PDA

View Full Version : Argonauts go All Canadian Offensive Line

Oarsman
05-02-2012, 05:11 PM
I was eaves dropping in on a conversation between Jim Barker and a Season ticket holder at the unveiling of the uni's. Jim Barker said the plan was go with an All Canadian Offensive Line. This is the reason why they signed veteran OL Wayne Smith who will end up playing Left Tackle. If they sign Tyler Holmes, I think they should be set on the OL with some depth.

Wobbler
05-02-2012, 05:24 PM
There's nothing wrong with entertaining the notion and trying it in camp, but that should not be "the plan". Wayne Smith would be a downgrade at LT and I'm not convinced that we can afford one.

If true, this speaks to a serious lack of confidence in our non-OL non-import starters after Foley and Durie.

Oarsman
05-02-2012, 05:27 PM
There's nothing wrong with entertaining the notion and trying it in camp, but that should not be "the plan". Wayne Smith would be a downgrade at LT and I'm not convinced that we can afford one.

If true, this speaks to a serious lack of confidence in our non-OL non-import starters after Foley and Durie.

Quite the contrary, I did hear him say that he has 9 Canadians who can start -
5 Offensive Lineman
Pottinger
Foley
Durie
Watt

paulwoods13
05-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Starting nine NIs should absolutely be the goal, if there are nine capable of starting, as I feel there are. Not completely convinced about Watt, but there are also Bradwell and Feoli-Gudino at receiver, and Matt Black at corner. So I see no reason nine can't start -- that would provide maximum roster flexiblity for both the inevitability of injuries and situation substitution. I want to see how healthy Wayne Smith is (and I have to admit I see him as more of a guard than a tackle) but if he is healthy I don't think he's a big downgrade at LT because Murphy was not very good last year, IMO. Coughman was pretty good, though, so Smith should have to out-perform him in camp to win the spot.

Counting the minutes until the inevitable "penciling in" blast from OV . . .

KCargosfan
05-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Starting nine NIs should absolutely be the goal, if there are nine capable of starting, as I feel there are. Not completely convinced about Watt, but there are also Bradwell and Feoli-Gudino at receiver, and Matt Black at corner. So I see no reason nine can't start -- that would provide maximum roster flexiblity for both the inevitability of injuries and situation substitution. I want to see how healthy Wayne Smith is (and I have to admit I see him as more of a guard than a tackle) but if he is healthy I don't think he's a big downgrade at LT because Murphy was not very good last year, IMO. Coughman was pretty good, though, so Smith should have to out-perform him in camp to win the spot.

Counting the minutes until the inevitable "penciling in" blast from OV . . .

That "penciling in" of Canadian starters is ridiculous. Leave it to the CFL to screw players like Coughman.

OV Argo
05-02-2012, 09:42 PM
That "penciling in" of Canadian starters is ridiculous. Leave it to the CFL to screw players like Coughman.

That's it exactly; Coughman has such a superlative resume at OT - way better than Holmes or Wayne Smith or Parenteau or Eppelle - why, he or any other import OT should be pencilled in to start, well, just because - it's better to assume by CFL GOBs that imports should start given a ratio situation; and forget about another NI receiver besides Durie (maybe) starting - you heard it here. Not sure there is any room for a NI starting MLB either - if it's 5 NI O-Linemen + Durie + Foley = i'll bet you dollars to donuts MLB is pencilled in import.

marcwagz
05-02-2012, 11:21 PM
i dont see why we wouldnt start pottinger, we dont have anyone good enough to take his place

ArgoRavi
05-03-2012, 04:17 AM
That's it exactly; Coughman has such a superlative resume at OT - way better than Holmes or Wayne Smith or Parenteau or Eppelle - why, he or any other import OT should be pencilled in to start, well, just because - it's better to assume by CFL GOBs that imports should start given a ratio situation; and forget about another NI receiver besides Durie (maybe) starting - you heard it here. Not sure there is any room for a NI starting MLB either - if it's 5 NI O-Linemen + Durie + Foley = i'll bet you dollars to donuts MLB is pencilled in import.

I thought that you said something similar two years ago before Pottinger started the entire season at MLB.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8