PDA

View Full Version : Is the Eastern Final the most important game in the history of the franchise?

Will
11-07-2017, 08:23 AM
For off-field purposes assuming that they can get a good crowd out with a good chunk of casuals?

Scooter McCray
11-07-2017, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't say it is the most important for the franchise. I would say it is the most important for the current executives. I would like to know what they are doing other than relying on their loyal fan base to seĺl more tickets.

Mightygoose
11-07-2017, 10:03 AM
I would only say, it's the most important so far. But I agree with the above, this will be a big measuring stick for this management group.

As far as what they're doing. Lemon was on CP-24 yesterday and Wilder was on the Social so they're using Bell's resources and programs aiming for outside of the core audience. Lemon was on Boom 97.3 (also owned by Bell) earlier today. Seeing lots of TV spots on TSN outside of CFL telecasts so there's definitely a push happening.

RB957
11-07-2017, 10:52 AM
I would only say, it's the most important so far. But I agree with the above, this will be a big measuring stick for this management group.

As far as what they're doing. Lemon was on CP-24 yesterday and Wilder was on the Social so they're using Bell's resources and programs aiming for outside of the core audience. Lemon was on Boom 97.3 (also owned by Bell) earlier today. Seeing lots of TV spots on TSN outside of CFL telecasts so there's definitely a push happening.

It is important because it's the East Division final, so I would hope that there would be a push happening. The problem is if the stadium doesn't look full, that's all you're going to hear or read about, regardless about how good the football game itself is. It seems like some members of the media are like vultures, circling around hoping to find a carcass to pick at. I for one, hope the place is rocking and we make it to the Grey Cup, and then cap off a remarkable comeback year by bringing the Cup back to T.O. That will be a story worth talking about. See you on the 19th.

ArgoGabe22
11-07-2017, 12:25 PM
Couldn't one ask this same question before the 2012 Grey Cup? And look at how that turned out going forward in 2013.

R.J
11-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Couldn't one ask this same question before the 2012 Grey Cup? And look at how that turned out going forward in 2013.
I thought the same thing.

Neely2005
11-07-2017, 02:13 PM

They've also been running advertisements on TV, Radio, Facebook and the Internet.

Tau Ceti
11-07-2017, 08:49 PM
Team is being very aggressive remarketing online, which is a smart way to spend ad money.

Ticketing suggested today they're pacing better than the 2016 opener -- 24,800 or just shy of a sellout. It's still early so the trend could change but that's really encouraging news.

Neely2005
11-07-2017, 09:32 PM
Team is being very aggressive remarketing online, which is a smart way to spend ad money.

Ticketing suggested today they're pacing better than the 2016 opener -- 24,800 or just shy of a sellout. It's still early so the trend could change but that's really encouraging news.

That's excellent news! Is 27,000 a sellout?

Tau Ceti
11-07-2017, 10:05 PM
That's excellent news! Is 27,000 a sellout?

According to CFLDB it's 27,000, which I tend to trust the most.

Wiki and other places still list official figures of 25,000 for CFL and 30,000 for soccer but 27,000 was widely reported around the time of the opener in 2016. Given that we've never flirted with the number I guess it's never needed to be asked...

Topshelf
11-07-2017, 10:11 PM
Its irrelevant. They'll paper the house if needed, they wont want the embarassment of an empty east side for a conference final.
They can give the seats to youth clubs, etc, maybe even give them away at pizza pizza.
Internally it is a measuring stick though, its too easy and conveneint to make TFC comparisons. Both clubs will play within weeks, both a conference final.
I think it'll be a record crowd for the argos at BMO, 27 or 28. But it means nothing. Next year will be the same discussion. We stress far too much about the crowds, the team isnt moving, the Argos will never fold. So why worry if there are 30,000 fans or 3,000?

Tau Ceti
11-07-2017, 10:31 PM
There's no indication whatsoever that the current ownership is papering anything. If lying were their game plan then they wouldn't have announced the lowest attendance averages in the team's modern history each of the last two seasons. What they've been doing is announcing honest to God actuals while eliminating papering. If you'd actually talked to ticketing yourself (I suspect you haven't) then you'd find that tickets are a little harder to come by than a slice of pizza right now.

Neely2005
11-08-2017, 06:17 AM
Its irrelevant. They'll paper the house if needed, they wont want the embarassment of an empty east side for a conference final.
They can give the seats to youth clubs, etc, maybe even give them away at pizza pizza.
Internally it is a measuring stick though, its too easy and conveneint to make TFC comparisons. Both clubs will play within weeks, both a conference final.
I think it'll be a record crowd for the argos at BMO, 27 or 28. But it means nothing. Next year will be the same discussion. We stress far too much about the crowds, the team isnt moving, the Argos will never fold. So why worry if there are 30,000 fans or 3,000?

