PDA

View Full Version : GAME THREAD - Week 5: REDBLACKS @ Argos

ArgoGabe22
07-18-2017, 11:13 PM
Monday, July 24, 7:30 PM
BMO Field, Toronto

Wobbler
07-19-2017, 05:21 PM
https://s14.postimg.org/isxien42l/redblacks.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/isxien42l/) @ https://s1.postimg.org/v5popl18b/argonauts.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/v5popl18b/)

We really should win this (important) game.

After a long layoff we'll be well rested, we'll probably have a few guys back from injury, and the staff will have had plenty of time to look at film and make some changes.

ArgoGabe22
07-19-2017, 09:21 PM
Lot's of complaining about Ottawa's schedule but....

Redblacks play 7 games in 42 days, with 2 of the 7 games with only 4 days of rest. Argos play 7 games in 39 days, with 3 of the 7 games only with 4 days of rest.

AngeloV
07-20-2017, 07:33 AM
Uproar over the fact that someone else got an Argo like schedule. Waaaa!

mchesher03
07-20-2017, 08:17 AM
Oh the Ottawa complaining about the schedule is just amazing, it’s like this is the first year this grievance has ever happened.

That aside, I think the Argos need to strike quick out of the gates, put a less-rested team on their heels early. Then keep coming after them, lots of defensive pressure like the Argos have done so far this year and long drives to keep that redblack defence on the field for long stretches throughout the game.

I know I’m an eternal optimist and wilder fan, but a guy like that could be huge in a game like this – argos get up and just start going after them forcing the run on them with a big back like Wilder. I envisage it happening like we can all (unfortunately) remember Mike Pringle doing time and time again to the Argos once upon a time. Routinely picking up 7, 8, 9 yards on first down – devastating for a defence.

mchesher03
07-20-2017, 08:18 AM
Lot's of complaining about Ottawa's schedule but....

Redblacks play 7 games in 42 days, with 2 of the 7 games with only 4 days of rest. Argos play 7 games in 39 days, with 3 of the 7 games only with 4 days of rest.

Gabe no one wants to be confused with facts! lol

Neely2005
07-20-2017, 10:42 AM
I read on one of the Facebook CFL Groups that they're expecting around 20,000 for this game.

Jayahre
07-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Gabe no one wants to be confused with facts! lol

Yes, Ottawa played last night and will play again Monday night, 4 days between games.
But look at the Labour Day week - The Ticats, Stamps and Esks ALL play on Monday and again on Saturday - 4 days between games.

paulwoods13
07-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Yes, Ottawa played last night and will play again Monday night, 4 days between games.
But look at the Labour Day week - The Ticats, Stamps and Esks ALL play on Monday and again on Saturday - 4 days between games.

This has been happening for years, ever since the league stopped having two games played at the same time so that every game could be televised. Contrary to some RB fans outrage, it is neither new nor unique to the RBs.

gilthethrill
07-20-2017, 12:18 PM
Despite Ottawa having a tough stretch, I feel they will be a handful on Monday night. Marc Trestman has never lost to Ottawa in his career.

AngeloV
07-20-2017, 12:48 PM

Of those 3 teams only the Cats get screwed from a competitive point of view. Stamps and Esks play each other in both games. Come to think of it, I think only East teams get screwed this way.

AngeloV
07-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Despite Ottawa having a tough stretch, I feel they will be a handful on Monday night. Marc Trestman has never lost to Ottawa in his career.

😂😂😂

Prior to this season, he had never met them.

gilthethrill
07-20-2017, 01:39 PM


Prior to this season, he had never met them.

Rod Black drove me nuts reminding viewers of that when the Argos visited the Nations Capital.

jojoheath
07-20-2017, 02:31 PM
That would be great, but I will believe it when I see it.

Neely2005
07-20-2017, 02:40 PM
Uproar over the fact that someone else got an Argo like schedule. Waaaa!

When it's Not the Argonauts:

http://3downnation.com/2017/07/20/commish-randy-ambrosie-redblacks-schedule-many-games-nights/

1971GreyCup
07-20-2017, 06:56 PM
For the big reunion game on Monday, any thought of extended radio coverage? With so many stars coming back, what a wonderful opportunity to showcase this team and interview the stars from the past? If not, this will be limited to an in-stadium experience.

Will
07-21-2017, 10:44 AM
For the big reunion game on Monday, any thought of extended radio coverage? With so many stars coming back, what a wonderful opportunity to showcase this team and interview the stars from the past? If not, this will be limited to an in-stadium experience.

The alumni are making a lot of media appearances this week.

Will
07-21-2017, 10:45 AM
I will be quite disappointed if the Argonauts do not win this game especially with Ottawa being on a short week.

gilthethrill
07-21-2017, 11:29 AM
I will be quite disappointed if the Argonauts do not win this game especially with Ottawa being on a short week.

