PDA

View Full Version : One Other Question About the Argos Draft

Nob
05-05-2012, 11:45 AM
I wondered before the draft if they would select a kicker. Prefontaine isn't getting any younger, and hasn't played 18 games in a season for a couple of years now. Plus with Shaw gone the Argos lose the needed depth they had there.

I know that no kickers were selected (at least none that I can recall), and that there was no "sure fire /can't miss" prospect at that position that teams were lining up for.

Will the Argos pluck a kicker off someone else's cuts later?

AngeloV
05-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Great question. I think in an emergency situation, there are going to be a few import kickers with CFL experience available, such as Duval, Setta, Sakoda. In watching CIS ball, IMO there just aren't many pro caliber kickers, especially in terms of leg strength.

ArgoRavi
05-05-2012, 12:43 PM
I thought that there were a few decent ones available in the draft but the Argos can always grab one as a free agent later. As far as placekickers, Sandro DeAngelis is still kicking around as well.

RoRoYoBoat
05-05-2012, 01:20 PM
You can only carry 46 men on the roster. Carrying an extra kicker negates the value of a multi purpose NI kicker like Prefontaine.

1argoholic
05-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I hear that Giancola will be in camp.

Nob
05-05-2012, 04:04 PM
I get that the roster spaces are limited, but will they carry one on the practice roster? You notice teams like Edmonton nd BC had extra kickers hanging around (BC turned Whyte into a number one draft choice in the trade with Montreal, I think).

I also liked guys like Shaw, and even Hardy, that could also plug and play in different positions as well as kick. Those types of players (as opposed to guys who only kick) were worth a lot more than they get credit for.

Edmonton has a few kickers on their roster (and one whom they drafted in the first round last year - Hugh O'Neil that doesn't appear on their roster). Could the Argos get one from their?

ArgoGabe22
05-05-2012, 04:35 PM
There are good CIS kicker who went undrafted. Gary Anderson's son from McGill and some other son of some guy but forgot who.

ArgoGabe22
05-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Austin Anderson got invited to Colts camp. http://tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=395123

1argoholic
05-05-2012, 09:55 PM
I hope they get the other son of some guy. hahaha. Sounds like my posts. As I writing I can never remember names and have to do a quick search.

ArgoGabe22
05-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Just remembered it was Bob Cameron's son who plays for UND.
LEGACY WATCH

Mack tried his best to draft University of North Dakota punter Brett Cameron on Thursday, but he couldn’t corral a late-round pick to use on the son of Bomber legend Bob Cameron.
“We really wanted to draft Brett, but nobody stepped up to offer a pick,” Mack said. “We would love to give him the opportunity. Bob’s a great guy, and his son has done some good things.”
Cameron still has a year of eligibility remaining at UND, so don’t be surprised to see him at camp next year.

ArgoRavi
05-06-2012, 12:07 AM
James (Quick) Parker's son was drafted by Montreal but he is a DB.

gilthethrill
05-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Looks like Hamilton may have to wait for lb Fredrick Plesius..he is attending a mini camp with the NFL's Philadelphia franchise according to TSN.

argolio
05-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Looks like Hamilton may have to wait for lb Fredrick Plesius..he is attending a mini camp with the NFL's Philadelphia franchise according to TSN.I can only imagine the reaction on this board if we had drafted him and if the Eagles were to invite him to their main camp.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8