PDA

View Full Version : Any specific areas of concern?

Will
05-23-2018, 10:14 PM
I have a few:

1) Depth on the OL (Deane retirement, Watman release)
2) Kicking Game
3) Receivers beyond Green, Edwards and Coombs

Argo57
05-23-2018, 10:33 PM
1) Swayze Waters
2) Defensive chemistry (New DC and revamped secondary)
3) O-Line and QB protection
4) Replacing Posey

Will
05-23-2018, 10:35 PM
Regarding 2)

We talked about that on the fancast tonight whether Mike Archer taking over might cause any issues.

My thinking that there are enough veterans on that D that would help smooth the transition and that we generally trust Popp/Trestman to make informed decisions when it comes to composition of their staff.

The kicking game did come up as well.

Argo57
05-23-2018, 10:56 PM
Regarding 2)

We talked about that on the fancast tonight whether Mike Archer taking over might cause any issues.

My thinking that there are enough veterans on that D that would help smooth the transition and that we generally trust Popp/Trestman to make informed decisions when it comes to composition of their staff.

I think Popp has done a nice job in replacing departed DB’s but you never know how they will gel as a unit?

PullTogether73
05-24-2018, 12:01 AM
1. Kicking game.
2. Handling increased expectations after improving the roster over last year's Grey Cup winning team.

New2blue
05-24-2018, 10:49 AM
Regarding 2)

Where can I find this fancast you speak of?

Will
05-24-2018, 11:06 AM
Where can I find this fancast you speak of?

This week's episode has not been posted yet, but you can find previous episodes here (https://soundcloud.com/user-378627766). We are also on iTunes.

R.J
05-24-2018, 11:39 AM
#1. Defense - Archer's a new DC, and we've lost some vets.
#2. Kicking - Swayze Waters....... enough said. (At least Pfeffer's still around lol)
#3. Offensive Line - A concern for me every year, and IMO Popp hasn't done anything in the last 2 drafts to ease my concern. (Although we do have Himebauch, which can't be overlooked)

AngeloV
05-24-2018, 11:54 AM
#1. Defense - Archer's a new DC, and we've lost some vets.
#2. Kicking - Swayze Waters....... enough said. (At least Pfeffer's still around lol)
#3. Offensive Line - A concern for me every year, and IMO Popp hasn't done anything in the last 2 drafts to ease my concern. (Although we do have Himebauch, which can't be overlooked)

Not as worried about the O-line. As you mentioned, Himebaugh being the key, but also what can't be overlooked is how much better the line looked after Wilder took over as the starting back. The threat of that game breaker out of the backfield meant defences couldn't just pin their ears back and come after Ray. It made a huge difference, and IMO the main reason the Argos won 7 of their last 9 including the big ones.

New2blue
05-24-2018, 12:21 PM
This week's episode has not been posted yet, but you can find previous episodes here (https://soundcloud.com/user-378627766). We are also on iTunes.

Hey thank you!!!

Wobbler
05-24-2018, 01:11 PM
We still need to find (or demonstrate that we have already found) a rush end to complement Lemon. That, like the items mentioned above, are hopefully things that will be sorted out in camp. I'm not *concerned* about any of them yet.

paulwoods13
05-24-2018, 02:09 PM
My biggest concern is NAT depth on the o-line. I think both Campbell and Kolankowski are ready to step in if needed, but Sackey remains a mystery for now, and Gill is likely a two-year project. Losing a NAT starter on the line would test us a lot. I have a lot of faith in Himebauch's ability to coach the kids up but there would likely be a dropoff in production if we lost VZ or Holmes, and a big dropoff if we lost McEwen.

I am not worried about Waters -- I expect our kicking game will be at least as good as it was last year. It's unfortunate we have to save one of our DI positions for a kicker, but Waters doesn't represent a big dropoff from Hajrillahu IMO.

We'll find replacements for Butler and Posey from the new recruits or returning vets playing bigger roles. I hated to lose Murray, but Heath and Yell are good additions, and I expect Ford, Harris and Darby to take steps up in their second year.

Shatto
05-24-2018, 02:19 PM
At Sunday's TC, we noticed Harris was not on the field or sidelines. Just looking up the roster a few minutes ago-- did not see his name listed. Anyone have any information what the story is?

doubleblue
05-24-2018, 02:23 PM
I like Swayze, but how soon before he pulls a quad muscle practicing his punting.

gilthethrill
05-24-2018, 02:39 PM
At Sunday's TC, we noticed Harris was not on the field or sidelines. Just looking up the roster a few minutes ago-- did not see his name listed. Anyone have any information what the story is?

