PDA

View Full Version : GAME THREAD / Week 16 / Winning streak edition / Saskatchewan @ Toronto

Wobbler
10-05-2017, 11:19 AM
Frank says that Ball won't play this week and neither will Van Zeyl, but it turns out that the latter is only day-to-day (despite being on the 6 game IR). (ref (http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/03/argos-ball-sidelined-with-foot-injury))

Coombs is scheduled to come off the 6 game this week, but if he was going to play we probably would have heard something. Hopefully he'll go on the 1 game IR...

gilthethrill
10-05-2017, 12:16 PM
I think the D keeps Kevin Glenn off balanced and he has a "Kevin Glenn" type day. Argos won't need to force OT this week like they did in Hamilton last week handing the Cats that gut wrenching loss, their 10th on the season.

PullTogether73
10-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Not sure what to expect in this game.

Good Kevin Glenn? Bad Kevin Glenn?
Namaan Roosevelt is back for the Riders after missing last week's game in Ottawa.
Trent Richardson plays as running back for the first time in the CFL - how much does he know of the Riders' playbook, how much will he be used, and how effective will he be?

Plus, the Argos did not look good last week in Hamilton. But they never seem to look good in Hamilton, and this game is not in Hamilton.

timlb01
10-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Can the offence this week play more than a few minutes? Prior 2 games before Hamilton the offence played well for half the game. Again, don't know if this was due to the leads we held but I hope we show better consistency. It would be nice to see Coombs return but I think he may miss another game. I think we will find the defense tighten up and play better than they did last weekend. I am sure the players remember our last game against the Riders which will help motivate them. This game is going to be tight but watching the Ottawa game makes me like our chances.

ArgoGabe22
10-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Either way, we get to witness two future CFL HOF QB battling it out. Unless, of course, KG gets benched/injured.

R.J
10-05-2017, 02:41 PM
Either way, we get to witness two future CFL HOF QB battling it out. Unless, of course, KG gets benched/injured.
Should Glenn really be considered a future Hall of Famer though ?

AngeloV
10-05-2017, 02:44 PM

Don't worry Gabe. At least I got it.

Will
10-05-2017, 03:05 PM
Not sure what to expect in this game.

Good Kevin Glenn? Bad Kevin Glenn?
Namaan Roosevelt is back for the Riders after missing last week's game in Ottawa.
Trent Richardson plays as running back for the first time in the CFL - how much does he know of the Riders' playbook, how much will he be used, and how effective will he be?

Plus, the Argos did not look good last week in Hamilton. But they never seem to look good in Hamilton, and this game is not in Hamilton.

Greg from Piffles Podcast joined us on the fancast last night and mentioned that Glenn is still bothered by his hand so that may play a factor.

Chad Owens might even play.

R.J
10-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Ha, I forgot he was still in Saskatchewan.

Will
10-05-2017, 03:34 PM
The Riders vs the run have given up big yardage to Messam and Powell in the last two weeks. It will be vital that they get Wilder going as Saskatchewan is pretty good against the pass.

Argo57
10-05-2017, 07:34 PM
Greg from Piffles Podcast joined us on the fancast last night and mentioned that Glenn is still bothered by his hand so that may play a factor.

Chad who? 😛

RB957
10-05-2017, 09:10 PM
The Riders vs the run have given up big yardage to Messam and Powell in the last two weeks. It will be vital that they get Wilder going as Saskatchewan is pretty good against the pass.

Agreed. Hamilton was pretty effective at shutting Wilder down to a large extent, by effectively having their LB Larry Dean shadow Wilder the whole game. If Saskatchewan tries something similar we need to make sure we can counter that. I hope with his challenge on the line, he loses A LOT of money!

Wobbler
10-06-2017, 02:09 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Download this week&#39;s depth chart and game notes for our Saturday showdown with the <a href="https://twitter.com/sskroughriders?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@sskroughriders</a>.<br><br>🗒 ยป <a href="https://t.co/dlDUxGx2wI">https://t.co/dlDUxGx2wI</a> <a href="https://t.co/Y6yj0DEezB">pic.twitter.com/Y6yj0DEezB</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/916318871984005120?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 6, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Similar to last week. Hopefully Ball's absence won't hurt us too badly.

Neely2005
10-06-2017, 03:04 PM
Ball has been placed on the 6 Game Injured List.
:-(

Argo
10-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Ball has been placed on the 6 Game Injured List.
:-(

That hurts.

1971GreyCup
10-06-2017, 04:51 PM
Argos prepare for Saskatchewan Roughriders game today at Don Bosco HS. TheAthleticTO Sean Fitzgerald tweeted today:

In this tennis court are two CFL footballs and, soon, they will be joined by a football team, practising for a game.