They've never papered the house at BMO Field, not even for the first game ever against Hamilton or the Grey Cup. Why would they start now?

DoubleBlue_Red
11-08-2017, 08:15 AM
Weather is going to be a huge factor.

Scooter McCray
11-08-2017, 08:55 AM
I was speaking with my ticket rep yesterday and 3000 tickets have been sold. They are selling 1000 per day. That should get us to about the season average of 14000. And since the Argos have been such a hot ticket the braintrust decided to raise pricing for the playoffs. Copeland must really want a sellout.

ArgoGabe22
11-08-2017, 09:32 AM
. And since the Argos have been such a hot ticket the braintrust decided to raise pricing for the playoffs. Copeland must really want a sellout.

I read tickets are priced low, starting at only $19.

Mightygoose
11-08-2017, 09:36 AM
On ticketmaster the 19.00 tickets are alresdy sold out.

For clarification, did the rep say 3000 sold to date? That's very low.

Or did he mean 3000 sold since the Argos clinched first and the date was set?

paulwoods13
11-08-2017, 10:05 AM
I'm fairly sure there are more than 3,000 season tickets, and those were all "sold" (ie included in our ticket packages) months ago. So if the sales rep said 3,000, it likely means new sales over and above STs. Mind you, this board has had a bad experience with comments attributed to sales reps. :-(

DoubleBlue_Red
11-08-2017, 10:20 AM
There are extra expanded seats right now on the north concourse so capacity for CFL is prolly about 27-28k.

Will
11-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Can't rely too much on ticket reps for that information.

RB957
11-08-2017, 10:25 AM
This issue re: tickets sold is confusing. If you look at the seating map on Ticketmaster, the west side is filling in nicely. My section, 223, has only a couple of partly free rows. Let's hope the sales keep coming.

Will
11-08-2017, 10:28 AM
This issue re: tickets sold is confusing. If you look at the seating map on Ticketmaster, the west side is filling in nicely. My section, 223, has only a couple of partly free rows. Let's hope the sales keep coming.

I kinda felt that the Ticketmaster chart (at least a few days ago) looked a tad underwhelming in spots.

R.J
11-08-2017, 11:25 AM
I'm surprised people are expecting a sell out or close to it..................

Scooter McCray
11-08-2017, 11:35 AM
For clarification. My rep said they are selling 1000 per day since Sunday. Add in 4500 STH if they all come we are at 7500. If they keep selling 1000 per day they could conceivably hit 19500. My gold seats which were $75 face value in regular season are selling for $82.50 face value in the playoffs. And I only sit at the 30 yard line. At the dome I paid that for club seats on the 50 yard line. I want to see a full house but this pricing won't make it happen for a team that is out of sight and out of mind. If they do paper the house at our expense after two years of saying they don't do that than I will be a little put out.

Neely2005
11-08-2017, 12:22 PM
They've also been running advertisements on TV, Radio, Facebook and the Internet.

http://i66.tinypic.com/10r70bn.jpg

Scooter McCray
11-08-2017, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=Neely2005;118391]http://i66.tinypic.com/10r70bn.jpg[/QUOTE Splendid

Neely2005
11-08-2017, 12:35 PM
A good read:

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/7868670-argos-prepare-for-next-step-back-to-relevancy/

Mightygoose
11-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Appreciate the clarification. That makes sense and where I figured current sales are at.

The upper east side row 6 onwards are priced at 27.00 each so that's where the majority of casual sales will be IMO.

Usually ticket sales increase the pace closer to the event, plus next week there will be sales for RedBlack or Rider fans to add to the mix.

Hopefully a good crowd but not expecting a sellout. Since the announce scanned attendance, I'll be pleased with anything over 20K

R.J
11-08-2017, 02:33 PM
I think they need to keep the East Upper deck cheap to sell more tickets. If there's not more than 20k for the East Final.............................. never mind.

jojoheath
11-08-2017, 03:17 PM
Just find a way to fill up the lower east side, it looks so bad on tv. That is my only complaint I have with management. If they want people to come, it has to look better than rows of empty seats. Put the tv camera on the other side of the field if you have to. They are doing more damage to the brand, if that's even possible

Neely2005
11-08-2017, 03:25 PM
Just find a way to fill up the lower east side, it looks so bad on tv. That is my only complaint I have with management. If they want people to come, it has to look better than rows of empty seats. Put the tv camera on the other side of the field if you have to. They are doing more damage to the brand, if that's even possible

The problem is that the TV cameras are mounted and wired on the west side. Moving them would be pretty difficult.

