PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Argos Town Hall and Fan Day?

Skinny G
05-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Has anyone received an update on when (or at this point - IF) we're having a Town Hall? Considering changes in ownership/management, game day events, pricing, etc., I'm surprised we haven't heard anything. When modifying our season seats, the office folks said it was their understanding that there was going to be a Town Hall.

Looking up the details from last year, we got an email around the 3rd week of April notifying us of the Town Hall in Mid May, and that was with a later start to the season. Considering we're in Mid May now, and the season starts in 5 weeks (preseason in 3) - I'm going to guess Manning is scared to take on questions from the fan base? I'm willing to give him some benefit of the doubt, but not having a Town Hall seems like he doesn't want to answer some questions that the fans may have. I know I wanted to pose the question of us doing our own tailgate in the BMO parking lot (in a well behaved manner of course, like what occurs in other cities)...

Also, what about Fan Day this Year? Again, with training camp starting soon, there's been no communication about this either.

R.J
05-12-2018, 02:38 PM
I'm hoping we don't have a Town Hall this year, as I have a gut feeling it'll become all about fans complaining about losing the tailgate.

Fan day is usually scrimmage day, so I'm sure we'll hear something eventually.

AngeloV
05-12-2018, 03:22 PM
I've done a little digging and it looks like they will have neither this year. Definitely no town hall. Hopefully they will have a fan day, but I'm hearing unlikely.

Mightygoose
05-12-2018, 04:08 PM
I've done a little digging and it looks like they will have neither this year. Definitely no town hall. Hopefully they will have a fan day, but I'm hearing unlikely.

That disappointing, especially fan day.

Did you hear why? I'm guessing it has to do with the transition as there was neither 2 years ago under the same circumstances

ArgoGabe22
05-12-2018, 04:47 PM
Didn’t the Argos sat they would do a town hall at a later date when they announced the Commissioners visit?

AngeloV
05-12-2018, 09:27 PM
That disappointing, especially fan day.

Did you hear why? I'm guessing it has to do with the transition as there was neither 2 years ago under the same circumstances

No, but it was a very credible source who was awesome enough to respond to a pm on twitter.

Rich
05-13-2018, 02:12 AM
I'm hoping we don't have a Town Hall this year, as I have a gut feeling it'll become all about fans complaining about losing the tailgate.

I thought you said nobody cared about the tailgates? Which is it? And god forbid if some loyal customers want to give a business honest feedback. They should keep their opinions to themselves, right?

Neely2005
05-13-2018, 07:54 AM
I thought you said nobody cared about the tailgates? Which is it? And god forbid if some loyal customers want to give a business honest feedback. They should keep their opinions to themselves, right?

MLSE can do no wrong, therefore no negative feedback is warranted.

Or MLSE is new to this whole owning a professional sports franchise thing so we have to give them time.

But at least MLSE owned teams have won a lot of championships (1) During the MLSE ownership tenure.

;-)

ArgoGabe22
05-15-2018, 09:27 AM
There still might be a Town Hall. Apparently, it was just brought to Bill Manning attention.

AngeloV
05-15-2018, 11:47 AM
There still might be a Town Hall. Apparently, it was just brought to Bill Manning attention.

I don't buy that for a second. He was at the Commissioners town hall, and it was emphasized on more than 1 occasion (every time someone made an Argos specific comment rather than a league general comment) that this was not the Argos town hall and that it would be happening before the season starts.

Mightygoose
05-15-2018, 12:15 PM
If it was just brought to Manning's attention. How can they plan one properly in such short order? If they have it mid-season I'd be perfectly happy with that.

At the same, would love to know the reason why there isn't one scheduled as of now.

paulwoods13
05-15-2018, 01:01 PM
We can accuse the organization of lots of things, but it never occurring to them to have a town hall seems like a stretch. MLSE has a big communications staff and a history of catering to fans in various (off-the-field) ways. I'm still doubtful there will be a town hall -- and if not I believe it will be a deliberate decision and not something that just slipped through the cracks -- but I guess we'll see.

Scooter McCray
05-15-2018, 02:21 PM
As a STH I am appreciative of the massive price reduction but the time and effort to do this was the stroke of a pen and some keystrokes on a computer. There has been no other visible effort or communication on the off-field plans. It would be nice to see an attempt made to raise the profile and awareness of the team in some way. I would rather the team expend energy filling the stadium to go along with the 4200 STH so that our game day experience is enhanced. Rather than plan at this stage a town hall where only the diehards come. Plan one at the end of the year so it is a GC celebration of another championship. It may be too much to ask for the moon this season for a full blown business plan but nothing less than promoting the team and communicating to the market seeing as they are owned by the 2 largest media entities in Canada should be too much to ask. You may just awaken a sleeping giant.

PullTogether73
05-15-2018, 02:46 PM
As a STH I am appreciative of the massive price reduction but the time and effort to do this was the stroke of a pen and some keystrokes on a computer.

You REALLY believe that the price reduction was as simple as you describe?
No research on prices of comparable markets/teams?
No budget planning or assumptions?
Just a whim of lowering prices by $X and entering the new values in a computer?

I don't see that.

Scooter McCray
05-15-2018, 04:49 PM
You REALLY believe that the price reduction was as simple as you describe?
No research on prices of comparable markets/teams?
No budget planning or assumptions?
Just a whim of lowering prices by $X and entering the new values in a computer?

