PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the new CFL Commissioner?

jerrym
06-16-2017, 03:55 PM
While Duane Forde is out of the running for CFL commissioner since he never submitted an application, there are many others rumoured to be in the running, including Randy Ambrosie, a former OL with the Argos, Stampeders and Eskimos, who was runner-up to Jeffrey Orridge last time; Wayne Parrish, a former sports columnist and Canada Basketball executive; and TSN's Glen Suitor. Who do you think it will be?

1971GreyCup
06-16-2017, 04:26 PM
Look for a CEO type like Scott Mitchell. I suspect the owners don't want to repeat the Jeffrey Orridge mistake and go in a progressive marketing direction. Given that the owners are all CEO types, they will want one of their own. I think it's a big mistake, but until I own a team I won't get a say.

IMHO the candidate should be ambassadorial. The candidate needs to expand the CFL and be effective with the lost generation- millennials, Gen X & Gen Z. The candidate should have CFL team operating experience, preferably demonstrating skills in delivering a club out of turmoil.

Randy Ambroise is rumoured as a candidate. A good guy and CFL Alumni and teammate of Wally Buono. President of AGF Funds. Left after AGF Funds Ltd. Enterprise value dropped from $3.7 billion to $500 million. Had a consulting business for financial advisors for a while, then was President of a small brokerage firm before it was bought out in 2016.

http://3downnation.com/2017/06/16/runner-jeffrey-orridge-strong-candidate-time-around/

Mightygoose
06-16-2017, 04:54 PM
As long as the person has a strong legal and business background, I think that's what they need and someone very comfortable with the media which I think the Orridge's biggest weakness.

The person doesn't have to have a CFL or even a football background. Actually it's better that he/she doesn't and surrounds him/herself with them.

They need a fresh voice, but at times doubt they'll like the sound of it.

R.J
06-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Unless the Commish gets full autonomy from the Board, I don't think it matters much who they hire. Parrish does seem intriguing though.

Shirley
06-17-2017, 04:08 PM
Paul Pearson

Gill The Thrill
06-17-2017, 09:13 PM
Wayne Parrish...are we frickin serious. Is this the same Wayne Parrish who ran the sports section at the Toronto Star in the late 80's. The same era which coincidentally (or not) saw Toronto Argonauts coverage and CFL coverage diminished considerably in their paper. The same guy who once appeared on a Grey Cup Pre-game show in 1989 or 1990 to declare that there would be no CFL teams in Southern Ontario within 8 years. He went on to head basketball Canada. These are facts

The rumours...he hated the CFL and ordered coverage to be diminished as Sports editor at the star, declaring it as over-covered, in much the same Steve Simmons used to say at the Toronto Sun. He (Parrish) never even liked the sport of Canadian Football, maybe even football in general. Whether these are as factual and dramatic as I'm trying to make them out to be, I'm not sure and that's why I've called them rumours. Who knows what his sentiments were then, and maybe more importantly, what they are now?

I honestly don't know what to think of this? particularly if he did apply for the position. I personally hope a guy like Tom Mayenecht applied for the position, because I think he'd be a great seller of the league to the business community throughout the country.

Shirley
06-17-2017, 09:33 PM
Remember the same time they reported across the board THE LAST GREY CUP, in all papers and all stations. Thats what I thought when I saw the name Wayne Parrish, but said to myself...could not be.

Wayne Parrish...are we frickin serious. Is this the same Wayne Parrish who ran the sports section at the Toronto Star in the late 80's. The same era which coincidentally (or not) saw Toronto Argonauts coverage and CFL coverage diminished considerably in their paper. The same guy who once appeared on a Grey Cup Pre-game show in 1989 or 1990 to declare that there would be no CFL teams in Southern Ontario within 8 years. He went on to head basketball Canada. These are facts

The rumours...he hated the CFL and ordered coverage to be diminished as Sports editor at the star, declaring it as over-covered, in much the same Steve Simmons used to say at the Toronto Sun. He (Parrish) never even liked the sport of Canadian Football, maybe even football in general. Whether these are as factual and dramatic as I'm trying to make them out to be, I'm not sure and that's why I've called them rumours. Who knows what his sentiments were then, and maybe more importantly, what they are now?

I honestly don't know what to think of this? particularly if he did apply for the position. I personally hope a guy like Tom Mayenecht applied for the position, because I think he'd be a great seller of the league to the business community throughout the country.

