PDA

View Full Version : Edawn Coughman Arrested for Firearms Offense in Montreal

dmont
05-02-2012, 11:59 PM

This may be one of Barker's worst-case-scenarios. Good luck, Edawn, I hope it's all a misunderstanding...

CFL player charged on weapons offence

By Paul Cherry, Gazette Crime ReporterMay 2, 2012 7:54 PM

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/player+charged+weapons+offence/6554966/story.html#ixzz1tm9Oa37b

MONTREAL - A man who played in the CFL for the Toronto Argonauts last year has been charged at the Montreal courthouse with a weapons offence that carries a 3-year prison term as a mandatory-minimum sentence.

According to an indictment filed in the case, Edawn Coughman, 23, of Lawrenceville, was arrested early Wednesday at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel. He is alleged to have been in possession of a loaded and restricted firearm without a permit.

Montreal police spokesperson Constable Daniel Lacoursière said the man was arrested with a firearm in a room of the hotel at around 3 a.m. Wednesday. He said police were called to the room after "receiving information from a citizen."

Coughman appeared briefly before a judge at the Montreal courthouse where a prosecutor objected to his release. A judge ordered that he be held for a bail hearing Thursday. His defence lawyer described Coughman as “an American pro athlete” and asked that Coughman have permission to access his cellphone so he could reach his agent. The judge approved the request.

Coughman, who stands 6 feet 4 inches tall and weighs more than 300 pounds, played for the Argonauts in 2011 as a tackle late in the season after being part of the team’s practice squad for most of the year.

According to the Argonauts official website he is still considered part of the team’s roster.

The maximum possible sentence Coughman faces under the weapons charge is ten years.

KCargosfan
05-03-2012, 12:06 AM
3 years in jail for carrying a gun? Wow.

dmont
05-03-2012, 12:20 AM

Luckily, we've already found a replacement:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t94/dmont_01/1335934422805_ORIGINAL.jpg

BATKINSON001
05-03-2012, 12:27 AM

Luckily, we've already found a replacement:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t94/dmont_01/1335934422805_ORIGINAL.jpg

LOL.

10char

Argocister
05-03-2012, 12:34 AM
So I guess the first draft pick is a tackle?

1argoholic
05-03-2012, 12:36 AM
This isn't the country with The Right To Bare Arms. The guy should know you don't just hang around with a gun tucked in your pants unless your in the Vancouver gang war. Time to cut his big ass loose. Next time I see you Edawn it'll be on Cops.

bluto
05-03-2012, 12:40 AM
It was a restricted weapon (ie: handgun) that was neither in his home nor at his range... and it was loaded. two HUGE firearm no-nos in Canada. They will not go easy on Edawn. This really sucks.

This isn't the country with The Right To Bare Arms. The guy should know you don't just hang around with a gun tucked in your pants unless your in the Vancouver gang war. Time to cut his big ass loose. Next time I see you Edawn it'll be on Cops.

that's a bit harsh... there's no evidence that he was up to no good (i think...) just that he was ignorant of our firearm laws which are way more restrictive than his home of Georgia where carrying a handgun is totally legal.
having said that... he was up here long enough to have found out what our rules are and was foolish to not have followed them like every gun owner i know takes great care to do.

yup. our penalties for improper transportation, possession and/or storage of firearms are very severe.

Invader
05-03-2012, 01:08 AM

A guy in B.C. was just sentenced to 7 1/2 years in prison this week for possession of a loaded handgun.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Vancouver+gangster+caught+with+loaded+sentenced+ye ars/6549445/story.html

Nob
05-03-2012, 01:16 AM
I guess that Wayne Smith signing to play LT is looking better by the moment....

ArgoGabe22
05-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Totally unexpected. The Wayne Smith signing is looking pretty good right now.

gilthethrill
05-03-2012, 10:09 AM
I am expecting Tyler Holmes, last years #1 pick to be in the mix. It will be interested to see how the detail unfold on the Coughman arrest. Is he now residing in the Province of Quebec?

1argoholic
05-03-2012, 10:51 AM
The guy hasn't had a great relationship with staying on the up and up. Wasn't he also a dead beat dad? No excuse for hauling around a gun in Montreal. They're pretty sensitive in a city wear gang wars have been huge in the not so distant past. I hope he didn't mention that he was an Argonaut as that'll end him up with more jail time. haha. I was being a shite with my first post.
It could be something or it could get all thrown out.

ArgoRavi
05-03-2012, 12:45 PM
The guy hasn't had a great relationship with staying on the up and up. Wasn't he also a dead beat dad? No excuse for hauling around a gun in Montreal. They're pretty sensitive in a city wear gang wars have been huge in the not so distant past. I hope he didn't mention that he was an Argonaut as that'll end him up with more jail time. haha. I was being a shite with my first post.
It could be something or it could get all thrown out.

In Quebec, I think that guns are a sensitive topic because of the Montreal Massacre of 1989 more than anything else. Anyway, if these charges are true, this is poor judgment on Coughman's part and certainly at a time when his career is somewhat vulnerable at that.

RoRoYoBoat
05-03-2012, 01:10 PM
A lot of weird stuff here.

1- What was he doing in a Montreal hotel room ?
2- Citizen ? More like hooker or Stripper

He will serve 90 days and be deported to the US is my guess.

In Quebec, I think that guns are a sensitive topic because of the Montreal Massacre of 1989 more than anything else. Anyway, if these charges are true, this is poor judgment on Coughman's part and certainly at a time when his career is somewhat vulnerable at that.

He does not have a career anymore.

1argoholic
05-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Why would a guy his size need to carry a gun? For protection? hahaha.

KCargosfan
05-03-2012, 03:32 PM
A guy in B.C. was just sentenced to 7 1/2 years in prison this week for possession of a loaded handgun.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Vancouver+gangster+caught+with+loaded+sentenced+ye ars/6549445/story.html

Interesting. Can't wait to see what the entire story with Coughman is. I've never had a gun, but if I ever move to Canada I'll never even think of getting one.

bluto
05-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Interesting. Can't wait to see what the entire story with Coughman is. I've never had a gun, but if I ever move to Canada I'll never even think of getting one.

it isn't that big of a deal. there are 3 million licensed firearm owners in Canada... almost one in every ten of us.

we just have strict laws and severe penalties.

KCargosfan
05-03-2012, 04:46 PM
it isn't that big of a deal. there are 3 million licensed firearm owners in Canada... almost one in every ten of us.

we just have strict laws and severe penalties.

So basically as long as you register it with the Feds you're all right.

jerrym
05-03-2012, 04:57 PM
With the wealth of talent churned out of US colleges and cut from pro leagues maybe the Argos can find an American OL somewhere. Otherwise, having 9 Canadian OL in camp, may be the biggest blessing this year.

bluto
05-03-2012, 05:43 PM
So basically as long as you register it with the Feds you're all right.

actually, our long-gun registry got abolished a little over a week ago. some provinces though aren't playing fair... Ontario's chief firearms officer and a certain city councilor in Toronto are fighting against returning/destroying all of the information gathered in the (now illegal) registry... more lawsuits to come no doubt.

AngeloV
05-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Don't care for guns. Everyone that carries one could go to jail for all I care. Just my opinion.

cossack
05-03-2012, 10:03 PM
It was a restricted weapon (ie: handgun) that was neither in his home nor at his range... and it was loaded. two HUGE firearm no-nos in Canada. They will not go easy on Edawn. This really sucks.

that's a bit harsh... there's no evidence that he was up to no good (i think...) just that he was ignorant of our firearm laws which are way more restrictive than his home of Georgia where carrying a handgun is totally legal.
having said that... he was up here long enough to have found out what our rules are and was foolish to not have followed them like every gun owner i know takes great care to do.

yup. our penalties for improper transportation, possession and/or storage of firearms are very severe.

