PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to Ottawa for Grey Cup?

Will
10-25-2017, 03:54 PM
I'm going for the parties and stuff. Tickets to the game are dependent on whether Argos make it or not.

1971GreyCup
10-25-2017, 04:06 PM
We've received our tickets and will enjoy another Grey Cup!

RB957
10-25-2017, 04:20 PM
My son and I are going up on the Thursday to take in the whole Grey Cup festival. Just got our tickets delivered the other day, ( Section BB North Grandstand), and it is exciting that there is a chance the Argos may make it. Really looking forward to it.

ArgoGabe22
10-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Not me, but might depend on which team gets there.

1971GreyCup
10-25-2017, 05:20 PM
Interestingly, Argos went 9/9 in 2012 and won the Grey Cup over Calgary when Ricky Ray had a hot hand, a very effective running game and Marcus Ball all over the field.

DoubleBlue1873
10-25-2017, 06:28 PM
I don't have to go to Ottawa because I live there. 😀

As a Redblacks STH, I exercised my option to buy the GC ticket for my seat. Now if only the Argos make it to the big game, the plan will have worked out to perfection!

Neely2005
10-25-2017, 06:29 PM
Maybe if the Argonauts make it.

Jon Gonzo
10-26-2017, 12:33 AM
I live in Ottawa also, so I will be around town Grey Cup Week. Heading to the game Friday night. The big game is traditionally reserved for my parents arrival from Southern Ontario so we will be watching it at my place as my father is now in his late 80's. He goes back to the Varsity Stadium days and took me down to the old Exe to watch my first Leo Cahill brand of Argo Football.

It's family.

RB957
10-26-2017, 10:12 AM
I live in Ottawa also, so I will be around town Grey Cup Week. Heading to the game Friday night. The big game is traditionally reserved for my parents arrival from Southern Ontario so we will be watching it at my place as my father is now in his late 80's. He goes back to the Varsity Stadium days and took me down to the old Exe to watch my first Leo Cahill brand of Argo Football.

It's family.

That's cool.

timlb01
10-26-2017, 10:44 AM
If the Argos make it there is a good chance I will attend!

Will
10-26-2017, 05:09 PM
Interestingly, Argos went 9/9 in 2012 and won the Grey Cup over Calgary when Ricky Ray had a hot hand, a very effective running game and Marcus Ball all over the field.

Need #6 back

ArgoZ
10-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Maybe if the Argonauts make it.
I'm sure many of us will be looking at the many tickets available once Toronto knocks out Ottawa in the East Final! :D

Neely2005
10-27-2017, 10:40 AM
I'm sure many of us will be looking at the many tickets available once Toronto knocks out Ottawa in the East Final! :D

Exactly. No point in buying tickets in advance anymore. Better to wait until closer to gameday and look for deals.

Mightygoose
10-27-2017, 11:06 AM
The games has already been declared a sellout so that can make the resale market higher this year....mind you if the RedBlacks go out, there could be enough people jumping ship to make it worthwhile.

I doubt I'll be going even if the Argos make it. My wife being a teacher would have a hard time getting Monday off. The 50 inch is for me this year!

Will
10-27-2017, 01:49 PM
The games has already been declared a sellout so that can make the resale market higher this year....mind you if the RedBlacks go out, there could be enough people jumping ship to make it worthwhile.

I doubt I'll be going even if the Argos make it. My wife being a teacher would have a hard time getting Monday off. The 50 inch is for me this year!

That's what I'd be banking on.

1971GreyCup
10-27-2017, 02:27 PM
An all Western Grey Cup could really hurt Grey Cup ticket prices.

RB957
10-27-2017, 04:15 PM
An all Western Grey Cup could really hurt Grey Cup ticket prices.

The game is officially sold out, so the only prices that will be hurt are on the secondary market. That affects the people who initially bought the tickets, not the Redblacks or the CFL. Money is already in the bank for them, so they are laughing. What it may hurt is ticket sales for the concert events.

