PDA

View Full Version : NFL airlift commences

Will
09-10-2017, 11:53 AM
http://3downnation.com/2017/09/10/argos-sign-db-mitchell-white/

The first is Mitchell White who is a good acquistion! We need some depth back there badly!

doubleblue
09-10-2017, 12:15 PM
He played very well for Ottawa last year.

Wobbler
09-10-2017, 12:17 PM
gilthethrill called it, and I'm sure he'll be happy.

This does seem like a good pickup.

Argo57
09-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Nice signing by Popp!!

gilthethrill
09-10-2017, 02:45 PM
gilthethrill called it, and I'm sure he'll be happy.

This does seem like a good pickup.

A blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally.

gilthethrill
09-10-2017, 02:46 PM
He played very well for Ottawa last year.

Actually, he played very well for Montreal before that, but Popp was the GM in Montreal when he was cut there.

R.J
09-10-2017, 04:59 PM
I love this signing, provided that White doesn't come back with "NFLitis".

doubleblue
09-10-2017, 08:09 PM

I don't think he was there long enough for that to happen.

Argo
09-11-2017, 05:35 PM
Back in the day, IIRC, NFL airlifts actually did manage to bring in a respectable number of replacements that seemed to fit in and play well quickly enough to help.

Argo57
09-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Back in the day, IIRC, NFL airlifts actually did manage to bring in a respectable number of replacements that seemed to fit in and play well quickly enough to help.

Ottawa was famous for this back in the 1970's and early 80's.

AngeloV
09-11-2017, 05:47 PM

Things have changed with the salary cap. Hard to add a number of what would be higher priced players at this time of year now. Probably a good thing. The key now is finding the 1 or 2 guys that might actually make a difference.

Jon Gonzo
09-11-2017, 09:20 PM

Notice how it's killed Marcus Ball. NFL-itis is usually when one has to put on weight to cope with the NFL position they're moving into. Or, they simply come back as damaged goods. This is a great signing. He was a big part of Ottawa's Grey Cup last season and I look forward to a D-Backfield of White - AK on the Corners/ Sears and Rico at Half/ and Black and Gabe at S. Let the best man be the extra American DB. Probably Harris.

OV Argo
09-11-2017, 10:43 PM
Ottawa was famous for this back in the 1970's and early 80's.

George Brancato days maybe; before that, an NFL cut would be lucky to be good enough to make the powerhouse Riders of the late 60s.

Argos history have always, IMO, been league leaders in NFL air-lift saviour types to be brought in for $hitty teams - and handed playing time after a day or two in camp; often embarrassing and a slap in the face IMO to roster guys/back-ups who had been with the team from TC on in and were given no real shot to play, yet an NFL cut superstar gets handed playing time right away. Have to understand the "thinking" behind those kind of roster moves. However, I'm all for signing talented NFL cut players and having a look at them AND letting them earn playing time on the TEAM.

ArgoRavi
09-12-2017, 12:41 AM
Things have changed with the salary cap. Hard to add a number of what would be higher priced players at this time of year now. Probably a good thing. The key now is finding the 1 or 2 guys that might actually make a difference.

Furthermore, the offensive and defensive systems are much more complex today than they were 30 or 40 years ago. Players need time to learn the system/league so these airlift players often are waiting several weeks to get into the lineup and/or are being looked at more for the following season. White will probably get in much sooner, like this week, because of his previous experience in the CFL.

argolio
09-12-2017, 12:54 AM
When was the last time a team did a real NFL airlift? 80s? 70s?

Rich
09-12-2017, 04:01 AM
I look forward to a D-Backfield of White - AK on the Corners/ Sears and Rico at Half/ and Black and Gabe at S. Let the best man be the extra American DB. Probably Harris.

Alden Darby got burned on the big Banks TD but I thought he made some excellent plays otherwise, I think he's got a chance to be a good one.

AngeloV
09-12-2017, 10:22 AM
Alden Darby got burned on the big Banks TD but I thought he made some excellent plays otherwise, I think he's got a chance to be a good one.

Agreed. I hope they don't just give up on a guy like that.

