View Full Version : 2017 In-Season Transactions

Will
06-28-2017, 10:49 AM
The Argos added Marcus Alford to the PR yesterday.

That might suggest not so great news for Josh Mitchell.

mchesher03
06-28-2017, 11:14 AM
too bad if true (re: Mitchell), play happened early in game 1 too.

AngeloV
06-28-2017, 11:28 AM
too bad if true (re: Mitchell), play happened early in game 1 too.

Looked like it was actually Gabriel that accidentally took him out.

Will
06-28-2017, 11:52 AM
Looked like it was actually Gabriel that accidentally took him out.

Gabriel did take him out. There has been no official word from the Argos yet, but Mitchell's tweets do not suggest that it is a short-term injury.

Shatto
06-28-2017, 01:10 PM
Seems like a sensible move. Alford played 11 games last year and though I didn't watch him carefully, it appeared as if he played reasonable well. Was a rookie last year (23 years old), so he may well improve with more experience. Suspect Harris, who is on the active list, will dress in place of Mitchell and Rose or even Alford move from P.R. to active roster.

paulwoods13
06-28-2017, 04:36 PM
This is not surprising, and a good move. Mitchell was clearly very badly injured -- he appeared to be in a lot of pain on the trainer's table after being helped off the field, and came back to the field later in a full leg boot. Safe to assume he's done for the year. Alford was (along with Berry) a somewhat surprising cut so it's good to bring him right back as he already knows CC's system.

jerrym
06-29-2017, 10:10 PM
Alford showed some promise last year and should be better with experience.

Wobbler
07-05-2017, 02:58 PM
I just noticed that last week we "traded" Jeff Perrett to Montreal, presumably so he could retire as an Al.

R.J
07-11-2017, 08:22 PM
McFadden has been released. Honestly is anyone surprised ?

Curtis Newton was released as well, a little surprising this early in his career I suppose.

Wobbler
07-11-2017, 10:46 PM
I guess we're content with Plummer as Woods' backup, so yeah, McFadden was expendable. Onyeka (and maybe Herdman) passed Newton on the depth chart, so... might as well safe the money, I guess.

R.J
07-12-2017, 11:04 PM
I guess we're content with Plummer as Woods' backup, so yeah, McFadden was expendable. Onyeka (and maybe Herdman) passed Newton on the depth chart, so... might as well safe the money, I guess.
Herdman really impressed me during the preseason (too bad it was only preseason lol).

gilthethrill
07-12-2017, 11:38 PM

Has Oneyka dressed in the regular season? He was impressive during the exhibition season. Plummer looked good on special teams on Saturday night.

Wobbler
07-12-2017, 11:50 PM
We dressed Oneyka (https://www.cfl.ca/players/nakas-onyeka/163186/) for games 1 and 3.

AngeloV
07-13-2017, 01:04 AM
Has Oneyka dressed in the regular season? He was impressive during the exhibition season. Plummer looked good on special teams on Saturday night.

Upgrade speed wise over Newton for sure.

doubleblue
07-13-2017, 07:24 AM
We dressed Oneyka (https://www.cfl.ca/players/nakas-onyeka/163186/) for games 1 and 3.

Oneyka and Woodson look like they will be the best players from this past year draft. There are two more Oneyko's on the way (cousins or brothers)? I believe. Both played in the CIS East/West all star Bowl this spring. Kene Oneyka (6'3 240) LB/DE at Carleton and Godfrey Oneyka (6'3 205) DB at Laurier.

OV Argo
07-13-2017, 01:08 PM
Oneyka and Woodson look like they will be the best players from this past year draft. There are two more Oneyko's on the way (cousins or brothers)? I believe. Both played in the CIS East/West all star Bowl this spring. Kene Oneyka (6'3 240) LB/DE at Carleton and Godfrey Oneyka (6'3 205) DB at Laurier.

Godfrey ( i beleive Nakas' brother ?) is a big corner and has been a CIS all-star; his 40 time was a bit disappointing at this past East/West game Combine, but he might be a top draft pick (likely converted to safety?) - does not look like a real deep CFL draft crop upcoming for next year, IMO.

Wobbler
07-18-2017, 10:24 AM
This week we cut WR Jamel Johnson from the PR and added DB Alden Darby, who was an all-star safety with Arizona State before bouncing around on NFL PRs and IRs.

ArgoGabe22
07-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Jamel Johnson looked good in pre season. Like a Jamel Richardson clone

Wobbler
07-18-2017, 01:12 PM
His TD reception from Prukop did look nice, and I thought he might be a candidate for promotion now that we've run into some receiver injuries. Guess not!

Wobbler
07-20-2017, 07:01 PM
We signed WR Kendall Sanders (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=125068&draftyear=2017&genpos=WR) to the PR today. He had an... *interesting* college career, culminating in a productive season with Arkansas State last year.

