PDA

View Full Version : Mike Archer New Argo Defensive Coordinator

jerrym
03-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Mike Archer is going to be the Argos new defensive coordinator.

Archer will replace Corey Chamblin who told the team he doesn’t plan on returning for the 2018 season after serving as defensive coordinator on the Argonauts 2017 Grey Cup championship team.
Archer was brought on the Argos defensive staff by Chamblin last year to coach linebackers. The 64-year-old has over 30 seasons of NCAA coaching experience, including a four-year stint as head coach at Louisiana State University where the LSU Tigers went 27-18-1 while winning a Southeastern Conference Championship in 1988.
Archer coached linebackers for the Pittsburgh Steelers for seven seasons from 1996-2002. The Argonauts were his first coaching role in the CFL. As a player, Archer was a defensive back for the University of Miami where he earned a masters degree in education. He won a National Championship as Hurricanes defensive backs coach in 1983.

Archer’s replacement as linebackers coach is expected to be Greg Quick, who has served as linebackers coach in Montreal for the last two seasons and took a more active role in defensive game planning after Kavis Reed fired Noel Thorpe last September.
Quick originally got his CFL coaching start in Toronto in 2010 when he served for two seasons as the Argos linebacker coach. He was the Saskatchewan Roughriders defensive coordinator under Chamblin in 2015.

http://3downnation.com/2018/03/16/argos-to-name-mike-archer-defensive-coordinator/

gilthethrill
03-16-2018, 03:19 PM
Well, guess we will have to see how it works out. Looks like Popp has given him lots of talent to work with.

R.J
03-16-2018, 03:20 PM
I have no issue with Archer as DC, but Greg Quick as Lb Coach ? Wow.

Scooter McCray
03-16-2018, 03:33 PM
I have no issue with Archer as DC, but Greg Quick as Lb Coach ? Wow.Archer was the LB coach last year. One of the team's strengths. I can see him having plenty of say over the coaching and game planning for the LBs this year too.

Stevoman
03-16-2018, 08:07 PM
Sad to lose Chamblin but think the continuity is smart.

AngeloV
03-16-2018, 09:55 PM
I have no issue with Archer as DC, but Greg Quick as Lb Coach ? Wow.

So you've observed his work and teaching so closely to the point that you know he's a terrible coach? Interesting.

gilthethrill
03-17-2018, 06:02 AM
Sad to lose Chamblin but think the continuity is smart.

My issue is that the Argos, for whatever reason never seem to have continuity on the coaching staff. In this case hiring from within seems like the wisest move.

paulwoods13
03-17-2018, 08:57 AM
So you've observed his work and teaching so closely to the point that you know he's a terrible coach? Interesting.

Maybe he means "Wow" as in "Great!" Or are we supposed to know what he means?

Jon Gonzo
03-17-2018, 09:01 AM
Can we trust the source that broke this story for us to discuss? #fakenews

AngeloV
03-17-2018, 10:00 AM
Maybe he means "Wow" as in "Great!" Or are we supposed to know what he means?

Good point. I may have jumped to conclusions. So unlike me. LOL.

But in my defence, when the beginning part of a comment gives praise to one guy, and the second part is started with "but", pretty easy to think it's a negative comment.

AngeloV
03-17-2018, 10:02 AM
Can we trust the source that broke this story for us to discuss? #fakenews

Dunk IMO is the only one worth following from that site. On a side note, Please use a different hashtag. That one is so overused these days it is rather sickening, especially when taking into consideration the idiot that started it.

Jon Gonzo
03-17-2018, 10:19 AM
Dunk IMO is the only one worth following from that site. On a side note, Please use a different hashtag. That one is so overused these days it is rather sickening, especially when taking into consideration the idiot that started it.

Sorry, I will go with #covfefe next time

ArgoZ
03-17-2018, 10:36 AM
How big of an impact do position coaches really have? I'd say they are appreciated, but minimal when it comes to wins. Quick was last with us during the Cleo Lemon era, bad memories I know, but it's not like he doesn't understand linebacking. He will be fine, especially with the talent and depth we have at that position. We're pretty much the Montreal Argonauts anyway, so I'm used to it. 😃

Jon Gonzo
03-17-2018, 12:16 PM
How big of an impact do position coaches really have? I'd say they are appreciated, but minimal when it comes to wins. Quick was last with us during the Cleo Lemon era, bad memories I know, but it's not like he doesn't understand linebacking. He will be fine, especially with the talent and depth we have at that position. We're pretty much the Montreal Argonauts anyway, so I'm used to it. 

