PDA

View Full Version : Argonotes are no more

QBall
06-12-2017, 10:39 AM
It appears due to a conflict between the band and the Argos the group has decided to disband. After 22 years it's a shame to lose such a unique aspect of the organization.

Topshelf
06-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Manufactured atmosphere never works. The Argonotes could have been an asset in the Argos attempt to create a true GameDay experience.
I'd love to sit in on these marketing meetings to try to better understand the logic on how to improve crowd size, and atmosphere.

Shatto
06-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Would really like to know the details of the "conflict". It is a pity, that almost a quarter of a century history of the Argonotes, could be thrown away without an objective explanation by the organization.

Scooter McCray
06-12-2017, 12:00 PM
I think the organization have sold so many tickets that there is no room at the inn for the Argonotes (sarcasm). It would have been nice to hear at the town hall what the marketing plans and strategy are to rebuild the fan base. All I heard was it is a slow process. In other words get ready for small crowds and we are okay with that. All I have seen is smaller marketing budget, smaller tailgate and shipyard, smaller radio presence, smaller season ticket base, no Argonotes. On the field has been fixed, but that was good luck rather than planning. Popp and Trestman just happened to be available. The only positive business decision in my mind that has been made in the off-season was the hiring of Michael Hook. Group sales will gradually improve and he has a wealth of experience and business network to draw on. I am excited for the season on the field but have resigned myself to seeing small crowds again. And half a stadium of Hamilton fans is no way to create a home field atmosphere. That is a lazy way to market your team. Let the other guys do it for you. I hope I'm wrong about all of this by the way. Somebody tell me they see something else.

Mightygoose
06-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Agreed, it would be nice to know the reason for the Argonotes departure specifically what team's plan is and how the Notes don't fit in. I'm not ready to vilify anyone here without more details.

As for the small rebuild of the fan base, it would have been nice to have that message last year and it would have tampered expectations here and in the media in general. I'm not expecting big crowds this year and will just try not and worry about it. I'm confident Mike and his team have a good long term plan

Will
06-12-2017, 12:28 PM
The new regime got off on the wrong foot with several of the fan groups from what I understand. They have been trying to fix that this off-season. I do not know the specifics of how or why Steve made this decision or whether the Argos attempted to mend fences.

AngeloV
06-12-2017, 12:35 PM
It's too bad. Steve is a real good guy, and they seemed to have their own following before and after games. Hopefully, something will happen to rectify this.

As an aside, the music between plays at the pre season game was horrendous. Nothing worse than some fly by night DJ taking a classic song and, for lack of a better word, discoing it up.

Will
06-12-2017, 12:42 PM
The Argonotes were a popular fixture at games. Heck, they even came out to Ft. McMurray for the game in 2015.

Interested to hear the full story here.

argonaut11xx
06-12-2017, 12:45 PM
It's too bad. Steve is a real good guy, and they seemed to have their own following before and after games. Hopefully, something will happen to rectify this.

As an aside, the music between plays at the pre season game was horrendous. Nothing worse than some fly by night DJ taking a classic song and, for lack of a better word, discoing it up.

HAHA...love that word Ang.

but in a mild defence of Disco, I really did enjoy watching the Argo Sunshine Girls dance to "Celebration" by disco kings Kool and the Gang.

(I think I just dated myself)

gilthethrill
06-12-2017, 12:47 PM
This is sad news to put it mildly. Argonotes really livened up the stadium. I don't understand how this decision came to be.

shayman
06-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Thanks everybody. I need to put out a statement or something but for now, let me just say, this was my decision (after a lot of thought), not the team's. The team was willing to have us back and I'm very grateful for their support (and yours) over the years.

AngeloV
06-12-2017, 02:09 PM
HAHA...love that word Ang.

but in a mild defence of Disco, I really did enjoy watching the Argo Sunshine Girls dance to "Celebration" by disco kings Kool and the Gang.

(I think I just dated myself)

naw. Early 80's Super Freak still is tops in my book.

Mulder
06-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Thanks everybody. I need to put out a statement or something but for now, let me just say, this was my decision (after a lot of thought), not the team's. The team was willing to have us back and I'm very grateful for their support (and yours) over the years.

Thanks for all your dedication over the years with this Steve, you, and your band were always an important part of my game day experience and enjoyment at Argo games and a reason why I am a fan of this team and league.