Rich
07-21-2017, 02:04 AM
We signed WR Kendall Sanders (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=125068&draftyear=2017&genpos=WR) to the PR today. He had an... *interesting* college career, culminating in a productive season with Arkansas State last year.

With Fuller and Posey and Worthy out, the WR ranks are pretty thin and it can't hurt to add another. Devon Wylie comes off the 6-game a week Saturday and i can't wait to see how he does under the Trestman system. In the meantime it's a great opportunity for Canadian guys to get more playing time. Maybe Jones is finally ready. Question: Why did Jimmy Ralph get the starting WR spot ahead of Llevi Noel? I thought Noel should have been "next man up".

doubleblue
07-21-2017, 08:33 AM
With Fuller and Posey and Worthy out, the WR ranks are pretty thin and it can't hurt to add another. Devon Wylie comes off the 6-game a week Saturday and i can't wait to see how he does under the Trestman system. In the meantime it's a great opportunity for Canadian guys to get more playing time. Maybe Jones is finally ready. Question: Why did Jimmy Ralph get the starting WR spot ahead of Llevi Noel? I thought Noel should have been "next man up".

Noel got into the game a few times in the 4th but didn't see the ball. However, seeing he is one of the key guys on the kick team right now I can see the Coaches not wanting to wear him out running decoy routes on every offensive play. One step at a time.

paulwoods13
07-21-2017, 08:52 AM
Noel got into the game a few times in the 4th but didn't see the ball. However, seeing he is one of the key guys on the kick team right now I can see the Coaches not wanting to wear him out running decoy routes on every offensive play. One step at a time.

That makes sense. Plus Ralph may simply be a better receiver at this point, based on camp and practices.

OV Argo
07-21-2017, 08:50 PM

Bigger question to me would be why would Paden be getting playing time over Noel, Jones or Ralph ?

ArgoRavi
07-23-2017, 02:18 AM
Bigger question to me would be why would Paden be getting playing time over Noel, Jones or Ralph ?

Paden was quite productive against Winnipeg. I thought he played well.

OV Argo
07-23-2017, 09:39 AM

Yep - caught the ball / no drops that I saw.

AngeloV
07-23-2017, 01:32 PM

Looked like he was banged up as he came up hobbling after 1 play. Likely the reason he isn't in the line-up this week, on top of the Fuller return.

BATKINSON001
08-01-2017, 09:54 AM
According to his twitter matt black says he has to be released...

@mattblack39
Dear @TorontoArgos fans. I have be released by the team. I'll have more to say once I collect my thoughts. #Thankful

AngeloV
08-01-2017, 11:13 AM

@mattblack39
Dear @TorontoArgos fans. I have be released by the team. I'll have more to say once I collect my thoughts. #Thankful

A little surprising, but not overly. He likely makes much bigger coin than rookie Woodson or Matt Webster, and he's not going to pass Gabriel on the depth chart again. I hope he can catch on somewhere. Good guy and has really nice parents. Have spoken with them at practice many times.

Shatto
08-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Another player who was a fan favourite and gave his all for the team, is released--like Durie and Foley. Perhaps necessary, in the opinion of the coaches but still sad.

AngeloV
08-01-2017, 11:19 AM
Another player who was a fan favourite and gave his all for the team, is released--like Durie and Foley. Perhaps necessary, in the opinion of the coaches but still sad.

So what should they do? Keep these guys in the line-up even if they are no longer helping the team?

Wobbler
08-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Black probably deserves his own thread, but Devon Wylie was also released.

paulwoods13
08-01-2017, 12:21 PM
It definitely is sad to see Matt released. He's been a leader and a loyal soldier for many years. Unfortunately, Woodson does everything he used to do for us, and is younger and cheaper. Worth remembering that Black was not signed until just before camp. He was probably an insurance policy; I suspect if he hadn't got hurt in camp, he'd have been released before the season.

Stevoman
08-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Devon Wylie is released as well which is a bit more of a surprise to me than Black. Perhaps Jackson's play made him expendable?

ArgoGabe22
08-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Not surprised by move both moves

AngeloV
08-01-2017, 02:26 PM
Not surprised by move both moves

Neither am I. Black was with the Argos for 8 seasons. Not a lot of players do that anymore.

Shatto
08-01-2017, 04:54 PM
It is a quantum leap, to go from a statement, that it is sad to see a fan favourite being released, to inferring the statement implies that the team should "keep these guys in the line-up if they are no longer helping the team".

It is entirely possible that Black with his experience and versatility could still contribute, especially as a back-up. However it is completely understandable that the team might want to go in a different direction with a younger and cheaper player, like Woodson.

Professional sports teams are always looking to the possible replacement of a veteran with a younger, cheaper player particularly if the younger player appears to have a greater potential upside. Understandable--yes. Necessary--yes. Inevitable--yes. However, it still sad when it does occur, especially when it is a local player who is a fan favourite.

