PDA

View Full Version : Location of home pre-season game?

Joe Barnes
03-22-2018, 07:49 PM
Still no announcement on the location of the home pre-season game against Ottawa. TFC go on the road after May 25th and word is they are installing a new field at BMO to be ready in time for Argos home opener on June 23rd. What is the word on the street? Will our game with Ottawa be at BMO or is there an alternative venue in the works? Anyone hearing anything?

Shatto
03-22-2018, 08:20 PM
It is a little disappointing that management does not have this information out to the public by now. Correction, it is very disappointing.

Shipyard
03-22-2018, 09:35 PM
i'm pretty sure naylor already said its at BMO, you've already paid for it,
i guesing its between June 8-10th ... new turf goes in May 26th IIRC.

Saugonaut
03-23-2018, 08:01 AM
Was wondering about that. Wasn’t sure if it was going to be at Varsity or something.

Treblecharger1
03-23-2018, 09:43 AM
TFC just moved a home game until June 13th which is a Wednesday night. So we will see what happens.

Shipyard
03-23-2018, 11:58 AM
they re-sod all the time in NFL with 6-7 days between games. were talking two weeks here.

my guess it will be on saturday night june 9th

ArgoGabe22
03-23-2018, 12:15 PM
There was an article about the grass situation not too long ago and sounded like this game won’t be at BMO. Someone suggested Varsity but I’m not sure if that’s accurate or not.

doubleblue
03-23-2018, 04:07 PM
Moncton again?

Mightygoose
03-24-2018, 04:16 PM
RT .@TimCBaines

The @REDBLACKS will play a @CFL pre-season game in #Guelph June 7 vs. the @TorontoArgos. @GryphonFootball. It's a Thursday. #CFL #RNation #Argos

Shatto
03-24-2018, 05:09 PM
And the reason?

argos1873
03-24-2018, 05:51 PM
And the reason?

I heard they are laying new turf at BMO.

*Edit* Ooops, only read your post first. I should have read the whole thing.

argos1873
03-24-2018, 05:54 PM
Too bad there isn't a suitable stadium east of the GTA. Guelph is kind of Ti-cats country. I guess the stadium at Queen's is not suitable?

gilthethrill
03-24-2018, 08:03 PM
Too bad there isn't a suitable stadium east of the GTA. Guelph is kind of Ti-cats country. I guess the stadium at Queen's is not suitable?

Actually Queens just got a new stadium. Sounds like a sweet facility. I just may make the trip to Guelph.

argos1873
03-24-2018, 08:50 PM
Actually Queens just got a new stadium. Sounds like a sweet facility. I just may make the trip to Guelph.

Too bad it couldn't have been there. More Ottawa fans would have made the trip, although its a bit further, for many Argo fans, maybe more East of Toronto Argo fans could make it. Oh well, it should be a fun time in Guelph.

ArgoRavi
03-24-2018, 09:31 PM

While Guelph is seen in recent years as being more affiliated with the Ticats, the Argos held their training camp there from the late 1970s to the early 1990s. For that reason, I still consider it Argos country!

BATKINSON001
03-24-2018, 09:39 PM
I wont be going to guelph, it's a work day and I usually get stuck working closing shifts on thursday.

argos1873
03-24-2018, 10:35 PM
While Guelph is seen in recent years as being more affiliated with the Ticats, the Argos held their training camp there from the late 1970s to the early 1990s. For that reason, I still consider it Argos country!

I agree, but really its not Argo country. I'm not complaining though. I think it helps to spread the game with these neutral site games where ever they might be.

Shatto
03-24-2018, 11:12 PM
Apparently, they will be laying new turf at BMO stadium starting May 26 (TFC plays at BMO on May 25). This is reportedly, to allow 19 days for the TFC game on June 13. The question is, why not play the Argo home exhibition game at BMO on Sat June 9 or Sun June 10, giving the grounds folks, 15 or 16 days to get turf ready? If it can be ready in 19 days surely 16 days would also be possible.

Regarding the rumoured Thurs June 7 Argo pre season game in Guelph; this appears to be highly inconvenient for a good number of fans, especially those who work. The kickoff would probably be at 7:30, to allow fans to get there and get a bite to eat. This means heading home around 10:30. All of which is on a work day, followed by another work day. Yes, it is not unheard of for fans to go home from an Argo game at 10:30 but that is from Toronto not Guelph.