R.J
11-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Or better yet, so called Argo fans actually show up to their teams games. Supposedly huge number of tv watchers (in the +100,000's), yet can't even get 25,000 bums in seats in a region with over 6 million people.

Neely2005
11-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Or better yet, so called Argo fans actually show up to their teams games. Supposedly huge number of tv watchers (in the +100,000's), yet can't even get 25,000 bums in seats in a region with over 6 million people.

But the couch is so comfortable...
:-)

Mr. Pike
11-08-2017, 03:54 PM
For clarification. My rep said they are selling 1000 per day since Sunday. Add in 4500 STH if they all come we are at 7500. If they keep selling 1000 per day they could conceivably hit 19500. My gold seats which were $75 face value in regular season are selling for $82.50 face value in the playoffs. And I only sit at the 30 yard line. At the dome I paid that for club seats on the 50 yard line. I want to see a full house but this pricing won't make it happen for a team that is out of sight and out of mind. If they do paper the house at our expense after two years of saying they don't do that than I will be a little put out.

But tickets went on sale when the Argo's clinched a playoff spot in mid October (whenever it was) so I would assume they would have been selling since then , not a 1000 a day but still selling , so it is hard to say where sales are at right now .

argolio
11-08-2017, 04:27 PM
Given current market conditions, I'd be happy hitting 20,000.

As for the original question, the answer is no. It's just the most important game this year.

R.J
11-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Given current market conditions, I'd be happy hitting 20,000.
Ottawa's expecting 24,000 for the Semi Final, and Hamilton has sold out each playoff game they've had at Tim Hortons Field - 20,000 is sad, especially for Division Finals.

argolio
11-08-2017, 05:07 PM
This ain't Hamilton or Ottawa.

R.J
11-08-2017, 05:18 PM
This ain't Hamilton or Ottawa.
No kidding, those Cities actually care about their teams.
Was Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall right, does the League need to look at alternatives ?

Neely2005
11-08-2017, 06:06 PM
No kidding, those Cities actually care about their teams.
Was Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall right, does the League need to look at alternatives ?

Don't worry about it, just go to the game and enjoy it. And if you can bring some friends.

Golden Fleece
11-08-2017, 06:08 PM
I would love to experience a sellout atmosphere at BMO for the Eastern Final. I know it would be good for the Argos bottom line. Ultimately, all that matters personally is that my son and I are pumped for the game and we're ready to have a good time.

R.J
11-09-2017, 01:26 AM
https://theathletic.com/149001/2017/11/07/how-the-argonauts-are-planning-to-get-your-attention-for-the-cfls-east-division-final/

Good to see/hear that the Franchise is doing all they can to sell this game out. I really hope that we get at least 25k at the game, we need this right now, something to hopefully build off of.

Neely2005
11-09-2017, 08:42 AM
https://theathletic.com/149001/2017/11/07/how-the-argonauts-are-planning-to-get-your-attention-for-the-cfls-east-division-final/

Good to see/hear that the Franchise is doing all they can to sell this game out. I really hope that we get at least 25k at the game, we need this right now, something to hopefully build off of.

Thanks for posting, that was a good read.

1971GreyCup
11-09-2017, 08:59 AM
My son and I are so excited about the CFL Eastern Final that we're driving to Ottawa on Sunday and will scout the opposition. Nothing better than fall in Canada and being in the CFL playoffs!

Topshelf
11-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Even if they sell it out, next year we're back to 15000. That's why, long term the crowd is irrelevant. Attending Argos games just isn't a priority in this city. We have a strong fanbase, just not one that feels motivated to come out, for a variety of reasons.
But it will be nice to experience a packed house for football at BMO. It's an eastern final, I'm really optimistic itll be full, or at least feel full.

Golden Fleece
11-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Even if they sell it out, next year we're back to 15000. That's why, long term the crowd is irrelevant. Attending Argos games just isn't a priority in this city. We have a strong fanbase, just not one that feels motivated to come out, for a variety of reasons.
But it will be nice to experience a packed house for football at BMO. It's an eastern final, I'm really optimistic itll be full, or at least feel full.

I think a sellout could have a bit more spillover effect next year. I have friends buying tickets for the Eastern Final because I got them out to a regular season game this year. A sellout experience can lead them to come to an extra game next year or bring a friend themselves. Baby steps, but any extra bum in the seat makes a difference.

R.J
11-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Put these in the wrong thread, make more sense here IMO.
http://www.bttoronto.ca/videos/argos-to-play-first-playoff-game-at-bmo-field-on-sunday/

https://globalnews.ca/video/3852135/the-argos-gearing-up-for-the-eastern-division-final

Neely2005
11-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Argonauts commercial during the Bruins - Leafs game and they just interviewed Wilder & Woods during a stoppage in play.

