PDA

View Full Version : Argos to announce contract for QB Franklin!

Skilz
01-04-2018, 11:11 AM
https://www.tsn.ca/argos-to-announce-contract-for-qb-franklin-1.958958

Most exciting news yet...an early 2018 gift.

Praying for a two year deal.....

R.J
01-04-2018, 11:58 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TorontoArgos</a> deal with QB James Franklin is for 2 years and allows them $$ room to bring back Ricky Ray. Franklin to arrive in T.O. today for a medical before deal becomes official. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CFL</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Argos</a></p>&mdash; David William Naylor (@TSNDaveNaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor/status/948960547378286592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 4, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As I said in the other thread, I'm surprised Franklin signed a 2 year deal.

AngeloV
01-04-2018, 12:18 PM
Wow. I am very surprised. This is really good news. Hopefully he will decide to stay in Canada for the rest of his career and the Argos have him for at least 6-8 years.

argotom
01-04-2018, 08:58 PM
This is excellent news for us, as Franklin from what little I have seen over the years appears to be the real deal.
It now appears more than likely Ray will retire.

Neely2005
01-04-2018, 09:03 PM
This is excellent news for us, as Franklin from what little I have seen over the years appears to be the real deal.
It now appears more than likely Ray will retire.

You've been hoping that Ray will retire for years. He wins the Grey Cup and has one of his best seasons ever and people are still trying to push him out the door.

Bleeds Double Blue
01-04-2018, 09:05 PM
You've been hoping that Ray will retire for years. He wins the Grey Cup and has one of his best seasons ever and people are still trying to push him out the door.

Argotom might be pushing for Ray to retire but not me. I hope he signs on for two more years.

ArgoZ
01-04-2018, 09:06 PM
Wow. I am very surprised. This is really good news. Hopefully he will decide to stay in Canada for the rest of his career and the Argos have him for at least 6-8 years.

I think the greatest strength of Frankin is his confidence. He knows he can do the job and has proven it every time he gets in the game. It is what Collaros used to have, especially his last year in Toronto and first year in Hamilton. I see similarities with Franklin's arrival in Toronto.

argotom
01-04-2018, 09:15 PM

No, I have not said that now.
The current silence is same to what happened last year with Henry Burris when eventually he came out and officially retired.
Regardless, it is expected Ricky will advise some time this month of his status.

Argo57
01-04-2018, 09:38 PM
No, I have not said that now.
The current silence is same to what happened last year with Henry Burris when eventually he came out and officially retired.
Regardless, it is expected Ricky will advise some time this month of his status.

I didn’t take your comments as you wanting Ray to retire.
Popp should be commended for proactively acquiring and locking Franklin up at a very modest price.
I still think Ray will retire but would be thrilled if he returned, either way the Argos have assembled a pretty impressive stable of young promising QB’s just in case.

gilthethrill
01-05-2018, 10:19 AM
I wonder where this leaves Cody Fajardo. I believe he is a pending FA. Not sure there is room in Toronto for him. Montreal might be looking for a QB.

paulwoods13
01-05-2018, 10:29 AM
I wonder where this leaves Cody Fajardo. I believe he is a pending FA. Not sure there is room in Toronto for him. Montreal might be looking for a QB.

If Ricky comes back, I expect Cody will be allowed to walk away. I think the organization likes Bethel-Thompson better than Fajardo, and Prukop is a decent prospect. Fajardo is a good scrambling-type QB but not sure he fits well in a Trestman read-and-rip offence. I could see Mtl signing him -- he could be a better option than Durant and Willy.

Will
01-05-2018, 10:43 AM
If Ricky comes back, I expect Cody will be allowed to walk away. I think the organization likes Bethel-Thompson better than Fajardo, and Prukop is a decent prospect. Fajardo is a good scrambling-type QB but not sure he fits well in a Trestman read-and-rip offence. I could see Mtl signing him -- he could be a better option than Durant and Willy.

Do you think he sticks around if Ricky retires?

Stevoman
01-05-2018, 11:19 AM
Excellent news regarding Franklin. Stoked that it is through the 2019 season!

paulwoods13
01-05-2018, 11:21 AM
Do you think he sticks around if Ricky retires?

50/50. He may see Montreal as a better shot at playing time. And we may or may not make him an offer. He is definitely not gonna get more than third-string money from the Argos, either way IMO.

mchesher03
01-05-2018, 11:27 AM
yeah I can't help but see the Montreal angle here, if Ricky is back (which I think happens), I can't see Franklin not seeing greener pastures in Montreal.

Anyhow as I often am, I hope I'm wrong.

#isitjuneyet

Jon Gonzo
01-05-2018, 12:24 PM
I don't believe that Montreal will enter into the equation for Ricky Ray.

From what I have gathered; it's Argos or not.

I believe we will see RR continue his service with the Toronto Argonauts in one way, shape or form.

Stevoman
01-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Just listened to his interview on TSN. I appreciate his demeanour and politeness with the reporters. Seems like a player with a proper perspective on the game and on life and I'm glad that he's on the team and hopefully he grows to be the star that everyone is hoping he becomes.

R.J
01-05-2018, 02:14 PM
Sounds as though his agent couldn't land him any NFL tryouts, since he "stopped pursuing that after a little bit (the NFL)". Franklin sounds like he'll be a top notch player, and a guy fans can be proud of. I hope to see him starting sooner rather than later.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/franklin-excited-for-new-chapter-in-toronto-ready-to-be-patient-behind-ray~1297652

paulwoods13
01-05-2018, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure how this conversation spun into will Franklin see Montreal as greener pastures/will Ricky go to Montreal. Franklin has already made his choice, and no one has suggested Ricky is going to Montreal. I did, however, respond to a query about Fajardo possibly going to Montreal.

Antwon
01-05-2018, 09:54 PM
Just listened to his interview on TSN. I appreciate his demeanour and politeness with the reporters. Seems like a player with a proper perspective on the game and on life and I'm glad that he's on the team and hopefully he grows to be the star that everyone is hoping he becomes.

Agree 100%. The fact he commented on the long careers of Burris and Ray, perhaps he's already thinking of a long career in double blue!
I'm sold on him!

argolio
01-05-2018, 11:43 PM
This all worked out perfectly. Great job by management.

Argo57
01-06-2018, 04:16 PM
This all worked out perfectly. Great job by management.

Agreed!
At a very modest cost as well.

gilthethrill
01-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Agreed!
At a very modest cost as well.

It really was a modest cost. Lots of good looking oline prospects coming up in this year's draft.

Ron
01-06-2018, 06:59 PM
So, the trade looks great now. I also hope that if Ray comes back and starts that Trestman will have packages where Franklin comes in. Or that Ray would get a hook sooner if the offense is struggling.

jerrym
01-11-2018, 02:42 AM
I'm a little late in commenting on the trade and signing of Franklin because I've been on vacation in Asia for five weeks. However, it's great to see Popp and Trestman working to improve the long-term chances of the Argos by acquiring Franklin's rights and signing him to a contract that still apparently allows the Argos the room to bring back Ricky. Their phenomenal Argo rebuilding job over an extremely short time frame has continued into the offseason.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8