PDA

View Full Version : GAME THREAD / Week 18 / Winnipeg @ Toronto

Wobbler
10-19-2017, 11:11 AM
So... if we want to win the division, we need to win both of our remaining games. Expecting Hamilton to do us a favor next week is not realistic.

Sounds like Wilder will be back this week, which should help.

Neely2005
10-19-2017, 12:34 PM
We can only win 1 if Ottawa loses their last game.

Wobbler
10-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Expecting Hamilton to do us a favor next week is not realistic.

gilthethrill
10-19-2017, 01:33 PM
Not a good time for Weston Dressler to return. Still I like the Argos chances of winning out.

paulwoods13
10-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Argos will win, Ott will lose, Argos will rest guys against BC but win anyway since Lions will be eliminated by then.

gilthethrill
10-19-2017, 02:09 PM
Argos will win, Ott will lose, Argos will rest guys against BC but win anyway since Lions will be eliminated by then.

Nice being able to go into BC ( not as difficult to win there like it once was) after a bye week to end the regular season.

AngeloV
10-19-2017, 02:56 PM

With a bye before BC, resting guys in that game would mean 4 weeks between gams for some players should they finish first. I expect the Argos to go full out even in BC.

Scooter McCray
10-19-2017, 05:04 PM
I expect Argos to win out and Ottawa to win. Argos finish first. Ottawa beats whoever crosses over in semi. Overtime game for eastern final at BMO. Argos or Ottawa beat Calgary in the Grey Cup dismissing once again that the East is weak.

jerrym
10-19-2017, 07:40 PM
One factor helping the Argos is that the Bomber injured list has grown substantially recently. While Winnipeg expects WR Weston Dressler and LB Ian Wild back, the Bombers will be missing WR Darvin Adams, LB Maurice Leggett, RB Timothy Flanders, and DL Jamaal Westerman. DB Brain Walker and OL Tristan Okpalaugo had to leave Winnipeg's last game due to injury, while Matt Nichols played with a special glove with only two bare fingers due to an injury the previous week that appeared to reduce him to only 172 passing yards.

Wobbler
10-20-2017, 12:38 AM
We will win, Ottawa will win, and then we'll beat BC to claim the division title.

Skinny G
10-20-2017, 08:07 AM
Any word on what our linebacking will look like this game? Think Bass will get in?

Shatto
10-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Looks like one change on offense with Wilder back in replacing Whitaker. On defense Owusu-Ansah is back at CB and Vaughan in as LB and Harris in for Ford but as a backup. Good to see Finley back in the line up.

AngeloV
10-20-2017, 12:05 PM
By my count, 2 internationals to be the game time scratches. Matthews for sure, and I'm guessing either Harris or or Davis as the other.

Edit: I miscounted the number of internationals. Likely Matthews and a National to be scratched. (Gaydosh, Finley or Walker?)

gilthethrill
10-20-2017, 01:16 PM
By my count, 2 internationals to be the game time scratches. Matthews for sure, and I'm guessing either Harris or or Davis as the other.

Edit: I miscounted the number of internationals. Likely Matthews and a National to be scratched. (Gaydosh, Finley or Walker?)

What about Akeem Jordan? Did he suit up in Edmonton behind Woods?

jerrym
10-20-2017, 01:39 PM
Here's the Argos' depth chart:

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2017/10/ArgosDepth_vsWPGOct21.pdf

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here&#39;s how we&#39;ll line up on Saturday against the <a href="https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Wpg_BlueBombers</a>.<br><br>DOWNLOAD » <a href="https://t.co/yPeC9hpBaq">https://t.co/yPeC9hpBaq</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ArgosFootball?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ArgosFootball</a> <a href="https://t.co/1fPYkOnpWF">pic.twitter.com/1fPYkOnpWF</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/921389430979604480?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 20, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jerrym
10-20-2017, 01:56 PM
Here's the Bombers' depth chart:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tomorrow&#39;s depth chart vs <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TorontoArgos</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ForTheW?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ForTheW</a> <a href="https://t.co/bHN6IHgttG">pic.twitter.com/bHN6IHgttG</a></p>&mdash; WPG Blue Bombers (@Wpg_BlueBombers) <a href="https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers/status/921375720068341761?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 20, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

AngeloV
10-20-2017, 02:25 PM
What about Akeem Jordan? Did he suit up in Edmonton behind Woods?