I don't think Ottawa got particularly banged up against Montreal. I am quite leary that they will be on a high while at the same time every the extended rest the Argos had may result in a flat performance. Looking forward to being in the stands that night.

Jayahre
07-21-2017, 12:23 PM
I don't think Ottawa got particularly banged up against Montreal. I am quite leary that they will be on a high while at the same time every the extended rest the Argos had may result in a flat performance. Looking forward to being in the stands that night.

I agree, after that win against the Als they will have confidence. A win for them and they are back in first place.

Stevoman
07-21-2017, 06:24 PM
Argos should win this one considering how much time they have had to prepare! Looking forward to the reunion aspect and hope they show/interview some former players during the TSN feed. Wearing the Jason logo shirt on Monday over here on the Westcoast.

DanTheFan
07-21-2017, 08:09 PM
My brother and I just got tickets. I hope they have enough bobbleheads, and that the skies are clear.

paulwoods13
07-21-2017, 10:23 PM
My brother and I just got tickets. I hope they have enough bobbleheads, and that the skies are clear.

I hope they DON'T have enough bobbleheads because that will mean a crowd larger than 10k.

gilthethrill
07-21-2017, 10:29 PM
Argos should win this one considering how much time they have had to prepare! Looking forward to the reunion aspect and hope they show/interview some former players during the TSN feed. Wearing the Jason logo shirt on Monday over here on the Westcoast.

I have my Masotti jersey already to go.

Wobbler
07-23-2017, 11:17 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Download the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> depth chart for Monday night's game vs. <a href="https://twitter.com/REDBLACKS">@REDBLACKS</a>.<br><br> » <a href="https://t.co/AZi6bilKdP">https://t.co/AZi6bilKdP</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFLGameDay?src=hash">#CFLGameDay</a> <a href="https://t.co/1gFZQ3ks7J">pic.twitter.com/1gFZQ3ks7J</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/889138883664990209">July 23, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not too many changes, but Wilder is our starting RB (no Whitaker), Fuller is back at field WR and Malcolm Williams is replacing Paden at boundary WR. Dang, he rose up the depth chart quickly.

paulwoods13
07-23-2017, 11:33 AM
Based on that depth chart, it seems likely we will dress two INT o-linemen for the first time this season, with Prukop being the INT who doesn't dress and probably Foster the NAT who doesn't dress. Foster is listed on the chart but is also showing on the PR so something is out of whack.

Interesting that both Graves and Tuck are sitting, a week after Jackson piled up 300-plus yards on kick returns. Jones and Williams both draw in for the first time this season. I wonder if someone put a claim in on Williams.

doubleblue
07-23-2017, 11:38 AM
<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="889138883664990209"></twitterwidget>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not too many changes, but Wilder is our starting RB (no Whitaker), Fuller is back at field WR and Malcolm Williams is replacing Paden at boundary WR. Dang, he rose up the depth chart quickly.

I thought Williams played very well the second pre-season game. Also see Brian Jones and import RB McDaniel look to be in the line up. The two sitting will probably be QB Prukop and a Canadian. Foster or Walker? That means that Will Campbell is also in the line up? Maybe the plan is to eventually go with two Import Linemen up front if Ricky keeps getting hammered.

Wobbler
07-23-2017, 12:28 PM
I hope Foster dresses. We obviously think he's good for something, since we drafted him ahead of Woodson and Onyeka.

I'm still surprised that Williams went from the PR to starting boundary WR. Either he had an amazing week in practice or Fuller really works better at the field spot. Probably both.

gilthethrill
07-23-2017, 01:03 PM
I am thrilled to see big Malcolm Williams in the lineup. After a year plus on the PR, the kid has put in his time.

AngeloV
07-23-2017, 01:30 PM
Looks like 8 Nationals in the starting line-up. Glad to see Fuller back, and agree with gilthethrill on Malcolm Williams. I like to see another big wideout that can likely win more 50/50 balls than he loses.

OV Argo
07-23-2017, 01:44 PM
Those posted depth charts are often not totally what we see come game time.

Finley was listed as a back-up DT last game but played quite a few more reps than Wynn who was listed as the starter.

Williams to play short-side WR and Fuller wide-side? - i will believe this after i see it happening for most of the game. Be interesting to see Williams in action though - will he play full-time reps at receiver or will there be some platooning with the likes of Ralph & Noel, and will Ricky Ray show any trust in him with some passes his way ?

3 back-up O-linemen dressed ? - you don't see that much in the CFL.

dmont
07-23-2017, 08:49 PM

Five of our eight receivers are Canadian. How 'bout that!

Pulling for Malcolm Williams. Really liked Coombs' game last week. Hoping these receivers can hold onto a #%@&#% ball in the endzone.

