PDA

View Full Version : Let's Make Michael "Pinball" Clemons CFL Commissioner

1971GreyCup
05-27-2017, 04:59 PM
I believe the time is right for Michael "Pinball" Clemons as CFL Commissioner. He's the right man for the job. Let's hope the Board of Governors pick the "People Choice" this time. Let "Pinball" lead.

jerrym
05-27-2017, 09:20 PM
I think he would be a great commissioner, both because of his knowledge of the game, his communication skills and the way he interacts with people.

Argo57
05-28-2017, 08:03 AM
He doesn't need the headache.

AngeloV
05-28-2017, 10:13 AM
I hope it doesn't happen. Just like I would wish he would never get into politics. There is not a person in Canada that dislikes Pinner. Why take a job that will definitely to some degree change that? He'd be much better off on the Argos payroll than the league's. Just my opinion.

gilthethrill
05-28-2017, 10:15 AM

That job could be the only thing that could erase that smile from his face.

Will
05-28-2017, 10:17 AM

My thoughts exactly.

1971GreyCup
05-28-2017, 12:20 PM
All valid points. CFL Commissioner is truly a tough job. It is entirely understandable if he doesn't want the position. It is also unfathonable if he isn't offered the position.

Mike has a lifetime of nothing but success. Difficulties have dogged him since youth. Undersized, he was always told he wasn't big enough to play football. He was born in the projects of Dunedin, FL to a single mother. His mom made his education his first priority. Football was his avenue to an education. He was offered business schooling at Harvard and William and Mary Colleges. Both academic powerhouses. William and Mary College provided a full scholarship. Back then Harvard didn't offer scholarships. Mike had no alternative but to accept a scholarship.

As an honours student in business he was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs. Clemons was an All American Division I -AA. After a successful 1st year, he returned to William and Mary to finish and graduate business with honours, knowing that it might cost him his NFL job. His promise to his mother superceded his NFL career. The Toronto Argonauts took advantage of this opportunity and signed him. After dominating the CFL, the NFL came knocking with multiple promises. Knowing that a football career is tenuous at best, and only one injury from ending, "Pinball" declined all offers.

He went on to win three Grey Cups as a player and one as a HC. He stepped down to focus on being a father to his children through their formative years. He felt he couldn't keep the kind of commitment required as a HC and be the kind of father his children required.

His children have now grown and this mission was accomplished with honours!

He feeds the family with a successful motivational speaking business.

His passion is his charitable foundation, the Pinball Clemons Foundation, and he gives back to those with similar backgrounds. His charitable focus, derived from his Mom, focuses on education both abroad and in the inner city of Toronto. Recently, he has identified local hunger as an issue to be tackled. His JUSTGIVE31 food bank drive identified that in the GTA, supplies of food run dry in the summer months when need is great. He found a matching donor (full disclosure a Ticat fan) and recently raised about $500,000 for eight regions across the GTA, Hamilton and Kitchener/Waterloo.

"Pinball" and Diane are committed to Canada with their recent Canadian citizenship. He proudly proclaims "American by birth, Canadian by choice."

The biggest mistake when it comes to "Pinball", comes when underestimating him. He solves problems by motivating teams of individuals. His commitment, once made, is his bond. I cannot think of an instance when Mike made his mind up, and didn't deliver.

Mike is a Hall of Famer, a husband, Dad, HC and player, philanthropist and man of great faith, to name only a portion of his character. He and Diane open their home, and have made Canada a welcome place for new players and coaches. He is a wonderful mentor.

The CFL Board of Directors would be crazy not to explore his interest.

Only Jake Gaudaur, CFL Commissioner comes to mind when I think of historic precedent. Gaudaur was a player, GM, President and multiple Grey Cup Champion. The league thrived under his leadership.

I guarantee you that Clemons would have all the time in the world for fans, owners and players alike. I challenge anyone to put forward a more complete candidate.

Paradoxically, I can't think of anyone more Canadian than Mike and Diane Clemons!

Will
05-28-2017, 12:23 PM
You don't need to convince any of us on his resume.

1971GreyCup
05-28-2017, 12:56 PM
Just need to convince the CFL Board of Governors of the obvious.

Jayahre
05-28-2017, 03:09 PM
All valid points. CFL Commissioner is truly a tough job. It is entirely understandable if he doesn't want the position. It is also unfathonable if he isn't offered the position.

