only had a walk through yesterday, we dropped by early and had a wonderful opportunity to speak with staff and the players as they showed up. Ricky Ray and Marcus Ball stopped and happily chatted with us. Last time we saw Marcus off the field, he held his baby daughter in his hands. She's age 5 now.

The O-line are a great bunch and are very accessible. Brandon Whittaker's great too. Shawn Lemons introduced us to his pal DT Bishop. Special Team players Jake and Lirim are special guys. Those two are also inseparable.

Jim Popp was MIA, but Marc Trestman once again came right over to say hi. Briefed us on the day schedule and said he'd chat after practice.

Some of the new American coaches came over after practice and introduced themselves. Kevin Eiben was great to meet and talk football with. We discussed his career from when his family immigrated from Ohio, to his HOF time at Bucknell to his pro career.

It seems like Marc T. has set a new tone for the team. This team will be accessible to media and fans alike. His team, and the coaches and players will act accordingly. A new football culture has arrived in Toronto and I like it!

doubleblue
05-29-2017, 09:50 AM
A bunch of import O-linemen in TC = I highly doubt they go with 5 Canadian starting O-linemen (who will be the 2 OTs?).

We should get an idea by the first pre-season game how they are going to line up. The starting five for that game should be considered first team, barring an injury. Have to think Holmes, McEwen and Van Zeyl have positions locked up, with Deane the front runner at one Guard. Maybe the new guy Guillermo will be the new Van Roten, a DI who can play all positions. LT ? maybe Holmes can slide over from Guard, he played some Tackle in College I believe. That would change things as there appears to be lots of guys in camp who can play Guard. How does that sound, Holmes-Deane-McEwen-Campbell-Van Zeyl starting with Gillermo and Woods or Sackey backing up.

Neely2005
05-29-2017, 10:48 AM
Dropped by training camp on Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday the players were registering and weighing in. Interesting observation was that there were two minor league teamed practicing and scrimmaging on the Argos practice field with a handful of pros participating. I heard this is a long standing tradition dating back to Keith Pelley. Social media covered a similar Ticat event, but you seem to need to hire a private eye to find that Argos a similar event. Haha. My offhand remark was that you guys have gotta stop being the best kept secret in this city!! Lots of good news on this front.

While the players only had a walk through yesterday, we dropped by early and had a wonderful opportunity to speak with staff and the players as they showed up. Ricky Ray and Marcus Ball stopped and happily chatted with us. Last time we saw Marcus off the field, he held his baby daughter in his hands. She's age 5 now.

The O-line are a great bunch and are very accessible. Brandon Whittaker's great too. Shawn Lemons introduced us to his pal DT Bishop. Special Team players Jake and Lirim are special guys. Those two are also inseparable.

Jim Popp was MIA, but Marc Trestman once again came right over to say hi. Briefed us on the day schedule and said he'd chat after practice.

Some of the new American coaches came over after practice and introduced themselves. Kevin Eiben was great to meet and talk football with. We discussed his career from when his family immigrated from Ohio, to his HOF time at Bucknell to his pro career.

It seems like Marc T. has set a new tone for the team. This team will be accessible to media and fans alike. His team, and the coaches and players will act accordingly. A new football culture has arrived in Toronto and I like it!

Awesome, I'm going to try to get out one day this week.

Wobbler
05-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Today the Argos put Durell Eskridge on the "Da'Rck Rogers list"and signed a similar-looking LB (Terrell Richardson), who played a bit for Calgary last year.

R.J
05-29-2017, 08:20 PM
So found this: http://www.argonauts.ca/2017/05/29/training-camp-primer-offence/

The offensive line from left to right consisted of Jamal Campbell, Tyler Holmes, Sean McEwen, Corey Watman and Chris Van Zeyl

Only day one, but a bit surprised that Watman was ahead of Deane. Still talk bout Campbell being very raw, so I think LT will change at least a couple of times within the next couple of weeks.

AngeloV
05-29-2017, 09:09 PM
So found this: http://www.argonauts.ca/2017/05/29/training-camp-primer-offence/

Only day one, but a bit surprised that Watman was ahead of Deane. Still talk bout Campbell being very raw, so I think LT will change at least a couple of times within the next couple of weeks.

Could be just giving guys that were on the roster last year the first set of reps. I wouldn't read to much into it.