One more time!

16B Or is it 136 now???

Neely2005
06-12-2017, 03:36 PM

Sorry to hear this and thanks for all the music over the years.

https://youtu.be/uAsV5-Hv-7U

paulwoods13
06-12-2017, 07:00 PM
This is really sad news. The Argonotes were a truly grassroots venture that made thousands of football fans (and others) smile a lot over the past two decades. Their rendition of "Argos Rule the CFL" was always a personal favourite, especially the lyrics.

I would have loved to play with the band -- if only they weren't working during Argo games (when I'd rather pay attention to the game), I'd have been there, trombone in hand.

Steve, thanks for brightening our days and nights many times over the years. We will miss you!

ArgoGabe22
06-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Go Argos Go will be forgotten tune. One thing I don't understand is how the team fails to use the song after touchdowns. Argonotes will be missed by everyone across the league. It's what made the CFL so unique. Ive always considered the Argonotes as a bit of a hidden gem. Sad day in Argoland.

ArgoRavi
06-12-2017, 11:03 PM
Would really like to know the details of the "conflict". It is a pity, that almost a quarter of a century history of the Argonotes, could be thrown away without an objective explanation by the organization.

As Steve has said, there was no conflict.

jennfootball
06-13-2017, 08:02 PM
As Steve has said, there was no conflict.

He said it was his decision to ultimately not come back - that doesn't mean that there weren't differences of vision for how game day would look with regards to the band. I'm going to miss the band and the atmosphere they brought. Sometimes they were the biggest bright spot in the game.

Bleeds Double Blue
06-13-2017, 11:46 PM
One of my favorite memories from last year's Grey Cup was the Argonotes and the Rider Pep Band joining forces at the Shipyard. East and West together as one epitomized the camaraderie of the Grey Cup festival. I wish all involved the very best.

jerrym
06-14-2017, 02:17 AM
What a sad end!

jerrym
06-14-2017, 02:19 AM
He said it was his decision to ultimately not come back - that doesn't mean that there weren't differences of vision for how game day would look with regards to the band. I'm going to miss the band and the atmosphere they brought. Sometimes they were the biggest bright spot in the game.

Welcome on board the sometimes puzzling ship Argos. It's too bad your first post had to involve such a sad event.

Scooter McCray
06-14-2017, 10:11 AM
It's a band. There is more than one person. I'm sure if Steve wished to step away, someone else may have wanted to keep the tradition going. I'm pretty sure the entire band didn't want to retire. There is more going on here than meets the eye. If the organization wants to take game day in a more modern direction that's fine. It would be nice if they would articulate what that is and not have the Argonotes run cover for them.

Mightygoose
06-14-2017, 10:48 AM
It may be a band but it's still a volunteer group that requires allot of time and energy on the organizers part. Even if the entire band doesn't want to retire it's very possible that there isn't anyone with the capacity to keep it going with the same standard as it is now.

It's sad to see a long time function end but sometimes thing ends organically and it has very little or nothing to do with the larger organization. I've seen this happen albeit on a smaller scale before.

Neely2005
06-14-2017, 11:49 AM

It doesn't mean that there were either though.

1971GreyCup
06-14-2017, 05:15 PM
It's a band. There is more than one person. I'm sure if Steve wished to step away, someone else may have wanted to keep the tradition going. I'm pretty sure the entire band didn't want to retire. There is more going on here than meets the eye. If the organization wants to take game day in a more modern direction that's fine. It would be nice if they would articulate what that is and not have the Argonotes run cover for them.

I too suspect that a more modern approach was encouraged. I hope not, because until the Argos start attracting the Millenials, GenX & Gen Z the least they can do is entertain the current demographic. Too many changes for my liking.

Argofan_1000
06-14-2017, 07:11 PM
band could of been selective and only do opening game, maybe one
of the holiday games or playoffs.

In fact I think you should of did this.

Can another group keep the name

Neely2005
06-15-2017, 08:20 AM
The Argonotes also put a message up on their Facebook Page.

argofan81
06-15-2017, 11:30 AM
The Argonotes also put a message up on their Facebook Page.

A comment on the Facebook post noted that while the Argos were willing to have them back it was with terms and conditions. Those terms and conditions did not seem to jive with the vision that the band had in terms of the role the band would play on game day. Not sure if the individual who made the comment was a member of the band or not, so take this with a grain of salt in terms of validity.

