PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Toronto sports "fans"

PullTogether73
08-20-2017, 12:41 AM
So, after every Argonauts home game, on my way home I stop somewhere to pick up something for dinner.
Maybe fast food, maybe something from the local grocery store.
Of course, I am dressed in my full Argonauts regalia.

Invariably, more than one person will ask me if the Argonauts played that day.
They will then ask if the Argonauts won.

I find this behaviour utterly bizarre.
If one doesn't know that the Argonauts were playing, why would you bother to ask?
And why would that person care if they won the game?
Clearly that person is not interested in the Argonauts, so why bother inquiring at all?

Bizarre.

Rich
08-20-2017, 01:53 AM
There's a lot of casual sports fans in this city who aren't really interested in a local team unless they are winning and are perceived as being a winning team in general. If the Argonauts were perceived to be a winning team in town, your friend at the grocery store would be more interested in them.

Topshelf
08-20-2017, 02:23 AM
I think it's more just friendliness and a conversation starter. We don't have many die hard fans in the city. It's not a Toronto thing. And that goes for all sports, I've asked jays fans after a game if we've won. It doesn't mean I'm not a sports fan or a Jays fan, and for all our whining about noone turning up to bmo, a question like that should be replied with yeah we won big, great game, have you ever been to bmo?

doubleblue
08-20-2017, 08:44 AM
So, after every Argonauts home game, on my way home I stop somewhere to pick up something for dinner.

If one doesn't know that the Argonauts were playing, why would you bother to ask?
Clearly that person is not interested in the Argonauts, so why bother inquiring at all?

Bizarre.

I have had that happen as well. But if I was talking to someone with a Toronto FC shirt on I wouldn't know when or if they were playing.

Will
08-20-2017, 09:17 AM

Bizarre.

Happened in the food building immediately following the game.

ArgoZ
08-20-2017, 09:58 AM

Funny topic. A vendor inside and outside both asked me if they won and we're happy when I told them by how much. Come to think of it, wherever my group usually stop to eat on the way home, the questions about the game usually come up.

shayman
08-20-2017, 12:26 PM
This is way better than nobody noticing at all.

It was great walking around the crowded CNE after the game and seeing so many people wearing Argos gear. That feeling of belonging is one that you don’t get that often as an Argo fan. I am glad that the CNE ticket promotion worked well.

matthew
08-20-2017, 12:29 PM
If they want to start dragging parents out to games perhaps a midway ride promo for those kids that are members of kids club.

Neely2005
08-20-2017, 12:55 PM
I think it's more just friendliness and a conversation starter. We don't have many die hard fans in the city. It's not a Toronto thing. And that goes for all sports, I've asked jays fans after a game if we've won. It doesn't mean I'm not a sports fan or a Jays fan, and for all our whining about noone turning up to bmo, a question like that should be replied with yeah we won big, great game, have you ever been to bmo?

Good idea to ask them if they've ever been to a game @ BMO Field. Tickets start @ just $15 after all.

timlb01
08-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Good idea to ask them if they've ever been to a game @ BMO Field. Tickets start @ just $15 after all.

A+

1971GreyCup
08-20-2017, 01:16 PM
I still don't buy there is a typical Toronto person. Certainly, the vocal minority represents what maybe 200,000. You can't tell me that there aren't another 10,000 potential fans that will come regularly to an Argos game. Folks, there is 6 million people in the Argos cachement area. We've got 25,000 minor league, high school and rugby players and parents around. Surely 250,000 former football players too.

We were in a town of a population of 5,000 in the South and their football stadium held 6,000. Yes, football here is Canada's hockey but we still don't have 7 million hockey seats in our area.

AngeloV
08-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Hopefully better and smarter ticket pricing next gear will see a gradual increase to where they get in the neighbourhood of 20k every game within the next couple of years. I'm going to be patient. Even with the 11-16k they have been getting, I have no complaints as far as atmosphere goes. It's a fun place to watch the game.