R.J
05-30-2017, 12:19 AM
Could be just giving guys that were on the roster last year the first set of reps. I wouldn't read to much into it.
I'm not, but still a bit surprised, as Watman really didn't play well last season. In either spot he played (C and RG) actually.

Will
05-30-2017, 09:18 PM
Some notes from camp:

Van Zeyl had a brace on his wrist.
Cam McDaniel has an undisclosed injury.
Whitaker was helping coaches run some drills, but was not participating in them.

From The Athletic

ArgoGabe22
05-30-2017, 09:47 PM
Hogan reported that Gabriel was taking reps at cornerback in the first day.

Wobbler
05-30-2017, 09:52 PM
My eyebrows were raised at that too (ditto for Black), but Chamblin mentioned (https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/05/29/corey-chamblin-media-training-camp-may-29/) that they're experimenting and learning everyone's skill sets.

New coaching staff. This is what you get.

Wobbler
06-02-2017, 02:14 PM
Our RB competition got a bit less competitive: Kendall Hunter is the latest guy to retire (https://www.cfl.ca/2017/06/02/argos-rb-kendall-hunter-retires/).

Shatto
06-02-2017, 02:49 PM
At practice today --noted that McFadden sat out-wonder if he is injured again? Hill (WR) and Wallace (OL) both also appear to have injuries. Campbell took all 1st string reps at LT and Gabriel took all 1st string reps at CB

Neely2005
06-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Our RB competition got a bit less competitive: Kendall Hunter is the latest guy to retire (https://www.cfl.ca/2017/06/02/argos-rb-kendall-hunter-retires/).

I wonder if the competition was tougher than he expected?

Will
06-02-2017, 03:03 PM
At practice today --noted that McFadden sat out-wonder if he is injured again? Hill (WR) and Wallace (OL) both also appear to have injuries. Campbell took all 1st string reps at LT and Gabriel took all 1st string reps at CB

Did you see Alan-Michael Cash at all? I was there--didn't see him.

Wobbler
06-02-2017, 04:01 PM
I wonder if the competition was tougher than he expected?
I think he was worried that Wilder would eat him.

Rich
06-03-2017, 01:14 AM
I am loving what I hear about James Wilder. He could be the pickup of the year. A monster back at 6'3"-232, highly motivated at age 25 and wanting another shot at the NFL. Trestman called him "an exciting prospect". Dan Ralph did a nice piece on him this week. Wilder said he was looking forward to challenging some of the smaller LBs in the CFL, and who wouldn't be looking forward to seeing that? He also excels on special teams, the guy has lived and breathed football his whole life because of his dad.

Wilder and Whitaker could be the best 1-2 backfield punch since Sellers and Roberts. Ya never know. Let's see how well he blocks first.

Wobbler
06-03-2017, 02:40 AM
Might be tough to dress two INT RBs, but if Wilder is a good ST contributor that would help...

OV Argo
06-03-2017, 10:18 AM
I am loving what I hear about James Wilder. He could be the pickup of the year. A monster back at 6'3"-232, highly motivated at age 25 and wanting another shot at the NFL. Trestman called him "an exciting prospect". Dan Ralph did a nice piece on him this week. Wilder said he was looking forward to challenging some of the smaller LBs in the CFL, and who wouldn't be looking forward to seeing that? He also excels on special teams, the guy has lived and breathed football his whole life because of his dad.

Wilder and Whitaker could be the best 1-2 backfield punch since Sellers and Roberts. Ya never know. Let's see how well he blocks first.

Sound interesting - both Wilder the prospect and the thought of a 1-2 RB punch with a big back involved; however - you will not see that out of a Trestman offence - lots of varied run game and a big back getting the 20+ carries a game those types need to roll and grind on defences. It will be the same old look 5 pack offence, with a single RB most of the time; mostly pass play calls and the one simple basic running play that all same old CFL offences use now.

Wobbler
06-03-2017, 12:06 PM
Stephen Hill was released today. Too bad - I know that a few of us were intrigued by his size and NFL experience.

However, we also signed INT OT William Campbell (https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/06/03/argos-sign-ol-campbell-release-hill/).

paulwoods13
06-03-2017, 04:42 PM
After watching the workout at fan day and scrutinizing the roster, I think these are the main questions to be answered in the preseason games:

1. Who will play MLB? Unless Bear Woods is signed, we look thin there with McFadden hurt again.

2. Who will backup at the two OLB positions, assuming Ball and Murray start?

3. Are any of the rookie DBs capable of beating out a veteran, or at least dressing as backup? Do we have an adequate backup (or replacement) for Owusu-Ansah at CB?