That brings up 2 other rather large issues. It means he either illegally imported a gun, or illegally obtained one here. Either way, not good. Too bad, I thought he did an admirable job filling in after the injuries at tackle last year. I figured he would be starting this season.

bluto
05-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Don't care for guns. Everyone that carries one could go to jail for all I care. Just my opinion.

fortunately for you then that nobody in Ontario can carry one (other than a police officer, gov't agent, target shooter at a range or a hunter). technically the government can give out carry permits, but somebody told me once that none have been issued since 1978... so basically no private citizen can carry a firearm (which i personally disagree with, but can understand some people's misgivings with it)

That brings up 2 other rather large issues. It means he either illegally imported a gun, or illegally obtained one here. Either way, not good. Too bad, I thought he did an admirable job filling in after the injuries at tackle last year. I figured he would be starting this season.

unless he became licensed in Canada and purchased the weapon here... which seems very unlikely.

dmont
05-04-2012, 03:01 AM

Poor kid.

CFL player faces gun charges after firearm discovered in hotel room

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120503/mtl_argo_120503/20120503/?hub=MontrealHome

Updated: Thu May. 03 2012 6:34:45 PM
ctvmontreal.ca

MONTREAL<!-- /dateline --> — Toronto Argonaut Edawn Coughman, 23, is facing three years in jail after a cleaning-lady found a gun on his bedside table at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal Wednesday night. A police SWAT returned to find the loaded gun hidden under the mattress.

During his bail hearing Thursday a tearful Coughman tried to explain that he bought the gun legally in his home state of Georgia and that he always carries the weapon. He said he was unaware of Canada's strict gun laws. His lawyer attributed it to a misunderstanding.

"Being from a totally different background as far as carrying a firearm goes, yes he was totally surprised," said lawyer Hugues Surprenant. There are cultural differences; of course for us Canadians there are no questions to be asked."

Coughman was in town to train alongside Edmonton Eskimo Ted Laurent at the Alouettes' training facility. "

The prosecution raised questions about how could afford to own a home in Toronto and another in Atlanta on his $44,000 CFL salary.

They worry that he will flee the country if granted bail.

"He's an American citizen, we don't know if he'll be back in Canada considering the offence," said Crown Prosecutor David Landry.

The judge will render her bail decision tomorrow. But in the meantime, the Argonauts haven't said anything about the player's future on the team.

CptArcher
05-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Hearing this sad story of a young man's innocent life getting ruined by such a law makes me ashamed to be Canadian. This is equivalent to going to jail for possession of a quarter ounce of marijuana in my books. This makes me quite upset.

Did this guy hurt anyone? Nope. Sounds like didn't even know how ridiculous our gun laws are. Somebody forgot to tell him that Canadian citizens aren't actually considered equal before the law and the state has power over our very being. Albeit, in a country where land-owners do not even technically own their own property, but get a land tenure from the Crown, I suppose this is par for the course.

Disarming law-abiding citizens does not prevent crime, it encourages it. The polytechnique massacre, Norway massacre last summer, and others only happened because those mass murderers knew full well having a gun makes you untouchable in a society where the citizenry is disarmed. Having a gun makes you free to terrorize and murder in these ridiculous places. They knew it and proved it.

I am of the opinion that self defence is a basic right. This is a tyrannical law, by any historical standard, because it discriminates against free, law-abiding citizens.

It boggles my mind that free citizens get arrested just for owning a gun. He didn't even have it on him? It was in his hotel room. Sounds like the poor cleaning lady was well-meaning but really really brainwashed.

If you look at the statistics, the vast majority of the killings are perpetrated by gangsters, robbers, and even overzealous police. Like it or not, these people have guns. Law abiding citizens tend not to kill people. You cannot "un-invent" guns so why discriminate against law-abiding citizens?

I guess its if you want to have a gun and have power over a disarmed citizenry, you can be a criminal or a cop.

Wobbler
05-04-2012, 10:28 AM
This is not a politics forum - these comments belong elsewhere. Please don't derail the thread.

T-Bone
05-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Hearing this sad story of a young man's innocent life getting ruined by such a law makes me ashamed to be Canadian. This is equivalent to going to jail for possession of a quarter ounce of marijuana in my books. This makes me quite upset.

Did this guy hurt anyone? Nope. Sounds like didn't even know how ridiculous our gun laws are. Somebody forgot to tell him that Canadian citizens aren't actually considered equal before the law and the state has power over our very being. Albeit, in a country where land-owners do not even technically own their own property, but get a land tenure from the Crown, I suppose this is par for the course.

Disarming law-abiding citizens does not prevent crime, it encourages it. The polytechnique massacre, Norway massacre last summer, and others only happened because those mass murderers knew full well having a gun makes you untouchable in a society where the citizenry is disarmed. Having a gun makes you free to terrorize and murder in these ridiculous places. They knew it and proved it.

I am of the opinion that self defence is a basic right. This is a tyrannical law, by any historical standard, because it discriminates against free, law-abiding citizens.

It boggles my mind that free citizens get arrested just for owning a gun. He didn't even have it on him? It was in his hotel room. Sounds like the poor cleaning lady was well-meaning but really really brainwashed.

If you look at the statistics, the vast majority of the killings are perpetrated by gangsters, robbers, and even overzealous police. Like it or not, these people have guns. Law abiding citizens tend not to kill people. You cannot "un-invent" guns so why discriminate against law-abiding citizens?

I guess its if you want to have a gun and have power over a disarmed citizenry, you can be a criminal or a cop.
Regadless of your opinions of the law this isn't the Delphic Expanse where you can ignore the Prime Directive. If you want to take a firearm to another country you should do your research before doing it.

Invader
05-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Well, Cpt, that has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read so I won't bother to "quote" it.

I feel sorry for Coughman but he is not "innocent". He is "ignorant". In Canada, ignorance of the law is not a valid defence. Not only did he possess an illegal loaded firearm, he admitted he smuggled it through Canada Customs, which is also a serious offence.

They might give away guns as a CrackerJack prizes in Georgia, but they are restricted in Canada and carry mandatory and punitive jail terms for their illegal possession and importation.

I agree with Canada's restrictions and penalties for illegal handgun possession. Their only use to to shoot other people. In the U.S., the vast majority of the people shot with handguns are either a family members or acquaintances of the "shooter".

bluto
05-04-2012, 12:30 PM
i have no issue with CptArcher's principles and happen to share them... sadly though in this situation they aren't relevant.

-he smuggled a firearm through Customs.
-he was storing it unlocked
-he was storing it (and presumably carrying it) loaded
-he lived in this country for months and therefore should have asked someone about our laws
-he purchased the weapon in Georgia a state that has gun laws different than some of it's neighbors... so he must be aware that the laws change from jurisdiction to jurisdiction...

even with all of that considered... i'm hoping for a lenient sentence. i'd hate to see this kid's life and career ruined for this.

KCargosfan
05-04-2012, 12:42 PM
i'm hoping for a lenient sentence. i'd hate to see this kid's life and career ruined for this.

Agreed. Just my opinion, sending someone to jail for 3 years who didn't hurt anyone or steal anything is egregiously dumb.

T-Bone
05-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Agreed. Just my opinion, sending someone to jail for 3 years who didn't hurt anyone or steal anything is egregiously dumb.
So is bringing a firearm across the boarder with out doing any research though I agree 3 years seems excessive in this case. I'm not a fan of mandatory sentencing.

1argoholic
05-04-2012, 01:14 PM
The stupid thing is that he got caught. What was he doing waving the gun around? If I was packing no one would know.

T-Bone
05-04-2012, 01:27 PM
The stupid thing is that he got caught. What was he doing waving the gun around? If I was packing no one would know.
The article posted by dmont on the previous page (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?495-Edawn-Coughman-Arrested-for-Firearms-Offense-in-Montreal&p=6553&viewfull=1#post6553) said:

a cleaning-lady found a gun on his bedside table at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal (http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120503/mtl_argo_120503/20120503/?hub=MontrealHome)

cossack
05-04-2012, 01:48 PM
From his Twitter last November:

edawn coughman ‏ @edawncoughman
So ready to be back in US. Hate Toronto. Hate i have one more ur here

Wonder how he feels about Montreal?