Scooter McCray
07-24-2017, 09:37 AM
You know how TFC fans spend so much time chanting and singing. Maybe Argo fans can sing too. Here is a video featuring none other than John Candy. The second song "Reds" is a keeper...
https://youtu.be/wktEs_SMiUw

Antwon
07-24-2017, 10:52 AM
I really like Wilder starting. Ottawa is on a short week and he could wear them down.
Hopefully they commit to the run a bit more. And Wilder doesn't miss any blocks or drop the ball.

Will
07-24-2017, 11:02 AM
I realize that the backups might not be optimal, but I'm somewhat frustrated that the Argos do not appear to be trying to something new in terms of personnel on the OL.

jerrym
07-24-2017, 07:31 PM
Seeing Doug Flutie in the pregame show brought back a lot of my best memories of the Argos.

dmont
07-24-2017, 07:41 PM

Audio sounds like crap on ESPN2. Any problems for those watching on tsn?

jerrym
07-24-2017, 07:44 PM
With the Redblacks playing on five days rest and three games in eleven days, the Argos should have the edge as the game wears on.

jerrym
07-24-2017, 07:59 PM
National Malcolm Williams has already had a couple of nice catches in his first game as a receiver - signs that he could be a valuable addition to the team.

jerrym
07-24-2017, 08:20 PM
Declan Cross scores his first TD, giving the Argos a 10-0 lead. Good to see Nationals Williams, Cross, Coombs and Hajrullahu all making significant contributions to the offence early in the game.

jerrym
07-24-2017, 08:37 PM
Declan Cross scores his first TD giving the Argos a 10-0 lead. Good to see Nationals Williams, Cross, Coombs and Hajrullahu all making significant contributions to the offence early in the game.

jerrym
07-24-2017, 08:38 PM
Great work by Laing getting a knockdown and sack to stop Ottawa inside the ten!

jerrym
07-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Injuries to Bear Woods and Victor Butler could be costly to the Argo defence if they are long term. Their absence is already apparent in the RedBlacks drive for a TD.

Argo57
07-24-2017, 09:03 PM
Hopefully the replacements can do the job!

jerrym
07-24-2017, 09:05 PM
Now Cleyon Laing looks like he is gone as he leaves the field on a cart.

argotom
07-24-2017, 09:11 PM
The loss of Laing, Woods and Butler is right now the key heading into the second half.

Argo57
07-24-2017, 09:29 PM
Wilder needs to stick to more north south running instead of trying to be too cute with the moves.

Wobbler
07-24-2017, 09:30 PM
We sat Mathews and Jones today, so Prukop dressed (again).

But, uh... the game stats show that he had a special teams tackle in the first quarter. That can't be right, can it?

Argo57
07-24-2017, 09:52 PM
Fuller has to start making those catches!!

Stevoman
07-24-2017, 09:53 PM
Fuller has to start making some of those big catches...I know that they are tough ones but he's had 2 hands on both of them!

dmont
07-24-2017, 09:54 PM

Fuller sucks. I'm now anti-Fuller.

Argo57
07-24-2017, 09:58 PM
That's more like it Wilder!!!!!

Wobbler
07-24-2017, 10:00 PM
It looks like Wilder is (finally) starting to show some power. Well, either that or Ottawa is running out of gas...

We'll see.

jerrym
07-24-2017, 10:00 PM
The worn-down Redblacks finally show the effects of three games in eleven days as the Argos run the ball downfield with Wilder before passing for a TD by Coombs!

Wobbler
07-24-2017, 10:17 PM
That... was not a good third-and-a-foot effort. Yikes.

jerrym
07-24-2017, 10:21 PM
I didn't like going for the first down on our 30. I preferred making them go most of the length of the field.

jerrym
07-24-2017, 10:27 PM
Masterly drive by Ray to win the game on the last play!

ArgoZ
07-24-2017, 10:32 PM
Ray 40-55 with lots of drops, amazing.

Argo57
07-24-2017, 10:35 PM
Wilder got some crucial yards but he still doesn't take advantage of his strength and speed, tends to turn his back a lot when being tackled.
Having said that great to beat Ottawa!!!!!

argotom
07-24-2017, 10:44 PM
Exciting win tonight.
Key being the defensive replacements for the 3 injuries to Laing, Butler and Woods.
Plus Ray with another stellar effort and with 7 receivers having at least 3 catches, that's unheard of.

jerrym
07-24-2017, 10:46 PM
National Malcolm Williams looked did a good job catching 4 passes for 39 yards while looking quite comfortable on the field in his first game as a WR.

OV Argo
07-24-2017, 10:46 PM
A win is a win, and good to survive all those injuries on defence - Tuggle looked pretty good.

Not much downfield passing, but Coombs and Edwards are looking good and Malcolm Williams was solid; not so much Fuller; Wilder looks good at times but overall seems a bit tentative and not powerful enough for such a big back.