Argo57
10-27-2017, 06:12 PM
The game is officially sold out, so the only prices that will be hurt are on the secondary market. That affects the people who initially bought the tickets, not the Redblacks or the CFL. Money is already in the bank for them, so they are laughing. What it may hurt is ticket sales for the concert events.

An all Western Grey Cup would result in lower TV ratings IMO as the game would become more irrelevant in Eastern Canada.
A minor detail that many Western fans fail to consider.

AngeloV
10-27-2017, 06:58 PM
An all Western Grey Cup would result in lower TV ratings IMO as the game would become more irrelevant in Eastern Canada.
A minor detail that many Western fans fail to consider.

I wonder what the historical ratings were for the times Winnipeg represented the east in the GC. That would be a great gauge as to whether or not the ratings actually take a dip.

ArgofanIan
10-27-2017, 10:10 PM
My Son and a buddy from work have tickets to the big game in Ottawa... hoping I can drag them to a CFL party Thursday night... hopefully the Spirit of Edmonton... and the CFL fans for Cancer on Saturday Morning (?)...maybe some team parties... not sure best place to hang out on game day or in general .... down town or at stadium.... haven't been to Ottawa in a few years.... if you have any advice about attending a grey cup in Ottawa... please shoot me a message or reply here ... Thanks for any help ... Go ARRRGOS.

1971GreyCup
10-27-2017, 10:22 PM

Agreed.

Tobythor
10-27-2017, 10:50 PM
Depends if the Argos make it or not. This thread inspired me to book a cheap hotel for Saturday and Sunday that I can cancel at no cost untill November 24. A dive of a place, but only 20 min walk from the stadium lol. Here's hoping the Argos make it and Ottawa fans want to dump their tickets!

Neely2005
10-28-2017, 09:17 AM
Well if Ottawa doesn't make it there could be lots of tickets available:

http://3downnation.com/2017/10/26/jeff-hunt-80-per-cent-grey-cup-tickets-sold-ottawa/

AngeloV
10-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Well if Ottawa doesn't make it there could be lots of tickets available:

http://3downnation.com/2017/10/26/jeff-hunt-80-per-cent-grey-cup-tickets-sold-ottawa/

I wouldn't count on that. I think the football fans in Ottawa will support the event and enjoy themselves regardless of the RedBlacks playoff success.

RB957
10-29-2017, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't count on that. I think the football fans in Ottawa will support the event and enjoy themselves regardless of the RedBlacks playoff success.

I believe you are right. It seems that people in Ottawa have really embraced the CFL and that TD Place is where people want to go and be seen. When you factor in the "Canada150" factor, I think Ottawa fans will still come out in droves.

paulwoods13
10-29-2017, 09:00 AM
Got a great offer to visit relatives a couple of blocks from the stadium so will be in Ottawa and taking part in the festivities. Going to the game itself only if Argos get in and I can scrounge tickets from disgruntled RB fans or somewhere else.

Jon Gonzo
10-29-2017, 09:31 AM
I believe you are right. It seems that people in Ottawa have really embraced the CFL and that TD Place is where people want to go and be seen. When you factor in the "Canada150" factor, I think Ottawa fans will still come out in droves.

Redblacks swag and CFL diversity tees everywhere in this town. It has been wonderful to be here in this city to watch a franchise rise from the ashes. Jeff Hunt and gang have been able to rekindle the history, while delivering something new and fresh.....and it's a thing.

AngeloV
10-29-2017, 10:17 AM
Redblacks swag and CFL diversity tees everywhere in this town. It has been wonderful to be here in this city to watch a franchise rise from the ashes. Jeff Hunt and gang have been able to rekindle the history, while delivering something new and fresh.....and it's a thing.

I never doubted that Ottawa would thrive as long as they had good ownership. Hunt is a great owner who gets it with a history in the market. Ottawa football will be strong for a long time with Hunt leading the way.