4. Can J Campbell win the LT spot? He seems to have the inside track at this point but there are still five or six INT o-linemen and I assume we will keep at least two around. If we can start five NAT o-linemen, plus one SB/FB, one DT and one CB/S, we will have decent roster flex. I'd prefer to start nine but we need at least eight IMO.

5. Which of Matthews, Prukop or Bethel-Thompson will be the PR/IR QB?

6. How many NATs can/will we keep? There are 30 with a shot IMO -- four FB/SBs (Coombs, Jones, Cross, Tuck), four WR/SBs (Noel, Graves, Williams, Ralph), nine o-linemen (Campbell, VZ, Holmes, Deane, McEwen, Sackey, Woods, Watman, Kolankowski), three DTs (Laing, Waud, Finley), two DEs (Walker, Foster), three LBs (Herdman, Onyeka, Newton), three DBs (Gabriel, Black, Woodson) and two STers (Hajrillahu, Reinhart). I can see us keeping 26-28 so two to four will likely be cut. I would guess Kolankowski, Newton, Ralph and Tuck are most on the bubble.

Argo57
06-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Argos need a serious upgrade at MLB, McFadden simply can't be counted on to stay healthy.

gilthethrill
06-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Argos need a serious upgrade at MLB, McFadden simply can't be counted on to stay healthy.

Was he trying to tackle CJ Gable again?

Argo57
06-03-2017, 06:42 PM
was he trying to tackle cj gable again?

👍lol

1971GreyCup
06-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Big highlight of Fan Day for us was meeting AngeloV! We rarely agree, right! But I love your passion. Now all we need to do is find another 11,000 of each of our personal profiles and the Argos are totally out-of-the-woods!

gilthethrill
06-03-2017, 07:44 PM
Big highlight of Fan Day for us was meeting AngeloV! We rarely agree, right! But I love your passion. Now all we need to do is find another 11,000 of each of our personal profiles and the Argos are totally out-of-the-woods!

Angelo V is a gentle giant.

OV Argo
06-03-2017, 07:56 PM
I'll be stunned if one of the import O-linemen in camp does not win a starting OT job and they instead go with 2 NI OT starters (Van Zeyl & Campbell has the inside track for the other spot?).

Coombs will maybe be the Swiss army knife type role - can back-up at tailback, slotback or kick returner - doubt he does any job close to full-time though.

IF there is to be one NI receiver in the 5 pack - will it be Jones as one of the slots, or Noel at wide-side WR ?

Nakas Onyeka was a tough, nose for the ball type OLB in CIS ball with Laurier; but he is probably not near fast enough to play the cover SAM OLB spot and is also maybe under-sized for the WILL OLB job. Justin Herdman played OLB in US college ball, but he has the size to play MLB in the CFL = he might be considered a back-up to the import starter there? Chamblin might have no use for either of those draft picks on D though, Both those guys need to step-up as special teams forces.

The other DE spot aside from Lemon - will be interesting to see who emerges there. Ex-NFLer Butler has the resume and hope he can be a pass rush force; love to see Evans get a real crack at some D playing time, and maybe Walker has progressed at DE too ? - won't get to play if Chamblin has no use for them on defence though. A lot of CFL teams now use a lot of rotation on the D-line for different looks and to keep guys fresh; Waud might get some playing time to spell Laing, but can they carry an extra import DT and DE ?

Bear Woods seems like an obvious answer to the MLB job? - maybe it comes down to just buck$ though and another CFL team might be willing to pay more? - the Bummers have big need at MLB too.

And as far as this it would be nice to have 8 or 9 NI starters thinking - the only way that happens is IF they go with 5 starting NI O-Linemen, PLUS one NI receiver in the 5 pack, for 6 NI starters on offence = very doubtful IMO; there is almost no way in hell there will be more than 2 NI starters on defence (a DT and a safety)

jerrym
06-03-2017, 08:36 PM
IF there is to be one NI receiver in the 5 pack - will it be Jones as one of the slots, or Noel at wide-side WR ?

My bet would be Jones, as I think Noel needs more development, although he could turn into a good receiver in time.

jerrym
06-03-2017, 08:50 PM

The addition of another International OL, Will Campbell, suggests that you are right since why would they add more to an already long list if they were not planning to play any.