No one will ever accuse Toronto of spoiling their CFL players!

1971GreyCup
10-06-2017, 04:58 PM
The Toronto Star is reporting the Bear Woods was sent to hospital and might miss Saturday's game.

https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/argos/2017/10/06/argos-keep-quiet-after-bear-woods-sent-to-hospital.html

doubleblue
10-06-2017, 05:16 PM
The Toronto Star is reporting the Bear Woods was sent to hospital and might miss Saturday's game.

https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/argos/2017/10/06/argos-keep-quiet-after-bear-woods-sent-to-hospital.html

Not sounding very good for The Bear this week. Murray moves into Ball's spot, which makes sense as he played there for Hamilton at times. Was hoping the AK would be back to replace Murray in the defensive back field. The offense looks to be intact.

Argo57
10-06-2017, 07:23 PM
Not sounding very good for The Bear this week. Murray moves into Ball's spot, which makes sense as he played there for Hamilton at times. Was hoping the AK would be back to replace Murray in the defensive back field. The offense looks to be intact.

Next man up, let's see what happens.

jerrym
10-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Here is the Riders' depth chart.

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2016/07/2017-Depth-Chart-Game-14-at-Toronto.pdf

AngeloV
10-07-2017, 01:50 PM
Argos prepare for Saskatchewan Roughriders game today at Don Bosco HS. TheAthleticTO Sean Fitzgerald tweeted today:

In this tennis court are two CFL footballs and, soon, they will be joined by a football team, practising for a game.

No one will ever accuse Toronto of spoiling their CFL players!

It's a damn walk through. Who the hell cares?

Argo57
10-07-2017, 02:34 PM

Devier Posey was interviewed on TSN1050 and commented on how good Trestman and his staff are at getting the team ready for each game no matter where they are.
Sounds like this group of players have bought in 100% and aren't bothered where they do their walk through.

1971GreyCup
10-07-2017, 02:35 PM

The Argos currently stay at Fairmont type hotels. I guess by your logic Motels 6's should do! It's just sleep.

Sean Fitzgerald shared it because he thought it was worth sharing. So did I.

Scooter McCray
10-07-2017, 02:49 PM
I thought this new ownership would create facilities and amenities that would attract and retain their talent. No football player worth his salt or coach is going to complain but these same owners give their other teams first class all the way. Why is this so hard when it comes to the Argos. BCE is a $22 billion organization.

Wobbler
10-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Sounds like Woods is out and Akeem Jordan is in. I'm sure Saskatchewan will test our makeshift LB corps with some runs and short crossing patterns...

Wobbler
10-07-2017, 04:56 PM
This is a confident looking Argo offense. Pretty much everything is working, and we're spreading the ball around nicely. We're making life easier for our D, which is a terrific idea.

Bleeds Double Blue
10-07-2017, 05:02 PM
Apparently Duron Carter's Dad was a player in the NFL. Did anyone else know this or just Rod Black and I?

Wobbler
10-07-2017, 05:07 PM
Ahhh! Who are these fools that just invaded the TSN broadcast?

https://s1.postimg.org/35gq4amaqj/Picture1.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/35gq4amaqj/)

Stevoman
10-07-2017, 05:17 PM
Argos look good in the first half (minus the last 2 mins) but really should be up by a lot more. They need to get 7's and not 3's in the second half.

Neely2005
10-07-2017, 05:18 PM
Getting tired of the Argonauts kneeling at the end of the first half when there's still enough time to run a couple of plays.

Argo57
10-07-2017, 05:27 PM
Argos look good in the first half (minus the last 2 mins) but really should be up by a lot more. They need to get 7's and not 3's in the second half.

Exactly, need to start finishing off drives with TD's.

Argo57
10-07-2017, 05:33 PM
Apparently Duron Carter's Dad was a player in the NFL. Did anyone else know this or just Rod Black and I?

Tiresome isn't it, he did the same with Wilder.

argotom
10-07-2017, 05:34 PM
This consistent inability to score TS's while in the red zone is troublesome and will likely cost us in the playoffs.

Argo57
10-07-2017, 06:01 PM
Bridge has an arm for sure, Argo D has no answer right now.

Neely2005
10-07-2017, 06:03 PM

Yeah not enough redzone success.

Bleeds Double Blue
10-07-2017, 06:05 PM
Tie game. Time for Big Mo to come over to our side. Let's go.

argotom
10-07-2017, 06:13 PM
Wow, Bridge has been awesome dissecting the DB's and it shows with no Woods and Ball.