Footballdude
09-12-2017, 01:32 PM
I find the wording NFL Airlift as just another negative shot at the CFL by some and the media. Perhaps back in the day, but even then the numbers are small. The last weekend before the start of the NFL season, 1,000 players were NFL cuts, really how many will go on to play in the CFL this year. I mean to really hit the field, not a PR spot or play 1 game, i would say out of the 1,000 perhaps 20. Not much of a Airlift

doubleblue
09-12-2017, 01:52 PM
Argos sign LB Akeem Jordan 6'1 255. 100 game veteran of the NFL. Does this mean The Bear is concussed again.

gilthethrill
09-12-2017, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=doubleblue;115779]Argos sign LB Akeem Jordan 6'1 255. 100 game veteran of the NFL. Does this mean The Bear is concussed again.[/QUOTE

Could be a rush end candidate similar to Butler.

AngeloV
09-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Argos sign LB Akeem Jordan 6'1 255. 100 game veteran of the NFL. Does this mean The Bear is concussed again.

Bear looked to be pretty good at practice today.

gilthethrill
09-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Bear looked to be pretty good at practice today.

Nice to hear...any other notable news to pass along? Was Lemon at practise at all? As for Jordan, he is 32 and out of football for a couple seasons. Wonder if he may provide depth if Lemon is gone for now extended period of time?

AngeloV
09-12-2017, 08:23 PM
Nice to hear...any other notable news to pass along? Was Lemon at practise at all? As for Jordan, he is 32 and out of football for a couple seasons. Wonder if he may provide depth if Lemon is gone for now extended period of time?

No Lemon. Will not play this week for sure. Marcus Ball, SJ Green and Brandon Harris all missing. Read they were home in Florida because of the hurricane. Butler, Laing and Sears all practicing and looking healthy.

gilthethrill
09-12-2017, 08:28 PM
No Lemon. Will not play this week for sure. Marcus Ball, SJ Green and Brandon Harris all missing. Read they were home in Florida because of the hurricane. Butler, Laing and Sears all practicing and looking healthy.

Thanks for the update sir. If Laing even so much as breaths on Mike Reilly Saturday, he will be unfairly dubbed a dirty player yet again. Argos could have a very strong D on the field. Look forward to seeing the game live.

Shatto
09-12-2017, 11:03 PM
Jordon's signing raises a number of questions around age, playing condition and character. He is 32, hasn't played since 2014 and that was only for 2 games on special teams and it has been reported that he has been arrested twice for assault.

Hopefully he has stayed in shape and is hungry to prove he can still play but the signing does seem like a bit of a long shot and perhaps another example of Popp's fascination of former NFL stars.

Personally, I would have preferred giving Foster or Walker a chance at DE. Maybe Jordon will prove my concerns to ne unfounded. We will wait and see.

OV Argo
09-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Jordon's signing raises a number of questions around age, playing condition and character. He is 32, hasn't played since 2014 and that was only for 2 games on special teams and it has been reported that he has been arrested twice for assault.

Hopefully he has stayed in shape and is hungry to prove he can still play but the signing does seem like a bit of a long shot and perhaps another example of Popp's fascination of former NFL stars.

Personally, I would have preferred giving Foster or Walker a chance at DE. Maybe Jordon will prove my concerns to ne unfounded. We will wait and see.

If Foster continues to get no shot at DE - now with Lemon out too along with Butler = guess they don't think much of him so far, or else maybe Popp or Chamblin feel a NI should not be playing at DE ? Maybe he was drafted just for special teams ?

Wobbler
09-12-2017, 11:35 PM
Thanks Angelo. Feel free to *assume* that we're interested in hearing this stuff, by the way! ;)

No Owusu-Ansah?

AngeloV
09-13-2017, 01:51 AM
Thanks Angelo. Feel free to *assume* that we're interested in hearing this stuff, by the way! ;)

No Owusu-Ansah?

AK was also practicing.

doubleblue
09-13-2017, 07:45 AM

The fact that he hasn't played in two years and is 32 kind of sets off alarm bells. Is it here we go again with aged NFLers thinking they can come in a star in the CFL. As far as the assault, from what I read it was a locker room fight. That's never happened before. lol

7dj83r8f78t4alf8