R.J
11-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Argonauts commercial during the Bruins - Leafs game and they just interviewed Wilder & Woods during a stoppage in play.
Can't say that the Owners aren't trying here.

Neely2005
11-11-2017, 08:27 AM

I agree but some people will probably still say that they're not doing enough.

Tobythor
11-11-2017, 08:59 AM
I think a sellout could have a bit more spillover effect next year. I have friends buying tickets for the Eastern Final because I got them out to a regular season game this year. A sellout experience can lead them to come to an extra game next year or bring a friend themselves. Baby steps, but any extra bum in the seat makes a difference.

I agree fully, I got twenty coming to the game, most of these people are coming because they either had a great time coming to a game I brought them to this year or heard how much fun the tailgate and BMO field are. A loud sell out crowd will only help them enjoy themselves and encourage them to come out more. I always ask people I take if they had more fun then an average Jays game and they always answer yes. It's about convincing the casual sports fan, that might go to a couple Jays games a year to have a few beers and have a day out with friends that going to one or two Argos games a year might be the more fun option.

Joe Barnes
11-11-2017, 10:16 AM

From what I have seen, the last week or so has been great promotion-wise. Full credit to the owners for this. But why hasn't there been more like this all along?

Joe Barnes
11-11-2017, 10:23 AM
I agree fully, I got twenty coming to the game, most of these people are coming because they either had a great time coming to a game I brought them to this year or heard how much fun the tailgate and BMO field are. A loud sell out crowd will only help them enjoy themselves and encourage them to come out more. I always ask people I take if they had more fun then an average Jays game and they always answer yes. It's about convincing the casual sports fan, that might go to a couple Jays games a year to have a few beers and have a day out with friends that going to one or two Argos games a year might be the more fun option.

Agreed. There is absolutely no comparison between a Jays game and an Argo game...Argos are superior in in-game presentation, value for dollar, atmosphere (despite crowd size differences). In fact, taking ticket prices ($175/ticket for a Green) into consideration, Argos have it over the Leafs, as well..certainly for a family on any sort of budget.

Will
11-11-2017, 10:26 AM
From what I have seen, the last week or so has been great promotion-wise. Full credit to the owners for this. But why hasn't there been more like this all along?

Budget?

Joe Barnes
11-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Budget?

Bell doesn't have the budget? Also, what is the cost of cross promoting the Argos on other Bell properties, such as they have recently (e.g. Wilder on The Social)? Or are the Argos under $ constraints I'm not aware of for promotion?

Will
11-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Bell doesn't have the budget? Also, what is the cost of cross promoting the Argos on other Bell properties, such as they have recently (e.g. Wilder on The Social)? Or are the Argos under $ constraints I'm not aware of for promotion?

Did read somewhere before the season that Argo promotional budget had been slashed. I believe it was Bruce Arthur in the Star.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/football/2017/06/25/argos-are-back-but-fans-stay-away-arthur.html

About 3/4ths the way down.

Joe Barnes
11-11-2017, 10:38 AM

Don't get me wrong - I'm really glad they are doing it and that the result is BMO is full for this game, sparks an Argo revival, we average 25,000/game next year and this attendance question is behind us!

Joe Barnes
11-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Did read somewhere before the season that Argo promotional budget had been slashed. I believe it was Bruce Arthur in the Star.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/football/2017/06/25/argos-are-back-but-fans-stay-away-arthur.html

About 3/4ths the way down.

Ah, yes - I remember this article...still, bewildering. If last years marketing 'didn't land' how can you expect it to land by cutting the budget? This year's first two games had puny crowds, with virtually no one in the East side, looked bad on TV, etc., why not put players on other Bell properties then, when there were still 6 or 7 home games left? Morning shows, and the like, are always interviewing people promoting events. Anyway, that's all behind the team. They are doing the right thing, vis a vis promotion, now. Hopefully this type of thing continues into next season, regardless of the result on November 19th...

Neely2005
11-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Ah, yes - I remember this article...still, bewildering. If last years marketing 'didn't land' how can you expect it to land by cutting the budget? This year's first two games had puny crowds, with virtually no one in the East side, looked bad on TV, etc., why not put players on other Bell properties then, when there were still 6 or 7 home games left? Morning shows, and the like, are always interviewing people promoting events. Anyway, that's all behind the team. They are doing the right thing, vis a vis promotion, now. Hopefully this type of thing continues into next season, regardless of the result on November 19th...

Last year's budget was well above average due to the new owners, new stadium and the Grey Cup. This year is back to average. Both are significantly more than Braley ever spent.