As I don't know these men personally, and never get to see them work behind the scenes, I don't worry about such moves as I trust the Coach who hired the Assistant, has hours of knowledge, reference or person-to-person experience with these individuals.

I'll let Marc Trestman hire his staff as I trust his judgement. I am disappointing that Chamblin moved along; I have really liked the tempo and demeanor of his teams over the years. However, if CC is experiencing some personal issues, I'd rather a fully engaged *insert name that Trestman chooses here* than a troubled and distracted Corey Chamblin

Argo57
03-17-2018, 02:41 PM
As I don't know these men personally, and never get to see them work behind the scenes, I don't worry about such moves as I trust the Coach who hired the Assistant, has hours of knowledge, reference or person-to-person experience with these individuals.

I'll let Marc Trestman hire his staff as I trust his judgement. I am disappointing that Chamblin moved along; I have really liked the tempo and demeanor of his teams over the years. However, if CC is experiencing some personal issues, I'd rather a fully engaged *insert name that Trestman chooses here* than a troubled and distracted Corey Chamblin

That’s my take on it as well Gonzo, Popp and Trestman are no dummies and will hire good qualified coaches to run their respective teams.
No worries here.

OV Argo
03-17-2018, 03:45 PM
That’s my take on it as well Gonzo, Popp and Trestman are no dummies and will hire good qualified coaches to run their respective teams.
No worries here.

Popp hired Dan Hawkins and himself to HC the Als - results were not pretty.

gilthethrill
03-17-2018, 03:59 PM

Dunk hasn't blocked you on twitter yet??😂

Argo57
03-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Popp hired Dan Hawkins and himself to HC the Als - results were not pretty.

Popp also hired Trestman who in turn hired this DC, not worried.

AngeloV
03-17-2018, 05:13 PM
Dunk hasn't blocked you on twitter yet??😂

😂😂😂

Not yet. But, I'm sure my days are numbered.

OV Argo
03-17-2018, 11:16 PM
Popp also hired Trestman who in turn hired this DC, not worried.

Hey - no need to ever worry if you have faith. ;o)

Argo57
03-18-2018, 11:36 AM
Hey - no need to ever worry if you have faith. ;o)

Coming off a Grey Cup Championship I figure this management team and coaching staff know what they are doing.
Only time will tell in regards to Archers effectiveness as DC.

jerrym
03-18-2018, 11:42 AM
Coming off a Grey Cup Championship I figure this management team and coaching staff know what they are doing.
Only time will tell in regards to Archers effectiveness as DC.

Considering what Popp and Trestman did last year in turning around the team after being hired at such a late date, plus a very successful record in Montreal when they both had a quality QB, I trust their ability to fill any holes in the coaching staff.

Argo57
03-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Considering what Popp and Trestman did last year in turning around the team after being hired at such a late date, plus a very successful record in Montreal when they both had a quality QB, I trust their ability to fill any holes in the coaching staff.

They have also effectively replaced any players who decided to play elsewhere.

Bleeds Double Blue
03-19-2018, 12:48 AM
Coming off a Grey Cup Championship......

Makes my day everytime I see that.

Argo57
03-19-2018, 07:00 PM
Makes my day everytime I see that.

Same here, must admit I often watch the Grey Cup recap and enjoy it every time.
Still amazed they managed to win that game.

jerrym
03-19-2018, 07:51 PM
Still amazed they managed to win that game.

Considering the trajectory of the game including the recovered fumble at the one for a TD, who wasn't amazed?

Argo57
03-19-2018, 09:04 PM
Considering the trajectory of the game including the recovered fumble at the one for a TD, who wasn't amazed?

I was slumped over in my chair during the Calgary drive that Kamar Jorden eventually fumbled on, talk about a change in emotion in the blink of an eye.
Any Grey Cup the Argonauts win is special to me but this one was unbelievable!

Scooter McCray
03-20-2018, 08:49 AM
I was slumped over in my chair during the Calgary drive that Kamar Jorden eventually fumbled on, talk about a change in emotion in the blink of an eye.
Any Grey Cup the Argonauts win is special to me but this one was unbelievable!A stunning turnaround. I had all but accepted the loss just prior to the fumble. That play should be as important a moment in Toronto sports lore as any.