R.J
06-17-2017, 10:45 PM

I honestly don't know what to think of this? particularly if he did apply for the position. I personally hope a guy like Tom Mayenecht applied for the position, because I think he'd be a great seller of the league to the business community throughout the country.Like it or not Parrish is the type of Exec. you'd want as the Commissioner. I'm not crazy about Parrish either, but he has the resume that fits.

1971GreyCup
06-18-2017, 10:40 AM

My original thoughts. I think this is a different Wayne Parrish. This one is Chairman of Basketball Canada and is a graduate of Rothman Institute of Corporate Directors according to LinkedIn.

R.J
06-18-2017, 11:33 AM
My original thoughts. I think this is a different Wayne Parrish. This one is Chairman of Basketball Canada and is a graduate of Rothman Institute of Corporate Directors according to LinkedIn.
Same Wayne Parrish.

1971GreyCup
06-18-2017, 11:36 AM
Same Wayne Parrish. Wow, he's really sanitized his CV! Old Wayne Parrish or new Wayne Parrish, which one does the CFL hire? Man, I'd stay miles away from that hire.

I also note that he has deleted 99% of his tweets since 2009. Probably job interview killers.

Will
06-18-2017, 02:04 PM
Me

Bleeds Double Blue
06-18-2017, 04:20 PM
MeYou've got my support.

AngeloV
06-18-2017, 07:07 PM
Unless the Commish gets full autonomy from the Board, I don't think it matters much who they hire. Parrish does seem intriguing though.

I agree with you on this. Maybe once Braley sells the Lions and is out of the picture, we won't have to worry about all his allies on the board backing whatever he wants.

R.J
06-18-2017, 08:04 PM
I agree with you on this. Maybe once Braley sells the Lions and is out of the picture, we won't have to worry about all his allies on the board backing whatever he wants.
Funny thing is, you would think things would be changing on the Board due with some of the new owners (CSEC - Stamps, OSEG - Ottawa, and TanenBELL).

jerrym
06-18-2017, 09:04 PM

There's no doubt Braley made things difficult for more than one commissioner.

doubleblue
06-18-2017, 11:45 PM
Remember the same time they reported across the board THE LAST GREY CUP, in all papers and all stations. Thats what I thought when I saw the name Wayne Parrish, but said to myself...could not be.

From all that Wayne Parrish should be the perfect fit. The CFL got lucky when they hired Cohon, but other than that they have had a string of duds since Larry Smith, and he was questionable.

Shirley
06-19-2017, 11:08 AM
From all that Wayne Parrish should be the perfect fit. The CFL got lucky when they hired Cohon, but other than that they have had a string of duds since Larry Smith, and he was questionable.

Larry Smith was a fabulous CFL Com, love the guy, he is at least responsible for setting up Montreal as we now know them, he was the key guy that is responsible for Montreal success, going into smaller stadium, getting corporate sponsors, guiding them for a number of years until they found their footing. US expansion almost worked, but regardless I love the guy

paulwoods13
06-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Larry Smith was a fabulous CFL Com, love the guy, he is at least responsible for setting up Montreal as we now know them, he was the key guy that is responsible for Montreal success, going into smaller stadium, getting corporate sponsors, guiding them for a number of years until they found their footing. US expansion almost worked, but regardless I love the guy

Not criticizing Larry Smith, who I think did a good job in very adverse circumstances, but I don't think he deserves credit for the Alouettes moving to McGill Stadium. That move was essentially forced upon the team by a conflicting booking (U2) at the Big O. They played a game there, discovered it was a charming, intimate venue, and the rest is history.

jojoheath
06-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Scott Mitchell would be ideal in my opinion. He is no nonsense and is already well versed in what is going on and where it needs to go. He might have some enemies on the board, however I see him as the risk free option.

Jayahre
06-20-2017, 03:47 PM
Scott Mitchell would be ideal in my opinion. He is no nonsense and is already well versed in what is going on and where it needs to go. He might have some enemies on the board, however I see him as the risk free option.

Forget Ford or Mitchell or Pinball, we knew all along they are looking for a CEO to run the CFL business

Ted Wyman‏ @Ted_Wyman 27m27 minutes ago

#CFL board chair and acting commissioner Jim Lawson says league looking for CEO-type qualities in next commissioner.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCxqvqsV0AATuag.jpg

paulwoods13
06-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Forget Ford or Mitchell or Pinball, we knew all along they are looking for a CEO to run the CFL business

Which is as it should be IMO. Nothing is more important to this league than generating sustainable revenue and establishing sustainable, long-lasting business partnerships.

