PDA

View Full Version : Report: Coombs to undergo shoulder surgery

Will
08-21-2017, 03:51 PM
https://www.cfl.ca/2017/08/21/report-coombs-undergo-shoulder-surgery/

Damned unfortunate loss as Coombs was having himself a nice season. The way he got slammed into the turf did look quite painful. Coach Trestman seems optimistic that he'd be ready for the end of the season so it isn't season ending. He was on pace for 92 catches for 852 yards and 2 TD's. We saw Jimmy Ralph take his spot and Ralph did make 5 catches for 45 yards, but he is not the hybrid RB/SB like Coombs.

ArgoZ
08-21-2017, 05:19 PM
https://www.cfl.ca/2017/08/21/report-coombs-undergo-shoulder-surgery/

Damned unfortunate loss as Coombs was having himself a nice season. The way he got slammed into the turf did look quite painful. Coach Trestman seems optimistic that he'd be ready for the end of the season so it isn't season ending. He was on pace for 92 catches for 852 yards and 2 TD's. We saw Jimmy Ralph take his spot and Ralph did make 5 catches for 45 yards, but he is not the hybrid RB/SB like Coombs.

Jackson did well playing the hybrid spot last game. Jones or Ralph should be able to fill the receiving void.

AngeloV
08-21-2017, 06:20 PM
Jackson did well playing the hybrid spot last game. Jones or Ralph should be able to fill the receiving void.

I didn't see Jackson lining in that spot at all. He replaced Whitaker for the 1 series on O, when he had a couple of touches. It was Ralph that took Coombs spot.

ArgoZ
08-21-2017, 08:17 PM
I didn't see Jackson lining in that spot at all. He replaced Whitaker for the 1 series on O, when he had a couple of touches. It was Ralph that took Coombs spot. You may be right. I assumed he was making some catches out of the slot, but they may have all been from the backfield and fooled me.

doubleblue
08-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Unfortunate injury for Coombs and for the ratio. So what's the short term plan? Replace Coombs with McDaniel and replace Fuller with Ralph, Jones and Noel? I wouldn't mind seeing Wilder playing a hybrid SB/Rec. He would be a lot tougher to bring down than Coombs.

Argo
08-21-2017, 10:19 PM
Unfortunate injury for Coombs and for the ratio. So what's the short term plan? Replace Coombs with McDaniel and replace Fuller with Ralph, Jones and Noel? I wouldn't mind seeing Wilder playing a hybrid SB/Rec. He would be a lot tougher to bring down than Coombs.

I was happy to see Fuller arrive. He hasn't done much...

jerrym
08-21-2017, 11:11 PM
This misfortune for Coombs could provide Ralph with a good opportunity to establish himself.

AngeloV
08-21-2017, 11:38 PM
I was happy to see Fuller arrive. He hasn't done much...

Except for clear for the underneath guys and block down field. I still believe he will regain his form, but for now, nice to see receivers on this team that play a team game.

OV Argo
08-22-2017, 12:12 AM
Ralph looked pretty good when he came in last game - but doesn't have the experience and probably not near the open field running ability of Coombs; another option would be to play Jones as more of a traditional (maybe old style) big, tough inside receiver - who can catch passes down field and then punish or run over small DBs, but I doubt that happens. I have confidence that either of Ralph or Jones could do a very good job as a replacement for Coombs at slot though; please don't bring back Paden and hand him the job.

gilthethrill
08-22-2017, 08:41 AM
Ralph looked pretty good when he came in last game - but doesn't have the experience and probably not near the open field running ability of Coombs; another option would be to play Jones as more of a traditional (maybe old style) big, tough inside receiver - who can catch passes down field and then punish or run over small DBs, but I doubt that happens. I have confidence that either of Ralph or Jones could do a very good job as a replacement for Coombs at slot though; please don't bring back Paden and hand him the job.

Do you really think the team would bring back Paden and hand him Coombs job? Really???

AngeloV
08-22-2017, 11:04 AM
Do you really think the team would bring back Paden and hand him Coombs job? Really???

