PDA

View Full Version : How Would Moving the CFL Season Earlier Affect the Argos?

jerrym
11-29-2017, 01:26 AM
CFL Commissioner Ambrosie has broached the idea of moving the start of the season earlier so that the Grey Cup is played in October.

There are a lot of moving parts to the argument both for and against moving up the CFL schedule — tradition, cold weather, snow, competition with the Stanley Cup playoffs, competition with the NFL, etc. — but there’s really only one factor that matters to the CFL office: money.
The CFL has been selling its American television rights to ESPN for a paltry sum for close to a decade now. Former commissioner Mark Cohon — the man who made the first ESPN broadcast agreement in the late 2000s — didn’t see the deal as an opportunity to make money, but as a chance to gain exposure south of the border. Now that the CFL is getting a fair amount of attention from an American audience, it may be time to capitalize by negotiating a more lucrative broadcasting agreement. ...

More and more Americans take an interest in the CFL every year for a number of reasons. For one, many big-name college stars who end up in the CFL bring with them legions of fans who want to follow their careers through the pros. Players like DeVier Posey, Trent Richardson, Darvin Adams, Tommie Campbell, and James Wilder Jr. all come from huge football schools with massive fan bases. Seeing former college stars enjoy professional success in Canada should only turn more American fans onto the Canadian game.
Secondly, the CFL is phenomenally entertaining — I’ve been following it and the NFL for almost twenty years and the 2017 season was as compelling a campaign as I’ve seen north or south of the border.

http://3downnation.com/2017/11/28/cfl-wants-move-schedule-4-grey-cup-thoughts/

IMO, this would run into the Argos overlapping with the Blue Jays at home and on TV for nearly all of the CFL regular season, and even more important with the NHL playoffs on TV virtually every day in the early season. Argos media exposure would suffer even more in this regard if the Leafs play far into the playoffs. This is likely to reduce the already low level of attention the Argos achieve in the Toronto media and TV viewership of Argo and other CFL games, thereby reducing revenue from a fall in attendance and eventually from a dropoff in Canadian TV ratings that would result in less money in a future Canadian TV contract. While an earlier start would earn more NFL money, I doubt this will be a bonanza, especially at the beginning, when the league has not proved yet whether it can grab a large American viewership with an early start. Neither NFL Europe viewership on American TV in the spring or CFL expansion into the U.S. caught on in a significant way.

ArgoRavi
11-29-2017, 01:56 AM
I honestly think that this idea will die a quick death, especially after the memorable snow Grey Cup on Sunday. I will say that an earlier start would do the Argos no favours as they would be competing with the Leafs and Raptors in May and June and the Blue Jays all the way to October with no month where they have a chance to be dominant as November can be now.

Mightygoose
11-29-2017, 06:40 AM
Though prefer the schedule as is, I don't see it making much of a difference here.

The Leafs and Raptors being in the playoffs are cyclical much like the Jays. We also have to compete with the NFL for eyeballs so there will be less of an overlap there.

The Argos and the CFL for more attention because it the playoff, less do to with the month it's played in.

paulwoods13
11-29-2017, 08:50 AM
I would love to see a database showing attendance by date for the past 20 years. I'd be willing to bet Argo home attendance is better after Labour Day than before. More home dates in summer would be a bad idea in this market, IMO.

doubleblue
11-29-2017, 09:56 AM
I think it will depend on how much money the NFLN is willing to give the CFL to show their games. If the owners can double their TV money they will be all ears IMO.

AngeloV
11-29-2017, 10:07 AM
I would love to see a database showing attendance by date for the past 20 years. I'd be willing to bet Argo home attendance is better after Labour Day than before. More home dates in summer would be a bad idea in this market, IMO.

100% agreed Paul. Imagine if both the Leafs and Raptors went deep into the playoffs in the same year, and the Argos had a home game at the same time. Me, You and maybe a couple thousand of us diehards would be the only ones in attendance at the Argos game.

Will
11-29-2017, 10:20 AM

The data is readily available.

paulwoods13
11-29-2017, 10:31 AM
The data is readily available.

Yes, but someone would need to compile it, and as we all know, reported attendance numbers likely did not reflect actual sales for many years.

Will
11-29-2017, 10:47 AM
Yes, but someone would need to compile it, and as we all know, reported attendance numbers likely did not reflect actual sales for many years.

I'll play around with it on Saturday or Sunday. The caveat is well known to Argo fans I suspect.

rdavies
11-29-2017, 11:18 AM
I would love to see a database showing attendance by date for the past 20 years. I'd be willing to bet Argo home attendance is better after Labour Day than before. More home dates in summer would be a bad idea in this market, IMO.You can start here (https://stats.cfldb.ca/team/toronto-argonauts/) if you're not already aware, unless you can get more targeted data from the Argos themselves. I suppose anyone else can use that link if they are curious.

paulwoods13
11-29-2017, 12:42 PM
Just for clarity, while I would like to see a database breaking down attendance by date, I don't want to build it myself. The data is certainly our there, but I'll leave it to others to pull it together (or not) from year-by-year charts.

rdavies
11-29-2017, 01:12 PM
I don't know how valid any conclusions for this would be, for a couple of reasons: 1 They are in a new facility and only have a few seasons of data 2 They came from a covered stadium where late season games were less problematic from a fan POV

Unless they get a bucket load of cash from the NFLN, I don't think changing the season is a good idea at all, for many reasons, posted here and elsewhere.

Also with climate change the way it is, where I'm at, the last few years, winter only seems to start in earnest at the end of January. That's when the cold really hits and the big snowstorms begin. But other places in the country may be or are likely different.

R.J
11-29-2017, 02:41 PM
I hope at the very least that the season and Grey Cup are left as it. It's already been moved up since Ottawa was added, and until a 10th team comes around, I think we're stuck, but I hope going back to 1 bye week comes into play. Fans are starting to show around the world that they want a compressed season and shorter time length in games, yet for some reason Leagues continue to go the opposite way - mind blowing.

AngeloV
11-29-2017, 03:01 PM
I hope at the very least that the season and Grey Cup are left as it. It's already been moved up since Ottawa was added, and until a 10th team comes around, I think we're stuck, but I hope going back to 1 bye week comes into play. Fans are starting to show around the world that they want a compressed season and shorter time length in games, yet for some reason Leagues continue to go the opposite way - mind blowing.

I would say that length of CFL games is down. Very rare to have a 3 hour game these days.

jerrym
11-30-2017, 01:10 AM

I have heard repeated comments that this is the case over the years on TV broadcasts, not only of Argo home games but that of other teams. If this is a league wide experience, I think there is little chance of the league moving the season forward, even for an enhanced TV contract, unless the money was enormous, and I don't see that happening. Furthermore, if such a contract happened and further reduced attendance around the league, the visuals of more empty seats would have American fans watching if they saw relatively few Canadians at the games.

Neely2005
11-30-2017, 09:30 AM
Less games in colder weather is a win for ticket sales for all CFL teams IMO. The Grey Cup usually sells out but teams are having a hard time selling tickets to playoff games in cold weather, especially since most teams don't include playoff tickets in their season ticket package.

AngeloV
11-30-2017, 11:58 AM
Less games in colder weather is a win for ticket sales for all CFL teams IMO. The Grey Cup usually sells out but teams are having a hard time selling tickets to playoff games in cold weather, especially since most teams don't include playoff tickets in their season ticket package.

Attendance at Argos playoff game kind of defeats that theory, especially when considering they had only about 4,000 season tickets.

Neely2005
11-30-2017, 12:23 PM
Attendance at Argos playoff game kind of defeats that theory, especially when considering they had only about 4,000 season tickets.

Come on you know very well that CFL teams are having a hard time selling playoff games. IIRC the only sell out playoff game this year was in Ottawa which is one of the smallest CFL stadiums.

https://globalnews.ca/news/1679244/should-the-cfl-season-start-earlier-to-avoid-cold/

paulwoods13
11-30-2017, 12:48 PM
But there is no "control group" to measure this against. Are playoff games hard to sell because the weather is cold, or because they aren't known about until a week or two before the game, or because the prices go up, or some other factors? We have no way of knowing if playoff games in October would be an easier sell.

Playing in November has never been considered a problem in the past, and the calls for an earlier schedule on fan boards have been pretty few and far between in the 20 years I've been monitoring them. I don't get why Ambrosie is pushing this as hard as he is -- I have to assume he expects a fairly large financial incentive to do it (i.e. a lot more TV money from U.S.) because otherwise it seems like a needless change. If the league does this and Leafs make a deep playoff run (which has decent chance of happening in the coming seasons), Argos will be damaged. And if Blue Jays make another deep October run (which seems much less likely), same thing.

Neely2005
11-30-2017, 12:52 PM
But there is no "control group" to measure this against. Are playoff games hard to sell because the weather is cold, or because they aren't known about until a week or two before the game, or because the prices go up, or some other factors? We have no way of knowing if playoff games in October would be an easier sell.

Playing in November has never been considered a problem in the past, and the calls for an earlier schedule on fan boards have been pretty few and far between in the 20 years I've been monitoring them. I don't get why Ambrosie is pushing this as hard as he is -- I have to assume he expects a fairly large financial incentive to do it (i.e. a lot more TV money from U.S.) because otherwise it seems like a needless change. If the league does this and Leafs make a deep playoff run (which has decent chance of happening in the coming seasons), Argos will be damaged. And if Blue Jays make another deep October run (which seems much less likely), same thing.