Argo57
10-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Wow, Bridge has been awesome dissecting the DB's and it shows with no Woods and Ball.

No pass rush as well.

argotom
10-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Two point conversion, Bridge looks good and the kid is calm and very cool in the pocket.
Just like Buckley in Calgary these 2 Canadians are looking good for the future.

Neely2005
10-07-2017, 06:16 PM
This is a confident looking Argo offense. Pretty much everything is working, and we're spreading the ball around nicely. We're making life easier for our D, which is a terrific idea.

I must be watching a different Argonauts offense.

argotom
10-07-2017, 06:21 PM
Some of Ray's throws have been brutal.

jerrym
10-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Bridge looks more and more like he should be the QB of the rest of the season for the Riders, not simply the future.

Bleeds Double Blue
10-07-2017, 06:26 PM
What's the over under on how many times Rod Black says Air Canada? 30? 40?

Neely2005
10-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Enough with the penalties!

argotom
10-07-2017, 06:28 PM
What were the Als thinking when they gave up on Bridge?

jerrym
10-07-2017, 06:32 PM
Declan Cross is getting better with every game. I'd love to see him get a few carries though. With that 5'11" 230 lb body I think he could make the Argo ground game a little less predictable.

Wobbler
10-07-2017, 06:38 PM
I must be watching a different Argonauts offense.
Is it possible that our offense is more effective in some parts of games than others?

Bleeds Double Blue
10-07-2017, 06:45 PM
Call me Captain Obvious but Chris Jones must be none too happy with that objectional conduct penalty.

jerrym
10-07-2017, 06:46 PM
SJ comes through when we need him!

Stevoman
10-07-2017, 06:58 PM
Those missed opportunities for TD's in the first half bite the Argos in this one. If they had capitalized on even one of those, it would've been the difference. Credit to Bridge though, he played fantastic.

Bleeds Double Blue
10-07-2017, 07:01 PM
True enough Stevoman but 4 starters missing on defense hurt as well. Good game though.

jerrym
10-07-2017, 07:05 PM
True enough Stevoman but 4 starters missing on defense hurt as well. Good game though.

The missing may have helped prevent the three 10+ yards runs by Lafrance that was the deciding factor in the dying minutes.

Argo57
10-07-2017, 07:27 PM
Disappointing loss to say the least, simply not good enough in the second half.

argotom
10-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Bit of a concern when you think the past two games except the 4th quarter in Hamilton, we haven't really played well especially on offense.

Neely2005
10-07-2017, 09:05 PM
Is it possible that our offense is more effective in some parts of games than others?

Sure, they're certainly not effective in the redzone.

ArgoGabe22
10-07-2017, 09:55 PM
Ahhh! Who are these fools that just invaded the TSN broadcast?

https://s1.postimg.org/35gq4amaqj/Picture1.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/35gq4amaqj/)

You weren't a big fan of Fox Sports, were you?

Will
10-07-2017, 09:59 PM
Unfortunately, Bridge got into a groove that the Argos defence simply had no answer for.

ArgoGabe22
10-07-2017, 10:00 PM

It is a bit sad though, tbh. Having a professional sports franchise practice on a community tennis court. I guess it's free, compared to getting a field permit for a one day walkthrough.

jerrym
10-07-2017, 10:10 PM
Once again Wilder was the best Argo with 72 yards on the ground and 89 through the air.

Stevoman
10-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Bit of a concern when you think the past two games except the 4th quarter in Hamilton, we haven't really played well especially on offense.

Offense was dominant in the first half but couldn't finish. Became non-existent in the 2nd half except for the one TD drive. Chris Jones always did a good job of half time adjustments.

doubleblue
10-08-2017, 08:55 AM
Tough game to lose but hopefully we can get all the walking wounded back for the playoffs and make a good run at the Cup. Now the Argos are in a bit of a bind losing this game and Ottawa winning. First place isn't a sure thing now for sure. Hopefully we will see Ball, Lemon, Laing, Woods, Vaughn, Coombs and Van Zeyl all back by then.

ArgoGabe22
10-08-2017, 09:06 AM
I guess the defence shouldn't of shut down Glenn so fast, as they couldn't touch Bridge. If only Glenn stayed in the game. Has any QB who has been labelled a future HOFer ever been benched as much as Glenn has in his career?

The loss of Woods and Ball was big but the offence still failed to get anything going when it mattered most. That wide open throw in the red zone during the blitz was a missed opportunity. Argos couldn't get anything done deep.

Noticed Bridge was yapping close to the Argos sideline while the FG team came out. Not a fan of that. You're a young Canadian QB, with little experience and he decides to do that?