R.J
11-11-2017, 12:03 PM
While I would love to see the team advertising like this all the time, I'm pretty sure that has to do with the teams history, because if you were to actually look into it, no CFL team or team in Toronto for that matter advertises as much as the Argo did last season, at least not for the long haul. Digital media seems to be the way the everyone is going now, along with "picking there spots" in terms of radio and tv ads I suppose. Where I'd like to see a big change in is Toronto's sports media discussing the Argos and the games, it's essentially free advertising, and where the Argos always seem to be lacking, especially in comparison to the LEafs, Blue Jays, and Raptors. TFC talk has picked up a bit IMO, more so on the Fan590.

Word of mouth is better than any advertising IMO.

AngeloV
11-11-2017, 05:19 PM

With the increase in numbers of people actually working in the office, I suppose the money to hire them had to come from somewhere else. TBH, I have never received as many phone calls from the Argos office as I have this season, especially over the last month. Hopefully, going forward, having more people in sales will be money better spent than strictly on advertising.

jerrym
11-11-2017, 08:18 PM

Both points have some validity. There could be a limited increase in next year's attendance from a sellout or a near sellout that helped build a vibrant atmosphere.
However, the biggest sports event in the world, the Olympics, with more exposure than any single sport can deliver does not result in large increases in most of its sports' recognition or attendance long-term because in most cases the hype of those sports and their stars during the Olympics does not last. In most cases, six months later people cannot remember the names of the athletes that they were highly impressed by during the Olympics if they did not already closely follow those sport or their names were not repeated on an ongoing basis in the media.
What works is ongoing regular media attention involving a sense of excitement and expectation of success. I love the increased media effort the Argos have put out for the finals, but unless it is sustained long term, it will at best make only a temporary difference.

Bruro
11-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Time to pack in the franchise if they cant get close to a sellout next weekend. I hope they do. Will be another embarrassment for TSN and the league if they have tons of empty red seats for this game. Lets admit it: how many of us were secretly routing for the NY Red Bulls to eliminate Toronto FC last weekend? :) i know i was.

Joe Barnes
11-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Time to pack in the franchise if they cant get close to a sellout next weekend. I hope they do. Will be another embarrassment for TSN and the league if they have tons of empty red seats for this game. Lets admit it: how many of us were secretly routing for the NY Red Bulls to eliminate Toronto FC last weekend? :) i know i was.

No! Good luck to TFC! Let's fill BMO with the Argo fan base next Sunday - bring on the RIDERS! And their fans - it should be a great atmosphere! Then, TFC can have BMO back for their conference final. Two championships this fall would be great!

Bruro
11-12-2017, 07:43 PM
You cant deny that the popularity of TFC (running at the same time all year with the CFL) has only helped suck the life out of the Argos fan base in this city (similiar to what the BJs started doing in the 80s). In fact notice the three weakest CFL franchises all have MLS teams. Its not a coincidence. I personally believe that TFC is now at its height and the novelty will start to erode, especially if they lose Giovinco and Alterdore in the next couple of years and they return to mediocrity or worse

jerrym
11-12-2017, 07:50 PM
You cant deny that the popularity of TFC (running at the same time all year with the CFL) has only helped suck the life out of the Argos fan base in this city (similiar to what the BJs started doing in the 80s). In fact notice the three weakest CFL franchises all have MLS teams. Its not a coincidence. I personally believe that TFC is now at its height and the novelty will start to erode, especially if they lose Giovinco and Alterdore in the next couple of years and they return to mediocrity or worse

I will continue to be an Argo fan regardless of their or other teams' popularity.

ToneDeaf
11-12-2017, 08:42 PM
No! Good luck to TFC! Let's fill BMO with the Argo fan base next Sunday - bring on the RIDERS! And their fans - it should be a great atmosphere! Then, TFC can have BMO back for their conference final. Two championships this fall would be great!

I’ll drink to that! This town ain’t too big for two (or more) championship teams.

Let’s put the Grey Cup in the trophy cabinet alongside the MLS cup. It’s about Toronto.

Topshelf
11-12-2017, 10:25 PM
I think BMO has been almost seamless for the two teams. Right now it's clear BMO is home to both, you really can't tell the Argos play there when it's a TFC game, and aside from the lack of painted endzones it does feel like an argos home field during their games.
As long as the grass holds up, and remains for Seasons to come, I think this whole TFC/Argos fight will die off, it's sure been quieter this year.
But to get back on topic, I'm much more confident of our chances against the riders. I think it'll be a great atmosphere and a great qb battle.

RB957
11-12-2017, 10:52 PM
But to get back on topic, I'm much more confident of our chances against the riders. I think it'll be a great atmosphere and a great qb battle.

I'm not sure I agree. The Roughriders have played well of late. They have a number of offensive weapons in their receiving corps to spread the ball around to and Marcus Thigpen appears to have given them a running game. Defence looked really good today. However, our defence is much stronger than Ottawa's and should be able to pressure Kevin Glenn like Ottawa was not able to. I think it is going to be a great game. Argos will prevail!!