Western teams have been asking for the schedule to be moved up for years as per the article that I Linked above. Yes Ambrosie expects more US TV $ from starting the season earlier:

http://ottawasun.com/sports/football/cfl/grey-cup-in-october-tv-deal-with-nfl-cfl-commish-speaks

paulwoods13
11-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Western teams have been asking for the schedule to be moved up for years as per the article that I Linked above. Yes Ambrosie expects more US TV $ from starting the season earlier:

http://ottawasun.com/sports/football/cfl/grey-cup-in-october-tv-deal-with-nfl-cfl-commish-speaks

Unless I missed the link you are referring to, that seems to be a call from one western team three years ago.

If this is being done for TV money, it needs to be a LOT more money to offset the potential downsides, particularly in this market. In addition to the risk of going against Leafs (and Raptors) and Jays in playoffs, Toronto is a get-out-of-town city on summer weekends. Ambrosie's latest appearance on Jay and Dan implied that he's hearing about this from a lot of fans, which I find hard to believe.

Neely2005
11-30-2017, 01:12 PM
Unless I missed the link you are referring to, that seems to be a call from one western team three years ago.

If this is being done for TV money, it needs to be a LOT more money to offset the potential downsides, particularly in this market. In addition to the risk of going against Leafs (and Raptors) and Jays in playoffs, Toronto is a get-out-of-town city on summer weekends. Ambrosie's latest appearance on Jay and Dan implied that he's hearing about this from a lot of fans, which I find hard to believe.

You find it hard to believe that fans don't like sitting outside in the cold? Especially Western fans that regularly have to endure double digit negative Celsius temperatures? I certainly wouldn't want to pay to sit outside in -35C temperatures as that article references.

paulwoods13
11-30-2017, 01:15 PM
You find it hard to believe that fans don't like sitting outside in the cold? Especially Western fans that regularly have to endure double digit negative Celsius temperatures?

No, it's not hard to believe, although it's far from a universal sentiment. Somehow playing outdoors in November has worked for 105 Grey Cups. And as many have pointed out, it can also be very cold in October, and it can be mild and even warm in November.

Neely2005
11-30-2017, 01:24 PM
No, it's not hard to believe, although it's far from a universal sentiment. Somehow playing outdoors in November has worked for 105 Grey Cups. And as many have pointed out, it can also be very cold in October, and it can be mild and even warm in November.

It's not the Grey Cup that is the biggest concern as it usually sells out. It's the Semi-Finals and the Finals. Also the Grey Cup used to be played in December IIRC.

Yes but we all know that it will most likely be colder in November than in October.

R.J
11-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Sad when 0 to -3 has become too cold for Canadians.

AngeloV
11-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Come on you know very well that CFL teams are having a hard time selling playoff games. IIRC the only sell out playoff game this year was in Ottawa which is one of the smallest CFL stadiums.

https://globalnews.ca/news/1679244/should-the-cfl-season-start-earlier-to-avoid-cold/

Those same teams you speak of aren't selling out regular season games either. I truly believe it will have a negative effect on regular season attendance and TV ratings. IMO, it's better to sacrifice a couple of thousand playoff ticket sales for 4 games, than it is to sacrifice 8 or 9 weeks (30-35 games or so) of ticket sales.

R.J
11-30-2017, 01:42 PM
Those same teams you speak of aren't selling out regular season games either. I truly believe it will have a negative effect on regular season attendance and TV ratings. IMO, it's better to sacrifice a couple of thousand playoff ticket sales for 4 games, than it is to sacrifice 8 or 9 weeks (30-35 games or so) of ticket sales.
Len Rhodes has been the most vocal about this, complaining that the fall games are the reason for the Eskimos attendance issues, yet he never mention how the Summer games look empty as well. Empty seats in the fall is usually because teams have very little to play for until the playoffs start, Calgary and Winnipeg didn't sell out their playoff games because of where to markets are currently at right now and not because of weather IMO.

CFL "fans" always seem to look for excuses not to go to games.

Neely2005
11-30-2017, 01:48 PM
Sad when 0 to -3 has become too cold for Canadians.

More like -20 to -40 out west.

Neely2005
11-30-2017, 01:53 PM

Interesting, I think that it will have a positive impact on Attendance and TV Ratings. IMO the Grey Cup should always be played on the First Sunday of November.

Adding a 10th team could help too as the schedule could be balanced with less bye weeks.

R.J
11-30-2017, 01:54 PM
Which of the 9 CFL Cities was at that temperature at kick-off time on Sunday ?

Interesting, I think that it will have a positive impact on Attendance and TV Ratings. IMO the Grey Cup should always be played on the First Sunday of November.

Adding a 10th team could help too as the schedule could be balanced with less bye weeks.
TV ratings pick up in the Fall, because more people watch TV in the Fall than during Spring and Summer.

paulwoods13
11-30-2017, 01:58 PM

According to 30 years of data compiled by The Weather Network, the average high in Edmonton in November is -0.2, average low is -7.8 and average temp is -4. Yes, it can get as cold as minus-40, but it has never got below -30.7 in the past 30 years in Edmonton (which I think we can agree is the coldest city in the CFL).

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/forecasts/statistics/temperature/cl3012209/caab0103

The 1991 Grey Cup in Winnipeg is widely regarded as coldest of all time. It was about minus-17, with wind chill making it feel like about minus-30. I don't know if there has ever been a CFL game played in minus-40.

Neely2005
11-30-2017, 01:59 PM
Which of the 9 CFL Cities was at that temperature at kick-off time on Sunday ?

TV ratings pick up in the Fall, because more people watch TV in the Fall than during Spring and Summer.

It's almost like people prefer to be inside during the fall. I wonder why that is?

paulwoods13
11-30-2017, 02:02 PM
IMO the Grey Cup should always be played on the First Sunday of November.

And yet Ambrosie is talking about third weekend of October -- that's FIVE weeks earlier than now, which means (with the third bye week) the schedule would start around May 12. Heck, when I lived in Edmonton, people didn't even plant flowers until May 24 weekend because of the threat of frost.

Neely2005
11-30-2017, 02:07 PM
And yet Ambrosie is talking about third weekend of October -- that's FIVE weeks earlier than now, which means (with the third bye week) the schedule would start around May 12. Heck, when I lived in Edmonton, people didn't even plant flowers until May 24 weekend because of the threat of frost.

I think that's too early but I also think that's just a negotiating tactic to ask for more than what he really wants/expects.

R.J
11-30-2017, 02:12 PM
It's almost like people prefer to be inside during the fall. I wonder why that is?
And yet you stated that you think moving the season would have a positive impact on attendance AND TV RATINGS ?

paulwoods13
11-30-2017, 02:28 PM
I think that's too early but I also think that's just a negotiating tactic to ask for more than what he really wants/expects.

Who's he negotiating with, exactly?

Neely2005
11-30-2017, 03:42 PM
And yet you stated that you think moving the season would have a positive impact on attendance AND TV RATINGS ?

So you agree that it will improve attendance then?

Neely2005
11-30-2017, 03:45 PM
Who's he negotiating with, exactly?

The owners. Plus he's trying to sell it to the fans so if he comes back later and says we decided to 'only' move it up 3 weeks it comes off better.

AngeloV
11-30-2017, 03:57 PM

Actually, more likely due to people coming back from Summer vacations. Another reason that attendance in the CFL is traditionally higher in the fall. I get that you and your family don't like sitting in cold weather to watch a game, but I truly believe you are in the minority here. It doesn't matter to me, I'll be there regardless of when the games are, but IMO, it is suicide to put the first 4-6 weeks of the season up against NHL playoffs. And for those cities that don't have NHL teams, Memorial Cup playoffs could also hurt ticket sales at that time of year.

Hopefully TSN will have a say in this. I highly doubt they want a top property of theirs going against the NHL and NBA playoffs.

Mightygoose
11-30-2017, 04:30 PM
The question I've always had with attendance with the CFL, is attendance traditionally higher in the fall because more people consider it 'football season' or is it because the games are more meaningful as teams are trying to lock up a place/division or just positioning? In baseball, unless a team is in it, attendance declines after labour day.

Even in the NHL, teams that don't draw well, attendance picks up later in the season unless a team is buried.

With the Argos two years at BMO, as bad as attendance has been. This season, it picked up later as the Argos were competitive to the point that our average was higher then the season opener vs. the Ti-Cats. A game many thought would be a our highest. The year prior while the Argos we're spinning out of contention, attendance didn't pick up in the fall. Any game not vs. Hamilton was under our season average in 2016.

Hence, I don't think it will make a difference here.

Ron
11-30-2017, 05:11 PM
Fall attendance is also helped by summer being over. People like to rag on the whole "Cottage" excuse ... but it's a real thing. There's a reason you never hear the NFL talk silly things about starting 3 months earlier.

Mightygoose
11-30-2017, 05:49 PM
Strange, the Jays are not effected by people at a cottage weekend games in the summer. They still draw better than mid-week.

It's not like the entire GTA empties out on weekends.

paulwoods13
11-30-2017, 06:17 PM
The owners. Plus he's trying to sell it to the fans so if he comes back later and says we decided to 'only' move it up 3 weeks it comes off better.

So this idea did not come from ownership but is just Ambrosie's idea? If so, good luck to him getting it approved without an eight-figure annual payoff.

jerrym
11-30-2017, 10:21 PM
If we wait, global warming will solve the temperature problem in November. :D

argos1873
11-30-2017, 11:41 PM
If we wait, global warming will solve the temperature problem in November. :D

Of course if that's true, we'll be playing in desert like conditions in June. Geez the CFL just can't catch a break!

Tau Ceti
11-30-2017, 11:49 PM
Where does logic lead on this? I'm not advocating the following, simply observing what's inside Pandora's box...