I don't see that.Yes actually I do. These studies have been done to death for multiple ownership groups and are available to them. No need to do another one. It comes down to picking a price point they are happy to live with for the time being at current attendance figures. If they draw more than last year, bonus to them on the top line.

Argocister
05-17-2018, 12:18 AM
Does TFC have a Town Hall or Fan Day? ..... seeing that the pres may just follow his processes that he has set out for TFC?

DoubleBlue_Red
05-17-2018, 08:09 AM
Does TFC have a Town Hall or Fan Day? ..... seeing that the pres may just follow his processes that he has set out for TFC?

They have had townhalls with the supporters groups in the tumultuous past - but probably not doing them now as the team has improved. I'm sure there have been various fan events at the KIA training ground.

Surely the Argos fan day will be at York again during TC.

argofan81
05-25-2018, 11:18 AM
Looks like there will be a town hall after all:

https://www.argonauts.ca/2018townhall/

AngeloV
05-25-2018, 12:05 PM
Looks like there will be a town hall after all:

https://www.argonauts.ca/2018townhall/

Thanks for posting. I just RSVP'd.

Mightygoose
05-25-2018, 12:44 PM
Glad it's up. I doubt I'll be able to make it in short notice but will RSVP if that change but I don't see there's a locker room sale afterwards

Thank you in advance for those will take notes :)

paulwoods13
05-25-2018, 02:09 PM
My predictions keep getting disproven. I'm glad the org has decided to hold a Townhall; hope I can attend.

I am now predicting the Argos will finish last with a record of 0-18.

PullTogether73
05-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Did anyone notice the logo in the picture between Popp and Trestman in the e-mail?
I don't remember seeing that before in any official Argos branding.
Possible new or alternate logo?

Edit: I'd be happy with that as the new primary logo btw. A little less white on the sail would be my only adjustment - and the words on the bottom saying "Toronto Argonauts" or "Argonauts" or "Pull Together".:D

paulwoods13
05-25-2018, 05:56 PM
Did anyone notice the logo in the picture between Popp and Trestman in the e-mail?

Interesting -- I hadn't noticed that.

I will be at the town hall and look forward to meeting up with lots of the denizens of this forum.

PullTogether73
05-25-2018, 06:22 PM
Is there a trick to RSVPing to the Town Hall?

I clicked on the RSVP link in the e-mail, which took me to a page on the Argonauts website with details about the event, but nowhere to RSVP from what I see.

Argo57
05-25-2018, 09:46 PM

Edit: I'd be happy with that as the new primary logo btw. A little less white on the sail would be my only adjustment - and the words on the bottom saying "Toronto Argonauts" or "Argonauts" or "Pull Together".:D

I like this updated boat logo!

R.J
05-25-2018, 10:05 PM

This logo ?
http://cfl.wp.uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2015/11/25145543/1994.jpg

1971GreyCup
05-25-2018, 10:21 PM
No tricks. I signed up right away, around 12 noon. I tried it again (around 10:20 pm) and still functions correctly.

PullTogether73
05-25-2018, 10:47 PM
This logo ?
http://cfl.wp.uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2015/11/25145543/1994.jpg

Not quite the same as the one in the e-mail, but similar.
The one in the e-mail is less busy and therefore "cleaner" IMO.
It should look good on the helmets and excellent on jerseys/t-shirts/hats.

R.J
05-26-2018, 10:34 AM
https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2018/05/argos-townhall-header1-1600x389.jpg

It's the same boat logo as 94.

BATKINSON001
05-26-2018, 11:03 AM
It's a good looking logo. I hope they can use it on the uniforms other official merchandise.

R.J
05-26-2018, 12:07 PM
Anyone know why they didn't end up using the '94 Boat as the primary ?
IIRC they were supposed to, but it ended up just being the secondary for a year or two.

PullTogether73
05-26-2018, 12:57 PM
https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2018/05/argos-townhall-header1-1600x389.jpg

It's the same boat logo as 94.

Anyone know why they didn't end up using the '94 Boat as the primary ?
IIRC they were supposed to, but it ended up just being the secondary for a year or two.

Yes, the actual boat in both images is the same.
The overall logos are a bit different though.
I like the simpler image of the updated version, without the Cambridge blue ripples to the side of the boat. I don't like the font for "Argonauts" on the 94 version either,but I do like the cleaner font of "Toronto" on the 94 version.

Splitting hairs on this though - I also wondered why the 94 version was used so briefly. I always thought it was a great update of the boat logo.
Really hope they go to this updated 94 version as the primary logo.
I may have to mention it at the Town Hall.:D

Mightygoose
05-26-2018, 01:24 PM
To me it looks like this boat logo is only being used for the Shipyard since that's where the town hall meeting will take place. A change from the 'brown football's boat logo.

It's the new ownership and management putting stamp on the branding just like the 'A' logo seems to fading out.

R.J
05-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Yes, the actual boat in both images is the same.
The overall logos are a bit different though.
I like the simpler image of the updated version, without the Cambridge blue ripples to the side of the boat. I don't like the font for "Argonauts" on the 94 version either,but I do like the cleaner font of "Toronto" on the 94 version.