OV Argo
06-03-2017, 09:28 PM
My bet would be Jones, as I think Noel needs more development, although he could turn into a good receiver in time.

Except that slotback is a more targeted receiver position in the CFL now, and playing Jones there would mean they have faith to target him plenty in the passing game; not so sure about that if they have 3 import receivers they like better to play slot (say Green, Fuller, Wylie, Brown or Morgan - though one of Brown or Morgan are intriguing prospects as the short side WR and i think Fuller played there before?) . OTOH - a lot of CFL teams now use one of their 7 only NI spots on the wide-side WR spot - not near as much passes thrown that way; Noel is more the pure WR vs. Jones with a bit more speed plus the experience at the position; I guess Jones could line-up there too? Noel needs more "development" but a mediocre like Vidal Hazelton got handed an Argo receiver starting spot as a raw rookie to the Canadian game ? - the 2 nice grabs I saw Noel make in that one game last season basically impressed me more than anything I saw out of Hazelton in his Argo time.

Shatto
06-04-2017, 12:06 AM
After watching two T.C. practices --here are my impressions:
Offense-3 receivers have looked extremely good--Green, Fuller and Posey. They have taken most of the 1st string reps. The only question revolves around Green being ready to start the season. Paden may be in for a fight, as Worthy and Edwards appear to be having stellar camps. Worthy has the advantage, in that he looks to be the designated kick returner, at this time. Others such as Morgan, have shown flashes of excellent work but the question is, whether it is enough.
Whitaker appears to have a lock on the RB spot and the battle is for the back up position. Cross has been getting a fair amount of time on both the 1st and 2nd string offenses. Coombs has been predominant as both slot back and running back and has been getting a lot of 1sr string reps.
On the OL with Deane looking slightly injured, Holmes, McEwen, Watman and Van Zeyl look to be 4 National starters. As others have mentioned, Campbell (Jamal) seems to getting an opportunity to win the LT position but there are some good looking Internationals who will challenge him.
Defense--Lemon, Laing, Bishop and Butler have looked impressive as a starting defensive line when they go with 4 down lineman. Cash looks to have some type of injury and Waud was in, what looked to be, an air cast.
If McFadden is not ready to start the season and if Woods doesn't sign, Plummer will be the starting MLB. He has looked quite good but the question is, is he good enough?
They often go with 6 DB's with one occasionally morphing into a LB. Consistently, the starting 6 have been Owusu-Ansah and Gabriel at CB Mitchell at free safety and Sears, Murray and Vaughn. Owusu-Ansah has looked particularly good in the one on ones. For me, Berry, Alford, Harris have all shown good coverage skills at one time or another during the drills.
Odds and Sods--Onyeka has been getting a lot of playing time, mostly with the 2nd string defense but also occasionally with the 1st string. He certainly hasn't looked out of place when he has been out there. If Herdman is going to make this team, he will have to show he can contribute on special teams but so far his lack of foot speed make that look unlikely. Didn't realize that Brandon Harris, who is only 27, was drafted in the 2nd round of NFL draft and 60th overall.
The above are my impressions only. The coaches, who have decades of professional football experience and have seen all the practices, viewed film and have observed what type of character the players demonstrate, are obviously, in a much better position of evaluating the talent, than someone who is simply a fan, such as myself.
With the rest of training camp and an exhibition game, some players will cement their positions, while others will drop back and still other will come to the fore and show they should be on the team. Though it is stressful and demanding on the players it is an exciting time for us football fans.

Wobbler
06-04-2017, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the observations and thoughts, Shatto. Looks like neither of our preseason games will be broadcast, so reports will be even more useful than usual!

I'm a bit disappointed that Sackey's name hasn't come up at all this year. We don't *need* him yet, but it would be comforting to know that he's at least a competent backup at this point.

paulwoods13
06-04-2017, 08:31 AM
And as far as this it would be nice to have 8 or 9 NI starters thinking - the only way that happens is IF they go with 5 starting NI O-Linemen, PLUS one NI receiver in the 5 pack, for 6 NI starters on offence = very doubtful IMO; there is almost no way in hell there will be more than 2 NI starters on defence (a DT and a safety)

For once we agree on something, albeit simple math.

paulwoods13
06-04-2017, 08:33 AM
The addition of another International OL, Will Campbell, suggests that you are right since why would they add more to an already long list if they were not planning to play any.