Neely2005
11-13-2017, 06:28 AM
I think BMO has been almost seamless for the two teams. Right now it's clear BMO is home to both, you really can't tell the Argos play there when it's a TFC game, and aside from the lack of painted endzones it does feel like an argos home field during their games.
As long as the grass holds up, and remains for Seasons to come, I think this whole TFC/Argos fight will die off, it's sure been quieter this year.

Pretty sure that TFC fans still brought their No Argos @ BMO banners to games this season.

ToneDeaf
11-13-2017, 08:34 AM
Pretty sure that TFC fans still brought their No Argos @ BMO banners to games this season.

Some did, yes. It would be untruthful to deny it, however those voices are getting quieter and fewer over time.

It’s unfair to taint a whole fanbase due to the actions and voices of a few who just seem incapable of getting over the whole thing.

timlb01
11-13-2017, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure I agree. The Roughriders have played well of late. They have a number of offensive weapons in their receiving corps to spread the ball around to and Marcus Thigpen appears to have given them a running game. Defence looked really good today. However, our defence is much stronger than Ottawa's and should be able to pressure Kevin Glenn like Ottawa was not able to. I think it is going to be a great game. Argos will prevail!!

I would have rather played Ottawa. The Riders make me nervous especially how they have used Glenn and Bridge this season. That is one cocky team. This should be one heck of a game.

Neely2005
11-13-2017, 12:28 PM
I would have rather played Ottawa. The Riders make me nervous especially how they have used Glenn and Bridge this season. That is one cocky team. This should be one heck of a game.

They're a good representation of their fans then.

DoubleBlue_Red
11-13-2017, 01:20 PM

That is only a very small faction of TFC support - namely the Inebbriatti. They are the most hardcore TFC supporters group and are well-known to be jerks, even by other TFC supporters groups. They make up a very small quantity of the overall fanbase. And I believe they have been prohibited from bringing that banner.

Topshelf
11-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Now that said, if the weather comes up bad and the field is torn to shreds before TFC'S home semifinal, the debate will be back on. And if they ever revert to an artificial surface it'll be worse.
But aside from a very small element of tfc supporters, the argos have become a non issue,
Far too much energy has been wasted on this topic.
We're one win from the big game, and I think we've been the most deserving team in the east this year. Never been a fan of the cross over, hoping for a true east/west grey cup

Neely2005
11-14-2017, 06:53 AM
That is only a very small faction of TFC support - namely the Inebbriatti. They are the most hardcore TFC supporters group and are well-known to be jerks, even by other TFC supporters groups. They make up a very small quantity of the overall fanbase. And I believe they have been prohibited from bringing that banner.

The banners were still there at games this season.

Look at the second reply to this Tweet:

@TorontoArgos: The stage is set 😬 the first-ever home playoff game at #BMOField is this Sunday!

🎟 » https://t.co/7944E3xtos… https://t.co/RHROhLbg55

https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/930233906187591680

BATKINSON001
11-14-2017, 09:55 AM

@TorontoArgos: The stage is set 😬 the first-ever home playoff game at #BMOField is this Sunday!

🎟 » https://t.co/7944E3xtos… https://t.co/RHROhLbg55

First link doesn't work. The others do. The argos haters will never go away. We fans and the team just have to keep proving them wrong. Winning will do that.

timlb01
11-14-2017, 01:08 PM

@TorontoArgos: The stage is set  the first-ever home playoff game at #BMOField is this Sunday!

 » https://t.co/7944E3xtos… https://t.co/RHROhLbg55

What a jerk... oh well since 1873 and we played on the BMO sight since 1950's. Get over it we all have to share and get along.

Joe Barnes
11-14-2017, 09:41 PM
Now that said, if the weather comes up bad and the field is torn to shreds before TFC'S home semifinal, the debate will be back on. And if they ever revert to an artificial surface it'll be worse.
But aside from a very small element of tfc supporters, the argos have become a non issue,
Far too much energy has been wasted on this topic.
We're one win from the big game, and I think we've been the most deserving team in the east this year. Never been a fan of the cross over, hoping for a true east/west grey cup

I am a big fan of, and prefer, the natural surface, but if BMO did revert to artificial, why would it be such an issue? Six of the 22 current MLS teams play on artificial surfaces (Also, NYFC plays at Yankee Stadium, with a poorly covered baseball infield as part of the 'pitch' - hardly ideal). That's almost a third of the leagues teams, so the league itself clearly has no issue with it. There are teams in Scotland that play on the fake stuff. Today's artificial turf is not like yesterday's indoor/outdoor stuff and if it enabled BMO to host Argos, TFC and even, one day, the Wolfpack, with a consistent, quality field, isn't that better?

