PDA

View Full Version : Uniforms

timlb01
09-16-2017, 11:47 AM
Quick question, is there any way to know what uniforms a team is going to wear prior to the game? For example what are the double blue going to be wearing today and is it possible to find out before you see them on the field?

Stevoman
09-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Good question but I haven't seen them advertise in advance. I enjoy the various combinations this season though. Every look is sharp.

Stevoman
09-16-2017, 08:31 PM
First win with the blue helmets this year. Today was my favourite uniform combination of blue helmet and pants with the white jersey.

ArgoGabe22
09-16-2017, 09:47 PM
Why on earth are we wearing whites at home?

ArgoRavi
09-16-2017, 10:54 PM

When was the last time that the blue jerseys were worn? Against Calgary in early August?

gilthethrill
09-16-2017, 11:26 PM
Quick question, is there any way to know what uniforms a team is going to wear prior to the game? For example what are the double blue going to be wearing today and is it possible to find out before you see them on the field?

Trying to coordinate your GameDay wardrobe with the teams buddy?

Argocister
09-17-2017, 12:17 AM
I liked the helmets today. Have we worn those before today? .... or maybe just live they seem to stand out with the light blue stripe.

paulwoods13
09-17-2017, 07:09 AM
I've wanted the Argos to wear white jerseys at home for years. We get to see more colourful unis on the opposition, and our whites always look sharp. Yesterday's look, with dark helmets and pants, is excellent. The one change that would make it close to perfect would be to add the Cambridge Blue socks. They've been worn only once this year, at the home game against Mtl but in that case it was with white pants.

Will
09-17-2017, 09:16 AM

Doing what the Cowboys, Dolphins and Redskins do?

timlb01
09-17-2017, 10:57 AM

For sure. I would have put on the blue shorts with the white jersey.... one day you'll see me at the game with a full on with equipment and helmet on :). I just would like to know what they are going to do for each game. How is this all determined? I has to be in advance as Edmonton bought there home uniforms out east.

I agree with Paul would have like to see some Cambridge blue in the socks.... then this is a pretty amazing combination.

timlb01
09-18-2017, 04:37 PM
So it appears no one knows how to find out in advance. That is disappointing. Is it the same for all teams I wonder?

gilthethrill
09-18-2017, 05:01 PM
For sure. I would have put on the blue shorts with the white jersey.... one day you'll see me at the game with a full on with equipment and helmet on :). I just would like to know what they are going to do for each game. How is this all determined? I has to be in advance as Edmonton bought there home uniforms out east.

I agree with Paul would have like to see some Cambridge blue in the socks.... then this is a pretty amazing combination.

In case you have not been told, you rock the Don Moen jersey!

paulwoods13
09-18-2017, 06:58 PM
So it appears no one knows how to find out in advance. That is disappointing. Is it the same for all teams I wonder?

Officials from the Argos read this forum. So here's an idea for them to consider: put the uni combo for each game (jerseys, pants, helmets) in the Game Notes that get distributed online the day before the game. I personally don't mind being surprised (as long as it's not an ugly combo like the white pants/white socks look) but some fans would like to co-ordinate their own outfits with the team's outfit.

timlb01
09-18-2017, 07:20 PM
In case you have not been told, you rock the Don Moen jersey!

Thanks!!! I love see people wearing the players of the past. Its also cool to see people wear ones that are not common.

ArgoGabe22
09-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Thanks!!! I love see people wearing the players of the past. Its also cool to see people wear ones that are not common.

I love the old stuff, saw some cool guy with an old Terry Greer jersey.

gilthethrill
09-18-2017, 08:13 PM

I saw the same young man on Saturday Gabe!

timlb01
09-18-2017, 08:46 PM

That is cool. I thought about doing a Greer jersey. Maybe next time. I have been thinking recently about Harold Hallman. That would be a fun too. People don't think about him much. RIP Hallman.

Rich
09-19-2017, 02:16 AM
Someone should make a poll listing all the possible combinations of blue and white helmets, jerseys and pants, and people can vote for their favourite combo. I'm prepared to make a stand for white helmets, blue jerseys and white pants.

paulwoods13
09-19-2017, 05:18 AM
Great idea, Rich, but any such poll needs to include socks as well. They're hugely important imo. I love all of our colour combinations but absolutely detest the "pyjama bottoms" look (when pants and socks are the same colour).

mchesher03
09-19-2017, 08:15 AM
Am I the only one who likes those baby blue socks? I’d vote for them every time with the white jerseys.

RB957
09-19-2017, 09:44 AM
Am I the only one who likes those baby blue socks? I’d vote for them every time with the white jerseys.