ArgoGabe22
11-19-2017, 06:19 PM
Seriously thinking about it. Anyone want to cut the cost? :)

jerrym
11-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Living in Vancouver, it's too expensive for me to go to Ottawa. However, I plan to go the next GC in Vancouver. Hopefully, the Argos make that one. I did see one of the best ever live - the 1987 one in Vancouver. Unfortunately, the Argos lost that high scoring classic to Edmonton 38-36.

timlb01
11-19-2017, 06:43 PM
Just booked my hotel and bought tickets on StubHub. AAAAARRRRRGOOOOOOSSSS!!!! US dollars and service fees are a real rip off on StubHub but with the Argos there it is worth every penny.

1971GreyCup
11-19-2017, 07:04 PM
I finally checked our pair and we're 13 rows up behind the Argos bench! Can't wait.

timlb01
11-19-2017, 07:17 PM
I finally checked our pair and we're 13 rows up behind the Argos bench! Can't wait.

So you are in section "Q"?

I am in PP. Second deck.

1971GreyCup
11-19-2017, 07:22 PM
So you are in section "Q"?

I am in PP. Second deck.

In Section "N" but close enough!

timlb01
11-19-2017, 07:59 PM
In Section "N" but close enough!

Going to be amazing. Maybe I'll see you there!!!! I was in Ottawa for the 2004 game too. Hopefully same winning result!

RB957
11-19-2017, 08:04 PM
Going with my son. Flying out on Thursday to take in the whole festival. Never dreamt after last year that we would be where we are, but it is just amazing. What a turnaround. I am so proud of our team. Go Argos.

1971GreyCup
11-20-2017, 07:32 AM
For those still interested in attending, I read on Twitter that are plenty of tickets available on Kijiji, although I haven't checked.

I experimented with so cold weather clothing combinations for Ottawa with good success. Marks Work Warehouse sell "Heat" pants and socks. With the Season Ticket gift blanket, we kept very warm throughout. I am happy to say we're ready the worst Ottawa has to offer in late November.

Jon Gonzo
11-20-2017, 08:52 AM
I will be around for Grey Cup week. But watching from home so I can watch with my 88 year old father, mother, brother and family. My dad introduced me to this team, so it's become a family thing. I save him from the crowds, but will make sure I hit up a couple of events. The Argos will be hosting a party on Bank Street on Saturday night at the Barley Mow.

matthew
11-20-2017, 03:34 PM
Myself and 3 others. We may have room for “sale” if someone wants to take reservation. Just waiting to hear from friends

paulwoods13
11-20-2017, 03:52 PM
I superstitiously would not even think about buying tickets until I had a good reason to do so. Now that I have one, I not only scored two nice tickets from RB fans but I have a friend who wants to unload four tix. They are looking for face value, $400 each. If anyone wants two or all of them, DM me.

DoubleBlue1873
11-20-2017, 09:06 PM
I will be in my season seat, section EE, row 12. So pumped to have the Argos in the big game! When I exercised the option for the GC ticket last December, never could I have even dreamed that I'd be watching my beloved Scullers. Seriously, things weren't looking so hot for us last December...:)

I'm hoping to take in The Shipyard party at Barley Mow on Saturday night. This is our normal bar after RB games. Be forewarned: the place isn't huge and has an ornery barman.

Bill G
11-20-2017, 09:14 PM
I'll be in Ottawa! Current plans ... Thu: Spirt of Edmonton, FRi: RNation / Grey Cup Festival central, SAT: ARGO Shipyard at Barley Mow ... plus hit some museums / tourist sites (Canadian War Museum, National Art Gallery) ... meet up with some Ottawa friends ... haven't secured Grey Cup tickets, yet .... asking prices on Stubhub right now appear comfortably above what I'm willing to pay.

jerrym
11-21-2017, 01:47 AM
I'll be in Ottawa! Current plans ... Thu: Spirt of Edmonton, FRi: RNation / Grey Cup Festival central, SAT: ARGO Shipyard at Barley Mow ... plus hit some museums / tourist sites (Canadian War Museum, National Art Gallery) ... meet up with some Ottawa friends ... haven't secured Grey Cup tickets, yet .... asking prices on Stubhub right now appear comfortably above what I'm willing to pay.