ArgoGabe22
06-15-2017, 11:41 AM
A comment on the Facebook post noted that while the Argos were willing to have them back it was with terms and conditions. Those terms and conditions did not seem to jive with the vision that the band had in terms of the role the band would play on game day. Not sure if the individual who made the comment was a member of the band or not, so take this with a grain of salt in terms of validity.

It's 100% valid. That individual would know more than anyone.

ArgoGabe22
07-04-2017, 08:11 PM
https://theathletic.com/72932/2017/07/04/argonauts-strike-chord-by-nudging-argonotes-their-pep-band-into-early-retirement/

Wobbler
07-04-2017, 08:32 PM
This outcome might be reasonable if the team had a big entertainment plan that would be incompatible with the Argonotes. But... is there any evidence of that so far?

Argo57
07-04-2017, 08:46 PM
This outcome might be reasonable if the team had a big entertainment plan that would be incompatible with the Argonotes. But... is there any evidence of that so far?

None so far Wobbler, this organization seems oblivious to the concept of good public relations.
A loyal and entertaining bunch of characters (Argonotes) cast aside with no explanation or show of gratitude.... brutal at times.

paulwoods13
07-04-2017, 08:50 PM
This is a mistake by the org, plain and simple. A grassroots support operation that everyone loved. No good reason to ditch them has been given.

Will
07-04-2017, 08:55 PM
Mind-boggling.

Neely2005
07-04-2017, 09:53 PM
I was hoping that this wasn't the case / cause. This is yet another mistake by our Argonauts.

Mightygoose
07-04-2017, 09:55 PM
On one hand I agree it's sad to see a long time part of the team be no more.

On the other hand, it does show that the organization has a vision on what the game day entertainment and experience to look like. Though it would be nice to see them incorporated into game days, it's easier to have performance standards to measure up to when you hire a band as opposed to an volunteer organization.

Weather this is a good or bad move remains to be seen. I'd rather see them go with new ideas and revert back (or a hybrid of it) if they need to as opposed to doing things the same way because it's always been done a certain way.

1971GreyCup
07-04-2017, 10:20 PM
I can say it's a mistake to stopping things that work, in the absence of new successes.

A huge reason for the deterioration of Argos interest is that as each regime comes in, they abandon the initiatives of the previous group. This is another example of a fan favourite experience being jettisoned. Until new intiatives are established, its foolish and dangerous to alienate the current season ticket holders.

Before the Argos worry about offending GenX and GenZ with old fashion music, they had better attract them!

I am starting to believe that the current group has been given plenty of opportunity and time to show improvement. The clock is now ticking.

Argo57
07-04-2017, 10:24 PM
On one hand I agree it's sad to see a long time part of the team be no more.

On the other hand, it does show that the organization has a vision on what the game day entertainment and experience to look like. Though it would be nice to see them incorporated into game days, it's easier to have performance standards to measure up to when you hire a band as opposed to an volunteer organization.

Weather this is a good or bad move remains to be seen. I'd rather see them go with new ideas and revert back (or a hybrid of it) if they need to as opposed to doing things the same way because it's always been done a certain way.

Wonder when the organization will share their new vision.
Contrary to your statement I personally had no issues with the Argonotes musical standards and always thought it was great that a group of Argonaut fans volunteered their time to enhance the game day experience.

Mightygoose
07-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Wonder when the organization will share their new vision.
Contrary to your statement I personally had no issues with the Argonotes musical standards.

I doubt we'll get an answer in greater detail until the next town hall meeting unless someone from the organization or Argonotes can chime in here.

I agree the Argonotes did a good job at the same I think the 416Beats do a solid job too and I haven't noticed anything less from them.

416Beats are used by a number of functions throughout the city including the Raptors which may explain why the organization looked in that direction.

Shatto
07-04-2017, 11:09 PM
It sounds from the article, they were not officially kicked out but rather made to feel unwelcome. Great to try new things to attract new fans but not at the expense of upsetting present fans. Looks like another bad read of the situation by Copeland.

Mightygoose
07-04-2017, 11:52 PM
So I guess no one liked 416Beats then? I thought they did a good job.

Going back to the team's vision on game entertainment. The team mentioned they wanted to create a college game type atmosphere which will include the use of a band.

