PDA

View Full Version : Wilder extends

Will
03-03-2018, 11:44 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: We&#39;ve signed <a href="https://twitter.com/IAm_Wilder32?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@IAm_Wilder32</a> to a two-year extension through 2019. ✍️<br><br>🗞» <a href="https://t.co/q89n8IeReC">https://t.co/q89n8IeReC</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ArgosFootball?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ArgosFootball</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CFL</a> <a href="https://t.co/DDCnfnlCvf">pic.twitter.com/DDCnfnlCvf</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/969976196413960192?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 3, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will
03-03-2018, 11:47 AM
I was dead wrong on him not returning.

Argo57
03-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Damn shame negotiation had to be handled publicly as they were, calling into question the Argonauts organizational integrity.
I should be excited at this news but TBH I have mixed feeling right now.
Given time to heal my mental scars I may rise out of my seat and cheer when he scores a TD in 2018.....we’ll see?

Will
03-03-2018, 11:59 AM
Terry Greer held out prior to the 1982 season from what I understand. I'm sure all was forgiven fairly quickly!

paulwoods13
03-03-2018, 12:00 PM
I don't think this calls into question the org's integrity in the slightest. Both the current and former GM said no promise of release had been made. The likelihood that they would lie about that is IMO much lower than the likelihood that Wilder either did not understand the two-year commitment when be signed, or he understood but had second thoughts after developing the way he did.

In any case, this played out as it needed to -- the org offered a sizeable raise with the quid pro quo of an extension. Good job by all concerned to sort this out.

Aces
03-03-2018, 12:02 PM
GREAT NEWS FOR THE ARGOS and us fans. Very surprised and happy with this decision.

Go Argos Go.

Will
03-03-2018, 12:02 PM
To be clear, wasn't it only Butler who said the Argos promised to release him?

R.J
03-03-2018, 12:08 PM
I wonder if his legend will still grow ?

Will
03-03-2018, 12:10 PM

Perhaps to the point where he'll actually become a legend?

R.J
03-03-2018, 12:11 PM
Perhaps to the point where he'll actually become a legend?
I'm interested to see if Wilder is as good as some seem to think he is around here.

rdavies
03-03-2018, 12:20 PM
I'm interested to see if Wilder is as good as some seem to think he is around here.Yup

argolio
03-03-2018, 12:21 PM
Always thought he'd be back. My only surprise is that his contract was settled barely a month after this started instead of right before or during camp.

Stevoman
03-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Glad he's come back and happy with the way the Argos have handled the situation. Ahhh social media...20 years ago all we'd have heard about was the extension.

Scooter McCray
03-03-2018, 12:29 PM
This has been a much better off season. Now the org can market this team well ahead of the season. On offence we are only minus Posey. Sell some tickets MLSE.

OV Argo
03-03-2018, 12:35 PM
I'm interested to see if Wilder is as good as some seem to think he is around here.

No doubt about the talent he flashed last season; doing it over a full season is another matter and that's what a great back will show.

Hopefully he keeps his whining yap shut and works hard to be a big part of the TEAM; and not some kind of distraction.

Argo57
03-03-2018, 12:37 PM
I don't think this calls into question the org's integrity in the slightest. Both the current and former GM said no promise of release had been made. The likelihood that they would lie about that is IMO much lower than the likelihood that Wilder either did not understand the two-year commitment when be signed, or he understood but had second thoughts after developing the way he did.

In any case, this played out as it needed to -- the org offered a sizeable raise with the quid pro quo of an extension. Good job by all concerned to sort this out.

The organizations integrity was called into question with the accusations that promises were not kept, as I’ve stated several times Popp and Barker would not be successful GM’s if they weren’t men of impeccable integrity.
The fact Wilder has re-signed is proof of this.
Well handled by Jim Popp who has had a marvellous off season IMO.

Wobbler
03-03-2018, 12:40 PM
I'm very glad to have him back, and I think his raising the issues of the 2y minimum contract and the challenges of living in an expensive city (with minimal team support) was healthy and perhaps even brave. Hopefully the CFLPA was paying attention.

Argo57
03-03-2018, 12:43 PM
No doubt about the talent he flashed last season; doing it over a full season is another matter and that's what a great back will show.

Hopefully he keeps his whining yap shut and works hard to be a big part of the TEAM; and not some kind of distraction.

I share your sentiments on this OV.

ArgoGabe22
03-03-2018, 01:13 PM

I think that you think that there are more people who see Wilder as a “legend” than there actually are. And a legend is a stretch. Nobody ever said that and I don’t get your constant remarks - legend, number retired, etc. Same goes go Kackert and Fajardo. But you can’t actually deny he was an upgrade over Whitaker. Do you actually like anyone on this roster or are you just always a Debbie downer to everything?