This whole thing seems to be cobbled together, without consideration of fans, especially STH's who have already paid for this game. Leaving the arrangements and the announcement of the arrangements so late, shows IMO, a very unprofessional approach to the whole matter.

One can imagine if TFC, treated it fans in such an inconsiderate manner, They would be, justifiably, vocal in their disapproval of such shoddy treatment. But it appears that management expects Argo fans to go along with whatever they arrange. Not good enough folks--time for Argo fans and especially STH's to start demanding better from management.

Ok, I'm probably overreacting but this team, needs to build a solid fan base and should be desperately attempting to make the fan experience as positive and welcoming as possible. This doesn't seem to be the case in this situation.

AngeloV
03-25-2018, 01:04 AM
I would rather the game be played at Huskies Stadium in Halifax. Hopefully, the Argos provide ST holders with a ticket voucher to replace this game on the ST package. Driving from Downtown TO to Guelph on a Thursday night just doesn't sound to appealing to me.

ArgoZ
03-25-2018, 01:25 PM
If Guelph is the choice, then why not Saturday and give us all a chance to be there? I like the stadium. You could have a bit of a fan fest setup outside, like the Cats used to. Have a lot of the players mingle before, food trucks, it would be a great pre-season weekend.

AngeloV
03-25-2018, 03:17 PM
If Guelph is the choice, then why not Saturday and give us all a chance to be there? I like the stadium. You could have a bit of a fan fest setup outside, like the Cats used to. Have a lot of the players mingle before, food trucks, it would be a great pre-season weekend.

Nothing officially posted yet. We can only hope Tim Bains messed up the date. If it's Saturday, great day for a road trip.

Scooter McCray
03-25-2018, 03:53 PM
Everything is being done to accommodate TFC. It is only a pre season game but this really isn't right to the fans or the team. Since this is the reality of the situation what would impress me would be Manning and MLSE market the game To the guelph community and minor football teams in southwest Ontario. Make the best of the situation. If they choose not to do that than that tells me a little bit of what they think about football and their Grey Cup winning team.

Mightygoose
03-25-2018, 04:03 PM
I'm not too bothered by the game in Guelph. A Saturday would have been nice but the Argos start the regular season the following Friday (June 15) so a Saturday pre season would only give a 6 day break as opposed to 8 as it stands.

We have a really good schedule for the regular season so don't look at is as MLSE giving the Argos the shaft
. My only gripe is the lack of communication from the team earlier on this matter.

On the positive side, it likely bodes well for the season ticket base as Varsity is the next largest stadium in the GTA that can accommodate gridiron style football and it seats about 5K so too small for their needs.

gilthethrill
03-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Everything is being done to accommodate TFC. It is only a pre season game but this really isn't right to the fans or the team. Since this is the reality of the situation what would impress me would be Manning and MLSE market the game To the guelph community and minor football teams in southwest Ontario. Make the best of the situation. If they choose not to do that than that tells me a little bit of what they think about football and their Grey Cup winning team.

TFC being accommodated? Surely you jest?😅

Scooter McCray
03-25-2018, 05:01 PM
TFC being accommodated? Surely you jest?😅I do not jest and stop calling me Shirley.

argotom
03-27-2018, 07:03 PM
How about a game in Kingston at the new 9k stadium.
With the Redlacks, they can draw fans from the city and surrounding area and probably sellout.

argolio
03-27-2018, 11:11 PM
Least they could do is televise the game.

Neely2005
03-30-2018, 02:12 PM
No way we can get to Guelph on a weekday so we'll be expecting a refund on our preseason tickets.

Argos1983
03-30-2018, 04:33 PM
No way we can get to Guelph on a weekday so we'll be expecting a refund on our preseason tickets.

100% agree with this.....

Shatto
03-30-2018, 06:00 PM
Why are they taking so long to publicise it. Management not interested in the fans or just unprofessional behaviour?

gilthethrill
03-30-2018, 09:45 PM
Why are they taking so long to publicise it. Management not interested in the fans or just unprofessional behaviour?

Yes to both it would seem.

Neely2005
03-31-2018, 10:31 AM

Hopefully it's just because they haven't finalized the date and location yet.

Mightygoose
03-31-2018, 10:47 AM
Hopefully it's just because they haven't finalized the date and location yet.

That seems reasonable. The RedBlacks don't have the game listed on their site either.

Likely some 't's' to cross and some 'i's' to dot with Guelph.

AngeloV
03-31-2018, 05:25 PM
That seems reasonable. The RedBlacks don't have the game listed on their site either.