The question that can come up is...well they already had a band? That's true the organization does....they're called 416Beats.
Yes it's more of a drumline than a full band howeverr with their work on the Raptors, ownership already had a working relationship with a firm they can trust. It's very common with ownership changes, for people to bring in 'their guys'. I think this is an example of it and with them being a professional band, there likely would be contractual language that would limit to what another band can do.

This is just my speculation of course so would love to hear the team's view on this matter.

Argos1983
07-05-2017, 12:31 AM
This is a mistake by the org, plain and simple. A grassroots support operation that everyone loved. No good reason to ditch them has been given.

Yep, couldn't agree more.....as others have said an absolutely idiotic PR move --- hey I have an idea, let's alienate the few die-hards we have left ---- no loyalty shown for these proud few who actually supported this product through the dark ages of Rogers Centre.....ummm for all of you TFC haters out there, the atmosphere that was marketed as the only real selling point for the first 7-8 years of the franchises existence when frankly the soccer sucked something awful (and even today as being the best atmosphere in the city for a sporting event), was all created by grass roots supporters groups that were really from a very small group of fans who got together at various watering holes back in 2006-2007 (or were supporting the Toronto Lynx for goodness sake) and decided to support the product their way (usually based on things they had seen/done in other leagues/countries) -- the front office did not start those groups, the people (like the Argo-notes) started them (I am a member of one of those supporter groups since year 1) and then the front office got on board and created a relationship to work with them accordingly and created a mutually beneficial relationship of co-existence.....it was a "bottom up" (grass roots) and not a "top down" (MLSE corporate) creation as they say....a small group of fans created the atmosphere first and then the team got on board and pushed it along as their marketing tool, the supporters groups were not created by the team --- and that's why they worked, yes there have been some struggles along the way but believe me even starting with 30-100 Argo-notes is bigger numbers than a lot of the supporters groups had way back when, and that now fill the south end with noise and flags and banners etc.

.....but hey.....they've obviously got a plan right.....right? Bueller? Bueller?

Rich
07-05-2017, 02:15 AM

I have to say I love the new drumline group, I thought they created that college football feel even better than the Argonotes did, mostly because I could hear them better. Their sound really bounces off the roof nicely. Great addition to gameday I would say.

On the other hand I love the Argonotes like everyone else for their history and their DIY grass roots feel, too bad some compromise couldn't have been reached. Would they have accepted being allowed to play during, say, one break per quarter?

1971GreyCup
07-05-2017, 06:41 AM
Why does it have to be this or that? Tim Hortons Field has 28 separate game day events going on concurrently. We're constantly dropping one, and adding one. Makes absolutely no sense.

Neely2005
07-05-2017, 08:29 AM
Why does it have to be this or that? Tim Hortons Field has 28 separate game day events going on concurrently. We're constantly dropping one, and adding one. Makes absolutely no sense.

Exactly. There is room for both the drum line and the Argonotes. The A Team dance team seems redundant though.

Jamiedykstra
07-05-2017, 08:51 AM
Exactly. There is room for both the drum line and the Argonotes. The A Team dance team seems redundant though.

All - thanks for the passion on this topic. I just wanted to jump in quickly to state that the organization absolutely agrees there is room for more than one entertainment or grassroots group to be a part of the game day experience for Argos games. We have the utmost respect for the Argonotes and wish they were still involved and a part of the game day experience. Steve knows the door is always open. After he informed us that the band decided they would not be back this year, we reached out to them to see if they would be open to being a part of the back-to-back Grey Cup celebration on July 24 since they were a part of the team then. Our goal has always been to make Argos at BMO Field a great game day experience. We hoped the Argonotes would be a part of it, but we respect their decision not to be. We will continue to strive towards elevating the game day experience. If you ever have any game day experience ideas or feedback, please feel free to send them to me: jdykstra@argonauts.ca.

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to seeing you all on the 24th.