ArgoGabe22
11-14-2017, 10:10 PM
Well for my (our) sanity, I sure hope people realize that this is a must attend and we greatly outnumber the amount of watermelons. If not, I won't hear the end of it from "Canada's team".

Neely2005
11-14-2017, 10:28 PM
Well for my (our) sanity, I sure hope people realize that this is a must attend and we greatly outnumber the amount of watermelons. If not, I won't hear the end of it from "Canada's team".

Canada's team? Isn't that's the Raptors and the Blue Jays?

DoubleBlue_Red
11-15-2017, 09:39 AM
I am a big fan of, and prefer, the natural surface, but if BMO did revert to artificial, why would it be such an issue? Six of the 22 current MLS teams play on artificial surfaces (Also, NYFC plays at Yankee Stadium, with a poorly covered baseball infield as part of the 'pitch' - hardly ideal). That's almost a third of the leagues teams, so the league itself clearly has no issue with it. There are teams in Scotland that play on the fake stuff. Today's artificial turf is not like yesterday's indoor/outdoor stuff and if it enabled BMO to host Argos, TFC and even, one day, the Wolfpack, with a consistent, quality field, isn't that better?

This isn't Scotland and TFC is a top 5 MLS club. The paying customers will never compromise on the grass.

Neely2005
11-15-2017, 12:43 PM
This isn't Scotland and TFC is a top 5 MLS club. The paying customers will never compromise on the grass.

Who cares, it's a non issue. There have been 21 CFL games played @ BMO Field with 0 problems. It's time for TFC fans to stop whining about sharing a city owned stadium and STFU.

Mightygoose
11-15-2017, 04:10 PM
"The response from our fans and the city of Toronto has been amazing."

More than 20,000 tickets have been sold for Sunday's Eastern Final at #BMOField.

🗞 » https://t.co/jvputKsmGH https://t.co/BBVxW4WZjs

AngeloV
11-15-2017, 07:10 PM

If the Argos ever get popular enough to start getting 25k per game, it wouldn't surprise me to see them move to field turf. It is FIFA approved after all. There are still too many complaints from players about the hazards of running from the grass portion of the field to the turf portion. At this point, the football team has no leverage, but if they become profitable, all bets are off.

Joe Barnes
11-15-2017, 07:11 PM

I, too, am a fan of the natural grass surface (though I wish there was a way to make the entire CFL field grass) but, if the city decides to maximize the usage of the stadium by installing fake, no fan base will have a say!

Joe Barnes
11-15-2017, 07:16 PM

More than 20,000 tickets have been sold for Sunday's Eastern Final at #BMOField.

 » https://t.co/jvputKsmGH https://t.co/BBVxW4WZjs

It's only Wednesday, so there truly is a chance of 23 - 25,000, which would be amazing. Right now, the forecast is 3 degrees, with sun and only a 305 of flurries...in other words, perfect football weather! Bring it on!

ToneDeaf
11-15-2017, 09:35 PM
I, too, am a fan of the natural grass surface (though I wish there was a way to make the entire CFL field grass) but, if the city decides to maximize the usage of the stadium by installing fake, no fan base will have a say!

The City is the owner but not the operator, that is MLSE and as such and by contract, they decide which surface covers BMO field.

But the surface needs to be discussed elsewhere in a seperate thread if necessary, to be honest. This is an important thread about the importance of the upcoming Argos game. I’m hoping and expecting the attendance to be big, blue and loud and don’t expect to be disappointed.

Positive Argos thread about big, exciting Argos game. Other stuff belongs elsewhere.

Joe Barnes
11-15-2017, 10:02 PM
The City is the owner but not the operator, that is MLSE and as such and by contract, they decide which surface covers BMO field.

But the surface needs to be discussed elsewhere in a seperate thread if necessary, to be honest. This is an important thread about the importance of the upcoming Argos game. I’m hoping and expecting the attendance to be big, blue and loud and don’t expect to be disappointed.

Positive Argos thread about big, exciting Argos game. Other stuff belongs elsewhere.

Yes, we did go off on a bit of a tangent there! One thing we can all agree on is how great it will be to have a large and boisterous crowd at the game on Sunday.

ToneDeaf
11-15-2017, 10:08 PM
Yes, we did go off on a bit of a tangent there! One thing we can all agree on is how great it will be to have a large and boisterous crowd at the game on Sunday.

For sure Joe and cheers. Big game, big noise, big future.

Migs
11-15-2017, 10:32 PM
It's only Wednesday, so there truly is a chance of 23 - 25,000, which would be amazing. Right now, the forecast is 3 degrees, with sun and only a 305 of flurries...in other words, perfect football weather! Bring it on!