GOB conspiracy.

OV Argo
08-22-2017, 11:13 AM

Why was Paden ever given any playing time with this Argo team, period? Really?

Wobbler
08-22-2017, 11:29 AM
I don't think we have anyone on the roster that we can drop into Coombs spot and run the same plays effectively.

Posey comes off the six this week, so some shuffling will be needed. I think we'll land on:

Posey - Green - Edwards - Williams/Fuller
Whitaker - Ralph

- I'd love to see Jones get a look in Coombs spot playing a traditional SB role instead of doing Coombs' full job, but the org has made it pretty clear that they don't like Jones
- Posey is our top boundary WR, so Williams should be moved to field. Fuller could keep his job instead if we're willing to go down to seven NATs

AngeloV
08-22-2017, 12:09 PM
Why was Paden ever given any playing time with this Argo team, period? Really?

I don't know. Why did SJ Green have to stay on the practice roster in Montreal for 2 years while Eric Deslauriers started?

OV Argo
08-22-2017, 12:33 PM
I don't know. Why did SJ Green have to stay on the practice roster in Montreal for 2 years while Eric Deslauriers started?

You're serious there? Green was never competing with Deslauriers for playing time with the Als, unless in some sort of general receiver sense ? And Deslauriers was rarely a full-time starting receiver for the Als; more like a back-up and sometimes 5th receiver (wide-side WR) who never had that many passes thrown his way. Green has always been a CFL slotback (far as I remember).

And maybe the Als coaches and personnel evaluators were a bit clueless with SJ Green and not seeing what a talent he was for 2 years; or maybe Green did need some time to "develop" (OMG - i thought that was just for inferior Canadians?) When he got to play it was clear he was a real receiver talent; unlike Paden, who showed how mediocre he was with Ottawa; and then gets brought to the Argos and handed more playing time.

AngeloV
08-22-2017, 01:48 PM
You're serious there? Green was never competing with Deslauriers for playing time with the Als, unless in some sort of general receiver sense ? And Deslauriers was rarely a full-time starting receiver for the Als; more like a back-up and sometimes 5th receiver (wide-side WR) who never had that many passes thrown his way. Green has always been a CFL slotback (far as I remember).

And maybe the Als coaches and personnel evaluators were a bit clueless with SJ Green and not seeing what a talent he was for 2 years; or maybe Green did need some time to "develop" (OMG - i thought that was just for inferior Canadians?) When he got to play it was clear he was a real receiver talent; unlike Paden, who showed how mediocre he was with Ottawa; and then gets brought to the Argos and handed more playing time.

Still getting paid game cheques rather than practice roster money. And coaches aren't clueless as you seem to think they are. But hey, they only see the players up close every day. Why would they know better than you? I guess that goes for O'Shea too, since he only starts 7 Nationals.

Fact is there are a lot of players that aren't playing in the league because they don't have the papers to deem them as Nationals. I have no problem whatsoever with that, and in fact would like to see a change in the rules to make it mandatory to have a minimum of 4 Nationals on the field at all times (Offence, Defence and Special teams). That would mean a minimum of 8 starters rather than 7.

Just tired of seeing you post the same crap on here day in and day out. A huge reason why I don't post nearly as much as I used to.

OV Argo
08-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Still getting paid game cheques rather than practice roster money. And coaches aren't clueless as you seem to think they are. But hey, they only see the players up close every day. Why would they know better than you? I guess that goes for O'Shea too, since he only starts 7 Nationals.

Fact is there are a lot of players that aren't playing in the league because they don't have the papers to deem them as Nationals. I have no problem whatsoever with that, and in fact would like to see a change in the rules to make it mandatory to have a minimum of 4 Nationals on the field at all times (Offence, Defence and Special teams). That would mean a minimum of 8 starters rather than 7.

Just tired of seeing you post the same crap on here day in and day out. A huge reason why I don't post nearly as much as I used to.