AngeloV
05-04-2012, 02:49 PM
From his Twitter last November:

edawn coughman ‏ @edawncoughman
So ready to be back in US. Hate Toronto. Hate i have one more ur here

Wonder how he feels about Montreal?

Is that real or made up?

Wow..if it is real.

1argoholic
05-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Like I joked, see you on Cops in the future Edawn. Your obviously a very stupid man. Oh don't forget your gun to take back to Georgia you moron.

T-Bone
05-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Is that real or made up?

Wow..if it is real.
Check it out (https://twitter.com/#!/edawncoughman/status/134088315380043776).

dmont
05-04-2012, 03:39 PM

That has to be the most horrible Twitter feed I've ever read:

https://twitter.com/#!/edawncoughman

cossack
05-04-2012, 03:39 PM
My twitter reply to Edawn:

@edawncoughman 1 year in Toronto is better than 3 to 10 years in Montreal.
2:32 PM - 4 May 12 via web

AngeloV
05-04-2012, 04:20 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/edawncoughman

Man has some serious problems.

1argoholic
05-04-2012, 04:34 PM
This clown puts that out for everyone to read. No wonder I have no use for twitter. The man should end up in jail.

KCargosfan
05-04-2012, 04:36 PM
So is bringing a firearm across the boarder with out doing any research

Completely agree.

https://twitter.com/#!/edawncoughman (https://twitter.com/#%21/edawncoughman)

Agreed. If that is real, not good.

My twitter reply to Edawn:

@edawncoughman 1 year in Toronto is better than 3 to 10 years in Montreal.
2:32 PM - 4 May 12 via web

:) Haha. Good one.

paulwoods13
05-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Anyone charged with an offence is entitled to a fair trial, so I'll reserve judgment on the weapons charge. But if that Twitter feed is real, the time to cut him loose was last November 8.

CptArcher
05-04-2012, 08:16 PM
He had it on his night table. Clearly the behaviour of a criminal. *facepalm*

And let's cool it with the character assassinations. Judging somebody by a Twitter feed (consisting of less than 10 posts) is quite possibly the stupidest and shallowest idea ever. You guys will be real happy when he's sitting in jail for 3 years for committing a victimless "crime". It boggles my mind how things like possessing a weapon or a drug can get you jail time. thats tyranny for ya.

Three years for having a gun?! Who gets hurt by guns and these laws?

For Goodness sakes, he would have been better off mugging a random or molesting a child - which are minor offences. The harsh crimes are reserved for the real evil people who dare to have a gun for self defence. This is just so sickening and disgusting. People in this country are so brainwashed to freak out when the see or even hear the word "gun". I guess thats what you get from CTV and CBC news. I'm sure the authorities were on the scene quickly to restore order and subdue the rampant criminal gun-owner.

RoRoYoBoat
05-04-2012, 09:14 PM
:) Haha. Good one.

Actually its a federal crime... So probably Kingston. He will be closer to both :s

For Goodness sakes, he would have been better off mugging a random or molesting a child - which are minor offences. The harsh crimes are reserved for the real evil people who dare to have a gun for self defence. This is just so sickening and disgusting. People in this country are so brainwashed to freak out when the see or even hear the word "gun". I guess thats what you get from CTV and CBC news. I'm sure the authorities were on the scene quickly to restore order and subdue the rampant criminal gun-owner.

I wonder if the league has a handout that it gives to players when they sign a contract. I think that would be a good idea. There are a lot of little things that an American who's never traveled might not think about. For example I doubt their car insurance even covers them in Canada past 30 or 90 days working abroad. Some don't even know they require a passport from what I've seen in the past. Not saying this is the league's fault but there might be an opportunity to make things easyer on these guys.

Man has some serious problems.

Mother of his kids...

KCargosfan
05-04-2012, 10:56 PM

For Goodness sakes, he would have been better off mugging a random or molesting a child - which are minor offences. The harsh crimes are reserved for the real evil people who dare to have a gun for self defence. This is just so sickening and disgusting.

If he would get less time for molesting a child than just having a gun in his hotel room that is just plain wrong.

I wonder if the league has a handout that it gives to players when they sign a contract. I think that would be a good idea. There are a lot of little things that an American who's never traveled might not think about. For example I doubt their car insurance even covers them in Canada past 30 or 90 days working abroad. Some don't even know they require a passport from what I've seen in the past. Not saying this is the league's fault but there might be an opportunity to make things easyer on these guys.

Excellent idea.

Actually its a federal crime... So probably Kingston. He will be closer to both :s

Hopefully they just send him back down here.

Mulder
05-04-2012, 11:00 PM

He had it on his night table. Clearly the behaviour of a criminal. *facepalm*

And let's cool it with the character assassinations. Judging somebody by a Twitter feed (consisting of less than 10 posts) is quite possibly the stupidest and shallowest idea ever. You guys will be real happy when he's sitting in jail for 3 years for committing a victimless "crime". It boggles my mind how things like possessing a weapon or a drug can get you jail time. thats tyranny for ya.

If you want to talk about Gun laws take it to the off-topic section. You have made no posts about the Argonauts yet also.

argolio
05-05-2012, 12:14 AM
So I guess we'll be going with an all-Canadian o-line.

OV Argo
05-05-2012, 12:17 AM
So I guess we'll be going with an all-Canadian o-line.

M.O. in Montreal lately for the Als; expect a lot of Als type `thinking`maybe with Millanovich coming over from there.

argolio
05-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Should it happen, I expect it'll be done out of necessity thanks to this incident. If Als type thinking came into it, Coughman would very likely have been released already.

CptArcher
05-05-2012, 02:15 AM
I'm not a big fan of the all Canadian O-Line.

Is there any evidence that imports are less valuable at O-Line than any other position?

Argos fielded really good teams in 06 and 07 when I believe they had 2-3 import O-linemen (Bernard Williams, Jerome Davis, and Dave Costa if I remember correctly). Even back then, some people were going psycho about having more than 1 import starting at O-line, but having more Canadian O-linemen starting in recent years hasn't seemed to have helped the team.

BC Lions won the Grey Cup with 2 import O-Linemen.

Granted, they have great Canadian talent, but it's not like we have no Canadian talent at other positions. Durie, Watt, Foley, Pottinger and Matt Black are all potentially starter caliber non-imports in my opinion. Jeff Johnson as well if they play with 2 running backs.

ArgoRavi
05-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Coughman is a young guy who seems to suffer perhaps from immaturity more than anything else. This is a minor crime that he committed and I would expect that the punishment will be minimal when all is said and done (a plea bargain perhaps followed by some kind of conditional discharge?). How much of a future does he have with the Argos? It might have been iffy to begin with and this won't help but I wouldn't rule out seeing him at camp either.

Mulder
05-05-2012, 06:52 PM
This is getting far to political and personal, I'm going to clean up the thread and move some posts. If you have an issue with it or want to see the moved posts PM me

Thanks

Stephen

Edit:

Done. Sorry it took me a while to reopen the thread, Was busy last night when I received the email report. Removed some posts but wanted another look at it when I wasn't busy

gman
05-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Coughman is a young guy who seems to suffer perhaps from immaturity more than anything else. This is a minor crime that he committed and I would expect that the punishment will be minimal when all is said and done (a plea bargain perhaps followed by some kind of conditional discharge?). How much of a future does he have with the Argos? It might have been iffy to begin with and this won't help but I wouldn't rule out seeing him at camp either.

He still get a chance to play. look at Plaxico. He playing again. Argos will most likely suspend him for a few games.

RoRoYoBoat
05-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Plexico went to jail.

