PDA

View Full Version : GAME THREAD: Winnipeg vs. Ottawa

jerrym
08-04-2017, 05:10 PM
The 1-4-1 RedBlacks take on the 3-2 Bombers in a game where current standings suggest we may once again be facing a crossover playoff situation at the end of the season if current East-West trends continue. (7:00 PM EDT Friday)

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2397/winnipeg-blue-bombers-vs-ottawa-redblacks/#/preview

Argo57
08-04-2017, 09:56 PM
Nice win by the Bombers!!
Medlock still is a clutch kicker.

OV Argo
08-05-2017, 11:06 AM
Heard on Ottawa radio coverage of the game that the RedBlacks are the first team in CFL history to have the first 6 games of the season decided by 5 points or less; make that the first 7 games now.

Bombers make another great comeback; but Ottawa blew the game on one play basically - clueless returner allows a Medlock kick-off to go in the end-zone for a single point - drawing the Bombers within 3 late in the game; they are then able to kick a FG to tie, and go on to win with a FG. If they were not within 3 that late, and instead down by 4, good chance they have to go for it on 3rd down - and who knows what happens there - maybe a turn-over on downs ? Hard to believe a coaching staff cannot understand the significance of giving up the single point there - and the ball was catchable / the returner should have been instructed to play deeper and get the ball out no matter what.

Nobody can play really strong defence in the CFL this year; maybe both the Stumps & Esks could if they had all hands on deck and not so many injuries on D; but still - good defences just do not give up 30 plus points a game or over 300 yards offence a game. The Bombers seem to have plenty of talent on D, but IMO Richie Hall is a predictable old dullard as a DC.

ArgoRavi
08-05-2017, 01:27 PM
That Medlock kickoff was a deep one, OV. I honestly don't blame the returner for not getting that out. The wind advantage for Winnipeg seemed quite strong at that point so bringing the ball out to the 5 yard line would have done the Redblacks little good ultimately IMO.

The bigger issue I have with the RedBlacks was how they played things after Winnipeg tied the game at 30. There were only 51 seconds left and Ottawa should have just played for OT where there would be no wind advantage for either team rather than trying to force something at that point. If they had tried to run the ball a couple of times there, they could have drained a good bit of clock and left the Bombers with much less time to get into FG position to win the game. I am not usually one big on playing it conservative but Rick Campbell really should have done so at that point.

OV Argo
08-05-2017, 02:00 PM
That Medlock kickoff was a deep one, OV. I honestly don't blame the returner for not getting that out. The wind advantage for Winnipeg seemed quite strong at that point so bringing the ball out to the 5 yard line would have done the Redblacks little good ultimately IMO.

The bigger issue I have with the RedBlacks was how they played things after Winnipeg tied the game at 30. There were only 51 seconds left and Ottawa should have just played for OT where there would be no wind advantage for either team rather than trying to force something at that point. If they had tried to run the ball a couple of times there, they could have drained a good bit of clock and left the Bombers with much less time to get into FG position to win the game. I am not usually one big on playing it conservative but Rick Campbell really should have done so at that point.

That kick-off wasn't that deep Ravi; it bounced around and stopped middle of the end zone; if it was a super strong, deep kick, the returner could have been wise enough to let it roll through the end zone and you don't give up a single now (really bad CFL rule change that goes back a few years IMO; all balls that are kicked into the end zone should have to be returned out to avoid giving up a single - principle of Canadian football IMO that got changed - for what reason ?) Ottawa should have realized that giving the Bombers a single let them get within 3 and a FG to tie; don't give up that single and even if the Bombers get the ball back in good field position, then they still need a TD to win and are maybe likely to lose the game by going for it on 3rd down; instead - they let Medlock - outstanding FG kicker - tie the game.

argolio
08-05-2017, 04:03 PM
I think maybe eight or nine times out of ten that kick would have rolled through the end zone. This one happened to bounce in such a way to slow it down. Put the returner in the difficult situation of having to concede.

OV Argo
08-05-2017, 04:09 PM
I think maybe eight or nine times out of ten that kick would have rolled through the end zone. This one happened to bounce in such a way to slow it down. Put the returner in the difficult situation of having to concede.

Yes/maybe so; but the returner still has to be aware (told by the coaches) that we do not want to give up a single at this stage of the game & score; he might have returned it to mid-field or even for a TD if he tried. And sure he might have got stopped at the 5 yard line too, but the offence still has a chance to make first downs or burn some clock, and if they do not, they are punting the ball back to the Bombers who still need a TD to win - a FG would not do - and the Bummers hardly have a scary dangerous passing game that can be expected to score a TD easily.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8