The team's announcement of Black's release was classy and tasteful. It complimented Black's accomplishments and achievements over his career both on the field and within the community. Kudos to the team in handling this in a positive and professional manner.

argolio
08-01-2017, 11:24 PM
I'm surprised Wylie lasted through camp. Maybe he did because they weren't sure if the other receivers would produce once the season began.

Wobbler
08-01-2017, 11:41 PM
WR/KR is an interesting skill set. I think we knew we had recruited/acquired better receivers but weren't sure about the return game. Wylie's release is probably a statement of confidence in Jackson and a sign that Worthy will be back before too long.

ArgoRavi
08-02-2017, 12:30 AM
I'm surprised Wylie lasted through camp. Maybe he did because they weren't sure if the other receivers would produce once the season began.

As Wylie is a veteran, I am pretty sure that the Argos couldn't just release him when he was injured in training camp. They had to wait for him to get healthy before cutting him loose. Certainly, the play of other receivers and Martese Jackson made this an easy move.

timlb01
08-02-2017, 11:21 AM
As Wylie is a veteran, I am pretty sure that the Argos couldn't just release him when he was injured in training camp. They had to wait for him to get healthy before cutting him loose. Certainly, the play of other receivers and Martese Jackson made this an easy move.

That is a good point. Can someone clarify the rules around releasing players, rookies vs vets with "X" number of years?

Thanks

gilthethrill
08-02-2017, 11:28 AM
That is a good point. Can someone clarify the rules around releasing players, rookies vs vets with "X" number of years?

Thanks

I believe if you are a vet and you are released prior to Labour Day, the team does not have to pay you. If you are a vet and released after Labour Day the team is obligated to pay your salary until the end of the season.

OV Argo
08-04-2017, 03:53 PM
I see the ego-Jones Riders have cut Linden Gaydosh - former 1st round pick and one of the highest rated DTs for the CFL draft in the past number of years; Gaydosh had injury issues - in his NFL shot with the Panthers, then with the Ticats, and I guess now still with the Riders this year ? Could be the guy is done due to injury problems, or maybe he just doesn't have it at the pro level? But I wouldn't trust ego-Jones on evaluating Canadian talent and would bring in Gaydosh for a look - costs nothing and in a big area of Argo need now - DT - Waud hurt again?; what up with Cash? Butler still out. Finley and the rookie import DT are doing just ok, and IMO they need help.

Neely2005
08-06-2017, 08:05 PM
Argos sign former Alouettes receiver:

http://3downnation.com/2017/08/06/argos-sign-former-alouettes-receiver/

Wobbler
08-06-2017, 08:50 PM
Interesting. I thought our NAT receiver depth was already quite good.

Maybe it's the dreads. ;)

gilthethrill
08-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Interesting. I thought our NAT receiver depth was already quite good.

Maybe it's the dreads. ;)

For some reason I see Brian Jones being moved.

Wobbler
08-06-2017, 09:10 PM
The new regime doesn't seem too impressed with Jones, for whatever reason. I still wish we'd give him a shot at TE.

Shatto
08-06-2017, 11:40 PM
Interesting signing. The team already has Williams, Noel, Ralph and Jones with Jones not getting playing time this year. Could it be Popp preferring and having more faith in a player he drafted rather than a player someone else drafted? Jones can't be placed on the PR, as he certainly would be claimed by another team --suspect Hamilton would grab him in a heartbeat. If he continues to be overlooked by the team, he would undoubtedly look elsewhere, as a free agent at the end of this season. Perhaps conjecture expressed on this thread is true, the team may attempt to move him before the end of the season. It makes sense to try to get something for him rather than see him walk at the end of the season

On paper there doesn't seem to be any comparison between Jones and Charette. Charette was drafted 36th and jones 4th overall. Charette was released in June and no team has shown any interest in him till now. Jones is bigger stronger and faster, so it does make some sense that the team is thinking of trading him, while they can still get something in exchange. Hopefully it is not to Hamilton, as I dread to think of ones coming back to haunt us in a Ti-Cat uniform.

Wobbler
08-07-2017, 12:26 AM
If we don't like Jones, why not expose him?

ArgoGabe22
08-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Matt Black was brought back, after Gabriel's injury. And it was Graves who was let go, not Jones.

Neely2005
08-07-2017, 11:11 AM

@mattblack39

Apparently he just re-signed with the Argonauts.

