View Full Version : Ricky Ray - debate on return/retirement

Aces
12-18-2017, 02:03 PM
CFL.ca article about Ricky:

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/12/16/great-debate-ricky-ray-walk-away/

(I personally hope he returns and plays with Franklin as our backup -- time will tell).

There's a poll at bottom article - at this time, nearly 60% has him playing next season.

Skilz
12-18-2017, 04:11 PM
https://www.tsn.ca/argos-rb-whitaker-pondering-retirement-1.947301

Ricky's not the only one.

With the emergence of Wilder Jr., safe to safe B-Whit is on his way out as well...

I expect more touches for Declan Cross and perhaps another import RB to carry the load...

Ron
12-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Everyone mentions what Burris did. If Burris was 38 when he did it there's no way he'd have retired.

I see two possibilities. 1. They sign Franklin and Ray returns as backup as he transitions to coaching 2. They don't sign Franklin and Ray returns to start.

paulwoods13
12-18-2017, 05:13 PM
I see two possibilities. 1. They sign Franklin and Ray returns as backup as he transitions to coaching 2. They don't sign Franklin and Ray returns to start.

I agree those are the most likely scenarios. I can't see Franklin agreeing to backup money when there are likely other teams that would sign him as a starter. I'd love both guys on the roster, with Franklin playing the most but Ricky available as needed. I don't see it happening the other way, unfortunately.

Argo57
12-18-2017, 07:36 PM
My uneducated guess is Ray retires on top which in many ways could be a blessing in that it would force the Argos to sign Franklin as their QB.
Ray was fantastic in 2017 but I fear a commitment to him in 2018 will force the Argos to miss out on their QB of the future (Franklin) which they would ultimately regret for years to come.
From Ray’s perspective what a way to end his career!

AngeloV
12-18-2017, 08:34 PM
I agree those are the most likely scenarios. I can't see Franklin agreeing to backup money when there are likely other teams that would sign him as a starter. I'd love both guys on the roster, with Franklin playing the most but Ricky available as needed. I don't see it happening the other way, unfortunately.

I don't see it happening either way. If Ray doesn't retire, he will be the starter IMO, and Franklin will test FA to see if anyone offers starters money. The only way they sign both is if Franklin doesn't have a starters job with starters pay offered to him elsewhere.

My uneducated guess is Ray retires on top which in many ways could be a blessing in that it would force the Argos to sign Franklin as their QB.
Ray was fantastic in 2017 but I fear a commitment to him in 2018 will force the Argos to miss out on their QB of the future (Franklin) which they would ultimately regret for years to come.
From Ray’s perspective what a way to end his career!

Only problem is that there is no guarantee they would have Franklin beyond 2018. If he starts, and has a good year, he will take an NFL chance. I don't see him signing a longer than 1 year contract with his known desire to try the NFL.

I may be in the minority, but I wouldn't be too upset if the Ray returned and the Argos signed Collaros rather than Franklin.

Argo57
12-18-2017, 08:41 PM
I don't see it happening either way. If Ray doesn't retire, he will be the starter IMO, and Franklin will test FA to see if anyone offers starters money. The only way they sign both is if Franklin doesn't have a starters job with starters pay offered to him elsewhere.

Only problem is that there is no guarantee they would have Franklin beyond 2018. If he starts, and has a good year, he will take an NFL chance. I don't see him signing a longer than 1 year contract with his known desire to try the NFL.

I may be in the minority, but I wouldn't be too upset if the Ray returned and the Argos signed Collaros rather than Franklin.

As long as they address the QB situation for the future I’m ok with it, my fear is Ray returns for another year then retires and the Argos are left empty handed.
In regards to Franklin you would think Popp has a pretty good idea of his expectations moving forward.

Wobbler
12-18-2017, 09:54 PM
I think we'd all feel better if we had Ray plus another guy who'd be expected to win games (regardless of who the game 1 starter was) but could we afford it without seriously harming the rest of the team? We have a few players who will be expecting good raises next year, and our anticipated retirees aren't big ticket guys.

Rich
12-19-2017, 02:31 AM

I don't think we will sign him if he only wants one year. At least two years or nothing. It takes a year for the city just to learn the guy's name. They are going to market the heck out of James Wilder Jr. next year, and even if he leaves after the end of it they will have gained some marketing mileage out of him. You don't get that bump if the guy's here for just one year.