Mike has a lifetime of nothing but success. Difficulties have dogged him since youth. Undersized he was always told he wasn't big enough to play football. Born in the projects of Dunedin, FL to a single mother. His mom made his education his first priority. Football was his avenue to an education. He was offered business schooling at Harvard and William and Mary Colleges. Both academic powerhouses. William and Mary College provided a full scholarship. Back then Harvard didn't offer scholarships. Mike had no alternative but to accept a scholarship.

He had honours in business and was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs. All American Division I -AA. After a successful 1st year, he returned to William and Mary to finish and graduate business with honors, knowing that it might cost him NFL job. His promise to his mother superseded his NFL career. Toronto Argonauts took advantage of this opportunity and signed him. After dominating the CFL, the NFL came coming with multiple promises. Knowing that a football career is tenuous at best, and only one injury from ending "Pinball" declined all offers.

He went on to win three Grey Cups as a player and one as a HC. He stepped down to focus on being a father to his children through their formidable years. He felt he couldn't keep the kind've commitment required as a HC and be the kind of father his children required.

His children have now grown and this mission was accomplished with honours!

He feeds the family with a successful motivational speaking business.

His passion is his charitable foundation Pinball Clemons Foundation and he gives back to those with similar backgrounds. His charitable focus, derived from his Mom, focuses on education both abroad and in the inner City of Toronto. Recently, he's identified local hunger as an issue to be tackled. His JUSTGIVE31 food bank drive identified that in the GTA, supplies of food run dry in the summer months when need is great. He found a matching donor (full disclosure a Ticat fan) and recently raised about $500,000 for 8 regions across the GTA, Hamilton and Kitchener/Waterloo.

"Pinball" and Diane are committed to Canada with their recent Canadian citizenship. He proudly proclaims "American by birth, Canadian by choice."

The biggest mistake when it comes to "Pinball", comes when underestimating him. He solves problems by motivating teams of individuals. His commitment once made, is his bond. I cannot think of an instance when Mike made his mind up, and didn't deliver.

Mike is a Hall of Fame husbands, Dad, HC and player, philanthropist and man of great faith, to name only a portion of his character. He and Diane opened their homes and have made Canada a welcome place for new players and coaches. A wonderful mentor.

The CFL Board of Directors would be crazy not to explore his interest.

Only Jake Gaudaur, CFL Commissioner comes through mind when I think of historic precedent. CFL player, GM, President and multiple Grey Cup Champion.

I guarantee you that he would have all the time in the world for fans, owners and players alike. I challenge anyone to put forward a more complete candidate.

Paradoxically, I can't think of anyone more Canadian than Mike and Diane Clemons!

I don't know if that qualifies him as a CFL - commissioner. Sounds like he would be more suited to be hired by the CFL as an ambassador or head of marketing etc.
There has been no ex-CFL player hired as a commish in the past 20 years, none of the previous commissioners had any experience or background in football.
The commish of the MLS came out of the NFL. Bettman of the NHL had no hockey experience. It's not a requirement to have CFL or a sports background to take a CEO type as head of a league

1971GreyCup
05-28-2017, 07:14 PM
Marc Cohon was very successful. Marketing extraordinaire. He had a Chief Executive Officer who ran the business. Previous to that the previous Commissioners were poor and the league suffered. Doors in the media and business sector in the GTA are open to Mike. Work on he league in this are is much needed.

The last time a Grey Cup winning player/GM became Commissioner Jake Gaudaur, coincided with the most success period in league history in the modern era. Toronto & Montreal thrived. A player/coach isn't a handicap.

R.J
05-28-2017, 07:17 PM
I'd rather not see Pinball have to deal with the massive amount of headaches that are the Board of Governors.

1971GreyCup
05-28-2017, 07:40 PM
I think if Mike he really wants to be part of the solution, it would be a shame if he wasn't given the chance.

Jayahre
05-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Marc Cohon was very successful. Marketing extraordinaire. He had a Chief Executive Officer who ran the business. Previous to that the previous Commissioners were poor and the league suffered. Doors in the media and business sector in the GTA are open to Mike. Work on he league in this are is much needed.

The last time a Grey Cup winning player/GM became Commissioner Jake Gaudaur, coincided with the most success period in league history in the modern era. Toronto & Montreal thrived. A player/coach isn't a handicap.

