PDA

View Full Version : Jim Barker Live Chat Transcript

Mulder
05-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Wednesday May 2, 2012
12:21
Hey Argos Fans! Welcome to the Pre-Draft Live Fan Chat with Jim Barker.

You may start sending in your questions and Jim will log on momentarily to answer them. Please try and keep your questions CFL Draft-related. We will try and answer all of your questions but depending on volume and time restraints, Jim may not be able to answer all of them.

Jim should be online shortly.

Thanks again and enjoy!

12:30
Comment From TiCatScout
Have you made any offers yet to teams to try and trade up?

12:31
Hi TicatScout, we make and receive offers all the time, and offers are constantly being made throughout this week to move up or down. This is a very busy week.

12:32
Comment From Andrei
My question is about scouting Canadian quarterbacks in the NCAA. Now, there aren't a whole lot of them but when you're evaluating them, how do you translate their performance from American football to the Canadian game? Generally speaking, does a Canadian playing in the NCAA get a higher or lower grade based on factors such as competition, difference in throws they have to make, etc.?

12:33
Hi Andrei, a Canadian QB playing in the CIS has the advantage of playing 3-down football his whole life. A Canadian player who goes to play in the NCAA to play 4-down football would be evaluated in the same way an American QB would be scouted. Thanks.

12:34
Comment From Jim
Did the recent NFL draft results with several top Canadians being selected change your strategy for your first selection?

12:37
Hi Jim, thanks for your question. The NFL and those who sign as undrafted free agents in the NFL affects our entire draft strategy - that's why our draft is a week after the NFL draft - as well as other NCAA players who still have remaining eligibility (we call them 'futures'). This is what makes the CFL Draft so unique and challenging.

12:37
Comment From ArgoSlaughter
Hi Jim. Do you hope to have Tyler Holmes into training camp this year as he went undrafted and unsigned as of now? Are we moving towards an all Cdn offensive line?

12:38
Hi ArgoSlaughter, Tyler Holmes is still exploring his NFL possibilities. We were excited to be able to move up in last year's draft to take him 7th overall.

12:39
Comment From Ottawa BluesMan
Are Canadian QB's still a prior to the Argos, and do you think we'll ever see a league imposed 4th Canadian QB?

12:40
Hi Ottawa BluesMan, I am a huge advocate of finding a way to into our professional game. Brad Sinopoli is an example of a young QB who has made a CFL roster and that is exciting for Canadian QBs everywhere.

12:40
Comment From Chuck
So now that we've got 2 great QBs are which is the bigger priority: to get people to protect them, or improve the people they're throwing to??

12:41
Hi Chuck, good question, football is won on the offensive and defensive lines, so protecting our QBs is vital. We are also working hard to give our QBs the best possible tools to be successful. Bringing Jason Barnes in this off-season was a step in that direction.

12:42
Comment From Argos22
Are you willing to take a risk with players who may have a chance to play in the NFL if available? (Like Chambers, Pasztor etc.) or has missing out on Greenwood and Reinders in previous drafts changed your strategy

Hi Argos22, It's part of our strategy but we take the player that suits our needs for now and the future. It's about the player that gives us the best value when we pick.

Comment From Jim
Jim are there any plans to work a Fullback into the Argos new offense? A position that is usually occupied by a Canadian? I know Milanovich employed FB Kerry Carter in Montreal - is there a draft priority for a Non-Import FB?

12:44
Hi Jim, we would like to find someone to fill that role. The question is whether that guy exists in this draft. It's important that such a player be a good and consistent special teams contributor.

12:44
Comment From gary
When drafting NCAA OL ,what do you look for that will allow for a readily quick adjustment to the 1 yd seperation on the line of scrimage ?

12:45
Thanks Gary, The CFL is very much a spatial game. A player's ability to move his feet is so important as he'll have to play in space.

12:46
Comment From Mike
Jim, how do you and the argo's take into consideration charchter concerns of possible draft picks?

12:47
Hi Mike, character is a very important factor in our research. We not only talk to the player personally, but also to those who work around him (coaches, trainers, teammates etc.). It is important to bring in players that fit into our locker room and have a passion for playing the game.

12:47
Comment From Mike
In the canadian draft process, is there any test like the american wonderlic? and if so, how much do you count on those scores to project them into your team?

12:48
Hi Mike, we use the same Wonderlic test that is used in the NFL. The results of the test are very important to our evaluation.

12:49
Comment From ArgoSlaughter
Not a draft question but the Argos new jerseys are unbelievably good. Did you sign off on those? Who made that great decision?

12:49
Last night was the first night I saw the new jerseys, and they look great. But frankly I'm more concerned with what's inside the jersey than the jersey itself.

12:50
Comment From Dave
What happened to the tightend position in the CFL? Now teams just add an extra lineman or in some cases Chad Rempel but with a player like Luke Wilson from Rice can he become a CFL TE or will he have to find another position?

12:51
Hi Dave, everything in football is cyclical. 15 years ago tight ends were very popular. As defenses play smaller DBs, offenses will player bigger tight ends. Luke Willson is an intriguing prospect but he just signed a contract with the Toronto Blue Jays to be a baseball player.

12:52
Comment From Mike
Jim, obviously NCAA D1 is the top league for football and then D-1aa and then most likely D2, but where in your eyes does NCAA D3, NAIA, and CIS fit in after those?

12:55
Thanks Mike, the CIS is improving every year and the quality of players coming to training camp is much more ready to compete for a spot than even 5 years ago. I'm one of the few that has coached in D1, D1AA, D2 and D3. When you're dealing with D2, D3 and NAIA then it depends on the program. You will occasionally find a really talented player in those ranks but it's rare. In 12 years of coaching D3 football, I only had 1 player drafted into the NFL. The odds aren't as good for players coming from smaller colleges.

