PDA

View Full Version : Canadian QB Michael O'Connor to attend Argo TC

jerrym
05-13-2018, 12:19 AM
UBC QB Michael O'Connor, one of the best Canadian QBs in years, will be attending Argo TC as part of the CFL internship program. He will enter the 2019 draft. Learning from Ray and Calvillo should be a big assist to his development.

The Ottawa native has prototypical quarterback size: six-foot-five, 225 pounds. O’Connor threw 51 touchdown passes in Grade 10 at Ashbury College, attended Baylor School in Chattanooga, Tennessee and moved on to play at IMG Academy in Florida under the tutelage of Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Chris Weinke, leading them to an 8-2 record in 2013 throwing for 1,804 yards and 18 touchdowns in 10 games. He was the No. 6 ranked high school quarterback by ESPN and played in the Under Armour All-American Game, the only Canadian prospect to be invited that year. ...
Strong play wherever O’Connor suited up earned him a scholarship to Penn State. Bill O’Brien, who spent time as Tom Brady’s quarterback’s coach and offensive coordinator with the New England Patriots, recruited O’Connor and wanted him to play in his pro-style offence. But before O’Connor arrived on campus, O’Brien left the Nittany Lions to accept the Houston Texans head coaching job. ...

Despite O’Connor going 11-for-16 for 81 yards in Penn State’s spring game, he redshirted in 2014 and then transferred to the University of British Columbia. Year one with the Thunderbirds saw O’Connor light up defences while leading the team to a National Championship in 2015.
“Good size, tough and stands in there, poised and calm, he can move around in the pocket and create with his feet. He could still improve his arm strength. Draftable quarterback prospect,” a football executive said.
"He’s just as good as some third-string quarterbacks in our league,” a CFL assistant general manager said. ...

Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon believes O’Connor could play in the NFL.

http://3downnation.com/2018/05/09/michael-oconnor/

(http://3downnation.com/2018/05/09/michael-oconnor/)

doubleblue
05-13-2018, 10:06 AM
I would be more excited if it were O'Connor coming in to camp signed instead of Picton. He might be the next Canadian QB with a chance to play in the CFL. Ricky won't have to throw a lot in training camp with all the arms available.

Bleeds Double Blue
05-13-2018, 12:53 PM
I thought he might wind up in the Lions camp simply for logistical reasons but glad that the Argos will get a close up look at him instead. I go to UBC games occasionally and he's the real deal.

Flutie
05-15-2018, 03:20 PM
I would be more excited if it were O'Connor coming in to camp signed instead of Picton. He might be the next Canadian QB with a chance to play in the CFL. Ricky won't have to throw a lot in training camp with all the arms available.

It will be good experience for O'Connor, he's got another year at UBC. I think he has more potential than Picton, he has the size and the experience.
I will be curious to see how they perform under fire at a camp. How do they react to the faster pro-defenses. Can Picton take a hit? is he big enough for the CFL?

jerrym
05-26-2018, 02:48 PM
How did O'Connor look?

O’Connor was working out alongside Ricky Ray, Dakota Prukop, Noah Picton, McLeod Bethel-Thompson and James Franklin on Friday.

http://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/even-with-bear-woods-sidelined-argos-have-options-aplenty-on-defence

OV Argo
05-26-2018, 07:09 PM
We'll see if O'Connor or Merchant (Western) - both pro plus size QBs and former Vanier winners - get even CFL drafted OR a serious look to compete in a CFL TC next year for a team in QB need. Any bets there?

ArgoRavi
05-26-2018, 11:50 PM
We'll see if O'Connor or Merchant (Western) - both pro plus size QBs and former Vanier winners - get even CFL drafted OR a serious look to compete in a CFL TC next year for a team in QB need. Any bets there?

I expect that O'Connor will be drafted.

R.J
06-06-2018, 02:14 PM
I like what I've seen from O'Connor at UBC. He maybe the guy who finally becomes an everyday starter, although I think Bridge will get a shot eventually.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8