Ancient history before the era of negotiating TV contracts, dealing with the corporate sector and the exclusive advertisers, marketing.
Mike Clemons is a successful motivational speaker, fundraiser etc but that doesn't qualify him as a CEO.
He would be great at CFL HQ in a marketing/motivational role.
I guarantee that his resume doesn't qualify him as a Commish and the CFL will not hire him as a Commish. It will be someone with the qualifications similar to Cohon who was an NBA executive or Orridge who negotiated the CBC Olympic contract and World Cup conntract or the head of the MLS who was an NFL executive.

Neely2005
05-29-2017, 12:42 PM
Just need to convince the CFL Board of Governors of the obvious.

I think that you'd have to convince Pinball too.
:-)

1971GreyCup
05-29-2017, 03:13 PM
That's a very good point! :)

1971GreyCup
05-29-2017, 03:38 PM
But leadership doesn't mean multitasking businessman. If the league is happy where they are, hire a manager
To maintain it.

I think the modern Commissioner has to be a CFL Ambassador with a big dream. To carry out his dream he has a full staff at CFL Headquarters.

Lee Iacocca inspired.

John Kennedy said we do things because they're hard, not because they're easy. He didn't say we'll put a man on the moon when technology permits. He challenged America 'before the end of this decade!'

I'd love "Pinball", or the next Commissioner, to commit to a 10th team in the CFL. The Maritime Schooners. Establish a goal to have a 10th franchise granted by the end of the 2020 Season.

Create excitement, create a bold future.

ArgoRavi
05-29-2017, 07:33 PM
But leadership doesn't mean multitasking businessman. If the league is happy where they are, hire a manager
To maintain it.

I think the modern Commissioner has to be a CFL Ambassador with a big dream. To carry out his dream he has a full staff at CFL Headquarters.

Lee Iacocca inspired.

John Kennedy said we do things because they're hard, not because they're easy. He didn't say we'll put a man on the moon when technology permits. He challenged America 'before the end of this decade!'

I'd love "Pinball", or the next Commissioner, to commit to a 10th team in the CFL. The Maritime Schooners. Establish a goal to have a 10th franchise granted by the end of the 2020 Season.

Create excitement, create a bold future.

That would be a goal that is doomed for failure IMO. We have been waiting since the early 1980s for something to happen out east including owners to step forward and a stadium to be built. I am extremely confident in saying that there is not a snowball's chance in hell that anything will happen by 2020 or 2021. I don't see Pinball being able to magically make this happen either.

1971GreyCup
05-30-2017, 07:51 AM
That would be a goal that is doomed for failure IMO. We have been waiting since the early 1980s for something to happen out east including owners to step forward and a stadium to be built. I am extremely confident in saying that there is not a snowball's chance in hell that anything will happen by 2020 or 2021. I don't see Pinball being able to magically make this happen either.

That was an example. But great leaders with bold visions have been mocked for centuries.

I don't think anyone on this page would disagree that "Pinball" is both a great man and an outstanding leader of men.

EXAMPLE 1

I can confirm that well over 250 Kenyan schools are now full of children who otherwise wouldn't be receiving any education. In 2010 when Craig Kielburger identified the both need and the process, Mike he set an outlandish goal of building 131 schools. He over shot that goal by +119 schools.

EXAMPLE 2

In 2016, "Pinball" identified the problem that food banks from Niagara to Clarington shelves run dry in summer when the need is greatest. Food banks typically have too much during Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter.

In 2017, and over a 6 week period of time, Mike put together a team that included Mayors, Police Chiefs, Corporate, Community and Schools called JUSTGIVE31. The net result was enough cash raised for food banks to buy the equivalent of 1.25 million lbs of food to those people marginalized by society.

I have spoke to the food banks, and they are overwhelmed by Mike's success.

EXAMPLE 3

The CFL Board of Governors are welcome to review the fiscal performance of the Toronto Argonauts during the period of time when "Pinball" was President. I am confident that the "books" speak for themselves.

EXAMPLE 4

Without exception, most corporate 'managers' that I have worked with took 100% of the credit for successful operations and deflected 100% of the failures.

Perhaps one of Mike's shortcomings in getting this job is that he refuses to be given credit for his long track record of success. You have all heard him credit 11 other players for his personal achievements. When blame is looking for a home, he accepts it willingly.

That certainly skews public perception. But that is Mike.

EXAMPLE 5

Not to forget, "Pinball" has five Grey Cup rings during his tenure in the CFL. Only CFL Commissioner Jake Gaudaur was with more Grey Cup teams in the history of the league.