Welcome on board. Have fun in Ottawa.

stuntdog
11-21-2017, 02:12 PM
I’ll be in section HH on the north side.

Dave Dickenson played or coached in every Grey Cup that I’ve attended and so far he’s been on the losing side every time (2004, 2012 & 2016). Here’s hoping that streak continues.

1971GreyCup
11-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Am I right that they want $300 per ticket for the CFL Player Awards night? We went in BC, but I don't remember being out of pocket $600?

ArgoGabe22
11-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Am I right that they want $300 per ticket for the CFL Player Awards night? We went in BC, but I don't remember being out of pocket $600?

I was surprised last year that many events are quite pricey. $200 for Joel Plaskett!

Tobythor
11-22-2017, 05:56 PM
Unfortunately I won't be making it. My season seat partner couldn't get away :(. Have fun everyone!

Bill G
11-23-2017, 08:04 AM
Update: Procured Grey Cup tix on stubhub. Yess!!

Tobythor
11-25-2017, 10:41 AM
Tickets are going for relatively cheap on Stup Hub $85 U.S. Is the lowest I saw. There are plenty of seats on there so prices will probably come down as the game draws near especially for better seats. Kijiji has lots of under face value tickets posted as well.

ArgofanIan
11-27-2017, 06:52 PM
Congratulations to the RedBlacks for running an excellent Grey cup IMO. We were able to take free transport from Kanata for several days which was excellent. Stadium , volunteers, OCtranspo and events were excellent. Saw some ARGONotes playing with the Sask pep band.....which I really was glad to see...

my NFL friends in Ottawa and here in Toronto were shocked at the great atmosphere and the spirit at the Grey cup.... the fact that fans of all teams go .... and celebrate together ... regardless of who is playing...

I definitely will be going back to Ottawa for the next grey cup they have and hopefully this summer for an ARRGO game... really good news for our league.... Great work Redblacks.

timlb01
11-27-2017, 06:58 PM
Congratulations to the RedBlacks for running an excellent Grey cup IMO. We were able to take free transport from Kanata for several days which was excellent. Stadium , volunteers, OCtranspo and events were excellent. Saw some ARGONotes playing with the Sask pep band.....which I really was glad to see...

my NFL friends in Ottawa and here in Toronto were shocked at the great atmosphere and the spirit at the Grey cup.... the fact that fans of all teams go .... and celebrate together ... regardless of who is playing...

I definitely will be going back to Ottawa for the next grey cup they have and hopefully this summer for an ARRGO game... really good news for our league.... Great work Redblacks.

I agree it was really well done. Fantastic job and amazing time. Good job Ottawa!!!!

Ron
11-27-2017, 07:10 PM
I’ll be in section HH on the north side.

Dave Dickenson played or coached in every Grey Cup that I’ve attended and so far he’s been on the losing side every time (2004, 2012 & 2016). Here’s hoping that streak continues.

Thank You!!

Will
11-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Ottawa and the Redblacks organization did a great job putting Grey Cup week together. Some highlights:

- The Spirit of Edmonton did move to a bar this year. There were two storeys and an outdoor tent. It was fun though (not unexpectedly) it got really crowded. I stayed from about 4 until 10 before heading off to the Bomber House that was close by. I felt like a fish out of water at the Bomber House as I'm certain that myself, Mulder's wife and Mulder were the only easterners in the place. We were with our friends who are Bomber fans.

- Whole host of activities to do in and around the stadium. Partook in the pancake breakfast on Friday. The RNation Party was very well done. It was in the Aberdeen Pavilion and they had live bands (including Flutie Brothers). There was a Quebecois-folk/Cajan band on Saturday that was very good.