Shatto
10-08-2017, 11:38 AM
Watching the game down at BMO yesterday, was very frustrating. It appeared to be a whole team loss, not just one of the offense, defense or special teams. In the first half, the offense couldn't punch the ball in for TD's and had to settle for field goals. Then the offense disappeared for the entire second half until late in the 4th, when they scored a late TD. Late in the first half, the defense allowed Bridge to drive the entire field for a TD, including a third and three gamble. Late in the game, when the Argos had tied the game, the defense was unable stop Bridge again from driving the field, to score a very short field goal to win the game.

Next three games are crucial if the team hopes to get first place. Hopefully they can get back on track because Ottawa is starting to look good now that Harris is back.

RB957
10-08-2017, 12:39 PM
The last series of the first half where Saskatchewan marched down and scored was huge for them. Then intercepting the Argos on the first series of the second half hurt as well. Momentum really started to shift. I agree our offence was non-existent in the 2nd half and was surprised that we didn't make adjustments for Bridge. It looked to me on a lot of throws that he was telegraphing where he wanted to go, but our zone coverage was too soft allowing his receivers to get open. I still believe that there is something up with Ricky Ray. He doesn't have the zip on his throws. James Wilder Jr. was unbelievable. He did everything he could to fight for every yard. A couple of his first downs were out of this world. I am so thankful he was able to get up and run off the field after being down.
Bottom line, we had a chance to win this game. Had to stop them on that last series and we couldn't do it.

gilthethrill
10-08-2017, 02:23 PM
I want to see the Illegal Contact penalty on Darby late in the game that extended a drive. Frank Z claimed it was weak. Either way, the keys were Glenn getting pulled and having to settle for short FG's in the 1st half. Tough loss, but no need to be down. Argos will win at least 2 of their remaining games and finish 1st in the EFC.

Blue90
10-08-2017, 04:13 PM
I would really like to see a new QB.

Ray seems to go uncriticized for his poor performance....

Field goals instead of touchdowns.

Continually getting sacked.

Cannot throw deep anymore.

Always injured.

He is done.

Let's get Collaros back now. Younger, faster, better arm, can evade the pass rush.

gilthethrill
10-08-2017, 04:18 PM

Always injured.

He is done.

Let's get Collaros back now. Younger, faster, better arm, can evade the pass rush.

Out of curiosity, how is missing 1.5 games this season "always injured "? I could go on. Either forum members will ignore this post or have fun with it.

Neely2005
10-08-2017, 04:29 PM

Always injured.

He is done.

You might want to check out Ray's stats:

https://www.cfl.ca/stats/

Blue90
10-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Out of curiosity, how is missing 1.5 games this season "always injured "? I could go on. Either forum members will ignore this post or have fun with it.

How many games has Ray missed in the last 2-3 years? Answer..... he has played 3 games, 9 games, 14 games in the last 3 years. Not very good.

Argos are dead last in scoring in the red zone. Main reason is Ricky Ray.

What else do you disagree with?

Neely2005
10-08-2017, 04:39 PM
How many games has Ray missed in the last 2-3 years? Answer..... he has played 3 games, 9 games, 14 games in the last 3 years. Not very good.

You want Collaros back. How many games has Collaros missed in the last 2-3 years?

Collaros isn't even starting on a team that is the second worst in the league.

gilthethrill
10-08-2017, 04:46 PM

Well...he has thrown for 23 TD passes....

Argo
10-08-2017, 07:09 PM
Another fine performance from QB Bridge, possessor of a number of attributes that cannot be taught or bought, i.e., age, size, arm strength, and locality (hailing from Mississauga).

Wobbler
10-08-2017, 10:00 PM
You weren't a big fan of Fox Sports, were you?
I still have no idea who they are!

The TSN broadcast followed these two guys as they "dramatically" entered the broadcast booth in the second quarter and attempted play-by-play commentary for a few plays.

R.J
10-08-2017, 10:05 PM

Always injured.

He is done.

I agree, but I think you'll notice that we're in the minority, and that doesn't seem to be a good thing around here.

AngeloV
10-08-2017, 10:52 PM
I still have no idea who they are!

The TSN broadcast followed these two guys as they "dramatically" entered the broadcast booth in the second quarter and attempted play-by-play commentary for a few plays.

I've never been a fan of then on TSN, but I have to admit, they made me laugh quite a bit at the game yesterday.

argolio
10-09-2017, 01:11 AM
I want to see the Illegal Contact penalty on Darby late in the game that extended a drive. Frank Z claimed it was weak. Either way, the keys were Glenn getting pulled and having to settle for short FG's in the 1st half. Tough loss, but no need to be down. Argos will win at least 2 of their remaining games and finish 1st in the EFC.I don't know how weak it was, but without that penalty I bet the Riders would have challenged for pass interference in the end zone, and I think they would have won.

paulwoods13
10-09-2017, 06:01 AM
Yeah, it's definitely Ricky Ray's fault that he is continually getting sacked.