Invader
05-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Hopefully he can get this situation resolved and he can resume his football career.

ArgoRavi
05-06-2012, 12:40 PM
The tone of Coughman's Twitter feed hasn't exactly improved over the last couple of days. If he remains as part of the Argo organization, someone with the Argos needs to sit down and have a talk with the young man.

ArgoGabe22
05-06-2012, 04:36 PM
The tone of Coughman's Twitter feed hasn't exactly improved over the last couple of days. If he remains as part of the Argo organization, someone with the Argos needs to sit down and have a talk with the young man.

If its real. The Argos have links to each player account and there is no Coughman. Its strange the guy doesn't tweet and then when he's arrested he tweets after a two month hiatus. I have no clue why someone would tweet the day of/day after a court appearance. And then reply to a user who happens to be me after all I posted without officially mentioning him was "One CFLr I won't be following (if real) is Edawn Coughman" and then he says what he says to me. Someone on the PR staff last year said Buzbee's account was a fake done by his brother or friend so I won't be surprised if someone he knows from Georgia is jealous or doing it as a joke. I also cannot believe gman's story, anyone can say anything online. Personally I do not think it's really his.

Mulder
05-06-2012, 04:50 PM
If its real. The Argos have links to each player account and there is no Coughman. Its strange the guy doesn't tweet and then when he's arrested he tweets after a two month hiatus. I have no clue why someone would tweet the day of/day after a court appearance. And then reply to a user who happens to be me after all I posted without officially mentioning him was "One CFLr I won't be following (if real) is Edawn Coughman" and then he says what he says to me. Someone on the PR staff last year said Buzbee's account was a fake done by his brother or friend so I won't be surprised if someone he knows from Georgia is jealous or doing it as a joke. I also cannot believe gman's story, anyone can say anything online. Personally I do not think it's really his.

Usually if your mentioned on twitter, you'll get an email as well. It's possible that is the case.

RoRoYoBoat
05-06-2012, 05:15 PM

They had one two days ago. Anyway there is no way they will keep him. Rudge is going to make one phone call to Barker, if he hasn't already. He's done...

gman
05-06-2012, 07:26 PM
It true. His has never done anything for his oldest son. We (his baby mama, Edawn And me) all went to tricities hs in east point together. I even play fb withhim my jr yr and his sr yr. He has NO contact with the boy. his oldest baby mama name is kim fowlkes she on fb. ask her. I believe it his real page because his uncle is following him on twitter. he cocky he thinks nothing going to happen to him

his uncle is on the page following him. Leeco brown is his uncle. Edawn is cocky and thinks nothing going to happen him. He is very cocky. He is even fowing his ex wife on the page. Do ur research.

1argoholic
05-06-2012, 07:41 PM
He sounds like a jackass and the Argos need to cut his ass loose. He needs to grow the hell up.

gman
05-06-2012, 07:47 PM
he a jackass. he thinks he a michael oher.

he a jackass. they will not cut him and if they do he will get with another cfl team

ArgoGabe22
05-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Even if it's him why is he tweeting to me? Ticatfan is the one who's getting on his face. All I said publicity is I'm not following him and go check his posts why. Then someone asked whats the news about so I told him. I deleted it and blocked him but I unblocked to see his latest tweet which is to me.

RoRoYoBoat
05-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Argos can't mix themselves up with this. Not this year!

ArgoRavi
05-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Argos can't mix themselves up with this. Not this year!

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the local papers pick up on this as reporters check this site out.

cossack
05-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Surprised none of the reporters picked up on his "I hate Toronto" tweet from last November.

1argoholic
05-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Someone needs to show Barker this boatload of CRAP!!!

RoRoYoBoat
05-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Someone needs to show Barker this boatload of CRAP!!!

I am sure they know. They are probably trying to figure who is going to give him the news LOL !

Barker: Milo tell him he's cut
Milo: I'm not taking a cap in the ass.
Milo: Chris you tell him.
Jones: Coach McAdoo, I need a favor

Will
05-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Is anybody else curious why we haven't heard anything more about this? The only report we have is from the Gazette, but I haven't seen anything on TSN or any of the other local newspapers.

I was thinking to myself about Coughman and decided that I'm not sure if Pinball could even redeem him. That, IMO, is the ultimate indictment.

paulwoods13
05-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Is anybody else curious why we haven't heard anything more about this? The only report we have is from the Gazette, but I haven't seen anything on TSN or any of the other local newspapers.

There was a brief report in the Sun from QMI about his court appearance. Once a person is charged, news coverage generally stops until trial because there's a risk of influencing potential jurors and being in contempt of court. If he were to be released by the team, presumably we would hear about it although I imagine it would be done quietly and without a news release. Otherwise there likely won't be much more news coverage until he goes to trial.

Invader
05-07-2012, 11:51 AM
He's a young guy who made a mistake due to ignorance and cockiness. It's not like he shot anybody. There were other Argo players in the recent past who did much worse things and were given a "second" chance by the team. While his tweets do not portray him in a positive light (shouldn't the Argos, his agent or family be suggesting that he delete his twit account somehow?), he shouldn't be thrown under the bus until he's been given the opportunity to redeem himself.

gilthethrill
05-07-2012, 04:05 PM
He's a young guy who made a mistake due to ignorance and cockiness. It's not like he shot anybody. There were other Argo players in the recent past who did much worse things and were given a "second" chance by the team. While his tweets do not portray him in a positive light (shouldn't the Argos, his agent or family be suggesting that he delete his twit account somehow?), he shouldn't be thrown under the bus until he's been given the opportunity to redeem himself.

Yes, other players in the past have done worst things in the past & given a second chance. However, those tweets are Edawns, why give a guy a second chance who does not want to be here?

RoRoYoBoat
05-07-2012, 05:03 PM

I understand what your saying. The problem is the Argos have zero elbow room. They are under a microscope and are trying to generate good will and create partnership with corporate clients. You can't do that with players who are dealing with weapon charges. I have two installers right now with no criminal records who are costing us a fortune to get a bunch of security clearances to go do an installation in a school. Can't imagine Edawn going to schools and promoting anti-Bullying or shaking hands with company owners. Very bad timing for him but he has to go.

ArgoGabe22
05-07-2012, 05:45 PM
His twitter account no longer exists. Whether he or the team requested it who knows?

dmont
05-07-2012, 06:40 PM

Yes, the twitter feed was pretty awful reading, but as Argo fans, why do we give a crap about the guy's personal life? If he's not into playing in Toronto, or he's a cancer in the locker room, the coaches will get rid of him. If he's a jerk at home and a great guy on the field, who cares?

Unless our scouts have found someone better, or there's a scarcity of TC roster spots for O-linemen, I think the team should hang onto him for now. If he's able to make it to TC, great. If not, cut. Same rules as any other player.

Nob
05-07-2012, 07:01 PM
dmont - generally I couldn't give a crap about his personal life, but if he has personal issues of this nature it is hard to keep it out of the work life until these things get cleared up.

As well, I think that his twitter comments show what type of character he is. He's not that good that he isn't replaceable. And if he doesn't want tobe here then why let him pollute the rest of the team?

The Argos have brought on guys with troubled pasts previously. The big difference between those guys and Coughman is that they were trying to move on from their troubled pasts,and had turned the proverbial page. I don't think that Coughman has shown that yet. All he has demonstrated is that he is bad news.

Time to say buh-bye.

dmont - generally I couldn't give a crap about his personal life, but if he has personal issues of this nature it is hard to keep it out of the work life until these things get cleared up.

As well, I think that his twitter comments show what type of character he is. He's not that good that he isn't replaceable. And if he doesn't want tobe here then why let him pollute the rest of the team?

The Argos have brought on guys with troubled pasts previously. The big difference between those guys and Coughman is that they were trying to move on from their troubled pasts,and had turned the proverbial page. I don't think that Coughman has shown that yet. All he has demonstrated is that he is bad news.

