PDA

View Full Version : Argo Tryout and Mini Camps

jerrym
03-07-2018, 12:41 AM
The Argos have posted the first of their tryout and mini camps.

The Toronto Argonauts Football Club will be hosting open tryouts on the dates below. Please check back for updates to the workout schedule.
*Athletes are asked to pre-register for all open tryouts using the form below
**Athletes must bring own equipment: shorts, cleats (no track spikes), gloves, tape
**Testing: 40 Yard Dash, Broad Jump, Short Shuttle, Individual Drills & 1-on-1s
Monday, April 16IMG Academy (Rear Entrance) | 5695 Bollettieri Dr. Bradenton, FL 34210Registration starts at 8 AM EST | Workout begins at 9 AM EST
$100 (Cash Only) payable at registration

https://www.argonauts.ca/try-out-information/

Shipyard
03-07-2018, 01:45 PM
right before mini camp which starts the next day

ArgoRavi
03-07-2018, 11:06 PM
right before mini camp which starts the next day

That is coming up quickly!

jerrym
04-10-2018, 09:35 PM
The Argos now have a second tryout camp on May 5th in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Saturday, May 5Jerry Richardson Stadium (University of North Carolina at Charlotte) | 8701 Phillips Rd. Charlotte, NC 28223Registration starts at 8 AM EST | Workout begins at 9 AM EST
$100 (Cash Only) payable at registration
More information (https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2018/04/Workout_Charlotte.pdf)

gilthethrill
04-11-2018, 07:21 AM
The Argos now have a second tryout camp on May 5th in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Charlotte NC....home of the Nature Boy if I am not mistaken....this camp is a can't miss for signing several prospects...WWHHOOO!!!!

New2blue
04-16-2018, 12:03 PM
Will there be any coverage from the mini camp tomorrow?

jerrym
04-16-2018, 01:08 PM

Welcome on board. There has been some coverage in the past.

paulwoods13
04-16-2018, 02:35 PM

Given financial realities and competing priorities, I don't expect any mainstream media outlets to cover this. The Sun has sent a reporter for the past few years, but its shrinking sports section is an indicator of less money for travel, and the guy who would likely go (Zicarelli) is covering Raptors at the moment. The Star has stopped all but essential (i.e. playoff) travel by its sports reporters as a cost-saving measure. The Globe basically doesn't cover sports any more (apart from wire coverage and Cathal Kelly) and the Post uses same resources as the Sun. Broadcasters never covered this stuff in the past and certainly aren't gonna start now. If there is any coverage of the camp, I expect it will come from CFL.ca.

gilthethrill
04-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Given financial realities and competing priorities, I don't expect any mainstream media outlets to cover this. The Sun has sent a reporter for the past few years, but its shrinking sports section is an indicator of less money for travel, and the guy who would likely go (Zicarelli) is covering Raptors at the moment. The Star has stopped all but essential (i.e. playoff) travel by its sports reporters as a cost-saving measure. The Globe basically doesn't cover sports any more (apart from wire coverage and Cathal Kelly) and the Post uses same resources as the Sun. Broadcasters never covered this stuff in the past and certainly aren't gonna start now. If there is any coverage of the camp, I expect it will come from CFL.ca.

I miss Argos TV. Adam Orcio (sp) and then his successor Gareth Bush did a fine job doing game day reports etc.

New2blue
04-16-2018, 03:19 PM
Welcome on board. There has been some coverage in the past.
Thank you! Glad to be aboard!