Because they don't know yet who is best for the line. They have several INTs and nine NATs at the moment. Clearly they will carry at least one and probably two INT OTs, the question is whether any of them will be on the 44.

paulwoods13
06-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the observations and thoughts, Shatto.

Hear, hear! Great report, Shatto.

Neely2005
06-04-2017, 09:12 AM
Anyone going to practice today? It's been moved to the Downsview Park Soccer Bubble.

https://www.argonauts.ca/2017-training-camp-practice-media-schedule/

Jon Gonzo
06-04-2017, 10:25 AM
After watching two T.C. practices --here are my impressions:
Offense-3 receivers have looked extremely good--Green, Fuller and Posey. They have taken most of the 1st string reps. The only question revolves around Green being ready to start the season. Paden may be in for a fight, as Worthy and Edwards appear to be having stellar camps. Worthy has the advantage, in that he looks to be the designated kick returner, at this time. Others such as Morgan, have shown flashes of excellent work but the question is, whether it is enough.
Whitaker appears to have a lock on the RB spot and the battle is for the back up position. Cross has been getting a fair amount of time on both the 1st and 2nd string offenses. Coombs has been predominant as both slot back and running back and has been getting a lot of 1sr string reps.
On the OL with Deane looking slightly injured, Holmes, McEwen, Watman and Van Zeyl look to be 4 National starters. As others have mentioned, Campbell (Jamal) seems to getting an opportunity to win the LT position but there are some good looking Internationals who will challenge him.
Defense--Lemon, Laing, Bishop and Butler have looked impressive as a starting defensive line when they go with 4 down lineman. Cash looks to have some type of injury and Waud was in, what looked to be, an air cast.
If McFadden is not ready to start the season and if Woods doesn't sign, Plummer will be the starting MLB. He has looked quite good but the question is, is he good enough?
They often go with 6 DB's with one occasionally morphing into a LB. Consistently, the starting 6 have been Owusu-Ansah and Gabriel at CB Mitchell at free safety and Sears, Murray and Vaughn. Owusu-Ansah has looked particularly good in the one on ones. For me, Berry, Alford, Harris have all shown good coverage skills at one time or another during the drills.
Odds and Sods--Onyeka has been getting a lot of playing time, mostly with the 2nd string defense but also occasionally with the 1st string. He certainly hasn't looked out of place when he has been out there. If Herdman is going to make this team, he will have to show he can contribute on special teams but so far his lack of foot speed make that look unlikely. Didn't realize that Brandon Harris, who is only 27, was drafted in the 2nd round of NFL draft and 60th overall.
The above are my impressions only. The coaches, who have decades of professional football experience and have seen all the practices, viewed film and have observed what type of character the players demonstrate, are obviously, in a much better position of evaluating the talent, than someone who is simply a fan, such as myself.
With the rest of training camp and an exhibition game, some players will cement their positions, while others will drop back and still other will come to the fore and show they should be on the team. Though it is stressful and demanding on the players it is an exciting time for us football fans.

Thanks Shatto. You have a keen eye. Being an out of towner, I love this kind of stuff & even send it along to my father. He's in his 80's, so social media is a non-starter (;

AngeloV
06-04-2017, 11:53 AM

It was my pleasure. I'm glad some don't confuse my passionate defence of the organization as being a bad dude. I am far from that.

1971GreyCup
06-04-2017, 12:00 PM
It was my pleasure. I'm glad some don't confuse my passionate defence of the organization as being a bad dude. I am far from that.

AngeloV. You don't look at all like Conredge Holloway! It reminded me of in the past when I've met radio personalities. For years, you have a visual your brain creates in the absence of information. We hope to have an opportunity to chat at the games this year.

AngeloV
06-04-2017, 12:03 PM
AngeloV. You don't look at all like Conredge Holloway! It reminded me of in the past when I've met radio personalities. For years, you have a visual your brain creates in the absence of information. We hope to have an opportunity to chat at the games this year.