Will
03-20-2018, 11:50 AM
It was freezing in the stands at TD Place. I had tried to use the eastern final the Sunday before as a dress rehearsal quite literally and figuratively, but despite hand warmers and layers of clothes it just wasn't working. As Calgary drove down the field I started to rationalize the (expected) loss re-assuring myself that a team that appeared to be in dysfunction a year prior had done well for itself to have made it this far, and then all of a sudden A FUMBLE, AN ARGO TOUCHDOWN, 2-PT CONVERSION, DEFENSIVE STOP, HAJRULLAHU FG AND A BO LEVI INT and WAIT DID THE ARGOS JUST WIN THE GREY CUP? I mention the temperature because I quickly forgot about how cold it was after the Vaughn fumble recovery.

paulwoods13
03-20-2018, 02:12 PM
My daughter and I are having a great time at the game, in fabulous seats (first row of upper deck, 20-yard line behind the Argo bench). We've gone pretty quiet, tho, as Calgary is driving for what looks like the coffin-nail FG. Both of us are silently thinking, too bad we lost, but what a great season we had. Then all of a sudden Vaughn has the ball and he's racing down the far sideline. Halfway to the end zone, my daughter is shrieking and bawling in utter disbelief. Then Cross ties the game, Ricky leads us to the go-ahead FG, and to cap it all off, Matt Black (whose game-worn jersey Rachel is wearing) makes the most important interception in 143 years of Argo football. No one could have scripted it better.

gilthethrill
03-20-2018, 03:24 PM
It is worth noting that Mike Archer was Cassius Vaughn's position coach during the 105th Grey Cup.

AngeloV
03-20-2018, 03:27 PM
Any Grey Cup the Argonauts win is special to me but this one was unbelievable!

Kind of the way I felt after the punt return TD the weak before by the Riders. I just put and head in my hands as I thought it was over. Up to that point the Argos were not moving the ball into the wind in the 4th quarter, but they saved their best for the most important time.

gilthethrill
03-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Kind of the way I felt after the punt return TD the weak before by the Riders. I just put and head in my hands as I thought it was over. Up to that point the Argos were not moving the ball into the wind in the 4th quarter, but they saved their best for the most important time.

As a fellow long time Argo fan, can you recall 2 heart stopping comeback wins in the post season? Not sure I can. Possible the most entertaining season for me. So fortunate to have been able to attend 5 home games and a road game in Alberta last year.

jerrym
03-20-2018, 03:42 PM
I was watching the game on TV in Vancouver with a friend originally from Toronto, who has been out here for 40+ years, as Calgary marched downfield toward the goal-line, in such grim silence that, unlikely earlier we no longer talking to each other as we watched the time clock approach midnight for this Cinderella team, when my eyes couldn't at first believe there was an Argo and then teammates running toward the opposite end zone. It seemed so improbable that I was waiting for the referee to say the Argo had committed some infraction to end up with the ball at the one. Somewhere Leon McQuay was smiling, thinking I'm no longer involved in what will be the most remembered play in Argo history.

gilthethrill
03-20-2018, 03:46 PM
I was watching the game on TV in Vancouver with a friend originally from Toronto, who has been out here for 40+ years, as Calgary marched downfield toward the goal-line, in such grim silence that, unlikely earlier we no longer talking to each other as we watched the time clock approach midnight for this Cinderella team, when my eyes couldn't at first believe there was an Argo and then teammates running toward the opposite end zone. It seemed so improbable that I was waiting for the referee to say the Argo had committed some infraction to end up with the ball at the one. Somewhere Leon McQuay was smiling, thinking I'm no longer involved in what will be the most remembered play in Argo history.

When Jordan slipped, Dickenson fell!

paulwoods13
03-20-2018, 04:42 PM
As a fellow long time Argo fan, can you recall 2 heart stopping comeback wins in the post season?

Only thing comparable was probably the 1983 Eastern Final and Grey Cup. Both won at the end after being behind for much of the game.

gilthethrill
03-20-2018, 04:45 PM
Only thing comparable was probably the 1983 Eastern Final and Grey Cup. Both won at the end after being behind for much of the game.