The CFL season begins at the end of March and ends the weekend before Labour Day. De facto it becomes the North American Spring-Summer B League to the NFL. The two leagues better formalize player transfer at seasons' beginning and end. (Perhaps CFL player rights' become tradeable between NFL teams.) The CFL gets not an eight figure but a nine figure television contract because now the American couch potato can literally watch pro ball the entire calendar year. The Grey Cup sees viewership figures in the low tens of millions across North America every August. The CFL's survival is assured, but it fundamentally becomes an adjunct of the NFL. Slowly pressure mounts to eliminate rule differences between the leagues...

Again, I don't want this. But if we're already talking about a five week change you can be damned sure these ideas have been discussed privately.

argos1873
12-01-2017, 12:26 AM
Where does logic lead on this? I'm not advocating the following, simply observing what's inside Pandora's box...

The CFL season begins at the end of March and ends the weekend before Labour Day. De facto it becomes the North American Spring-Summer B League to the NFL. The two leagues better formalize player transfer at seasons' beginning and end. (Perhaps CFL player rights' become tradeable between NFL teams.) The CFL gets not an eight figure but a nine figure television contract because now the American couch potato can literally watch pro ball the entire calendar year. The Grey Cup sees viewership figures in the low tens of millions across North America every August. The CFL's survival is assured, but it fundamentally becomes an adjunct of the NFL. Slowly pressure mounts to eliminate rule differences between the leagues...

Again, I don't want this. But if we're already talking about a five week change you can be damned sure these ideas have been discussed privately.

The CFL season will never begin in March. Even if so, the American couch potato will never latch on. They never latched on to WAFL, NFL Europe, Europa League or whatever they called that stuff. There's no US money in it, and there never will be. Its time to realize that. Sure, get whatever US money you can, but don't focus on that, because its not happening. BTW the day the CFL becomes a de facto NFL minor league, and they start changing rules to match is the day I never tune into another CFL game again. In my humble opinion, the less NFL like the better.

AngeloV
12-01-2017, 09:55 AM
The CFL season will never begin in March. Even if so, the American couch potato will never latch on. They never latched on to WAFL, NFL Europe, Europa League or whatever they called that stuff. There's no US money in it, and there never will be. Its time to realize that. Sure, get whatever US money you can, but don't focus on that, because its not happening. BTW the day the CFL becomes a de facto NFL minor league, and they start changing rules to match is the day I never tune into another CFL game again. In my humble opinion, the less NFL like the better.

100%

Bruro
12-02-2017, 02:17 PM
Actually, contrary to popular opinion, you will find CFL attendance as a whole actually declines in October and November (specifically in the west). Look at CFL database attendance figures. Without question its because of the colder weather. With the exception of the GC playoff games in the CFL seem to have a problem with attendance - the west final this year (battle of alberta) was 6k shy of a sellout yet the regular season tilt between these two teams drew more at McMahon in August. Last regular season game in Calgary was played under snow and, while paid atrendance was 25k or so, the stadium was more than half empty. I dont agree with moving the season back as more as the new CFL commish suggests but think somewhere in the middle would do the league good. Have the regular start mid June and have the grey cup in the first or second week of november the latest.

R.J
12-02-2017, 03:08 PM
Actually, contrary to popular opinion, you will find CFL attendance as a whole actually declines in October and November (specifically in the west). Look at CFL database attendance figures. Without question its because of the colder weather. With the exception of the GC playoff games in the CFL seem to have a problem with attendance - the west final this year (battle of alberta) was 6k shy of a sellout yet the regular season tilt between these two teams drew more at McMahon in August. Last regular season game in Calgary was played under snow and, while paid atrendance was 25k or so, the stadium was more than half empty. I dont agree with moving the season back as more as the new CFL commish suggests but think somewhere in the middle would do the league good. Have the regular start mid June and have the grey cup in the first or second week of november the latest.
McMahon has been half empty all season, so probably not the greatest example.

paulwoods13
12-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Have the regular start mid June and have the grey cup in the first or second week of november the latest.

The ostensible reason to move the schedule up is to make more summer programming available for NFL Network, presumably with significant revenues attached. Moving the season up two weeks would hardly achieve that goal. Ambrosie was talking about playing Grey Cup in the third weekend of November which, combined with the extra bye week, would mean moving it up six weeks.

argolio
12-02-2017, 03:49 PM
I presume you meant third week of October?

Shatto
12-02-2017, 05:27 PM
Ambrosie has talked about the need to increase the league's revenues. There are primarily 3 ways to accomplish that--1) increase attendance at games, 2) more and richer sponsorships and 3) increase TV revenues. The easiest quick fix should be number 3, but since the league is locked in to TSN for a few more years, this is not as easy as it should be.

If the schedule was moved up 2 weeks and one bye week was eliminated, the GC could be played in the first week of November. This would allow the vast amount of the schedule to be available to the NFL before the NFL begins its regular schedule. The question is whether it is worth it or not. For a couple of million, not likely but for 20 million plus, it starts to become a more attractive proposition for the league. For 40 million or more it becomes a no brainer for the league.

Personally, I'd prefer to see the schedule stay as it is. Even at my age I still enjoy going to games in the cold weather. However, it could all depend on how serious the NFL is in purchasing US rights to our games and how much they are willing to pay. We will see.

rdavies
12-02-2017, 05:33 PM
BTW the day the CFL becomes a de facto NFL minor league, and they start changing rules to match is the day I never tune into another CFL game again. In my humble opinion, the less NFL like the better.Yup

jerrym
12-02-2017, 08:39 PM

Amen.

paulwoods13
12-02-2017, 08:41 PM
I presume you meant third week of October?

Oops, yes.

rdavies
12-02-2017, 08:48 PM
How much money should the league take to move the season? There is a lot more to this than meets the eye in regards to the fallout from moving the season over accepting more revenue.

rdavies
12-02-2017, 11:37 PM
Why it might not make sense for the CFL to dump ESPN for a return to NFL Network (http://awfulannouncing.com/league-networks/cfl-espn-nfl-network.html)
A return to NFLN wouldn't necessarily be all positive for the CFL.
Andrew Bucholtz awfulannouncing.com 11/28/2017

New CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie made international headlines Friday for comments to Tim Baines of The Ottawa Sun that the league could sign a deal with NFL Network following its “soon-to-expire” deal with ESPN (which is curious in its own right, as when that deal was signed in 2014, it was expected to run through 2018), and that it might move its season several weeks earlier to make that deal happen. Moving the season is one thing, and it has pros and cons (pros include that it would definitely help a U.S. TV deal regardless of who the deal’s with, and that there would likely be better weather and better attendance for late-season games and the playoffs, cons include that an earlier season would go head-to-head with the NHL playoffs and would require a shifting of the CFL offseason calendar and possibly the draft, and that the playoffs and the Grey Cup would then overlap with the MLB postseason and World Series), but proclaiming that the league could head back to NFL Network instead of ESPN for its U.S. TV deal is perhaps an even more notable comment, and not necessarily a good one.

It’s not clear when this would happen; the initial deal was said to be for five years, and Ambrosie’s comments about changing the schedule in 2019 would fit with that, but the “soon-to-expire” language suggests this may be a discussion about 2018. But the CFL has seen games aired on NFL Network before, in 2010 and 2011, but only one game was aired a week that first year. Two a week were aired in the early part of the 2011 season, but the coverage was more limited once the NFL season began. In 2012, the CFL sent games to streaming service ESPN3 and also signed a 14-game deal with NBCSN, and the ESPN/NBCSN split continued in 2013. In 2014, ESPN struck an exclusive five-year deal with the CFL to show all its games across linear and digital (ESPN3) platforms, and that’s had plenty of benefits for the league; CFL fans in the U.S. have been able to access every game through at least ESPN3 (which is available through a variety of streaming apps, but does require a cable subscription), with plenty of games shown on ESPN’s linear platforms as well. And there are benefits to the consistency there; back in the days of the ESPN/NBCSN split, fans had to regularly consult broadcasting schedules to figure out which streaming service to access games on, as the NBCSN games weren’t on ESPN3. Going back to NFL Network entirely or a NFLN/ESPN split could make that more difficult; NFL Network does have its own streaming options, but they tend not to be as solid as the BAMTech-powered ESPN3.

The big problem with a NFL Network partnership is NFLN’s limited space. They have one channel to air content on, and while that will be fine for CFL games in the summer when there’s next to nothing happening on the NFL front, it’s hard to see them ditching NFL analysis for CFL games during the season. By contrast, ESPN has four primary channels that have been used for CFL games, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews and ESPNU, and they throw CFL games on some of those lower ones in particular even during the fall. (Especially on Sundays, when they don’t have college football and don’t want to put their own programming up against the NFL.) And ESPN has zero limitations in terms of what they can put on ESPN3, especially when it comes to outside-produced content like the CFL (CFL feeds come from Canada’s TSN, which is 20 per cent owned by ESPN, so ESPN isn’t directly paying production costs.) And they might be even more interested in CFL rights now that they’re planning to launch an OTT subscription service with some of the content not on traditional ESPN networks.