ArgoZ
08-20-2017, 06:32 PM
Hopefully better and smarter ticket pricing next gear will see a gradual increase to where they get in the neighbourhood of 20k every game within the next couple of years. I'm going to be patient. Even with the 11-16k they have been getting, I have no complaints as far as atmosphere goes. It's a fun place to watch the game.

Last game was great. Even though it was only 16k, most were standing up and I even got a few high fives, something that rarely happened at the dome. It was my first game of the year (I can only make weekends) and I had such a good time, I can't wait to come back in Sept.

Argofan_1000
08-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Last game was great. Even though it was only 16k, most were standing up and I even got a few high fives, something that rarely happened at the dome. It was my first game of the year (I can only make weekends) and I had such a good time, I can't wait to come back in Sept.

I was on the lower east side. The upper east side I could not see them - but it must of been a party up there as the were the loudest in the stadium. it is only a glimpse of what we could be as fans - right coach. Lot of fun yesterday.

Will
08-21-2017, 10:30 AM
This is way better than nobody noticing at all.

It was great walking around the crowded CNE after the game and seeing so many people wearing Argos gear. That feeling of belonging is one that you don’t get that often as an Argo fan. I am glad that the CNE ticket promotion worked well.

Yep, I stayed on the Ex grounds until approximately 10:30 and was still seeing people in Argo jerseys.

Topshelf
08-21-2017, 11:13 AM
Seems 15 dollars is the right price point for the east side upper deck.
Now we've had good crowds up there for both the ex game and flutie bobblehead.
Maybe a price drop for lower sections could fill those and make for better tv atmosphere.
That said, seems were heading in right direction!

AngeloV
08-21-2017, 11:14 AM
Yep, I stayed on the Ex grounds until approximately 10:30 and was still seeing people in Argo jerseys.

I left around 10 myself, and it was great to see so many people with Argos gear walking around.

Will
08-21-2017, 11:33 AM
Seems 15 dollars is the right price point for the east side upper deck.
Now we've had good crowds up there for both the ex game and flutie bobblehead.
Maybe a price drop for lower sections could fill those and make for better tv atmosphere.
That said, seems were heading in right direction!

The middle sections of the west side of the upper-deck are probably overpriced as well.

Argo57
08-21-2017, 08:35 PM
The middle sections of the west side of the upper-deck are probably overpriced as well.

That's where we sat last year $899 per seat (a bit rich IMO) so we moved to section 225 first row behind the Argonaut bench and paid $699 per seat.
I would rather see much more modest ticket prices to attract the younger crowd and build up the fan base for the future.

RB957
08-21-2017, 09:01 PM

That's hilarious.

RB957
08-21-2017, 09:05 PM
I was on the lower east side. The upper east side I could not see them - but it must of been a party up there as the were the loudest in the stadium. it is only a glimpse of what we could be as fans - right coach. Lot of fun yesterday.

My season seats are in west side, section 223. For this game, I brought my brother-in-law and nephew and got two extra seats in the upper east side, section 206. The section was packed and the fans were really into the game. Lots of kids, and they were all yelling and cheering and at the appropriate time. It was a great experience. The only negative aspect was that I could not hear a thing from the loudspeaker system in that part of the stadium. That was very annoying and should be looked at, especially if they are trying to attract new fans.

gilthethrill
08-21-2017, 10:39 PM
My season seats are in west side, section 223. For this game, I brought my brother-in-law and nephew and got two extra seats in the upper east side, section 206. The section was packed and the fans were really into the game. Lots of kids, and they were all yelling and cheering and at the appropriate time. It was a great experience. The only negative aspect was that I could not hear a thing from the loudspeaker system in that part of the stadium. That was very annoying and should be looked at, especially if they are trying to attract new fans.

I sit on the west side. The 1st half it seemed the PA system was not working but it was loud and clear for the 2nd half.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8