PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Argos Release DeVier Posey to pursue NFL Opportunities

1971GreyCup
02-02-2018, 05:56 PM
TWITTER: TORONTO ARGONAUTS

We've released pending FA DeVier Posey to pursue an NFL opportunity. Thank you for everything, @DPo8!

#ArgosFootball #CFL

doubleblue
02-02-2018, 07:45 PM
TWITTER: TORONTO ARGONAUTS

We've released pending FA DeVier Posey to pursue an NFL opportunity. Thank you for everything, @DPo8!

#ArgosFootball #CFL

I think he is replaceable. Has pretty good speed but I would rate him behind Green and Edwards for the best hands on the club. But good luck to DeVier he went through some tough times getting to where he is today.

ArgoGabe22
02-02-2018, 07:59 PM
Was going to be an FA anyways. Obviously would prefer to lose him to the NFL than to another CFL team.

Ron
02-02-2018, 07:59 PM
He may be replaceable but he was the right guy ... in the right place ... at the right time ... to win us that GC.

Good luck P and hope you come back if the NFL stuff doesn't pan.

Jon Gonzo
02-03-2018, 09:45 AM
That was a blast. He goes down in history as a great Argo with a couple of the most memorable moments in club history. We'll leave the lights on for yah

gilthethrill
02-03-2018, 10:17 AM
That was a blast. He goes down in history as a great Argo with a couple of the most memorable moments in club history. We'll leave the lights on for yah

That diving, late TD grab in Hamilton on September 30th to force OT....if they lose to Hamilton twice in September I doubt the team turns it around in the 2nd half of the season.

I however, do feel he will return.

Argo
02-03-2018, 11:19 AM
That diving, late TD grab in Hamilton on September 30th to force OT....if they lose to Hamilton twice in September I doubt the team turns it around in the 2nd half of the season.

I however, do feel he will return.

Replaceable, but his playmaking ability is perhaps not so easily replaced, IMO. However, if the NFL doesn't pan out, he's certainly welcome to return to the Argonauts.

Well, I've done two 180s on the "release for NFL opportunity" issue, and am now back to my original outlook: let 'em go to give it a shot.

OV Argo
02-03-2018, 12:09 PM
Replaceable, but his playmaking ability is perhaps not so easily replaced, IMO. However, if the NFL doesn't pan out, he's certainly welcome to return to the Argonauts.

Well, I've done two 180s on the "release for NFL opportunity" issue, and am now back to my original outlook: let 'em go to give it a shot.

He did put in 2 years as an Argo, and was set to become a FA anyways.

Much different than the one year, or come to our team for a cup of coffee and i'll do anything to let you go to the NFL attitude that Ego-Jones or Barker or Wally have shown.

CFL GMs who want to build a quality TEAM for several years should NOT be signing Wilder or Butler types with the accepted attitude that they are only going to give one season at most - total myopic bull$hite IMO. Avoid those types and sign younger import players who do not have NFL calling on their resumes and are willing to commit and play hard in the CFL for 2 years, minimum (i'd try for 3 year contracts, and tough $hite if no other CFL teams do that) - and then they can go on to the NFL when their CFL contract is up.

gilthethrill
02-03-2018, 12:41 PM
Brian Tyms who ended the year on the PR could be given a shot at replacing Posey, provided he is brought to camp.

AngeloV
02-03-2018, 01:21 PM
I think he is replaceable. Has pretty good speed but I would rate him behind Green and Edwards for the best hands on the club. But good luck to DeVier he went through some tough times getting to where he is today.

My opinion is that he is much higher in ranking than Edwards as far as receivers go. He missed 6 games, but was on pace for about 1200 yards, and truthfully was targeted way more at key moments than Edwards was. Edwards is good, but Posey is much better. This will be a big loss but best of luck to a really good guy.

Brian Tyms who ended the year on the PR could be given a shot at replacing Posey, provided he is brought to camp.

Great point. Completely forgot about him. He was dynamite for the Ti-Cats at the end of 2016.

Jon Gonzo
02-03-2018, 01:39 PM
I could see the 'brother-in-laws' (SJ and Tyms) signing as a combo in double blue for next season. Especially now with Ricky back. Should be soon.

Stevoman
02-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Wish him well but hope he returns in the future.

Bleeds Double Blue
02-03-2018, 08:50 PM
I'm with you on this one Gill. I was very happy when Argos picked up Tyms and don't know what Hamilton was thinking when they let him go.

gilthethrill
02-03-2018, 09:26 PM
I'm with you on this one Gill. I was very happy when Argos picked up Tyms and don't know what Hamilton was thinking when they let him go.