Can't see him getting scratched. With Ball out of the line-up, they don't have the luxury of moving Plummer into the middle should something happen to Woods. Jordan has to dress for that reason.

Wobbler
10-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Nice to see AK and Harris back. Our secondary is now about as good as it is going to get, I think.

Now we just need Ball, Lemon, and Coombs back for the playoffs...

Stevoman
10-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Stoked that AK is back.

ArgofanIan
10-20-2017, 08:58 PM
Taking a bunch of people to the tail gate ... hoping I can pick up car Sunday morning but I think Marathon is on.... should be perfect weather.... should be a great day... my first official tailgate.... Go ARRGOS !!!

RB957
10-20-2017, 11:04 PM
Taking a bunch of people to the tail gate ... hoping I can pick up car Sunday morning but I think Marathon is on.... should be perfect weather.... should be a great day... my first official tailgate.... Go ARRGOS !!!

According to City of Toronto website, Lakeshore Road will be closed on Sunday between Windemere and Bathurst starting at 5 am until 1 pm.

timlb01
10-21-2017, 01:32 PM

Enjoy yourself!! Hope the outcome of the game is a good one.

jerrym
10-21-2017, 04:17 PM
Wilder is back and it looks like he's going to have a big game after that TD run!

jerrym
10-21-2017, 04:30 PM
Dumb penalties. The story of a lifetime of watching Argo football.

argofan81
10-21-2017, 04:39 PM
I could be wrong, but was there not supposed to be a season ticket holder gift available at the last two games? Last game of the season and there seems to be nothing. In addition, nothing h at the gate or in seats for fan appreciation day??

jerrym
10-21-2017, 04:40 PM
Declan Cross comes through on third and goal!

jerrym
10-21-2017, 05:02 PM
Wilder is back and it looks like he's going to have a big game after that TD run!

jerrym
10-21-2017, 05:18 PM
Martese was limping off. Hopefully, we are not losing his dynamic returns.

jerrym
10-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Walker clipped Wilder in the back but there was no call on the play making it easy for the Bombers to score from the one after the Okapaulgo interception.

jerrym
10-21-2017, 06:16 PM
Wilder's second TD, 77 yards running and 70 yards receiving so far put his name into prominence again for rookie of the year.

jerrym
10-21-2017, 07:09 PM
Unbelievable! Hajrullahu saves the Argos with a punt out of the end zone on a missed FG. Its the first time I've ever seen it be successful although I've seen it fail several times.

Stevoman
10-21-2017, 07:15 PM
That game was nuts! 7 trips to the redzone with not enough points to show for it and another week where their D-Line knocks down too many passes but yet this time they come out on top.
Great work by the offence for continuing to keep battling after so many setbacks.

jerrym
10-21-2017, 07:24 PM
Wilder has changed the Argo offence, forcing teams to pay attention to the run as he gets more handoffs. His 112 yards rushing and 85 yards receiving while dragging players all over the place has rebuilt the Argo offensive engine.

ArgoRavi
10-21-2017, 08:33 PM
Argos do something you don't see often in this league - lose the turnover battle but win the game. The two turnovers they did commit were the only reason this game was close as the Argos dominated the Bombers for much of this game. They held the ball for something like 37 or 38 minutes and it showed as the Winnipeg defence tired in the fourth quarter. It wasn't a perfect game for our team - the turnovers and too many penalties hurt - but the bottom line is that they found a way to win this game and now control their own destiny as far as finishing in first place goes.

Ricky Ray, James Wilder Jr., and the rest of the offence have been nothing short of outstanding. The one concern I have is that I would like to see our defensive line put the kind of pressure that they were putting on opposing QBs earlier in the season. Getting Shawn Lemon back should help out in that regard considerably. Overall though, I like the look of this team heading into the post-season.

jerrym
10-21-2017, 08:39 PM
In the process of gaining 423 passing yards tonight, Ray surpassed two milestones: 60,000 career yards passing and 5,000 yards passing in a season for the fourth time.

Shatto
10-21-2017, 08:40 PM
A bit of an ugly win but better an ugly win than a good looking loss.