1971GreyCup
06-20-2017, 05:41 PM
The previous CEO types as Commissioners were without exception, disasters. I don't recall sustainable revenues, long lasting business relationships being built by outsider business type. Since Jake Gaudaur, our stadiums have been downsized by half to 24,000 in size and great efforts have been exerted just to keep the league at nine teams. Time for a change folks!

Perhaps the fractured Board of Governors representing nine team owners is incapable of picking an effective Commissioner given their mixed agendas. Corporate owners typically have a unified direction and recruit and hire management teams to move forward their corporation. The CFL and their compromise Commissioners mandate are setup for failure. One could argue that this league has been in constant turmoil for over 30 years. The 2nd rate management of the league hasn't done the Argos in the Toronto market any favours. Unless change comes, we can hope for a nine team league, attendance at 20,000 and the players play for a smaller and smaller income.

jerrym
06-20-2017, 10:02 PM
Below is the full interview with the interim commissioner Jim Lawson on the search for the new commissioner, the situation in Toronto, marketing, the Regina stadium and other developments around the league.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/06/20/postmedia-qa-cfl-interim-commissioner-jim-lawson

argos1873
06-21-2017, 12:00 AM
The previous CEO types as Commissioners were without exception, disasters. I don't recall sustainable revenues, long lasting business relationships being built by outsider business type. Since Jake Gaudaur, our stadiums have been downsized by half to 24,000 in size and great efforts have been exerted just to keep the league at nine teams. Time for a change folks!

Perhaps the fractured Board of Governors representing nine team owners is incapable of picking an effective Commissioner given their mixed agendas. Corporate owners typically have a unified direction and recruit and hire management teams to move forward their corporation. The CFL and their compromise Commissioners mandate are setup for failure. One could argue that this league has been in constant turmoil for over 30 years. The 2nd rate management of the league hasn't done the Argos in the Toronto market any favours. Unless change comes, we can hope for a nine team league, attendance at 20,000 and the players play for a smaller and smaller income.

Would you not consider Mark Cohon and Tom Wright CEO types? They may not have been CEO's but they were businessmen. And by the way, if you think the CFL hasn't been in turmoil since its inception you are kidding yourself. Did you know that Keith Davey held the job as commissioner for only 2 months in 1966, but was fired by the board of governors due to "incompatibility". This has never been a league of stability. Perhaps Gaudaur presided over stability but I highly doubt he did much to do with it. He was probably only in the right place at the right time. This league has been in turmoil since the beginning, because of infighting within each conference (league) and between conferences (east and west), greed, American imports and how to deal with them, raiding the NFL and how to handle the NFL's response to it, big spending from some teams while other teams were broke, sharing revenue, how to deal with TV, and I could go on...The one thing Gaudaur never had to deal with, much, was that Canadians would turn on the league like they did. And Gaudaur came in when the AFL merged into the NFL, which reduced the competition for the CFL. So he had a smooth ride in as commissioner. When things got tough again (like the end of that mega o'keefe tv deal) he was gone.

There is no one man who will turn around the CFL, until Canadians, and probably more importantly people from Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, themselves turn towards the CFL. No commissioner is going to do that single handedly. They can only point the ship in the right way, and even then, given history, it will still be turmoil. Good luck to the next CFL commissioner, you are going to need it.

Rich
06-21-2017, 01:14 AM
And Gaudaur came in when the AFL merged into the NFL, which reduced the competition for the CFL.

One could argue that Gaudaur's lack of vision on the blackout rule was the biggest factor in the league's decline in popularity.

I'm curious how much influence Tannenbaum has at the board, because the obvious choice for Commish is Dale Lastman, there are few better-connected executives in the country. He might want to do it as training for going after Bettman's job in a few years.

1971GreyCup
06-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Postmedia Q&A: CFL interim commissioner Jim Lawson http://m.torontosun.com/2017/06/20/postmedia-qa-cfl-interim-commissioner-jim-lawson?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Jayahre
06-21-2017, 09:02 AM

You are blaming CFL commish's for stadiums being half the capacity they were after Gaudaur???
You can't blame the Commish for the Als moving from a 60k stadium to a 24k stadium, or the Argos moving from the 50k seat RC to BMO. Unless you think the Commish should have stepped in an ordered the new Argo owners to keep playing at the RC or order the Als back to the Olympic stadium.

