View Full Version : Cleyon Laing

Will
07-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Took 2 stupid penalties in the 4th quarter that were a contributing cause to the Argo loss. He played so well against HAM so it is frustrating that the old tendencies from his first stint reared its ugly head.

gilthethrill
07-01-2017, 01:43 PM
That Roughing the Passer call on the TD throw was weak.

paulwoods13
07-01-2017, 01:46 PM
I didn't see what he did to warrant penalties in either case, but he needs to play with more discipline. I was pleased to see he was benched after the second penalty.

Argo57
07-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Milanovich could never get a handle on Laing's lack of discipline but I suspect Marc Trestman won't tolerate selfish play that hurts the team.

1971GreyCup
07-01-2017, 02:37 PM
Took 2 stupid penalties in the 4th quarter that were a contributing cause to the Argo loss. He played so well against HAM so it is frustrating that the old tendencies from his first stint reared its ugly head.

We said the same thing last night. Always been his Achilles heal. I doubt Marc Trestman will show much patience on a habitual repeater.

argolio
07-01-2017, 05:00 PM
That is and will always be part of his game. I'm fine with it.

AngeloV
07-01-2017, 05:07 PM
That is and will always be part of his game. I'm fine with it.

Agreed. No different than Adriano Belli.

1971GreyCup
07-01-2017, 07:13 PM
Trestman won't be if it costs Argos games. Discipline is a hallmark of Marc.

AngeloV
07-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Trestman won't be if it costs Argos games. Discipline is a hallmark of Marc.

Except that his penalties didn't cost them the gam last night. The rough night the o-line had did.

OV Argo
07-02-2017, 10:04 AM
Laing has 2 fumble recoveries in 2 games and has had some pass rush - at least he's doing something on defence.

Argo57
07-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Laing has 2 fumble recoveries in 2 games and has had some pass rush - at least he's doing something on defence.

Overall he has played well, personally I don't mind a player with a nasty edge, something for the opposing QB to think about.
The issue is the frequency of these penalties.
I remember 2-3 years ago Travis Lulay (if memory serves me correct) picking apart the Argonauts D during a game, Brandon Isaac absolutely ran over him after one play and was flagged for roughing the passer, Lulay wasn't the same after that hit which to me turned out to be a good penalty.
Football is a game of intimidation after all.

ArgoRavi
07-02-2017, 10:52 PM
Agreed. No different than Adriano Belli.

Very similar in style. There was no more fitting end to Belli's career than to be ejected from his final game as a pro - the 2012 Grey Cup.

Jon Gonzo
07-04-2017, 11:14 AM
Usually the best teams are the nastiest and also take the least amount of penalties..

Penalties stall drives and ultimately force a slow death on you as you are losing the battle of field position.

If it becomes a chronic issue, it indicates 1) lack of discipline 2) lack of skill and athleticism as lesser players are forced to cheat.

This was one of Milanovich's failures. He didn't get through to his flamboyant teams regarding penalties.

I think Cleyon Laing is an all-star caliber player, so it's not #2, and I think we'll all have the great joy in watching him conform to a superior Coach and that coaches philosophies.

He'll have to.

doubleblue
07-04-2017, 12:30 PM
The penalties that bother me the most are on the kick returns. The rules for blocking are from the 40's or some long ago era, except the blocking above the waist rule. Back when I played a good cross body block was legal from the front and effective if clean. Going for a players knees though made the rule change to above the waist. Clipping was very dangerous especially across the back of the legs and could be career ending. Now clipping is a little push on the back or side of the shoulder. Very easy for a tackler to turn his body so he is pushed from the back. Referees see things in black and white. Always has bothered me that a little push away from the play will be called but a hard, leading with the helmet, tackle that can end a career is called a good hard hit. And the league is trying to cut down on concussions. I know there is a rule now about helmet to helmet hits, but IMO there should be game ejections for that and what Referees considered an attempt to injure to the knees as well.
But back to the kick returns one of the most exciting plays (for the fans) is a long kick return. Very few are not called back now which I'm sure everyone is well aware of. Don't know how the League can remedy that. Instruct the officials to only call blatant fouls or return to no blocking on Punts. Some will say more Coaching on blocking. I do notice many of the return penalties are against young Canadians whether that's because their lack of Coaching or just the fact most of the special teams are made up of the Canadian back ups. But it is a big turn off for many fans IMO, and the League is struggling with lower attendance in just about everywhere but Regina and I guess Ottawa (for now).

Wobbler
07-09-2017, 12:15 PM
We took a lot of penalties in the first quarter yesterday, but Laing played a clean game. He was too busy batting down balls to draw flags, apparently.

AngeloV
07-09-2017, 12:21 PM
We took a lot of penalties in the first quarter yesterday, but Laing played a clean game. He was too busy batting down balls to draw flags, apparently.

Much like a lot of other things, this was blown way out of proportion.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8