@Argonauts_PR: #Argos have added a trio of Canadians to the roster: DL Linden Gaydosh, WR Alex Charette & DB Matt Black. #CFL

https://twitter.com/Argonauts_PR/status/894563038434660352

doubleblue
08-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Could be Trestman is thinking of starting two Canadians at receiver. I remember Charette playing and making some receptions last year with the Als. Different Coaching staff there now and maybe he didn't fit their system. Popp drafted him so must still think he can help out if needed.

paulwoods13
08-07-2017, 12:44 PM
I had a feeling Black would be called back if Gabriel's injury was serious. Apparently it is (not surprising considering they had his shoulder area heavily taped after he went down). Very tough news for Gabriel, who has been injured repeatedly. If he ever has a year where he stays healthy, IMO he has all-star potential.

As for receivers, Graves was pretty well only a STer and reserve kicker, whereas Jones and presumably Charette have at least the potential to play on offence eventually. Graves' departure likely means McDaniel will continue to dress because I think he is now the backup kicker. That means we are devoting three DI spots to running backs (Wilder, Jackson and McDaniel), leaving little roster flexibility elsewhere.

Shatto
08-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Black's resigning raises an interesting question. If the coaches do not believe that either Woodson or Webster were capable of replacing Gabriel, why did they release Black in the first place?

argolio
08-07-2017, 05:25 PM
The new regime doesn't seem too impressed with Jones, for whatever reason. I still wish we'd give him a shot at TE.First he has to get and stay healthy. Can't start building a pro resume until he does that.

gilthethrill
08-07-2017, 05:41 PM
Somewhat unrelated, but former Argo OT Tony Washington was released by Edmonton and quickly signed by Hamilton. Too bad the Argos couldnt have grabbed him. Oh and welcome back Matt Black!

AngeloV
08-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Black's resigning raises an interesting question. If the coaches do not believe that either Woodson or Webster were capable of replacing Gabriel, why did they release Black in the first place?

My guess is they were considering going to an import at safety and perhaps moving Woodson to the corner in such a scenario.

Rich
08-08-2017, 12:34 AM
That means we are devoting three DI spots to running backs (Wilder, Jackson and McDaniel), leaving little roster flexibility elsewhere.

I'm having trouble understanding The Professor's thought process here. What advantage is there in playing McDaniel? He's smaller and doesn't block as well as Wilder. I noticed he played a lot of specials the other night, but that's what I thought Wilder was good for. There's got to be a good reason why Trestman had the extra INT slotted at RB instead of on Defence where it was obviously needed more.

paulwoods13
08-08-2017, 08:44 AM
I'm having trouble understanding The Professor's thought process here. What advantage is there in playing McDaniel? He's smaller and doesn't block as well as Wilder. I noticed he played a lot of specials the other night, but that's what I thought Wilder was good for. There's got to be a good reason why Trestman had the extra INT slotted at RB instead of on Defence where it was obviously needed more.

As I said above, I'm pretty sure McDaniel is now the backup kicker. Dressing someone who can kick in an emergency is essential. Plus McDaniel can play ST, and he was one of our two KRs last game. He's a RB officially, but I doubt we'll see him get any more reps at that position with three guys ahead of him.

paulwoods13
08-08-2017, 08:46 AM

Likely for salary reasons. If Gabriel was healthy, the smart play is to continue developing the much cheaper rookie (Woodson) and young player (Webster) and to use some of Black's higher salary somewhere else.

jerrym
08-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Interesting signing. The team already has Williams, Noel, Ralph and Jones with Jones not getting playing time this year. Could it be Popp preferring and having more faith in a player he drafted rather than a player someone else drafted? ...

On paper there doesn't seem to be any comparison between Jones and Charette. Charette was drafted 36th and jones 4th overall. Charette was released in June and no team has shown any interest in him till now. Jones is bigger stronger and faster, so it does make some sense that the team is thinking of trading him, while they can still get something in exchange. Hopefully it is not to Hamilton, as I dread to think of ones coming back to haunt us in a Ti-Cat uniform.

Based on Popp's record in the past, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Wobbler
08-22-2017, 11:37 AM
It looks like we released Alford and Tuck yesterday.

Will
08-22-2017, 11:44 AM

A tad surprising on Alford given that Akwasi Owusu-Ansah got hurt on Saturday (not that the former is up to the level of the latter). Maybe another move or signing is in the works?

Wobbler
08-22-2017, 11:51 AM
AK is (surprisingly) only day-to-day, but yeah: I just noticed a new name on the roster. Apparently we signed DB Khalid Wooten today (https://www.argonauts.ca/players/khalid-wooten-2/161775/). Wooten was released by the Cats a few days ago, after starting a few games at boundary half and boundary corner.

cfl-cis fan
08-22-2017, 12:17 PM

Does that mean Jones may finally get a chance to get in at TE or something since Tuck is gone!!

Will
08-22-2017, 12:18 PM
Wooten was originally signed by Popp last year in Montreal so there is a connection.