Spoken like a person who knows a thing or two about the 83 Championship season.

Argo57
03-20-2018, 07:39 PM

Section#5 Row#28 Seats 34-35 for that game (don’t ask how I remember that) also a thrilling game for an 18 year old kid and his father, great times indeed!
World Series Championships were fantastic but something about the Argonauts winning a Grey Cup that can’t be beat.

OV Argo
03-20-2018, 08:44 PM
Section#5 Row#28 Seats 34-35 for that game (don’t ask how I remember that) also a thrilling game for an 18 year old kid and his father, great times indeed!
World Series Championships were fantastic but something about the Argonauts winning a Grey Cup that can’t be beat.

Amen to that !

The 83 GC ended that long, annoying drought = a thing of beauty for long-time suffering Argo fans.

Getting to be in the stands at Lansdowne for that GC win with Pinner as coach and Damon Allen & O'Shea leading the way was great too !

Stevoman
03-20-2018, 09:38 PM
My daughter and I are having a great time at the game, in fabulous seats (first row of upper deck, 20-yard line behind the Argo bench). We've gone pretty quiet, tho, as Calgary is driving for what looks like the coffin-nail FG. Both of us are silently thinking, too bad we lost, but what a great season we had. Then all of a sudden Vaughn has the ball and he's racing down the far sideline. Halfway to the end zone, my daughter is shrieking and bawling in utter disbelief. Then Cross ties the game, Ricky leads us to the go-ahead FG, and to cap it all off, Matt Black (whose game-worn jersey Rachel is wearing) makes the most important interception in 143 years of Argo football. No one could have scripted it better.

Great story. This was the first Grey Cup that my 3 kids could truly enjoy as in 2012 they were still too young. I'll forever remember this one for much of the same reason thinking it was going to be too far out of reach and then all of a sudden its a TD for the Argos followed by all of what you said. My kids have this permanent memory of a giddy father jumping around the house cheering not only for the Argos but for Matt Black and his redemption story. Truly a fantastic ending and one that has to be right at the top for sport memories for me. To share it with my family was incredible.

Bleeds Double Blue
03-20-2018, 11:18 PM
Sorry guys, I seem to have hijacked the thread with a simple off the cuff comment but after reading through all the wonderful memories I'm glad I did.

jerrym
03-20-2018, 11:54 PM
Sorry guys, I seem to have hijacked the thread with a simple off the cuff comment but after reading through all the wonderful memories I'm glad I did.

Thanks for doing it.

ArgoRavi
03-21-2018, 12:43 AM
As a fellow long time Argo fan, can you recall 2 heart stopping comeback wins in the post season? Not sure I can. Possible the most entertaining season for me. So fortunate to have been able to attend 5 home games and a road game in Alberta last year.

1983 perhaps. It has been a while though.

The only thing remotely close to the Vaughn TD that I can recall in following the Argos for decades was a late season game in 1981 between the Als and Argos in Toronto. The Argos had to win that game to keep their playoff hopes alive. Late in the game, the Als were marching towards the Argos endzone to wrap the game up when David Overstreet fumbled at the Toronto 1 or 2 yard line with about a minute to go. Before the fumble, Pat Marsden was going on about another non-playoff season for the Argos and, like most, had written them off in that game. After the fumble, things still looked bleak but Condredge Holloway managed to move the ball to around midfield in the dying seconds before finding Martin Cox, on a ball that should have been intercepted by Woodrow Wilson IIRC, for the game-winning TD. Temporarily at least, the Argos still had some hope in that dreadful season.

Anyway, as I said, that is the only situation I can think of off the top of my head where the Argos so rescued victory from the jaws of almost-certain defeat, as they did this past November. You really can't get a more dramatic play than the one that Vaughn came up with there.

gilthethrill
03-21-2018, 01:17 AM
Ravi that 81 game against Montreal...i listened to it on AM radio with a weak signal. It was David Dumars a very good veteran DB that misplayed that Holloway pass that Cox hauled in. Why i remember that so vividly i dont know.

paulwoods13
03-21-2018, 08:21 AM
Here it is, in all its crazy glory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upz55APCCcI

How 'bout those mascots?!

Will
03-21-2018, 12:42 PM
Still boggles the mind that a 3-13 Alouettes team made it to the playoffs while a 9-7 Roughrider team did not.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8