Continued iffy calls by CFL refs? - that PI call on Gavins was pretty questionable and really helped the Argos. Argos got away with one on that punt fumble - why do CFL coaches not instruct young return guys? - should have put some vet back who understands the game better and told him let the ball go into the endzone.

Ottawa played tough and could have stole a win there.

Again - anybody can beat anybody in this year's CFL IMO; nothing close to a powerhouse team.

argotom
07-24-2017, 10:49 PM
A season-high BMO Field gathering of 15,801, although a pathetic number it's increasing.

argotom
07-24-2017, 10:52 PM
A win is a win, and good to survive all those injuries on defence - Tuggle looked pretty good.

Not much downfield passing, but Coombs and Edwards are looking good and Malcolm Williams was solid; not so much Fuller; Wilder looks good at times but overall seems a bit tentative and not powerful enough for such a big back.

Continued iffy calls by CFL refs? - that PI call on Gavins was pretty questionable and really helped the Argos. Argos got away with one on that punt fumble - why do CFL coaches not instruct young return guys? - should have put some vet back who understands the game better and told him let the ball go into the endzone.

Ottawa played tough and could have stole a win there.

Again - anybody can beat anybody in this year's CFL IMO; nothing close to a powerhouse team.

Agree on that call on Gavins, brutal and still after the review.

Argo57
07-24-2017, 10:58 PM
A season-high BMO Field gathering of 15,801, although a pathetic number it's increasing.

You have to start somewhere, hopefully word spreads that this team plays hard and is pretty entertaining.

Wobbler
07-24-2017, 11:00 PM
Good summary, OV.

- We CONTINUE to take too many penalties (more than our opponent, as always)
- The O-Line was pretty good, but ugh, that third-and-short play late in the game... that can't happen.
- Bear Woods has been pretty average, IMO, and it was great to see Tuggle do well when called upon.
- The TSN guys really like "the Wilder Jr. narrative" despite his mediocre performance to date, and I've found that annoying. But... he does seem to be improving.

Argo57
07-24-2017, 11:00 PM
Agree on that call on Gavins, brutal and still after the review.

I thought it warranted an ejection from the game!!😛

Argo57
07-24-2017, 11:04 PM
Good summary, OV.

- We CONTINUE to take too many penalties (more than our opponent, as always)
- The O-Line was pretty good, but ugh, that third-and-short play late in the game... that can't happen.
- Bear Woods has been pretty average, IMO, and it was great to see Tuggle do well when called upon.
- The TSN guys really like "the Wilder Jr. narrative" despite his mediocre performance to date, and I've found that annoying. But... he does seem to be improving.

Argos have been excellent at third and short all season, that attempt was rough though.
Not sure about Wilder, should be a bruising type back but has been mediocre at best.
I think Woods has been pretty solid so far this season.

paulwoods13
07-24-2017, 11:45 PM
We sat Mathews and Jones today, so Prukop dressed (again).

But, uh... the game stats show that he had a special teams tackle in the first quarter. That can't be right, can it?

Not a mistake. He's on punt cover, just as Fajardo was last year.

Wobbler
07-25-2017, 12:00 AM
Not a mistake. He's on punt cover, just as Fajardo was last year.
Thanks, Paul.

In the near future, crowd PBP will mention these things.

Topshelf
07-25-2017, 12:03 AM
Crowd felt way bigger than 15000.
Why not kick the single for the win at the end? Is there something I'm missing? Are we not allowed to just send the punter put to send it to the food building rather than risk a fumble or block ?

ArgoGabe22
07-25-2017, 12:34 AM
Wilder was a disappointment, until the final drive. And I think that's why McDaniel got some reps in. Wilder should be so much better than he shows.

I felt the line improved, and even though they were mostly incomplete, Ray really went deep a few times. More than the "washed up" under Milanovich.

Woods might be back, Butler might be better than first thought but Laing's didn't look good. Looks like his knee - ACL, MCL, who knows.

Not fair to assess Ralph after one game with like one pass going his way all game, but did Williams ever look good and quite possibly just beat out Ralph as the "next man up".

ArgoRavi
07-25-2017, 03:13 AM
Crowd felt way bigger than 15000.
Why not kick the single for the win at the end? Is there something I'm missing? Are we not allowed to just send the punter put to send it to the food building rather than risk a fumble or block ?

They would have been punting into the wind and there is no guarantee whatsoever that the ball would have made it out of the endzone. The FG attempt was absolutely the correct call. I still have nightmares of the Argos trying unsuccessfully to punt for the win against Hamilton in the 1984 East Final.

ArgoRavi
07-25-2017, 03:15 AM
I didn't like going for the first down on our 30. I preferred making them go most of the length of the field.

You have to be able to make 3rd and inches anywhere on the field. That was simply poor execution by the offence but the call to go for it was the correct one IMO.