R.J
03-03-2018, 01:32 PM

A great back ?
Let's see what Wilder does over a full season.

I think that you think that there are more people who see Wilder as a “legend” than there actually are. And a legend is a stretch. Nobody ever said that and I don’t get your constant remarks - legend, number retired, etc. Same goes go Kackert and Fajardo. But you can’t actually deny he was an upgrade over Whitaker. Do you actually like anyone on this roster or are you just always a Debbie downer to everything?
As I recall it, I said Whitaker was done, took a lot of heat for it as well IIRC. So yeah, I think Wilder is an upgrade, just nowhere near as amazing as some make him out to be. For some reason some view Kackert and Wilder in the same light as someone like Flutie, and it boggles my mind.

I'm not a kool aid drinker, I get that there's passion and attachment around here, but losing objectivity and being blind aren't necessary IMO.

bluto
03-03-2018, 01:42 PM
Never doubted this precise outcome.

Also no doubt over his release next January.

AngeloV
03-03-2018, 01:45 PM
I think this forum should re-name February to over-reaction month. 😂😂😂

ArgoGabe22
03-03-2018, 01:51 PM
Never doubted this precise outcome.

Also no doubt over his release next January.

I was thinking the same thing. No guarantees he will be back in 2019 if a side deal was negotiated again.

ArgoGabe22
03-03-2018, 01:54 PM
A great back ?
Let's see what Wilder does over a full season.

As I recall it, I said Whitaker was done, took a lot of heat for it as well IIRC. So yeah, I think Wilder is an upgrade, just nowhere near as amazing as some make him out to be. For some reason some view Kackert and Wilder in the same light as someone like Flutie, and it boggles my mind.

I'm not a kool aid drinker, I get that there's passion and attachment around here, but losing objectivity and being blind aren't necessary IMO.

Where was it ever said that Wilder and Kackert are in same light as Flutie? I think you like to play this game as always being the “anti guy” like you were with Ray and Milanovich. I’m glad Ray proved you wrong and hoping Wilder will too.

AngeloV
03-03-2018, 02:06 PM

Says the guy that claims he only had 4 good games last year. Including playoffs, started 9 games and had over 100 yards from scrimmage in 7 of them. I don’t recall an Argo back doing that type of thing since Robert Drummond.

R.J
03-03-2018, 02:27 PM
Where was it ever said that Wilder and Kackert are in same light as Flutie? I think you like to play this game as always being the “anti guy” like you were with Ray and Milanovich. I’m glad Ray proved you wrong and hoping Wilder will too.
I still feel the same about Milanovich, I don't think there was anyone happier to see him go to the NFL, and I wish him nothing but success. The longer he's there, the longer I never have to see him step foot in our league. As for Ray, I still feel pretty much the same about him overall, he wasn't done last year and I'm happy for him, but I still think he's nearing the end. I'll leave it at that because I'd rather not be disrespectful to him any longer. I'm hoping Wilder proves me wrong as well.............. how else will his jersey get retired ?

Says the guy that claims he only had 4 good games last year. Including playoffs, started 9 games and had over 100 yards from scrimmage in 7 of them. I don’t recall an Argo back doing that type of thing since Robert Drummond.
Angelo, you know me well enough around here to know what a running back is to me. Receiving out of the backfield is not what I'd call a top running back, and Wilder was inconsistent in the run game. Most of his yards came on something like 4 or 5 massive runs, again he reminds me of a bigger Chevon Walker. I also don't think he's a elite blocker, mid range right now who could get better with time, but nowhere near the elite blocker that some make him out to be. People should watch CJ Gable in a game, when healthy that's what I'd call an elite all round back.

gilthethrill
03-03-2018, 02:53 PM
Good news for everyone. Wilder should have a huge year. Argos win the East again.

Argo
03-03-2018, 03:12 PM
I'm very glad to have him back, and I think his raising the issues of the 2y minimum contract and the challenges of living in an expensive city (with minimal team support) was healthy and perhaps even brave. Hopefully the CFLPA was paying attention.

Agree on all points.

Saugonaut
03-03-2018, 03:41 PM
So houses coming on the market in my neighborhood in Sauga, JWJr and I could car share to BMO!

dmont
03-03-2018, 03:45 PM

Very surprised by this outcome.

If he was willing to play for more money in the cfl, what was the point of all this? He didn't even try to renegotiate with Popp before going nuclear all over social media. Why not at least ATTEMPT to renegotiate in private?