Of course, if "Pinball" did nor receive the support of the Board of Governors or the required resources, his commishership could prove a challenge. I am pretty sure the achievements in Example 1 - 5 were not without obstacles.

WHAT I WANT

I am not asking for the CFL to acclaim Michael " Pinball" Clemons as Commissioner. I will certainly raise holy 'Hell' if the Board doesn't interview him and makes an uniformed decision. These nine teams are only custodians of a venerable Canadian institution. Like all trustees, they have a fiduciary responsibility to the public. A backroom dealings that result in a less than optimum result is not acceptable. I support the best candidate for the job!

Thanks to this forum for a vehicle for my views.

AngeloV
05-30-2017, 11:13 AM
Just wondering, anyone know if Pinball himself has expressed any interest in the position. If he is interested, I would hope he would reach out to the league. If he doesn't, I don't see him even being on their radar.

Scooter McCray
05-30-2017, 12:09 PM
Just wondering, anyone know if Pinball himself has expressed any interest in the position. If he is interested, I would hope he would reach out to the league. If he doesn't, I don't see him even being on their radar.Not on their radar. Wow. Let's just hire another Orridge with passing knowledge of the league.

paulwoods13
05-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Why would Pinball even want the job? I suspect he makes more money as a motivational speaker than he would as commissioner, and he doesn't have to constantly herd 27 cats the way a commissioner does.

IMO they should be looking for someone with a track record of generating sustainable revenue growth and building long-term partnerships that lead to sustainable revenue growth. Pinball has a unique and commendable set of skills, and a personality that is in a class of its own, so I believe he could do the second part of that without difficulty. But does he have experience generating revenue growth in a challenging business environment? Regardless, tho, I honestly doubt he'd be interested.

1971GreyCup
05-30-2017, 01:51 PM
My question to you Paul is, should the league in their search process, ask the question of interest to "Pinball"? If Mike expresses and he is interested in taking the discussion further, should the league interview him? Shouldn't he be given an opportunity to present his vision and the business metrics?

Should the league assume he isn't interested? Should the league assume he isn't capable?

If the final two questions are affirmative on the leagues part, I think the league and this country had better look in the mirror! A holier-than-though attitude exists in a country that still has a long way to go.

I am sure "Pinball," if considered, lost to a better suited candidate would understand. If he isn't consider a suitable candidate to interview, a backlash will surely occur. Wouldn't that compound a current problem and not correct it?

The Michael "Pinball" Clemons Story has yet to be written. I only hope it has a happy ending.

Will
05-30-2017, 02:35 PM
My question to you Paul is, should the league in their search process, ask the question of interest to "Pinball"? If Mike expresses and he is interested in taking the discussion further, should the league interview him? Shouldn't he be given an opportunity to present his vision and the business metrics?

Should the league assume he isn't interested? Should the league assume he isn't capable?

If the final two questions are affirmative on the leagues part, I think the league and this country had better look in the mirror! A holier-than-though attitude exists in a country that still has a long way to go.

I am sure "Pinball," if considered, lost to a better suited candidate would understand. If he isn't consider a suitable candidate to interview, a backlash will surely occur. Wouldn't that compound a current problem and not correct it?

The Michael "Pinball" Clemons Story has yet to be written. I only hope it has a happy ending.

Holier than thou attitude about what?

What current problem are you referring to?

1971GreyCup
05-30-2017, 03:11 PM
Holier than thou attitude about what?

What current problem are you referring to?

I am grappling for a reason why the CFL Board of Directors are not interested in "Pinball" for Commissioner and have not contacted him for a interview. I know this from a source in the CFL office.

There are two responses as to why they are passing on him as a candidate.

Reason 1. Mike isn't interested. That is flatly untrue.

Reason 2. Mike is incapable of being the next CFL Commissioner. That's a very interesting conclusion. Even more so without bothering to interview him. I can list the reasons he has to be interviewed:

1. impeccable character,
2. Ivy League business degree,
3. multiple Grey Cups rings,
4. successful business
5. Coupled by a grinding public service schedule.

Hmmm. But he isn't worthy of an interview.

Mike has given selflessly to the cause of the Argos and the CFL. All without asking once for anything in return.

I can only come to some very uncomfortable conclusions why he just "isn't our guy".

