PDA

View Full Version : Dalton Bell gets NFL tryout

ArgoRavi
05-12-2012, 10:43 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-panthers-lock-7-013057225--nfl.html

So if Bell makes it, will Stephen Brunt consider him to be better than the likes of Calvillo, Ray, Burris and Lulay? I am going back to Brunt's comment about the top 100 QBs in pro football being in the NFL. I guess that QB who started a few games with KC last year after not making fourth string in Montreal is also better than those aforementioned QBs now.

gilthethrill
05-12-2012, 12:17 PM
That 4 interception 2nd half Dalton had at home against B.C. last season must have earned him that NFL tryout.

KCargosfan
05-12-2012, 01:09 PM
I think this is the key sentence: "The Panthers' three-day camp will feature only rookies and first-year players"

Kind of sounds like they just needed some QBs to throw balls. It's amazing some of the QBs that hang around the NFL. Tyler Palko was simply awful. The Chiefs 3rd stringer is Ricky Stanzi, who it could be argued might be the worst QB in the history of the NFL if he couldn't beat out Palko.

1argoholic
05-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I feel sorry for the rookie receivers trying to make an impression with that stiff attemping to complete a pass.

Argocister
05-12-2012, 07:10 PM
When Dalton goes to this camp, I take it he's getting paid....... More than he would have earned in the
CFL?
Yep, Brunts comments have to include him. Last year he would've been number 120, now he's 100 ?

:hmmmm:

matchuk
05-12-2012, 08:42 PM
i still cant stop laughing at the title of this thread

jerrym
05-13-2012, 01:28 AM
I match your laughter and double it.

Invader
05-13-2012, 02:44 PM
The NFL game is designed for dropback robotic QB's, so Bell might do very well down there.

CFL QB's need a unique skillset, not only having a strong arm, but having the acute ability to "sense the rush" and throw accurately on the dead run. Having "eyes in the back or your head" like D. Flutie (or W. Gretzky who probably would have made a great QB) is the greatest asset for a CFL QB, IMNSHO.

p.s. Does Brunt really believe that every 3rd-string NFL QB is better than A. Cavillo or T. Lulay? I doubt the NFL braintrust is that perfect in their player evaluation to never make mistakes. For example, cutting Cam Wake without giving him one opportunity to rush the passer in practice. By Brunt's rationale, every NFL OLB, even the backups, were better than Wake when he was in the CFL.

KCargosfan
05-13-2012, 04:41 PM
The NFL game is designed for dropback robotic QB's, so Bell might do very well down there.

I doubt it. If he gets a training camp invite I will be surprised.

AngeloV
05-13-2012, 05:34 PM

How out of touch are you? Aaron Rogers is anything but a "drop back. Robotic QB". I won't even get into Mike Vick or Cam Newton. Do they throw a lot out of the pocket?Of course, but so does every QB in the CFL. Bell has no hope of making it down there.

OV Argo
05-13-2012, 06:23 PM
How out of touch are you? Aaron Rogers is anything but a "drop back. Robotic QB". I won't even get into Mike Vick or Cam Newton. Do they throw a lot out of the pocket?Of course, but so does every QB in the CFL. Bell has no hope of making it down there.

Maybe Bell has little chance; but that stiff Palko i saw playing for the Chiefs last year was probably no better (and he didn't make 3rd string for the Als); "making it" in the allmighty NFL is sometimes a matter of timing or fitting in with a specific team when they have a need, and/or having a key decision maker - a coach, a GM, a head scout - liking you / in your corner. Of course though, some dupes like Brunt or others who think they are football experts of some sort, will believe it's all just a matter of "talent" - as if that was some easy to determine objective thing.

argotom
05-13-2012, 09:29 PM
No chance whatsoever, not even in the UFL which has no team or league that's how bad he was last year with us.