Splitting hairs on this though - I also wondered why the 94 version was used so briefly. I always thought it was a great update of the boat logo.
Really hope they go to this updated 94 version as the primary logo.
I may have to mention it at the Town Hall.:D
I sent a email to the team showing them two different updates to the boat logo, hopefully I hear from them, as I won't be able to make the Town Hall. Which admittedly, I'm not down on, as I have a feeling it'll be a bunch of tailgate bellyaching from the vocal minority.

To me it looks like this boat logo is only being used for the Shipyard since that's where the town hall meeting will take place. A change from the 'brown football's boat logo.

It's the new ownership and management putting stamp on the branding just like the 'A' logo seems to fading out.
The '94 logo is a black, which I'm not crazy about. My eyes maybe playing tricks on me, but the 'new" one looks more oxford. If they were to go with either, it might be tricky to set the football boat on a helmet, which is why I like my avatar as a potential logo as I think it would pop on a helmet.

Will
05-27-2018, 07:22 PM
I hope the Argos have a back-up in case of inclement weather given this prognosis (https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/ontario/toronto).

Shatto
05-27-2018, 08:33 PM
Trust some individuals will post an update of what occurs. I'm not able to go, being such short notice, I was unable to change my plans.

BATKINSON001
05-28-2018, 07:46 PM
I was able to flip my work shift around so I am going to be able to go.

ArgoGabe22
05-28-2018, 09:37 PM
Can't make it and the weather not looking very good atm.

Will
05-29-2018, 07:55 AM
Can't make it and the weather not looking very good atm.

Weather Network changed the forecast again.

ArgoZ
05-29-2018, 12:24 PM
I sent a email to the team showing them two different updates to the boat logo, hopefully I hear from them, as I won't be able to make the Town Hall. Which admittedly, I'm not down on, as I have a feeling it'll be a bunch of tailgate bellyaching from the vocal minority.

The '94 logo is a black, which I'm not crazy about. My eyes maybe playing tricks on me, but the 'new" one looks more oxford. If they were to go with either, it might be tricky to set the football boat on a helmet, which is why I like my avatar as a potential logo as I think it would pop on a helmet.

There will only be one tailgate question. After Manning explains the reasoning behind the tailgate, any repeat questions will be met with “we have already answered and time to move on.”

The updated 94 logo boat is definitely Oxford Blue not black. For jerseys and helmets, it will look fine on white, but I would only change the boat to light blue (like your version) or brown and keep all the other colours intact.

R.J
05-30-2018, 03:52 PM
There will only be one tailgate question. After Manning explains the reasoning behind the tailgate, any repeat questions will be met with “we have already answered and time to move on.”
What's the over/under on how many times fans bring up the tailgate ?

Will
05-30-2018, 04:06 PM

3 1/2

AngeloV
05-30-2018, 04:06 PM

We had to submit questions on line. Perhaps the Argos were anticipating this and decided they'll only cover it once.

R.J
05-30-2018, 04:12 PM
3 1/2
LOL, I was thinking the same.

We had to submit questions on line. Perhaps the Argos were anticipating this and decided they'll only cover it once.
Yeah, I noticed that on the email link once I clicked it. Hopefully they end up only asking submitted question, but I wouldn't be surprised about an open mic period.

Will
05-30-2018, 04:17 PM

Good idea, at the commissioner's thing back in February there were a ton of questions that could've been asked more concisely (is that even a word?)

R.J
05-30-2018, 04:27 PM
Good idea, at the commissioner's thing back in February there were a ton of questions that could've been asked more concisely (is that even a word?)
Yes it is. I agree though, it took way too long for fans to get to the point of their questions.

AngeloV
05-30-2018, 04:38 PM
Yes it is. I agree though, it took way too long for fans to get to the point of their questions.

I was pretty quick with my question.

:D

Will
05-31-2018, 07:43 AM
I was pretty quick with my question.

I don't remember you even asking one.

AngeloV
05-31-2018, 09:48 AM
I don't remember you even asking one.

I asked about a policy of allowing teams to re-sign their own FA's and have a portion of the contract be excluded from the cap, which would allow teams a better chance at retaining their own FA's resulting in less player turnover.

argofan81
05-31-2018, 11:36 AM
Has anyone received a confirmation email (and/or ticket) re: their attendance for tonight's event? It did confirm my RSVP when I first submitted it but I haven't received anything else.

AngeloV
05-31-2018, 11:58 AM
Has anyone received a confirmation email (and/or ticket) re: their attendance for tonight's event? It did confirm my RSVP when I first submitted it but I haven't received anything else.

No confirmation, but I received a reminder email yesterday.

Will
05-31-2018, 01:21 PM
I asked about a policy of allowing teams to re-sign their own FA's and have a portion of the contract be excluded from the cap, which would allow teams a better chance at retaining their own FA's resulting in less player turnover.

If you say so :)

Skilz
05-31-2018, 01:33 PM
Hoping one of the die hard brethren is able to either record Audio or Video of the Town Hall today.

Looking forward to someone providing a recap to those who are unable to attend.

R.J
05-31-2018, 02:15 PM
Like the NBA's old "Larry Bird rule" ?

AngeloV
05-31-2018, 03:39 PM
Like the NBA's old "Larry Bird rule" ?

Exactly. It really makes sense.