Tomorrow morning he might get the call and before I know, he's The CFL Commish. I welcome all here to call me out as a lunatic! A dream conclusion.

But if tomorrow morning a search candidate is announced as the new CFL Commissioner and Mike was never interviewed, I can only come to a very uncomfortable conclusion. I don't think it would be very long before the public became aware of it as well. The liberal, open minded CFL myth would be debunked.

ArgoGabe22
05-30-2017, 03:21 PM
But you shouldn't be speaking for Mr. Clemons and Paul isn't even apart of the hiring committee, so you're really wasting your energy campaigning so strongly for Pinball at this moment on this board.

1971GreyCup
05-30-2017, 03:31 PM
But you shouldn't be speaking for Mr. Clemons and Paul isn't even apart of the hiring committee, so you're really wasting your energy campaigning so strongly for Pinball at this moment on this board.

I am not speaking for Mr. Clemons. I am speaking about a process and what I have learned talking to contacts in the league and across the country. I am sorry if it sounds like I speak for him.

I disagree. Things change after being posted here. Do you believe that this forum is only for the internal purposes of a handful of Argos fans? I don't. It is semi-private, but the powers-that-be get the point.

This is a sounding board to convey informal information. A back channel as one might say.

paulwoods13
05-30-2017, 03:45 PM
Reason 1. Mike isn't interested. That is flatly untrue.

If you know for a fact that he is interested, then my question is, what's he waiting for? He should get in touch with the board chair and throw his hat in the ring.

1971GreyCup
05-30-2017, 04:19 PM
Over a period of two weeks, in his spare time, "Pinball" and the "Pinball Clemons Foundation" will have successfully raised over one million dollars for food banks and inner city education. He's done this in addition to running his business! These two successful campaigns:

1. EDUCATION http://victorycharityball.com
2. FOOD BANK DRIVE: JUSTGIVE31 Food Bank Drive video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51x-vJ8hHnQ&sns=em

ArgoGabe22
05-30-2017, 04:46 PM
I am not speaking for Mr. Clemons. I am speaking about a process and what I have learned talking to contacts in the league and across the country. I am sorry if it sounds like I speak for him.

I disagree. Things change after being posted here. Do you believe that this forum is only for the internal purposes of a handful of Argos fans? I don't. It is semi-private, but the powers-that-be get the point.

This is a sounding board to convey informal information. A back channel as one might say.

Wouldn't Pinball have made a ton of contacts by now? If he was seriously interested, wouldn't he have maybe mentioned it to those in high places, especially to those within the CFL and it's Board of Governors? I don't know if they would consider him but i'm sure he could throw his hat into the ring if he really wanted to.

1971GreyCup
05-30-2017, 05:04 PM
I can only hope that an interview is offered. Surprising don't you think, that a candidate of Pinball's caliber needs to approach the CFL and ask for an interview? A professional search company will probably be engaged. Earning a rather large stipend and requiring candidates to identify themselves seems strange. One would hope that he would be at the least, an obvious candidate for consideration. Am I the only one who finds this bizarre?

paulwoods13
05-30-2017, 05:07 PM
I find it bizarre that he would not reach out directly, if interested.

1971GreyCup
06-01-2017, 11:13 AM
#Argos Fan Day would be an excellent day to ask "Pinball" his interest in the position of CFL Commissioner!

Jayahre
06-01-2017, 11:43 AM
No one here has seen the job description which lays out the requirements and qaulifications.
Judging by previous CFL commish's and the commissioners in other leagues, I think the board of governors are looking for an executive/CEO type of person that has been successful in sports managment or the media etc. I don't think he has the qualifications.
Just because he has done a lot in the community, fundraising, public speaking, popular with CFL fans, ex-coach and player doesn't mean that he is qaulified to be a commissioner of the CFL. He has to meet the criteria and check all the boxes laid out by the board of directors.

I think it will be someone from a successful league like the NFL or NBA, possibly a current exec at Rogers or MLSE. They will want to bring in someone from outside the CFL, new blood with new ideas.

1971GreyCup
06-01-2017, 01:37 PM
I think the previous Commissioner fits that bill. That really worked well for the CFL didn't it?

I agree, he has done a lot in the community, fundraising, public speaking, popular with CFL fans, ex-coach and player isn't a drawback, right? Jake Gaudaur had some of those characteristics and the league thrived. I never said he was the only candidate, but from a fan's point of view, he should be considered.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8