AngeloV
05-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Maybe Bell has little chance; but that stiff Palko i saw playing for the Chiefs last year was probably no better (and he didn't make 3rd string for the Als); "making it" in the allmighty NFL is sometimes a matter of timing or fitting in with a specific team when they have a need, and/or having a key decision maker - a coach, a GM, a head scout - liking you / in your corner. Of course though, some dupes like Brunt or others who think they are football experts of some sort, will believe it's all just a matter of "talent" - as if that was some easy to determine objective thing.

I agree with everything you said here. Timing is everything. There are a lot of NFL QB's that wouldn't make a CFL roster. There are a lot of NFL LB's that wouldn't make it in the CFL at their positions either. I was just pointing out that to say every NFL QB is a robotic pocket passer in simply not true.

ArgoRavi
05-13-2012, 11:40 PM

Well said, OV! To tie this back to our Canadian QB discussion, I heard Eric Tillman say recently how Canadian QB Giulio Caravatta beat out Trent Green for the third string job in B.C. in the mid 1990s. Tillman said that Caravatta was a good QB who just happened to have two outstanding QBs in Kent Austin and Danny McManus ahead of him. Green went on to some success in the NFL.

KCargosfan
05-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Well said, OV! To tie this back to our Canadian QB discussion, I heard Eric Tillman say recently how Canadian QB Giulio Caravatta beat out Trent Green for the third string job in B.C. in the mid 1990s. Tillman said that Caravatta was a good QB who just happened to have two outstanding QBs in Kent Austin and Danny McManus ahead of him. Green went on to some success in the NFL.

In fairness to Green, he was in the CFL for roughly a month.

Maybe Bell has little chance; but that stiff Palko i saw playing for the Chiefs last year was probably no better (and he didn't make 3rd string for the Als); "making it" in the allmighty NFL is sometimes a matter of timing or fitting in with a specific team when they have a need, and/or having a key decision maker - a coach, a GM, a head scout - liking you / in your corner.

Whoever on the Chefs thought it was a good idea to bring Palko in should be fired immediately. Anyways, he is likely out of football for good now after some awful performances.

argolio
05-14-2012, 12:28 AM
In fairness to Green, he was in the CFL for roughly a month.Some guys are lucky to have even that much of a shot in either league. Being in the right place at the right time is often more art than science.

KCargosfan
05-14-2012, 01:03 AM
Some guys are lucky to have even that much of a shot in either league. Being in the right place at the right time is often more art than science.

Definitely agree.

Nob
05-14-2012, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=argolio;7038]Some guys are lucky to have even that much of a shot in either league. Being in the right place at the right time is often more art than science.[/

I give you Exhibit A: Lemon, Cleo.

'Nuff said.

OV Argo
05-14-2012, 09:42 PM
I agree with everything you said here. Timing is everything. There are a lot of NFL QB's that wouldn't make a CFL roster. There are a lot of NFL LB's that wouldn't make it in the CFL at their positions either. I was just pointing out that to say every NFL QB is a robotic pocket passer in simply not true.

And I agree with you AV; a lot of CFL fans are pi$$ed at our league getting run down by wannabes and so sometimes seem to want to make up for it by dissing the NFL; - there are a lot of great QBs in the NFL obviously and they're not all big immobile slugs; Aaron Rodgers is a superb QB talent who would be a star in any brand of football; and even the big, slow types like Manning or Brady could easily, IMO, light up the CFL with their pure QB/passing skills; a whole slew of NFL back-up QBs could probably be very good CFL QBs too IMO; however - the point is (that you get) - that not ALL NFL QBs are automatically better than ALL CFL QBs, just by virtue of being on an NFL roster; and also, IMO, a good number of CFL QBs could easily make NFL rosters and some could be solid starters there - IF - the situation was right, OR, IF some NFL super-expert ignoramus types paid a bit more attention to CFL play and the guys who are demonstrating superb football skills up here (however - i'm quite good with those ignoramuses showing little respect for top CFL players, cause that means we continue to get to see them play up here).

Midnight Blue
05-15-2012, 02:34 AM
He's tanned, he's rested, and he's ready.

http://marketplace.regent-college.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/photo-EPM-outdoors-Nov-2006-e1323460555746.jpg

Preston Manning.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8