Likely some 't's' to cross and some 'i's' to dot with Guelph.

Or maybe they are still hoping to get the game in at BMO and are waiting until they absolutely can't before officially going elsewhere.

ArgoZ
04-01-2018, 09:35 AM
Or maybe they are still hoping to get the game in at BMO and are waiting until they absolutely can't before officially going elsewhere.

Something has to be afloat. The Kingston idea is genius, it would sell out, but I'm afraid that would have been all settled by now. I would be fine with every yearly Argos pre-season game being held at a local University. It just has to be planned well in advance and on the weekend.

As a ST holder, I would be happy with a voucher for any game in exchange for the Thurday in Guelph. Saturday, I'll be there.

AngeloV
04-01-2018, 10:24 AM
Something has to be afloat. The Kingston idea is genius, it would sell out, but I'm afraid that would have been all settled by now. I would be fine with every yearly Argos pre-season game being held at a local University. It just has to be planned well in advance and on the weekend.

As a ST holder, I would be happy with a voucher for any game in exchange for the Thurday in Guelph. Saturday, I'll be there.

That's exactly the way I feel. I will gladly take a voucher in exchange.

Flutie
04-05-2018, 11:54 AM

I think a Ticat/Argo game at Guelph would've been the best choice, Ticat and Argo fans would be able to drive there.
Kingston a sell out? why? I can't see many Argo fans driving all the way to Kingston on a Thursday night and not many Ottawa fans would drive all the way to Kingston either. The Queens football fans would be gone for the summer by the end of May too.

gilthethrill
04-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Chat on the CFL forum has it that TFC is moving a home game to BMO for June 7.

BATKINSON001
04-05-2018, 01:45 PM
Chat on the CFL forum has it that TFC is moving a home game to BMO for June 7.of course they are... They want first dibs on the new grass

Argo57
04-05-2018, 04:40 PM
of course they are... They want first dibs on the new grass

Ridiculous, I hope they don’t ruin the Argos pitch!!

argos1873
04-05-2018, 09:54 PM
I think a Ticat/Argo game at Guelph would've been the best choice, Ticat and Argo fans would be able to drive there.
Kingston a sell out? why? I can't see many Argo fans driving all the way to Kingston on a Thursday night and not many Ottawa fans would drive all the way to Kingston either. The Queens football fans would be gone for the summer by the end of May too.

Because its a Thursday night, I pretty much agree Kingston doesn't make sense. But I think in general a Toronto-Ottawa game makes more sense in Kingston, than Guelph. Toronto-Hamilton, its Guelph hands down.

Flutie
04-06-2018, 12:05 PM
Because its a Thursday night, I pretty much agree Kingston doesn't make sense. But I think in general a Toronto-Ottawa game makes more sense in Kingston, than Guelph. Toronto-Hamilton, its Guelph hands down.

I suppose it's a money thing, the Argos already have Guelph and the stadium as their camp and everything is in place including the accommodations.
A game in Kingston would mean renting the stadium, accommodations and the travel to get their and back.

Shatto
04-06-2018, 05:57 PM
This game is now only 2 months away and still no information from management. The team must have been aware of the work planned for the field as long ago as January. It has been on social media for quite a while. Personally, I have no objection to the concept of an exhibition game being played at Guelph (it is a outstanding facility) except for being a little piqued that it is being arranged to convenience TFC not the Argos.

It is the unprofessional manner that this is being handled that really rankles. A mid week game (Thurs) rather than a weekend. No information regarding the game or what will be offered to STH's who can't attend because the location and date. The loyal fans who have spent good money for season tickets, deserve far better treatment than this.

Why couldn't the first exhibition game on June 1, have been scheduled for BMO and the second exhibition game have been scheduled as an away game? This would have left a full two weeks for the new field to have been put in place before the June 15 game.

gilthethrill
04-06-2018, 06:31 PM
I suppose it's a money thing, the Argos already have Guelph and the stadium as their camp and everything is in place including the accommodations.
A game in Kingston would mean renting the stadium, accommodations and the travel to get their and back.

TC is going to be in Guelph?

argolio
04-07-2018, 12:08 AM
TC is going to be in Guelph?I hope not!

paulwoods13
04-07-2018, 07:58 AM
It is the unprofessional manner that this is being handled that really rankles. A mid week game (Thurs) rather than a weekend. No information regarding the game or what will be offered to STH's who can't attend because the location and date. The loyal fans who have spent good money for season tickets, deserve far better treatment than this.