Why don't you take a hike then with your cry-babying here and getting all insulted with opinions you don't like to hear - funny that you get away with labelling other posters as clowns or "crap", when I don't see anybody else here resorting to constant insults.. See ya - pompous know-it-all homer.

BATKINSON001
08-22-2017, 03:21 PM
hey guys, getting real tired of the infighting bullshit here. It is crap like that that drives people away. I would be gone too, after 8 years, if this wasn't the ONLY active argos specific discussion site out there.

Neely2005
08-22-2017, 03:27 PM
Why don't you guys take your pissing matches to Private Messages?

AngeloV
08-22-2017, 03:30 PM

This was my original post which started this. I find nothing offensive about it.

gilthethrill
08-22-2017, 03:49 PM

Maybe I am the one who started it. Sorry, I love OV but some of his comments really come across as it CFL staffs are anti Canadian player. I may be wrong in saying this but sometimes it seems he tries to incite arguments.

paulwoods13
08-22-2017, 05:05 PM
Nailed it, gilthethrill.

paulwoods13
08-22-2017, 05:09 PM
Now back to the topic at hand. As good a year as Coombs is having, I think it will be easier to survive this loss than might seem evident. He is usually not on the field when we have either Jamal Campbell or Declan Cross out there, and lately we have had at least one of those guys on the field more than half the time. Between the tight end or double tight formations, those two will take most of coombs' reps, with Ralph and maybe Jones getting the rest. Ralph looks like a player and Jones at least has potential.

doubleblue
08-22-2017, 08:59 PM
I noticed Cross and Williams alternating most of the game. Jamal Campbell played a lot in the game as a TE which made a difference in the protection for Ricky IMO. I believe he rotated with Coombs, Fuller and later in the game Ralph. They sure keep him in shape running on and off the field. There is no doubt they are grooming him to eventually replace Van Zeyl.
Good to see the young Canadian players working their way into the line up. Would like to see them sneak Noel in there once in a while and let Ricky air it out to him. To me, from the little I've seen of him, Noel looks like one of those guys that have the natural ability to get separation when it counts on a deep ball.

paulwoods13
08-22-2017, 09:17 PM
The Argos use six o-linemen more than any other team, and I'm fine with that. Give Ricky max protection.

OV Argo
08-22-2017, 10:16 PM
Maybe I am the one who started it. Sorry, I love OV but some of his comments really come across as it CFL staffs are anti Canadian player. I may be wrong in saying this but sometimes it seems he tries to incite arguments.

You didn't "start" anything gill, other than making a comment that I responded to. Don't see you referring to my opinions or comments or me as "crap" or moron or clown.

If you or others are big Paden fans, it's IMO great to hear actual football evidence as to why - guy has great hands, runs great routes, blocks really well, etc. And if I disagree and believe other receivers available to the Argos are better, i'll respond with reasons why; without labelling your opinion as garbage.

And CFL "staffs" always have maximum number or imports and minimum number of non-imports dressed for games; PRs also feature way more import players than Canadians (those 2 things are pretty well fact). And most CFL teams - with exceptions here and there of course - go out of their way to usually "start" only the minimum required 7 NI players. Is this "anti Canadian player" ? - maybe not at all, or, could be construed that there is bias = it's a matter of opinion (IMO ;o)), but it's hard to deny that's the way CFL roster thinking & numbers work now.

Wobbler
08-22-2017, 10:42 PM
OV, if you need to use scare quotes five times in one message, that should prompt some reflection. I've noticed that you have dialed back your use of certain over-used buzzwords, though, and I'm grateful.

Angelo, do you really post here less often than before because of OV? He hasn't changed much, as far as I can see; have you become more sensitive? I ask because I've had the opposite experience - in the past I was annoyed by OV's one-note contributions but at this point it seems like part of the Argofans experience.

argolio
08-23-2017, 12:20 AM
One thing I don't get about OV's endless outrage over the "only 7 need apply" deal: whether the rules permitted a maximum of 3 (or whatever it originally was) American starters or the current 17, when have teams ever not played the maximum or close to it? What's so different about this concept now compared to 10, 30, or 50 years ago?

