PDA

View Full Version : CFL fullback (H-back) = a slight return ?

OV Argo
07-23-2017, 09:02 PM
Fulback/H-back continues to be a small part of most CFL offences; vets like Lumbala (BC), Cote (Calgary), McCarty/ex-Argo Dupuis (Esks) have some sort of part-time role - mostly blocking; Ottawa uses there H-back Lavoie quite a bit and he gets a fair number of passes thrown his way - scored receiving TDs in each of the past 2 GC games.

But Montreal has been using their fullback J-C Boileau (6-3, 220 - 6th round pick in 2014) some this season, AND getting him the ball some: - 5 carries - his first 4 went for, 6, 7, 27 and 8 yards and his 5th was a one yard rush on a 2nd and short conversion attempt (the next play they tried a sneak with QB Adams needing just one yard and he got stuffed = cost them the game in Ottawa = maybe they should have tried the big fullback again?); Boileau also has 5 receptions for 48 yards including a 21 yard gainer. This guy looks powerful with some quicks for a big back. Averaging around 10 yards per on both carries and receptions.

Be interesting to see if the Als realize they have a decent offensive weapon there and he progresses to more touches? Or just OK as a little used tendency breaker ?

Doubleblue and I have commented here in the past on the possibility of a big fullback having more of a role or impact in CFL offences. Probably not going to see another force like Blake Marshall again, but maybe Boileau's play shows something - and not a call for the return of leather helmets.

:shhhh:

doubleblue
07-24-2017, 10:37 AM
James Wilder 6'2 232 could make some serious yac yards IMO if given the chance on screens, shovel passes, short passes out in the flat. Maybe we will see some of that tonight.

OV Argo
07-24-2017, 03:41 PM
James Wilder 6'2 232 could make some serious yac yards IMO if given the chance on screens, shovel passes, short passes out in the flat. Maybe we will see some of that tonight.

Yes sure - i bet he could too; but he is lining-up at tailback, and there already is a big (much bigger) tailback in Jerome Messam doing serious damage to CFL defences a lot of times = as evidence a big, powerful tailback could work.

I pointed out the example of Boileau with the Als to suggest the fullback position can work/ be effective at times or when tried. I guess the Argos could try lining up Wilder as a fullback while still deploying Whitaker or another back at tailback; but that is maybe more of a discussion on a 2 back set as a regular part of an offence - and I think we've talked about that before too.

OV Argo
07-28-2017, 04:34 PM
Hmm; Boileau impressive again: powers in for a short & goal TD, and later rips off a 41 yard run, where he absolutely runs over big, hard hitting safety Loffler and then shows some speed in the open field.

Wobbler
07-28-2017, 05:20 PM
I assume that you're talking about Beaulieu, OV, but that wasn't a very good attempt at his name! ;)

He did look terrific on that run, which provided almost half of his career rushing yardage. I think I'd need to see a few more of those before making him a meaningful part of the offense, though.

OV Argo
07-28-2017, 05:32 PM
I assume that you're talking about Beaulieu, OV, but that wasn't a very good attempt at his name! ;)

He did look terrific on that run, which provided almost half of his career rushing yardage. I think I'd need to see a few more of those before making him a meaningful part of the offense, though.

Ooops - sorry bout that spelling J-C; both are fairly common French/Quebec names, pronounced almost the same (?)

And as far as not having seem much of him - 2 of his runs this year are for 27 & 41 yards, and he also has a 21 yard pass gainer; in 12 total touches ? Yeah- maybe some kind of fluke though = nothing to see there.

ArgoRavi
07-29-2017, 01:28 AM
Ooops - sorry bout that spelling J-C; both are fairly common French/Quebec names, pronounced almost the same (?)

And as far as not having seem much of him - 2 of his runs this year are for 27 & 41 yards, and he also has a 21 yard pass gainer; in 12 total touches ? Yeah- maybe some kind of fluke though = nothing to see there.

Let's see him continue to make those kinds of plays before we anoint him as something special. I always remember Mike Bradley having one 80 yard TD run in his career which got some excited but he then averaged about 2 or 3 yards per carry every other time he touched the football.