Will
07-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Credit the Argos for working through 3 significant injuries to the defence and coming out with a W. I think the defence deserves a ton of credit last night. They held Trevor Harris to under 200 passing yards and by extension did not allow Sinopoli, Spencer or Ellingson to hurt them in any significant way. Butler's injury may not be as serious as initially feared and Laing's might be, but Alan-Michael Cash is set to return shortly which means that the impact will be more ratio related rather than on-field talent related. Rico Murray continues his strong play at the corner.

Offensively, the Argos still have some of the same problems that have plagued them all season. Costly penalties and inability to finish drives, but that's something that can still be worked on. The OL did play considerably better this week albeit against a tired Ottawa team.

ArgoZ
07-25-2017, 10:00 AM
You have to be able to make 3rd and inches anywhere on the field. That was simply poor execution by the offence but the call to go for it was the correct one IMO. Easy to second guess after the decision fails. I agree with the call. They run that 100 times and probably convert 95 of them, gotta go with those odds. There up 7 anyway and convert that and the games almost won. With a yard off the ball, it takes a total mess up, (like running straight into the centre) to not convert. I can't say I would disagree with any of Trestman's calls. He would look even better if the recievers didn't drop so many deep balls.

ArgoZ
07-25-2017, 10:04 AM
They would have been punting into the wind and there is no guarantee whatsoever that the ball would have made it out of the endzone. The FG attempt was absolutely the correct call. I still have nightmares of the Argos trying unsuccessfully to punt for the win against Hamilton in the 1984 East Final.

Interesting scenario, especially if they were closer. Is a punt that much of a safer play? Longer and bad snaps, shanked kicks and blocked punts are all possibilities. Drilling the ball wide and away from the blockers from a field goal would be the safest play IMO. I'd like to be a little closer though.

gilthethrill
07-25-2017, 10:15 AM
So nice to win the season series against a division rival. Great atmosphere last night, great to meet members from the Grey Cup Dynasty...well done Argo organization.

Neely2005
07-25-2017, 10:20 AM
You have to start somewhere, hopefully word spreads that this team plays hard and is pretty entertaining.

The next game is on a Thursday night and no Flutie / Bobbleheads so that might be the toughest sell of the season.

paulwoods13
07-25-2017, 10:23 AM
My take:

Great performance by the defence to overcome the loss of three of their top five players for the second half. Held Ott to less than 200 yards passing, and had many two-and-outs -- one of the best defensive performances we've seen from this team in some time.

Kudos to the training staff for taking Woods' helmet away. It was kind of comical to watch him opening bags looking for the helmet, but the best thing to do for him was keep him off the field. Thankfully this is not the good old days of guys getting "their bell rung" and going back in without a care.

The subs on defence looked very solid, especially Finley and Davis -- the d-line applied a lot of pressure even without Butler and Laing. Tuggle also did fine at MLB, and we still have Plummer to dress if Woods can't go.

Watching Butler on the sideline right after his injury was depressing. He had his head down as if feeling his great comeback was over. Guys were coming over constantly to cheer him up. Later, he seemed to be able to walk without crutches so let's hope the "pop" he heard was not too serious. That said, I've been worried since week 1 about d-line depth and it will really be tested now. Getting Waud and Cash back (hopefully) will help replace Laing, but we need at least one more defensive end to back up Lemon and Davis.

Great game, again, by Coombs. He is really coming into his own as a reliable receiver and YAC guy.

Our receivers dropped at least five catchable passes. Ricky likely would have been over 400 yards again if that didn't keep happening. The two-minute drive at the end was vintage Ray.

I've complained before about Wilder turning his back on tacklers rather than barreling over them, and he did it again once or twice last night. But when we really needed him last night in the fourth quarter, he was very strong. Showed what he can be if he stops dipsy-doodling. I didn't like McDaniel at RB at all -- he looks too small to be effective as a blocker.

We started (and played all night) W. Campbell at LT instead of Washington. Overall the line was pretty good apart from three or four penalties. Deane also got a lot more reps at RG than Watman. So what we saw last night is probably the five starters for the foreseeable future. J. Campbell played a lot of sets at TE/sixth blocker. Good to see him get lots of reps to further his development.

Ott did a superb job on kick coverage to limit Jackson's returns. Our own kick coverage was also great except for the one short punt that resulted in a 15-yard no-yards penalty as well as an alert return by Spencer.

I agreed with the call to go for it on third down late in the game. Fajardo had not failed to get a first down all season so it was reasonable to expect we'd succeed again. Fortunately, Ott scored so quickly that Ricky was left with tons of time on the clock.

Great to see the 1996-97 boys there, as well as Matthews' and Casola's family members.

The crowd was really into the game and it actually looked like more than 15,000 to me. The newbies were treated to a great game (after a slow first quarter) and hopefully lots of them will return.