Argo57
12-19-2017, 07:43 AM
I don't think we will sign him if he only wants one year. At least two years or nothing. It takes a year for the city just to learn the guy's name. They are going to market the heck out of James Wilder Jr. next year, and even if he leaves after the end of it they will have gained some marketing mileage out of him. You don't get that bump if the guy's here for just one year.

Agree, if the Argos are giving Franklin starters money (which they will need to) then they should demand he signs for 2 years.
One and done does is no good for this franchise IMO.

R.J
12-19-2017, 12:31 PM
We could still lose Franklin no matter what Ray decides to do. Franklin is clearly Plan B if Ray retires, but if he bolts, what's Plan C ?

Will
12-19-2017, 12:38 PM
We could still lose Franklin no matter what Ray decides to do. Franklin is clearly Plan B if Ray retires, but if he bolts, what's Plan C ?

Zach?

R.J
12-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Zach?
I'd have zero issue with that.

Argo
12-19-2017, 01:40 PM

If Franklin cannot be signed or intends to sign on looking to be a one-and-done, and if Bridge's NFL audition comes to naught, then by all means try to sign Bridge to a longer deal. BB is around six years younger than ZC and brings a great deal of upside.
While there's current performance data on BB, there is none on ZC, and that concerns me.

R.J
12-19-2017, 01:49 PM
If Franklin cannot be signed or intends to sign on looking to be a one-and-done, and if Bridge's NFL audition comes to naught, then by all means try to sign Bridge to a longer deal. BB is around six years younger than ZC and brings a great deal of upside.
While there's current performance data on BB, there is none on ZC, and that concerns me.
Zach is 3.5 years older than Bridge.

AngeloV
12-19-2017, 03:35 PM

And IMO a lot better.

argotom
12-19-2017, 03:44 PM
I still think Ricky will do the Henry last year thing and retire.
As for Franklin, there are no guarantees, similarly the contract are also not guaranteed.
Therefore I would roll the dice with him as from what I have seen he is a franchise player.
The team should do whatever it takes to sign him to a multi year deal.

Skilz
12-19-2017, 03:56 PM
I think most posters have a case of the "recency" effect when it comes to the negative evaluations on Collaros.

Collaros in his time with the Argos, won I believe 4 of 5 on a crucial Argos Trip.

Having left the Argos, he led the Kitties to two Grey Cup appearances.

Safe to say, he would be a viable option if Franklin were to fly the coop. Buy low, sell high on Collaros...

His injuries have certainly reduced his potential worth, but I believe Zach would be more likely to sign a 2 year contract and sit behind Ray - more than Franklin would.

paulwoods13
12-19-2017, 04:09 PM

One, actually. Henry got them to the 2013 GC, Zach the following year.

Argo
12-19-2017, 06:49 PM

Ok, got it.

AngeloV
12-19-2017, 07:40 PM
I think most posters have a case of the "recency" effect when it comes to the negative evaluations on Collaros.

Collaros in his time with the Argos, won I believe 4 of 5 on a crucial Argos Trip.

Safe to say, he would be a viable option if Franklin were to fly the coop. Buy low, sell high on Collaros...

His injuries have certainly reduced his potential worth, but I believe Zach would be more likely to sign a 2 year contract and sit behind Ray - more than Franklin would.

I'm with you on this.

R.J
12-19-2017, 07:58 PM
And IMO a lot better.
Too bad he doesn't have Bridge's passport.

argotom
12-19-2017, 09:23 PM
I have previously ad nauseam gone on record about the team keeping Zach and or Trevor.
Now, if Franklin is not signed, I think bringing back Zach seems like the obvious thing to do.
The kid did not lose being a first string QB in one season, on top of which we all know what Marc can do with QB's.
He was the odds on favourite for league MOP if it was not for a season injury.

AngeloV
12-19-2017, 10:09 PM
I have previously ad nauseam gone on record about the team keeping Zach and or Trevor.
Now, if Franklin is not signed, I think bringing back Zach seems like the obvious thing to do.
The kid did not lose being a first string QB in one season, on top of which we all know what Marc can do with QB's.

