PDA

View Full Version : 2018 starters?

Wobbler
05-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Camp is only two weeks away! We'll certainly sign (and release) a few more guys before then, but most of our projected players are now in place, so it should be possible to guess who will line up when the season starts.

My guesses are pretty conservative, I think; I'm basically just taking the GC roster and filling holes:

Yell - Heath - Gabriel - Ford - Darby
Ball - Reed - Vaughn
Lemon - Bishop - Laing - Tuggle

Campbell - Holmes - McEwen - Washington - Van Zeyl
Tyms - Green - Edwards - Williams
Wilder Jr - Coombs
Ray

- MLB seems pretty open, but I'd bet that Reed makes less money than Woods and that that might make the difference
- Bishop > Wynn? I don't have a strong opinion on this, but I thought Bishop may have been a bit better when he was healthy
- Boundary WR should be a fun competition in camp. Tyms' CFL experience might put him over the top
- I'm guessing that we'll stick with two INTs on the OL because that configuration seemed to work noticeably better and I don't think any of our NATs would be as good as Washington at RG. Please prove me wrong, Sackey…

Will
05-06-2018, 01:14 PM
I think you forgot about Marcus Ball.

Wobbler
05-06-2018, 02:58 PM
I think you forgot about Marcus Ball.
That bum? No way he makes the team.

(ahem)

I will edit my post...

OV Argo
05-06-2018, 03:05 PM
Wynn is way better than Bishop, IMO. Not sure Tuggle is a starting DE - maybe - but hope there is lots of TC competition there and Foster gets a real shot.

Rather see for LBs - Plummer or Woods in the middle (Reed hasn't lasted with 3 CFL teams now for a reason), Ball & Gabriel at OLB; which means Vaughn plays in the secondary where he belongs; could be an import safety, but Woodson should get a look or maybe vet Matt Black - he of an all-time great Argo D play !

gilthethrill
05-06-2018, 03:17 PM
I think Brandon Harris starts at HB and has a solid year.

Argo57
05-06-2018, 05:29 PM
Wynn is way better than Bishop, IMO. Not sure Tuggle is a starting DE - maybe - but hope there is lots of TC competition there and Foster gets a real shot.

Rather see for LBs - Plummer or Woods in the middle (Reed hasn't lasted with 3 CFL teams now for a reason), Ball & Gabriel at OLB; which means Vaughn plays in the secondary where he belongs; could be an import safety, but Woodson should get a look or maybe vet Matt Black - he of an all-time great Argo D play !

I much prefer Wynn to Bishop as well OV, would be surprised to see Reed beat out Woods (but who knows).
I always expect 1-2 roster surprises coming out of camp.

jerrym
05-06-2018, 06:34 PM
I prefer Woods to Reed and Wynn to Bishop. I'm also glad you agreed to put Ball on the starter's list.

AngeloV
05-06-2018, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't be too surprised to see Wynn playing some DE this year assuming Victor Butler is out of the picture. They have 3 good Canadian DT's to rotate their if they choose to do so. I bet Reed wins the job over Woods as he is 5 years younger and IMO very similar. Also betting on Brandon Harris starting over Ford at the HB spot. Ford being very versatile in that he played multiple positions will get on the field, but IMO will not be starting.

ArgoZ
05-06-2018, 08:53 PM
Woods or Reed, future back up LB for the Tiger-Cats? One of them must get cut right?

Argo57
05-06-2018, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't be too surprised to see Wynn playing some DE this year assuming Victor Butler is out of the picture. They have 3 good Canadian DT's to rotate their if they choose to do so. I bet Reed wins the job over Woods as he is 5 years younger and IMO very similar. Also betting on Brandon Harris starting over Ford at the HB spot. Ford being very versatile in that he played multiple positions will get on the field, but IMO will not be starting.

Are you talking Bear Woods or Paul Woods at MLB?

AngeloV
05-06-2018, 09:15 PM
Woods or Reed, future back up LB for the Tiger-Cats? One of them must get cut right?