Much like Collaros, Tyms never had an opportunity to play under Jones offence. -

argos1873
02-03-2018, 09:31 PM
So he played out his 2 years, and then the Argos decided to let him out a bit early to try the NFL. How novel. Good luck sir. If it doesn't work out I hope you are back.

OV Argo
02-03-2018, 11:03 PM
Much like Collaros, Tyms never had an opportunity to play under Jones offence. -

I was impressed by Tyms when i saw him play for the Ticats - but small sample size - all sorts of receivers have looked good in some opportunity when they get a pile of passes thrown their way.

Nice to have plenty of competition for TC - and with need to replace Posey. Recall the pile of receivers with impressive ex-NFL resumes the Argos had in camp last year? I hope Llevi Noel gets a real look to play receiver - and he could still play his good role on special teams.

OV Argo
02-03-2018, 11:15 PM

The Ticats ended up with some strong receiver play last season after Jones came in as coach; Banks played a bigger role as a deep threat; Tasker is a very reliable receiver; ex-NFLer Saunders had a 1000 yard season; and Fantuz & Toliver (1000 yard season before) were out with injury. I can see how Tyms might not make the grade there or be the odd man out - coaching staffs will have different evaluations of talent from previous regimes. And another receiver - ex Rider Ricky Collins - ended up on the Ticats last year and did not play? - this guy really impressed me with the Riders in 2016 - if he is a forgotten man there, love to see the Argos try to get him - impressed me way more than Tyms in his CFL play - some superb catches with the Riders - but again, not a real big sample size.

IF the first 5 Ticat receivers i mentioned above are all good to go/healthy for next season - IMO the Ticats have about the best receiving corps in the CFL; Rider fans like to think their group is so good, but they don't have 5 guys with thousand yard CFL seasons; and the Esks have lost Zylstra for now.

Jon Gonzo
02-03-2018, 11:52 PM
The Ticats ended up with some strong receiver play last season after Jones came in as coach; Banks played a bigger role as a deep threat; Tasker is a very reliable receiver; ex-NFLer Saunders had a 1000 yard season; and Fantuz & Toliver (1000 yard season before) were out with injury. I can see how Tyms might not make the grade there or be the odd man out - coaching staffs will have different evaluations of talent from previous regimes. And another receiver - ex Rider Ricky Collins - ended up on the Ticats last year and did not play? - this guy really impressed me with the Riders in 2016 - if he is a forgotten man there, love to see the Argos try to get him - impressed me way more than Tyms in his CFL play - some superb catches with the Riders - but again, not a real big sample size.

IF the first 5 Ticat receivers i mentioned above are all good to go/healthy for next season - IMO the Ticats have about the best receiving corps in the CFL; Rider fans like to think their group is so good, but they don't have 5 guys with thousand yard CFL seasons; and the Esks have lost Zylstra for now.

Replacing one American Receiver is never usually very difficult. Not like replacing an entire receiving-set mid season, which is virtually impossible. Great Quarterbacking is the key. A great Quarterback can make an average receiver, an all star. Tyms will be worth a look I'm sure (if they bring him back in). Interesting to see another Receiver back who had a nice pre-season last year. Cole Watson has a chance too.

jerrym
02-03-2018, 11:55 PM
It was great having you, Devier. Good luck.

AngeloV
02-04-2018, 02:42 PM
So he played out his 2 years, and then the Argos decided to let him out a bit early to try the NFL. How novel. Good luck sir. If it doesn't work out I hope you are back.

In fairness, it's a much different situation than Wilder or even Butler. He barely played in 2016 only getting in at the end of the year. If his 2016 year was similar to the other guys in 2017, we have no idea if he would have handled it any differently that they did.

doubleblue
02-04-2018, 05:02 PM
Replacing one American Receiver is never usually very difficult. Not like replacing an entire receiving-set mid season, which is virtually impossible. Great Quarterbacking is the key. A great Quarterback can make an average receiver, an all star. Tyms will be worth a look I'm sure (if they bring him back in). Interesting to see another Receiver back who had a nice pre-season last year. Cole Watson has a chance too.

I was glad to see Watson get another chance as he had an outstanding pre-season. Don't know why he wasn't kept around on the PR, but maybe that was his decision. Not a very big guy but has some possibilities IMO, especially with Ricky Ray lobbing his rainbows.

Jon Gonzo
02-04-2018, 07:44 PM
I was glad to see Watson get another chance as he had an outstanding pre-season. Don't know why he wasn't kept around on the PR, but maybe that was his decision. Not a very big guy but has some possibilities IMO, especially with Ricky Ray lobbing his rainbows.