Yes, but at the time you were obviously wrong, as Ray has now won another championship, while the others are still looking. However, I think now would be a great time to bring Collaros back, and as I mentioned earlier, I think I would prefer him to Franklin, only for the reason that I am convinced Franklin is still looking to try the NFL. I believe ZC would sign here whether or not Ray is still in the picture.

Rich
12-20-2017, 01:45 AM
Regardless of whether Ray stays or goes, we need to make a big QB signing in the off-season. If it's not Franklin or Collaros or Bridge -- and let's face it, bad timing could mean we lose out on all three -- then it's going to have to be another big signing.

R.J
12-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Yes, but at the time you were obviously wrong, as Ray has now won another championship, while the others are still looking. However, I think now would be a great time to bring Collaros back, and as I mentioned earlier, I think I would prefer him to Franklin, only for the reason that I am convinced Franklin is still looking to try the NFL. I believe ZC would sign here whether or not Ray is still in the picture.
I wonder what Zach or even Harris could've done here had they been given the reins.

AngeloV
12-20-2017, 02:44 PM
I wonder what Zach or even Harris could've done here had they been given the reins.

The one thing that you can't undervalue as far as Ray goes is his calming influence. I have never ever seen him lose it on a teammate or a coach. That goes a long way in having the players play harder for him. I think Zach showed a bad temper at times when things didn't go his way. I think coming back to Toronto and playing under Trestman or even behind Ray for another year will take him to that absolute next level.

R.J
12-20-2017, 02:54 PM
The one thing that you can't undervalue as far as Ray goes is his calming influence. I have never ever seen him lose it on a teammate or a coach. That goes a long way in having the players play harder for him. I think Zach showed a bad temper at times when things didn't go his way. I think coming back to Toronto and playing under Trestman or even behind Ray for another year will take him to that absolute next level.
Austin's temperament may have influenced Zach, but who knows until he's coached by someone like Trestman.

Brandon Bridge signed a 1 year deal to stay with the Riders, so there goes that until next off season.

Argo
12-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Brandon Bridge signed a 1 year deal to stay with the Riders, so there goes that until next off season.

Not a bad outcome for Brandon Bridge and the Riders. I expect to see progression and a good deal of exiting play by this gifted Canadian athlete. And some growing pains? Everyone has growing pains.

AngeloV
12-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Austin's temperament may have influenced Zach, but who knows until he's coached by someone like Trestman.

Did he even have his workout with the Giants?

R.J
12-20-2017, 07:42 PM
Not sure. Either way it's the Giants, I think Brett Jones is the only CFL player to sign long term with them.

argos1873
12-20-2017, 07:48 PM

According to a report on CFL.ca this morning, posted before he re-signed, he had a pending workout with the Giants. So I assume he didn't do it.

Rich
12-21-2017, 02:30 AM
I think Zach showed a bad temper at times when things didn't go his way.

And I think question marks about his character still hang over his head. When you compare Collaros with Trevor Harris, Collaros has more talent but Harris seems to have much more heart and leadership ability, making him the better QB IMO. But you are right, it is also possible that Trestman could bring out the best in Collaros' character.

AngeloV
12-21-2017, 10:47 AM
And I think question marks about his character still hang over his head. When you compare Collaros with Trevor Harris, Collaros has more talent but Harris seems to have much more heart and leadership ability, making him the better QB IMO. But you are right, it is also possible that Trestman could bring out the best in Collaros' character.

Not just Trestman. Ray too. Collaros never had an issue when he was with the Argos.

Argo
12-21-2017, 11:43 AM

Harris also throws better.

Neely2005
12-27-2017, 07:36 PM

Yes I believe you also said that Ray couldn't stay healthy?

Allen and Burris both won MOP in their 40's. No reason that Ray couldn't do the same thing.

Argo57
12-27-2017, 09:18 PM

Allen and Burris both won MOP in their 40's. No reason that Ray couldn't do the same thing.

No question the skill and leadership qualities are still there, big question is does he still have the desire to play or will he call it quits while on top.
My guess is he retires on top.

AngeloV
12-28-2017, 03:56 PM

To be fair, Allen and Burris were also both more athletic than Ray. Ray hasn't shown any signs of diminishing skills, but from what I have seen over the years, the better the athlete, the longer the skills last. I can almost guarantee you will not see Ray play into his 40's.

