PDA

View Full Version : Argos acquire wr edwards in trade with riders

Will
05-27-2017, 08:46 PM
http://www.argonauts.ca/2017/05/27/argos-acquire-wr-edwards-trade-riders/

For Peter Dyakowski

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I acknowledge depth at the receiver position isn't strong, but it isn't necessarily strong at offensive line either.

On second thought, I'm fine with it. Dyakowski's health has been an issue the last few years anyways.

gilthethrill
05-27-2017, 09:10 PM
Edwards looked absolutely great during his time last season. I thought Dyakowski was in tough to make the final roster.

jerrym
05-27-2017, 09:31 PM
Edwards looked absolutely great during his time last season. I thought Dyakowski was in tough to make the final roster.

Looks like a good deal for the Argos. As Gil the Thrill said, Dyakowski was ? in terms of sticking with all the OL competition in TC. Edwards is not only four years younger, his 231 yards on 19 receptions in only four games suggest he could be very productive in Toronto.

ArgoGabe22
05-27-2017, 09:34 PM
Will Peter report?

gilthethrill
05-27-2017, 10:07 PM
Will Peter report?

Good question. Maybe he goes the same route as Matt Sewell after he was traded to Saskatchewan.

R.J
05-27-2017, 10:13 PM
Great trade by Popp IMO. Edwards looked impressive last season.

Argo57
05-27-2017, 10:17 PM
Great deal by Popp, Dyakowski is on the decline and nearing the end of his career.

ArgoGabe22
05-27-2017, 10:51 PM
A bit of a big name in the NCAA IIRC. I remember hearing about him even though he went to a smaller school. I wonder if having bigger NCAA talent will help so called football fans to start watching the Argos.

Wobbler
05-27-2017, 11:31 PM
Were the Riders planning to go with two INTs on their OL? Today's surprise retirement of Marc-Olivier Brouillette may have forced them to re-think their INT deployment.

I don't think I've seen Edwards play, but his numbers look good and it's reassuring to add a receiver with some CFL experience to our list of mostly rookies.

Stevoman
05-27-2017, 11:54 PM
He makes the receiving corps much stronger but always concerned about losing someone on the O-Line. Overall, I think it is a good trade though.

Neely2005
05-28-2017, 12:22 AM
Will Peter report?

Yes:

http://3downnation.com/2017/05/27/traded-riders-peter-dyakowski-plans-report-sources/

paulwoods13
05-28-2017, 11:34 AM
I'm not concerned about o-line depth. Assuming VZ, Holmes and McEwen start, that leaves one starting guard spot to be contested between Deane, Watman, Sackey, Campbell and Woods. Three of those guys are inexperienced but at least Sackey and Campbell have been in the league for a year. Dyakowski was unlikely to start IMO. Our biggest need (aside from LT) is a backup centre. I assume that's Watman, and that Deane will win the RG spot.

Gill The Thrill
05-28-2017, 02:00 PM
I'm not concerned about o-line depth. Assuming VZ, Holmes and McEwen start, that leaves one starting guard spot to be contested between Deane, Watman, Sackey, Campbell and Woods. Three of those guys are inexperienced but at least Sackey and Campbell have been in the league for a year. Dyakowski was unlikely to start IMO. Our biggest need (aside from LT) is a backup centre. I assume that's Watman, and that Deane will win the RG spot.

They've also signed O-Lineman Jay Guillermo who is coming out of Clemson, so you know he's played in some big games in his college career. I suspect the 6'3" 310 Lbs international will have every opportunity to make the team and possibly start. That makes up the depth on O-line after trading Dyakowski.

OV Argo
05-28-2017, 02:30 PM
I never understood the Dyakowski signing other than a desperate need to get an experienced O-Lineman? - he looked weak for the Ticats last year and lost his job to a rookie draft pick. If Deane and Holmes are the starting guards, there is still Watman around as an experienced back-up interior guy, plus Sackey, Campbell and draft pick Woods.

Really impressed by some of the receiver talent Edwards flashed for the Riders last season; former college ball QB, but looked like a big -play receiver; however - not sure he is a lock to make this Argo receiving corps; Green & Fuller as CFL vets, and then a bunch of the new import receivers have arguably quite superior receiver resumes compared to Edwards = lots of competition there, which is very good. The starting 5 pack is going to be a very interesting TC battle, and there could be some real surprises there.

Gill The Thrill
05-28-2017, 02:42 PM
I never understood the Dyakowski signing other than a desperate need to get an experienced O-Lineman? - he looked weak for the Ticats last year and lost his job to a rookie draft pick. If Deane and Holmes are the starting guards, there is still Watman around as an experienced back-up interior guy, plus Sackey, Campbell and draft pick Woods.

Really impressed by some of the receiver talent Edwards flashed for the Riders last season; former college ball QB, but looked like a big -play receiver; however - not sure he is a lock to make this Argo receiving corps; Green & Fuller as CFL vets, and then a bunch of the new import receivers have arguably quite superior receiver resumes compared to Edwards = lots of competition there, which is very good. The starting 5 pack is going to be a very interesting TC battle, and there could be some real surprises there.

I wouldn't discount the speedster from Fresno State, Devon Wylie from getting more time at a receiver position. He did catch the ball in tight spaces last year in limited action, and was pretty steady as a kickoff and punt returner.

Rich
05-29-2017, 12:45 AM

In Zicarelli's article Friday Popp seemed to be suggesting that Green will be on the IL for at least the first six games and probably more. They don't want to rush him back from his surgery. That opens up the WR competition even more. Fuller's the only opening day lock, but I like Edwards, I like Wylie, and I can't wait to see what Stephen Hill can do. Jones and Noel are also probably locks.

gilthethrill
05-29-2017, 05:57 AM
Great trade by Popp IMO. Edwards looked impressive last season.

Also good on Spencer Zimmerman for bringing Dyakowski in to begin with.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8