ArgoZ
10-21-2017, 08:49 PM
Ricky Ray, James Wilder Jr., and the rest of the offence have been nothing short of outstanding. The one concern I have is that I would like to see our defensive line put the kind of pressure that they were putting on opposing QBs earlier in the season. Getting Shawn Lemon back should help out in that regard considerably. Overall though, I like the look of this team heading into the post-season. Time to add Wilder to your signature? :)

A bit of an ugly win but better an ugly win than a good looking loss.
Fun win! They deserved to win anyway.

Will
10-21-2017, 08:49 PM
The difference in this game might have been the running backs. James Wilder had his big day and Andrew Harris did not. I quite frankly don't understand the latter as the Argos have struggled against the run the past couple of weeks against C.J Gable. You would think that this would result in Winnipeg running the ball a little more than they did. Wilder hustles and gives 100% effort on every single play and that's why he's quickly becoming one of the more popular Argo players.

Wobbler
10-21-2017, 09:24 PM
Several guys had a big game, including Posey, but I was a bit surprised to see how easily he was caught by Taylor Loffler (who isn't especially fast) after his 55 yard gain in the first quarter. I thought Posey was supposed to be our stretch receiever?

Neely2005
10-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Expecting Hamilton to do us a favor next week is not realistic.

It's not unrealistic either.

Will
10-21-2017, 09:44 PM
It's not unrealistic either.

Exactly, Hamilton has already defeated Ottawa at TD Place.

Argo57
10-21-2017, 10:07 PM
Argos dominated the stats sheet, the Ray interception could have been disastrous but the Argos didn't give up.
Nice to see AngeloV again and meet gilthethrill, argolio and Will as well.
Hopefully Hamilton is super motivated to finish their season with a win........oskee wee wee, Go Cats!!!!

Will
10-21-2017, 10:11 PM
Argos dominated the stats sheet, the Ray interception could have been disastrous but the Argos didn't give up.
Hopefully Hamilton is super motivated to finish their season with a win........oskee wee wee, Go Cats!!!!

Nice to meet you as well!

ArgoFan1
10-21-2017, 10:11 PM
Let's face it. The Argos were just lucky to win this one. I figured it was over as Winnipeg drove down the field in the final minute, as the defence was giving up a long last minute drive for the third game in a row. Luckily the field goal was wide. Argos left way too many points... first with a strange gamble on third down early in the game where they could have kicked a field goal, then missing twice on two point converts, and missing a field goal attempt. I was sure all of that would doom the team. It was a great game to be at, lots of great plays and action and an exciting finish. Such a great thing after the dismal display we got last year.

RB957
10-21-2017, 10:19 PM
The difference in this game might have been the running backs. James Wilder had his big day and Andrew Harris did not. I quite frankly don't understand the latter as the Argos have struggled against the run the past couple of weeks against C.J Gable. You would think that this would result in Winnipeg running the ball a little more than they did. Wilder hustles and gives 100% effort on every single play and that's why he's quickly becoming one of the more popular Argo players.

Wilder was amazing. Another reason I love him is his passion and positive attitude. I was on the field for the national anthem carrying out the Canadian flag. When we were done and were walking off, there was Wilder greeting all the school kids who had sung the anthem, shaking hands and giving them high fives. He is a class act and should be promoted and used as a role model for young kids.

As far as the game, I agree with everything that's been posted. The final score should not have been as close. Still it was an exciting game and great to get the win.

paulwoods13
10-21-2017, 10:22 PM
The Argos were lucky Medlock missed a 40-yarder, so in that sense lucky to win. But they completely deserved to win. The offence was on fire virtually the entire game, and I for one loved all the third-down gambles. Ray, Wilder, Posey and Ralph were all very effective weapons. Wilder is a horse and we should keep riding him 25 times a game.

Neely2005
10-21-2017, 10:24 PM
Funny looking back now at all the posts from the beginning of the season saying how bad Wilder is.

ArgoGabe22
10-21-2017, 10:24 PM
What a game. Wilder is just a beast, Cross keeps doing what he does and great to see Ralph step up when called upon. Argos had 572 yards on offence and as of right now, lead the league in Passing Yards (5,327) and Time of Possession (32.26). The "pick 6" almost tarnished Ray's fantastic performance and both the milestones he achieved. And who doesn't want Trestman here?

paulwoods13
10-21-2017, 10:43 PM
Funny looking back now at all the posts from the beginning of the season saying how bad Wilder is.

