PDA

View Full Version : Argos and CFL Power Rankings

jerrym
03-09-2018, 01:22 AM
The first 2018 CFL Power Rankings are out with Calgary listed first, followed by Edmonton, Saskatchewan, Toronto, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Hamilton, BC and Montreal.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/03/06/stamps-take-top-spot-nissan-titan-post-free-agency-power-rankings/

Calgary has done a very good job of getting younger while keeping players who have been starters, so they should be ranked first again. The Montreal Mess is highly likely to leave them the weakest and losingest team in the league once again, especially when one combines a weak team with a QB with no CFL experience in Josh Freeman.

The Argos are ranked fourth with the writer pointing to their 9-9 record in spite of winning the Grey Cup. However, they were almost two teams - one that was 4-7, followed by another that finished 5-2 before winning the Eastern Final and the Grey Cup. It took a while for the team to jell, which was understandable considering the massive changes that occurred last year. This and the development of a formidable ground attack once Wilder became the starting RB makes them a very different team. The addition of James Franklin greatly improves the backup QB position if Ray is injured. The loss of Posey will be felt but he was the third best receiver after Green and Edwards IMO and the return of Coombs should leave the receiving core in good condition. Ronnie Yell offsets the loss of Rico Murray and TJ Heath should increase Argos interception rate although he is not a great cover guy. The loss of Butler will hurt but he missed one third of the season and did not seem as effective after his return from injury. Losing Hajrullahu, a Canadian who does all three kicking jobs, will only be partly offset by Waters. However, overall the Argos are still in pretty good shape so I would rank them second overall.

Edmonton's loss of the league's leading receiver, Brandon Zylstra, Euclid Cummings (although he deserved to be released for his sexual assault charges), Ken Ladler, and an aging but still valuable Adarius Bowman leaves the Eskimos a slightly weaker team but still a strong third.

The addition of Zac Collaros will improve the Riders' QB position while the development of Brandon Bridge gives them a good backup. However, adding talented but aging 33 yea-old Jerome Messam and 34 year-old Charleston Hughes, and Zac's injury-prone recent seasons raise questions about how healthy some of the team's key players will be as the season goes on. The Riders also signed free agents Nationals DL Zach Evans, LB Sam Hurl and WR Jake Harty increasing their overall Canadian talent. They could go far but there are a lot of ifs among key players, so I rank them fourth

The Bomber offence was one of the league's best last year and they added more Canadian depth to it by signing WR Nic Demski and RB Kienan Lafrance, as well as resigning CFL OL of the year Stanley Bryant. Darian Durant will improve their backup QB, simply by not being Dominique Davis or Dan LeFevour, although he may not be what he once was if last year in Montreal is indicative. However, their defence hurt them repeatedly and they have now lost National DL Jamaal Westerman, DB TJ Heath, and LB Sam Hurl. Former BC Lion DB Chandler Fenner will help improve the pass defence but more help is needed there leaving them fifth.

The Lions signed more free agents than anyone and even with the loss of Cummings they have improved their lineup with OL Joel Figueroa and Chris Greaves, DBs AJ Jefferson and Gary Peters, DL Odell Willis and Gabe Knapton, RB Brandon Rutley, and QB depth in Cody Fajardo. Therefore this should move them up to sixth overall.

Former Argo QB Trevor Harris throwing to former Argos Diontae Spencer and Kenny Shaw, as well as Greg Ellington and National Brad Sinopoli will give the Redblacks a great passing offence and William Powell will give them one of the best RBs in the CFL if he can stay healthy but that was a problem last year. Harris also better not get injured because there is not much behind him. The many changes in the defence reflects GM Marcel Desjardins unhappiness with last year's group. DBs Rico Murray and Lucheiz Purifoy, and A.C. Leonard should help but more is needed.

Hamilton focused on resigning its own free agents, adding only Lirim Hajrullahu. HC June Jones obviously was an improvement over Austin, but his tendency to sign old friends as coaches also seems to be reflected in keeping the team he already has. He may well find that there are still significant holes in the lineup over the course of a full season, but even if that is the case they will still beat out the woeful Als.