The NFL doesn’t appear to have any sort of equivalent option to at least stream every CFL game, unless that gets rolled into a product like GamePass (which people are already complaining about in non-U.S. markets). It’s possible there could be a NFLN/ESPN3 split, but that provides less incentive for both networks to really promote the product if they have to share it, and it brings up the aforementioned confusion about where particular games are. And NFLN certainly doesn’t have more reach than ESPN or ESPN2; as per Nielsen’s August cable coverage estimates, ESPN and ESPN2 were both in over 87,000 homes, with ESPNU in 66,000, NFLN in 69,000 and ESPNews not rated. So NFLN is slightly better than ESPNU and better than ESPNews, but a drop in exposure from ESPN and ESPN2. Oh, and even if the season was moved up several weeks, it seems pretty unlikely that the CFL playoffs and the Grey Cup are going to get any sort of play on NFLN in October. But they get consistent slots on ESPN’s lesser channels and do okay there.

Of course, it’s not all about the viewers. ESPN is believed to not be paying all that much for the CFL rights, and NFLN might offer more. Other U.S. companies could conceivably get involved too, perhaps even digitally-focused ones like Facebook, Amazon and Stadium that seem to be paying to stream just about anything. And the CFL has shown growing synergy with the NFL on several fronts, from cross-border officiating training and replay discussions to joint minor football initiatives in Canada, and there could be value for both leagues in aligning further. And at the very least, it seems positive for the CFL that there are different U.S. broadcasters who might be interested in carrying its games. And that’s likely even more the case if the CFL season is moved earlier in the year, and thus overlaps with the NFL and college football less. But the league should realize that its current U.S. broadcast situation is pretty good, all things considered. And it shouldn’t jump to abandon ESPN for NFLN unless the benefits outweigh the costs.

Tobythor
12-03-2017, 02:04 PM
I think starting the week after Victoria Day (unofficial start to summer) would be a good idea, go with the whole kickoff to Summer idea. Get people out to games before the summer holidays get started. Maybe the league could have some sort of reserve fund (from t.v deal money) which could be given out to a team if they have a drop in attendance due to a Stanley Cup run in their city.

AngeloV
12-03-2017, 04:23 PM
I think starting the week after Victoria Day (unofficial start to summer) would be a good idea, go with the whole kickoff to Summer idea. Get people out to games before the summer holidays get started. Maybe the league could have some sort of reserve fund (from t.v deal money) which could be given out to a team if they have a drop in attendance due to a Stanley Cup run in their city.

If the NHL playoffs ended in May like they used to, I would be OK with a June 1 start, but as I've said, it could be suicidal going up against NHL playoffs and Memorial cup at the start of the season. For starters, the league would get next to no National media coverage until after the Stanley Cup has been presented. You think the Argos are a forgotten commodity now, just think how that would affect them in this scenario.

This whole thing about colder weather keeping away fans to me is bs. Should be noted the biggest crowd to ever see the Argos play at BMO was also the coldest day in which they have played a game there. It was also pretty cold for the TFC game last week. I didn't see their fans stay away and complain that the season ends too late.

rdavies
12-03-2017, 04:42 PM
This whole thing about colder weather keeping away fans to me is bs. Should be noted the biggest crowd to ever see the Argos play at BMO was also the coldest day in which they have played a game there. It was also pretty cold for the TFC game last week. I didn't see their fans stay away and complain that the season ends too late.That might pertain more to the Western fans. I wonder (don't know) if the playoff ticket pricing may be a little out of whack. I always seem to notice the Bomber attendance going down (could be wrong), when for a big game it should be going up.

AngeloV
12-03-2017, 05:58 PM
That might pertain more to the Western fans. I wonder (don't know) if the playoff ticket pricing may be a little out of whack. I always seem to notice the Bomber attendance going down (could be wrong), when for a big game it should be going up.

Another reason to buy Argos season tickets. A playoff ticket is included in the package.

Mightygoose
12-04-2017, 03:07 PM
I posted this on the main CFL boards too.

I had a conversation with someone at my church who went to his first Argos game with his son at the home finale and followed up by going to the Eastern final. Had a great time and his kids (ages 9 and 7) and are now bugging him to get seasons next year....he may do a 2-3 games instead due to time restraints but overall some new fans for the Argos were created.

I will say they're right in the demographics the Argos and the league in general are trying to get in the doors. In other words not old and white!
We brought up the schedule and told him the league was considering moving it up for the playoffs/Grey Cup in October. His thoughts?.....it's a no brainer to make this move.

Though a sample size much like this site, curious view from one outside of the core.

Neely2005
12-05-2017, 07:19 AM

So I wonder where did the myth of attendance increasing after Labour Day come from? Perhaps it's a Toronto only thing from when we played indoors at the Rogers Centre?

rdavies
12-05-2017, 11:42 AM
I'm one who doesn't want to see the schedule moved but the more I look at the empirical evidence the more I think maybe it should be moved. The problem is similar to some of the issues the league has with TSN. Although you might be achieving short term gain, in the long term will it be good for the league. To move the season almost into a spring/summer league like the USFL better take a boatload of long term cash right now.

Hindsight being 20/20, the NHL took more cash (double) in an ill advised deal with SportsChannel America instead of staying with ESPN and getting more exposure. They've never recovered from that.

paulwoods13
12-05-2017, 12:32 PM
I don't know what evidence people are looking at to show support for attendance decreasing in the fall. The year-by-year charts at https://stats.cfldb.ca/ seems to show ups and downs throughout each season, with ups as likely to come at the end as anywhere else in the schedule. There are nifty graphics showing week-by-week attendance each season as a line graph, and in looking at the past 10 years I see no evidence that attendance declines consistently in October/November.

Topshelf
12-05-2017, 11:32 PM
I've always subscribed to the notion that toronto hits the cottage on summer weekends, even though none of my friends have cottages.

But, having froze in that eastern final, I'm thinking why not play in the summer?

Have the grey cup thanksgiving sunday, make it a uniquely canadian tradition like nfl thanksgiving thursday.

If there's some nfl network tv money, even better.

Shatto
12-07-2017, 12:36 AM
Football is a game that can be played in all weathers. Most CFL fans are well versed in how to dress for cold and snowy weather. Most fans I know, would rather watch a game in snowy, -5C weather than in warmer but rainy weather, especially if it is a heavy downpour. It is also part of the CFL history and tradition, that some of the most memorable games have been played in cold snowy conditions. Talking to fans, who watched this year's GC, not one person complained about the cold --after all we are Canadians!

There are some sports which can't be played in cold/snowy conditions --obviously baseball is a good example. With the upcoming MLS championship game, possibly being played in sub zero temperatures and perhaps even heavy snow, one has to ask what is their league thinking, having a schedule that allows the game to be played in these conditions. If one appreciates soccer and the skill set required of top players, playing in very cold and heavy snow conditions is a definite detriment. For the sake of the game, perhaps MLS should either move to a summer/fall schedule or have the championship game played, where there is a better guarantee of good weather.

Sorry, got off topic---hopefully the CFL schedule will continue to retain the GC on the traditional late November date. If the money enticement is so large that the league can't refuse to turn it down, then I guess we may see the GC scheduled as early as October. But IMO it would be a pity, if that does come to pass.

Argobouncer
12-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Football is a game that can be played in all weathers. Most CFL fans are well versed in how to dress for cold and snowy weather. Most fans I know, would rather watch a game in snowy, -5C weather than in warmer but rainy weather, especially if it is a heavy downpour. It is also part of the CFL history and tradition, that some of the most memorable games have been played in cold snowy conditions. Talking to fans, who watched this year's GC, not one person complained about the cold --after all we are Canadians!

There are some sports which can't be played in cold/snowy conditions --obviously baseball is a good example. With the upcoming MLS championship game, possibly being played in sub zero temperatures and perhaps even heavy snow, one has to ask what is their league thinking, having a schedule that allows the game to be played in these conditions. If one appreciates soccer and the skill set required of top players, playing in very cold and heavy snow conditions is a definite detriment. For the sake of the game, perhaps MLS should either move to a summer/fall schedule or have the championship game played, where there is a better guarantee of good weather.

Sorry, got off topic---hopefully the CFL schedule will continue to retain the GC on the traditional late November date. If the money enticement is so large that the league can't refuse to turn it down, then I guess we may see the GC scheduled as early as October. But IMO it would be a pity, if that does come to pass.

MLS schedule started March 3 & ends Dec. 9 this year. The schedule is so long they are already taking advantage of the best weather Toronto can offer. Really they take 3 winter months off then start again - ridiculously long schedule & not really appropriate outdoors even in Toronto. Montreal & Vancouver use their domes when needed & I guess Toronto FC can & has too at Rogers Centre - but hasn't for playoff games. Will be wintry this year.

I think ideally the CFL should move the season up 2 weeks to take advantage of better weather esp. on the prairies. The Grey Cup has been played mid Nov before - most recently 2003 on Nov. 16

AngeloV
12-07-2017, 11:45 AM
I think ideally the CFL should move the season up 2 weeks to take advantage of better weather esp. on the prairies. The Grey Cup has been played mid Nov before - most recently 2003 on Nov. 16

And this I have no problem with. I've stated that the league should make the final weekend of October the end of the regular season and market the first 3 weekends in November as Grey Cup month. Under this scenario, the Grey cup would be played anywhere from Nov 15-23. This would avoid the start of the season going against Stanley Cup playoffs, and the Grey Cup playoffs going against the world series. The CFL can't afford to have little to no media coverage over these time periods.

Will
12-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Just to be clear--my spreadsheet is in relation to the Argos only. I don't have any intention of doing an analysis for all league teams.

argos1873
12-07-2017, 02:11 PM
And this I have no problem with. I've stated that the league should make the final weekend of October the end of the regular season and market the first 3 weekends in November as Grey Cup month. Under this scenario, the Grey cup would be played anywhere from Nov 15-23. This would avoid the start of the season going against Stanley Cup playoffs, and the Grey Cup playoffs going against the world series. The CFL can't afford to have little to no media coverage over these time periods.