And the one or two (ahem) that said perhaps we should reserve judgment until he actually gets the ball in his hands more than once or twice a game.

paulwoods13
10-21-2017, 10:44 PM
And who doesn't want Trestman here?

Pretty sure there is a poster on this board who continues to suggest Trestman is Milanovich Mark 1, only wants his QB to check down.

Wobbler
10-21-2017, 11:06 PM
He was bad at the beginning of the season! Wilder has been a very different guy since dropping weight and presumably getting more comfortable with the league and our offense. I'm most impressed by how good a receiver he is. One expects an RB to be mostly a YAC guy, but we've seen him lay out and make some terrific catches too.

Argo57
10-21-2017, 11:08 PM
Wilder's hustle chasing the Bomber defender down after the Ray interception speaks volumes about him, I bet he got a game ball for that one.

Neely2005
10-21-2017, 11:22 PM
He was bad at the beginning of the season! Wilder has been a very different guy since dropping weight and presumably getting more comfortable with the league and our offense. I'm most impressed by how good a receiver he is. One expects an RB to be mostly a YAC guy, but we've seen him lay out and make some terrific catches too.

It's almost like he needed some time to adjust to the Canadian game.

jerrym
10-21-2017, 11:35 PM

I agree. Early on he was slow off the mark and losing weight correlates with his improved speed and performance.

dmont
10-22-2017, 12:55 AM

Agreed. He's incredible now, but he started out with a lot of lateral runs with his head up, trying to decide where to go. Ever since he started dropping his head and charging north-south, he's been a completely different player. I've been wishing the Argonauts would play a big man at running back for years. The receiving abilities have been a welcome surprise.

Wobbler
10-22-2017, 03:44 AM
The offence was on fire virtually the entire game, and I for one loved all the third-down gambles.
So much fun! Third down gambles are crowd pleasing, and to trust a productive offense when failure should* mean putting the opponent in terrible field position... seems logical. I've been pretty neutral on Trestman before now, but I'm becoming appreciative.

*Obviously Okpalaugo's near-pick-six INT should not have happened.

paulwoods13
10-22-2017, 07:44 AM
He was bad at the beginning of the season!

I disagree with that assessment. He had a disappointing tendency to try to turn away from tacklers rather than try to barrel them over, but except for one game where he started in place of Whitaker, his touches were far too infrequent to draw a clear conclusion about what kind of back he was or could be. Our o-line also wasn't opening holes for any back at that point.

1971GreyCup
10-22-2017, 07:50 AM
Wilder was amazing. Another reason I love him is his passion and positive attitude. I was on the field for the national anthem carrying out the Canadian flag. When we were done and were walking off, there was Wilder greeting all the school kids who had sung the anthem, shaking hands and giving them high fives. He is a class act and should be promoted and used as a role model for young kids.

As far as the game, I agree with everything that's been posted. The final score should not have been as close. Still it was an exciting game and great to get the win.

After the game Wilder was up in Section 125 running around hi-diving all the fans. I agree his raw enthusiasm is something for PR to build on.

gilthethrill
10-22-2017, 08:44 AM

Always cool to meet fellow " experts" on the forum! One of the most exciting games I have attended, and this season has been chalk full of those. Nice to see the Argos overcome some mistakes and come away with the win. Winnipeg was lucky to be in it to the final play.

WE'RE # 1!!!!!!!!

AngeloV
10-22-2017, 10:12 AM

Always a pleasure. And remember, I called the 4th quarter comeback. 😀

AngeloV
10-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Let's face it. The Argos were just lucky to win this one. I figured it was over as Winnipeg drove down the field in the final minute, as the defence was giving up a long last minute drive for the third game in a row. Luckily the field goal was wide. Argos left way too many points... first with a strange gamble on third down early in the game where they could have kicked a field goal, then missing twice on two point converts, and missing a field goal attempt. I was sure all of that would doom the team. It was a great game to be at, lots of great plays and action and an exciting finish. Such a great thing after the dismal display we got last year.

As far as the strange gamble goes, they did it twice in the first half and came away with 7 points. Had they kicked the FG both times they would have had 6. You can't complain in that situation.