Will
04-19-2018, 11:00 AM
There has been some mini-camp coverage:

https://www.argonauts.ca/2018/04/18/rays-rival-calvillo-now-asset-argos-mini-camp/

Plus some pictures:

https://www.argonauts.ca/gallery/2018/04/18/gallery-minicamp-2018/

Scooter McCray
04-19-2018, 01:11 PM
There has been some mini-camp coverage:

https://www.argonauts.ca/2018/04/18/rays-rival-calvillo-now-asset-argos-mini-camp/

Plus some pictures:

https://www.argonauts.ca/gallery/2018/04/18/gallery-minicamp-2018/Pictures?, pictures? Where did they find the money in the budget for a camera phone? We're moving on up in the world. Maybe next year they will have detailed illustrations. The article is written by Chris O'Leary who if I am not mistaken works for the CFL. Given the size of the roster the team have sent down to Florida and all of the coaches putting on one of these mini camps is not cheap. MLSE is spending alot to improve the team, I just wish there were some funds available to let everyone back in Toronto know how its going and who are the up and coming players to watch at training camp.

gilthethrill
04-19-2018, 02:41 PM
Pictures?, pictures? Where did they find the money in the budget for a camera phone? We're moving on up in the world. Maybe next year they will have detailed illustrations. The article is written by Chris O'Leary who if I am not mistaken works for the CFL. Given the size of the roster the team have sent down to Florida and all of the coaches putting on one of these mini camps is not cheap. MLSE is spending alot to improve the team, I just wish there were some funds available to let everyone back in Toronto know how its going and who are the up and coming players to watch at training camp.

Where did you find information on the roster size attending the camp? I would like to see that.

Will
04-19-2018, 02:48 PM
Where did you find information on the roster size attending the camp? I would like to see that.

Someone twittered it.

doubleblue
04-19-2018, 04:02 PM

My last count it looks like there are 78 players on the roster. 30 Canadians and 48 Imports. I think 75 total is the limit to go to Camp in May, so I expect there will be some more shuffling before then. I don't expect there are too many starting veterans down there right now for the mini except all the QB's.

gilthethrill
04-19-2018, 04:42 PM
My last count it looks like there are 78 players on the roster. 30 Canadians and 48 Imports. I think 75 total is the limit to go to Camp in May, so I expect there will be some more shuffling before then. I don't expect there are too many starting veterans down there right now for the mini except all the QB's.

I know Montreal has a mini camp ongoing, but yet I read only 30 were participating. Not sure if the entire Argo roster attends?

Will
04-19-2018, 04:59 PM
I know Montreal has a mini camp ongoing, but yet I read only 30 were participating. Not sure if the entire Argo roster attends?

Everybody aside from the OL and DL I think.

gilthethrill
04-19-2018, 06:01 PM
Everybody aside from the OL and DL I think.

So Victor Butler won't be required to attend??? 😂😂😂😂

jerrym
04-19-2018, 07:58 PM

There are 34 players in camp, with two more on the way. Seven of the players are QBs, suggesting they still have serious questions about their depth at QB - surprise, surprise.

Of the 34 players there on Monday, 25 are CFL rookies. GM Kavis Reed said that two more vets — receivers Chris Williams and Ernest Jackson — are expected to join the camp after they ran into flight issues and missed Monday.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/04/17/oleary-freeman-embraces-first-day-jitters-als-mini-camp-opens/

Wobbler
04-19-2018, 11:51 PM
TJ Heath will play boundary halfback, according to Popp (https://www.bing.com/cr?IG=8234DDC12401421490E6ADCB65E88BC1&CID=267C41F8C743690E1E784A2DC6D4681F&rd=1&h=97eMdjiceuJJ_k4WQZeleI23N2xFR-YCkth7FXj36hw&v=1&r=https%3a%2f%2fwww.cfl.ca%2f2018%2f04%2f19%2folea ry-heaths-mind-always-back-argonauts%2f&p=DevEx,5032.1). I don't remember where he lined up in 2016, but that's an important job. Obviously he'll have to perform in camp, but Popp seems to like him.

paulwoods13
04-20-2018, 08:16 AM
None of this matters, obviously, but the following returning players have had their numbers changed:

Robert Woodson to 7 (TJ Heath gets 23)
Dakota Prukop to 9 (James Franklin gets 2)
Ronnie Pfeffer to 17 (Fajardo's old number)
Alden Darby to 3 (Tank Reed gets 33)
Jeff Luc to 35 (he was 96 before -- I don't know why this change was made)

gilthethrill
04-20-2018, 11:07 AM
None of this matters, obviously, but the following returning players have had their numbers changed:

Robert Woodson to 7 (TJ Heath gets 23)
Dakota Prukop to 9 (James Franklin gets 2)
Ronnie Pfeffer to 17 (Fajardo's old number)
Alden Darby to 3 (Tank Reed gets 33)
Jeff Luc to 35 (he was 96 before -- I don't know why this change was made)

I am glad that Joe Barnes #17 is still alive.

doubleblue
04-20-2018, 03:44 PM
I am glad that Joe Barnes #17 is still alive.