I also wouldn't have a problem with 1-3 weeks of moving up the schedule. 2 weeks would probably be the optimum of that situation. You avoid the end of the Stanley Cup playoffs that would conflict with 3 weeks, and have a slightly better chance at better weather than at 1 week. But maybe I'm in the minority, but I love these fairly rare snowbowl games. I think they make the game more interesting. The bitter cold on the other hand, that's probably not good for anyone or anything.

Bleeds Double Blue
12-10-2017, 01:39 PM
It is December 10 and I am watching Buffalo and Indy playing in conditions that make the Grey Cup look like it was played in the Bahamas. Maybe the NFL should consider moving their schedule up as well? For me I say leave the schedule alone. Weather is and always has been part of the game. Hike up your skirts ladies and play on.

Ron
12-10-2017, 05:22 PM
For me I say leave the schedule alone. Weather is and always has been part of the game. Hike up your skirts ladies and play on.

The heck with the NFL. Do we need Soccer fans calling out CFL fans for being pussies? lol They play in the cold and damp of spring to a fortnight before Christmas

R.J
12-11-2017, 10:30 AM
A retractable roofed stadium was being talked about previously for a proposed new Bills Stadium.

Neely2005
01-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Sounds like the idea is gaining traction:

http://ottawasun.com/sports/football/cfl/ottawa-redblacks/cfl-taking-hard-look-at-moving-season-up-a-month

Neely2005
01-11-2018, 11:30 AM
It's looking good:

http://edmontonsun.com/sports/football/cfl/jones-no-imminent-barriers-to-idea-of-moving-up-cfl-schedule

AngeloV
01-11-2018, 11:35 AM
It's looking good:

http://edmontonsun.com/sports/football/cfl/jones-no-imminent-barriers-to-idea-of-moving-up-cfl-schedule

If they do it, they'll do it for a year, realize the reduced press at the start of the season and in the playoffs hurts the league more than playing cold weather playoff games do, and admit it was a bad decision. Similar to when the tried playing playoff games on Saturday that 1 year.

paulwoods13
01-11-2018, 12:11 PM
It's looking good:

I don't know, I'm reading at best lukewarm support from TSN for the idea. I can't see the league overriding its wishes on this. Maybe a week or two, likely not the five weeks Ambrosie was talking about earlier.

Argobouncer
01-11-2018, 12:56 PM
It's looking good:

Notice TSN's VP says he & the network are ok with moving the season up a 'couple of weeks' earlier. not 4-5 weeks. The CFL even did this before with a 9 team league in 2003 when the Grey Cup was held on Nov. 16. I think after negotiating & all is said & done & looked at, the league will land on 2-3 weeks earlier - which is about right imo.

R.J
01-11-2018, 01:35 PM
If they do it, they'll do it for a year, realize the reduced press at the start of the season and in the playoffs hurts the league more than playing cold weather playoff games do, and admit it was a bad decision. Similar to when the tried playing playoff games on Saturday that 1 year.
Moving it up a week or two (which they've done now anyways) and going back to one bye week, I'd have no issue with, but I dislike the notion of moving it up 4-5 weeks as if it'll sell considerably more tickets. The League needs to take a look at attendance during the summer months, I'm pretty sure the nice weather hasn't helped Edmonton, Calgary, BC, Winnipeg, etc sell more tickets. The Riders didn't sell out their final regular season game due to it being a meaningless game, I'm sure weather had an affect, but nowhere near what some make it out to be. IMO the biggest issue facing the League is that indifference and apathy from the fanbase seems to be rearing it ugly head again, moving the season up or down won't help that - The League needs to re-engage the fanbase, and find ways to get the naysayers on board, the apathetic and new fans/Canadians.

I'm also not a fan of how the CFL (and NHL) for that matter are extending the season with adding bye weeks, and using the player safety excuse. It's pretty clear that it's being done to lengthen the season to ensure that they're kept in the sports conversation longer. Personally I don't need the CFL to be on from May to November, nor do I need the NHL to be on from September to late late, it's just ridiculous, and IMO saturate the viewing experience, which IMO is why the NFL ratings are declining so much. Previously the NFL only played on Sundays, then added MNF, then years later added TNF - Interesting that after adding Thursday Night Football, the NFL's ratings on started to decline at an alarming rate within 3 years.

Neely2005
01-11-2018, 01:52 PM

The additional US television money and better attendance at the end of the season will more than make it worth their while going forward.

Neely2005
01-11-2018, 01:54 PM
Notice TSN's VP says he & the network are ok with moving the season up a 'couple of weeks' earlier. not 4-5 weeks. The CFL even did this before with a 9 team league in 2003 when the Grey Cup was held on Nov. 16. I think after negotiating & all is said & done & looked at, the league will land on 2-3 weeks earlier - which is about right imo.

Having the Grey Cup the first Sunday in November every year would be perfect.

paulwoods13
01-11-2018, 04:19 PM
The additional US television money and better attendance at the end of the season will more than make it worth their while going forward.

I have yet to see evidence that either will materialize. I really, really doubt that NFL Network or ESPN are just dying to have more Cdn football in the summer to the tune of millions of dollars. And I'll repeat what I've written before -- IMO attendance would be adversely affected in Toronto and other eastern markets, where cottages and weekend getaways are a big part of summer culture. I think any gain from earlier playoff games on the Prairies would be offset by losses out here.

AngeloV
01-11-2018, 04:19 PM

Again, the 3 weeks they would be head to head during the Stanley Cup playoffs, IMO would cost them more in ticket sales, than the 2 weeks in November. I've already done a comparison to playoff attendance vs regular season attendance this year. Only Winnipeg was below their average, and it was only by 300 tickets. Calgary was higher. Ottawa was their usual sell out. And Toronto was almost 60% higher than their average. Had Winnipeg hosted the Western final, they too likely would have been higher.

The notion that fans stay away in cold weather is without basis. Those that do, are absolutely in the minority.

Neely2005
01-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Again, the 3 weeks they would be head to head during the Stanley Cup playoffs, IMO would cost them more in ticket sales, than the 2 weeks in November. I've already done a comparison to playoff attendance vs regular season attendance this year. Only Winnipeg was below their average, and it was only by 300 tickets. Calgary was higher. Ottawa was their usual sell out. And Toronto was almost 60% higher than their average. Had Winnipeg hosted the Western final, they too likely would have been higher.

The notion that fans stay away in cold weather is without basis. Those that do, are absolutely in the minority.

Canadian teams aren't known for having long playoff runs lately.

Len Rhodes disagrees with your assessment.

Neely2005
01-11-2018, 05:23 PM
Winnipeg is in too:

http://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/bombers-gm-walters-a-proponent-of-moving-up-cfl-season

KCargosfan
01-11-2018, 05:54 PM
From an outsider's perspective, it would be interesting to see regular season games start the second week in June and the Grey Cup be the second or first weekend in November (and have no second bye week). But this is coming from someone who doesn't like hockey.

My thought is the less the season goes up against the NFL the better. But maybe that is not as big a deal as I am thinking?

Also, what is the interest in Canada in the Stanley Cup finals when no Canadian teams are involved?
If Carolina and San Jose are playing, would that still draw away from the CFL opening weeks?

If all the Canadian teams are eliminated after the second round, would the CFL be better starting up with its first game around June 10th?

R.J
01-11-2018, 06:54 PM
I'm interested to see how much stronger ratings and attendance numbers are in June, July, and August compared to September, October, and November (minus playoffs and the Grey Cup). Ratings go up in September and I've yet to see an increase of empty seats during the Fall.

Len Rhodes is probably the worst example to make your point Neely. The Eskimos used to average over 38,000 just before he got there, and now they barely manage 30k. Also, IIRC he took over $100k from the football budget one year to bring in half time shows.

AngeloV
01-11-2018, 07:46 PM
Canadian teams aren't known for having long playoff runs lately.

Len Rhodes disagrees with your assessment.

I really don't think it matters. Canadian sports networks are all over the playoffs regardless of who is participating. The lack of exposure alone will result in less butts in the seats at that time. The league needs all the top sports billing it can get. They get it from mid June until October, and throughout the month of November.

AngeloV
01-11-2018, 07:47 PM
I'm interested to see how much stronger ratings and attendance numbers are in June, July, and August compared to September, October, and November (minus playoffs and the Grey Cup). Ratings go up in September and I've yet to see an increase of empty seats during the Fall.

Len Rhodes is probably the worst example to make your point Neely. The Eskimos used to average over 38,000 just before he got there, and now they barely manage 30k. Also, IIRC he took over $100k from the football budget one year to bring in half time shows.

I'm with you on this 100%. IMO, it would be a colossal failure to move it up 4-6 weeks.

paulwoods13
01-11-2018, 07:51 PM
With TSN lukewarm at best (based on the comments in the story), I find it hard to believe the league would make a change of more than a week or two without having to compensate the primary rights-holder. So there goes some of the extra money this is in theory going to bring in. I have to believe MLSE is telling Ambrosie it's a bad idea for the Argos and for Bell, and he better be listening. If the western clubs get their way over eastern objections, his honeymoon period could end abruptly.

ArgoRavi
01-11-2018, 07:58 PM
From an outsider's perspective, it would be interesting to see regular season games start the second week in June and the Grey Cup be the second or first weekend in November (and have no second bye week). But this is coming from someone who doesn't like hockey.

My thought is the less the season goes up against the NFL the better. But maybe that is not as big a deal as I am thinking?