Argo57
03-09-2018, 06:47 PM
I know it gets fans talking but pretty pointless exercise IMO.

argolio
03-09-2018, 10:55 PM
I'm confident we'll move up the rankings in April!

Argo57
03-10-2018, 08:05 AM
I'm confident we'll move up the rankings in April!

Popp better get something done over March break or they’ll be stuck at #4!

Will
03-10-2018, 08:37 AM
Good thing power rankings are irrelevant.

Jon Gonzo
03-10-2018, 09:44 AM
Pretty decent review jerrym

OV Argo
03-10-2018, 10:21 AM
I know it gets fans talking but pretty pointless exercise IMO.

Actually - i find the off-season team moves & re-builds very interesting.

SO - power rankings based on the off-season acquisitions and losses (coaching staff included) are entertaining to me.

No way the Stamps should be #1 IMO - lost some key players like Hughes, Tommy Campbell, Messam - and while they may have dominated the past couple of regular seasons, their GC losses are a good indicator that this team is way over-rated IMO; and power rankings are not about the past. I believe the Stamps will still be solid, but more like a .500 team now.

Esks (Reilly at QB, makings of a very strong D) or the defending GC Champ Argos should be atop the pre-season power rankings, IMO.

Argo57
03-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Actually - i find the off-season team moves & re-builds very interesting.

SO - power rankings based on the off-season acquisitions and losses (coaching staff included) are entertaining to me.

No way the Stamps should be #1 IMO - lost some key players like Hughes, Tommy Campbell, Messam - and while they may have dominated the past couple of regular seasons, their GC losses are a good indicator that this team is way over-rated IMO; and power rankings are not about the past. I believe the Stamps will still be solid, but more like a .500 team now.

Esks (Reilly at QB, makings of a very strong D) or the defending GC Champ Argos should be atop the pre-season power rankings, IMO.

To each his own I guess.

OV Argo
03-10-2018, 12:00 PM
To each his own I guess.

Exactly.

And again - the CFL off-season and going into TC are very interesting to me. So many changes now in an off-season with short contracts and lots of free agents; coaching staffs re-tooled often; and the draft and Combine as the building blocks of Canadian talent is interesting to some CFL fans.

So CFL talk in the off-season with all the changes and moves made by the teams - I dig that more than regular season fan forum stuff. The games once the season starts, speak and tell lots.

Will
03-10-2018, 12:25 PM
I wrote off the Stampeders (to an extent) going into last season and I was dead wrong (until the GC). Based on this, I feel like they're the type of team that I won't believe will take a fall until they actually do over the course of an 18-game regular season.

AngeloV
03-10-2018, 01:52 PM
I wonder who was the originator of making power rankings in sports? Guessing it's used mostly for click bait, but agree with the fact that it is the most irrelevant thing going.

Argo57
03-10-2018, 02:30 PM
Exactly.

And again - the CFL off-season and going into TC are very interesting to me. So many changes now in an off-season with short contracts and lots of free agents; coaching staffs re-tooled often; and the draft and Combine as the building blocks of Canadian talent is interesting to some CFL fans.

So CFL talk in the off-season with all the changes and moves made by the teams - I dig that more than regular season fan forum stuff. The games once the season starts, speak and tell lots.

Actually I agree OV, I enjoy the off season transactions and strategies involved with building a roster.
The other interesting part through camp into the preseason is how the chemistry develops between all the assembled talent, this may be as important anything.

"Issues"Mcgee
03-12-2018, 10:29 PM
Those power rankings are way off. Here is a more accurate list.

1. Toronto Argonauts
2. Everyone else

You're welcome.

bluto
03-13-2018, 08:58 PM
It has us as first in the East. I'd say that's accurate.

Will
03-14-2018, 12:04 PM
I wonder who was the originator of making power rankings in sports? Guessing it's used mostly for click bait, but agree with the fact that it is the most irrelevant thing going.

Good question, a quick google search did not shed any light.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8