I'm sure our paths will cross again, likely at practice in Downsview. I've seen you there before, but didn't know you then. By the way, I played 1 year of QB in high school at 295 lbs. Got down to 245 for my senior season and junior ball. Damn Greek upbringing. :D

Tobin Rote
06-04-2017, 12:03 PM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRu3jEYCHiEBrJZICHIPVrgQQYbsHDzD-Lr9lINFanJ8Bf0m82Elw

1971GreyCup
06-04-2017, 04:58 PM
FAN FEST

Toronto Sun
Richard Mantauh

There’s probably no correlation between the number of people who show up for Fan Day at training camp and the number who will show up at BMO Field during the season. But still the Argos were pleased with having more than 500 fans on hand on Saturday at its practice at York University.
After the 1½-hour session, the players were eager to greet their supporters, many of whom donned their Argos gear for the day.
“It was fun,” Trestman said. “It was good for the players. It lit a little bit of a fire under them. They were ready to go.”
“It’s good to have the fans out,” Willy said. “This league is so much built on its fans so it was good to see them out there supporting us.”
Also on hand and as popular as ever was Argos legend Pinball Clemons.

ESKIES FAN FEST TWEET Morley Scott

#Esks estimate 3500 to 4 k for Fan Day. Lots of beer and merchandise sold. Easily most successful and well attended Fan Day. #CFL

jerrym
06-06-2017, 11:55 PM
FAN FEST

Toronto Sun
Richard Mantauh
But still the Argos were pleased with having more than 500 fans on hand on Saturday at its practice at York University.

Hopefully, this is a sign that things are getting better attendance wise this year.

Wobbler
06-09-2017, 09:39 PM
I'm a bit amazed that we still have six QBs in camp. For preseason game 2 we'll need to give Ray a couple of series to warm him up, and we'll need to resolve the battle for #2 (a quarter each for Willy and Fajardo?). That doesn't leave much time for Prukop and Bethyl-Thompson to audition...

I am assuming that Mathews is the odd man out, obviously. Who knows, though; maybe the tape will show that his receivers let him down last night and Willy's salary will be an issue.

R.J
06-10-2017, 09:44 AM
According to Mike Hogan's twitter feed - Wilder looks to have won the backup RB spot, as Malena has been released.

ArgoGabe22
06-10-2017, 10:11 AM
According to Mike Hogan's twitter feed - Wilder looks to have won the backup RB spot, as Malena has been released.

And the fact that Malena's injury probably didn't help him.

Argo57
06-10-2017, 12:47 PM

Glad to hear, should only improve as he gets familiar with the CFL.

ArgoRavi
06-10-2017, 01:42 PM
And the fact that Malena's injury probably didn't help him.

I doubt he would have been released at this time otherwise.

Gill The Thrill
06-10-2017, 05:32 PM
I doubt he would have been released at this time otherwise.

Tough break for Malena, especially considering it was a good gain on his only carry. He was one of several short statured low centre of gravity guys who are quick in this years camp as I noticed on Fan Day. He was also being looked as a punt and kickoff returner, along with newbie Martese Jackson, who had some playing time Thursday and Canadian U of Guelph star Ryan Niewesteeg who was not either not dressed Thursday or did not see action.

I think you're going to have to add receiver Jimmy Ralph on your unstoppable force line Ravi. He looked good in securing the football at fan day and followed it up with good production in pre-season so far. They may opt to have him go back to the University of Alberta to finish his 1 yr of CIS eligibility, but if he continues to produce, he will be hard to ignore, especially as a Canadian.

As far as international receivers go, Cole Watson had a noticeable contribution on Thursday. I haven't noticed Devon Wylie at Fan Day or on Thursday, but he did contribute when he got playing time last year. Jeff Fuller is probably a lock, and so is SJ Green, but Armanti Edwards is not a lock for starting based on what I saw. I'm delighted Popp has brought in good talent in camp. The competition level for jobs is hands down better than it was last year, despite the late confirmation of Popp and Trestman being hired.

I think it's safe to say, we can look forward to a much more balanced team with more depth on all sides of the ball this season and not the steady dose of 17 pt losses we saw last season at BMO. Hopefully this team can get better week to week and build some casual fan interest by playing interesting football on offense and tough defence. Can't wait to see Bear Woods patrolling at linebacker.

Wobbler
06-10-2017, 06:13 PM
In addition to letting Malena go, we also cut WR Justin Brown today. I don't think he played on Thursday... was he hurt too?

Two new INT WRs were signed:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> made a series of transactions this morning: <br><br>ADDED: <br>WR Ed Eagan, Northwestern St<br>WR Jamel Johnson, Alabama St</p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts PR (@Argonauts_PR) <a href="https://twitter.com/Argonauts_PR/status/873517303941533696">June 10, 2017</a></blockquote>

Eagen is a WR/KR type and Johnson looks like a slotback.