Here's what I think: Wilder realized he screwed up. He and his agent overreacted to an NFL kick at the tires. Thought the noise on social media would induce the Argos to release him. But, 1) Popp didn't release him, 2) NFL interest probably dried up after they realized they were breaking the agreement with the CFL and the NFL GMs hate it when a player airs dirty laundry on social media, and 3) there's a reasonable chance the NFL window will be brought back in the next CBA. When Popp reached out with a reasonable extension offer, Wilder jumped for it.

While I think way better of Wilder than I do Butler, I think taking to social media was a very poor move that ultimately hurt his shot at returning to the NFL. Perhaps some good will come of it in terms of his case's impact on the CBA and the commissioner cracking down on side deals, but I don't believe that was his intent. I hope he plays lights out and this all becomes a bad memory.

Saugonaut
03-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Social media is tough for atheletes, it's like having a reporter in your pocket at all times. Stroman aired some Jays dirty laungry last week too, it's human nature to get mad when money discussions don't go the way you like. But unlike most people tweeting about their employers, these guys get a spot on Sports Centre.

It is what it is.

Scooter McCray
03-03-2018, 03:52 PM
I think this forum should re-name February to over-reaction month. 😂😂😂Last February was a $#it show. Had Copeland not fallen backwards into both Popp and Trestman (only blind luck they were both available) the very future of this franchise might be in question today. This February 180 degrees better. I think MLSE can make thus team and it's players household names if they commit their big blue machine behind the Argos.

R.J
03-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Perhaps some good will come of it in terms of his case's impact on the CBA and the commissioner cracking down on side deals
I'm hoping for this as well. I believe there was a vote on the NFL window not too long ago and it got nixed. I can't recall whom, but either Naylor or Lalji reported that some GM's think leaving it out benefits them as an unfair advantage, since not all teams do it, they can promise players they will release them when an opportunity arises, or something along those lines. I'm hoping at the very least Ambrosie comes down with an iron fist on this, and if GM's don't want the NFL window back, then they have to give something else in return, whatever that may be. Players have been getting screwed over for too long IMO, not only are football ops ballooning, but even football ops salaries have risen, Eg. Matthews made around $300k a year when he was here, Trestman reportedly makes around $600k, and as another example: starting QB's make around the same as they did in the early 90's. Coaches and GM's can also leave as they please should an opportunity come forward, and yet the players can't do the same ? Something's wrong here.

R.J
03-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Last February was a $#it show. Had Copeland not fallen backwards into both Popp and Trestman (only blind luck they were both available) the very future of this franchise might be in question today. This February 180 degrees better. I think MLSE can make thus team and it's players household names if they commit their big blue machine behind the Argos.
Can you imagine if Barker and Milanovich were still here ?

OV Argo
03-03-2018, 04:39 PM
I still feel the same about Milanovich, I don't think there was anyone happier to see him go to the NFL, and I wish him nothing but success. The longer he's there, the longer I never have to see him step foot in our league. As for Ray, I still feel pretty much the same about him overall, he wasn't done last year and I'm happy for him, but I still think he's nearing the end. I'll leave it at that because I'd rather not be disrespectful to him any longer. I'm hoping Wilder proves me wrong as well.............. how else will his jersey get retired ?

Angelo, you know me well enough around here to know what a running back is to me. Receiving out of the backfield is not what I'd call a top running back, and Wilder was inconsistent in the run game. Most of his yards came on something like 4 or 5 massive runs, again he reminds me of a bigger Chevon Walker. I also don't think he's a elite blocker, mid range right now who could get better with time, but nowhere near the elite blocker that some make him out to be. People should watch CJ Gable in a game, when healthy that's what I'd call an elite all round back.

CJ Gable ? - you must be joking? Guy is as mediocre as it gets for a CFL RB, and his supposed great blocking skills are way over-rated and probably imagined by his ex-coach Austin. You want half decent at ball carrying, receiving and blocking out of a back - then Gable is your guy. Wonder why June Jones and the obviously improved Ticat offence did not want to keep this star RB Gable as a big part of their offence ?

macspectrum
03-03-2018, 04:47 PM

attachment from wilder's twitter feed

doubleblue
03-03-2018, 04:49 PM
Randy Ambrosie (Sargent Shultz) was saying the other day something about how he would like to see more Players getting off season jobs. Don't think he put any restrictions on who they could "work" for. Then JW quickly extends.
But I hear nothing, know nothing, see nothing. I'm just glad James is back and ready to roll.

macspectrum
03-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Good news for everyone. Wilder should have a huge year. Argos win the East again.

yup wholeheartedly agree
i think they will make it to GC game - don't know if they will win

tey now need 2 big body receivers to help sj green

macspectrum
03-03-2018, 04:54 PM
who pays the remaining contract if the player gets hurt at that part time job ?
part time jo is a silly idea in my opinion

jerrym
03-03-2018, 04:55 PM
I'm surprised but happy.