It's all about a lack of interest in the CFL these days, changing demographics a lack of football in high schools, more young people playing and watching other sports like soccer and basketball. 12 High Schools in Toronto with football teams, 50 High Schools with jr and sr soccer teams, 50 High Schools with jr and sr basketball teams.
I remember in the mid 70s, the Argos were averaging 36k, the Ticats 32k and the Ottawa roughriders 28k
And the population in the GTA was around 1 million, Ottawa was around 350k
Fast forward 40 years, there are roughly 8 to 10 million people living within 100km of BMO stadium and THF and 16k average in Toronto and 24k in Hamilton
You can't blame the Commish for any of this.
As the article states they are looking for a Commish to manage the CFL as a business.
If you want a Pinball type person then hire him in the marketing department, just don't expect a Commish to be some miracle worker that's going to bring in new CFL fans, no one can do anything about that.

1971GreyCup
06-21-2017, 09:12 AM
You are blaming CFL commish's for stadiums being half the capacity they were after Gaudaur???
You can't blame the Commish for the Als moving from a 60k stadium to a 24k stadium, or the Argos moving from the 50k seat RC to BMO. Unless you think the Commish should have stepped in an ordered the new Argo owners to keep playing at the RC or order the Als back to the Olympic stadium.

It's all about a lack of interest in the CFL these days, changing demographics a lack of football in high schools, more young people playing and watching other sports like soccer and basketball.
I remember in the mid 70s, the Argos were averaging 36k, the Ticats 32k and the Ottawa roughriders 28k
Fast forward 40 years, there are roughly 8 to 10 million people living within 100km of BMO stadium and THF and 16k average in Toronto and 24k in Hamilton
As the article states they are looking for a Commish to manage the CFL as a business.
If you want a Pinball type person then hire him in the marketing department, just don't expect a Commish to be some miracle worker that's going to bring in new CFL fans, no one can do anything about that.

I was following your argument right up to your final point. Pinball in the marketing department??? You'd better change your meds.

28 years CFL experience from Rookie Camp to President of the Argos. Did I mention CFL Hall of Fame and Canadian Sports Hall of Fame?

Grey Cup winning player, HC and President. Currently, one of the most successful businessmen in the GTA. Concurrently, running five successful businesses. I would put his business CV and EXCLUDE his academic and professional football accomplishments, up against any of those ideal CEO-type candidates currently being interviewed. Hands down he'd wallop any of those so called CEO types. The problem is that he has too big a heart and in business that's considered a weakness.

All this info is readily available on the internet for anyone willing to do the work.

Hmm, having thought about again, better get him on the phones selling tickets.

Scooter McCray
06-21-2017, 09:42 AM
I honestly can't imagine how Michael Clemons is not suited to the job. His academic, business and football backgrounds north and south of the border are second to none. Selfishly though if the CFL are not interested the Argos should be. I am amazed he was not offered the CEO job last year under the new ownership group.

timlb01
06-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Who says Pinball is even interested in the job? To me the problem was the emergence of a massive TV contract in the US for the NFL which was the turning point between the two leagues. Blackouts hurt the league, not marketing to generation X and after, people's belief it is an inferior product, teams folding and coming back etc. All reasons mentioned by others on this site. Not an MLS fan but you have to admire how the league is not even close to the quality of product in European leagues and else where but it still attracts bums in the seats. The CFL has good TV rating and in many markets have good attendance in the stadiums. Improve in stadium attendance and somehow, no idea how stop the conversations about being inferior and have the conversation about how much different the league is and how in many cases takes a different type of player to play here.

As mentioned it would be a good thing to get Rogers on board with the league. Maybe exclusive rights for TSN only is not a good thing. I am not sure how to fix these issues and others but if these items can get rectified I think the league would be much stronger.

I would also like to see expansion to Quebec City and an east coast city. That would be fantastic but don't see how that would happen if a person and governments do not step up to the plate. Anyhow a few thoughts for the next commish.

AngeloV
06-21-2017, 02:32 PM
Who says Pinball is even interested in the job? To me the problem was the emergence of a massive TV contract in the US for the NFL which was the turning point between the two leagues. Blackouts hurt the league, not marketing to generation X and after, people's belief it is an inferior product, teams folding and coming back etc. All reasons mentioned by others on this site. Not an MLS fan but you have to admire how the league is not even close to the quality of product in European leagues and else where but it still attracts bums in the seats. The CFL has good TV rating and in many markets have good attendance in the stadiums. Improve in stadium attendance and somehow, no idea how stop the conversations about being inferior and have the conversation about how much different the league is and how in many cases takes a different type of player to play here.