Argos1983
05-31-2018, 05:58 PM
Any updates on whether Fan Day is going to happen as in previous years?

shayman
05-31-2018, 07:26 PM
Fan day - Yes. At Lamport during the season, which is the new official practice facility.

paulwoods13
05-31-2018, 09:37 PM
A few quick notes:

* A small version of the Burlington Teen Tour Band marched in -- love the BTTB, but it sure stung to think we used to have the Argonotes.

* First 6,500 (0r maybe 6,000 -- they gave both figures) at the home opener will get replica Gry Cup rings.

* First thing Popp and Trestman asked Manning for was a better practice/office facility, and Popp indicated he's very happy with the new BMO/Ricoh/Lamport setup.

* Manning acknowledged it will take up to 10 years to rebuild the fanbase, and he is aiming at this point to increase attendance by about 1,500 fans per game. IMO both goals are realistic given the 35 years of ownership neglect (a word Manning used himself), altho I still think it can be done in 5-7 years.

* Argos will be part of all MLSE branding, and will be making a lot of noise in the market in the next couple of weeks.

* There will be $5 beers (Bud and Bud Light) at games this season. Pre-game/Shipyard at Stanley Barracks across from BMO, starting three hours before game time.

I recorded the entire Q-and-A; will post the audio if someone suggests a simple way to do so.

ArgoGabe22
05-31-2018, 09:43 PM
3 1/2

So how many time was it brought up?

paulwoods13
05-31-2018, 09:45 PM
So how many time was it brought up?

Once, yelled out from the crowd but not acknowledged by Taylor or Manning. Couple of people took issue with the suggestion that the Shipyard was a tailgate.

Neely2005
05-31-2018, 10:01 PM
Once, yelled out from the crowd but not acknowledged by Taylor or Manning. Couple of people took issue with the suggestion that the Shipyard was a tailgate.

It was acknowledged by Taylor. He said that we were at a Tailgate now, which was met from some grumbling from the crowd.

Neely2005
05-31-2018, 10:03 PM
A few quick notes:

* A small version of the Burlington Teen Tour Band marched in -- love the BTTB, but it sure stung to think we used to have the Argonotes.

* First 6,500 (0r maybe 6,000 -- they gave both figures) at the home opener will get replica Gry Cup rings.

* First thing Popp and Trestman asked Manning for was a better practice/office facility, and Popp indicated he's very happy with the new BMO/Ricoh/Lamport setup.

* Manning acknowledged it will take up to 10 years to rebuild the fanbase, and he is aiming at this point to increase attendance by about 1,500 fans per game. IMO both goals are realistic given the 35 years of ownership neglect (a word Manning used himself), altho I still think it can be done in 5-7 years.

* Argos will be part of all MLSE branding, and will be making a lot of noise in the market in the next couple of weeks.

* There will be $5 beers (Bud and Bud Light) at games this season. Pre-game/Shipyard at Stanley Barracks across from BMO, starting three hours before game time.

I recorded the entire Q-and-A; will post the audio if someone suggests a simple way to do so.

Perhaps I misunderstood but I thought they meant that $5 beers were at the Shipyard pregames.

paulwoods13
05-31-2018, 10:08 PM
That might be what he said or meant. Hard to believe they would sell $5 beers inside stadium.

Stevoman
05-31-2018, 10:49 PM
First 6000 get replica rings??? That's a sweet door prize!

BATKINSON001
05-31-2018, 10:54 PM
I put the audio up on my youtube for those who weren't there to listen to.

https://youtu.be/ayRfRJD07_U

Edit: just saw Paul Woods' post saying he would post if a way was suggested, Paul I used Windows Movie Maker to make the video.

AngeloV
05-31-2018, 11:05 PM
That might be what he said or meant. Hard to believe they would sell $5 beers inside stadium.

Pretty sure he said it was in stadium.

1971GreyCup
06-01-2018, 06:37 AM
He returned to the stage to make sure the crowd knew $5 "in stadium" beer.

paulwoods13
06-01-2018, 07:40 AM

Edit: just saw Paul Woods' post saying he would post if a way was suggested, Paul I used Windows Movie Maker to make the video.

Thanks for posting. I thought about posting it to YouTube but wondered if there was an easy way to go audio-only. SoundCloud? In any event, moot point now and I'm glad those who weren't there can listen in.

Ron
06-01-2018, 07:59 AM
My biggest take away was the long term thinking the ownership has. They are targeting a 1500 increase in fan support for 2018 as a win. So now all the weekly attendance bitching and moaning can stop. YaY!!

macspectrum
06-01-2018, 08:06 AM

thx for posting audio

please email me if u post video

thx

Argos1983
06-01-2018, 10:00 AM

I would hope that STH would be guaranteed to get one of these --- you know for supporting the team for the whole season and all.....ha ha ha.....

BATKINSON001
06-01-2018, 10:46 AM
thx for posting audio

please email me if u post video

thx

I wasn't able to record the video of the event. I couldn't find a spot to prop up the phone to record at a good angle, the best seats/tables were taken. Hopefully others were able to get the video.

AngeloV
06-01-2018, 10:51 AM

I would hope that STH would be guaranteed to get one of these --- you know for supporting the team for the whole season and all.....ha ha ha.....