AngeloV
03-03-2018, 05:06 PM
attachment from wilder's twitter feed

You don't have to convince me. Argos offence was struggling large until they put him in as the starter. Again, I will mention how they scored 1 offensive TD in 2 regular season losses to Calgary and couldn't move the ball in either game. The threat of Wider's explosiveness opened up the Argos passing game in the Grey Cup.

Last February was a $#it show. Had Copeland not fallen backwards into both Popp and Trestman (only blind luck they were both available) the very future of this franchise might be in question today. This February 180 degrees better. I think MLSE can make thus team and it's players household names if they commit their big blue machine behind the Argos.

Sorry, I have seen teams in this league turn things around overnight far to often to panic in February.

ArgoRavi
03-03-2018, 06:58 PM
This has been a much better off season. Now the org can market this team well ahead of the season. On offence we are only minus Posey. Sell some tickets MLSE.

Hopefully Wilder can still get an invitation to the upcoming CFL Week in Winnipeg.

ArgoRavi
03-03-2018, 07:01 PM
I was thinking the same thing. No guarantees he will be back in 2019 if a side deal was negotiated again.

Has the CFL not made it clear that side deals are not allowed? The new CBA doesn't get negotiated until the spring of 2019 so there won't be any change before then.

ArgoGabe22
03-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Has the CFL not made it clear that side deals are not allowed? The new CBA doesn't get negotiated until the spring of 2019 so there won't be any change before then.

I don't think the fine is really a deterrent. But did Wilder really get any NFL interest or was it all a bluff? I'm sure a team would give him a camp invite but nothing concrete. IIRC Khalif Mitchell was released from Argos because of "NFL interest" but signed with the BC Lions almost immediately. I always was suspicious of that. So I don't even know if there was any interest with Wilder.

Jon Gonzo
03-04-2018, 02:22 PM
Best for both parties, and not surprising given the circumstances. Looking forward to a big year. He is the type of back who brings a dynamic that challenges Defenses, even when he isn't putting up stats. The team looks good!

Tobin Rote
03-04-2018, 02:51 PM

... and Drummond is perhaps the best comparison to be made based on the way JWJ played in the 2nd half of last season. He was dominant in a way that's rarely been seen around here.

OV Argo
03-04-2018, 04:04 PM
... and Drummond is perhaps the best comparison to be made based on the way JWJ played in the 2nd half of last season. He was dominant in a way that's rarely been seen around here.

Wilder similar to Drummond in both big, tall backs with some breakaway speed - able to bust big gainers - and that is a great thing to have and not that common in the CFL these days (Leon McQuay was arguably the scariest Argo back in that department - IMO probably the best speed/explosiveness package); post Drummond though - Mike Jenkins had 1484 rushing yards + 361 receiving yards (1,845 yards from scrimmage !), plus scored 13 TDs in 2001; Jenkins was a very different style back though - short, powerful and hard to find and bring down between the tackles = love that kinda back too, but Jenkins was not near the big gainer threat.

We'll see if Wilder can put up 1500 + yards from scrimmage this season, plus continue to break big gainers (that lead to a gaudy, sensational yards/carry average) - not many backs can show that in a full season of work (Jesse Lumsden put up a 7+ yards/carry season with the Ticats a number of years back but it was not full season either).

Argo
03-04-2018, 06:12 PM
Wilder should have been given a signing bonus (yes, it's a new contract, he deserves it, and it would've been a significant confirmation of good faith and relationship sweetener). IMO.

KCargosfan
03-04-2018, 07:01 PM
Have we seen a salary number anywhere?

If not, would we think this is a $105K per-year deal?

Wobbler
03-04-2018, 07:39 PM
Dunk claims that it is "around $100K" (http://3downnation.com/2018/03/01/what-the-argos-are-offering-james-wilder-jr/). So yes.

ArgoGabe22
03-05-2018, 12:41 AM
Dunk claims that it is "around $100K" (http://3downnation.com/2018/03/01/what-the-argos-are-offering-james-wilder-jr/). So yes.

Think Naylor broke the story first. Just saying....lol

Wobbler
03-05-2018, 02:38 AM
I don't remember an actual number from Naylor, though.

AngeloV
03-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Think Naylor broke the story first. Just saying....lol

Stop with your negativity towards most things 3DN. Oh wait, that would be me.