As mentioned it would be a good thing to get Rogers on board with the league. Maybe exclusive rights for TSN only is not a good thing. I am not sure how to fix these issues and others but if these items can get rectified I think the league would be much stronger.

I would also like to see expansion to Quebec City and an east coast city. That would be fantastic but don't see how that would happen if a person and governments do not step up to the plate. Anyhow a few thoughts for the next commish.

Couldn't agree more. I've believed for a long time the reason people look down on the league is because the top players down there make more than the entire cap of a team up here. People today are totally obsessed with $$$. Really is quite sad.

Neely2005
06-21-2017, 08:10 PM
Couldn't agree more. I've believed for a long time the reason people look down on the league is because the top players down there make more than the entire cap of a team up here. People today are totally obsessed with $$$. Really is quite sad.

Yet 'lower tier' European soccer, basketball, rugby, hockey... leagues are popular and well respected in their home countries.

argotom
06-21-2017, 09:16 PM
Expansion must be on the top of the agenda for a new Commish.

jerrym
06-21-2017, 11:19 PM
I honestly can't imagine how Michael Clemons is not suited to the job. His academic, business and football backgrounds north and south of the border are second to none. Selfishly though if the CFL are not interested the Argos should be. I am amazed he was not offered the CEO job last year under the new ownership group.

Considering what has happened to many commissioners, I doubt very much he wants the headaches.

1971GreyCup
06-22-2017, 06:23 AM
Curtis Rush writes in today's Toronto Star

"Who’s the boss?

There are several candidates competing for the job of CFL commissioner. The league is looking for a person with CEO experience who has a strong business acumen. Although the league won’t officially identify candidates, the names are believed to include former Basketball Canada CEO Wayne Parrish, former CFL star and financial services industry executive Randy Ambrosie and Scott Mitchell, president of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. But shouldn’t Michael (Pinball) Clemons be considered? He hasn’t even been interviewed. Now special adviser to the Argonauts, Clemons runs five companies, along with his charitable foundation. Has anyone done more for the league in the past 28 years?"

I understand that for the first time, Michael confirmed interest in the Commissioner's job yesterday on the Marshall Ferguson TSN1150. Pinball did 6 TSN radio interviews for the opening day of the CFL yesterday, before flying to Oregon to pay final respects to Coach Matthews. He already sounds very much like carrying the responsibilities of Commissioner. I didn't hear or see any other representatives of the CFL pumping the league yesterday.

Finally, someone has asked the question why would the CFL bring in an outsider Now? Has anyone else had to train an incompetent new boss brought in from outside the organization, knowing that they'll never make it? The league is still reeling over mistakening hiring a very promising outsider Commissioner. The opportunity cost to repeat this error to the league is HUGE.

Management guru Peter Drucker said "Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things."

https://www.thestar.com/sports/football/2017/06/21/in-search-of-a-commissioner-and-nine-other-cfl-answers.html

1971GreyCup
06-22-2017, 07:40 AM
Clemons: Commissioner job would interest me "at some point"

CFL Hall of Fame Running Back Michael "Pinball" Clemons joins Marshall Ferguson to chat about the 2017 CFL Season. Clemons gives us his opinion on the East Division, quarterback he would be a team around and much more. Commissioner job would be an interest for me "at some point"

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-1150/clemons-commissioner-job-would-interest-me-at-some-point-1.785305

Neely2005
06-22-2017, 08:22 AM

It's all about a lack of interest in the CFL these days, changing demographics a lack of football in high schools, more young people playing and watching other sports like soccer and basketball. 12 High Schools in Toronto with football teams, 50 High Schools with jr and sr soccer teams, 50 High Schools with jr and sr basketball teams.

Seems like a no brainer, so pretty much 0 chance the league will do it.