I believe he chose to return home to finish his degree instead of taking a PR spot.

jerrym
02-05-2018, 11:07 AM
Posey has signed with the Baltimore Ravens.
I agree that PR player Brian Tyms could help the team considering what he did in Hamilton.

doubleblue
02-19-2018, 10:21 AM
Posey has signed with the Baltimore Ravens.
I agree that PR player Brian Tyms could help the team considering what he did in Hamilton.

I see Posey's is scheduled to make $730,000 (no signing bonus) with Baltimore, if he sticks, because of having played 3 years in the League. Listed as #3 on the depth chart at one of the WR spots. With the NFL minimum at $480,000 he might lose out to a rookie. I have noticed from past history most NFL teams will pay the top two players at a position but after that generally look to find players they can pay the minimum.
If Posey can be a #2 backup on the depth chart he should be ok, but if not could be let go for a younger cheaper WR.

Another guy with CFL ties, former Hamilton/BC WR Sinkfield is scheduled to make $630,000.

One guy who has made it big in the NFL coming out of the CIS. OG Duvernay-Tardif at KC. re-signed for $3,310,000 plus a $2,000,000 signing bonus.

Former Saskatchewan LB Freeman. $3,500,000 plus $500,000 signing bonus.

jerrym
02-19-2018, 11:46 AM
I see Posey's is scheduled to make $730,000 (no signing bonus) with Baltimore, if he sticks, because of having played 3 years in the League. Listed as #3 on the depth chart at one of the WR spots. With the NFL minimum at $480,000 he might lose out to a rookie. I have noticed from past history most NFL teams will pay the top two players at a position but after that generally look to find players they can pay the minimum.
If Posey can be a #2 backup on the depth chart he should be ok, but if not could be let go for a younger cheaper WR.

Another guy with CFL ties, former Hamilton/BC WR Sinkfield is scheduled to make $630,000.

One guy who has made it big in the NFL coming out of the CIS. OG Duvernay-Tardif at KC. re-signed for $3,310,000 plus a $2,000,000 signing bonus.

I agree that Posey's salary significantly reduces his chances of making it in the NFL. Many players are gone after three years because of this.

Argo57
02-19-2018, 12:16 PM

You can see why these players want to take a shot at the NFL.

AngeloV
02-19-2018, 12:21 PM
I agree that Posey's salary significantly reduces his chances of making it in the NFL. Many players are gone after three years because of this.

Typical NFL BS politics. They increase the minimum salary in year 4, making it more difficult for a 4th year player to stick, yet players only qualify for a pension after 50 games played, which means they must play into their 4th year. Sadly, the majority of players that get their pensions are the ones that can make due without them.

Robert Drummond is a prime example of a guy that came 2 games shy of qualifying for his pension.

Argo
02-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Typical NFL BS politics. They increase the minimum salary in year 4, making it more difficult for a 4th year player to stick, yet players only qualify for a pension after 50 games played, which means they must play into their 4th year. Sadly, the majority of players that get their pensions are the ones that can make due without them.

Robert Drummond is a prime example of a guy that came 2 games shy of qualifying for his pension.

Interesting post.

Flutie
02-19-2018, 01:47 PM

Even $750k that's around $1 MILLION CDN is a significant amount, the highest income tax rate in the US kicks in at $500k but $200k in Canada.
If the average salary in Canada is $50k it would take 20 years to earn $1 million. Even a CFL player earning $100k would need 10 years to make a million.
Some of these players earning over a million are set for life even if they only play 2 or 3 season.
With the higher taxes and higher cost of living in Canada, you can't blame them for trying to get to the big prize, the NFL
Look at Wilder Jr, his family is in Tampa and he has to support them as well as living and maintaining a place in Toronto.
Sitting out one year is the right thing for him to do.

ArgoGabe22
02-19-2018, 02:03 PM

Same goes for Chris Schultz. IIRC he was one game away.

doubleblue
02-19-2018, 04:06 PM
Same goes for Chris Schultz. IIRC he was one game away.

Wow, I had never heard that before. I miss Shultzie on the panel.

ArgoGabe22
02-19-2018, 05:21 PM
Wow, I had never heard that before. I miss Shultzie on the panel.

I might be wrong about the amount of games left but Jim Popp mentioned that Schultz was only a game or two away from his pension and got cut right before achieving it.