:D

R.J
03-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Stop with your negativity towards most things 3DN. Oh wait, that would be me.

:DOne would think the Manziel stories would stop up here, but........
http://3downnation.com/2018/03/04/johnny-manziels-ex-girlfriend-say-lucky-survived/

If 3DN was supposed to be the go to for CFL fans, Edwards has failed miserably IMO. It's laughable what they've become.

bluto
03-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Wilder should have been given a signing bonus (yes, it's a new contract, he deserves it, and it would've been a significant confirmation of good faith and relationship sweetener). IMO.

I would be calling for a Catscan for Popp if he'd given one. I was pretty firmly on the Wilder-has-a-right-to-holdout side of this thing... but it was only insofar as both sides would advocate for their own best interests and meet in the middle where those interests intersect. The Argos committing money up front to a want-away player is just a bad idea.

The way I see it,Wilder stands to make $135k this season. Let us all hope he gets every last penny of it.

AngeloV
03-05-2018, 02:18 PM
I would be calling for a Catscan for Popp if he'd given one. I was pretty firmly on the Wilder-has-a-right-to-holdout side of this thing... but it was only insofar as both sides would advocate for their own best interests and meet in the middle where those interests intersect. The Argos committing money up front to a want-away player is just a bad idea.

The way I see it,Wilder stands to make $135k this season. Let us all hope he gets every last penny of it.

I'm all for a bonus, just not at the time of signing. I think teams should structure bonus money to be paid at season's end, based on whatever performances they can agree on. Whether that be stats based, games played, or team victories (my favourite :) ). This would stop teams from cutting players before a pre-season bonus is due, and also stop players from taking a pre-season bonus and then retiring.

KCargosfan
03-09-2018, 02:52 AM
Can someone give me an idea of what a decent wage would be in Toronto to live a comfortable lifestyle that a CFL player would want?

Let's say a 1-bedroom apartment in a decent part of town that if you're lucky you can rent from June 1-Nov. 30. Let's say slightly above average bills for eating/food (team covers health care, I'm assuming?).

$60K Canadian? $70K Canadian?

I know as a big city, Toronto is expensive but I don't have the slightest idea how much you would need in a contract for that lifestyle, then to move back to the States from Dec. through mid-May and not work (or work part-time as an Uber driver, sub. teacher, server, etc. Not saying you would have to move back to the States, but I'm under the impression most American players do)

R.J
03-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Can someone give me an idea of what a decent wage would be in Toronto to live a comfortable lifestyle that a CFL player would want?

Let's say a 1-bedroom apartment in a decent part of town that if you're lucky you can rent from June 1-Nov. 30. Let's say slightly above average bills for eating/food (team covers health care, I'm assuming?).

I know as a big city, Toronto is expensive but I don't have the slightest idea how much you would need in a contract for that lifestyle, then to move back to the States from Dec. through mid-May and not work (or work part-time as an Uber driver, sub. teacher, server, etc. Not saying you would have to move back to the States, but I'm under the impression most American players do)
If it's just one person $50k is livable, but your struggling. The problem is, Wilder has 4 kids at the age of 25, which isn't the teams problem.

Shatto
03-09-2018, 10:42 PM
It was good to see Wilder at the Toronto combine today. He and Lemon did not seem to be there for any photo ops but appeared to be enjoying watching the one on ones and mingling with the participants.

Talking about the combine, IMO the most impressive player going through to the National Combine, was OL Sam MacMillan, good size at about 6'2' and 290. He was a real monster in the one on ones. His brother, Nolan, plays for Ottawa. Maybe Sam is following in his brother's footsteps.

Jon Gonzo
03-10-2018, 09:46 AM
It was good to see Wilder at the Toronto combine today. He and Lemon did not seem to be there for any photo ops but appeared to be enjoying watching the one on ones and mingling with the participants.

Talking about the combine, IMO the most impressive player going through to the National Combine, was OL Sam MacMillan, good size at about 6'2' and 290. He was a real monster in the one on ones. His brother, Nolan, plays for Ottawa. Maybe Sam is following in his brother's footsteps.

Great to see them out. Even better to see them noticed. Star power is important when you're trying to sell a product, and both these guys are helping the cause.

ArgoZ
03-10-2018, 10:17 AM

That's a loaded question. It depends on the persons own comfort level, lifestyle and social group. I can imagine that some CFL players would struggle with the dealings of a professional sports players life, but not typical pay. Take last nights Raptor game for example. If the players/guests went out after the game, it would be no big deal for Giovinco ($10 million salary) to buy a $500 round, but for Wilder it would.