ArgoRavi
10-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Yeah, it's definitely Ricky Ray's fault that he is continually getting sacked.

What really killed them in the second half were penalties on both special teams and the offensive line. They were backed up for much of the half it seemed. They had a couple of decent series where they moved the ball from their own 10 or 15 yard line to midfield before having to punt but they were working on long fields a lot in the second half, which cannot be blamed on Ray.

Neely2005
10-09-2017, 12:37 PM
What really killed them in the second half were penalties on both special teams and the offensive line. They were backed up for much of the half it seemed. They had a couple of decent series where they moved the ball from their own 10 or 15 yard line to midfield before having to punt but they were working on long fields a lot in the second half, which cannot be blamed on Ray.

Very disappointing that year after year after year penalties are such a problem.

jerrym
10-09-2017, 12:38 PM
What really killed them in the second half were penalties on both special teams and the offensive line.

It seems that the modern Argos can't get by without taking many unforced penalties.

doubleblue
10-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Very disappointing that year after year after year penalties are such a problem.

The CFL likes to promote their special teams and kick returns as being exciting and a third part of the game. But with the majority of kick returns being flagged for holding or illegal blocking that part of the game has become a frustrating unwatchable performance. I don't know what the League can do to change this as I believe it contibutes somewhat to turning off viewers. I know I find myself, a hard core CFL fan, turning to something else when too many of these calls are called if I'm watching a game not involving the Argos. The game has changed and is so fast from when the rules were made. Also team can't really practice at game speed. Offensive players can draw penalties by turning their back (even costing a fan a million dollars) and bingo its a block in the back from a push. And quite often away from the play.

But we have the Grey Cup game to look forward to, as that's when the officials suddenly develop common sense and only the most blatant calls are made.

AngeloV
10-09-2017, 02:39 PM
As usual, I don't get the complaining. It was a very exciting, well played game. Sometimes you have to give the opposition credit, rather than whipping on the Argos. Bridge was absolutely on fire. The Riders are very fast on defence too. Chris Jones finally has the type of D he wants.

Argo57
10-09-2017, 04:44 PM
As usual, I don't get the complaining. It was a very exciting, well played game. Sometimes you have to give the opposition credit, rather than whipping on the Argos. Bridge was absolutely on fire. The Riders are very fast on defence too. Chris Jones finally has the type of D he wants.

Could have gone either way but the Riders were full credit for the win.

argolio
10-10-2017, 01:18 AM
The CFL likes to promote their special teams and kick returns as being exciting and a third part of the game. But with the majority of kick returns being flagged for holding or illegal blocking that part of the game has become a frustrating unwatchable performance. I don't know what the League can do to change this as I believe it contibutes somewhat to turning off viewers. I know I find myself, a hard core CFL fan, turning to something else when too many of these calls are called if I'm watching a game not involving the Argos. The game has changed and is so fast from when the rules were made. Also team can't really practice at game speed. Offensive players can draw penalties by turning their back (even costing a fan a million dollars) and bingo its a block in the back from a push. And quite often away from the play.It's not just the CFL. I watched some of the Bears-Vikings Monday nighter. Tons of penalties.

Rich
10-10-2017, 04:14 PM
I'm really hoping the Riders come in here for a playoff game. We handed them two wins on a platter this year there's no way in hell it happens a third time.

Will
10-10-2017, 04:38 PM
It's not just the CFL. I watched some of the Bears-Vikings Monday nighter. Tons of penalties.

Yes, but the right team won.

OV Argo
10-10-2017, 06:38 PM
I'm really hoping the Riders come in here for a playoff game. We handed them two wins on a platter this year there's no way in hell it happens a third time.

Yeah, I'd love to see that smug little prick ego-Jones get his over-rated @$$ whipped by the Argos in a play-off game; but that would mean the Riders had won the East semi via cross-over, and I don't want to see a West team win a cross-over - none of them - and I'd gladly cheer for the Pussycats even in that game.

And if Jones is still dumb enough to trot out the pinnacle of ultra mediocre CFL QBs in Glenn as his starter, then the Argos should be able win that game handily IMO (or at least if most of the D is healthy); Bridge is clearly/easily the more dangerous and athletic QB compared to that wimp Glenn and Bridge would give the Riders a much better shot at winning - just on his arm strength alone and with some very talented receivers to throw it to.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8