Jamie

doubleblue
07-05-2017, 10:07 AM
Past Argo Management used to poll the fans ( I think it was during the Pelley era) and maybe it was just for season ticket holders. But if you want to know what the people are really thinking or why they are not going to games, duh, might be something to try again. I remember one big thing I put down on my survey back then was the unending unGodly music, because I had finally got my wife to attend a game with me and we couldn't communicate with each other sitting side by side. So of course that was her first and last time. The drum roll doesn't do anything for me or these guys throwing the girls in the air, but if it helps bring in fans I have no objection.
But I understand they are trying to reach the younger fans to make it "like awesome" "like" (I think that the big word now for the younger generation). But I notice the younger generation are generally there with their parents or grandparents and the last time I checked most of them have a lot of influence over what junior thinks or does.
On the Argonotes. It looks like on the surface to me, that the Argos would be just as happy if they disappeared while trying to sound like they wanted them back.

ArgoGabe22
07-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Past Argo Management used to poll the fans ( I think it was during the Pelley era) and maybe it was just for season ticket holders. But if you want to know what the people are really thinking or why they are not going to games, duh, might be something to try again.

Argos had a survey after last season. More so about scheduling but it still provided opportunities for you to fill in your own thoughts. Plus there are Town Halls, Argo fan meeting with Copeland and co., and employees like Hook and encourage anyone to contact them.

QBall
07-05-2017, 10:45 AM
The question that can come up is...well they already had a band? That's true the organization does....they're called 416Beats.
Yes it's more of a drumline than a full band howeverr with their work on the Raptors, ownership already had a working relationship with a firm they can trust. It's very common with ownership changes, for people to bring in 'their guys'. I think this is an example of it and with them being a professional band, there likely would be contractual language that would limit to what another band can do.

416Beats is a band for hire. Their loyalty is bought which means once the money runs out so do they. This is in contrast to an organization like the Argonotes which will stick with the team through thick and thin and all the ask for is a small section of a stadium which never sells out anyway. That is something that money can't buy. Only Saskatchewan and Toronto had this, and even amongst the teams in Toronto only the Argonauts had this, and they pissed it away because of a "vision".

Neely2005
07-05-2017, 11:25 AM
Past Argo Management used to poll the fans ( I think it was during the Pelley era) and maybe it was just for season ticket holders. But if you want to know what the people are really thinking or why they are not going to games, duh, might be something to try again. I remember one big thing I put down on my survey back then was the unending unGodly music, because I had finally got my wife to attend a game with me and we couldn't communicate with each other sitting side by side. So of course that was her first and last time. The drum roll doesn't do anything for me or these guys throwing the girls in the air, but if it helps bring in fans I have no objection.
But I understand they are trying to reach the younger fans to make it "like awesome" "like" (I think that the big word now for the younger generation). But I notice the younger generation are generally there with their parents or grandparents and the last time I checked most of them have a lot of influence over what junior thinks or does.
On the Argonotes. It looks like on the surface to me, that the Argos would be just as happy if they disappeared while trying to sound like they wanted them back.

There were 2 season ticket holder surveys last year. They seem to have implemented a lot of the suggestions already.

shayman
07-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Live. July 24. BMO Field. One. Night. Only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzOHq5WbQ8k

Mightygoose
07-05-2017, 01:25 PM
416Beats is a band for hire. Their loyalty is bought which means once the money runs out so do they. This is in contrast to an organization like the Argonotes which will stick with the team through thick and thin and all the ask for is a small section of a stadium which never sells out anyway. That is something that money can't buy. Only Saskatchewan and Toronto had this, and even amongst the teams in Toronto only the Argonauts had this, and they pissed it away because of a "vision".

The players on the field we cheer on are for hire too but I don't see anyone making a fuss out of this.

Either way how can the Argos piss something away when they clearly said they wanted them in and it was the Argonotes that declined? At least for this season.

paulwoods13
07-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Either way how can the Argos piss something away when they clearly said they wanted them in and it was the Argonotes that declined? At least for this season.

It's equally clear the Argos didn't want the band to play during games. What's the point in having a band if it can't play? No wonder the Notes said no. The org should rethink this, IMO.

Mightygoose
07-05-2017, 03:21 PM
It's equally clear the Argos didn't want the band to play during games. What's the point in having a band if it can't play? No wonder the Notes said no. The org should rethink this, IMO.

I'm confident they'll figure out a way to incorporate them into future seasons. Based on response here and the organization taking the time to address it, there's a compromise somewhere much like how bringing/keeping Hogan on the radio in some level.

With the Argonotes on board for July 24, at least we know there's no rift between the 2 firms and hopefully they'll forge something for 2018 and beyond.

