View Full Version : Incapable officiating proves player safety not a CFL priority

Neely2005
07-14-2017, 05:51 PM
http://3downnation.com/2017/07/14/incapable-officiating-proves-player-safety-not-cfl-priority/

matthew
07-14-2017, 07:53 PM
Shouldn't this be in league room?

ArgoGabe22
07-14-2017, 08:15 PM
Shouldn't this be in league room?

Relates to last nights game.

Wobbler
07-14-2017, 08:33 PM
http://3downnation.com/2017/07/14/incapable-officiating-proves-player-safety-not-cfl-priority/
A link & run is not a great way to start a thread. I think Madani makes some good points, but you should at least explain why you posted the link

Argo57
07-14-2017, 08:40 PM
Damn Argos once again getting preferential treatment from the CFL scheduling department.
Clueless asshole!!

paulwoods13
07-14-2017, 08:55 PM
Damn Argos once again getting preferential treatment from the CFL scheduling department.
Clueless asshole!!

Yeah, what the league did to the Redblacks with the schedule is simply unconscionable and unprecedented.

Neely2005
07-15-2017, 11:45 AM
A link & run is not a great way to start a thread. I think Madani makes some good points, but you should at least explain why you posted the link

I posted it because it was a good article and I thought that other Argonauts fans would appreciate it too.
:-)

Neely2005
07-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Yeah, what the league did to the Redblacks with the schedule is simply unconscionable and unprecedented.

Lol, my thoughts exactly when I was reading the article!

matthew
07-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Tenuous but I will accept that answer lol

ArgoRavi
07-15-2017, 11:58 PM

Arash has issues with the league as a whole but he especially hates the Argos and does have a soft spot for Ottawa.

Neely2005
07-16-2017, 03:24 PM
Arash has issues with the league as a whole but he especially hates the Argos and does have a soft spot for Ottawa.

Didn't he use to work for the Renegades and/or Rough Riders?

ArgoRavi
07-16-2017, 06:24 PM
Didn't he use to work for the Renegades and/or Rough Riders?

He worked for the Renegades and Blue Bombers.

Argo57
07-16-2017, 06:59 PM
He worked for the Renegades and Blue Bombers.

Lucky for them??

AngeloV
07-16-2017, 09:42 PM

Lost in the RedBlacks current stretch is the fact that the Argos once again have a 3 in 11 days stretch starting with the next game against Ottawa next Monday. 5 days later in Saskatchewan (Saturday) and again 5 days later against the Stamps (the following Thursday). Interesting how this only seems to happen to Eastern teams, and seemingly annually to the Argos. The good thing is that after that stretch they have no more short weeks with all but 1 game on Saturdays.

doubleblue
07-16-2017, 09:55 PM
This thread mentioned about player safety at the start, although not much more has added since. I know I am concerned at the future of Football because of the concussion issues and other severe injuries, and the effect it will have on the younger generation not being allowed to play the game. The League has tried some what with calling (sometimes) head shots etc. But I feel they should go a step further and put in a rule for an ejection not just 15 yard penalty for attempt to injure on unnecessary hard hits not only on the QB but other players especially in blind side hits. QB's are very vulnerable to serious injury during the throwing motion and defensive players are allowed to just unload on them as hard as possible. That's called just a good football play. But we all know it is an attempt to injure and take a star player out of the game. Same thing on a receiver that is vulnerable going up for a catch. It's time IMO to start cutting down on these kind of "attempts to injure" for the sake of the game going forward. I know I hate to see this rule given to officials that leaves it to their discretion, as common sense and some football officials doesn't always line up. But something should be done because a 15 yard penalty for unnecessary roughness doesn't have any affect on player safety, and we all know it. So IMO it is time the owners started changing the rules to protect the players that we fans pay to see. The game originated from rugby and there is no reason a rugby tackle can't be used in most cases. But until we see disqualifications for blatant attempts to injury nothing is going to change except turning off more people from the game.