And Flutie's number 2. Joe Theismann's number 7. Bill Symons number 33.

Will
04-20-2018, 04:10 PM
That's Condredge Holloway's #7 :(

gilthethrill
04-20-2018, 04:20 PM
And Flutie's number 2. Joe Theismann's number 7. Bill Symons number 33.

Of course....I only mentioned Barnes because I have a vintage jersey with his name on it hanging gallantly in my Argo room. No disrespect intended on the players you listed.😊

AngeloV
04-20-2018, 04:30 PM
That's Condredge Holloway's #7 :(

That's right. Theismann lost his privileges when he made that stupid comment over the Ricky Williams signing saying it made him embarrassed to have ever been a Toronto Argonaut. But being a teammate of Dexter Manley among others in Washington was OK?

Argo57
04-20-2018, 04:47 PM
That's right. Theismann lost his privileges when he made that stupid comment over the Ricky Williams signing saying it made him embarrassed to have ever been a Toronto Argonaut. But being a teammate of Dexter Manley among others in Washington was OK?

I’ll cut Theismann some slack on that one, for the most part he has always talked extremely fondly of his time in the CFL with the Argonauts.

ArgoZ
04-20-2018, 06:05 PM
I’ll cut Theismann some slack on that one, for the most part he has always talked extremely fondly of his time in the CFL with the Argonauts.

Still does. He really does love the team. I do agree the Williams comments were overblown, but it was a made for tv thing. Funny, now in 2018, where we are on the verge of allowing smoking pot practically at half time, LOL.

Argo57
04-20-2018, 06:11 PM
Still does. He really does love the team. I do agree the Williams comments were overblown, but it was a made for tv thing. Funny, now in 2018, where we are on the verge of allowing smoking pot practically at half time, LOL.

I’m a big Theismann fan, never met a microphone he doesn’t like but has always been steadfast in his praise for the CFL.

AngeloV
04-20-2018, 08:44 PM

I was half joking...but only half.

:D

PullTogether73
04-21-2018, 07:26 AM
I'm always amused by the fact that Joe allowed the pronunciation of his last name to be changed.
It is supposed to be pronounced "Theez-man".
Apparently, some coach or trainer at his college - Notre Dame - recommended he change the pronunciation to "Thighz-man" as he was a favourite to win the Heisman trophy and they thought that his name rhyming with the award would help his chances. He ended up finishing second to Jim Plunkett btw.

(Apologies if this is already widely known.)

And yes, I love that he is very supportive of the Argos to this day - remember that he was a featured guest and tailgate visitor at the first BMO Field game.

gilthethrill
04-21-2018, 09:27 AM
I’m a big Theismann fan, never met a microphone he doesn’t like but has always been steadfast in his praise for the CFL.

I recall in grade 8 ( perhaps my 2nd year), I came across a cool book in the school library that Joe wrote...it was basically a guide to become a QBLloyd type of drills, etc. All the photos were of him in Argo colors. Would be a nice addition for any Argo fan.

AngeloV
04-22-2018, 11:00 AM
I recall in grade 8 ( perhaps my 2nd year), I came across a cool book in the school library that Joe wrote...it was basically a guide to become a QBLloyd type of drills, etc. All the photos were of him in Argo colors. Would be a nice addition for any Argo fan.

Are you sure it wasn't your third year of Grade 8? I was recall you telling me Grade 8 was the three best years of your life.

:)

gilthethrill
04-22-2018, 12:33 PM
Are you sure it wasn't your third year of Grade 8? I was recall you telling me Grade 8 was the three best years of your life.

:)

I had to think about it...I was shaving then so yes, it was year 3.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8