OV Argo
06-10-2017, 07:47 PM
In addition to letting Malena go, we also cut WR Justin Brown today. I don't think he played on Thursday... was he hurt too?

Two new INT WRs were signed:
<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="873517303941533696"></twitterwidget>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Eagen is a WR/KR type and Johnson looks like a slotback.

The release of Stephen Hill and now Brown is interesting - 2 guys with very impressive NFL resumes, and yep, a lot of those type end up not panning out in the CFL. 2 new receivers added mid-camp?- whatever I guess, but there is lots of receiver talent still in TC - Green & Fuller, Posey, Wylie, Edwards from the Riders, Morgan & Worthy? - how many receivers do you need to audition late in camp? - this Watson guy comes out of nowhere and gets lot of ex, game playing time? And with Jimmy Ralph making an impression, to go with Jones & Noel as NI receiver talent. the Argos might think of going with at least 2 NI receiver starters; but not if the position is pencilled-in for mostly imports.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

Wobbler
06-12-2017, 04:20 PM
Davonte Wallace was cut to make room for Pfeffer, so the LT competition seems to be down to Mack and the Campbells.

Wobbler
06-13-2017, 10:53 AM
Rush's new article indicates that SJ Green is coming along nicely (https://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2017/06/12/green-looks-to-reward-argonauts-faith.html), but I'll be surprised if he plays in the preseason. It does sound like there's a chance he'll be ready to go for game #1, though.

Wobbler
06-13-2017, 11:07 AM
2 new receivers added mid-camp?- whatever I guess, but there is lots of receiver talent still in TC - Green & Fuller, Posey, Wylie, Edwards from the Riders, Morgan & Worthy? - how many receivers do you need to audition late in camp?
With six QBs in camp there are plenty of guys who want to throw balls. Gotta have lots of guys to catch them. ;)

mchesher03
06-13-2017, 11:46 AM
#trusttheprocess :)

ArgoGabe22
06-14-2017, 04:06 PM
Ricky Ray can and will throw deep. Threw beautiful passes to both Green and Worthy deep, but both had dropped them. Ray also threw perfectly thrown corners in the endzone, both of which were caught. Trestman seemed pretty happy with Ray, who got the majority of reps. After Ray was Bethal-Thompson, whom I expect to get significant playing time. I'm not really sold on Prukop. Surprised Fajardo didn't see any action.

I assume with SJ Green taking reps with the first group, that he will be good to go come season opener. Fuller, who was also in that group went to see the medical staff and was replaced with Worthy.

Waud, Jamal Campbell, Deane, Brian Jones, Paden, Wylie did not practice. I'm not sure Wylie will have a spot on the roster with how some of the receivers are looking. I'm really liking Jimmy Ralph, I hope he stays and doesn't get sent back to UofA (which I heard is a possibility). Looks like they released Niewsteeg (sp?) becuase I didn't see him.

Gabriel was back at safety and saved a TD on one play. Looked like Tuggle is a LB and not on the DL , like it indicates on the roster.

Pfeffer had a strong leg when punting, but did punt with the wind. Also missed a FG going against it.

Brandon Washington was starting at LT, alongside the usual 4 Canadians. Didn't really see where Mason Woods was, or any draft pick for that matter.

Wobbler
06-14-2017, 04:34 PM
The O-Line competition doesn't seem to have been particularly intense. I'll be disappointed if we end up with basically the same line as last year, but a year older.

argolio
06-14-2017, 09:35 PM
Either my eyes suck (which they do) or I was watching a different practice than Gabe. I'm pretty sure I saw Jamal Campbell take plenty of reps at LT, as did William Campbell and Washington.

McFadden also didn't practice.

Ray looked in mid-season form. I think he's still the best QB we've got, and we better keep him healthy.

Posey might end up being Ray's favourite target.

It surprised me to see them spending a lot of time with Prukop and Bethel-Thompson working on footwork, read progressions, and other details. Maybe they see enough in those two to keep them both around.

Coombs got a lot of touches.

I thought receiver Jamel Johnson (#81) looked really good, and he's only been in camp a few days.

Owusu-Onsah, Gabriel, and Larry Scott (#35) stood out to me among the DBs.