Time to say buh-bye.

RoRoYoBoat
05-07-2012, 07:24 PM

Yes, the twitter feed was pretty awful reading, but as Argo fans, why do we give a crap about the guy's personal life? If he's not into playing in Toronto, or he's a cancer in the locker room, the coaches will get rid of him. If he's a jerk at home and a great guy on the field, who cares?

Unless our scouts have found someone better, or there's a scarcity of TC roster spots for O-linemen, I think the team should hang onto him for now. If he's able to make it to TC, great. If not, cut. Same rules as any other player.

Its not so much what you or I think. It is the perception out in the public place. Argos want to be seen as a classy serious operation. Perception matters in business. Football is a business too.

1argoholic
05-07-2012, 07:26 PM
He's not worth the hastle and obviously has very little upstairs. Anyone who would tweet the kind of stuff this guy does respects nothing. We don't need or want him.

ArgoGabe22
05-07-2012, 09:30 PM
He had a gun that's the problem. What if he brought it with him to the locker room? I doubt it but remember that two players in the NBA drew guns out in the locker room

KCargosfan
05-07-2012, 10:48 PM
He had a gun that's the problem. What if he brought it with him to the locker room? I doubt it but remember that two players in the NBA drew guns out in the locker room

We could play the "what if" game all day long. He didn't shoot anyone or hurt anyone or steal anything. Was what he did dumb? No question. But it's not like we're the Alouettes when they signed Lawrence Phillips, who threw his girlfriend down a flight of stairs in college and had numerous assault charges all pre-CFL.

Concur dmont.

gman
05-08-2012, 10:52 AM
I wondering how he can afford a house in Canada and a house Ga on $44,000 plus take care of wife, children and his mother. I guess that why he does not take care of the oldest child. That does not make sense, It makes u wonder why he had a gun. He maybe a good football player but he needs work on his character.

Argonut
05-08-2012, 11:03 AM
First of all, I find it hard to believe that he would not know the gun laws in Canada. It's not like it is his first time crossing the border into Canada. I am sure there are signs and even questions about what he is bringing into Canada, and I am sure some of the questions that custom officials ask - "are you bringing in a firearm?".
It's on the declaration form: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.pdf

Why would he feel he would have to "smuggle" it into Canada if he thought what he was carrying was legal?
And as for comments made by CptArcher and our "stupid" laws - It's the law and we have to enforce it. It's right on the declaration statement:

Under the law, failure to properly declaregoods, currency and/or monetaryinstruments brought into Canada mayresult in seizure action, monetary penaltiesand/or criminal prosecution.

Let me ask this question... If he was an ordinary citizien and not a professional athlete playing for the Argonauts, would you all have the same comments?

As for his twitter account... If it is legit, and he feels this way about Toronto... Why the fudge do we even want him back?

argonaut11xx
05-08-2012, 12:56 PM
...Capt Archer..is entitled to his opinion on the current laws ( actually im on his side, i think our left wing guns laws are stupid) , that said, the law is the law, and this guy screwed up, and needs to take whats coming to him, pro athlete or not.

...what bugs me more is this "punk" attitude with alot of the young athletes...thank goodness its not as bad in the CFL, as say the NBA...

1argoholic
05-08-2012, 01:13 PM
It's the lack of respect for authority of any kind. Tell me that the gangsta attitude in cRap music doesn't have an influence on these guys?

gilthethrill
05-08-2012, 01:34 PM
With all that has gone on in Argoland the last few days, I beg to wonder, where is Area51?

AngeloV
05-08-2012, 01:56 PM
With all that has gone on in Argoland the last few days, I beg to wonder, where is Area51?

Good question. I'm guessing there was another knee jerk reaction and he was banned again.

bluto
05-08-2012, 02:03 PM
don't look at me... i didn't ban anyone...

i just figure that there's a "Beetlejuice" effect where if you say his name a few more times...

argonaut11xx
05-08-2012, 03:05 PM
It's the lack of respect for authority of any kind. Tell me that the gangsta attitude in cRap music doesn't have an influence on these guys?

I 100% agree...thats what i was eluding to when i said "thugs"

T-Bone
05-08-2012, 03:22 PM

I 100% agree...thats what i was eluding to when i said "thugs"
I personally feel blaming media is a silly argument. I watched Avengers on Friday but you don't see me building a suit of iron to fly around the city. The argument reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

cossack
05-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Good question. I'm guessing there was another knee jerk reaction and he was banned again.

You guys kill me. You have an excellent board that is full of incisive comments and interesting opinions. Rather than support the people that set this board up, you go out of your way to tear them down. Argofans was set up, and is run by people just like you. They have a strong passion for the Argos and the Canadian Football League. Aside from spending their own money to keep it alive, they give an awful lot of their time to make it the best board it can be. What if your only Argo's forum was the one available on the CFL forums? Not a very appealing option is it? The people that run this place aren't perfect, but they do the best that they can. A lot of people seem to forget 2 very important words. PULL TOGETHER.

argonaut11xx
05-08-2012, 03:33 PM
You guys kill me. You have an excellent board that is full of incisive comments and interesting opinions. Rather than support the people that set this board up, you go out of your way to tear them down. Argofans was set up, and is run by people just like you. They have a strong passion for the Argos and the Canadian Football League. Aside from spending their own money to keep it alive, they give an awful lot of their time to make it the best board it can be. What if your only Argo's forum was the one available on the CFL forums? Not a very appealing option is it? The people that run this place aren't perfect, but they do the best that they can. A lot of people seem to forget 2 very important words. PULL TOGETHER.

WOW...and this from a Ti-cat fan....awesome

bluto
05-08-2012, 03:52 PM

all i can say about that particular situation (because i guess someone has to say something about it or it will just become a topic of speculation and debate itself) is that i would never moderate on a forum where a "knee jerk" reaction to a comment could earn you a ban. it's only knee jerk if there haven't been prior warnings and then suspensions for breaches of the forum CoC. some people are edgy and spark debate but do it within our guidelines... other people just can't play nice no matter how many chances you give them. we have players, team officials, family of team officials and players as well as media types viewing here... and the site owner didn't establish this site to get grief from anyone, he did it as a labour of love for the Argos and CFL... we have a CoC for a reason.

ArgoRavi
05-08-2012, 06:22 PM
All I know is that you couldn't pay me enough to be a moderator.

1argoholic
05-08-2012, 06:28 PM
It might just be my age as I'm just about 50 but when I was a kid most people respected the police. We played with cap guns and the like but all turned out fairly normal. We didn't grow up listening to Rap about killing cops, carry real guns, play video games about killing. If you have just the right misguided combination in a few young folks they could and in my estimation do act out. In my highschool days we didn't have to worry about getting knived or shot at school. Also broken homes are more the norm and in ways gang culture is made to be cool which is very twisted.

UncleFester
05-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Coughman will deserve everything he gets for doing a very stupid thing, including if the Argos cut him loose. But he is not the only current import Argo player to tweet some garbage. I was following Ejiro Kuale but dumped him after reading numerous posts of how he is "NFL' bound and can't wait to get back to the US where they play "real" ball. Very demeaning stuff to the Argos, the CFL and a kick in the head to an fan of the team. I almost tweeted angrily back to him that he should be focused on winning a Grey Cup for his team, city and fans, but just dumped him instead. It really makes me wonder......are some of these players just too stupid to realize there are Argo fans READING their posts and can find them very offensive...or they are just too cocky and brazen to give a hoot and post what they are thinking with no thought of any consequences????

And before I get lambasted here for making accusations with no proof go to Kuale's twitter feed and see for yourself. The tweets in question were from just before mini-camp and the jersey launch, very recent in other words.

ArgoRavi
05-08-2012, 10:10 PM
And before I get lambasted here for making accusations with no proof go to Kuale's twitter feed and see for yourself. The tweets in question were from just before mini-camp and the jersey launch, very recent in other words.