Harpastum
12-28-2017, 10:32 PM
Regardless of Ray's age related limitations - I believe we will see him return for the paycheck & no other reason.
No doubt we owe the Grey Cup to his leadership & the chance to repeat this feat would be important to him - but retirement is not something he will consider.
Instead of going out while on top - he will choose another year of earning the big money while he is still able...
And I can't say I'll blame him once he does.

R.J
12-28-2017, 10:44 PM

If Ray returns in 2018, let's see if he stays healthy again. 2 out of 6 "healthy" seasons is nothing to crow about.

argos1873
12-28-2017, 11:04 PM
Regardless of Ray's age related limitations - I believe we will see him return for the paycheck & no other reason.
No doubt we owe the Grey Cup to his leadership & the chance to repeat this feat would be important to him - but retirement is not something he will consider.
Instead of going out while on top - he will choose another year of earning the big money while he is still able...
And I can't say I'll blame him once he does.

I honestly never saw Ray as a paycheck first guy. If he comes back, which I actually think he will, its because he loves playing football, and loves winning. I think he tries to play till 40 (if his body allows him), and I don't think its just for the paycheck.

Topshelf
12-28-2017, 11:29 PM
The Manziel window is now open.
Sadly, I think he'd sell more tickets, so I wouldn't be suprised if our new owners mlse are making calls

gilthethrill
12-29-2017, 07:19 AM
Sadly, I think he'd sell more tickets, so I wouldn't be suprised if our new owners mlse are making calls

I disagree. I don't think MLSE will be making any calls. Jim Popp calls the shots with the Argos.

Argo57
12-29-2017, 08:47 AM
I disagree. I don't think MLSE will be making any calls. Jim Popp calls the shots with the Argos.

Also don’t think Manziel is a Trestman type of player.

gilthethrill
12-29-2017, 09:39 AM
Also don’t think Manziel is a Trestman type of player.

I don't know how this will play out....but I still see Collaros in Double Blue next season.

doubleblue
12-29-2017, 09:40 AM
My take is still (until other wise stated by the Argos) that Ricky is coming back and Franklin will eventually sign as his back up with the promise to see more playing time and of course learning under Trestman, the QB Guru.
The NFL will want to see Franklin play more before committing any big time money to him, which is exactly what the Giants told Bridge. There is no substitute for game time playing experience. I don't think it is a big deal for Ricky to go "out on top". He's playing well, should have most of the offence back and things were really just starting to come together in the last half of the season. They can hit the ground running in 2018. Might just to be a bigger deal for Ricky to add to his HOF stats than just having won another Grey Cup. Been there done that a few times.

Of course I have been wrong before, just can't remember. lol

Jon Gonzo
12-29-2017, 09:48 AM
I agree. Ricky Ray is not paycheck-driven but we all have families.

My hunch hasn't changed. I think Ricky is coming back. Why? Cos he's in "QB Nirvana" and he knows it. And, because he also knows he's capable. Hank did it, Damon did it and most importantly another immobile QB with a quick release did it under the same system. He can win another CUP, he can jump into 2nd All-Time in "Most Pass Completions," and 3rd in "Yards in a season/passing."

And he can message his future in coaching under a couple of former QB's who know how to coach.

It's win-win.

I think Ricky will rest his bones, and be back AND I don't buy that James Franklin won't buy what Jim Popp is selling also.

Call it optimistic, but I see a large amount of FA's returnees next year, with Ray and Franklin getting paid for starts.

Winning programs are magnetic.

Argo
12-29-2017, 10:45 AM
I agree. Ricky Ray is not paycheck-driven but we all have families.

My hunch hasn't changed. I think Ricky is coming back. Why? Cos he's in "QB Nirvana" and he knows it. And, because he also knows he's capable. Hank did it, Damon did it and most importantly another immobile QB with a quick release did it under the same system. He can win another CUP, he can jump into 2nd All-Time in "Most Pass Completions," and 3rd in "Yards in a season/passing."

And he can message his future in coaching under a couple of former QB's who know how to coach.

It's win-win.

I think Ricky will rest his bones, and be back AND I don't buy that James Franklin won't buy what Jim Popp is selling also.

Call it optimistic, but I see a large amount of FA's returnees next year, with Ray and Franklin getting paid for starts.

Winning programs are magnetic.

