PDA

View Full Version : Argos sign 4 Imports

ArgoGabe22
05-10-2012, 02:34 PM
The Toronto Argonauts signed four import players on Thursday. Defensive backs Ahmad Carroll and Jamaan Webb were added, along with defensive end Curtis Johnson and receiver Jessie Hubbard.

A 2004 first round NFL draft pick by the Green Bay Packers, Carroll started 27 games for the Packers and went on to play with the Jacksonville Jaguars and the New York Jets, where he started 16 games.
A graduate of Bethany College, Webb accumulated 120 total tackles in his two-year college career.
Johnson has previously seen action with the Indianapolis Colts where he played in seven games and the Dallas Cowboys where he played in three games. He has also seen action with the St. Louis Rams and New Orleans Saints.
Hubbard signed with Argos after graduating from Upper Iowa University, where he totaled 152 receptions for 2,340 yards and 19 touchdowns in his college career.

Doesn't really mean anything yet, we'll see if they'll stick around.

Skinny G
05-10-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm just happy to see a new D lineman in camp... think we need a couple more... as I think 2 or 3 spots should be up for players to fight for!

Nob
05-10-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm curious about Carroll signing. He was a star coming out of Arkansas, and a 1st round NFL pick. If I am not mistaken he also signed with Calgary last year.

I wonder if they released him so he could "explore" other NFL opportunities and Jones snagged him again. I font remember him breaking into the Stamps lineup last year.

Again,these are the types of announcements that I expect we will see a few more of as camp approaches.

Nob
05-10-2012, 03:09 PM
I also just looked at the Argos release on their website. They say that Webb is only 19 years of age. How is that possible?

If true then I'm guessing that he too is a "futures" prospect.

ArgoRavi
05-10-2012, 03:44 PM
I also just looked at the Argos release on their website. They say that Webb is only 19 years of age. How is that possible?

If true then I'm guessing that he too is a "futures" prospect.

There has been the odd player like that before including Jermaine Haley back in the late 1990s. These are guys who haven't completed their college/university careers and have dropped out but are not yet eligible for the NFL draft. In Haley's case, he had to play a year with the Argos after being drafted by the Dolphins. The Argos had a running back named Da'Shawn Thomas three or four years ago who was in a similar situation and actually ended up playing at Western after the Argos released him.

Nob
05-10-2012, 04:41 PM
I remember Thomas. I was also in London during his UWO time. I recall that he had aspirations of the NFL.

To my recollection he did nothing in Argoland, except spend time on the practice roster which allowed him to pay at UWO. I wonder what he is doing now? He would still be young enough to have a playing career.

RoRoYoBoat
05-10-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm curious about Carroll signing. He was a star coming out of Arkansas, and a 1st round NFL pick. If I am not mistaken he also signed with Calgary last year.

I wonder if they released him so he could "explore" other NFL opportunities and Jones snagged him again. I font remember him breaking into the Stamps lineup last year.

Again,these are the types of announcements that I expect we will see a few more of as camp approaches.

Go on the gostampsgo.com forum and I'm sure the fans will have the low down.

KCargosfan
05-10-2012, 07:40 PM

Carroll has been arrested on gun charges, I thought that made it impossible for us to sign him? (Just a joke people, chill :) )

RoRoYoBoat
05-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Great we can put together a whole gang. Or maybe ones a Crips and Edawn was a blood ??? Argos want to make sure next time they get their shit burned down they can retaliate :)

1argoholic
05-11-2012, 12:34 AM
We draft all these so called futures guys and basically give little respect to Canadian University talent then we sign a bunch of guys we dug out from under rocks. Who's ever heard of Upper Iowa Peacocks? hahaha. Our top CIS guys couldn't play for The Upper Iowa Peacocks or The Bethany Bisons?
A 19 year old kid? Here's hoping for a cocky little bugger who doesn't know any better and plays lights out.
Back to signing felons. WOW!!

Midnight Blue
05-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Great we can put together a whole gang.

I like your humour.

Didn't we win a Grey Cup or two, not that many years ago, with a bit of a "re-hab" squad, up here?

Back to signing felons. WOW!!

Seems to be a bit of an Argo tradition. Why mess with success?

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Cheers !

AngeloV
05-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Seems to be a bit of an Argo tradition. Why mess with success?

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Cheers !

Midnight.. Where have you been? Welcome back!!

KCargosfan
05-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Great we can put together a whole gang. Or maybe ones a Crips and Edawn was a blood ??? Argos want to make sure next time they get their shit burned down they can retaliate :)

Haha, good one.

Argocister
05-12-2012, 12:09 AM
I find it odd that they would get a 19 yr old into camp from a div III college in from the states. First off, the development of the guys from 19 to 23/24 is a fair bit for most, in size and strength. Secondly, you mean to tell me there weren't better choices. ( and of course from me, not even Canadian) Generally I would have thought your import roster spots would have gone to those with more pro experience so that we don't have to train him.
On the plus side, he must have been impressive on his mini camp/try out ..... If that is where we picked him up.

1argoholic
05-12-2012, 01:03 AM
I think it's a game for Barker to dig guys up from under rocks. haha.

Midnight Blue
05-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Midnight.. Where have you been? Welcome back!!

Thanks, Angelo.

I've been busy, but still read the forum occasionally.

Cheers !

7dj83r8f78t4alf8