Ironic that Kuale's name comes up given that the Canadian Press did an article about him today: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/argos-kuale-hopes-he-doesnt-see-as-much-action-this-season/article2426892/

While I understand why he would want to go back to the NFL, the reality is that his chances are slim given his age and the salary that he would command if an NFL team did sign him. If he wants to continue playing football, I suspect that he will have to commit to the CFL but he does generally come across better in this article although I didn't find his tweets that offensive (I only went through them very quickly though).

KCargosfan
05-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Ironic that Kuale's name comes up given that the Canadian Press did an article about him today: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/argos-kuale-hopes-he-doesnt-see-as-much-action-this-season/article2426892/

While I understand why he would want to go back to the NFL, the reality is that his chances are slim given his age and the salary that he would command if an NFL team did sign him. If he wants to continue playing football, I suspect that he will have to commit to the CFL but he does generally come across better in this article although I didn't find his tweets that offensive (I only went through them very quickly though).

Kuale has no shot at getting back to the NFL whatsoever. Hopefully he can keep on improving and have a better season.

Let me ask this question... If he was an ordinary citizien and not a professional athlete playing for the Argonauts, would you all have the same comments?

I would just for the record. If this was eye for an eye, Coughman would get, well, nothing.

UncleFester
05-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Kuale has no shot at getting back to the NFL whatsoever. Hopefully he can keep on improving and have a better season.

I don't think he has a snowballs chance in hell of getting back to the NFL but that is not the point. IMO he's dissing his own team and the league he currently plays in. He sounds like a guy who really wishes he didn't have to be here.

1argoholic
05-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Right off the bat we're heading into the season with this crap happening. Really what good has tweeterville done for this world? You only hear about CRAP!!! I say cut both of these stiffs now. I can't understand why Kuale takes the stupid late hitting penalties as he learn this crap in the land of the bounty, New Orleans. haha.

ArgoRavi
05-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Kuale isn't saying anything that many players haven't thought over the years. With Twitter now, he simply has the chance to say it. That also doesn't mean that his opinion won't change over time either. While Coughman's tweets were in poor taste, I haven't seen anything from Kuale that is cause for firing.

AngeloV
05-09-2012, 01:41 PM

For the record, I have never put down the people that set up this board. I do have a problem with someone getting banned because someone doesn't agree with their opinion. That's a mod move, not a move done by the people that sspent time and money to put this together. I disagree with most of Area 51's opinions. But I've never seen him put anything on here worthy of a ban.

cossack
05-09-2012, 04:52 PM
For the record, I have never put down the people that set up this board. I do have a problem with someone getting banned because someone doesn't agree with their opinion. That's a mod move, not a move done by the people that sspent time and money to put this together. I disagree with most of Area 51's opinions. But I've never seen him put anything on here worthy of a ban.

I have no idea what precipitated the banning, but from experience as a mod on another board, I have banned people for posts which I removed before most people could read them. I never enjoyed banning anyone, but I understood it needed to be done for the greater good. Try giving the guys and girls that run this board the benefit of the doubt.

jerrym
05-09-2012, 05:09 PM
I fully support the moderators and people who set up this site. After having visited many other sites on sports and other topics, IMO, this is the best site at avoiding personal attacks that contribute nothing to understanding the topics under discussion.

RoRoYoBoat
05-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Area51 has been banned and high maintenance poster on other boards... It is what it is.

1argoholic
05-09-2012, 06:27 PM
That sucks in my eyes. Area51 had views that many thought where over the top but I have to admit I agreed with many. It wasn't like he was on here ripping everyone and swearing a double blue streak. He had his thoughts on the way the Argos were being run and people got pissy with it. I'm sure I've been close to being kicked off. It just seems like the majority of posters don't want to hear true feelings. As in life some people have no fear of expressing feelings good or bad.

CptArcher
05-09-2012, 07:41 PM
The moderators here are overzealous, to say the least.

AngeloV
05-09-2012, 08:01 PM

Not all of them.

KCargosfan
05-09-2012, 08:08 PM

I think they do a pretty good job.

Wobbler
05-09-2012, 08:32 PM
I disagree.

argolio
05-09-2012, 11:17 PM
I've given considerable thought to Area 51's banning (assuming he was), and, to quote Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive, "I don't care."

AngeloV
05-10-2012, 07:18 AM
I've given considerable thought to Area 51's banning (assuming he was), and, to quote Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive, "I don't care."

Yeah..neither do I really.

I don't know why I get so worked up and go overboard on things sometimes. I want to apologize to the mods for stirring the crap on here. I must have been having a bad week. Grumpy old man disease.

ArgoGabe22
05-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Getting back on topic. Well somewhat on topic lol. Someone mentioned Lawrence Phillips who was known to have problems in college and in the NFL and yet still found his way up here. Interestingly Jim Barker was at MTL in 2002 and CAL in 2003. Guess when LP signed with MTL and also when he signed with CAL. That`s right in 2002 and 2003. Knowing that Barker will probably do nothing about this.

argonaut11xx
05-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Everyone deservse a second chance (pretty much)....

Problem is the lack of respect (which i refer to as "PUNK" attitude) in alot of these young athletes...it seems to be the reason this kind of stupidity happens, then happens again, and again.

When these folks use the term "old school", they are forgetting final word which makes that saying carry weight (values)

RoRoYoBoat
05-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Getting back on topic. Well somewhat on topic lol. Someone mentioned Lawrence Phillips who was known to have problems in college and in the NFL and yet still found his way up here. Interestingly Jim Barker was at MTL in 2002 and CAL in 2003. Guess when LP signed with MTL and also when he signed with CAL. That`s right in 2002 and 2003. Knowing that Barker will probably do nothing about this.

Lawrence Phillips was brought to Montreal by Jim Popp before he went on his criminal rampage. He got in trouble in Montreal with some domestic abuse and Don Matthews tried to work with him and there was a second offense and he was let go. Barker the man with no contacts jumped on the guy and Montreal must have been laughing their ass off in their offices at the Big O. Things continued to spiral downwards in Calgary and after his release LP became a real criminal. He's now serving a long term sentence in California as a dangerous 3rd strike offender. I think Rudge will make those types of calls here. At least I hope so. You would think after being spat in the face a man would learn...

ArgoRavi
05-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Lawrence Phillips was brought to Montreal by Jim Popp before he went on his criminal rampage. He got in trouble in Montreal with some domestic abuse and Don Matthews tried to work with him and there was a second offense and he was let go. Barker the man with no contacts jumped on the guy and Montreal must have been laughing their ass off in their offices at the Big O. Things continued to spiral downwards in Calgary and after his release LP became a real criminal. He's now serving a long term sentence in California as a dangerous 3rd strike offender. I think Rudge will make those types of calls here. At least I hope so. You would think after being spat in the face a man would learn...

I would argue that Phillips was in a lot of criminal trouble even before he got to Montreal. Getting him across the border took Popp a lot of work to begin with.

gman
05-11-2012, 02:32 PM
If they let coughman go Who will be the starting OL

AngeloV
05-11-2012, 02:41 PM
If they let coughman go Who will be the starting OL

Starting 5 likely Likely:

LT Smith
LG Gagne-Marcoux
C Parenteau or St. Pierre
RG Eppele
RT Van Zeyl

Nob
05-11-2012, 03:42 PM
I wonder if Eppele will get any consideration for LT? Didn't he play that position in university? He has the size for it, but Minot sure if he has the footwork.

I thought that he did look good at guard, so if he stays there that should be fine.

KCargosfan
05-11-2012, 08:00 PM
I would argue that Phillips was in a lot of criminal trouble even before he got to Montreal. Getting him across the border took Popp a lot of work to begin with.