Also, what is the interest in Canada in the Stanley Cup finals when no Canadian teams are involved?
If Carolina and San Jose are playing, would that still draw away from the CFL opening weeks?

If all the Canadian teams are eliminated after the second round, would the CFL be better starting up with its first game around June 10th?

I don't see the NFL being a huge factor here. The CFL's playoffs outdraws the NFL every year. I saw the NFL's TV ratings for 2017 in a Toronto Sun article yesterday and, while they draw a bit higher average TV audiences than the CFL, that is mostly because the NFL is available "over the air" in Canada and not exclusively on cable as is the CFL. In fact, I believe the Sunday night NFL audiences rose considerably in Canada in 2017 but only because the games appeared on BOTH TSN and CTV Two simultaneously. Anyway, that is a whole other conversation.

The key competition for the CFL in Canada is the NHL and, to a lesser degree, MLB and NBA. Starting the season in May does not do the CFL any favours when they are going head-to-head with the Stanley Cup Playoffs and maybe the Raptors, depending on how well they are doing.

The season should only be moved up two weeks at the most and that is what TSN only seems comfortable with so that the Grey Cup is still in mid-November when the CFL is able to get much more of the spotlight to themselves.

Neely2005
01-12-2018, 01:04 PM

Canadian NHL ratings drop massively when there's no Canadian team involved.

jerrym
01-12-2018, 08:03 PM
Canadian NHL ratings drop massively when there's no Canadian team involved.

At this point in the season, there are only three Canadian teams in contention for the playoffs, as Edmonton, Vancouver Montreal and Ottawa are all well behind in the standings. Furthermore, Calgary is on the borderline between being in or out of the playoffs. However, for the Argos, the Leafs have a six point plus margin for the last playoff spot. So barring another Leaf swoon song, the Argos could well have to contend with the Leafs soaking up media attention in the buildup to the start of the CFL season.

AngeloV
01-12-2018, 08:57 PM
At this point in the season, there are only three Canadian teams in contention for the playoffs, as Edmonton, Vancouver Montreal and Ottawa are all well behind in the standings. Furthermore, Calgary is on the borderline between being in or out of the playoffs. However, for the Argos, the Leafs have a six point plus margin for the last playoff spot. So barring another Leaf swoon song, the Argos could well have to contend with the Leafs soaking up media attention in the buildup to the start of the CFL season.

Exactly. It's not even entirely about ratings. The league needs all the media attention it can get at key points in the year. TSN and every other media platform are all over the Stanley Cup playoffs, whether there are Canadian teams still in contention or not. Rogers as the rights holders for NHL are even deeper in. The way the season is now, the league has full media attention at the start of the season, and throughout their playoffs, which start after the World Series. Why on earth would they want to give that up?

KCargosfan
01-13-2018, 04:03 AM
Exactly. It's not even entirely about ratings. The league needs all the media attention it can get at key points in the year. TSN and every other media platform are all over the Stanley Cup playoffs, whether there are Canadian teams still in contention or not. Rogers as the rights holders for NHL are even deeper in. The way the season is now, the league has full media attention at the start of the season, and throughout their playoffs, which start after the World Series. Why on earth would they want to give that up?

Makes sense. So the league basically shouldn't go any earlier than it is this year, with regular season games starting June 14-16.

Neely2005
01-13-2018, 10:44 AM

Increased ticket sales and increased US TV $.

AngeloV
01-13-2018, 03:16 PM
Increased ticket sales and increased US TV $.

Sure, if you say so. I say it will result in overall decrease in ticket sales. Less press = less awareness. And even if the US TV deal brought in 10M per year, which I have doubts on, that is not significant enough on a per team basis.

Neely2005
01-13-2018, 06:52 PM
Sure, if you say so. I say it will result in overall decrease in ticket sales. Less press = less awareness. And even if the US TV deal brought in 10M per year, which I have doubts on, that is not significant enough on a per team basis.

It's probable that the next US TV deal will be worth more than the current Canadian TV deal.

paulwoods13
01-13-2018, 07:28 PM
It's probable that the next US TV deal will be worth more than the current Canadian TV deal.

Wow, $40M Cdn per year from US TV? I'll take that bet.

rdavies
01-13-2018, 10:04 PM
I have yet to see evidence that either will materialize. I really, really doubt that NFL Network or ESPN are just dying to have more Cdn football in the summer to the tune of millions of dollars. And I'll repeat what I've written before -- IMO attendance would be adversely affected in Toronto and other eastern markets, where cottages and weekend getaways are a big part of summer culture. I think any gain from earlier playoff games on the Prairies would be offset by losses out here.While I do think NFLN is desperate for live content, and I would love to see it, I don't think the big bucks will materialize. I can't see ESPN ponying up big money to suddenly get something they were previously basically given and already know what it can offer.

But Ambrosie has been down there and meeting with both so I would wonder why he is pushing this agenda or just pushing to move the schedule up a few weeks just to see what happens. Even if he gets a decent offer from NFLN does that offset the lesser exposure than they would get on ESPN. Or is having most games on ESPN3 getting exposure? Then again ESPN3 is widely available via the internet so the potential of larger audiences is there but that could be like the error (that they never recovered from) that the NHL made choosing SportsChannel America over ESPN.

Commercial ad rates will be less the farther they get from the Christmas season, there will be more competition from other sports, so there are some cons to this whole idea.

AngeloV
01-14-2018, 12:02 AM

I have serious doubts about that. I think the money is not even at the 10M amount I used as an example. My guess is Ambrosie is taking a gamble that NFLN will be happy with the viewership and perhaps offer bigger bucks down the road. A gamble which IMO is not worth the risk.

And for the record, I get why you are defending this so hard. I know that you were the most vocal about not liking the move to BMO because you had no desire to sit outdoors in November to watch games. So you're looking at it from a personal point of view. I will be at the games no matter when they are played. I just think it's best to limit the competition around the most important times of the season.

Argofan_1000
01-14-2018, 11:11 AM

NFL networks have 70+ million subscribers @ $200 US per season each. $40M Canadian is approx 5 cents per subscriber per month. They can afford it and the CFL has earned it. Also NFL needs to keep CFL strong as the CFL works well with the NFL. Any other US league (XFL) it will be difficult to get a foot hold in the US if the CFL pays players more than they do. This is insurance for the NFL in the US.

paulwoods13
01-14-2018, 12:34 PM
NFL networks have 70+ million subscribers @ $200 US per season each. $40M Canadian is approx 5 cents per subscriber per month. They can afford it and the CFL has earned it. Also NFL needs to keep CFL strong as the CFL works well with the NFL. Any other US league (XFL) it will be difficult to get a foot hold in the US if the CFL pays players more than they do. This is insurance for the NFL in the US.

As I said, I'll take the bet. What the CFL "has earned" is whatever someone is willing to pay them. I simply can't believe NFLN will pay $40M Cdn/season for CFL rights. Would love to lose the bet, but I don't think I will. As for what will keep the XFL at bay, I suggest it has far more to do with the Big 4 networks all being under contract to the NFL than it does with the CFL paying its players more.

AngeloV
01-14-2018, 02:06 PM

I think you are confusing the NFL network price for the NFL ticket price. They are not related. NFL network is actually a free part of digital cable subscriptions in the US, and really has not been a big money maker for the league, which is why they stopped producing Thursday night games themselves and contracted CBS and NBC to start doing it.

And regarding any other league, do you really think the NFL worries about that? Vince McMahon has put aside 100M to possibly start up the XFL again. Players in that league will not be making anywhere near the minimum NFL salary, and since he will own the league entirely as he did the first time, there will be no real allegiance among fans. It would fail again, just as everything he has ever done outside of wrestling has.

Neely2005
01-14-2018, 04:10 PM

Right now TSN is paying $35+ Million a year just for the Ottawa Senators LOCAL TV rights. The CFL TV rights are National and for the entire league, not just one team.

http://ottawasun.com/2014/01/29/live-sens-announce-massive-tv-deal-hit-ice-for-practice/wcm/72faec95-3f0c-4354-9139-0c9352b14533

TSN is massively under paying for the Canadian CFL Canadian TV rights.

The US has ten times our population and the CFL is putting up good numbers with little or no promotion. Do you really think it's a coincidence that all this talk of moving the season up is gaining traction at the same time that the US CFL TV deal is about to expire?

paulwoods13
01-14-2018, 04:55 PM
Right now TSN is paying $35+ Million a year just for the Ottawa Senators LOCAL TV rights. The CFL TV rights are National and for the entire league, not just one team.

http://ottawasun.com/2014/01/29/live-sens-announce-massive-tv-deal-hit-ice-for-practice/wcm/72faec95-3f0c-4354-9139-0c9352b14533

TSN is massively under paying for the Canadian CFL Canadian TV rights.

The US has ten times our population and the CFL is putting up good numbers with little or no promotion. Do you really think it's a coincidence that all this talk of moving the season up is gaining traction at the same time that the US CFL TV deal is about to expire?

I have no doubt the league thinks it might get a big score from US TV. And I have little to no doubt it will not come even close to getting $40M/year for spring and summer coverage of a league that most Americans do not follow or care about.

The league is smart to see if it can increase revenues -- in fact, I argued many times that increasing revenue and growing the business was the primary factor they should look for in a new commissioner -- but that doesn't mean a windfall is about to happen.

What TSN pays for local hockey rights is completely irrelevant in this discussion, as is what TSN pays the CFL. Whether or not Bell is getting a bargain in its CFL deal is a matter of conjecture, but I can guarantee NFL Network does not base its programming purchase decisions on any economics other than how any deal would affect its own bottom line.

rdavies
01-14-2018, 05:06 PM
What TSN pays for local hockey rights is completely irrelevant in this discussion, as is what TSN pays the CFL.This part I don't agree with, and whether these two things can be conflated or not.

