PDA

View Full Version : O'Shea the next Hamilton HC?

Area 51
12-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Wouldn't that be a stunner?

It would complete a full circle turnabout for O'Shea - - going from Hamilton to Toronto as a player, and then the other way as a coach. I don't know what O'Shea's aspirations are in terms of getting the head job, but with Milanovich and now Jones coming on board I don't see the HC job in Toronto being a possibility for him anytime soon.

From what I've heard, O'Shea has interviewed for the Rider job so it would seem that he has at least some interest in being a HC.

1argoholic
12-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I talked to him in Vancouver at the Argo Bash. I've known him for a while now or at least he knows who I am when I approach him. He sort of joked about Regina saying that he could build a nice rink in the backyard and see for miles. He has been interviewed. This doesn't mean he'll get or want the job.
Now Hamilton, I hope not.

ticatfan
12-01-2011, 03:15 PM
He apparently doesn't mind ticat fans

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150390913977727&set=a.10150390901987727.352398.605367726&type=3&theater

Area 51
12-01-2011, 10:56 PM
According to Arash Madani, if O'Shea gets a HC job he's going to take Steinauer with him to be the DC.

If O'Shea does end up going to Hamilton, this could be an interesting situation - - I really don't think Steinauer's ready to be a DC at this point.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2011/12/01/argos_milanovich_staff/

argolio
12-05-2011, 01:38 AM
Apparently Kent Austin has been contacted by the Ticats, as well as the Riders. Could be a bidding war for him if he decides to leave Cornell.

Ballstothewall
12-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Apparently Kent Austin has been contacted by the Ticats, as well as the Riders. Could be a bidding war for him if he decides to leave Cornell.

Can see i guy who makes over 800,000 and gets free education for his 8 kids at 30,000 a year, come back to the Riders or the CFL, till al least his kids are out of school

argolio
12-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Yep, you nailed it.

Will
12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Can see i guy who makes over 800,000 and gets free education for his 8 kids at 30,000 a year, come back to the Riders or the CFL, till al least his kids are out of school

...you also forgot free education at a Ivy League school!

doubleblue
12-22-2011, 09:52 AM
I would hate to see O'Shea in Hamilton colours, but he has to do what is best for him and his family. He seemed close to Barker the last couple of years, almost like an assistant coach, and I believed he would just naturally step up to the DC job. So I was a bit puzzled when Jim gave the DC job to Orlando instead of Mike.
Hope the Argos can retain Mike somehow, but with Milanovich and his buddy Chris Jones entrenched in the HC and DC jobs for the immediate future, there is no step up job for him here. Maybe he feels he could still learn more as an assistant and stay on as a ST and LB coach for a while.

argomANIA
12-22-2011, 10:14 AM
O'shea lives in Dundas, ON I believe...much closer commute to Hamilton then Mississauga

doubleblue
12-22-2011, 10:42 AM
I thought Mike lived in Milton. I was at a Hockey Tournament a couple of years ago and Mike was an Assistant Coach with his son's team from Milton.
But Dundas would be close to Ivor Wynn if that's where he lives.

paulwoods13
12-22-2011, 11:56 AM
It doesn't appear that he is still in the running for HC with Hamilton. They have reportedly brought back Dickenson and Burke for second intvus, and may also be interested in Cortez. It appears Osh has two options at this point: return to Argos, probably with additional resposibilities like LB coach added on top of ST, or go somewhere else as either a DC or a ST+ coach. Mtl has apparently offered him a job to do ST, maybe with some additional responsibilities. He may need to become a defensive coordinator before becoming a HC but there's no doubt in my mind that he will be a HC in this league within a year or two. Hopefully we can keep him on our staff until that happens.

argomANIA
12-22-2011, 12:43 PM
I thought Mike lived in Milton. I was at a Hockey Tournament a couple of years ago and Mike was an Assistant Coach with his son's team from Milton.
But Dundas would be close to Ivor Wynn if that's where he lives.

You're right...it was either Folk or St. John that lived in Dundas

1argoholic
12-22-2011, 01:19 PM
I know that Mike Vanderjagt (hope I spelled that right) lives in that region as well. Not sure how far Milton comes down. Anyhow it was above that general Dundas area. We used to pass his house on the way to Valens Conservation area to ice fish. He had a set of uprights very visable with the leaves off the trees.

gilthethrill
12-22-2011, 01:44 PM

Jude resides in London...near the end of his career, he even took the Via from London to Toronto...

Skinny G
12-22-2011, 03:08 PM

Folk lives up in Oak Ridges... actually saw him a few years back when I was chilling at my friend's place...

argomANIA
12-22-2011, 03:41 PM
I know that Mike Vanderjagt (hope I spelled that right) lives in that region as well. Not sure how far Milton comes down. Anyhow it was above that general Dundas area. We used to pass his house on the way to Valens Conservation area to ice fish. He had a set of uprights very visable with the leaves off the trees.

For only $3.7 Million you can own Vandy's house!
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=10577019&PidKey=152732671

ArgoRavi
12-22-2011, 04:45 PM
For only $3.7 Million you can own Vandy's house!
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=10577019&PidKey=152732671

Vanderjagt lives down in Florida now with his family, doesn't he?

argomANIA
12-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Vanderjagt lives down in Florida now with his family, doesn't he?

Yeah, thats why he's selling the place here. But it's been for sale since the last time he was here. No luck!