ArgoGabe22
07-25-2017, 10:24 AM
Matthew Barnaby, Brandon Marshall and Genie Bouchard were all in attendance. It's the Flutie affect. I'm also convinced there were more than 10k bobble heads because at halftime, people came back with more bobble heads, as if there were extras laying around.

But what garbage from 3DN - http://3downnation.com/2017/07/24/hell-genie-bouchard-argos-game/

paulwoods13
07-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Two more things: Malcolm Williams looked smooth and comfortable out there, and I don't think he had any dropped passes. Great debut. Noel is fantastic on kick coverage and I think that's one reason Williams is playing receiver ahead of him. Keeps him fresh for the important role of mowing down returners.

mchesher03
07-25-2017, 10:34 AM
Great takes guys and while I didn’t see Bear Woods scrounging the bags for his helmet, good on our training staff, etc. for doing that!

Also great to see Paul Woods providing commentary in the halftime tribute to the 1996-1997 teams!!

gilthethrill
07-25-2017, 10:40 AM
Two more things: Malcolm Williams looked smooth and comfortable out there, and I don't think he had any dropped passes. Great debut. Noel is fantastic on kick coverage and I think that's one reason Williams is playing receiver ahead of him. Keeps him fresh for the important role of mowing down returners.

Also, Paul Woods did a fine job on the 96-97 Argos during the half time tribute!

paulwoods13
07-25-2017, 10:48 AM
That halftime video was nuts. I thought maybe they'd use a brief clip from my interview -- I did not expect to get as much airtime as Pinball! It's very weird to see your head a couple of storeys tall . . .

doubleblue
07-25-2017, 11:00 AM
My 2 cents (maybe we should change that to 5 cents now) lol

Was happy to see Malcolm Williams get the start at WR. Thought he showed what we saw in the pre-season game, good hands and speed to go with his 6'3 220 size. That should become a Canadian position now and they have depth there in Ralph and Noel. Don't know where Brian Jones fits in with this team. Green, Edwards, Posey or Fuller with Paden in that order for the imports. I thought Ottawa DB's covered very well and have seemed to have replaced the three guys they lost to the NFL. Not a lot of room for Green and company in this game.

Thought Will Campbell played a strong game at Left Tackle. Don't remember seeing him get beat on the pass rush. Washington looked kind of long faced on the side lines so he may see the writing on the wall that he has lost his job at LT. I thought maybe they could move him over to Right Guard and still start seven Canadians but apparently Trestman wants to keep that covered with Deane and Watman. I thought the line looked its strongest when Campbell, Holmes. McEwen, Deane and Van Zeyl were the unit. Deane does takes some penalties, but he is definitely bigger, stronger and more experienced than Watman. A rotation can work there I guess depending on the situation.

Good to see Trestman getting some of the young players on the game day roster and giving them some minutes. Foster looks too small to play DE in the pros but he has a good first step and speed off the edge. More LB size though at maybe 5'11 225. Onyeka has about the right size 6' 210 to play OLB along with some speed and aggressive attitude. They both should be fixtures on special teams as well.
Findley has played well and hopefully Waud can get into the lineup soon to be the next man up for Laing. Not good when you see Cleyon on crutches and wearing a knee brace . Could be at least a six game issue. We also need Alan Cash or Bishop back at one DT position.
Hope Butler isn't out too long as he has been outstanding at DE, not only for his sacks but how he was making a lot of tackles sliding down the line. Lemon has been just ok IMO not dominating like he has in the past. He needs to step it up if Butler is out very long.
Ball, Woods, Murray, Sears, Owusu-Ansah and Vaughan are all solid experienced pros and along with Harris and Gabriel have become a very solid defense IMO. But we have to see if the next guys up like Davis and Tuggle can to the job. I think they are good players from seeing them a few times, but they are back ups for a reason I guess.

Don't know who the main RB is going forward. I really like Wilder if used on pass and Yac yards. He is a tough guy to bring down when he get going in some open space. However hasn't shown he can hit the holes inside or cut back. A healthy Whitaker would help to rotate with him. Coombes isn't answer inside but is turning into what I thought he would be. A good receiver who can pick up good yac yards. McDaniel looks like a quick little guy but I don't know if he is the answer. Maybe the best RB this year isn't on the roster yet. Over to Jim Popp on that one.

The fact that Prukop is on the roster may mean they really like his potential ahead of Mathews, or maybe just the fact he needs the experience and Mathews is always there if Ricky goes down.

We also have a very good long snapper and kicker. Who did I miss. Ricky is still very good. Woodson has potential to play at Safety if needed. Jamal Campbell should be the eventual replacement for Van Zeyl at RT, but just not yet. I like Jackson as a kick returner and a good little guy to slip into the offense once in a while. He's always a threat to break one.