I think they are really trying to promote the Shipyard pre game to try and help some forget about the tailgates being gone. Below tweet today from the MLSE PR implied the replicas will be given out at the Shipyard, but agree with Argos1983, ST holders should get these, and hopefully it will be this years gift.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">OFFICIAL: The first 6,500 fans in attendance at <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TorontoArgos</a>’ season opener Rally at the Shipyards on June 23 will receive a replica <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GreyCup?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GreyCup</a> championship ring. 🚨💍🏈<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PullTogether?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PullTogether</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFLKickoff?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CFLKickoff</a> <a href="https://t.co/rm56BboSFM">pic.twitter.com/rm56BboSFM</a></p>&mdash; MLSE PR (@MLSEPR) <a href="https://twitter.com/MLSEPR/status/1002354170655993856?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 1, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

paulwoods13
06-01-2018, 11:20 AM
There is no chance they can squeeze 6,500 into the Stanley Barracks space if it's configured like it was last night. And how could they control people leaving and returning? I have to believe that the rings will be distributed entering the stadium.

AngeloV
06-01-2018, 11:50 AM
There is no chance they can squeeze 6,500 into the Stanley Barracks space if it's configured like it was last night. And how could they control people leaving and returning? I have to believe that the rings will be distributed entering the stadium.

I agree, but I'm just going on what they tweeted.

R.J
06-01-2018, 11:57 AM
The replica rings are not a STH gift, so I'm not sure why some believe STH are entitled to it.

Bleeds Double Blue
06-01-2018, 12:04 PM
I am not a STH and sadly due to health reasons won't be able to attend the home opener but I agree that it would be a nice gesture to ensure STH are presented with these rings. Personally I would kill to have one.

Jumbo
06-01-2018, 01:07 PM
I am not a STH and sadly due to health reasons won't be able to attend the home opener but I agree that it would be a nice gesture to ensure STH are presented with these rings. Personally I would kill to have one.

I'll be going to the game but will be trying to tailgate with the group organizing on Facebook. If you private message me before the game to remind me, I'll try to pop over to the shipyard and pick up a ring. No guarantees, but If I get one, you can have mine.

Neely2005
06-01-2018, 11:16 PM
The replica rings are not a STH gift, so I'm not sure why some believe STH are entitled to it.

Neither were the Bobbleheads last season but they made sure that every season ticket holder got one per season ticket.

Shatto
06-02-2018, 12:40 AM
I wish the administration would stop implying that the Shipyard is a tailgating experience. It is a pre game pep rally where one can buy food and drinks and there will be some entertainment. Manning states that the Shipyard rallies can be an important part of those traditions for families to celebrate the team. We had a popular and developing pre-game family tradition called tailgating but the powers that be, decided to scrap it in favour of a team managed pep rally. Perhaps a questionnaire to STH's asking which they would prefer, would have been nice but I suspect the answer would not have been what management wanted.

We must accept that Manning has pulled to plug on an event enjoyed by hundreds and give the Shipyard a chance. It certainly is better than nothing and regretfully we have to accept the decision of the new administration.

The new game presentations developed in conjunction with the game operation departments of the Maple Leafs, Raptors and TFC sounds intriguing. Will be interesting to see what these "presentation elements" will be.

R.J
06-02-2018, 01:04 AM
Neither were the Bobbleheads last season but they made sure that every season ticket holder got one per season ticket.

Yes they did, but that doesn't mean they will every time there's a gift or promotion. The only things fans should feel entitled to is what's listed on the STH benefits. The sense of entitlement here is ridiculously high.

Argos1983
06-02-2018, 01:06 AM

Exactly -- the same type of thing would be a nice gesture to STH as a sign that being a STH carries some extra benefit or value (other than the bobblehead, what major giveaway was there last year? - it was the one giveaway that mattered and they rightly made sure their STH got one; I would surmise that the ring is this years "big" giveaway; how many STH's are there anyways?, it's not like that number is too big to begin with)......it's the little things that make someone feel that they are getting value for their commitment to the team, and this team especially needs to make sure they get the little things right with their STH base, as well as the big things.....other than cheaper tickets because a STH is buying in bulk, the other ST benefits are nothing overwhelming in my opinion, especially for a team trying to really generate long term commitment to a franchise that is struggling to sell seats off of a Championship season, and that has recently moved into a "new venue" - two things that would normally cause a big increase in ST being sold.....

(FYI - The Jays at their peak in 1992-1993 gave all of their STH (close to 20-25K!) a replica ring after winning the World Series (I know as I still have mine!) --- it was not a giveaway, it was a Thank You for being a STH (how much can these trinkets cost anyways, its not exactly real precious metal or real jewels anyways) --- it's simply the right thing to do....I'm hoping TFC will do the same if they ever get around to it....(yikes!))

PullTogether73
06-02-2018, 01:35 AM
I have to admit, I will be very disappointed if I do not get one of the replica rings while some collectibles trader gets one (or more) to sell like currency.
:biteme:

Argos1983
06-02-2018, 01:42 AM
I have to admit, I will be very disappointed if I do not get one of the replica rings while some collectibles trader gets one (or more) to sell like currency.
:biteme:

I guarantee these will be on Ebay or kijiji right after the game.....or even during it.....every Blue Jays bobblehead day has people selling the things in stadium that day within minutes of them getting it.....