I met RB957 at Spirit of Edmonton. Good to meet you sir!

- I am pleased to announce that CFL Fans Fight Cancer raised over $15,000 to benefit Maplesoft Centre (Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation).

R.J
11-27-2017, 07:46 PM
Agreed Done Argo, full kudos has to go the the Redblacks and city of Ottawa for a great weekend/Grey Cup Festival.

Went to my second Atlantic Schooners Kitchen party, and it was such a great vibe, seemed more vibrate for obvious reasons. Also got to meet the Commish, really nice guy, and seemed to love talking with us fans. Great vibes overall, some weren't crazy about the snow or chilly weather, but I loved it, and it seemed like people got more into the game as it went on.

Will
11-27-2017, 07:49 PM
Agreed Done Argo, full kudos has to go the the Redblacks and city of Ottawa for a great weekend/Grey Cup Festival.

Went to my second Atlantic Schooners Kitchen party, and it was such a great vibe, seemed more vibrate for obvious reasons. Also got to meet the Commish, really nice guy, and seemed to love talking with us fans. Great vibes overall, some weren't crazy about the snow or chilly weather, but I loved it, and it seemed like people got more into the game as it went on.

The Mulders and I tried to get into the Schooners party on Friday night at around 8:00 PM and that was a bad idea. It turns out we should have waited until 10:00 because that's apparently when the people who arrived at opening left. We ended up heading to the Tweet Up instead.

R.J
11-27-2017, 08:03 PM
The Mulders and I tried to get into the Schooners party on Friday night at around 8:00 PM and that was a bad idea. It turns out we should have waited until 10:00 because that's apparently when the people who arrived at opening left. We ended up heading to the Tweet Up instead.
How was the tweet up ?

Will
11-27-2017, 08:07 PM
How was the tweet up ?

I enjoyed it! Started an impromptu game of catch with a few people.

If you want to go to this all you really need to do is ask Max.

R.J
11-27-2017, 08:13 PM
I enjoyed it! Started an impromptu game of catch with a few people.

If you want to go to this all you really need to do is ask Max.
The guy that does the CFL content with Brodie ?

Will
11-27-2017, 08:21 PM
The guy that does the CFL content with Brodie ?

Yeah

R.J
11-27-2017, 08:30 PM
Yeah
Good to know.

BTW, I'm not normally into Lobster (prefer crab actually), but the one's at the Kitchen Party were amazing. Never had one before, and I highly recommend.

RB957
11-28-2017, 10:11 AM
Ottawa and the Redblacks organization did a great job putting Grey Cup week together. Some highlights:

- The Spirit of Edmonton did move to a bar this year. There were two storeys and an outdoor tent. It was fun though (not unexpectedly) it got really crowded. I stayed from about 4 until 10 before heading off to the Bomber House that was close by. I felt like a fish out of water at the Bomber House as I'm certain that myself, Mulder's wife and Mulder were the only easterners in the place. We were with our friends who are Bomber fans.

- Whole host of activities to do in and around the stadium. Partook in the pancake breakfast on Friday. The RNation Party was very well done. It was in the Aberdeen Pavilion and they had live bands (including Flutie Brothers). There was a Quebecois-folk/Cajan band on Saturday that was very good.

I met RB957 at Spirit of Edmonton. Good to meet you sir!

- I am pleased to announce that CFL Fans Fight Cancer raised over $15,000 to benefit Maplesoft Centre (Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation).

Right back at you! And agree 100%. It was a great atmosphere, and tremendous meeting so many nice people from all across this country. At the RNation pavillion, we bumped into two guys from Timmins and one said that Shania Twain was is cousin. I just looked at him straight faced and said "Isn't everyone in Timmins your cousin?". There was this pause, and then we all burst out laughing. One of the absolute highlights for me was the singing of the national anthem led by Toronto's Choir Choir Choir. I have never heard it belted out like that. Nothing really brings this country together every year like the Grey Cup.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8