We're talking about a pretty good Football team here when everybody is healthy and maybe add a piece or two in September.

mchesher03
07-25-2017, 11:12 AM
That halftime video was nuts. I thought maybe they'd use a brief clip from my interview -- I did not expect to get as much airtime as Pinball! It's very weird to see your head a couple of storeys tall . . .

The big three of the Argos glory days – Mike O’Shea, Pinball Clemons and Paul Woods. Hahah

I kid – the video was very very cool. Those are the years I started watching this team and got hooked. Those years made up for several years of mediocrity that followed that’s for sure.

ArgoFan1
07-25-2017, 11:13 AM
Glad they pulled out the win, but was afraid they were going to blow it when Ottawa tied it up late.
So far ...not a fan of Wilder. We need Whitaker there as much as possible.
Being stuck in the hospital, this is the first home game I remember watching on tv in a couple decades, and it makes me embarassed to be a Torontonian to see what the stands look like. I know that line belongs in that other thread

ArgoGabe22
07-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Surprised no one mentioned the interesting anthem sung by Diane Clemons. Pinball's reaction on videoscreen was priceless.

AngeloV
07-25-2017, 12:02 PM
Fuller has to start making some of those big catches...I know that they are tough ones but he's had 2 hands on both of them!

Catchable, but 50/50 balls are not easy.
He made a great block to spring Wilder and keep a TD drive going. If Gurley and Elliott tried that hard to help their teammates they would likely still be playing somewhere.

AngeloV
07-25-2017, 12:08 PM
Surprised no one mentioned the interesting anthem sung by Diane Clemons. Pinball's reaction on videoscreen was priceless.

Ok, she's Pinner's wife, but I've never been a fan of her anthem creativity. She did look good though.

AngeloV
07-25-2017, 12:10 PM
Also, Paul Woods did a fine job on the 96-97 Argos during the half time tribute!

I could have sworn you boo'd him every time he was on the board. 😂😂😂

gilthethrill
07-25-2017, 12:21 PM
I could have sworn you boo'd him every time he was on the board. 

Thanks for selling me out big guy!

Will
07-25-2017, 12:51 PM
Ok, she's Pinner's wife, but I've never been a fan of her anthem creativity. She did look good though.

Neither am I.
I'm not sure Pinball was either.

Shatto
07-25-2017, 01:01 PM
Excellent summary, doubleblue. I tried to watch Fuller during the game. He made some good catches but seldom got good separation. It appears he may have lost a step. At the moment, Edwards looks like the only legitimate deep threat.

Tuggle and Davis both seemed to perform well when playing in the second half. Tuggle seems to have good speed. There was one play, when he used that speed to step in front of a receiver and knock the ball away--not bad for a 6'3 247 lb LB.

Did notice that Deane and Watman rotated at RG. Wonder if this is a way of working Deane into the lineup?

ArgoFan1
07-25-2017, 01:06 PM
they should never allow someone to sing without music behind them. That's when you get singers who do not keep pace. She has a good voice but for music...you need timing to be right. Not all over the place. I just barely caught Pinball's reaction. Wonder if he's sleeping on the couch tonight

ArgoRavi
07-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Matthew Barnaby, Brandon Marshall and Genie Bouchard were all in attendance. It's the Flutie affect. I'm also convinced there were more than 10k bobble heads because at halftime, people came back with more bobble heads, as if there were extras laying around.

But what garbage from 3DN - http://3downnation.com/2017/07/24/hell-genie-bouchard-argos-game/

What a bizarre article!

ArgoRavi
07-25-2017, 01:48 PM
Catchable, but 50/50 balls are not easy.
He made a great block to spring Wilder and keep a TD drive going. If Gurley and Elliott tried that hard to help their teammates they would likely still be playing somewhere.

Was thinking the same thing about Fuller, AV. His block was crucial and the opposing DBs get paid to play too.

dmont
07-25-2017, 05:33 PM

I thought Van Zeyl had a lousy game, actually. Noticed he was responsible for one costly penalty, and I blame him for the botched 3rd and inches. That coulda been the game right there.

I like Wilder and want him to stay on the field. I'd prefer more north south, but he's still pretty good. Good game, Coombs. Happy for Malcolm Williams. Marcus Ball had a big game.

All things considered, that was a game we should have won handily and we barely squeaked it out. I realize the loss of three defensive starters made for a tough situation, but so far this season we've been an average team, at best. Defense needs to play all four quarters, receivers need to catch those easy balls in the red zone, and the O line needs better protection for Ricky.

ArgoZ
07-25-2017, 06:25 PM
What a bizarre article!

Drew Edwards admitted to writing the blog in the comments. It was supposed to be humorous and/or "tongue in cheek" but it missed the mark for many, including me. It was stupid.

R.J
07-25-2017, 06:42 PM
Wasn't a fan of her rendition. I think it's best for people to sing the anthem the way it should be sang, but that just me, so moving on..........