Hajrullahu was booming punts between the numbers and the sideline into a tricky wind, which caused a couple of drops.

Fajardo spent a fair bit of time practicing FG holds.

And at the end, they posed for a Stanley Cup-style team picture.

ArgoGabe22
06-14-2017, 09:54 PM
You may be right about Campbell. I wasn't paying too much attention to the line but every time I looked, I saw Campbell standing without a helmet on.

I will echo your thoughts on Johnson. Seems like a big target, very Jamel Richardson like. Same body frame.

Owusu-Onsah was all over the ball and very aggressive IMO.

ArgoGabe22
06-14-2017, 10:03 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">And that&#39;s the end of training camp. <a href="https://t.co/0cuLxVeHgW">pic.twitter.com/0cuLxVeHgW</a></p>&mdash; DoubleBlueBlog (@DoubleBlueBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/DoubleBlueBlog/status/875045112786628608">June 14, 2017</a></blockquote>

Rich
06-14-2017, 11:36 PM
Coombs got a lot of touches.

I thought something looked different about Coombs on his two catches in the Montreal game. He looked a little stronger, and showed a little bit of that appetite for yardage that Andre Durie had. This is his time, I think he's gonna have a big season.

jerrym
06-15-2017, 01:18 PM
I thought something looked different about Coombs on his two catches in the Montreal game. He looked a little stronger, and showed a little bit of that appetite for yardage that Andre Durie had. This is his time, I think he's gonna have a big season.

If Coombs is anywhere near as good at YAC yards as Durie was, that's great. However, I will still have my doubts about that until I see him do it in regular season action because he has tended to go down as soon as he is touched in the past, although he has been good at catching short yardage passes.

AngeloV
06-15-2017, 04:55 PM

I think he will too.

OV Argo
06-15-2017, 09:38 PM
I think he will too.

Coombs is going to be a starter? - at the same Durie hybrid slot position? I dunno - maybe I guess, and that would mean Jones or Noel are just back-up receivers in the 5 pack ?

doubleblue
06-16-2017, 04:53 PM
Coombs is going to be a starter? - at the same Durie hybrid slot position? I dunno - maybe I guess, and that would mean Jones or Noel are just back-up receivers in the 5 pack ?

I think its now or never for Coombs. Got to start showing he can break a few tackles and stay healthy. IMO

ArgoRavi
06-16-2017, 05:12 PM

In today's CFL, teams are constantly shuffling players - both Canadian and Internationals - on and off the field. I really don't think you have to worry about seeing a paucity of Canadians performing for the Argos this season, OV.

OV Argo
06-16-2017, 06:00 PM
In today's CFL, teams are constantly shuffling players - both Canadian and Internationals - on and off the field. I really don't think you have to worry about seeing a paucity of Canadians performing for the Argos this season, OV.

So, you think 2 or even 3 of Coombs, Jones and Noel are going to see a lot of playing time on the Argo offence?

I highly doubt that Trestman uses the Durie hybrid slot/RB in his offence; and Coombs might be well suited for that role, but he is not a pure receiver to play the traditional slotback or wide-out positions; I bet he is viewed as a depth guy who could play some slot or RB or return kicks but will mostly be a back-up; and one of Jones or Noel might play a lot more in the 5 pack if they are forced to go with one NI receiver to make the 7 only "starters".

Another thing about this shuffling players - happens at many positions, but not generally at O-line; you just do not see teams putting in back-up O-linemen often for the sake of keeping guys "fresh" or for a different look that you see with D-lines. Happens with some teams with their D-backfield too, but G, er, CFL coaches do not usually trust NI DBs in that way, so it is often an extra import DB who is dressed - maybe as a DI. Be interesting to see if draft pick D players like Foster or Woodson - both accomplished defenders in college ball - get much or any real D playing time from Chamblin.

OV Argo
06-16-2017, 07:59 PM
Looking at the CFL site's play by play of this game - Nakas Onyeka seems all over the place on D making plays so far - is he starting on the first team D? - at what OLB spot ?

AngeloV
06-17-2017, 01:28 PM
Looking at the CFL site's play by play of this game - Nakas Onyeka seems all over the place on D making plays so far - is he starting on the first team D? - at what OLB spot ?

Sure sounded that way from the chance I had to listen in. Hogie was raving about him.

R.J
06-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Onyeka and Herdman look like studs.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8