Perfect football weather. I’m looking forward to the battle of RBs, Wilder & Thigpen.

argolio
11-15-2017, 10:53 PM
Perfect football weather. I’m looking forward to the battle of RBs, Wilder & Thigpen.Calling for wet flurries as of now. Hopefully more flurry than wet.

jerrym
11-16-2017, 01:17 AM

 » https://t.co/jvputKsmGH https://t.co/BBVxW4WZjs

Hopefully, the Argos do a better job of strategizing and building on this than they did following their 2012 Grey Cup win.

LLB997
11-16-2017, 08:48 AM
just picked up my ducats. travelling a great distance to see my boys sew this up and play for the ultimate prize on the 26th.

Shipyard
11-16-2017, 11:43 AM
According to CFLDB it's 27,000, which I tend to trust the most.

Wiki and other places still list official figures of 25,000 for CFL and 30,000 for soccer but 27,000 was widely reported around the time of the opener in 2016. Given that we've never flirted with the number I guess it's never needed to be asked...

26500 is sellout including field seats. 27700 is sellout for soccer (actual seats). Everything else is standing room or a Leiweke-ized number

Argo57
11-16-2017, 06:14 PM
Who cares, it's a non issue. There have been 21 CFL games played @ BMO Field with 0 problems. It's time for TFC fans to stop whining about sharing a city owned stadium and STFU.

Agreed Neely!

Neely2005
11-19-2017, 10:37 PM

Nice to see the No Argos @ BMO banner hanging off of the Queen Street overpass as we drove southbound on the DVP around 11:30 AM this morning.

BATKINSON001
11-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Nice to see the No Argos @ BMO banner hanging off of the Queen Street overpass as we drove southbound on the DVP around 11:30 AM this morning.got a pic?

Topshelf
11-19-2017, 11:07 PM
Great win by the Argos. Solid crowd considering the weather and the Santa Claus parade. Nice to see a lot of media attention.
On to the grey cup. If Calgary just plays a zone D all game, Ray may shred them.

Neely2005
11-19-2017, 11:13 PM
got a pic?

Nope I was driving.

Golden Fleece
11-20-2017, 06:55 AM
Great win by the Argos. Solid crowd considering the weather and the Santa Claus parade. Nice to see a lot of media attention.
On to the grey cup. If Calgary just plays a zone D all game, Ray may shred them.

They were playing a lot of man against Edmonton last night and gave up two big first down conversions late in zone, so I would expect them to mix it up.

ArgoGabe22
11-20-2017, 04:03 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hey <a href="https://twitter.com/elvisrun?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@elvisrun</a>, did you do this? <a href="https://t.co/a764HR2oZB">pic.twitter.com/a764HR2oZB</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Mike (@torontomike) <a href="https://twitter.com/torontomike/status/932296647064686593?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 19, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BATKINSON001
11-20-2017, 04:11 PM
They never give up do they?

They're like roaches or bedbugs.

Downtownfan
11-20-2017, 04:19 PM
Wow, that's just weird.

argolio
11-20-2017, 04:20 PM
They sort of remind me of how Scientology responds to that Leah Remini show: stuck in their own bubble, and not realizing that they're fighting a losing battle.

Neely2005
11-20-2017, 05:13 PM
got a pic?

A different one at a different location posted above by Gabe.

Neely2005
11-20-2017, 05:28 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hey <a href="https://twitter.com/elvisrun?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@elvisrun</a>, did you do this? <a href="https://t.co/a764HR2oZB">pic.twitter.com/a764HR2oZB</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Mike (@torontomike) <a href="https://twitter.com/torontomike/status/932296647064686593?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 19, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

@tsnmikehogan: @torontomike @elvisrun Giovinco saw paint on the field today. It may keep him out of the lineup for 3 months. Glad… https://t.co/uJcYOqiAyL

https://twitter.com/tsnmikehogan/status/932484800480514048

Joe Barnes
11-20-2017, 06:54 PM
As I already posted on another thread: I'd say the people who hung that banner either a) have way too much time on their hands, b) are the type who will try and ruin other peoples fun (cowardly, anonymous bullies, in other words - I'd have more respect for them if they'd at least stood with the banner, but alas, no) or c) just need to grow up. Probably a combination of all three. Certainly not a reflection of all TFC fans, I'm sure, and certainly not going to ruin my memories of what was a truly fantastic day for Argo fans.

ToneDeaf
11-20-2017, 08:54 PM
Joe is right. Why pay any attention to an obviously attention-seeking prank carried out by morons?

The Argos just had a rip-roaring game to get to the Cup final and we’re concerned by a banner?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8