R.J
06-02-2018, 01:53 AM
:biteme:I'd like one too, but I don't feel I'm entitled to it. Maybe they should make it the STH gift - admittedly I much rather enjoyed the Flutie bobblehead over the STH blanket I got. The Toronto Rock have a bobblehead night every year.

Neely2005
06-02-2018, 09:19 AM
I wish the administration would stop implying that the Shipyard is a tailgating experience. It is a pre game pep rally where one can buy food and drinks and there will be some entertainment. Manning states that the Shipyard rallies can be an important part of those traditions for families to celebrate the team. We had a popular and developing pre-game family tradition called tailgating but the powers that be, decided to scrap it in favour of a team managed pep rally. Perhaps a questionnaire to STH's asking which they would prefer, would have been nice but I suspect the answer would not have been what management wanted.

We must accept that Manning has pulled to plug on an event enjoyed by hundreds and give the Shipyard a chance. It certainly is better than nothing and regretfully we have to accept the decision of the new administration.

The new game presentations developed in conjunction with the game operation departments of the Maple Leafs, Raptors and TFC sounds intriguing. Will be interesting to see what these "presentation elements" will be.

Agreed. Own your decision and move on. The pandering is insulting, everyone knows that the Shipyard is Not a Tailgate. Don't insult our intelligence by trying to suggest otherwise.

Neely2005
06-02-2018, 09:30 AM
Yes they did, but that doesn't mean they will every time there's a gift or promotion. The only things fans should feel entitled to is what's listed on the STH benefits. The sense of entitlement here is ridiculously high.

Perhaps I missed it but where did any season ticket holders say on this site that they expected to get one? I've only seen people asking If season ticket holders will get one. Not sure how that's entitlement?

R.J
06-02-2018, 01:49 PM
For anyone interested, I've been told that MLSE is legitimately looking into a boat logo as the Primary, and that the digital team will be heading up the design phase.

PullTogether73
06-02-2018, 01:58 PM
For anyone interested, I've been told that MLSE is legitimately looking into a boat logo as the Primary, and that the digital team will be heading up the design phase.

Did this come up at the Town Hall at all btw?

Good to hear this news though.

timlb01
06-03-2018, 08:49 AM

I hope the boat logo comes back next year. This would make me so happy. Never been thrilled since it went away in 1989. Clean it up and make it modern and it will be a massive hit.

Will
06-03-2018, 08:01 PM

I don't have a huge issue with this--as long as it's tweaked a little bit.

Argo57
06-03-2018, 08:28 PM
I hope the boat logo comes back next year. This would make me so happy. Never been thrilled since it went away in 1989. Clean it up and make it modern and it will be a massive hit.

I loved the boat logo from the 1980’s but I think it should be updated.
TBH I also like the current logo as well.

doubleblue
06-03-2018, 09:00 PM
I loved the boat logo from the 1980’s but I think it should be updated.
TBH I also like the current logo as well.

I'm a boat fan. Maybe it doesn't have to be exactly the same as the 80's. I thought the Argos uni's looked pretty sharp the other night in Hamilton too.

R.J
06-03-2018, 09:05 PM
I don't have a huge issue with this--as long as it's tweaked a little bit.
I wasn't given much detail, but from the sound of it, it'd be something new or a modernization. They may just stay with the shield, who knows, as of right now there's just some discussion, and they're at least willing to see different designs at this point.

macspectrum
06-03-2018, 09:42 PM

i like the big 'A' by itself
signifies excellence !

PullTogether73
06-04-2018, 12:45 AM
i like the big 'A' by itself
signifies excellence !

Ugh.
The logo for the illiterate and unimaginative.

(FYI, I say the same about all the U.S. colleges who are beholden to their historical tradition of using the school name's initial as a logo.):p

rdavies
06-04-2018, 08:37 AM
Ugh. The logo for the illiterate and unimaginative.Really?

paulwoods13
06-04-2018, 08:48 AM
IMO the worst possible decision (other than resurrecting the 1989-90 Argos logo) would be to go back to an unadorned A. Either stay with the current A embedded in a shield, or go back to the classic boat logo or some variation of it, or even bring back the 1995-2004 Jason logo but with the correct colours. Just don't go back to a plain A.

rdavies
06-04-2018, 09:04 AM
Either stay with the current A embedded in a shield, or go back to the classic boat logo or some variation of it, or even bring back the 1995-2004 Jason logo but with the correct colours. Just don't go back to a plain A.I'd rather have the A than the Jason or present shield logo. I thought the shield was a porthole.

I don't think I've seen too many posts that object to some form of the boat.

Brian45
06-04-2018, 08:15 PM
Back to the important issues - beer price at The Shipyard? And is the $5 beer IN BMO Field confirmed?

paulwoods13
06-05-2018, 08:53 AM
Back to the important issues - beer price at The Shipyard? And is the $5 beer IN BMO Field confirmed?

Prices at the TH (which I assume will be in effect at Shipyard all season -- signage looked permanent) were $5 for Bud and Bud Light, $8 for tall cans and coolers.

argofan81
06-05-2018, 11:22 AM

I was talking to an Argo ticket rep on the GO Train on my way home from the Town Hall and as of now, he said that the plan is to sell $5 beer at both The Shipyard and inside BMO Field. The $5 beers inside BMO Field could change however, since he indicated that there has been some resistance to having different in-stadium pricing schemes for Argo and TFC games.