Wobbler
08-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Does that mean Jones may finally get a chance to get in at TE or something since Tuck is gone!!
Tuck has been on the PR since week 4, and probably decided he had had enough. It doesn't look like we urgently needed his PR spot for someone else.

jerrym
08-23-2017, 02:47 AM
A tad surprising on Alford given that Akwasi Owusu-Ansah got hurt on Saturday (not that the former is up to the level of the latter). Maybe another move or signing is in the works?

I was surprised for the same reason.

Will
08-23-2017, 10:32 AM
I was surprised for the same reason.

Another DB was added so it makes a little more sense now.

Wobbler
09-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Looks like Cash had some kind of setback or a new injury - we put him on the six game IR yesterday. It's starting to look like he'll miss the entire season.

gilthethrill
09-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Looks like Cash had some kind of setback or a new injury - we put him on the six game IR yesterday. It's starting to look like he'll miss the entire season.

He dressed for the win against Montreal, I was there but I don't know if he got many snaps. Apparently he had an off season procedure, but everything is tight lipped. Too bad but nice to have Wynn and Bishop in the lineup.

Jon Gonzo
09-07-2017, 09:46 PM
He dressed for the win against Montreal, I was there but I don't know if he got many snaps. Apparently he had an off season procedure, but everything is tight lipped. Too bad but nice to have Wynn and Bishop in the lineup.

An infection in the leg has hampered Cash this season.

Wobbler
09-10-2017, 01:58 PM
In addition to Mitchell White (mentioned in the NFL airlift thread), we picked up NAT DB Anthony Coady today (https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/09/10/argos-sign-mitchell-white-anthony-coady/). I'm not sure how he compares with Woodson or Webster, but I guess we'll find out.

OV Argo
09-10-2017, 11:08 PM
In addition to Mitchell White (mentioned in the NFL airlift thread), we picked up NAT DB Anthony Coady today (https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/09/10/argos-sign-mitchell-white-anthony-coady/). I'm not sure how he compares with Woodson or Webster, but I guess we'll find out.

Coady was a very good safety in CIS ball with the Carabins, plus played some for the Als on STs; good signing IMO, and probably a much more capable player than Webster on D - if he can play STs well, a good back-up safety too maybe.

doubleblue
09-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Coady was a very good safety in CIS ball with the Carabins, plus played some for the Als on STs; good signing IMO, and probably a much more capable player than Webster on D - if he can play STs well, a good back-up safety too maybe.

Could be White will be replacing Matt Black at CB, with safety becoming a Canadian position again. Coady signed for more depth there. Vaughan back to LB.

gilthethrill
09-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Could be White will be replacing Matt Black at CB, with safety becoming a Canadian position again. Coady signed for more depth there. Vaughan back to LB.

I look forward to having AK and White on the corners. Hope Black is kept. Still think he is a usefully vet.

Wobbler
09-14-2017, 12:34 PM
We just signed Bryan Tyms (http://3downnation.com/2017/09/14/argos-sign-former-ticats-receiver-bryan-tyms/), who was released by Hamilton earlier this week.

gilthethrill
09-14-2017, 01:26 PM
We just signed Bryan Tyms (http://3downnation.com/2017/09/14/argos-sign-former-ticats-receiver-bryan-tyms/), who was released by Hamilton earlier this week.

He looked really good late last season. Hamilton stinks!

AngeloV
09-14-2017, 04:15 PM

Without divulging too much from what I have seen in practice the last 3 days, I can say that a lot of people on here are going to be happy that Jeff Fuller's days might be numbered. My educated guess is he will not be in the line-up Saturday.

Shatto
09-14-2017, 04:32 PM
It's always sad to see a once very capable player, no longer able to perform at his expected level. However, it is even sadder when a more deserving player is not being dressed. Fuller just looked as if he had not been able to overcome the loss of athletic ability caused by previous injuries.

ArgoZ
09-16-2017, 12:51 PM

I noticed Tyms during this years pre-season game and thought he looked good and I even asked my Ti-Cat friend about him. Now he's an Argonaut! I'm such a good scout. Apparently, he's SJ Green's bro-in law.

jerrym
09-16-2017, 03:58 PM
I noticed Tyms during this years pre-season game and thought he looked good and I even asked my Ti-Cat friend about him. Now he's an Argonaut! I'm such a good scout. Apparently, he's SJ Green's bro-in law.

He's no SJ, but he beats Jeff Fuller IMO.