I agree. I hope whomever replaced Jamie Dykstra bothers to read this forum. It's past time for some info to be provided -- even a "we are still working on details" would be better than the silence emanating from the org.

Harpastum
04-07-2018, 02:13 PM
Don't get your knickers in a knot - its just a preseason game.
Nothing important to see - just hope they all stay healthy!

ArgoZ
04-07-2018, 03:07 PM

Kingston would also have to be a weekend game, sorry if I wasn't clear. Half way between cities. With proper promotion (bus groups, fan day like activities) it would be a great day, in an awesome little stadium, drawing fans from both cities and in the Kingston area. People who enjoy football live there year round making up its 160 000 population.

I love pre-season football. I'm laid back and don't get too excited by what happens, but love getting back to watching my team, especially the younger guys and backups (usually the quarterbacks). I can't wait to see Franklin in beautiful Argos colours. Then of course, talking and hearing about what everyone here thinks of the team. At least the first game is on TV this year, I just have to figure out how to get to ours and Thursday/Guelph isn't helping.

paulwoods13
04-07-2018, 03:17 PM

You are missing the point completely, and the denigrating tone of "don't get your knickers in a knot" is not needed.

Argo57
04-07-2018, 03:31 PM

The location of the game is not the point, the organizations lack of communication and engagement continues to annoy many fans.

Harpastum
04-07-2018, 08:28 PM
Ok - I apologize for the tone of my earlier post - my poor attempt at humor.
I just have never been able to get excited about watching 2nd stringers playing a meaningless game in preseason.
And I agree that management should have done a better job of informing & accommodating the rights of us STH.

ArgoZ
04-08-2018, 01:18 AM
Ok - I apologize for the tone of my earlier post - my poor attempt at humor.
I just have never been able to get excited about watching 2nd stringers playing a meaningless game in preseason.
And I agree that management should have done a better job of informing & accommodating the rights of us STH.

This is not the 4th game of an NFL pre-season. The second game in particular is extremely important to the players and the last chance of making the team. The games are actually better than most think. Last years game in Hamilton comes recently to my mind as a good game.

Best advice would be to engage yourself more. One of my best pre-season memories was watching an unknown Chad Kackert play his way on the team, giving management no choice but to keep him, even though he was thought to be a sure cut. Every time he touched the ball, he made plays. Eventually he got his chance and we know the rest.

GregR
04-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Guelph it is. With a refund to season ticket holders

Saugonaut
04-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Yup got the email today. Anyone had their phone-in meeting with the ticketing office yet? I'm in the mood for some upgradding!

I'm okay with the game in Guelph, though was kinda hoping for Varsity, or better yet TD Waterhouse!!!!

Neely2005
04-09-2018, 07:30 PM
Yup got the email today. Anyone had their phone-in meeting with the ticketing office yet? I'm in the mood for some upgradding!

I'm okay with the game in Guelph, though was kinda hoping for Varsity, or better yet TD Waterhouse!!!!

I'm in the mood for some refunds to my credit card!
:-)

Joe Barnes
04-09-2018, 09:27 PM
Guelph it is. With a refund to season ticket holders

Considering the turf issue with BMO, Guelph would make sense if they were holding training camp there, the game was on Saturday and they held a fan-fest on site. The event would play well to the Guelph area and most STH would be able to attend. You could have made the best of the situation. That doesn't seem to be happening. As it is, do we know where training camp is yet?

Personally, I can make Guelph in roughly the same time it takes me to get to BMO, so I figured I'd attend, since I'd paid for the ticket...but the start time is TBD, so who knows on a Thursday night!

ArgoZ
04-09-2018, 09:39 PM
Considering the turf issue with BMO, Guelph would make sense if they were holding training camp there, the game was on Saturday and they held a fan-fest on site. The event would play well to the Guelph area and most STH would be able to attend. You could have made the best of the situation. That doesn't seem to be happening. As it is, do we know where training camp is yet?

Personally, I can make Guelph in roughly the same time it takes me to get to BMO, so I figured I'd attend, since I'd paid for the ticket...but the start time is TBD, so who knows on a Thursday night!

Agree. A little planning, infused by desire and willpower among the Argos and CFL, this could have been an awesome day. It feels half assed, which is a shame.

Argo57
04-09-2018, 10:13 PM
Agree. A little planning, infused by desire and willpower among the Argos and CFL, this could have been an awesome day. It feels half assed, which is a shame.