Interesting. You would think the team would release something about Harris being absent.

jerrym
05-24-2018, 03:12 PM
Swayze Waters - you always have to wonder what you are going to get or whether you will get anything at all because of injury.

R.J
05-24-2018, 04:10 PM
I like Swayze, but soon before he pulls a quad muscle practicing his punting.

Swayze Waters - you always have to wonder what you are going to get or whether you will get anything at all because of injury.
It's not even just the injuries that concern me with Waters, it's that he's only had 1 solid year of kicking in 5. I'm actually shocked that he keeps getting signed.

OV Argo
05-24-2018, 07:44 PM
Defensive end to replace Butler - Beltre or Davis (hasn't impressed me in the slightest) or a converted linebacker might be good enough, or might not; too bad a top 20 draft pick like Foster seems to be a write-off there with little chance to compete for playing time? Note to the D decision makers - top Canadian talent at DE - like Capicciotti, Kwaku Boateng,Trent Corney or David Menard are often better options than pencilling-in whatever import based on their passport.

MLB if Taylor Reed "wins" the job (and because he is cheaper than Woods) - guy couldn't stick with 3 CFL teams now for a reason; hopefully Plummer gets the nod if Woods is on the outs.

Waters maybe a slight concern - if his FG accuracy is iffy again; he is no worry as a punter IMO; but if he struggles at FG kicking - give Pfeffer or somebody else a look and go with 2 kickers - always smarter than relying on one guy to do both jobs.

Receiver - 2 spots behind solid guys in Green, Edwards & Coombs; TC competition should be able to come up with 2 more good ones - but Fuller did not pan out after getting handed the job last season.

Declan Cross not being used more than last year - he earned it and showed what a force he, and the H-back position, can be.

ArgoRavi
05-24-2018, 11:26 PM
MLB if Taylor Reed "wins" the job (and because he is cheaper than Woods) - guy couldn't stick with 3 CFL teams now for a reason;

The same concern could be expressed about Henoc Muamba.

Shatto
05-24-2018, 11:36 PM
IMO, Tuggle has shown the potential to be an excellent DE. He started 7 games last year and had good stats, including 3 tackle for loss, 3 sacks and 9 QB pressures during that time. He started 11 games in the NFL over 3 years.

Originally, he was a QB in college and did not switch to LB till his junior year. He has good size and 4.8 speed. Unfortunately for him he was a tweener in the NFL--not really a DE and not really an OLB but he is hugely athletic. He also has good genes as his father was a 5 time pro bowler in the NFL at LB

The competition should be between Tuggle and Beltre . Tuggle has the far better NFL resume and his stats in the CFL have been better than Beltre's but whoever wins the spot between these two, the team should have a very effective DE. In all likelihood both could make the team, because, as we saw last year both of our original starting DE's went down with injuries during the season.

AngeloV
05-25-2018, 12:07 PM
IMO, Tuggle has shown the potential to be an excellent DE. He started 7 games last year and had good stats, including 3 tackle for loss, 3 sacks and 9 QB pressures during that time. He started 11 games in the NFL over 3 years.

Originally, he was a QB in college and did not switch to LB till his junior year. He has good size and 4.8 speed. Unfortunately for him he was a tweener in the NFL--not really a DE and not really an OLB but he is hugely athletic. He also has good genes as his father was a 5 time pro bowler in the NFL at LB

The competition should be between Tuggle and Beltre . Tuggle has the far better NFL resume and his stats in the CFL have been better than Beltre's but whoever wins the spot between these two, the team should have a very effective DE. In all likelihood both could make the team, because, as we saw last year both of our original starting DE's went down with injuries during the season.

Agree on Tuggle. I'd be good with a rotation at the 2 spots with him, Lemon and Beltrae.

AngeloV
05-25-2018, 12:08 PM

Oh no you didn't. LOL.

jerrym
05-25-2018, 12:50 PM

It's not even just the injuries that concern me with Waters, it's that he's only had 1 solid year of kicking in 5. I'm actually shocked that he keeps getting signed.

That's exactly what I meant by putting the word "or" in my statement.

OV Argo
05-25-2018, 06:36 PM

If you're seriously trying to compare the MLB talent of a mediocre like Reed to Henoc Muamba, then lets not bother to try and discuss linebackers anymore; Muamba was let go by a couple of CFL teams because they decided they couldn't afford to pay pretty decent bucks to a Canadian at the position - in their usual quest to field 7 only NIs; the Bummers were willing to pay big bucks to an import like Bighill however (and i would have there too because the guy is a superb talent in an area of need).

7dj83r8f78t4alf8