Shatto
09-21-2017, 12:56 PM
Now that the CFL rosters have been extended, the Argos have signed a number of players to the PR. The 2 QB's are both described as dual threats but neither seem to have the pedigree of Fajardo or Prukop but one never knows when a diamond in the rough, might be discovered. The 2 that stuck me as interesting were RB Romar Morris, who was not used heavily at college but has 4.3 speed, so could also get a look at as a kick returner. The other is Sadat Sulleyman who is a bit of a tweener for he NFL--falling between a OLB and DE. All are a bit of a long shot but some good signings have come out of these CFL roster extensions in the past

doubleblue
09-21-2017, 01:01 PM
Now that the CFL rosters have been extended, the Argos have signed a number of players to the PR. The 2 QB's are both described as dual threats but neither seem to have the pedigree of Fajardo or Prukop but one never knows when a diamond in the rough, might be discovered. The 2 that stuck me as interesting were RB Romar Morris, who was not used heavily at college but has 4.3 speed, so could also get a look at as a kick returner. The other is Sadat Sulleyman who is a bit of a tweener for he NFL--falling between a OLB and DE. All are a bit of a long shot but some good signings have come out of these CFL roster extensions in the past

6 new players in camp. None show up yet on the Argo site or transactions. Which is nothing new. Frank in his Sun column only named Sulleyman. I guess we will find out the rest of the names eventually.

gilthethrill
09-21-2017, 03:17 PM
CFL shows the Argos added Chandler Worthy, the deleted him. Does that mean he was cut?

Shatto
09-21-2017, 03:23 PM
The six can be seen on CFL Transactions site. Worthy was deleted from active roster and placed on the inactive roster. Suspect this means, he was placed on a one game IR or on the PR. Doubt it would be the Practice Roster, though. It is disappointing how slowly the Argo transactions are shown on their web site.

jerrym
09-21-2017, 09:45 PM
The profiles of the six new players are now up at the Argonauts website below.

https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/09/21/argos-add-six-practice-roster/

Rich
09-23-2017, 03:24 AM
The 2 QB's are both described as dual threats but neither seem to have the pedigree of Fajardo or Prukop

Skyler Howard was a two-year starter at a powerhouse program and won 10 games in his last year. Probably a better pedigree than either Fajardo or Prokop. I find it interesting they keep signing these rollout/read-option QB's, you know, Johnny Manziel-style QBs. Coincidence?

Shatto
09-23-2017, 02:15 PM
Rich, I think I agree with your assessment of Howard compared to Prokop. However, with all due respect, Fajardo appears to be a better prospect than Howard. Fajardo played 41 game at college and Howard only 10. Fajardo was ranked 9th of 96 graduating QB, whereas Howard ranked 36 of 138. Fajardo is bigger and according to some sites faster, with a stronger arm than Howard. Fajardo's, 9000 plus yards passing and 3000 plus yards rushing has only been matched by Kaepernick in FBS history. That is quite a pedigree.

Hopefully, both will turnout to be successful Argo QB's in the future.

Wobbler
09-23-2017, 11:05 PM
Mason Woods was re-six gamed this week and Johnny Sears was placed on the six-game list. It looks like both guys could be done for the year.

ArgoGabe22
09-23-2017, 11:11 PM
Mason Woods was re-six gamed this week and Johnny Sears was placed on the six-game list. It looks like both guys could be done for the year.

Anyone know if Woods is like injured injured, or "injured"?

paulwoods13
09-23-2017, 11:37 PM
I'm willing to bet Woods is not really injured, just paying his dues as a rookie who's not yet ready to play. At least he's getting game cheques, unlike Sackey and (usually) Kolankowski.

Wobbler
10-03-2017, 12:34 PM
In addition to Khalil Bass, we signed QB Keith Wenning and LB Tau Lotulelei (https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/10/03/argos-add-three-practice-roster-including-veteran-lb-khalil-bass/).

And we released the two "prototypical CFL QBs" we signed two weeks ago. (I'd like to think that no one still believes that QBs who ran the ball a lot in college are ideal for the CFL, but that term never seems to go away...)

R.J
10-03-2017, 12:36 PM
In addition to Khalil Bass, we signed QB Keith Wenning and LB Tau Lotulelei (https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/10/03/argos-add-three-practice-roster-including-veteran-lb-khalil-bass/).

And we released the two "prototypical CFL QBs" we signed two weeks ago. (I'd like to think that no one still believes that QBs who ran the ball a lot in college are ideal for the CFL, but that term never seems to go away...)
Trestman, like Milanovich likes pocket QB's.

doubleblue
10-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Anyone know if Woods is like injured injured, or "injured"?

No he's really like injured. ;) I think it's the kind that heals quickly once the season is over. Should be ready for mini camp. However if too many O Linemen go down before then they may have to send him to another Doctor for a second opinion.

OV Argo
10-03-2017, 07:32 PM
No he's really like injured. ;) I think it's the kind that heals quickly once the season is over. Should be ready for mini camp. However if too many O Linemen go down before then they may have to send him to another Doctor for a second opinion.

I liked the Argos draft last spring at first, but now - not so much. Woods doing zero (at a spot of weakness on the team) and Foster next to nothing; Woodson & Onyeka have at least played some STs to contribute a bit.

5th round picks for other teams - D-linemen Justin Vaughn & Kwaku Boateng, have played plenty of reps on D and looked pretty good, IMO. Argos could have taken either of them.