No, you are definitely not the only one. I love them too, especially with the white helmets.

paulwoods13
09-19-2017, 10:09 AM

Those socks (which are Cambridge Blue, not "baby" or "powder" blue as they are often described) are outstanding and I really hope we get to see them with both sets of pants. As noted above, I detest the unitard/pyjama look, so IMO it's essential to have socks that don't match the pants colour. The Cambridge socks work with both pants. Second-best alternative is Oxford pants/white socks or white pants/Oxford socks. Second-worst is Oxford pants/Oxford socks and worst, by a million miles, is white pants/white socks. Those make the players look like they are wearing support hose.

I still believe the best look involves three layers: pants, upper (coloured) socks and lower (white) socks. But the Argos seem to have eliminated lower socks altogether, so whatever is below the knee goes all the way to the shoes. Hence the pyjama look if the pants and socks are the same colour.

timlb01
09-19-2017, 11:26 AM

I like them a lot too. Should be the colour of the socks all the time. I pretty certain Paul loves them too. More use of the Cambridge blue would be nice overall.

jerrym
09-20-2017, 12:29 AM
More use of the Cambridge blue would be nice overall.

The more blue the better IMO.

Jamiedykstra
09-20-2017, 02:29 PM
all blue, head to toe this week!

R.J
09-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Love this look.

gilthethrill
09-20-2017, 03:17 PM
Love this look.

I find the solid blue look the least appealing

Will
09-20-2017, 03:28 PM
I find the solid blue look the least appealing

Can't satisfy everyone.

gilthethrill
09-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Can't satisfy everyone.

Was not looking to be "satisfied", simply replying to RJ my opinion.

AngeloV
09-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Love this look.

I like it too.

paulwoods13
09-20-2017, 04:57 PM
Love this look.

Hate this look with a passion. Pyjamas.

Argo57
09-20-2017, 06:29 PM

On a positive note quite slimming!!

PullTogether73
09-20-2017, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the info Jaime!

As someone suggested earlier in this thread, perhaps this info could be included in the pre-game e-mail sent to subscribers.
Yes, some of us have both blue and white jerseys, and would like to match the jerseys worn on that game day.

Stevoman
09-20-2017, 10:57 PM
I actually enjoy all of the combinations simply because with these colours there is no really bad mix. One look we've yet to see this season though is the blue helmet, blue jersey, with white pants.

Rich
09-21-2017, 01:21 AM

I don't feel quite so strongly about it, but i will add that the all-blue is my least favourite combo as well. They look like a bunch of eggplants on the field.

paulwoods13
09-21-2017, 08:28 AM
I compiled a database of uni combos this season:

<colgroup><col span="2"><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
Gm
Opp
Site
Res
Hmt
Jers
Pts
Sks

Pre1
Mtl
H
W
W
B
B
W

Pre2
Ham
A
W
W
B
B
W

Ham
H
W
W
B
W
O

BC
H
L
B
B
B
O

Ott
A
W
W
W
W
W

Wpg
A
L
B
W
B
O

Ott
H
W
W
B
W
W

Sask
A
L
W
W
W
W

Cal
H
L
W
B
W
W

Mtl
A
L
B
W
B
O

Mtl
H
W
W
W
W
C

Cal
A
L
W
W
W
C

Ham
A
L
W
W
B
O

Edm
H
W
B
W
B
O

</tbody>

Not counting preseason, our records are as follows:

Blue helmet 1-3
White helmet 4-4

Blue jersey 2-2
White jersey 3-5

Blue pants 1-4
White pants 4-3

White socks 2-2
Oxford socks 2-4
Cambridge socks 1-1

Neely2005
09-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Interesting, thanks for compiling that Paul. Though personally I don't buy into the silly superstition that wins are tied to uniform colour.

paulwoods13
09-21-2017, 12:58 PM
By my calculation, there are 24 potential combos available:

<colgroup><col span="4"></colgroup><tbody>
Helmet
Jersey
Pants
Socks

White
White
White
White

White
White
White
Oxford

White
White
White
Cambridge

White
Blue
White
White

White
Blue
White
Oxford

White
Blue
White
Cambridge

White
White
Blue
White

White
White
Blue
Oxford

White
White
Blue
Cambridge

White
Blue
Blue
White

White
Blue
Blue
Oxford

White
Blue
Blue
Cambridge

Blue
White
White
White

Blue
White
White
Oxford

Blue
White
White
Cambridge

Blue
Blue
White
White

Blue
Blue
White
Oxford

Blue
Blue
White
Cambridge

Blue
White
Blue
White

Blue
White
Blue
Oxford

Blue
White
Blue
Cambridge

Blue
Blue
Blue
White

Blue
Blue
Blue
Oxford

Blue
Blue
Blue
Cambridge

</tbody>

I generally dislike the first three (white/white/white/x) and the last three (blue/blue/blue/x) because of the monochromatic nature of those. I also dislike combos that have the same colour pants and socks, which reduces the list by a further six. So there are 12 combos I would like the team to choose among at all times. I don't expect to get my way any time soon. :-)