Shatto
07-05-2017, 06:58 PM
It is not uncommon for an organization, which wishes to end a relationship with a person or group, to make conditions untenable for the person/group and make it clear that they have fallen from favour. When the person/group inevitably ends the relationship as unworkable, the organization can then claim it was the person's/group's decision, not theirs. The person/group has been maneuvered into leaving. Having reread the article, this is exactly what Hayman contends happened. It is effective but not a very honourable thing to do.

Again a decision has been made without proper examination of the possible negative consequences. This appears to be a habit of Copeland and company. The decision making strategies of senior management leaves one to question, how a supposedly smart group continues to get it wrong. There is a desperate need for a refresher course in Business 101.

Wobbler
07-05-2017, 07:18 PM
I'm confident they'll figure out a way to incorporate them into future seasons
An amateur team-focused band isn't something you can pencil into your future plans. Why would they continue to exist in any form, now that their only purpose no longer exists?

Mightygoose
07-05-2017, 08:50 PM
An amateur team-focused band isn't something you can pencil into your future plans. Why would they continue to exist in any form, now that their only purpose no longer exists?

Considering both the team and those from Argonotes have said there was a role for the band to be part of team, something was going to be penciled but declined.

Other than not playing during games, very few would know what was actually discussed and offerd. Since we do know that they will be part of the July 24 game, that suggests that the relationship is not soured so I wouldn't rule out them being back in the future.

ArgoGabe22
07-05-2017, 09:05 PM
Considering both the team and those from Argonotes have said there was a role for the band to be part of team, something was going to be penciled but declined.

Other than not playing during games, very few would know what was actually discussed and offerd. Since we do know that they will be part of the July 24 game, that suggests that the relationship is not soured so I wouldn't rule out them being back in the future.

It's obvious the Argonotes have a purpose and do desire some sort of appreciation from the team. That could easily be some form of more play time. With the Argos hiring their own form of in game entertainment, it became clear team did not share the same vision. Argonotes aren't going to come and compete with the in-game DJ (which I think is a complete waste of funds). If the Argonotes feel like the team has silenced them a bit, then I don't blame them for "retiring". There is obviously more to the story, but I think the Athetic story tells enough. There's no need for you defend the team or 416 beats in every one of your posts. Argonotes don't feel welcomed/appreciated. I think it's become clear.

Mightygoose
07-05-2017, 09:54 PM
It's obvious the Argonotes have a purpose and do desire some sort of appreciation from the team. That could easily be some form of more play time. With the Argos hiring their own form of in game entertainment, it became clear team did not share the same vision. Argonotes aren't going to come and compete with the in-game DJ (which I think is a complete waste of funds). If the Argonotes feel like the team has silenced them a bit, then I don't blame them for "retiring". There is obviously more to the story, but I think the Athetic story tells enough. There's no need for you defend the team or 416 beats in every one of your posts. Argonotes don't feel welcomed/appreciated. I think it's become clear.

I will agree there is more to the story than what's appearing on both their posts and in the Athletic article which is why I guess some could say I'm defending the team or what I call - an alternate viewpoint.

There was a harsh criticism with the team during the 'Foley released by text' incident. We got a more complete picture during town hall and fences were mended.

There was harsh criticism when they announced Hogan and the radio coverage would be no more and for good reason. They listened and a compromise was done.

So with this, there is still another chapter IMO and will respectively disagree that they're trying to aliente the fanbase and let's see how they move forward. If the Argonotes don't feel appreciated and are that strong about it, I don't think they would come back on the 24th. The door is clearly open.

QBall
07-06-2017, 10:52 AM
The players on the field we cheer on are for hire too but I don't see anyone making a fuss out of this.

Players come and go but the fans are suppose to be for life. You hire players but you're not suppose to hire fans. Fan devotion needs to be supported, especially when the on-field product has been so poor, because that is what makes them fans for life.

And the Argos pissed it away because you don't instill conditions on an organization like the Argonotes for them to appear. A fan based band, especially in Canada, is Sasquatch level rare and is something you're supposed to support because once it's gone you don't get it back.

1971GreyCup
07-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Argonotes are returning for the July 24th game. Is this another 2 steps back, one step forward.

Someone mentioned an Argos game day DJ? That's news to us. We're on the 50 yard line and had no idea there was a DJ spinning records. I wonder what other game day events are going on, that we have no idea are taking place?