The game itself went through some lulls at times, but as a CFL fan, I think most would agree that it was a strong finish, and this season has seen some scoring. I'm not sold on the ridiculous amount of high percentage offences we're seeing, but if the League ever fixes the reffing issues, the League could really start to sell itself to "nonbelievers".

Wilder has been unimpressive so far, but a big dude, he doesn't seem to run up the gut all that well, almost as though he's afraid of contact. Williams looked good out there, the Oline looked good I suppose, but Holmes, Watman and Van Zeyl are still concerns of mine. I will admit that the defence is playing considerably better than I ever thought they would, but we're only about a 1/4 into the season, so I don't want to get my hopes up. Hopefully Woods and Butler return on Saturday, their replacements played well, but IMO the starters are better at this point.

Argofan_1000
07-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Drew Edwards admitted to writing the blog in the comments. It was supposed to be humorous and/or "tongue in cheek" but it missed the mark for many, including me. It was stupid.

3downnation is full of negative media influence from TO. Rogers is well represented on 3down. You will see the slant they put on things from time to time. Drew Edwards saying it tongue in cheek. BS. It was all calculated.

argotom
07-25-2017, 07:21 PM

Since no one really knows how to fix this attendance problem, I have previously said how the team needs a "Drake" equivalent to promote and most important to attend the games.
So maybe the Canadian tennis queen Genie Bouchard as well as Justin Bieber, even though I can't stand his music may be the answer if they could be convinced.
Didn't Genie say she wanted to date that moron, but I digress?
It has to be a happening place again to watch the Argos for filling the joint and get the bandwagon types.

jerrym
07-25-2017, 07:30 PM
Coombs 8 receptions for 73 yards with 42 YAC yards show how he has come into his own this year and will likely remain a major component of the offence.

AngeloV
07-25-2017, 07:55 PM
Coombs 8 receptions for 73 yards with 42 YAC yards show how he has come into his own this year and will likely remain a major component of the offence.

As Will and I tweeted prior to yesterday's game....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Coombs is going to be a star. Some people are so impatient and don't realize he's still only 24.</p>&mdash; Angelo V (@AngVarv) <a href="https://twitter.com/AngVarv/status/889527275850518530">July 24, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mchesher03
07-26-2017, 09:01 AM
3downnation is full of negative media influence from TO. Rogers is well represented on 3down. You will see the slant they put on things from time to time. Drew Edwards saying it tongue in cheek. BS. It was all calculated.

Maybe it was calculated, I don’t think so personally.

Really they can continue posting nonsense if they want, drew Edwards is the editor and he is welcome to take that slant moving forward. I don’t see the logic behind it though, pushing the rogers anti-cfl agenda is just going to cause 3rd down nation to p*ss off its readership and they’ll just stop reading the articles on there altogether. I think drew learned his lesson here, he’s usually fairly even keeled and I’d opine that he likes the CFL. Speaking purely for myself, I can read bs nonsense like this if I wanted to go to sportsnet.ca and I don’t think I’ve visited that site in my life for that very reason.

Let’s just hope this was a bad / dumb decision by drew to post this nonsense (and under the “3d staff” banner) and move forward.

argolio
07-26-2017, 07:05 PM
Surprised no one mentioned the interesting anthem sung by Diane Clemons. Pinball's reaction on videoscreen was priceless.That's the way she sang it at the Dome. Didn't bother me.

You have to be able to make 3rd and inches anywhere on the field. That was simply poor execution by the offence but the call to go for it was the correct one IMO.I agree it was the right call. Looked to me from far away that Fajardo ran too high.

With the failed third down play and the blocked FG return against Hamilton, we've overcome two dramatic negative plays that could have led to losses. Very likely would have last season.

ArgofanIan
07-26-2017, 09:12 PM
on the non football side.... I think the tribute to the 96 / 97 Argos was a big success with a special thanks to Doug Flutie .... was great to hear the ARGO Notes again..... saw the CFL Commish at the Tailgate.... CFTO had a reporter on site at the tail gate.... when I bought a beer(s) they even gave me an ARGO beer coaster at the post game party....I think the Argo business team is doing is doing a great job .... Some times we read negative reports in the media ..... but I think there were many more positives about the game on Monday..... GO ARGOS !!!

AngeloV
07-26-2017, 10:23 PM
on the non football side.... I think the tribute to the 96 / 97 Argos was a big success with a special thanks to Doug Flutie .... was great to hear the ARGO Notes again..... saw the CFL Commish at the Tailgate.... CFTO had a reporter on site at the tail gate.... when I bought a beer(s) they even gave me an ARGO beer coaster at the post game party....I think the Argo business team is doing is doing a great job .... Some times we read negative reports in the media ..... but I think there were many more positives about the game on Monday..... GO ARGOS !!!

Well said!!

7dj83r8f78t4alf8