AngeloV
08-23-2017, 10:34 AM
Angelo, do you really post here less often than before because of OV? He hasn't changed much, as far as I can see; have you become more sensitive? I ask because I've had the opposite experience - in the past I was annoyed by OV's one-note contributions but at this point it seems like part of the Argofans experience.

I used OV as an example. There are a few things that have made me post less. Scott, Shirley or Pete (can't wait for the next one) got roasted on here (and deservedly so) for posting the same thing over and over and over again. We get it. American coaches have a bias against Canadian players. But when you point out the Canadian coaches basically using the same philosophy re: the ratio, they are termed as brainwashed GOB types.

OV Argo
08-23-2017, 11:52 AM
One thing I don't get about OV's endless outrage over the "only 7 need apply" deal: whether the rules permitted a maximum of 3 (or whatever it originally was) American starters or the current 17, when have teams ever not played the maximum or close to it? What's so different about this concept now compared to 10, 30, or 50 years ago?

Look up Teddy Morris in Argo/CFL history.

CFL roster thinking & deployment is a matter of choice by those who get to make the call. There are lots of potential choices fora 40 some man CFL roster.

And Ottawa won the GC last season with basically, or at least 10 or 11 NI "starters" or guys playing plenty on O & D.

argolio
08-24-2017, 01:27 AM
There was no CFL when Teddy Morris ran the Argos. IRFU and WIFU were independent leagues. WIFU teams had limited access to the best Canadian players, most of whom back then came from eastern schools. That's why they started signing American players after the war. A big reason the two leagues merged in the mid 50s was to standardize roster rules.

"CFL roster thinking & deployment is a matter of choice by those who get to make the call."

That's bad? And if it shouldn't be a matter of choice by those who were hired to make the call, then what?

Wobbler
08-24-2017, 01:46 AM
Scott, Shirley or Pete (can't wait for the next one) got roasted on here (and deservedly so) for posting the same thing over and over and over again.
You aren't the only one who grew weary.

OV Argo
08-24-2017, 06:14 PM
There was no CFL when Teddy Morris ran the Argos. IRFU and WIFU were independent leagues. WIFU teams had limited access to the best Canadian players, most of whom back then came from eastern schools. That's why they started signing American players after the war. A big reason the two leagues merged in the mid 50s was to standardize roster rules.

"CFL roster thinking & deployment is a matter of choice by those who get to make the call."

That's bad? And if it shouldn't be a matter of choice by those who were hired to make the call, then what?

Of course roster decisions have to be a choice of those who are in charge. My point is, with regards to Canadian football talent, there are lots of choices and possibilities. There was the Teddy Morris way; there was the way of the CFL American teams expansion era - where zero Canadian players even got an invite to try-out for those teams in the CANADIAN Football League; or there was the way the Ottawa RedBlacks ended going last year - and the result was a Grey Cup win - giving way more playing time to Canadian players than other CFL teams. And just who - background, biases, where they come from, where they learned their football - is in charge, is obviously a huge factor in decisions on who makes the roster and gets to play.

And of course the league itself gets to set the rules that the team decision makers are governed by in roster possibliites. You do realize the way the CFL has evolved there in more recent times; to the point now where team decision makers can have a majority of import/American players on their rosters (that's if they choose to - and they always go with the maximum number of imports now; unlike Teddy Morris who chose another possibility).

Are you having trouble with these couple of points? You don't get them or you disagree ? Not sure what your point is ?

ArgoGabe22
08-24-2017, 08:22 PM
Are you having trouble with these couple of points? You don't get them or you disagree ? Not sure what your point is ?

Can't we just have a discussion? No need to always go after the person you're replying to.

OV Argo
08-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Can't we just have a discussion? No need to always go after the person you're replying to.

Wasn't meaning to go after argolio threre - just asking questions. Like he was of my posts.

Not sure this subject is worth discussing further here anyways.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8