AngeloV
10-22-2017, 10:20 AM
The Argos were lucky Medlock missed a 40-yarder, so in that sense lucky to win. But they completely deserved to win. The offence was on fire virtually the entire game, and I for one loved all the third-down gambles. Ray, Wilder, Posey and Ralph were all very effective weapons. Wilder is a horse and we should keep riding him 25 times a game.

Argos ran 72 offensive plays to Wiinipeg's 46. If not for a great play by Okpulaugo, Argos would have romped.

AngeloV
10-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Pretty sure there is a poster on this board who continues to suggest Trestman is Milanovich Mark 1, only wants his QB to check down.

Same poster that can't give Ray credit for anything.

AngeloV
10-22-2017, 10:26 AM

I don't know how anyone can say he was bad at the beginning of the season. The 3 touches a game he was getting can't paint any type of picture as to how good or bad he was. Personally I think the Argos made him prove that he deserved the chance and he has really taken off since then.

Will
10-22-2017, 10:28 AM
The decision by Ricky Ray on the INT looked much worse in the stadium than it did watching the replay. Tristan O simply made an excellent play.

AngeloV
10-22-2017, 10:31 AM
The decision by Ricky Ray on the INT looked much worse in the stadium than it did watching the replay. Tristan O simply made an excellent play.

It was an outstanding play by a great player.

ArgoZ
10-22-2017, 11:46 AM
After the game Wilder was up in Section 125 running around hi-diving all the fans. I agree his raw enthusiasm is something for PR to build on.

I saw that too. Awesome! He's quickly becoming a fan favorite. I seem to always get a Wilder high five, if I am standing by the players walkway. I can't resist, LOL.

Bleeds Double Blue
10-22-2017, 11:50 AM
I'm the only one on this forum with the sad face today. I had to work yesterday and forgot to PVR the game. Hopefully TSN will replay it sometime during the week so I can see what you guys are talking about.

Also, Argo57, while we are all cheering for an Ottawa loss next week (I can never say a Hamilton win) your oskee-wee-wee was way over the top. Say it again and I'll be forced to wash your mouth out with soap.

RB957
10-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Same poster that can't give Ray credit for anything.

Three great posts back to back to back. AngeloV is ON FIRE!!

RB957
10-22-2017, 11:58 AM
I'm the only one on this forum with the sad face today. I had to work yesterday and forgot to PVR the game. Hopefully TSN will replay it sometime during the week so I can see what you guys are talking about.

Also, Argo57, while we are all cheering for an Ottawa loss next week (I can never say a Hamilton win) your oskee-wee-wee was way over the top. Say it again and I'll be forced to wash your mouth out with soap.

Someone else on the forum previously said that you can go on tsn.ca and stream the game from there. Apparently they put it there for a week, IIRC.

1971GreyCup
10-22-2017, 12:17 PM
As far as the strange gamble goes, they did it twice in the first half and came away with 7 points. Had they kicked the FG both times they would have had 6. You can't complain in that situation.

Statistically, going for it on third down opens up 50% more offensive scoring opportunities in the. CFL. I believe it's Trestman unwavering confidence in Ricky Ray has led to this new development. Also, red zone production has been a problem for the 2017 Argos. I am all for this new development. Great problem solving development by a football genius!

I saw something similar on 60 Minutes about a football coach who never punts.

The highly successful high school coach who never punts has another radical idea. Kevin Kelley, the head football coach at Pulaski Academy in Arkansas, has gained renown in recent years for his gonzo football philosophy. He is the coach who almost never punts and almost always kicks onside after scores.

Aug 13, 2015
The highly successful high school coach who never punts has ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com › sports

R.J
10-22-2017, 12:36 PM
Good game by the team.

Wilder is quickly becoming my favourite Argo, not even so much for what he does on the field, but what he does off it. Ray played well minus the interception imo. Anyone else notice how much the line has improved since Himebauch was brought in ?

TBH, my only disappointment yesterday was the smallish crowd. Fighting for first place, with a relatively entertaining team, and likeable players - one would think that would lead to more butts in seats.

Stevoman
10-22-2017, 12:44 PM

After the first bye week. It is actually a night and day difference. I was wondering if he was an athlete that was all for show as he couldn't break any tackles and seemed scared of contact. Now he relishes it and makes huge gains after first contact. Home cooking or newly motivated after being with family or, as you said, got comfortable with the game.