Back to reality for the rest of us. As long as your not pressured to drive the BMW (Toronto staple), have the downtown condo, and etc, I would say $100 000 income would be a starting point for Toronto. Now, that is usually made up of combined incomes and your dollar goes further the further you move away from the core, so there is ways to get by on less. A player with family in the states could do well if he roomed with a teammate outside of the city and focused mostly on football for 6 months.

KCargosfan
03-13-2018, 02:04 AM
That's a loaded question. It depends on the persons own comfort level, lifestyle and social group. I can imagine that some CFL players would struggle with the dealings of a professional sports players life, but not typical pay. Take last nights Raptor game for example. If the players/guests went out after the game, it would be no big deal for Giovinco ($10 million salary) to buy a $500 round, but for Wilder it would.

Back to reality for the rest of us. As long as your not pressured to drive the BMW (Toronto staple), have the downtown condo, and etc, I would say $100 000 income would be a starting point for Toronto. Now, that is usually made up of combined incomes and your dollar goes further the further you move away from the core, so there is ways to get by on less. A player with family in the states could do well if he roomed with a teammate outside of the city and focused mostly on football for 6 months.

Your second paragraph was what I was getting at. I would assume most CFL players -- outside of maybe Fantuz a few years ago and all the QBs -- would realize they can't live like NHL players.

If you lived out in one of the suburbs with a roommate, would getting by on $65K be realistic?

OV Argo
03-13-2018, 10:20 AM
Your second paragraph was what I was getting at. I would assume most CFL players -- outside of maybe Fantuz a few years ago and all the QBs -- would realize they can't live like NHL players.

If you lived out in one of the suburbs with a roommate, would getting by on $65K be realistic?

If you can't get by on 65K - for 6 months work, and with a room-mate to help split cost of living = there is something very wrong with you. Sorry. Some people have to get by on a minimum wage job - which is more like 25 K a year or so.

Jon Gonzo
03-13-2018, 11:47 AM
If you can't get by on 65K - for 6 months work, and with a room-mate to help split cost of living = there is something very wrong with you. Sorry. Some people have to get by on a minimum wage job - which is more like 25 K a year or so.

I hear you, but this isn't working for a city crew here. This is a unique job that is entitled to some danger pay. I dare you to run the ball, just once, at Training Camp. (;

OV Argo
03-13-2018, 12:34 PM
I hear you, but this isn't working for a city crew here. This is a unique job that is entitled to some danger pay. I dare you to run the ball, just once, at Training Camp. (;

I was answering - IMO - about wether a person could "get by" on 65K these days (in Ontario/TO anyways); agreed a pro football player should earn more than that - due to skills required, plus risk of injury, for a couple of reasons. But again - 65K, for 6 months work (and with other stipends or bonus money available - average working class joes get none of that) = you can easily survive or "get by"; and you're making wayyyyyy more than a lot of people.

AngeloV
03-13-2018, 03:45 PM
I was answering - IMO - about wether a person could "get by" on 65K these days (in Ontario/TO anyways); agreed a pro football player should earn more than that - due to skills required, plus risk of injury, for a couple of reasons. But again - 65K, for 6 months work (and with other stipends or bonus money available - average working class joes get none of that) = you can easily survive or "get by"; and you're making wayyyyyy more than a lot of people.

Only think I will disagree with is the 6 months work part. If a player only works for 6 months of the year, he will not be employed the following year. Training to be a pro athlete is a 12 month job now. Not like the old days when players would work their way into shape in camp, and (I know you'll love this) were already penciled into their positions based on past reputation.

OV Argo
03-13-2018, 04:32 PM
Only think I will disagree with is the 6 months work part. If a player only works for 6 months of the year, he will not be employed the following year. Training to be a pro athlete is a 12 month job now. Not like the old days when players would work their way into shape in camp, and (I know you'll love this) were already penciled into their positions based on past reputation.

OK - so your base for a year is still 65K; and you could still work some in the off-season to make some extra coin; or choose not to so you can train lots to maintain your main job. Point is - you can easily get by on 65K a year; and it's a lot more than plenty of people make now.

Hockey players were notorious in the old days too - go to the cottage and drink beer & relax all summer, and then go to training camp and work your way back into shape (Team Canada 72 were not in shape at first to play a Russian team that trained year round). Most athletes may be way more serious about their off-season and training all the time now - doesn't mean it is a 24 hours a day / 7 days a week thing either. Guy could easily hold a part-time job in the off-season to earn some extra coin.