It says to me the CFL is being underpaid for what it is delivering but that doesn't mean TSN has to give the CFL more than they do the Sens. It's TSN's choice and the unfortunate part is the CFL doesn't have much choice. Maybe their best option is to try and parcel out games to different carriers, hopefully one of which is an OTA network. As a member of the growing cord cutter club I'd like to see the CFL back on CTV and CBC.

paulwoods13
01-14-2018, 07:12 PM
This part I don't agree with, and whether these two things can be conflated or not.

It says to me the CFL is being underpaid for what it is delivering but that doesn't mean TSN has to give the CFL more than they do the Sens. It's TSN's choice and the unfortunate part is the CFL doesn't have much choice. Maybe their best option is to try and parcel out games to different carriers, hopefully one of which is an OTA network. As a member of the growing cord cutter club I'd like to see the CFL back on CTV and CBC.

What TSN pays the CFL and the Senators absolutely has relevance to the CFL and to the Senators, but it has zero relevance to the NFL Network. It will pay whatever it pays, if anything, based on what CFL rights are worth to the NFL Network, not based on what TSN is paying for hockey or football.

The CFL signed the current rights agreement with Bell in good faith. Both parties agreed on the price. If the CFL got taken to the cleaners (which a lot of people who have no access to Bell's profit-and-loss statements for CFL broadcasts seem to take for granted), the CFL has no one to blame but itself.

If the CFL can negotiate a bigger score next time the contract is up, either with Bell or with someone else, or a combination, great! But like all negotiations, it will end with a number all parties can agree to. Just as the last one did. And just as the CFL's negotiations with the NFL Network, if they actually happen, will.

KCargosfan
01-15-2018, 12:22 AM
What TSN pays the CFL and the Senators absolutely has relevance to the CFL and to the Senators, but it has zero relevance to the NFL Network. It will pay whatever it pays, if anything, based on what CFL rights are worth to the NFL Network, not based on what TSN is paying for hockey or football.

The CFL signed the current rights agreement with Bell in good faith. Both parties agreed on the price. If the CFL got taken to the cleaners (which a lot of people who have no access to Bell's profit-and-loss statements for CFL broadcasts seem to take for granted), the CFL has no one to blame but itself.

If the CFL can negotiate a bigger score next time the contract is up, either with Bell or with someone else, or a combination, great! But like all negotiations, it will end with a number all parties can agree to. Just as the last one did. And just as the CFL's negotiations with the NFL Network, if they actually happen, will.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I honestly would be surprised if the NFL Network shelled out more than $5 million.

Rich
01-15-2018, 02:41 AM
Agreed wholeheartedly. I honestly would be surprised if the NFL Network shelled out more than $5 million.

I wouldn't. NFL Network is competing against ESPN for the rights. The audience for CFL games on ESPN was very promising this year, and they added extra games mid-season. June and July is a dead zone for US sports -- that's one-sixth the entire year -- and the networks are desperate for good content. There are so many football fans down there, it's not too far-fetched to imagine they could grow their viewership for CFL games over a few seasons, given the right presentation and good scheduling.

AngeloV
01-15-2018, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't. NFL Network is competing against ESPN for the rights. The audience for CFL games on ESPN was very promising this year, and they added extra games mid-season. June and July is a dead zone for US sports -- that's one-sixth the entire year -- and the networks are desperate for good content. There are so many football fans down there, it's not too far-fetched to imagine they could grow their viewership for CFL games over a few seasons, given the right presentation and good scheduling.

Personally, I think many on here have overvalued what CFL rights are worth in the US. For starters, ESPN pays next to nothing for the current rights, and I highly doubt that a bidding war will emerge for a league that has no teams in the United States.

doubleblue
01-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Personally, I think many on here have overvalued what CFL rights are worth in the US. For starters, ESPN pays next to nothing for the current rights, and I highly doubt that a bidding war will emerge for a league that has no teams in the United States.

I was wondering just how much the CFL is getting from ESPN now. When it all started we heard it was next to nothing just for the exposure. But as the viewership has grown maybe there is some money coming to the CFL now. Reason I say that is there seems to be more money available now for more Coaches and more high profile US Head Coaches. Trestman is rumoured to be making in the 600-700,000 range. June Jones and Mike Sherman wouldn't be coming to the CFL for 250,000 IMO.
Then all of a sudden people with big money are interested in putting a team in Halifax. I think something is in the wind. The old saying money always talks.
Good for the CFLP as that should translate into a much higher salary cap in 2019.

paulwoods13
01-15-2018, 11:01 AM
The old saying money always talks.
Good for the CFLP as that should translate into a much higher salary cap in 2019.

Again, I'll believe it when I see it. The PA got taken to the cleaners in the last round of barg. The CFL's lead negotiator is one of the smartest mgmt.-side labour lawyers in Cda, and the PA has the historical problem of being divided, with INTs and NATS often on different sides of the issues, and with different interests. The league and its owners are in the business of making money so they will not give a lot away without a fight. No doubt a raise will be forthcoming, and maybe we'll even have a labour disruption to force a deal, but I'll be surprised if the cap goes up a lot.

R.J
01-15-2018, 12:51 PM
Whether or not the CFL can get a decent tv deal from down South, I hope the PA can at least get significantly more money for the next CBA. $50,000 cap increases are pathetic IMO.

Neely2005
01-15-2018, 01:34 PM

The CFL usually gets better ratings on ESPN than MLS does. Right now ESPN is paying 37.5 Million USD a year for those MLS rights.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/Live-MLS-US-Soccer-officially-announce-new-TV-deal-with-ESPN-Fox-Univision.html?mobi=true

paulwoods13
01-15-2018, 02:35 PM
Ergo CFL should get more than $37.5M for US TV rights . . . Except MLS has teams in the U.S., many of its franchises have book values way higher than CFL franchises, and soccer is both a worldwide sport and perceived even in North America as a growing venture. I will be surprised if the CFL gets even $10M/season from any new US TV deal.

R.J
01-15-2018, 02:48 PM
The CFL usually gets better ratings on ESPN than MLS does. Right now ESPN is paying 37.5 Million USD a year for those MLS rights.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/Live-MLS-US-Soccer-officially-announce-new-TV-deal-with-ESPN-Fox-Univision.html?mobi=true
The MLS' tv deals (ESPN, Fox, Univision) aren't just for the MLS though, it includes tv rights for the Men's and Women's National teams, so a chunk of that money goes to the USSF. The USSF needs the MLS to be successful, so they combined the rights.

Ergo CFL should get more than $37.5M for US TV rights . . . Except MLS has teams in the U.S., many of its franchises have book values way higher than CFL franchises, and soccer is both a worldwide sport and perceived even in North America as a growing venture. I will be surprised if the CFL gets even $10M/season from any new US TV deal.
The MLS' regular season ratings are similar to the CFL's (Playoffs: the MLS pushes well ahead), but I think you're right, $10 million US would be surprising. Heck, I'd love to see a $20 million US deal, and for the next Canadian rights deal to be $100 million, but being hopeful and realistic are two different things sometimes.

Neely2005
01-15-2018, 03:08 PM

Forgot to mention that this MLS deal was signed in May 2014.

Argofan_1000
01-15-2018, 06:38 PM
The MLS' tv deals (ESPN, Fox, Univision) aren't just for the MLS though, it includes tv rights for the Men's and Women's National teams, so a chunk of that money goes to the USSF. The USSF needs the MLS to be successful, so they combined the rights.

The MLS' regular season ratings are similar to the CFL's (Playoffs: the MLS pushes well ahead), but I think you're right, $10 million US would be surprising. Heck, I'd love to see a $20 million US deal, and for the next Canadian rights deal to be $100 million, but being hopeful and realistic are two different things sometimes.

I think there are things in play right now and moving the season was also for a US TV deal. Just reading between the lines. There is an 8 month NFL gap currently and the CFL can fill some of that in the US with summer football. Football on a Football Network - seems to be a calling. I was hoping CFL would let TSN know what they want from a US TV deal and let TSN negotiate it with ESPN and NFL networks or anyone else. TSN could also use it to showcase their brand. Making the right moves now will only grow the CFL in the US.

If CBA moves to 8 - 10 million it does change how it would be viewed in the US college ranks as it could move all active roster players to $100K +. We might even have our 1st $1M dollar player in a long while

paulwoods13
01-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Predictions: The salary cap will not be at $10M even at the end of the next CBA. And CFL will not cede its bargaining with US network(s) to Bell.

argotom
01-15-2018, 07:52 PM
Predictions: The salary cap will not be at $10M even at the end of the next CBA. And CFL will not cede its bargaining with US network(s) to Bell.

Maybe not, but the players association has to do a better job during the next CBA and not capitulate like they did under the current version.
I would also be in favour of the franchise player rule excluded from the cap, with a max of $750K.

AngeloV
01-15-2018, 09:51 PM
Maybe not, but the players association has to do a better job during the next CBA and not capitulate like they did under the current version.
I would also be in favour of the franchise player rule excluded from the cap, with a max of $750K.

Problem is, as Paul mentioned above, the majority of American players are not on the same page as the Canadian players. The majority of the American players are still of the belief that they need to get more film for the hope to make it back to the NFL. Those players will not play hard ball against the owners, and thus, the cap will not go up significantly. I think the best anyone can really hope for would be a 7M cap, and that`s only with a significant increase in a TV deal.