Still early to judge a draft and of course thems NIs need time to "develop"; we shall see next season if any of those 4 Argo draft picks I mentioned play bigger roles; Brian Jones, Sackey and Jamal Campbell for that matter too.

paulwoods13
10-03-2017, 09:42 PM
Unless every player taken starts from Week 1, a draft is a bust.

AngeloV
10-03-2017, 10:00 PM

As I've mentioned before, with free agency now being the way it is, the draft is not nearly as important as it used to be.

Jon Gonzo
10-03-2017, 10:36 PM
We can judge this draft in 3 years. There are some picks that are off to great beginnings indeed. The CFL Canadian Draft is one of the most important parts of a franchises future and the GM's put a great deal of time and effort into it because of that. A team is only as good as it's Canadians. I have personally heard it uttered by CFL GM's and staff ad nauseam in the past....and this hasn't changed one bit in present day.

OV Argo
10-03-2017, 10:49 PM

Again - just who said that ?

Your rush to defend CFL GOB standard party line thinking or anything/everything the current Argo "braintrust" does, is amusing however.

doubleblue
10-03-2017, 11:38 PM
I liked the Argos draft last spring at first, but now - not so much. Woods doing zero (at a spot of weakness on the team) and Foster next to nothing; Woodson & Onyeka have at least played some STs to contribute a bit.

5th round picks for other teams - D-linemen Justin Vaughn & Kwaku Boateng, have played plenty of reps on D and looked pretty good, IMO. Argos could have taken either of them.

Still early to judge a draft and of course thems NIs need time to "develop"; we shall see next season if any of those 4 Argo draft picks I mentioned play bigger roles; Brian Jones, Sackey and Jamal Campbell for that matter too.

A lot of swings and misses the last couple of years by the Argos, but they still got a few goods ones who can be starters IMO. McEwen OC, Jamal Campbell OT, Llevi Noel WR and Robert Woodson at Safety. Brian Jones maybe a rotation guy. I have made it known several times that Barker could've and should've taken Lauzon-Seguin instead of Jones, but I've got to let that go, because what's done is done. Then you have FA's like Ralph and Williams who are getting some playing time. Late pick MLB Herdman to me is a better bet than Foote to see some playing time. Plays ST's now and got in the game last week made a tackle. Foote is more a MLB size at 5'10 225.

Woods... I don't know. He's got the size but does he have the heart. Wasn't it Boateng who's only 6'0 240 that just pancaked Woods at the combine. Maybe he's not strong enough in the upper body yet and that's something they have him working on. IMO he got show enough next year to at least get in the line up as one of the back ups.
But it does make one wonder how well some teams really scout the Canadian players in the CIS. Many of them turn out better than the NCAA Canadian players.

ArgoRavi
10-03-2017, 11:39 PM

Woodson played a decent amount on defence before his injury while Herdman has been playing on defence in recent weeks. Did you honestly expect Woods to start or play much this year? I sure didn't. Regarding Foster, the Argos simply happen to have a number of solid performers ahead of him on the depth chart.

OV Argo
10-03-2017, 11:54 PM
We can judge this draft in 3 years. There are some picks that are off to great beginnings indeed. The CFL Canadian Draft is one of the most important parts of a franchises future and the GM's put a great deal of time and effort into it because of that. A team is only as good as it's Canadians. I have personally heard it uttered by CFL GM's and staff ad nauseam in the past....and this hasn't changed one bit in present day.

Be interesting to see Popp's thinking for next year's draft.

A good number of O-linemen rated highly on the CFL Scouting Bureau - 4 NCAA Div I starters and a few CIS all-star types.

And the likes of Van Zeyl (older, injured some), Holmes (really struggled at times IMO) and the other guard spot (Deane/Watman) = hardly stellar starters going forward to me and upgrades might be required ? . McEwen is very good IMO and could be a stalwart for years. Not sure if the likes of Sackey, Campbell (last year's draft) & Woods (this year's) are that highly regarded? - they have not been given shots at playing time (even a one game trial) to see if they could be upgrades.

Popp went with an all-NI O-Line in Montreal and always seemed to draft a bunch of O-linemen. There is usually a good FA O-linemen or 2 to be had.

And with the likes of Coombs, Ralph, Noel, Jones or Williams (plus Charette added) maybe all available - is there any real need to add another receiver to the mix there?

Gaydosh, Finley, Laing, Foster at D-line; Herdman & Onyeka as young linebackers; Gabriel, Woodson, maybe Black still as depth NI DBs or possible safety starters. Cross seems very good as a capable H-back and could be solid there for years maybe.

We shall see how important the draft could be next season. Maybe not that much ?