Mightygoose
07-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Below is an article talking about the changes in game day experience for this year including the DJ booth.

https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/06/21/argos-football-returns-bmo-field-with-better-fan-focused-gameday-experience/

Seems like a good attempt to modernize the game day. Allot of these are done at Raptor games which has the young demographic which the team is trying to attact.

Hopefully the team and Argonotes can agree on a path forward. Make good things better.

Argo57
07-07-2017, 06:38 PM
Below is an article talking about the changes in game day experience for this year including the DJ booth.

https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/06/21/argos-football-returns-bmo-field-with-better-fan-focused-gameday-experience/

Seems like a good attempt to modernize the game day. Allot of these are done at Raptor games which has the young demographic which the team is trying to attact.

Hopefully the team and Argonotes can agree on a path forward. Make good things better.

I didn't even notice until my son pointed the DJ out to me.

Argocister
07-09-2017, 12:16 AM
Live. July 24. BMO Field. One. Night. Only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzOHq5WbQ8k

Nice! ..... Thanx for returning Hope to see you at the tailgate too !

1971GreyCup
07-09-2017, 07:49 AM
Argonotes were unique and an experience only Saskatchewan offered. They were a tradition. Argos and Argonotes went hand in hand.

They used to meet up at Grey Cup games and interact. Differences sell! Replicating another franchise game day experience isn't very innovative.

Hopefully, fences will be mended and after July 24th Farewell Tour they'll be a presence again.

Next step bring back TSN1050 radio for all the games and a full post game show. Surprisingly, no other team in the CFL has come to this conclusion. Argos are the only one in trouble right now. Curious?

Ridiculous cost savings move. Either you run a professional franchise and all the accoutrements, or you run the risk of being classified minor league. Not what you want to sell in Toronto.

BATKINSON001
07-09-2017, 09:56 AM
Argonotes were unique and an experience only Saskatchewan offered. They were a tradition. Argos and Argonotes went hand in hand.

They used to meet up at Grey Cup games and interact. Differences sell! Replicating another franchise game day experience isn't very innovative.

Hopefully, fences will be mended and after July 24th Farewell Tour they'll be a presence again.

Next step bring back TSN1050 radio for all the games and a full post game show. Surprisingly, no other team in the CFL has come to this conclusion. Argos are the only one in trouble right now. Curious?

Ridiculous cost savings move. Either you run a professional franchise and all the accoutrements, or you run the risk of being classified minor league. Not what you want to sell in Toronto. Shame there isnt a like or a +1 button as I totally agree with this.

Go all out or not at all, half way measures wont cut it in Toronto.

Argo57
07-09-2017, 11:23 AM

Ridiculous cost savings move. Either you run a professional franchise and all the accoutrements, or you run the risk of being classified minor league. Not what you want to sell in Toronto.

Well stated and right on the mark!!

AngeloV
07-09-2017, 12:31 PM
I've stayed off this topic until now. I respect Steve and what he and his band represent, but I really find some of the views on here as being a bit contradicting. On one hand everyone is talking about things how the team needs to do to get a younger demographic into the park, and on the other hand everyone is up in arms over the team trying to get more hip with a DJ and drum line. I personally, don't care for DJ and what not, but we all agree, that I'm already in the park. They aren't trying to sell me a ticket.

There is a place for the Argonotes for sure, but if the team wants to give them less time and try and fill a void by adding a younger, (perceived) hipper new thing, I'm cool with that. Even if I hate the music being played in house now, I realise, it's not all about me.

ArgoGabe22
09-11-2021, 10:56 PM
Not sure about covid protocols, but with no in game entertainment, is this a golden opportunity for the return of the Argonotes? Just saying....

ArgofanIan
09-12-2021, 09:02 PM
would be really really nice to see ARGONOTes again. even if it was just once or twice year... That would be great... The Eagles were able to get back to gether... for re union tour.... I would contribute some of my season tickets.... if that would help.

Not sure about covid protocols, but with no in game entertainment, is this a golden opportunity for the return of the Argonotes? Just saying....

ArgoFan1
09-12-2021, 10:41 PM
I haven't seen any cheerleaders at the home games either. Have they eliminated them as well ?????

AngeloV
09-13-2021, 10:49 AM
I haven't seen any cheerleaders at the home games either. Have they eliminated them as well ?????