AngeloV
06-05-2018, 11:27 AM
I was talking to an Argo ticket rep on the GO Train on my way home from the Town Hall and as of now, he said that the plan is to sell $5 beer at both The Shipyard and inside BMO Field. The $5 beers inside BMO Field could change however, since he indicated that there has been some resistance to having different in-stadium pricing schemes for Argo and TFC games.

It would look pretty bad if beer ended up costing less than soft drinks, that's for sure.

Neely2005
06-05-2018, 12:52 PM
It would look pretty bad if beer ended up costing less than soft drinks, that's for sure.

Why? Beer and wine is cheaper than Coca-Cola in most parts of the world. It's Ontario that has a backwards attitude about alcohol.

AngeloV
06-05-2018, 01:38 PM
Why? Beer and wine is cheaper than Coca-Cola in most parts of the world. It's Ontario that has a backwards attitude about alcohol.

Think before you respond. You can get 24 cans of soft drinks for $7. Not even in the US can you do that with Beer.

R.J
06-05-2018, 01:59 PM
Think before you respond. You can get 24 cans of soft drinks for $7. Not even in the US can you do that with Beer.
While I agree; some places in Europe, it's the opposite. In Terceira, Portugal (island my parents were born) it's 1 euro for a beer, and about 3 euros for a bottle of coke (the old glass bottles we rarely see here nowadays). Likewise in Zurich, Switzerland.

AngeloV
06-05-2018, 02:08 PM
While I agree; some places in Europe, it's the opposite. In Terceira, Portugal (island my parents were born) it's 1 euro for a beer, and about 3 euros for a bottle of coke (the old class bottles we really see here nowadays). Likewise in Zurich, Switzerland.

Probably because of the difference in locally made vs imported. Fact is, he said it was only Ontario where Beer cost more than soda, which is an outright lie. Not to mention IMO what a bad signal they are sending by promoting the consumption of alcohol.

R.J
06-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Probably because of the difference in locally made vs imported. Fact is, he said it was only Ontario where Beer cost more than soda, which is an outright lie. Not to mention IMO what a bad signal they are sending by promoting the consumption of alcohol.
I'd be more concerned with the potential heat they'll take from TFC, Raptors, Leafs, Marlies, and Rock fans; where beer at Scotibank Arena, Ricoh, and BMO for TFC games sure ain't $5.

Brian45
06-05-2018, 03:39 PM
It shouldn't matter. Argos games aren't TFC games and likewise. It would be like saying the ticket prices had to be the same as TFC. $5 beer in the stadium would be great even if it were just in a specific area or two

ArgoGabe22
06-05-2018, 04:04 PM
I'd be more concerned with the potential heat they'll take from TFC, Raptors, Leafs, Marlies, and Rock fans; where beer at Scotibank Arena, Ricoh, and BMO for TFC games sure ain't $5.

If they want $5 beers, they are all welcome to attend. :)

R.J
06-05-2018, 04:05 PM
It shouldn't matter. Argos games aren't TFC games and likewise. It would be like saying the ticket prices had to be the same as TFC. $5 beer in the stadium would be great even if it were just in a specific area or two
You do realize that a big part of the reason Argos ticket prices dropped was because Manning felt they should be more in line with TFC's, right ?

R.J
06-05-2018, 04:05 PM
If they want $5 beers, they are all welcome to attend. :)
lol
True enough.

AngeloV
06-05-2018, 04:26 PM
You do realize that a big part of the reason Argos ticket prices dropped was because Manning felt they should be more in line with TFC's, right ?

Well, that's what he said anyways. If they were selling out, I don't think he'd give a rat's ass whether they were in line or not.

R.J
06-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Well, that's what he said anyways. If they were selling out, I don't think he'd give a rat's ass whether they were in line or not.
Of course. Add in that the Raptors and TFC in 2012/2013 dropped their tickets prices from 15-30% (Raps), and back to year one prices (TFC) due to concerns over sales. Meanwhile, the Leafs either stay the same for a couple of years or go up. But, considering how well TFC sells, and the fact that quite a few around here continually brought up the amount of price points and price points in certain areas - I think Manning and the MLSE Executive/Leadership team saw that something was a miss around here.

Brian45
06-05-2018, 07:43 PM
I have TFC tickets. People now forget how lean some seasons were. Fans were disappearing rapidly. That's why prices were rolled back. Glad Argos are doing the same. This is a total rebuild so gotta start with making tickets a fair price....and beers! 🍻

LLB997
06-05-2018, 09:54 PM
Excellence starts with an E........ Ya like you , i really liked the 2010 i think A helmets with the dark blue jerseys.

Neely2005
06-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Probably because of the difference in locally made vs imported. Fact is, he said it was only Ontario where Beer cost more than soda, which is an outright lie.Not to mention IMO what a bad signal they are sending by promoting the consumption of alcohol.

Please show me where I said that it was only Ontario where Beer costs more than soda? Before you insult someone by calling them a liar you should probably read what they actually said.

Neely2005
06-05-2018, 10:07 PM
While I agree; some places in Europe, it's the opposite. In Terceira, Portugal (island my parents were born) it's 1 euro for a beer, and about 3 euros for a bottle of coke (the old glass bottles we rarely see here nowadays). Likewise in Zurich, Switzerland.