Shatto
10-04-2017, 12:00 AM
Regarding the release of 2 QB's and signing one, in all likelihood the team is taking advantage of the extended PR roster to audition QB's who they may wish to bring back to next year's training camp. Along with Fajardo, Bethel-Thompson, Prukop and Matthews, another couple of QB's will probably be invited to next year's camp. A lot will depend upon Ray's plans for next year and any possible signing of any experienced CFL QB.

Jon Gonzo
10-04-2017, 08:37 AM
Regarding the release of 2 QB's and signing one, in all likelihood the team is taking advantage of the extended PR roster to audition QB's who they may wish to bring back to next year's training camp. Along with Fajardo, Bethel-Thompson, Prukop and Matthews, another couple of QB's will probably be invited to next year's camp. A lot will depend upon Ray's plans for next year and any possible signing of any experienced CFL QB.

Agreed. Auditions for Bradenton. Personally, I don't think we'll be seeing Matthews past this season and I believe we'll see the addition of a Starter. We could also see Ricky Ray re-sign with a performance based contract with the promise that he learns the ropes as an Assistant to the OC. Ricky wants to coach. But I think he wants to play some more too. Next year he'll be 38, and we saw Damon play to what, 41? RR can nibble away at the record books, learn how to coach and come in and change some games with his cerebral abilities.

Wobbler
10-10-2017, 01:52 PM
There was a bit of churn on the PR this week. Trey Williams was signed and Wooten + Epps dropped (https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/10/10/argos-sign-former-texas-running-back-trey-williams/).

Hopefully the departure of Wooten (who has played a fair bit in the CFL) means we're less worried about our secondary depth and that some of our guys will come off the IR soon.

Rich
10-10-2017, 04:13 PM
There was a bit of churn on the PR this week. Trey Williams was signed and Wooten + Epps dropped (https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/10/10/argos-sign-former-texas-running-back-trey-williams/).

Trey Williams' college QB for two seasons was none other than Johnny Manziel. Coincidence? Maybe.

Wobbler
10-11-2017, 01:03 AM
Also today:

TOR ADD FROM INJURED NAT Chris VAN ZEYL (OL) McMaster – Removed from 6-game injured list
TOR ADD FROM INJURED NAT Cameron WALKER (DL) Guelph – Removed from 6-game injured list
TOR ADD FROM INJURED INT Bear WOODS (LB) Troy – Removed from 6-game injured list

I don't think I've ever seen a team remove three guys from the six-game IR in one day, before now. This might be (yet) more evidence that said list shouldn't be taken too seriously.

AngeloV
10-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Also today:

TOR ADD FROM INJURED NAT Chris VAN ZEYL (OL) McMaster – Removed from 6-game injured list
TOR ADD FROM INJURED NAT Cameron WALKER (DL) Guelph – Removed from 6-game injured list
TOR ADD FROM INJURED INT Bear WOODS (LB) Troy – Removed from 6-game injured list

I don't think I've ever seen a team remove three guys from the six-game IR in one day, before now. This might be (yet) more evidence that said list shouldn't be taken too seriously.

The list is only there in case a player as a back up plan for cap relief reasons.

doubleblue
10-11-2017, 03:21 PM
The list is only there in case a player as a back up plan for cap relief reasons.

I remember reading that there was a limit as to how many players could be brought off the 6 game early. Can't find it now in the CFL.ca rules etc.

AngeloV
10-11-2017, 03:55 PM
I remember reading that there was a limit as to how many players could be brought off the 6 game early. Can't find it now in the CFL.ca rules etc.

That was when there was a 9 game injury list. I believe they were allowed to pull back 2 players in h half of the season. In essence, the 6 game was an increase to the salary cap, which allows teams to keep extra bodies. They should just increase the cap to 7 or 8M and have all injured players count against it. A lot more transparency that way.

R.J
10-11-2017, 10:38 PM
https://www.cfl.ca/2014/06/13/new-five-year-cba-ratified-by-cfl-and-cflpa/

Amends the rules and regulations to provide for a six-game injured list, eliminating the nine-game injured list. Clubs are allowed to pull a maximum of two players off the six-game injury list early and without it counting against the salary cap for any player who continues to be on that list for more than six games.

doubleblue
10-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Yah that's what I was looking for. But it says "for any player who continues to be on the list for more than six games". Van Zeyl was only on for 1 game. Saving salary cap hit maybe?

Wobbler
10-20-2017, 05:32 PM
We cut four guys today. Mostly short-term PR guys, but also our former KR specialist Chandler Worthy. It's hard to argue with the decision to commit to Martese Jackson, despite his fumbling issues.

Argo
10-20-2017, 06:30 PM
We cut four guys today. Mostly short-term PR guys, but also our former KR specialist Chandler Worthy. It's hard to argue with the decision to commit to Martese Jackson, despite his fumbling issues.

Worthy should catch on somewhere. IIRC (and it's been a while), he has ability and potential.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8