AngeloV
03-13-2018, 06:29 PM
OK - so your base for a year is still 65K; and you could still work some in the off-season to make some extra coin; or choose not to so you can train lots to maintain your main job. Point is - you can easily get by on 65K a year; and it's a lot more than plenty of people make now.

You must be single with no kids (as I am). I agree that a single person can get by on that amount, but 65K is not enough to support a wife and 4 kids. To support a wife and 4 kids, you're looking at 2200 a month rent. There goes more than half of your take home money off the start as you are likely looking at bringing home about 3,800 a month based based on spreading the amount out over 12 months.

OV Argo
03-13-2018, 07:02 PM
You must be single with no kids (as I am). I agree that a single person can get by on that amount, but 65K is not enough to support a wife and 4 kids. To support a wife and 4 kids, you're looking at 2200 a month rent. There goes more than half of your take home money off the start as you are likely looking at bringing home about 3,800 a month based based on spreading the amount out over 12 months.

I was originally responding to KC's question" "If you lived out in one of the suburbs with a roommate, would getting by on 65K be realistic ?" - i think the answer is clearly/easily yes.

And your wife & 4 kids could stay back home (in Florida or where-ever) where the cost of living is way cheaper than Toronto (i'd guess); So, hypothetically, the guy with a wife and 4 kids would be quite OK (he goes back home in the summer and works part-time, plus is able to keep training for his pro athlete job) - NOT going to be starving or anything like that. Sorry - I don't feel an iota sorry for or worried about a football player making 65K for 6 months work (with a chance for some play-off bonus money) and then most likely earning a raise for the next year if you are even modestly successful.

Working people up here making 14 bucks an hour minimum wage (with no cost of living raise offered by scum-bag corporate employer) - that is another story. You do realize that minimum wage in Ontario - for a full year (of maybe dreary work) pays nowhere near 65K ?

Jon Gonzo
03-14-2018, 09:05 AM

Yes, only joking. It is what it is, but I won't squawk if they get a little more in the next CBA

OV Argo
03-14-2018, 12:25 PM
Yes, only joking. It is what it is, but I won't squawk if they get a little more in the next CBA

I wish CFL players made way more money; and especially that league minimum was way more.

But I have zero sympathy for a guy whining about making 65 grand for 6 months work; if you don't appreciate that job - then beat it.

paulwoods13
03-15-2018, 10:48 AM
Can this spinoff discussion about the cost of living be moved to its own thread in some forum other than the Argos forum? I know it started as a result of Wilder's signing, but it no longer has anything to do with the original topic.

AngeloV
03-15-2018, 12:56 PM
Can this spinoff discussion about the cost of living be moved to its own thread in some forum other than the Argos forum? I know it started as a result of Wilder's signing, but it no longer has anything to do with the original topic.

I have no problem if it gets removed altogether. It got to the stupid area before I gave up on it.

Jon Gonzo
03-17-2018, 10:23 AM
I have no problem if it gets removed altogether. It got to the stupid area before I gave up on it.

May I suggest a virtual gong show? If this sites establishment doesn't like a tact that a thread is taking, they could gong it right out of here. Is Chuck Barris still alive?

AngeloV
03-17-2018, 01:15 PM
May I suggest a virtual gong show? If this sites establishment doesn't like a tact that a thread is taking, they could gong it right out of here. Is Chuck Barris still alive?

Only if we get the occasional Gene Gene the Dancing Machine pop up.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OndJp6Dcwjk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wobbler
03-17-2018, 01:26 PM
This thread would have died by now if you guys weren't posting about it...

AngeloV
03-17-2018, 05:16 PM
This thread would have died by now if you guys weren't posting about it...

Perhaps, but we're just having fun.

Argo57
03-17-2018, 05:36 PM

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OndJp6Dcwjk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jaye P Morgan👍

Jon Gonzo
03-17-2018, 07:21 PM
lol, well played

argos1873
03-17-2018, 10:33 PM
$69,000 with a wife and 2 kids in a 2 bedroom condo. Plus child support for 1 other kid. I feel James Wilder's pain, but my sympathies are thin, only because if we can do it, anyone can, and many do with less. But on the other hand, that's the reason I jumped on the chance to move to Ottawa. I'm sure people who wish this thread to die or moved to off topic, never had to worry about where they live. Its just trivial bullsh!t to them.

macspectrum
03-18-2018, 12:42 AM
$69,000 with a wife and 2 kids in a 2 bedroom condo. Plus child support for 1 other kid. I feel James Wilder's pain, but my sympathies are thin, only because if we can do it, anyone can, and many do with less. But on the other hand, that's the reason I jumped on the chance to move to Ottawa. I'm sure people who wish this thread to die or moved to off topic, never had to worry about where they live. Its just trivial bullsh!t to them.

i ask again how he supported them when he was a college players making $0

paulwoods13
03-18-2018, 09:37 AM
I'm sure people who wish this thread to die or moved to off topic, never had to worry about where they live. Its just trivial bullsh!t to them.