ArgoRavi
02-20-2018, 01:00 AM
Even $750k that's around $1 MILLION CDN is a significant amount, the highest income tax rate in the US kicks in at $500k but $200k in Canada.
If the average salary in Canada is $50k it would take 20 years to earn $1 million. Even a CFL player earning $100k would need 10 years to make a million.
Some of these players earning over a million are set for life even if they only play 2 or 3 season.
With the higher taxes and higher cost of living in Canada, you can't blame them for trying to get to the big prize, the NFL
Look at Wilder Jr, his family is in Tampa and he has to support them as well as living and maintaining a place in Toronto.
Sitting out one year is the right thing for him to do.

I disagree. I think that Wilder will be killing any NFL shot that he has if he sits out this season. He would be 27 next year and will have started a half dozen professional football games in three years. It wasn't like there was a lineup in the NFL for Wilder's services coming into the 2017 season either.

DoubleBlue_Red
02-20-2018, 09:10 AM
I disagree. I think that Wilder will be killing any NFL shot that he has if he sits out this season. He would be 27 next year and will have started a half dozen professional football games in three years. It wasn't like there was a lineup in the NFL for Wilder's services coming into the 2017 season either.

He won't have the snot beaten out of him and his family name carries weight in NFL circles, so I guess he figures he has a got shot at getting signed if he stays in shape.

Jon Gonzo
02-20-2018, 09:34 AM
I believe he is hurting himself and his future aspirations to play in the NFL. The best course to me is to come back to Toronto and deliver on his 1,000 + 1,000 goal that he has already set, and was already training for. That would bring him a bigger signing bonus down South. I have a gut feeling that we'll see #32 in the Argo backfield this season. It's the right thing to do for both parties. Give him a few more shekels and get a solid shot at winning another Grey Cup

Flutie
02-20-2018, 05:13 PM

From what I have read about his life in Tampa, he can make more money staying there. He has a business down there and also does motivational speaking too.
It sounds like he has put his family first. Stay with them down there for a year and make a decent living and try the NFL next year.

The ideal solution is the Argos giving him a good raise instead of this "hardball" stuff about "hey you signed for minimum wage and we can't give you anymore" he was one of the main reasons why the Argos won the Grey Cup. There are Canadian "O" linemen that are making more money than him.
If he was just another average player that did nothing spectacular then I would agree, hold him to his contract or walk, but this guy was rookie of the year and he deserves more money!! It's not like this would set a precedence, he's not like the average rookie.
All the Argos have done is guarantee that he won't be back at all even if he doesn't make it with an NFL team, he would never come back to the Argos, he would sign with another CFL team for sure.
If I was working in a business and I was the main reason for the business doing well and they say to me "you can't have a raise because you signed a contract it would set a precedence" I would be out of there. In any other job you could leave even if you signed a contract accepting the wages etc, it is really unfair that he can't walk out and get employment anywhere else.

OV Argo
02-20-2018, 06:28 PM
From what I have read about his life in Tampa, he can make more money staying there. He has a business down there and also does motivational speaking too.
It sounds like he has put his family first. Stay with them down there for a year and make a decent living and try the NFL next year.

The ideal solution is the Argos giving him a good raise instead of this "hardball" stuff about "hey you signed for minimum wage and we can't give you anymore" he was one of the main reasons why the Argos won the Grey Cup. There are Canadian "O" linemen that are making more money than him.
If he was just another average player that did nothing spectacular then I would agree, hold him to his contract or walk, but this guy was rookie of the year and he deserves more money!! It's not like this would set a precedence, he's not like the average rookie.
All the Argos have done is guarantee that he won't be back at all even if he doesn't make it with an NFL team, he would never come back to the Argos, he would sign with another CFL team for sure.
If I was working in a business and I was the main reason for the business doing well and they say to me "you can't have a raise because you signed a contract it would set a precedence" I would be out of there. In any other job you could leave even if you signed a contract accepting the wages etc, it is really unfair that he can't walk out and get employment anywhere else.

He might have got a decent raise if he had kept his big, whining mouth shut. Instead, he became a legend in his own mind, who figures he's bigger than the Argo TEAM and is some sort of superior NFL talent.

The guy had a handful of really good games for the Argos, plus made that real nice clutch catch in the East Final winning drive; he also did littl;e in some other games; he's also vastly over-rated by some here IMO; his ultra weak 7 carries for 15 yards in the GC game can easily be replaced. "Main reason" my @r$e.

gilthethrill
02-20-2018, 06:36 PM

Thing is though Wilder never asked the Argos for more money.

Argo57
02-20-2018, 06:41 PM
He won't have the snot beaten out of him and his family name carries weight in NFL circles, so I guess he figures he has a got shot at getting signed if he stays in shape.

Except for the fact Wilder has already had a couple of chances in the NFL and didn’t stick.

