PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental Draft

doubleblue
06-27-2017, 08:16 PM
I see Winnipeg just drafted a starting WR out of Minnesota. Drew Wolitarsky 6'2 220. Cost them a 3rd round pick next year. Had a pretty good Senior year in 2016 with 66 catches and 5 TDs. Was an invitee to the Vikings this year. Could be a good SB prospect if he comes North providing he is out of the NFL. The Vikings roster doesn't show him listed right now, so maybe wasn't offered a contract for training camp.

jerrym
06-27-2017, 08:21 PM
A good bet at low cost, especially when you take into account they still had two third round draft choices next year, thanks to a trade with guess who for a certain QB.

paulwoods13
06-27-2017, 08:52 PM
How many supplementary drafts can this league hold? Is this not the second this year?

gilthethrill
06-27-2017, 08:52 PM
Did the CFL have 3 supplemental drafts this year?

argolio
06-27-2017, 10:49 PM
How does this guy qualify as Canadian?

AngeloV
06-28-2017, 10:16 AM
How does this guy qualify as Canadian?

Yet Boris Bede who played CIS doesn't? League really needs to look at the guidelines and make some changes.

doubleblue
06-28-2017, 12:07 PM
A good bet at low cost, especially when you take into account they still had two third round draft choices next year, thanks to a trade with guess who for a certain QB.

Good point. They use the Argos 3 round pick to take this guy. Is that Willy trade finally done? Wolitarsky looks like a pretty good prospect that can be brought along as a back up to start with. Started 2 years Div I Big Ten rated a late round pick in the NFL because of average speed and lack of separation on routes. But the waggle in the CFL that will speed up his game. Could be a steal for the Bombers. (in more ways than one).

doubleblue
06-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Did the CFL have 3 supplemental drafts this year?

I had thought there was an earlier one this year. How does this work now? Maybe every time a player finds out he has Canadian roots its a conference call and "make your bids boys".
I really don't mind. Helps make up a little for the Canadian talent pool getting drained off by the NFL.

ArgoRavi
06-29-2017, 12:49 AM
I had thought there was an earlier one this year. How does this work now? Maybe every time a player finds out he has Canadian roots its a conference call and "make your bids boys".
I really don't mind. Helps make up a little for the Canadian talent pool getting drained off by the NFL.

I believe that is indeed how supplemental drafts work.

Winnipeg is thin on Canadian receiving talent so this move makes sense for them.

OV Argo
06-29-2017, 10:37 AM
I believe that is indeed how supplemental drafts work.

Winnipeg is thin on Canadian receiving talent so this move makes sense for them.

Yeah - seems kinda silly & mickey mouse - holding another draft after the season starts. I'm not against the extra qualifier rule - guy's mom is Canadian so he can get citizenship (?); but organize all these guys in the off-season and hold the supplemental all at one time, or else they wait till next year; I'd do away with the supplemental all together - if the guy does not find out he qualifies and submits proof in time for the main draft = he has to wait till next season.

And Walters & O'Shea passed on some good receiver prospects last draft - their GOB training sees them go for O-line "depth" or special teamers instead of addressing real team needs in the draft.

paulwoods13
06-29-2017, 11:53 AM
What makes it especially ridiculous is that the season has started. Surely there must be a date after which no more drafts can take place? Otherwise a guy could surface late in the season and a top-ranked team that was heading towards a low draft pick might be inclined to bid a higher round than it would have before the season.

Jayahre
06-29-2017, 02:04 PM
Yet Boris Bede who played CIS doesn't? League really needs to look at the guidelines and make some changes.

Change the rules and REDUCE the Canadian content. It's about time, every year we see high schools cutting their football programs which translates to fewer going to the CIS and fewer quality players for the CFL to draft.
The ratio may have been alright 20 or 30 years ago but times have changed.
It's not like it would make any difference in interest in the CFL, especially in Toronto. The Jays have no quota and they have a strong following and close to selling out every game, the TFC had 27k at their game on Friday night and another 26k at their Tuesday night game which wasn't even an MLS game, their fans couldn't care less that the majority of their players are non-Canadian.
It's time to move on and make some drastic changes in the CFL. Judging by the huge interest in the other sports teams in Toronto, reducing the Canadian ratio may in fact increase the interest in the CFL in Toronto.

AngeloV
06-29-2017, 02:47 PM
Change the rules and REDUCE the Canadian content. It's about time, every year we see high schools cutting their football programs which translates to fewer going to the CIS and fewer quality players for the CFL to draft.
It's not like it would make any difference in interest in the CFL, especially in Toronto. The Jays have no quota and they have a strong following and close to selling out every game, the TFC had 27k at their game on Friday night and another 26k at their Tuesday night game which wasn't even an MLS game, their fans couldn't care less that the majority of their players are non-Canadian.
It's time to move on and make some drastic changes in the CFL. Judging by the huge interest in the other sports teams in Toronto, reducing the Canadian ratio may in fact increase the interest in the CFL in Toronto.

You're wrong about this. Yes, less high schools are playing football (at least in the GTA), but minor football is thriving in Quebec, Western Canada and even in Toronto. There are more Canadian kids playing in the NCAA then ever. The only thing I want changed is for any player that played CIS, regardless of what their background, be automatically given National status.

doubleblue
06-29-2017, 02:58 PM

I don't see anything changing in the for see able future. Maybe change to 6 starters from 7 if the League ever adds a 10th team. The League already tried, or maybe it was a bluff, to reduce the starters to 4 on the last contract. Was quite an out cry from the fans across the Country against that.

jerrym
06-29-2017, 10:22 PM

I disagree. For those who want only the so-called 'best' players, they will only be satisfied with NFL players and will not respond to even journeymen NFLers, but be demanding star players to bring about their attendance at games. Whatever happens, the CFL will simply not be able to attract such fans. On the other, there are lots of Canadians who will lose interest in the league if Canadian content disappears or becomes a rarity.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8