Argofan_1000
06-22-2017, 07:08 PM
I think the league could use a Promoter like boxing had, UFC, MLS, NBA etc. Not hard skills as the first criteria. Running a business - nice but not necessary. Needs to be a visionary with fresh ideas, selling the CFL and offering partnerships. Finding ways to increase revenue, know how to use the next CBA to their advantage and promote the league. He or She will be hit with the next CBA - television contract. The big money is in the US. All the majors in Toronto depend on it or they would be dead. Don't know how to do it but they need to find a way with the new commissioner. I think J.O. did his part and setup some great things on the web.

argolio
06-22-2017, 11:09 PM
Yet 'lower tier' European soccer, basketball, rugby, hockey... leagues are popular and well respected in their home countries.Things are changing there. Soccer leagues in smaller European countries are complaining about fans who prefer to stay home to watch the English Premier League. That league makes more annually in TV rights fees than MLB. Only the NFL and the NBA make more worldwide.

1971GreyCup
06-23-2017, 06:44 AM
Things are changing there. Soccer leagues in smaller European countries are complaining about fans who prefer to stay home to watch the English Premier League. That league makes more annually in TV rights fees than MLB. Only the NFL and the NBA make more worldwide.

English Premier League has an interesting business model. They share a 6£ Billion TV deal which permits them to offer reasonable tickets at the gate. The average fan isn't priced out of attending and still attend. Chants, songs and full stadiums make for Great TV. Nothing worse that the Leafs lower bowl being empty for the first five minutes as businessmen finish their beers in the suites below. Even in their seats it is hard to generate interest in people attending that don't necessarily support the team.

Jon Gonzo
06-23-2017, 09:06 AM
Pinball is destined for great things, because he is a great person with great passion and potential.

This applies to anything that he chooses to tackle.

The CFL would be lucky to get him, and they should feel blessed that he'd even consider it. To my eyes, it really is the perfect opportunity to grow this game.

The CFL needs media (all the different kinds of it) and the medium loves Pinball. Faceless CEO's are easy to come by, and VP Bean Counters are a dime a dozen.

But this little dynamo has been earmarked for bigger fish fry's than the Canadian Football League.

As mentioned earlier, as the CFL generally screws these types of decisions up, I expect they will nash and natter this opportunity away and Mike Clemons will go onto bigger and more important stages.

I'll say this; doubting people who are this positive and irrepressible, is a losing game.

Mike Clemons is a winner. The CFL needs a winner. It is staring them right in the face, but they are most likely blind to it.

rant over

AngeloV
06-23-2017, 11:37 AM
The more I think about it, the more I am starting to buy in to the Pinball thing. 1971 and Gonzo are making great cases.

Neely2005
06-23-2017, 12:23 PM
Pinball is destined for great things, because he is a great person with great passion and potential.

The CFL would be lucky to get him, and they should feel blessed that he'd even consider it. To my eyes, it really is the perfect opportunity to grow this game.

The CFL needs media (all the different kinds of it) and the medium loves Pinball. Faceless CEO's are easy to come by, and VP Bean Counters are a dime a dozen.

But this little dynamo has been earmarked for bigger fish fry's than the Canadian Football League.

As mentioned earlier, as the CFL generally screws these types of decisions up, I expect they will nash and natter this opportunity away and Mike Clemons will go onto bigger and more important stages.

I'll say this; doubting people who are this positive and irrepressible, is a losing game.

Mike Clemons is a winner. The CFL needs a winner. It is staring them right in the face, but they are most likely blind to it.

rant over

Well said! It's so obvious that they're blind to it.

Scooter McCray
06-23-2017, 02:33 PM

rant overAmen. Still don't understand how the new Argo owners did not tap him to be their CEO. And stop saying he's not interested.

doubleblue
06-23-2017, 03:45 PM

rant over

Very well said. Someone needs to start a petition for the ticket buyers. Draft Mike Clements and pay him double the money they wasted on the last guy. Than hire a bean counter to count the beans and let Michael do what he does best. Preach the CFL word from Coast to Coast.

1971GreyCup
06-23-2017, 05:32 PM

rant over

Jon,

The only fault I have with your rant is that it's too short! (Grin)

Sometimes the league just can't get out of its on way. Tom Peters wrote in "Search for Excellence" said sometimes the best thing management can do is get out of the way and let things get down. I didn't see any CFL management examples in Peters book.

1971GreyCup
06-24-2017, 09:43 AM
"The Caretaker" Bob Young knows what he is looking for in a CFL Commissioner. Sounds like "Pinball".

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/sports/cfl-mounts-fan-blitz-to-reverse-ticketslump/article35457932/?ref=https://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Neely2005
06-24-2017, 10:55 AM
Very well said. Someone needs to start a petition for the ticket buyers. Draft Mike Clements and pay him double the money they wasted on the last guy. Than hire a bean counter to count the beans and let Michael do what he does best. Preach the CFL word from Coast to Coast.