Most any Argos fan could float happily within this scenario. It even - hypothetically, of course - solves the potentially fatal problem of sinking too many dollars into the QB position (and a wonderfully strong QB position at that).

Argo
12-29-2017, 10:49 AM

Thankfully, Johnny Football is Hamilton's "opportunity". Although a good outcome for all concerned would also be good for the league.

AngeloV
12-29-2017, 11:36 AM
I don't know how this will play out....but I still see Collaros in Double Blue next season.

So do I. Unless Ray retires before February, I don't see the Argos with any chance at signing Franklin, and Collaros would be great IMO.

Neely2005
12-29-2017, 12:36 PM
If Ray returns in 2018, let's see if he stays healthy again. 2 out of 6 "healthy" seasons is nothing to crow about.

The 2 Grey Cups in those 2 seasons are.

Has also played more games in Toronto than Collaros has in Hamilton during the same time.

R.J
12-29-2017, 03:51 PM
The 2 Grey Cups in those 2 seasons are.

Has also played more games in Toronto than Collaros has in Hamilton during the same time.
I'm pretty sure that Jarious Jackson had to play a few games in 2012 due to an injury to Ray, so not exactly what I'd call healthy. I find it interesting that you always seem to bring up Collaros when he wasn't even discussed, almost as if you have nothing else to fall back on. The actual numbers show that in terms of games where the QB entered the game, Ray has played in 2 more regular season games, but he and Collaros are even when including playoffs. In terms of starting, Ray has started one more regular season game, but Collaros has a 1 game advantage over Ray when playoffs are included.

I also find it odd that QB wins (including Grey Cups) are not a valid stat to some, unless it benefits Ricky Ray in a discussion.

Neely2005
12-30-2017, 08:57 AM
I'm pretty sure that Jarious Jackson had to play a few games in 2012 due to an injury to Ray, so not exactly what I'd call healthy. I find it interesting that you always seem to bring up Collaros when he wasn't even discussed, almost as if you have nothing else to fall back on. The actual numbers show that in terms of games where the QB entered the game, Ray has played in 2 more regular season games, but he and Collaros are even when including playoffs. In terms of starting, Ray has started one more regular season game, but Collaros has a 1 game advantage over Ray when playoffs are included.

I also find it odd that QB wins (including Grey Cups) are not a valid stat to some, unless it benefits Ricky Ray in a discussion.

So everything that I said was accurate then. I compared Ray to Collaros because you already said that you were okay with Collaros in this very Thread:

I'd have zero issue with that.

R.J
12-30-2017, 11:18 AM
You stated that Ray started in more games than Collaros, which technically isn't true since Collaros has started in 1 more game than Ray when including playoffs. And you also stated that Ray's two healthy seasons lead to Grey Cup, which again isn't true since Jackson had to start a few games in 2012 due to Ray being injured. Ray's "healthy" season were in 2014 and 2017, where he started in 17 regular season games and played in the playoffs.

Sounds to me as though you're still bitter about the whole Ray vs. Collaros thing.

Argo57
12-30-2017, 11:45 AM
You stated that Ray started in more games than Collaros, which technically isn't true since Collaros has started in 1 more game than Ray when including playoffs. And you also stated that Ray's two healthy seasons lead to Grey Cup, which again isn't true since Jackson had to start a few games in 2012 due to Ray being injured. Ray's "healthy" season were in 2014 and 2017, where he started in 17 regular season games and played in the playoffs.

Sounds to me as though you're still bitter about the whole Ray vs. Collaros thing.

No one should be bitter, most of us still basking in the glow of our latest World Championship.
Relax and enjoy!

Neely2005
12-30-2017, 03:30 PM

Actually if you want to get technical I said played not started. I consider 2012 a healthy season too.

Why would I be bitter? The Argonauts made the right choice and kept Ray who lead us to another Grey Cup. Collaros was oft injured and then benched in favour of a mediocre at best backup Quarterback. Collaros hasn't won a game since 2016.

R.J
12-30-2017, 03:36 PM
Actually if you want to get technical I said played not started. I consider 2012 a healthy season too.

Why would I be bitter? The Argonauts made the right choice and kept Ray who lead us to another Grey Cup. Collaros was oft injured and then benched in favour of a mediocre at best backup Quarterback. Collaros hasn't won a game since 2016.
Funny how you say that Collaros is oft injured, and yet refuse to admit that Ray is as well.