Ron
12-23-2011, 09:21 AM
but there's no doubt in my mind that he will be a HC in this league within a year or two. Hopefully we can keep him on our staff until that happens.

So you're hoping Milanovich & Co fail?

paulwoods13
12-23-2011, 09:33 AM
So you're hoping Milanovich & Co fail?

Not at all. I fully expect he will get his first HC opportunity within the one- to two-year time frame I mentioned, and I expect it will be elsewhere. In the meantime, I'd like to have him stay on our staff rather than go somewhere else as an assistant. Thought that would have been clear but I guess not.

argolio
12-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Thought that would have been clear but I guess not.The weather is never clear where Ron lives.

Will
01-07-2012, 02:29 PM
With the Ticats apparently hiring Cortez, I suppose that opens the door for O'Shea to return to Toronto. I suppose Hamilton's defensive co-ordinator spot is open though so perhaps O'Shea pursues that?

Argos4Life
01-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Hopefully O'Shea comes back as the special teams coach again. Special teams have been a bright spot the last 2 years under him. No doubt it is just a matter of time though until he gets promoted somewhere, perhaps with the Argos.

ArgoRavi
01-07-2012, 05:20 PM
With the Ticats apparently hiring Cortez, I suppose that opens the door for O'Shea to return to Toronto. I suppose Hamilton's defensive co-ordinator spot is open though so perhaps O'Shea pursues that?

Defensive coordinator positions are open in both Hamilton and Edmonton so O'Shea could still be hired in either of those locations. The situation in Edmonton might depend on how he got along with Kavis Reed when Reed coached in Toronto.

AngeloV
01-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Just goes to prove that the media isn't as informed as they like to think they are. All we've been hearing all week from the media (and I like Dave Naylor but he was obviously wrong here) is that Cortez is not interested.

argotom
01-07-2012, 08:36 PM
It's those "sources" which Naylor will no doubt blame.
Either way, the hiring is great for the Cats and like the gunslinger potential for the QB's in the east, this year has an awesome potential for the east and the 401 rivalry.

gilthethrill
01-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Just goes to prove that the media isn't as informed as they like to think they are. All we've been hearing all week from the media (and I like Dave Naylor but he was obviously wrong here) is that Cortez is not interested.

I honestly did not forsee Cortez leaving Buffalo for the vacant post in Hamilton....

Will
01-07-2012, 10:50 PM
It's those "sources" which Naylor will no doubt blame.
Either way, the hiring is great for the Cats and like the gunslinger potential for the QB's in the east, this year has an awesome potential for the east and the 401 rivalry.

The QEW goes to Hamilton, the 401 doesn't.

argotom
01-08-2012, 06:17 PM
I stand corrected, how about the 407 though?

bluto
01-09-2012, 09:12 AM
being over a week into the new year, hopefully it's a bit late for Osh to move on... but the fact that he has been talking to Hamilton and that Kavis Reed needs a man to step in for Stubler has me concerned.

he's a quality coach with a bright future and i'm not sure how much longer we can keep him if we don't have any larger role for him than ST coordinator. perhaps if we're lucky enough to have him for 2012 and he then decides to accept a position elsewhere to further his career, JJ or Crawford could be groomed for the spot? i don't know if either ever wanted to coach but they've both been ST standouts for years.

it will suck having to change my signature when that day comes...

Midnight Blue
01-09-2012, 09:11 PM
being over a week into the new year, hopefully it's a bit late for Osh to move on... but the fact that he has been talking to Hamilton and that Kavis Reed needs a man to step in for Stubler has me concerned.

he's a quality coach with a bright future and i'm not sure how much longer we can keep him if we don't have any larger role for him than ST coordinator. perhaps if we're lucky enough to have him for 2012 and he then decides to accept a position elsewhere to further his career, JJ or Crawford could be groomed for the spot? i don't know if either ever wanted to coach but they've both been ST standouts for years.

it will suck having to change my signature when that day comes...

I too, hope Mike O'Shea stays with the Argos. There were players who epitomized professionalism, and there were players who epitomized ferocity, but only Mike O'Shea, epitomized Professional Ferocity. He killed everyone on the field, while playing within the rules. I hope, that someone in Management says to Mr. O'Shea: "You're welcome to be an Argonaut, for as long as you want to be."

I certainly wouldn't begrudge ST Coach O'Shea if he took a spot elsewhere, to gain some and more experience, and I certainly wish our present new Coaches and Team the best of luck, but I hope that Mike O'Shea isn't in any rush; another year or two as Special Teams Coach will not only allow him to refine (and possibly re-define) the role of the ST Coach, but it would also give him more of an inside feel, of ALL of the inner workings of Coaching and Management, so that he will be, in a few years, ready to step into ANY Coaching position, on ANY team in this League, and do well....
I hope, inside my heart, that Mike O'Shea is an Argo forever.
Hopefully, inside his heart, he feels the same way too.
Nothing wrong with a bit of "outside-team" whoring, do get more experience,
but I hope he eventually comes home, and eventually leads this team.

The stars have, for over five thousand years,

been lining up, for his grand invincibility....

Ka' Pla !

argolio
01-10-2012, 12:41 AM
He killed everyone on the field, while playing within the rules.But like most great linebackers, he did bend them occasionally!

bluto
01-10-2012, 09:08 AM
The stars have, for over five thousand years,

been lining up, for his grand invincibility....

Ka' Pla !

barkeep, i'll have a double of whatever this guy had...

7dj83r8f78t4alf8