Suggesting the topic be spun off into its own thread does not mean I consider the topic "trivial bullshit." This is a thread about Wilder signing with the Argos, not about the cost of living. Again, I ask the mods -- is it not possible to move this stuff into a new thread and leave the Wilder thread about Wilder?

AngeloV
03-18-2018, 10:18 AM
i ask again how he supported them when he was a college players making $0

Probably getting help from his parents, but surely you don't expect that to last forever.

Wobbler
03-18-2018, 11:57 AM
I'm sure people who wish this thread to die or moved to off topic, never had to worry about where they live. Its just trivial bullsh!t to them.
Why are you sure about that?

Jon Gonzo
03-19-2018, 08:06 AM
Like any story, and any discussion that follows, it takes its own shape. Move a thread? Why? It'll move itself when people stop being interested in it.

Scooter McCray
03-19-2018, 12:41 PM
Jaye P Morgan👍She started the Federal Reserve in 1917 I think.

paulwoods13
03-19-2018, 03:03 PM
Like any story, and any discussion that follows, it takes its own shape. Move a thread? Why? It'll move itself when people stop being interested in it.

Because there are now two distinct and unrelated topics in the same thread. Some may find one but not the other interesting, and may therefore miss stuff that interests them because they give the entire thread a pass to avoid what doesn't interest them. Would it be so terrible to give each topic a life of its own?

macspectrum
03-21-2018, 11:46 PM
Probably getting help from his parents, but surely you don't expect that to last forever.

he wwas a college player for 4 yrs

AngeloV
03-22-2018, 12:10 PM
he wwas a college player for 4 yrs

Yes, that's why I said he was likely getting help from his parents. Possibly his wife's parents too.

cfl-cis fan
03-23-2018, 08:12 AM
sorry but I gotta say this ........... why is Wilder always wearing "get Wilder" and NOT ARGOS

DoubleBlue_Red
03-23-2018, 09:29 AM
sorry but I gotta say this ........... why is Wilder always wearing "get Wilder" and NOT ARGOS

Why did Manziel just launch his own 'comeback' clothing line?

Treblecharger1
03-23-2018, 09:42 AM

The Argos trademark is licensed by the League. He would have to pay a royalty in order to use the words ARGOS on the merchandise.

AngeloV
03-23-2018, 09:42 AM

Do you really have ask? Did you have a problem when Darcy Tucker would always wear clothing by Kewl as opposed to Leaf swag? Why even worry about it. Do you have an issue with him trying to make money outside of his football contract? Isn't that basically what the commissioner suggested all players do?

Wilder represents the Argos with a smile on his face whenever they ask him to, or did you miss the media blitz he did going into the home playoff game? So tired of this crap towards him. Stop taking his contract stand personally. That was business.

Jon Gonzo
03-23-2018, 09:49 AM
Do you really have ask? Did you have a problem when Darcy Tucker would always wear clothing by Kewl as opposed to Leaf swag? Why even worry about it. Do you have an issue with him trying to make money outside of his football contract? Isn't that basically what the commissioner suggested all players do?

Wilder represents the Argos with a smile on his face whenever they ask him to, or did you miss the media blitz he did going into the home playoff game? So tired of this crap towards him. Stop taking his contract stand personally. That was business.

Agreed. Believe in people as individuals. Our asses aren't owned. However, if JWJ wasn't a good team-mate then that is when a different opinion could/should be formed. Also remember (as an aside for texture); Football is not right up there with loyalty and stability. It's not like having a Gov't job.

argolio
03-24-2018, 07:24 AM
sorry but I gotta say this ........... why is Wilder always wearing "get Wilder" and NOT ARGOSWhy would he wear "NOT ARGOS"?

gilthethrill
03-24-2018, 07:31 AM
Why did Manziel just launch his own 'comeback' clothing line?

To help offset the cost of having to pay for playing in the Spring League?

gilthethrill
03-24-2018, 07:31 AM
Why would he wear "NOT ARGOS"?

Ya....why would he wear that?

argolio
03-24-2018, 07:42 AM
Ya....why would he wear that?It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma. Or however that deal goes.

KCargosfan
03-24-2018, 10:02 AM

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OndJp6Dcwjk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Thoroughly confused to what is going on in that video but seems like one hell of a party.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8