ArgoRavi
07-17-2017, 01:16 AM
This thread mentioned about player safety at the start, although not much more has added since. I know I am concerned at the future of Football because of the concussion issues and other severe injuries, and the effect it will have on the younger generation not being allowed to play the game. The League has tried some what with calling (sometimes) head shots etc. But I feel they should go a step further and put in a rule for an ejection not just 15 yard penalty for attempt to injure on unnecessary hard hits not only on the QB but other players especially in blind side hits. QB's are very vulnerable to serious injury during the throwing motion and defensive players are allowed to just unload on them as hard as possible. That's called just a good football play. But we all know it is an attempt to injure and take a star player out of the game. Same thing on a receiver that is vulnerable going up for a catch. It's time IMO to start cutting down on these kind of "attempts to injure" for the sake of the game going forward. I know I hate to see this rule given to officials that leaves it to their discretion, as common sense and some football officials doesn't always line up. But something should be done because a 15 yard penalty for unnecessary roughness doesn't have any affect on player safety, and we all know it. So IMO it is time the owners started changing the rules to protect the players that we fans pay to see. The game originated from rugby and there is no reason a rugby tackle can't be used in most cases. But until we see disqualifications for blatant attempts to injury nothing is going to change except turning off more people from the game.

Winnipeg's Poop Johnson should be suspended for a game for what he did to Ricky Ray near the end of the game last Thursday. That would send a powerful message.

gilthethrill
07-17-2017, 04:39 AM
Winnipeg's Poop Johnson should be suspended for a game for what he did to Ricky Ray near the end of the game last Thursday. That would send a powerful message.

Ambrosie will come out with a statement "It could have gone either way".

mchesher03
07-17-2017, 09:06 AM
We all know nothing will come out of this unfortunately. Lucky it wasn’t kevin glenn in rider green, they’d be in an uproar. Since it’s ricky ray and the argos it will just disappear, very unfortunate. Dirty dirty play.

Argo
07-17-2017, 10:55 AM
cf. CFL thread "CFL Officiating Is Ruining The Game"

The problem is chronic and the term ruining may lack sufficient emphasis.

Antwon
07-17-2017, 12:46 PM
Ambrosie will come out with a statement "It could have gone either way".

Hopefully Ambrosie will push for a suspension to send a message....New sheriff in town, cut the cheap shots!!!!!
The hit makes me furious when I think back to last year and Foley's hit on Nichols that got called!!

1971GreyCup
07-17-2017, 05:37 PM
I'm still reeling over that "X-Ray" McQuay fumble in the 1971 Grey Cup! Clearly his knee touched the ground before the ball was knocked loose. Why on earth Leo didn't challenge, I'll never know. Sheesh

Neely2005
07-17-2017, 06:01 PM

And the hits just keep on coming:

Jack Todd: Let's blow whistle on CFL — refs are not stars of the game

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/jack-todd-lets-blow-whistle-on-cfl-refs-are-not-stars-of-the-game

Argo
07-17-2017, 09:11 PM

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/jack-todd-lets-blow-whistle-on-cfl-refs-are-not-stars-of-the-game

I've been a CFL fan for many years though I find myself steadily losing interest in the league due to the miserable and intrusive officiating. The modern era features a time-consuming multi-layered process still capable of producing magical results. Every purported jaywalk is flagged while half the attempted murders still escape prosecution.

The $1,000,000 kickoff fiasco is the capper, with the CFL and its brand new commissioner - instead of doing the right thing (while helping own cause) - deftly modelling those circa 1960s Canadian game shows that featured the ironing board or the toaster as grand prize.

doubleblue
07-18-2017, 08:52 AM
I've been a CFL fan for many years though I find myself steadily losing interest in the league due to the miserable and intrusive officiating. The modern era features a time-consuming multi-layered process still capable of producing magical results. Every purported jaywalk is flagged while half the attempted murders still escape prosecution.

The $1,000,000 kickoff fiasco is the capper, with the CFL and its brand new commissioner - instead of doing the right thing (while helping own cause) - deftly modelling those circa 1960s Canadian game shows that featured the ironing board or the toaster as grand prize.