Many places outside of North America are like this. Beer is cheaper than Coca-Cola and wine is cheaper than beer.

Flutie
06-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Many places outside of North America are like this. Beer is cheaper than Coca-Cola and wine is cheaper than beer.

Don't know about that, but a few weeks ago we were in the Buffalo area and I picked up a 30 Pack of Labatts Blue Light cans at Walmart - sale price $18.76 US
It's not just about taxes, we still have some crazy laws on our books, they have a law that dictates that beer in cans MUST be priced much higher than beer in bottles.
Most people will go to the beer store and buy beer in bottles because of the price.
Why do you think that in the US it makes no difference if you pick up a case of beer in bottles or cans.
In Canada it's about protecting the glass industry in Quebec, Ontario gets to make the pop cans and Quebec gets the beer bottles.
There is also a law which states that beer can not be sold anywhere in Canada for less than $24 a case, they review it every few years, we don't want people buying cheap beer and getting drunk. So much power by the "Control" board.

Getting off topic with my rant but looking forward to the Shipyards party this season

DoubleBlue_Red
06-06-2018, 08:38 AM
I have TFC tickets. People now forget how lean some seasons were. Fans were disappearing rapidly. That's why prices were rolled back. Glad Argos are doing the same. This is a total rebuild so gotta start with making tickets a fair price....and beers! 

It's true they almost killed the golden goose - a lot of people were pissed about the price increase when the team had yet to make the playoffs. I think $5 beers and filling the 2 lower bowls will help the Argos cause.

paulwoods13
06-06-2018, 08:42 AM
Excellence starts with an E........ Ya like you , i really liked the 2010 i think A helmets with the dark blue jerseys.

No disrespect intended, but that was IMO the worst look in the team's history. They were transformed into the Single Blue, with no Cambridge Blue to be found anywhere on the uni. The jerseys, with no striping of any kind, may as well have been practice jerseys. And the A on the helmet was plain. Yuck.

AngeloV
06-06-2018, 09:12 AM
No idea why my last rebuttal to Neely re: Ontario beer price vs soft drink price was removed, but seriously, if my posts that aren't derogatory in any way are going to be removed, I'm done here.

R.J
06-06-2018, 05:22 PM
There's a banner image of the replica rings up on argonauts.ca for anyone interested.

Neely2005
06-06-2018, 07:30 PM
Don't know about that, but a few weeks ago we were in the Buffalo area and I picked up a 30 Pack of Labatts Blue Light cans at Walmart - sale price $18.76 US
It's not just about taxes, we still have some crazy laws on our books, they have a law that dictates that beer in cans MUST be priced much higher than beer in bottles.
Most people will go to the beer store and buy beer in bottles because of the price.
Why do you think that in the US it makes no difference if you pick up a case of beer in bottles or cans.
In Canada it's about protecting the glass industry in Quebec, Ontario gets to make the pop cans and Quebec gets the beer bottles.
There is also a law which states that beer can not be sold anywhere in Canada for less than $24 a case, they review it every few years, we don't want people buying cheap beer and getting drunk. So much power by the "Control" board.

Getting off topic with my rant but looking forward to the Shipyards party this season
The Ontario government raised the minimum price for 24 bottles years back so it hasn't been $24 for 24 for many years. The only reason that I know this is because apparently one of Doug Ford's campaign promises is to lower the minimum back to $24 for 24.

jerrym
06-06-2018, 08:20 PM
The Ontario government raised the minimum price for 24 bottles years back so it hasn't been $24 for 24 for many years. The only reason that I know this is because apparently one of Rob Ford's campaign promises is to lower the minimum back to $24 for 24.

I think you are referring to Doug (not Rob) Ford's Buck a Beer campaign, although I'm sure Rob would have taken full advantage of that price if he were here.

Neely2005
06-07-2018, 09:16 AM
I think you are referring to Doug (not Rob) Ford's Buck a Beer campaign, although I'm sure Rob would have taken full advantage of that price if he were here.

Correct, I have edited my post.

Flutie
06-07-2018, 09:45 AM
The Ontario government raised the minimum price for 24 bottles years back so it hasn't been $24 for 24 for many years. The only reason that I know this is because apparently one of Doug Ford's campaign promises is to lower the minimum back to $24 for 24.

I thought it might be a federal law, when I lived in Ottawa people used to go across to Gatineau to buy their beer at a Dapanneur for $24 for a 24.
They had a story in the Ottawa Sun about it and the Dapanneur owner said that he would like to sell beer at less than $24 but he couldn't by law, so it could be a Quebec law too or a federal law.
It's funny that the government can investigate and charge private businesses with price fixing and monopolies but when it comes to beer, alchol and wine, the government can set prices and be the monopoly, no one else can open a liquor store or beer store.

Neely2005
06-23-2018, 08:29 PM

Anyone find the $5 in stadium beer yet? Everywhere that I see is the usual stadium rip off prices.

BATKINSON001
06-23-2018, 08:30 PM
Anyone find the $5 in stadium beer yet? Everywhere that I see is the usual stadium rip off prices.downstairs by gate 3b

Neely2005
06-23-2018, 09:00 PM
downstairs by gate 3b

Thank you.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8