R.J
01-16-2018, 05:21 PM
Problem is, as Paul mentioned above, the majority of American players are not on the same page as the Canadian players. The majority of the American players are still of the belief that they need to get more film for the hope to make it back to the NFL. Those players will not play hard ball against the owners, and thus, the cap will not go up significantly. I think the best anyone can really hope for would be a 7M cap, and that`s only with a significant increase in a TV deal.
TSN deal ends in 2021, and the Espn deal ends after this upcoming season. I wonder if the League sticks exclusively with TSN after 2021, orginally the new deal was supposed to end after 2018, but the extension was signed not long after the Bell and Tanenbaum sale announcement, one guess as to why the extension occurred when it did. With Rogers now owning a piece of the Argos, and talks of a tenth team, will the deal be split between the two ? Could another media outlet come into play ? Will the CFL have their own digital platform similar to NLLTV ?

It'll be interesting to see if/how much the League grows within the next 5 years.

paulwoods13
01-16-2018, 05:44 PM
Will their even be traditional networks in three years? I wouldn't bet on it, given the pace of change in the media world.

argotom
01-16-2018, 10:09 PM
Here is an interesting take by a well known Riders beat writer.
The players association has to get a better deal next CBA?

http://canoe.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/cfl-stars-deserve-level-playing-field/wcm/1833accd-425a-4141-8124-a652f12f3ff6

AngeloV
01-17-2018, 09:34 AM
Here is an interesting take by a well known Riders beat writer.
The players association has to get a better deal next CBA?

http://canoe.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/cfl-stars-deserve-level-playing-field/wcm/1833accd-425a-4141-8124-a652f12f3ff6

This is why I always say unless there is big upfront signing bonus money, a CFL player that signs more than a 1 year contract (with the exception being the mandatory 2 year entry deal) is nuts.

Shipyard
01-17-2018, 12:02 PM
This is why I always say unless there is big upfront signing bonus money, a CFL player that signs more than a 1 year contract (with the exception being the mandatory 2 year entry deal) is nuts.

signing and rosters bonuses are only forum of guaranteed money in football. Thats why the stars get them.

R.J
01-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Maybe time for the CFL to have guaranteed contracts for veterans ?
The NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts, but we do see considerably more guaranteed money worked into deals nowadays compared to 5-10 years ago.

AngeloV
01-17-2018, 03:08 PM
Maybe time for the CFL to have guaranteed contracts for veterans ?
The NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts, but we do see considerably more guaranteed money worked into deals nowadays compared to 5-10 years ago.

I don't think it will happen TBH.

paulwoods13
01-17-2018, 03:23 PM
Guaranteed contracts won't happen without a seriously disruptive work stoppage, and I just don't see it happening. The players are always divided (NATs/INTs, vets/rookies), and any work stoppage would cut into already short careers. I expect the CFLPA to do better next time than it has in past negotiations, but it's not gonna get a $10M cap, guaranteed contracts or anything like that. Vanstone is a good CFL reporter but this column is nothing more than wishful thinking.

R.J
01-17-2018, 05:44 PM
I don't think it will happen TBH.
Neither do I, just thinking aloud I guess. GM's will never go for it, and the owners during CBA negotiations have most if not all the leverage, and I doubt they'd go for it either. The players (especially the lower end ones) deserve more money though - $$$ for admin and football ops are going up at an alarming rate the last few years (I'm basing this on Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Saskatchewan's annual reports), and yet there never seems to be more money for the players. As I stated previously: $50k annual increases to the cap are pathetic IMO.

AngeloV
01-17-2018, 07:14 PM
Neither do I, just thinking aloud I guess. GM's will never go for it, and the owners during CBA negotiations have most if not all the leverage, and I doubt they'd go for it either. The players (especially the lower end ones) deserve more money though - $$$ for admin and football ops are going up at an alarming rate the last few years (I'm basing this on Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Saskatchewan's annual reports), and yet there never seems to be more money for the players. As I stated previously: $50k annual increases to the cap are pathetic IMO.

The 1 think I would like to see is for the guaranteed contract on vets to be pushed up to 4 games rather than 9. If a vet makes it out of camp, he has earned that right.

argotom
01-17-2018, 08:39 PM
So far commish Randy has proven he is a visionary in the many things he has accomplished.
Maybe it is now time as one poster mentioned earlier, instead of the current ludicrous SMS amount, replace it with a on field football budget to pay players and coaching staff.
Now that would be progressive and also like the coaches salaries being guaranteed same thing should apply to the players.
I'll throw the first figure of $12.5M annually, subject to change?

AngeloV
01-17-2018, 09:08 PM
I'll throw the first figure of $12.5M annually, subject to change?

Good luck with that one.

paulwoods13
01-17-2018, 09:10 PM
Just a reminder that Ambrosie works for the owners. Unless they want a cap that covers all football expenses, it won't happen.

SkalbaniasGhost
01-18-2018, 07:07 PM
The CFL has always had difficult relationship with media and how to sell itself in a modern world.This is a problem that goes back to the early 1970's
with the community-own western teams overruling Sam Berger with the US syndication deal that opened the door for the WFL.John F.Basset knew the
league's management was petty, short sighted, vindictive and narrow in its ways.He wanted nothing to do with maintaining ownership and it might have been
a different league if he had been involved as owner.The league is probably going to make this shortsighted move with the NFL.It is the equivalent to chasing pennies
down a gutter.Mr.Rhodes,Mr.Reynolds, and Mr.Miller want this and they will all be long gone when the damage is done.
Sadly, if they were more patient ,they could easily get a bridge contract later in the spring for the U.S rights with Amazon til 2021 and see what the media landscape will be like
at that time.

Amazon is hungry for rights to sports and they are just starting to flex their muscles.
https://www.sporttechie.com/amazon-prime-video-avp-beach-volleyball-streaming/
(https://www.sporttechie.com/amazon-prime-video-avp-beach-volleyball-streaming/)

argotom
01-18-2018, 09:50 PM
The CFL has always had difficult relationship with media and how to sell itself in a modern world.This is a problem that goes back to the early 1970's
with the community-own western teams overruling Sam Berger with the US syndication deal that opened the door for the WFL.John F.Basset knew the
league's management was petty, short sighted, vindictive and narrow in its ways.He wanted nothing to do with maintaining ownership and it might have been
a different league if he had been involved as owner.The league is probably going to make this shortsighted move with the NFL.It is the equivalent to chasing pennies
down a gutter.Mr.Rhodes,Mr.Reynolds, and Mr.Miller want this and they will all be long gone when the damage is done.
Sadly, if they were more patient ,they could easily get a bridge contract later in the spring for the U.S rights with Amazon til 2021 and see what the media landscape will be like
at that time.

Amazon is hungry for rights to sports and they are just starting to flex their muscles.
https://www.sporttechie.com/amazon-prime-video-avp-beach-volleyball-streaming/
(https://www.sporttechie.com/amazon-prime-video-avp-beach-volleyball-streaming/)

As we have seen is such a short period of time, I would not sellout commish Randy so fast.
The man appears to be a business genius and I would not be surprised if he is not already looking into this possibility?

KCargosfan
01-19-2018, 01:25 AM

You seem to think both of those networks have that kind of money to burn, which isn't the case. ESPN, for sure, isn't going to shell out any kind of substantial cash with its financial position.

KCargosfan
01-19-2018, 01:34 AM

Concur.

Honestly, I bet the salary cap doesn't even start at $6 million in 2019. You're probably looking at $5.5-$5.75.

Flutie
01-23-2018, 07:37 AM
I think there are things in play right now and moving the season was also for a US TV deal. Just reading between the lines. There is an 8 month NFL gap currently and the CFL can fill some of that in the US with summer football. Football on a Football Network - seems to be a calling. I was hoping CFL would let TSN know what they want from a US TV deal and let TSN negotiate it with ESPN and NFL networks or anyone else. TSN could also use it to showcase their brand. Making the right moves now will only grow the CFL in the US.

If CBA moves to 8 - 10 million it does change how it would be viewed in the US college ranks as it could move all active roster players to $100K +. We might even have our 1st $1M dollar player in a long while

Moving the start of the CFL season earlier could mean more CFL games televised in the US. There were even less CFL games televised on ESPN this year, I think there were only two games televised after the NFL season started on ESPN2. The East and West semis were televised on ESPN2 and the East final, when I tuned into watch the West final it was switched to the ESPN News channel and I would need the higher sports package to watch it.
ESPN & ESPN2 are on the basic sports package for most providers in the US.
The fact that ESPN will televise very few CFL games after August leads me to believe that the CFL ratings are terrible after NCAA/NFL begins. Americans are starved for football in June/July but then love their NCAA/NFL beginning in August with the pre-season.
But ALL CFL games are streamed on ESPN3, but there is no way of knowing how many people stream since only TV viewers are rated by Nielsen.

I can't see the CBA being raised, why would the owners of teams that are losing money hand over any increase in TV revenue to the players? some of the owners have been losing money for years and to turn over any increase to the players would be crazy.
Players need to realize that you are not going to get rich playing in the CFL, it's pretty good pay for 5 months work. If you want a million dollars then use the CFL as a prep to build your resume for a return to the NFL.

As someone stated above, the way that viewing has changed and millions cutting the cord, no guarantees that there would be an increase in the TV contract.
It is unbelievable how most young people don't watch TV anymore they stream on their tablets/phones etc.

The CFL TV ratings are down 300k from 2011.

Maybe the CFL will sell streaming rights to make up for ratings losses.

rdavies
01-23-2018, 03:25 PM
Soccer's taking over right? ; )

7dj83r8f78t4alf8