Outside of a scheduling issue they should have had a Saturday game/fan day.

Al&Kat
04-14-2018, 07:49 PM
What? June 7th? Really? that's Election Day folks.
Make sure to vote before you drive to Guelph!
Should get back home just in time to see the party-leader speeches!

Will
04-15-2018, 09:34 AM
What? June 7th? Really? that's Election Day folks.
Make sure to vote before you drive to Guelph!
Should get back home just in time to see the party-leader speeches!

Advanced polling.

gilthethrill
04-22-2018, 09:15 AM
Purchased 5 tickets for the preseason game. This will only be my 3rd ever Argo exhibition game.....1st one Matt DeBuc and sprinter Willie Hinchcliff were receiver prospects....

doubleblue
04-22-2018, 11:06 AM
Purchased 5 tickets for the preseason game. This will only be my 3rd ever Argo exhibition game.....1st one Matt DeBuc and sprinter Willie Hinchcliff were receiver prospects....

This game will work out good for you coming from Stratford. I always like to attend the pre-season game to see how the newcomers stack up. However, Thursday night in Guelph and getting across Toronto rush hour traffic doesn't sound to appealing this time. Guelph has a nice little Stadium however, holds something like 12,000 now I believe. Wouldn't be surprised if they sell out.

gilthethrill
04-22-2018, 12:31 PM
This game will work out good for you coming from Stratford. I always like to attend the pre-season game to see how the newcomers stack up. However, Thursday night in Guelph and getting across Toronto rush hour traffic doesn't sound to appealing this time. Guelph has a nice little Stadium however, holds something like 12,000 now I believe. Wouldn't be surprised if they sell out.

Yes it is an easy drive for me. I do however share disappointment for those loyal ST holders who live in the GTA who just can't make the game. Still puzzled why the game could not be played on a Saturday, but it must have some thing to do with the Argos making cuts, etc.

Will
04-23-2018, 04:18 PM
I'm dithering over whether to go. From work at 427/401 it is in theory closer than others, but it's the Thursday night part I'm apprehensive about.

argofan81
04-23-2018, 06:33 PM
I'm dithering over whether to go. From work at 427/401 it is in theory closer than others, but it's the Thursday night part I'm apprehensive about.

I work in the same area and have already decided that unless I am able to leave work at 3:30-4:00 there is now way that I will be able to make it. I live in north-west Mississauga and leaving work anytime between 4:30 and 6:00 results in a 45min commute home (ordinary travel time is approx. 20mins) -- and that's just to north-west Mississauga, never mind all the way to Guelph!

Joe Barnes
05-11-2018, 05:25 PM
Have they announced where training camp will be held this year and when it starts? I must have missed the announcement entirely...I'm assuming just after the long weekend and in Guelph but my Google searches only turn up old news...

BATKINSON001
05-11-2018, 05:57 PM
Have they announced where training camp will be held this year and when it starts? I must have missed the announcement entirely...I'm assuming just after the long weekend and in Guelph but my Google searches only turn up old news...training camp is supposed to be at York and starts on May 19 or 20.

AngeloV
05-11-2018, 07:00 PM
training camp is supposed to be at York and starts on May 19 or 20.

May 19 is medicals, May 20 it gets real.

BATKINSON001
05-11-2018, 09:34 PM
May 19 is medicals, May 20 it gets real.cool. If I can get up early enough, I am going to watch.

ArgoGabe22
05-11-2018, 10:41 PM
cool. If I can get up early enough, I am going to watch.

Hopefully the picketers won't be around :D

Will
05-12-2018, 10:20 AM
The first practice (20th) was more of a walk-through last year so the first real '2-a-days' might be Monday, May 21, but fortunately it is a long weekend.

Are the picketers picketing on weekends or holidays?

ArgoRavi
05-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Are the picketers picketing on weekends or holidays?

No.

Will
05-13-2018, 08:11 AM
No.

Thanks, in addition you can park at Black Creek Pioneer Village and walk to the stadium. I do not believe that the protesters stop pedestrians and even at that there is a field you can cut across.

doubleblue
05-13-2018, 10:23 AM
Thanks, in addition you can park at Black Creek Pioneer Village and walk to the stadium. I do not believe that the protesters stop pedestrians and even at that there is a field you can cut across.

I tried that once and got yelled at by a "nice" :angry:lady parking attendant to get out of there.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8