Argo57
10-22-2017, 12:59 PM
Always a pleasure. And remember, I called the 4th quarter comeback. 😀

You did predict the comeback for sure Angelo!!
Let us all know what date the Argos Grey Cup parade will be this year😛

Argo57
10-22-2017, 01:00 PM

LOL
Sorry, I'm a card carrying Ticat fan this week!!

ArgoGabe22
10-22-2017, 01:24 PM
I don't know how anyone can say he was bad at the beginning of the season. The 3 touches a game he was getting can't paint any type of picture as to how good or bad he was. Personally I think the Argos made him prove that he deserved the chance and he has really taken off since then.

It might be due to getting in rhythm but Wilder did look a lot more hesitant to me early on, and tried dancing his way around instead of just hitting hole straight on and hard.

AngeloV
10-22-2017, 03:29 PM
You did predict the comeback for sure Angelo!!
Let us all know what date the Argos Grey Cup parade will be this year😛

By my estimation, Nov 28.

AngeloV
10-22-2017, 03:31 PM
It might be due to getting in rhythm but Wilder did look a lot more hesitant to me early on, and tried dancing his way around instead of just hitting hole straight on and hard.

I feel it was due to limited touches. Often when I guy gets limited touches, he tries to turn every play into a big play.

R.J
10-22-2017, 04:26 PM
Did the team do anything different for Fan Appreciation Day yesterday ?
I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Mightygoose
10-22-2017, 08:47 PM

The only things different I noticed and it was minor was a thank you fans near the end of the game on the scoreboard monitor...which is more than last year. Maybe a few extra givaways during the game.

On the way out they were giving out football shaped 'piggy banks' with the World Financial Group sponsor on them. Doubt I'll use them but they'll be nice desk ornaments.

argolio
10-22-2017, 09:21 PM
Where did this deal of Wilder being fat early in the season come from?

doubleblue
10-22-2017, 09:23 PM

Not me. I wanted Wilder doing what's he's doing, check. Washington at RG, check. Noel in for for some deep balls. Not checked off yet.

Will
10-23-2017, 08:22 AM

I think Wilder admitted that he had to lose some weight to adjust to the demands of the Canadian game.

Nothing really.

doubleblue
10-23-2017, 10:32 AM
I think Wilder admitted that he had to lose some weight to adjust to the demands of the Canadian game.

Nothing really.

Thanks for coming. Y'all come back now.

Rich
10-24-2017, 05:04 AM

I think it's fake news. The word at training camp was what an amazing physical specimen this guy was. I don't think he had very many extra pounds to lose. He sure doesn't look any different physically than he did at the start of the season.

To me it's obvious that the difference with Wilder is that the o-Line is opening up some beautiful holes for him that they weren't doing nearly as much before. In preseason and in the first part of the season Wilder had 4 or 5 brilliant carries which provided hints that he could be a very special back. But more often than not he was getting stuffed, and he was hesitating too much, because the openings simply were not there. Now they are.

AngeloV
10-24-2017, 10:19 AM
I think it's fake news. The word at training camp was what an amazing physical specimen this guy was. I don't think he had very many extra pounds to lose. He sure doesn't look any different physically than he did at the start of the season.

To me it's obvious that the difference with Wilder is that the o-Line is opening up some beautiful holes for him that they weren't doing nearly as much before. In preseason and in the first part of the season Wilder had 4 or 5 brilliant carries which provided hints that he could be a very special back. But more often than not he was getting stuffed, and he was hesitating too much, because the openings simply were not there. Now they are.

That's a big part of it, but it's also tough to be instinctive when you are only getting 4 or so touches a game as he was early. I think that Trestman made him earn his way into a starting spot by doing hard work on special teams. Writing him off prior to seeing him really play was a knee jerk reaction, of which you will see plenty on message boards of every team.

ArgoZ
10-24-2017, 12:39 PM
That's a big part of it, but it's also tough to be instinctive when you are only getting 4 or so touches a game as he was early. I think that Trestman made him earn his way into a starting spot by doing hard work on special teams. Writing him off prior to seeing him really play was a knee jerk reaction, of which you will see plenty on message boards of every team.

Reminds me of when Austin would roll Ricky Williams out on a sweep and everyone would wonder why he didn't break through the whole D and dominate. Williams goes back to the NFL and has a decent season.