Neely2005
12-30-2017, 04:40 PM
Funny how you say that Collaros is oft injured, and yet refuse to admit that Ray is as well.

Whatever, this conversation goes nowhere with you, and people say I'm biased.

When did I say that Ray doesn't get injured? I said that Collaros was injured as often or more often than Ray.

The difference is that Ray wins Grey Cups, Collaros rides the bench.

Jon Gonzo
12-31-2017, 12:01 PM
No one should be bitter, most of us still basking in the glow of our latest World Championship.
Relax and enjoy!

Yes, I was thinking that we'd all still be smoking cigars at this point.

Enjoy the rum dipped bliss (;

R.J
12-31-2017, 12:40 PM
I don't see the Ticats letting Manziel go anywhere, way too much potential for the team on and off the field.

Jon Gonzo
01-01-2018, 01:07 PM
I don't see the Ticats letting Manziel go anywhere, way too much potential for the team on and off the field.

I could see Manziel in Montreal. Probably not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

R.J
01-01-2018, 01:45 PM
I could see Manziel in Montreal. Probably not, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Montreal probably wants him, and I wouldn't put it past Kavis and the Wetenhall's, but I don't see it happening. Manziel would help sell tickets, and if he's got his head right, a damn good football players that could win a lot of games. I don't think the Ticats brass is completely sold on Masoli.

jerrym
01-23-2018, 11:11 AM
Farhan Lalji is reporting positive news in the negotiations between Ray and the Argos.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rickey Ray getting closer on a decision on whether or not he plans to play next season. Talks between Ray &amp; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Argos</a> have been positive. No real panic to get a deal done immediately but that could change with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFLFA?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CFLFA</a> just over 3 weeks away. <a href="https://twitter.com/CFLonTSN?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CFLonTSN</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@cfl</a></p>&mdash; Farhan Lalji (@FarhanLaljiTSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/status/955567315457683456?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 22, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1971GreyCup
01-23-2018, 01:25 PM
If I am Ricky Ray and I watched Tom Brady play at the level Tom played at on Sunday, I return for at least another season. I am pretty sure that by the end of last season the Argos would do anything for Coach Trestman. That'll carry over to this season as well. Ricky has got lots more leverage on his negotiating position this season too.

Skilz
02-02-2018, 03:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/732441951639851008/aJA4BSxF_bigger.jpgFarhan Lalji‏Verified account @FarhanLaljiTSN (https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN)<button type="button" class=" EdgeButton EdgeButton--secondary EdgeButton--medium button-text follow-text" style="color: rgb(29, 161, 242); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: bold; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; background: rgb(255, 255, 255); border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(29, 161, 242); padding: 6px 16px; transition: box-shadow 0.15s ease-in-out; border-radius: 100px; box-shadow: none; position: relative; white-space: nowrap; display: block; min-width: 105px;">FollowFollow
@FarhanLaljiTSN

</button>

<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover dropdown-toggle js-dropdown-toggle" type="button" style="color: rgb(101, 119, 134); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px 0px 0px 9px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; padding: 2px 9px; transition: box-shadow 0.15s ease-in-out; position: relative;">More
</button>

BREAKING: Ricky Ray has agreed to a 1 year deal to return to the #Argos (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash) @cflontsn (https://twitter.com/CFLonTSN) @ (https://twitter.com/CFL)cfl
(https://twitter.com/CFL)
Ricky Ray is back for another year!!

Depth Chart Prediction: Ray, Franklin, Macleod-Thompson, Prukop

1971GreyCup
02-02-2018, 03:22 PM
Depth chart has Fajado before Macleod-Thompson and Prukop. Too important to STs.

paulwoods13
02-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Depth chart has Fajado before Macleod-Thompson and Prukop. Too important to STs.

I have to disagree with this. Fajardo played specials in 2016 but I don't think he saw much action there last season. He's a good holder and an excellent short-yardage guy, but I am not expecting him to be re-signed. I think Bethel-Thompson starts the year as No. 2, with Prukop or another kid on the IR/PR as insurance.

