PDA

View Full Version : These TSN documentaries

Will
05-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Some of you have probably heard that TSN will be doing the series of documentaries that lead into the 100th Grey Cup in Toronto. One of the documentaries that will be aired is called Mavericks and is about the 1971 Toronto Argonaut team that lost the Grey Cup 14-11 to the Calgary Stampeders. Does this not concern anybody that what the Argos are going to be most well known for from these documentaries is the profile of a team that was unsuccessful in winning the Grey Cup. I know that this isn't necessarily the prime focus of these documentaries, but I think something about the 1982 and 1983 teams could be just as interesting and to boot we actually get a year where the team won the Grey Cup.

1argoholic
05-08-2012, 10:25 AM
I can't wait for the Rider one. How come they didn't go on and on about the Riders when they sucked year upon year and fans weren't buying everything coloured green in the province and showing up to games. We'll see how it tails off when the Riders hit the skids again.

paulwoods13
05-08-2012, 11:40 AM
The 1971 team -- in fact that entire era of Argo football, 1968-72 or so -- was probably the most colourful ever in the CFL. This is going to be a fascinating look at a very entertaining band of renegades. There are lots of other eras we remember fondly and/or appreciate looking back on, but the 1971 team is definitely worthy of this doc. And maybe this effort will somehow flush out a complete copy of the 1971 GC game -- it is the Holy Grail for CFL video collectors, as the only known copies all have the fourth quarter of the broadcast missing and replaced by the official film of that year's game.

c33
05-08-2012, 11:45 AM
We'll see how it tails off when the Riders hit the skids again.

Uhhh, they have hit the skids again.

gilthethrill
05-08-2012, 12:34 PM
The 1971 team -- in fact that entire era of Argo football, 1968-72 or so -- was probably the most colourful ever in the CFL. This is going to be a fascinating look at a very entertaining band of renegades. There are lots of other eras we remember fondly and/or appreciate looking back on, but the 1971 team is definitely worthy of this doc. And maybe this effort will somehow flush out a complete copy of the 1971 GC game -- it is the Holy Grail for CFL video collectors, as the only known copies all have the fourth quarter of the broadcast missing and replaced by the official film of that year's game.

When I worked with the son of the late Harry Abofs, he was kind enough to lend me a copy of the 71 Grey Cup game, along with his dads newspaper clippings, old contracts etc.

I am currently reading a book titled "Snake" written by Ken Stabler. Those old Oakland Raider teams may resemble those Argo teams from 68-72.

I hope the documentary covers how Leo Cahill enraged Miami HC Don Shula by signing Joe Thiesman.

1argoholic
05-08-2012, 01:15 PM
In Riderland they'll need a few more years of last place before the fans jump off the combine.

ArgoRavi
05-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Some of you have probably heard that TSN will be doing the series of documentaries that lead into the 100th Grey Cup in Toronto. One of the documentaries that will be aired is called Mavericks and is about the 1971 Toronto Argonaut team that lost the Grey Cup 14-11 to the Calgary Stampeders. Does this not concern anybody that what the Argos are going to be most well known for from these documentaries is the profile of a team that was unsuccessful in winning the Grey Cup. I know that this isn't necessarily the prime focus of these documentaries, but I think something about the 1982 and 1983 teams could be just as interesting and to boot we actually get a year where the team won the Grey Cup.

It bothers me to no end how the 1983 Argos are so uncelebrated today. This team won the Argos' first Grey Cup in 31 long years and yet the 25th anniversary of their victory went by with only an article or two written about them. The Argos themselves have done a very poor job recognizing this outstanding team.

As for the 1971 team, I can't wait to see that documentary.

paulwoods13
05-08-2012, 06:37 PM
It bothers me to no end how the 1983 Argos are so uncelebrated today. This team won the Argos' first Grey Cup in 31 long years and yet the 25th anniversary of their victory went by with only an article or two written about them. The Argos themselves have done a very poor job recognizing this outstanding team.

I'm betting the Argos will rectify that next year, on the 30th anniversary of that great squad.

Mulder
05-08-2012, 07:16 PM

As for the 1971 team, I can't wait to see that documentary.

My wife mentioned that a few years back (maybe the 25th? or maybe it was 20th) that for a certain game anyone born in 1983 got a free ticket to the game.

argolio
05-09-2012, 01:08 AM
Some of you have probably heard that TSN will be doing the series of documentaries that lead into the 100th Grey Cup in Toronto. One of the documentaries that will be aired is called Mavericks and is about the 1971 Toronto Argonaut team that lost the Grey Cup 14-11 to the Calgary Stampeders. Does this not concern anybody that what the Argos are going to be most well known for from these documentaries is the profile of a team that was unsuccessful in winning the Grey Cup. I know that this isn't necessarily the prime focus of these documentaries, but I think something about the 1982 and 1983 teams could be just as interesting and to boot we actually get a year where the team won the Grey Cup. Doesn't bother me. Sometimes teams that don't win it all are remembered more than teams that do. That '71 team had more bigger-than-life characters than any other Argo team, and probably more than any other team in CFL history.

In Riderland they'll need a few more years of last place before the fans jump off the combine.Whatever their team does on the field, I hope their fans never jump off the combine. They've been a big reason for the league's increasing stability in recent years.

KCargosfan
05-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Whatever their team does on the field, I hope their fans never jump off the combine. They've been a big reason for the league's increasing stability in recent years.

As a pure outsider, it would seem having Sask be competitive and thus having "Green Nation" alive is good for the league. Not only do they sellout their home games, they have to be responsible for attendance bumps in BC, Calgary and Edmonton. I think the league misses a huge attendance bump by not having Sask open on the road at Edmonton every year. You'd think that would be good for at least 50K every time.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8