Ti-Cats aren't cutting Larry Dean to bring either of them in. Woods age and salary are his only negatives.

Are you talking Bear Woods or Paul Woods at MLB?

Paul can be mean at times, but not sure he's that mean.

Wobbler
05-06-2018, 10:57 PM
I think Brandon Harris starts at HB and has a solid year.

Also betting on Brandon Harris starting over Ford at the HB spot. Ford being very versatile in that he played multiple positions will get on the field, but IMO will not be starting.
Point(s) taken about Harris, who played well before getting hurt. Ford is small for a HB, but he just kept getting better last year and I'd like to see him on the field.

ArgoZ
05-06-2018, 11:16 PM
Ti-Cats aren't cutting Larry Dean to bring either of them in. Woods age and salary are his only negatives.

If the cut player is desperate to continue his football career, they won’t have to. It seems every year at least one player will switch sides between these two teams. This is another perfect situation.

ArgoGabe22
05-07-2018, 12:01 AM
What are the chances Butler may decide to report in time for camp?

ArgoRavi
05-07-2018, 12:06 AM
I still find it strange that Akwasi Owusu-Ansah started in the Grey Cup and during the 2017 season but remains unsigned. Josh Mitchell started the first game last year before suffering a season-ending injury. He too remains unsigned.

Rich
05-07-2018, 01:19 AM
Josh Mitchell started the first game last year before suffering a season-ending injury. He too remains unsigned.

Two devastating injuries in two seasons could be a career-ender, as promising as he was.

ArgoGabe22
05-07-2018, 12:33 PM
What are the chances Butler may decide to report in time for camp?

Butler filed his retirement papers.

Will
05-07-2018, 02:13 PM
Talking to yourself, Gabe?

Bleeds Double Blue
05-08-2018, 12:08 PM
Talking to yourself, Gabe?

Talking to yourself is perfectly fine. When you talk back.... that's when people start to move away from you on the bus.

gilthethrill
05-08-2018, 02:47 PM
Butler filed his retirement papers.

I would like to thank Victor Butler for his efforts in helping the Toronto Argonauts capture the Grey Cup last November. I wish him well in his future endeavors.

Will
05-08-2018, 04:59 PM
I would like to thank Victor Butler for his efforts in helping the Toronto Argonauts capture the Grey Cup last November. I wish him well in his future endeavors.

There is no doubt that this leaves a hole at the DE spot opposite Lemon, but I am confident that Troy Davis or Justin Tuggle can step in there and make it work. It will help that the Argos have three solid to elite guys on the line beside Davis/Tuggle in Laing, Wynn and Lemon.

gilthethrill
05-08-2018, 05:04 PM
There is no doubt that this leaves a hole at the DE spot opposite Lemon, but I am confident that Troy Davis or Justin Tuggle can step in there and make it work. It will help that the Argos have three solid to elite guys on the line beside Davis/Tuggle in Laing, Wynn and Lemon.

They also have a couple young players in Luc and Sullyman who ended the the year on the PR but were brought back. Who knows who else arrives at TC. Not a concern.

Argo57
05-08-2018, 07:19 PM

You’re too kind!

mchesher03
05-09-2018, 11:42 AM
Gabriel at OLB and Vaughn as safety? Really? I’m just surprised, love Gabriel at the safety spot.

I too would lean Wynn > Bishop as well.

Furthermore I didn’t realize Owusu-Ansah sits unsigned, I know the guy has had injury troubles but wasn’t he considered our lockdown corner?

Will
05-09-2018, 01:24 PM
I wonder if new DC Mike Archer will expect his players to be as flexible as Chamblin expected?

New2blue
05-09-2018, 03:53 PM
Have we forgotten Khalil Bass in the LB mix, especially at the wil?

https://youtu.be/qtyO0fp_AG4 2015
https://youtu.be/lkEuqTQDulM 2016

7dj83r8f78t4alf8