Argo57
02-20-2018, 06:49 PM
He might have got a decent raise if he had kept his big, whining mouth shut. Instead, he became a legend in his own mind, who figures he's bigger than the Argo TEAM and is some sort of superior NFL talent.

The guy had a handful of really good games for the Argos, plus made that real nice clutch catch in the East Final winning drive; he also did littl;e in some other games; he's also vastly over-rated by some here IMO; his ultra weak 7 carries for 15 yards in the GC game can easily be replaced. "Main reason" my @r$e.

I think your summary is dead on OV.
When he started pleading his case through social media right after declaring he wanted to gain 1000 +1000 yards in 2018 in Toronto he lost credibility with me.
Which Wilder do we believe?

AngeloV
02-20-2018, 06:58 PM
I think your summary is dead on OV.

I disagree. Without him and his "handful" of good games, Argos may have missed the playoffs, let alone win the Grey Cup.

Argo57
02-20-2018, 07:23 PM
I disagree. Without him and his "handful" of good games, Argos may have missed the playoffs, let alone win the Grey Cup.

He undeniably did play well and seemed like a great team player unfortunately his off season negotiation methods and social media sympathy campaign say otherwise.
I suspect he may have already received a raise for 2018 if he had handled things differently but who knows.

doubleblue
02-20-2018, 10:28 PM

I agree with you 100%.

Will
02-21-2018, 11:07 AM

The Argos were, I believe, 4-7 when the decision was made to make Wilder the primary RB. The team went 5-2 down the stretch and he was injured for one of those losses. He obviously wasn't responsible for all of that, but I don't think you can deny the impact he had.

And, no R.J this does not mean I'm declaring him a legend.

ArgoZ
02-21-2018, 12:23 PM
I agree with you 100%.

On the surface and with unproven allegations, Flutie’s (Argofans member) statement sounds reasonable, BUT it’s not that cut and dry as Wilder would like you to believe and a lot more complicated. The Argos claim to not have had any talks of renegotiation with Wilder. So who’s lying? If it’s Wilder, and common sense says it is, is not a good start leading off your case with a lie. Wilder is aloud to quit and work any job, like he currently is, just not the NFL, who honours CFL contracts. It’s not that different from other pro sports. A soccer player can not quit and play for another team or another league. It’s unfamiliar to most North American leagues, because they are usually the top and players rarely leave for a lesser league. I remember all the controversy when Ismail came here.

Wilder had a huge impact on this team, but I would say luck was the most major factor to winning the Grey Cup, then Ricky Ray.

R.J
02-21-2018, 12:52 PM
Aside from one big catch in the East Final, I thought Wilder was non existent in the playoffs. Everyone is replaceable.

Will
02-21-2018, 01:19 PM
Aside from one big catch in the East Final, I thought Wilder was non existent in the playoffs. Everyone is replaceable.

On that you are correct.

paulwoods13
02-21-2018, 02:16 PM
He never threw any blocks to protect Ricky from pass rushers? Hmmm.

jerrym
02-21-2018, 03:06 PM
The Argos were, I believe, 4-7 when the decision was made to make Wilder the primary RB. The team went 5-2 down the stretch and he was injured for one of those losses. He obviously wasn't responsible for all of that, but I don't think you can deny the impact he had.

And, no R.J this does not mean I'm declaring him a legend.

http://www.argofans.com/styles/nexus/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by R.J

One of the big factors in the turnaround is that once other team's saw the damage Wilder could do as a runner, they no longer could pin back their ears and salivate at the prospect of going all out to pressure or sack Ray. In the Eastern Final when the Riders were keying on him, it helped Ricky go 28/39. In addition, Wilder gained 104 yards, 14/52 on the ground and 8/52 receiving, so while not record-setting nor even typical of his earlier performances, it was certainly not nothing.

AngeloV
02-21-2018, 03:48 PM

You don't get stats on pass protection Paul. What's the matter with you? LOL.

ArgoRavi
02-21-2018, 05:15 PM

His family name didn't carry much weight before he signed with the Argos though. He had exhausted his NFL options at that point. I don't see a half-dozen CFL games over two years changing a lot of minds down there.

OV Argo
02-21-2018, 06:53 PM

I'd say he is maybe average at best as a pass blocking back.

R.J
02-21-2018, 08:12 PM
I'd say he is maybe average at best as a pass blocking back.
Agreed. Personally, I think the whole blocking running back thing is talked about way too often - the vast majority of running backs are poor pass blockers IMO. Avon Cobourne was very good at it, and I've yet to see anyone at his level nowadays.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8