I know the feeling. Two years ago was even worse when Glen Johnston took over. The story I heard was he got tired of Teams sending in video of missed calls and instructed officials to call everything. Then his famous remark of "get used to it" for defense of all the penalties. Should have been fired for that attitude alone. The Game is bigger than the officials.
I used to watch every game and could probably write down the starting lineups of every team. But I found myself tuning out non Argo games after a quarter because of frustration over every kick return being called back or other border line calls like the one in Winnipeg. I don't know how Ambrose can fix it, but the CFL has become a frustrating game at times to watch. The problem is many fans don't say anything, they just walk away and find something else to do with their time and money.

Neely2005
07-18-2017, 08:55 AM

Two things drive me crazy about CFL officiating:

1. The lack of consistency. A penalty will be called on one team and then the other team will do the same thing and it's not a penalty.

2. How long video review takes and a large percentage of the time they still blow the call.

mchesher03
07-18-2017, 09:07 AM
just start taking my approach to vide reviews - whatever you think the call should be, it will more often than not be the polar opposite. Helps to prep ahead of time so you’re not as surprised heh

ArgoRavi
07-18-2017, 02:19 PM
I have been following this league since the mid-1970s and have to say that the officiating, for all of its warts, is far superior today than it has ever been. I would recommend watching some games from the 1970s and 1980s on YouTube to see how bad the officiating really was back in the day. I agree that there is still a fair bit to fix but I also believe that the officiating has improved considerably over the past decade or so.

doubleblue
07-18-2017, 07:15 PM
I have been following this league since the mid-1970s and have to say that the officiating, for all of its warts, is far superior today than it has ever been. I would recommend watching some games from the 1970s and 1980s on YouTube to see how bad the officiating really was back in the day. I agree that there is still a fair bit to fix but I also believe that the officiating has improved considerably over the past decade or so.

Well I was around since the 70's and before and the only difference I can see in the officiating is that they call a lot more penalties. Doesn't make the game any more watchable. But then I never watch the game to watch the officials.

Argo57
07-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Two things drive me crazy about CFL officiating:

1. The lack of consistency. A penalty will be called on one team and then the other team will do the same thing and it's not a penalty.

2. How long video review takes and a large percentage of the time they still blow the call.

Agree with both points.
#2 is the most mind boggling aspect of the whole deal, you can understand missing "some" calls during the heat of battle but when he booth officials watch botch obvious replay calls their competence rightfully comes into question.

argolio
07-18-2017, 11:47 PM
I'm still reeling over that "X-Ray" McQuay fumble in the 1971 Grey Cup! Clearly his knee touched the ground before the ball was knocked loose. Why on earth Leo didn't challenge, I'll never know. SheeshLeo would have lost that challenge. McQuay fell without being touched by an opposing player, which makes that a fumble no matter when his knee touched the ground.

Neely2005
07-29-2017, 08:44 AM

And another:

CFL fans (justifiably) flip out over yet another replay controversy:

http://3downnation.com/2017/07/29/cfl-fans-justifiably-flip-another-replay-controversy/

doubleblue
07-29-2017, 05:51 PM
And another:

CFL fans (justifiably) flip out over yet another replay controversy:

http://3downnation.com/2017/07/29/cfl-fans-justifiably-flip-another-replay-controversy/

The eye in the sky was suppose to fix everything. I guess things look different from a way up there. lol

gilthethrill
07-29-2017, 06:20 PM
The eye in the sky was suppose to fix everything. I guess things look different from a way up there. lol

My guess is the Eye in the Sky is too high up.....it can't see what is happening on the field.

Neely2005
07-29-2017, 08:04 PM
My guess is the Eye in the Sky is too high up.....it can't see what is happening on the field.

Or they're just high period.

Neely2005
07-29-2017, 11:24 PM
CFL commissioner says he’s open to changing replay mid-season:

http://3downnation.com/2017/07/29/cfl-commissioner-says-hes-open-changing-replay-mid-season/

7dj83r8f78t4alf8