Joe Barnes
02-02-2018, 06:17 PM
I have to disagree with this. Fajardo played specials in 2016 but I don't think he saw much action there last season. He's a good holder and an excellent short-yardage guy, but I am not expecting him to be re-signed. I think Bethel-Thompson starts the year as No. 2, with Prukop or another kid on the IR/PR as insurance.

Ray/Franklin then Bethel-Thompson? I liked Prukop, so would be glad to see him stay. I also liked Fajardo, hopefully he catches on somewhere...

Shatto
02-02-2018, 06:43 PM
Not sure if Bethel-Thompson is as much in the picture, now Franklin has been signed. Ray will be the number 1 QB with 26 year old Franklin the number 2 and heir apparent. But they still need a short yardage QB and Fajardo with his size and excellent running ability could well be the number 3 QB. This is dependant on Fajardo not signing with another team.

doubleblue
02-02-2018, 07:39 PM
I wonder if Prukop and/or Fajardo could be tried at another position while they wait their turn. QB's are generally good athletes or least they used to be when I played. lol That's the way it used to be in the CFL for back up QB's before the rule change to what it is today. Most played DB or receiver and some were very good at it.
But I can see Fajardo reading the tea leaves and maybe thinking he has a better chance somewhere else in the League.

paulwoods13
02-02-2018, 08:23 PM
Ray/Franklin then Bethel-Thompson? I liked Prukop, so would be glad to see him stay. I also liked Fajardo, hopefully he catches on somewhere...

Yeah, I meant to say B-T at No. 3, not No. 2.

AngeloV
02-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Yeah, I meant to say B-T at No. 3, not No. 2.

I don't see B-T as #3 now. The Argos seem to like having a guy that can also contribute elsewhere at #3. Both Prukop and Fajardo played special teams last year, and I expect to see Prukop ahead of B-T on the roster for that reason.

gilthethrill
02-03-2018, 03:43 PM
I fully expect Fajardo to be allowed to explore free agency.

argotom
02-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Now that Ricky is coming back, I hope Marc will have several packages for Franklin to get him in the game?
Even though this is contrary to his coaching style.

ArgoRavi
02-03-2018, 11:58 PM
Now that Ricky is coming back, I hope Marc will have several packages for Franklin to get him in the game?
Even though this is contrary to his coaching style.

I wouldn't expect that, AT. Ray will be the starter and play every down unless he is injured IMO.

jerrym
02-04-2018, 01:41 AM
I wouldn't expect that, AT. Ray will be the starter and play every down unless he is injured IMO.

I think Franklin will at least get some short yardage work and some plays near the goal, like Fajardo last year, because of Franklin's running ability. Fajardo I suspect will go elsewhere in free agency to get more playing time. I think Franklin may also get a few change of pace sets when the Argos are in the doldrums as he has shown more on-the-field promise so far than Fajardo, who to be fair hasn't had much of a chance to do that.

jerrym
02-04-2018, 01:46 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">No. 1️⃣5️⃣ on the field. No. 1️⃣ in the record books. <br><br>The legend of Ricky Ray continues.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ArgosFootball?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ArgosFootball</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CFL</a> <a href="https://t.co/938C0O0Ysu">pic.twitter.com/938C0O0Ysu</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/959844077348048896?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 3, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rich
02-04-2018, 02:12 AM

Ray, Franklin, Trestman, Popp -- every one of them knows it is better for the franchise if Franklin gets significant playing time this year. Maybe everyone is assuming Ricky will get hurt this season and miss a bunch of games, not an unreasonable assumption, but he did miss only one last year. Either way it is a very different dynamic at the QB position than it was going into last season, and i think it would be foolish not to give Franklin a fair share of starter's reps from day one of camp. Ricky doesn't need as much practice anymore anyway (smiley face here). <grin> I'll be disappointed if they don't have some special, change-of-pace packages for Franklin even when Ricky starts. I know 2QB systems rarely work, but this is an exceptional circumstance and it calls for exceptional measures.</grin>

Jon Gonzo
02-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Ricky Ray is the starter; Franklin is the backup. I fail to see this as any sort of a problem.

AngeloV
02-04-2018, 02:39 PM
Ricky Ray is the starter; Franklin is the backup. I fail to see this as any sort of a problem.

Agreed 100%. Marc Trestman coaches to win every game. The last thing he wants to do is start a QB controversy.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8