And there'd be no counterargument. Phillips got into plenty of trouble in the NFL and in college, both pre-CFL. And there's really no comparison between Coughman and Phillips.

paulwoods13
05-11-2012, 08:12 PM
I wonder if Eppele will get any consideration for LT? Didn't he play that position in university? He has the size for it, but Minot sure if he has the footwork.

I thought that he did look good at guard, so if he stays there that should be fine.

I thought Eppele looked very good at RG last season, but I would like to see him tried at LT and Wayne Smith at RG. I think in both cases that might be a more natural position. If it turns out that Eppele plays guard and Smith plays tackle, that's fine, too, but I think I'd be more comfortable the other way. Plus I'm worried about Smith's injury history, and i think the Argos have more depth inside than at tackle. I'd also like to see Gagne-Marcoux tried at centre, which he has played before. Having an experienced guy calling the line formations makes sense to me.

gman
05-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Do u think Edawn will get a lighter sentence because he plays in CFL

argolio
05-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Do u think Edawn will get a lighter sentence because he plays in CFLDoubt it. If he does get a lighter (or no) sentence, it'll probably be because he'll have a good lawyer, and a good enough story to convince a judge.

Mulder
05-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Edawn has been released according to Perry Lefko on twitter

OV Argo
05-14-2012, 10:33 PM
I thought Eppele looked very good at RG last season, but I would like to see him tried at LT and Wayne Smith at RG. I think in both cases that might be a more natural position. If it turns out that Eppele plays guard and Smith plays tackle, that's fine, too, but I think I'd be more comfortable the other way. Plus I'm worried about Smith's injury history, and i think the Argos have more depth inside than at tackle. I'd also like to see Gagne-Marcoux tried at centre, which he has played before. Having an experienced guy calling the line formations makes sense to me.

Lots of options - and again - i'll point out that Parenteau was an all-star OT in a top conference in D I US college ball and has lots of CFL O-Line experience now - like to see him, Eppele and Smith get a shot at OT; also like to see St-Pierre (also a top US college ball performer and a natural C) get a real shot at C, but Gagne-Marcoux can play there too.

One possible decent O-Line maybe: Gagne-Marcoux and Smith at OG, St-Pierre at C and Parenteau and Van Zeyl at OTs = lots of CFL roster experience there at least; Eppele could be a decent back-up at either guard or tackle; too bad Holmes isn't going to show for TC (or maybe he gets cut early and does?) - he could maybe compete to start at OT right away, inspite of his rookie Canadian status - Coughman started at OT last season as a raw rookie - i have a hard time beleiving Holmes or Parenteau are not as good/better as Coughman at OT.

AND - too bad, IMO, the Argos didn't draft a top O-Line prospect at # 9 this past draft - still shaking my head at Laing being picked there = IMO classic example of lack of CFL drafting finesse; i highly doubt any other CFL team had him ranked near that high; and I'll bet the Argos could have still got him at where they picked Hurst (???); and then they could have instead used #9 to take Matt Norman - a huge, repeat CIS all-star guard, from a top offence type CIS program (Western) - who might have been able to compete for playing time right away in an area of Argo need.

1argoholic
05-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Time to get your crap together so we don't see you on Cops.

KCargosfan
05-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Time to get your crap together so we don't see you on Cops.

I think he was just released by the Argos, not the authorities.

Midnight Blue
05-15-2012, 01:41 AM
I don't remember what doo-doo he got himself into before joining the Argos (or after -- I can't remember, and probably don't wanna know), but dang, Robert Baker was one tough hard-nosed receiver. We could use someone like him right about now, seeing as we're fixin' at taking a shot at the Grey Cup (with any luck).

Were there, or are there, any receivers who played tougher?

As for Coughman ... I'm not gonna get into politics, but dang, if ya can't even hide a hand-gun from a hotel maid, it is probably best that you take a time out, reconsider your plan, and start all over somewhere else. Cheers!

cossack
05-15-2012, 01:54 AM
I don't remember what doo-doo he got himself into before joining the Argos (or after -- I can't remember, and probably don't wanna know), but dang, Robert Baker was one tough hard-nosed receiver. We could use someone like him right about now, seeing as we're fixin' at taking a shot at the Grey Cup (with any luck).

Were there, or are there, any receivers who played tougher?

Prefontaine says no.

Midnight Blue
05-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Prefontaine says no.

Ha ! I remember that.

BTW, has there ever been a tougher kicker than Noel Prefontaine?

No doubt he's a Linebacker at heart....

Football is a beautiful game.

1argoholic
05-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Pre can take a punch with the best of them.

gman
05-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Do u think Edawn will get picked up by another team?

RoRoYoBoat
05-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Do u think Edawn will get picked up by another team?

Not till he clears his legal problems. He's facing a mandatory 3 year sentence which he will at least serve 3 to 6 months of in Canada and then will likely be deported. It is not looking good for him. Now Quebec the province (state) where he was arrested is pretty liberal and unless he has any priors they may just deport him. Quebec has its own say on immigration matters.

gman
05-15-2012, 09:38 PM
If courts like the ones in ga. Edawn could stay out jail long enough to play this season. I think someone will pick him up. If not he will not have a way to make money. Does he have to stay in Canada while he awaits his court date. It messed up that he has thrown away his career for carrying a gun. Sometimes u have to leave street life behind u

Invader
05-16-2012, 02:10 AM
Edawn has been released on bail, over the objections of the Crown who believe he won't return for his court date in June.

That's probably his best move. He's free to go back to the states now...where he should stay. There will likely be no extradition for this offence but he can never return to Canada.

His other option is to face the charges in court, spend $30,000 or so for a lawyer, do his jail time, get a criminal record, then get deported and he can never return to Canada. Either way his CFL career is in serious jeopardy.

RoRoYoBoat
05-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Edawn has been released on bail, over the objections of the Crown who believe he won't return for his court date in June.

That's probably his best move. He's free to go back to the states now...where he should stay. There will likely be no extradition for this offence but he can never return to Canada.

His other option is to face the charges in court, spend $30,000 or so for a lawyer, do his jail time, get a criminal record, then get deported and he can never return to Canada. Either way his CFL career is in serious jeopardy.

That would not be smart. He's better to work his problem through the court instead of risking an extradition order and serving the full 3 years...

KCargosfan
05-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Is there such thing as a plea bargain in Canada where he could pay a fine and serve something like 6 months?

If not, if I had 2 young kids I'd probably stay down here and never set foot in Canada again, risking the chance of extradition vs. the risk of 3 years in jail.

RoRoYoBoat
05-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Is there such thing as a plea bargain in Canada where he could pay a fine and serve something like 6 months?

If not, if I had 2 young kids I'd probably stay down here and never set foot in Canada again, risking the chance of extradition vs. the risk of 3 years in jail.

We have a lot of home confinement here or even commutation of sentences and our jails are overcrowded... With all the agreements in place now between Canada and the US and the judge disregarding the crown attorney's objection to granting him bail. You can be pretty certain that the judge would have him tracked down. I still think his biggest problem was hiding the gun. Had he left it on the dresser his story would be more believable.

I have a friend who was caught with over 20 firearms, most of them automatics, even one russian made sniper riffle and he ended up with close to 120 000 in fines but no jail time but again that was before the new mandatory jail sentences.

ArgoRavi
05-17-2012, 02:07 AM

Yes, we do have plea bargains in Canada and I would expect that there will be some kind of plea agreement in this case.

Midnight Blue
05-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Hey Matthew, if you're reading this, I replied to your comment, over on the St. John's, Newfoundland thread (which has been moved to the CFL forum).

Cheers !

KCargosfan
05-17-2012, 06:52 PM
We have a lot of home confinement here or even commutation of sentences and our jails are overcrowded... With all the agreements in place now between Canada and the US and the judge disregarding the crown attorney's objection to granting him bail. You can be pretty certain that the judge would have him tracked down. I still think his biggest problem was hiding the gun. Had he left it on the dresser his story would be more believable.