Rich
10-24-2017, 03:30 PM

More carries for Wilder and better run blocking are both indicative of The Professor's commitment to the run game and a truly diversified offence, something a lot of people around here didn't think he was capable of.

Jon Gonzo
10-24-2017, 04:41 PM
More carries for Wilder and better run blocking are both indicative of The Professor's commitment to the run game and a truly diversified offence, something a lot of people around here didn't think he was capable of.

It is interesting to compare to work of the master (this year), to the work of the understudy (the past several seasons). There is no question, in my books, that either of those titles will be threatened moving forward. We clearly have the better coach now. He is a better motivator, he a consummately patient team-concept person, and he has an elastic, adaptable tactical mind.

This team is well coached and well represented. And because of it, this team has a decent shot at a Grey Cup this year, and I anticipate for many seasons to come.

AngeloV
10-24-2017, 06:19 PM
It is interesting to compare to work of the master (this year), to the work of the understudy (the past several seasons). There is no question, in my books, that either of those titles will be threatened moving forward. We clearly have the better coach now. He is a better motivator, he a consummately patient team-concept person, and he has an elastic, adaptable tactical mind.

This team is well coached and well represented. And because of it, this team has a decent shot at a Grey Cup this year, and I anticipate for many seasons to come.

He also has a lot of better players to work with and a healthy QB.

Jon Gonzo
10-24-2017, 06:36 PM
He also has a lot of better players to work with and a healthy QB.

Drew Willy was healthy last year (;

RB957
10-24-2017, 07:34 PM
Drew Willy was healthy last year (;

He still is healthy. Sitting on the bench or standing on the sideline will do that for you. In both official languages.

RB957
10-24-2017, 07:44 PM
The only things different I noticed and it was minor was a thank you fans near the end of the game on the scoreboard monitor...which is more than last year. Maybe a few extra givaways during the game.

On the way out they were giving out football shaped 'piggy banks' with the World Financial Group sponsor on them. Doubt I'll use them but they'll be nice desk ornaments.

The below info was just posted by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on what they are giving away to fans at their final home game. The Argos could and should have done a lot more for their loyal fans.

Fans are encouraged to stay in their seats for a chance to win the following prizes during the game:

A trip to the 105th Grey Cup in Ottawa (a pair of game tickets and VIA Rail transportation)
A pair of 2018 Ticats season seats
Team autographed jerseys
Tiger-Cats Shop gift cards
Tim Hortons gift cards
Tiger-Cats novelty capes, courtesy of TELUS
Ticats fidget spinners
Stipley Neighbourhood flags
Mini footballs, courtesy of FirstOntario Credit Union and Turkstra Lumber
Ticats frisbees, courtesy of Grain Farmers of Ontario
Thunder sticks, courtesy of belairdirect
2017 Vanier Cup tickets
Copies of Angelo Mosca’s autobiography, ‘Tell Me to My Face’
Bags of chips, courtesy of Old Dutch
Candy samples, courtesy of Wrigley

argotom
10-24-2017, 09:11 PM
The below info was just posted by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on what they are giving away to fans at their final home game. The Argos could and should have done a lot more for their loyal fans.

Fans are encouraged to stay in their seats for a chance to win the following prizes during the game:

A trip to the 105th Grey Cup in Ottawa (a pair of game tickets and VIA Rail transportation)
A pair of 2018 Ticats season seats
Team autographed jerseys
Tiger-Cats Shop gift cards
Tim Hortons gift cards
Tiger-Cats novelty capes, courtesy of TELUS
Ticats fidget spinners
Stipley Neighbourhood flags
Mini footballs, courtesy of FirstOntario Credit Union and Turkstra Lumber
Ticats frisbees, courtesy of Grain Farmers of Ontario
Thunder sticks, courtesy of belairdirect
2017 Vanier Cup tickets
Copies of Angelo Mosca’s autobiography, ‘Tell Me to My Face’
Bags of chips, courtesy of Old Dutch
Candy samples, courtesy of Wrigley

Wow, what a difference.
At saturday's game there was absolutely nothing for the fans.

GregR
10-25-2017, 05:58 PM
Yes I was surprised also as they had called it Fan Appreciation Day in an email. Not even the usual t-shirts thrown into the stands.

jerrym
10-26-2017, 01:43 AM
Wilder has been named Top Performer of the Week for the second time thanks to his almost 200 yards rushing and receiving.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8