OV Argo
07-29-2017, 11:22 AM
Let's see him continue to make those kinds of plays before we anoint him as something special. I always remember Mike Bradley having one 80 yard TD run in his career which got some excited but he then averaged about 2 or 3 yards per carry every other time he touched the football.

Just FYI Ravi - Bradley's career average was 5.8, so your memory of him is quite faulty. IMO- 5 yards per carry for a CFL RB is pretty decent; 5.5+ = very good; and 6 yards plus = outstanding.

And who's calling for Beaulieu to be anointed feature player in the Als offence? I just pointed out that the fact the Als are getting a fullback/H-back the ball some - both rushing (very rare for CFL fullbacks now) and some receptions; and that his production has been very good. Sorry if this was offensive to anyone.

doubleblue
07-29-2017, 05:41 PM
Just FYI Ravi - Bradley's career average was 5.8, so your memory of him is quite faulty. IMO- 5 yards per carry for a CFL RB is pretty decent; 5.5+ = very good; and 6 yards plus = outstanding.

And who's calling for Beaulieu to be anointed feature player in the Als offence? I just pointed out that the fact the Als are getting a fullback/H-back the ball some - both rushing (very rare for CFL fullbacks now) and some receptions; and that his production has been very good. Sorry if this was offensive to anyone.

I like what I have seen from Beaulieu. The Als may have themselves a pretty good player there. Some guys peak physically at 19 or 20 and never get any better. Others later. He could be one of those guys.

ArgoRavi
07-30-2017, 01:21 AM

I seem to recall back in the day on the total-cfl.com forum - remember that, OV? - that if you take away the one 80 yard run Bradley had, his average would have been 2 to 3 yards per carry but my memory could be off on that too.

OV Argo
07-30-2017, 10:10 AM
I seem to recall back in the day on the total-cfl.com forum - remember that, OV? - that if you take away the one 80 yard run Bradley had, his average would have been 2 to 3 yards per carry but my memory could be off on that too.

I think his longest run might have been 60 yards Ravi, and yes it would lower his average if you take that away, but no way it was down to 2 or 3 yard range.

Sure - good ole total-cfl; what i recall there about Bradley was some Esks fan moaning that it was going to be a terrible decision to have to start some no account Canadian scrub at tailback after an injury to the starting import RB; and Bradley starts the next game and has over 100 rushing yards. Total-cfl was my first internet CFL fan forum talk i got involved with; there were some good, smart posters there - including some guy named Ravi ;o)

j-ski
08-01-2017, 07:35 PM

Bradley was used mostly as a kickoff returner and he looked good. The few times he got to play tailback, he looked real good. Surprised Edmonton didn't give him more of a chance.
Kind of reminds me of Morris with the Riders right now. Impressing on the kick-off returns. I'm sure one day Morris will be a starting tailback like Andrew Harris with the Blue Bombers.

OV Argo
08-01-2017, 11:00 PM
Bradley was used mostly as a kickoff returner and he looked good. The few times he got to play tailback, he looked real good. Surprised Edmonton didn't give him more of a chance.
Kind of reminds me of Morris with the Riders right now. Impressing on the kick-off returns. I'm sure one day Morris will be a starting tailback like Andrew Harris with the Blue Bombers.

I got a kick out of all the talk of the re-emergence of the Canadian tailback when Cornish was leading the league in rushing and Messam & Andrew Harris were up there too - and those 2 still are.

Morris & LaFrance are with the ego-Jones Riders; they would only get to play tailback if Ego decided it was to be one of the 7 only need apply NI spots. Gillanders has easily been Ottawa's most productive and explosive tailback this season - when he went in as an injury replacement first game of the year - and been rewarded with zero playing time since. Timmis - 2nd round draft pick - will continue to ride the bench for Kenty in the Hammer.

ArgoRavi
08-02-2017, 12:20 AM
Is Lafrance injured? I haven't heard anything about him since he moved to the Riders.

AngeloV
08-02-2017, 07:49 AM
Is Lafrance injured? I haven't heard anything about him since he moved to the Riders.

All part is of ego-Jones plot to hold down Canadian skilled position players.

;)

7dj83r8f78t4alf8