I have a friend who was caught with over 20 firearms, most of them automatics, even one russian made sniper riffle and he ended up with close to 120 000 in fines but no jail time but again that was before the new mandatory jail sentences.

Interesting, thanks.

Yes, we do have plea bargains in Canada and I would expect that there will be some kind of plea agreement in this case.

Ok, thanks.

gman
05-18-2012, 01:49 PM
I guess he will serve less than a yr and be deported.

RoRoYoBoat
05-18-2012, 02:01 PM
My guess is 30 to 90 days and be turned over to the Feds with a request that he finish his sentence in the US. Pretty much the only way to get around jailing him for 3 years.

Oarsman
05-23-2012, 10:45 AM
It looks like Coughman is back in the United States. He was trying out for the Seattle Seahawks.
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1188384&nid=2283096&fhn=1

gman
05-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Edawn is not coming back to Canada. Watch if he get picked up by NFL team he never going to back to face charges

CptArcher
05-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Good luck to Mr. Coughman. Would be nice to see him redeem himself with an NFL signing after his unfortunate accident with Canadian law.

dmont
06-19-2012, 12:46 AM

Well I'll be...

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2012/06/18/minor-roster-move-hawks-sign-a-tackle-cut-a-te/

The Seattle Seahawks have released tight end John Nalbone and signed tackle Edawn Coughman to the 90-man roster, the team announced this afternoon.

Coughman spent the 2011 season with the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL but was released on May 14. He attended Dodge City Community College in Atlanta before transferring to Shaw University in Raleigh, N.C., where he earned All-CIAA first-team honors in 2009.

Coughman comes with some baggage, too.

He was cut by the Argos after being arrested on a gun possession charge in Montreal in May.

According to the Toronto Star, police in Montreal say a cleaning lady at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel reported seeing a gun on a table in Coughman’s room. Later, a SWAT team entered the room and found a loaded gun under the mattress.

CTV Montreal reported that Coughman, 23, told a bail hearing he had bought the gun legally in Georgia and was unaware the law was different in Canada.

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2012/06/18/minor-roster-move-hawks-sign-a-tackle-cut-a-te/#storylink=cpy

1argoholic
06-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Well he's back in the US where he belongs with their right to bare arms crap and all. I should be able to see his next arrest on one of our Seattle channels. I really could care less about these fool. Why a monsterous guy has to carry a gun everywhere is beyond me.

jerrym
06-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Maybe the Seahawks consider it a badge of American honour to be arrested for carrying a gun in Canada. Every year some Americans get arrested at the BC-Washington border trying to take guns up to Alaska. I've even told Americans about this when down in the States. They look at you dumbfounded.

Invader
06-19-2012, 12:38 PM
It's not illegal for Americans to bring handguns into Canada as long as they are declared at the border...and there is a legitimate reason, like transporting them to Alaska, ect.

As long as Coughman does not re-enter Canada the charges will be forgotten. He will not be extradicted for such a minor offence, despite the supposed 3-year manditory minimum sentence a conviction would carry.

jerrym
06-19-2012, 01:40 PM
The problem is some do not declare them at the border either out of ignorance or think they can get away withit and run into trouble.

gman
06-19-2012, 08:48 PM
man he was on twitter this morning but closed he account again. This fool talking about he is better than Michael oher and how he going to be the man in Seattle. He should fit in because Shawn Kemp played there and he was dead beat dad like Edawn. I guess he can now pay support for he kid because he is balling now. This man is a nut

He said he was going to Nfl. I hope he stay because what league is left if he does not make it. He could play arena ball

ArgoRavi
07-14-2013, 12:12 AM
Here is an update on Coughman who will be attending training camp with the Cowboys: http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/5/13/4327766/edawn-coughman-getting-extended-look-from-dallas-cowboys-ota-minicamp

He shouldn't have any problems carrying his gun in Texas.

jerrym
07-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Although I strongly support strict gun laws, I am glad to hear that Coughman is getting a second chance somewhere. As the article says, what happened was a culture clash.

Ballstothewall
07-14-2013, 06:45 PM
He will feel more at home in the NFL, since 36 NFL players have been arrested since the last Superbowl.

1argoholic
07-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Very nice culture when carrying a gun and even using it is looked at as cool. Haven't been to the States in years and years and don't miss it.

AngeloV
07-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Although I strongly support strict gun laws, I am glad to hear that Coughman is getting a second chance somewhere. As the article says, what happened was a culture clash.

Couldn't agree more with you Jerry. It's sad that so many football players are looked at as meat in the U.S. I personally think the NCAA (and if need be the US government) needs to take a look at the "education" these players are receiving. If a player doesn't qualify to get into college, he shouldn't regardless of how good a football player he is. And if he doesn't maintain proper levels while in college, he should not be allowed to play.

KCargosfan
07-14-2013, 11:48 PM
Very nice culture when carrying a gun and even using it is looked at as cool. Haven't been to the States in years and years and don't miss it.

We miss you down here 1argoholic. Come down to KC and I'll show you the best bbq places in the world.

KCargosfan
07-14-2013, 11:51 PM
If a player doesn't qualify to get into college, he shouldn't regardless of how good a football player he is. And if he doesn't maintain proper levels while in college, he should not be allowed to play.

If this were the case I'm not sure the SEC would exist, hahah.

Ron
07-15-2013, 02:06 AM

Yes, I am sure that the "culture" applies to each and every American. Everywhere. Any age and profile.

jerrym
07-15-2013, 02:45 AM
Couldn't agree more with you Jerry. It's sad that so many football players are looked at as meat in the U.S. I personally think the NCAA (and if need be the US government) needs to take a look at the "education" these players are receiving. If a player doesn't qualify to get into college, he shouldn't regardless of how good a football player he is. And if he doesn't maintain proper levels while in college, he should not be allowed to play.
A friend of mine was hired in the 1990s to tutor some football players in academic trouble at a major California university. He tested their reading levels and some were reading at a grade six level. I remember one newspaper article that discussed the failure rate among American university athletes in which it was noted that Texas university had one college basketball player graduate between the late 1960s and the early 1990s. When I was a teenager in the 1960s, I also recall reading an article in a magazine called Sport that no longer exists by a former student player football player who started his university football career at 18 and continued until 31, flunking out of one school after another because he had no interest in getting an education. He used pseudonyms to then attend other schools that either knew exactly what was going on or willfully avoided knowing it. About ten years ago, CBS's 60 Minutes did a story on a number of Texas elementary schools where parents asked the principal to fail their sons in Grade 8 even though they had a straight A average so that they would be bigger in Grade 9 and therefore more likely to make the junior high school football team and hopefully the NFL. The system is starting to improve but there are still many abuses.

KCargosfan
07-15-2013, 07:30 PM
A friend of mine was hired in the 1990s to tutor some football players in academic trouble at a major California university. He tested their reading levels and some were reading at a grade six level. I remember one newspaper article that discussed the failure rate among American university athletes in which it was noted that Texas university had one college basketball player graduate between the late 1960s and the early 1990s. When I was a teenager in the 1960s, I also recall reading an article in a magazine called Sport that no longer exists by a former student player football player who started his university football career at 18 and continued until 31, flunking out of one school after another because he had no interest in getting an education. He used pseudonyms to then attend other schools that either knew exactly what was going on or willfully avoided knowing it. About ten years ago, CBS's 60 Minutes did a story on a number of Texas elementary schools where parents asked the principal to fail their sons in Grade 8 even though they had a straight A average so that they would be bigger in Grade 9 and therefore more likely to make the junior high school football team and hopefully the NFL. The system is starting to improve but there are still many abuses.

The sad truth is the universities are using the athletes for football, but not enough of the athletes are using the universities to get a free degree. You can go to school and screw around and take enough random classes to stay eligible for 4 seasons and 5 years, or you can use the athletic department's numerous tutors and academic resources and come out with a degree you are interested in whether it be education, business, advertising, whatever.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8