Guessing because of COVID, they decided to scrap the try-outs this year which is why you don't have a cheerleading/dance team.

shayman
10-28-2021, 10:52 AM
would be really really nice to see ARGONOTes again. even if it was just once or twice year... That would be great... The Eagles were able to get back to gether... for re union tour.... I would contribute some of my season tickets.... if that would help.

Thanks - I really appreciate the sentiment.

We tried to put something together. I had a big group ready to come to the game Saturday. Team said "no thank you, maybe next year."

ArgoGabe22
10-28-2021, 11:17 AM
Do you need Team approval to be at least outside of the stadium?

shayman
10-28-2021, 11:32 AM
Do you need Team approval to be at least outside of the stadium?

Probably not -- but much as I love the tailgates personally, without the chance to cheer on the team and actually play a number or two inside, it's a tougher sell (to get people in the band to come out).

The team said "COVID rules don't allow it", which I don't quite understand given that there was a raucous, rowdy full house at BMO for that Canada/Panama soccer match. Oh well. Hope we can pull off a band reunion next year if things are back to normal.

AngeloV
10-28-2021, 12:48 PM
Thanks - I really appreciate the sentiment.

We tried to put something together. I had a big group ready to come to the game Saturday. Team said "no thank you, maybe next year."

Another poor choice by the suits.

Treblecharger1
10-28-2021, 03:28 PM
Probably not -- but much as I love the tailgates personally, without the chance to cheer on the team and actually play a number or two inside, it's a tougher sell (to get people in the band to come out).

The team said "COVID rules don't allow it", which I don't quite understand given that there was a raucous, rowdy full house at BMO for that Canada/Panama soccer match. Oh well. Hope we can pull off a band reunion next year if things are back to normal.

It really is too bad " Band" is not as big as it is in the United States. You could easily fill that whole south end with a giant marching band every game down in the states. Even at the High school level.

Maybe someday

shayman
10-28-2021, 05:56 PM
It really is too bad " Band" is not as big as it is in the United States. You could easily fill that whole south end with a giant marching band every game down in the states. Even at the High school level.

Maybe someday

No kidding. You could fill BMO Field entirely with fans for some high school games. Allen High School in Allen, Texas, routinely fills its own 18,000 seat stadium (and its band has 650 members!)

That's only the fifth largest high school football stadium in Texas, though. It's a different world down there for sure.

ArgofanIan
10-28-2021, 10:07 PM
Bob young would have made this happen. agreed suits let us down again.

Hopefully I am around for a reunion tour. ARGO fans miss you guys.

argofan81
10-29-2021, 09:07 AM

Make no mistake. This is about MLSE pinching pennies. All of it, right down to no cheerleaders/dance team, no on-field giveaways, no half time entertainment, etc., etc.

My husband is a Ti-Cat season ticket holder (& diehard fan — I know, the horror!) and I have been to games this year at Tim Hortons. They have been doing all of the above. Cheerleaders, giveaways, entertainment.

MLSE has also decided to maintain restricted capacity for Argo games despite provincial regulations now allowing for full capacity. Again, pinching the pennies because full capacity would mean having to bring in more stadium staff, etc.

I was one of the fans that breathed a sigh of relief when MLSE became part of the ownership, thinking that they would save the good ship and turn it around. No more — every day I am more convinced that it is their intent to sink it.

AngeloV
10-29-2021, 12:34 PM
MLSE has also decided to maintain restricted capacity for Argo games despite provincial regulations now allowing for full capacity.

With all due respect, (and it really hurts me to say this) they didn't even get close to filling the restricted capacity. Why would they lift the restriction without reason to do so? I'm sure if they came close to selling out the restricted amount, they would add ticket availability.

ArgoRavi
10-30-2021, 12:04 PM
With all due respect, (and it really hurts me to say this) they didn't even get close to filling the restricted capacity. Why would they lift the restriction without reason to do so? I'm sure if they came close to selling out the restricted amount, they would add ticket availability.

It's also weird that there doesn't seem to be restricted capacity for TFC even though they're drawing fewer fans than the Argos.

argolio
11-01-2021, 01:04 PM
It's also weird that there doesn't seem to be restricted capacity for TFC even though they're drawing fewer fans than the Argos.Probably because BMO is also hosting World Cup qualifying games.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8