12:56
Comment From Gary
With only 1 k/p in camp , do you draft a k/p or wait for EDMONTON to cut one? [ Shaw ]

12:57
Hi Gary, there will be free agent kickers, there are currently free agent kickers and there are kickers in the draft. We will look at all of them, including the research Mike O'Shea and consider everything. Come draft day we'll consider all of our needs.

Comment From Ottawa BluesMan
I see that the Ti-Cats (boo) have signed WR Samuel Giguere... Besides the current guys, it would be great to see lots of receivers in camp... Anyone on the radar, or from the mini camps that have caught your eye?

Hi Ottawa BluesMan, There are potentially 4-5 receivers in this draft that have a chance to make CFL rosters.

12:58
Comment From Jim
Calgary drafted a few Dinos and the current Argos roster has a lot of local players. Does the player's hometown have any affect on your pick

12:59
Hi Jim, you always prefer to have local players if they fit in your strategy. That way it's easier for them to become part of the community.

1:00
Comment From pete from whitby
I'm not sure that Spencer Watt or Djems Kuame are going to be productive players in this league. Instead of drafting receivers in the third round and up how about drafting one in the first two rounds?

1:01
Hi Pete from Whitby, ultimately we're going to take the best player for our club - whether that's a receiver, lineman or otherwise. We want to do what's best for the team.

1:01
Comment From Dave
So I understand that BC Jr players all fall under the territory of the BC Lions. This I thought was the case but also heard it on local news today as BC had a free agent camp with 25 BC Jr guys. So if another team really wants to sign one of these BC Jrs what happens? Just curious with you holding a camp in BC soon
1:04
Hi Dave, we have two junior teams to draw from in Toronto (Brampton and Tri-City). We're working hard with both of those clubs to improve the programs because they are great potential feeder systems for our club. Western clubs have had a lot of success with this in the past and we really want to build this system here in the East.
1:04
Comment From Argo Fan
Hi Jim, now that Sam Giguere has signed in Hamilton, how do you think this will shake up the draft? There has been talk of Shamawd Chambers going to the TiCats in the first round. Will this change anything from an Argos perspective?
1:07
Hi Argo Fan, it won't really impact us unless we move up into the first round. But it could definitely have an impact on the first round, the way it currently stands.

Mulder
05-02-2012, 01:20 PM
1:09
Hi Dave, I just want to expand on what I said earlier, to claim a junior player you have to work with the team in the territory in which he's from. Teams outside the territory can claim him but it's important to follow protocol.

1:10
Comment From Mike
Jim, how are signing rights dictated in the CFL. For example, there are NFL players whos rights are had by cfl teams, but how does the league say who gets someones rights.

1:11
Hi Mike, every team has a negotiation list comprised of 35 players. You can add players at any point in their high school, college or pro careers. Once on your negotiation list, you have their rights until you remove them...but most you're ever allowed on the list is 35 players.
1:11
Comment From Shawn
What has Chris Jones relayed back to you regarding the current personnel on defence? Are there still changes to be made on that side of the ball?
1:12
Hi Shawn, There is a re-jigging of personal to suit Chris' needs. That will take place throughout training camp. We've identified a number of athletes through off-season workouts that we're really excited about but training camp is where players win and lose jobs.

1:13
Comment From Argonotes
The Argos Band has a piccolo player who kicked in high school. Are you allowed to draft players out of the band? And vice versa?

1:14
Hi Argonotes, we are only allowed to draft players on the draft list but I evaluate players on a daily basis. Get your piccolo player out on the field and I'll know in 5 minutes if he's right for the job!
1:14
Comment From Mike B
What are the chances you draft a player represented by Jonathan Hardaway?
1:15
Hi Mike B., Jonathan represents good players. If those players fit then we'll draft him. Anytime a player has an agent you factor in that player's ability and signability...
1:15
Comment From Glenn
Are you drafting for immediate needs or more long term? Offensive lineman often take longer to become first-stringers. Will you draft somewhat by position based on when they may become first-stringers?
1:16
Hi Glen, it all depends on the players available. If a player can help us now then that's preferred. But if we have to wait a year to get a quality then we will.
1:18
Thanks for everyone's questions, they were great. The coaches and I are really excited for tomorrow and we hope you are, too.

We're heading back into the room now for another mock draft. Here's some homework, think about who you would take with our first pick.

thanks,
JB

1argoholic
05-02-2012, 02:00 PM
That was great.
Man does Wally have a great advantage having the whole BC Jr football league to pick from. Doesn't hurt that we have two great organizations on the island alone. The Nanaimo Raiders have been the best or one of the best in Canada for years now. They get players from all over the country.

ArgoRavi
05-02-2012, 07:32 PM
That was great.
Man does Wally have a great advantage having the whole BC Jr football league to pick from. Doesn't hurt that we have two great organizations on the island alone. The Nanaimo Raiders have been the best or one of the best in Canada for years now. They get players from all over the country.

Do you remember when the CFL draft would include territorial exemptions? That is, CFL teams could protect two players - which was later changed to one IIRC - from their own territory (i.e. players who were from their territory as opposed to having played university ball in their territory). At some point in the early to mid 1980s, they changed that rule but, at the time, it was seen as a nice advantage for the Argos. IIRC, Sterling Hinds may have been the last territorial exemption that the Argos had and he would have had a stellar career IMO if he had not blown his knee out in an early season game in Winnipeg in '84.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8