My strongest preferences would be for:

white helmet/white jersey/blue pants/Cambridge socks (the 1991-94 "road" look)
blue helmet/blue jersey/white pants/Oxford socks (the traditional "home" look)

PullTogether73
09-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Slow day at work Paul?:D:p

(Actually, I DO appreciate that you did this research. I can't imagine how much time it took to do it though.)

PullTogether73
09-21-2017, 01:04 PM
I actually enjoy all of the combinations simply because with these colours there is no really bad mix.

I agree with this statement.
Plus, I like that the team is mixing up the combinations each game.

paulwoods13
09-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Slow day at work Paul?:D:p

(Actually, I DO appreciate that you did this research. I can't imagine how much time it took to do it though.)

Only took 15 minutes or so -- I just went through the News section of the Argo website which has recaps of each game. I'm gonna try to maintain this database going forward.

Jon Gonzo
09-22-2017, 07:56 AM
Only took 15 minutes or so -- I just went through the News section of the Argo website which has recaps of each game. I'm gonna try to maintain this database going forward.

Is there a home/away style(s) that the team generally defers to? It may be worth adding that to your columns to break it down for posterity.

paulwoods13
09-22-2017, 11:07 AM
Is there a home/away style(s) that the team generally defers to? It may be worth adding that to your columns to break it down for posterity.

Not sure I know what you mean. There seems to be no pattern whatsoever this year. They have worn different combos at home and on the road, including white jerseys at home which has been exceedingly rare until this year.

Jon Gonzo
09-22-2017, 12:07 PM
Not sure I know what you mean. There seems to be no pattern whatsoever this year. They have worn different combos at home and on the road, including white jerseys at home which has been exceedingly rare until this year.

no pattern then, that's all I was trying to discern from your chart. Very well & thanks. I would, personally, like to see more of a pattern. I like the dark helmets the most but other than that all I knew was they were changing things up and awful lot.

PullTogether73
09-22-2017, 11:52 PM
I support the changing-things-up-regularly theme the Argos have employed this year.:hug:

Rich
09-23-2017, 03:32 AM
white helmet/white jersey/blue pants/Cambridge socks (the 1991-94 "road" look)

They didn't wear white helmets in 91-94, did they? Correct me if I'm wrong, but until recent years the last time the Argos wore white helmets was in 1968.

paulwoods13
09-23-2017, 08:47 AM
They didn't wear white helmets in 91-94, did they? Correct me if I'm wrong, but until recent years the last time the Argos wore white helmets was in 1968.

That's correct, Rich. I misspoke. It's really the pants/socks look I'm most concerned about as I like both of our helmets with either jersey.

timlb01
09-23-2017, 11:11 AM

Got my Oxford hat, oxford jersey and oxford shorts all ready for tonight.... hope you can co-ordinate too Dean. Only question is what socks will we be wearing?????? This is why I am going sockless.....

paulwoods13
11-05-2017, 04:23 PM
Now that the regular season is over, here's a breakdown of the uni combos:

All white was used most often, four times, all away games. Argos were 3-1 in this combo.
Blue helmet, white jersey, blue pants, Oxford socks was worn three times, all away games. 1-2 record.
White/Blue/White/Oxford worn twice, both at home. 1-1 record.
Blue/Blue/Blue/Oxford worn twice, both at home. 1-1 record.
White/Blue/White/White worn twice, both at home. 1-1 record.
White/White/White/Cambridge worn twice, home and away. 1-1 record.
White/White/Blue/Oxford worn once, away. 0-1 record.
Blue/White/Blue/White worn once, away. 0-1 record.
White/Blue/White/Cambridge worn once, at home. 1-0 record.

Among individual components:
Helmet: Blue 2-4, White 7-5
Jersey: Blue 4-3, White 5-6
Pants: Blue 2-5, White 7-4
Socks: Oxford 3-5, Cambridge 2-1, White 4-3

So if you were to subscribe to "dress for success," the optimum combo is likely white helmet, blue jersey, white pants and either Cambridge or White socks.

The one look I was really hoping to see -- blue helmet, white jersey, blue pants, Cambridge socks -- has not been tried yet.