You forgot a Coast!
:-)

Check this out:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GBbruins/status/878288311218995202?p=p

1971GreyCup
06-24-2017, 04:59 PM

You nailed it doubleblue. Put a Michael Copeland type as CEO and unleash "Pinball".

R.J
06-24-2017, 09:43 PM
The League needs someone that understands how the League and fanbase works. Also has to (IMO) rebuild the fanbase with young fans -not only the 18-34 crowd, but the under mentioned 17 and under crowd. Bring in more corporate sponsors. And if that individual is there long enough: ensure that the next tv deal goes to multiple networks - I also believe a streaming option similar to NLLTV is a necessity. Expansion and video gaming are also musts imo, not that they have expand within 2-5 years, but at least some groundwork done, and plans lad ahead for the future. Video review will probably not be taken out anytime soon, but I hope that the next Commish pushes and succeeds in getting it scaled back big time, and that the current GM's and Head Coaches are given less say in how the League/game is run. Last but certainly not the least is to Fire Glen Johnson!

The next CBA is also important, but part of the Commish's job is to appease the Owners, so I hope the players do whatever they can to get more.

1971GreyCup
06-25-2017, 07:24 AM
Just saw on the CP24 News Ticker:

Tickets available for Sunday's Argonauts Home Opener.

Nice to see Bell starting to make use of its media muscle.

Isn't CP24 owned by Rogers?

Neely2005
06-25-2017, 07:50 AM
Isn't CP24 owned by Rogers?

No, Bell. Rogers has City TV. If you scroll down to the bottom of this Link you'll see the Bell Logo:

http://www.cp24.com/mobile/

(Also I meant to put this in the GDT so I've moved it)

1971GreyCup
06-25-2017, 07:57 AM
No, Bell. Rogers has City TV. If you scroll down to the bottom of this Link you'll see the Bell Logo:

http://www.cp24.com/mobile/

(Also I meant to put this in the GDT so I've moved it)

Thanks. I wasn't sure about the CityTV assets. CTV & TSN were no brainers. By the way, Bell Media own 50% of the equity in the Argos. Read through the BCE Inc. annual report and buried in the footnotes 80% through the 162 page document was this tidbit.

ArgoRavi
06-25-2017, 02:08 PM
Thanks. I wasn't sure about the CityTV assets. CTV & TSN were no brainers. By the way, Bell Media own 50% of the equity in the Argos. Read through the BCE Inc. annual report and buried in the footnotes 80% through the 162 page document was this tidbit.

CP24 used to be affiliated with CityTV but that changed at some point over the past few years.

ArgoRavi
06-25-2017, 02:10 PM
The League needs someone that understands how the League and fanbase works. Also has to (IMO) rebuild the fanbase with young fans -not only the 18-34 crowd, but the under mentioned 17 and under crowd. Bring in more corporate sponsors. And if that individual is there long enough: ensure that the next tv deal goes to multiple networks - I also believe a streaming option similar to NLLTV is a necessity. Expansion and video gaming are also musts imo, not that they have expand within 2-5 years, but at least some groundwork done, and plans lad ahead for the future. Video review will probably not be taken out anytime soon, but I hope that the next Commish pushes and succeeds in getting it scaled back big time, and that the current GM's and Head Coaches are given less say in how the League/game is run. Last but certainly not the least is to Fire Glen Johnson!

The next CBA is also important, but part of the Commish's job is to appease the Owners, so I hope the players do whatever they can to get more.

What is funny is that we have been hearing for over 30 years that the CFL has trouble getting the younger folk (teens and 18-34) to follow the league. And yet, at some point, many of the people in these age groups do eventually come around to the CFL. My theory has been that the CFL isn't "cool" to the younger folk but as they age, they realize how little "being cool" matters and eventually come to realize what a wonderful product the CFL is.

jerrym
06-26-2017, 08:18 PM
Let others take care of the X's and O's of the league, while Pinball sells the CFL, just like when he led the Argos to the Grey Cup in 2004.

Neely2005
06-28-2017, 09:28 PM
Randy Ambroise will be the new CFL Commissioner:

http://3downnation.com/2017/06/28/former-cfl-lineman-randy-ambrosie-named-new-commissioner-report/

7dj83r8f78t4alf8