ArgoZ
11-05-2017, 04:53 PM
Nice research Paul. Crazy that we have not seen the traditional blue helmet, blue jersey and white pants combo.

gilthethrill
11-05-2017, 05:17 PM
Nice research Paul. Crazy that we have not seen the traditional blue helmet, blue jersey and white pants combo.

Paul also knows the thread count of the different coloured Argo jerseys.

timlb01
11-13-2017, 11:37 AM
So what will we be wearing for the Eastern Final against the Riders? My guess is white pants and helmet with oxford jerseys. I hope they wear the cambridge socks but I would say they will not.

paulwoods13
11-13-2017, 11:46 AM
My first choice would be blue helmet, white jersey, blue pants, Cambridge socks. Second would be blue helmet, blue jersey, white pants, Cambridge socks.

Haven't seen either of those looks this season.

If they are going on the results to date for each component, it will white helmet, blue jersey, white pants, Cambridge or white socks.

AngeloV
11-13-2017, 04:01 PM
So what will we be wearing for the Eastern Final against the Riders? My guess is white pants and helmet with oxford jerseys. I hope they wear the cambridge socks but I would say they will not.

I'm guessing they will be wearing Blue helmets this week. The photo I saw from yesterday's practice had them wearing the blue helmets, and they've worn the same helmet on game day that they have worn on practice week leading up to every game this season. I hope they go blue head to toe this week. I love that look.

paulwoods13
11-13-2017, 04:09 PM
I hope they go blue head to toe this week. I love that look.

Dear God, please no! Some contrast somewhere, even if it's just the socks. I detest the pyjama look.

AngeloV
11-13-2017, 04:13 PM
Dear God, please no! Some contrast somewhere, even if it's just the socks. I detest the pyjama look.

I don't see it as a pyjama look. I see it as a menacing look, and I love it.

R.J
11-13-2017, 04:22 PM
I hope they go blue head to toe this week. I love that look.
You and me both. All oxford looks great, I'd also like to see maybe some Cambridge blue socks added to the look.

Joe Barnes
11-13-2017, 07:12 PM
You and me both. All oxford looks great, I'd also like to see maybe some Cambridge blue socks added to the look.

How about the classic Oxford blue helmet and jersey, white pants and Cambridge blue socks? If not, then all Oxford with Cambridge socks (menacing, with a touch of class...).

Stevoman
11-13-2017, 10:58 PM
I too saw practice footage this week with the blue helmet so that's likely what they'll wear. It's my favourite Argo helmet of all time so i'm good with it. Would like to see it with the blue jersey and white pants though as that hasn't happened all year.

paulwoods13
11-30-2017, 01:13 PM
Here's the final tally, including postseason and regular-season games:

All Oxford was worn four times (3 home + Grey Cup): 1-1 in season, 2-0 in postseason.
All white was worn four times (4 away): 3-1.
Blue helmet, white jersey, blue pants, Oxford socks was worn three times (3 away): 1-2.
White/Blue/White/Oxford was worn twice (2 home): 1-1.
White/Blue/White/White was worn twice (2 home): 1-1.
White/White/White/Cambridge was worn twice (1 home, 1 away): 1-1.
White/White/Blue/Oxford was worn once (1 away): 0-1.
Blue/White/Blue/White was worn once (1 away): 0-1.
White/Blue/White/Cambridge was worn once (1 home): 1-0.

Among individual components:
Helmet: Blue 4-4, White 7-5
Jersey: Blue 6-3, White 5-6
Pants: Blue 4-5, White 7-4
Socks: Oxford 5-5, Cambridge 2-1, White 4-3

ArgoGabe22
11-30-2017, 01:31 PM
I guess we should always wear the All Oxford Blue pyjamas.

AngeloV
11-30-2017, 01:39 PM

Menacing!!

paulwoods13
11-30-2017, 02:08 PM

That look and all-white were both 3-1. My two least favourite looks, altho I hate all-white more than all-blue. The most successful combo based on individual components would appear to be white helmet, blue jersey, white pants and Cambridge socks. I'd like to see that look (as well as blue/blue/white/Oxford and blue/blue/white/Cambridge) at least once next year.

Argobouncer
11-30-2017, 02:09 PM
Dark blue helmets at home & on road, dark blue jerseys with white pants & socks at home. Dark blue pants along with white jersey & white socks & dark blue helmets looked great on road this year.

Add the boat logo to the jersey chest (not tramp stamp lower back EVER) or top of pants (front of hip).

R.J
11-30-2017, 02:18 PM
Keep the pajama look.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8