PDA

View Full Version : Why did Gilbert Renfroe regress so badly in 1989?

Will
05-23-2018, 10:40 PM
Renfroe was a promising QB in 1987, threw for over 4,000 yards in 1988 and then regressed in 1989 throwing 1 TD and 13 interceptions and was, I believe, released during the season. Why did he regress so badly from 1987 to 1988? Was it an injury that limited his skill set, clashing with Bob O'Billovich or other teams just figuring him out?

ArgoGabe22
05-23-2018, 11:38 PM
Sorry to derail this thread but I often wonder what happened to Dan Feraday?

AngeloV
05-24-2018, 11:11 AM
Renfroe was a promising QB in 1987, threw for over 4,000 yards in 1988 and then regressed in 1989 throwing 1 TD and 13 interceptions and was, I believe, released during the season. Why did he regress so badly from 1987 to 1988? Was it an injury that limited his skill set, clashing with Bob O'Billovich or other teams just figuring him out?

Renfroe had a couple of knee injuries which really took away his mobility. He was a good pocket passer but the ability to move made him better.

gilthethrill
05-24-2018, 11:41 AM
Sorry to derail this thread but I often wonder what happened to Dan Feraday?

Dan Faraday was drafted in the 12th round of the NFL draft in 1982 I believe. After his release from the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL, he attended the camp of the Cincinnati Bengals, who were coached by Forrest Gregg. Feraday appeared on the final preseason game that year and completed his only pass for 18 yards. He was released at final cut down.

I believe he went on to serve as a Constable in the Metro Toronto Police Service after his football career.

ArgoGabe22
05-24-2018, 12:18 PM
Dan Faraday was drafted in the 12th round of the NFL draft in 1982 I believe. After his release from the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL, he attended the camp of the Cincinnati Bengals, who were coached by Forrest Gregg. Feraday appeared on the final preseason game that year and completed his only pass for 18 yards. He was released at final cut down.

I believe he went on to serve as a Constable in the Metro Toronto Police Service after his football career.

But I wonder why he couldn't then stick with the Roughriders.

gilthethrill
05-24-2018, 01:12 PM

Sorry Gabe, I was unaware of Feradays affiliation with the Roughriders.

ArgoRavi
05-24-2018, 11:20 PM
Renfroe had a couple of knee injuries which really took away his mobility. He was a good pocket passer but the ability to move made him better.

Even at that, Renfroe was outstanding in 1988 and put up some of the best numbers in Argo history that year. As I recall, there was no further injury that would explain his quick decline from 1988 to 1989. He got off to a tough start in 1989 and never really got going. I believe that he clashed with Obie that season too which ultimately led to his release in mid-season.

AngeloV
05-25-2018, 12:11 PM
Even at that, Renfroe was outstanding in 1988 and put up some of the best numbers in Argo history that year. As I recall, there was no further injury that would explain his quick decline from 1988 to 1989. He got off to a tough start in 1989 and never really got going. I believe that he clashed with Obie that season too which ultimately led to his release in mid-season.

He signed with the Vikings the next year, so maybe his subconsciously he was playing just not to get injured again. I also wouldn't say he was outstanding in 1988. His td/int ratio was 26-24. Yes he threw for 4100 yards, but if you play in all 18 games, that should be a given for any starting QB. His yards per carry went from 6.1 in '87 to 2.6 in '88. IMO, the great 14-4 record in '88 was on a great defence. Argos padded their offensive stats in some games against a VERY VERY BAD Ottawa team.

paulwoods13
05-25-2018, 02:13 PM
I agree with AV that the real strength in 1988 was the defence. The Argos piled up a lot of yards and stats in some games against weak opposition, but the offence was not nearly as dominant as a 14-4 record would suggest. By 1989, Obie's act had worn thin. The team built its offence around three receivers: an unhappy D.K. Smith, an aging but still effective Jeff Boyd and an over-the-hill Emanuel Tolbert. When Renfroe got off to a bad start, things just spiralled downward.

gilthethrill
05-25-2018, 04:46 PM
I agree with AV that the real strength in 1988 was the defence. The Argos piled up a lot of yards and stats in some games against weak opposition, but the offence was not nearly as dominant as a 14-4 record would suggest. By 1989, Obie's act had worn thin. The team built its offence around three receivers: an unhappy D.K. Smith, an aging but still effective Jeff Boyd and an over-the-hill Emanuel Tolbert. When Renfroe got off to a bad start, things just spiralled downward.

Yes, the Argo offence was horrible the next year, but the defense again was a strength.

OV Argo
05-26-2018, 11:04 AM

Fereday had a try-out with the Roughriders (Sask i guess you mean), after he was cut by the Argos ?

And I thought he went Bengals TC first and then reported to the Argos, but you're saying it was the other way around gill ?

Will
05-26-2018, 11:19 AM
I'm tempted to do some research now. The Argos scored 571 points in 1988 (31.7) and surrendered 326 points (18.1). The Argonauts outscored Ottawa 176 (44) to 28 (7) in those 4 games.

I'd be interested to see what Renfroe's stats were in those games relative to games against other opponents.

ArgoGabe22
05-26-2018, 11:22 AM
Fereday had a try-out with the Roughriders (Sask i guess you mean), after he was cut by the Argos ?

And I thought he went Bengals TC first and then reported to the Argos, but you're saying it was the other way around gill ?

Feraday went back to the Riders after his NFL stints.

gilthethrill
05-26-2018, 01:48 PM

I was not aware of Feraday going to Saskatchewan, but I am sure that he signed with Cincinnati after Obie released him.

Will
05-26-2018, 03:16 PM
Renfroe threw for 4,113 yards in 1988 along with 26 touchdowns and 24 interceptions.

In the 4 games against the Ottawa Rough Riders that season, he went 69 of 113 (61%) for 987 yards with 7 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. He averaged 247 yards in games against Ottawa. In the games against all other opponents he went 221 of 414 (53%) with 19 touchdowns and 22 interceptions so yes I think it can be concluded that the 2-16 Rough Riders did give Renfroe a boost. However, I do not believe that it is fully an explanation.

The Argos lost their first game of the season against Hamilton 29-24 before winning 7 in a row. It would be fair to say that of those 7 wins that the defense carried the way. There were two Ottawa wins in that stretch, but the Argos won two games against BC in the summer by scores of 24-12 and 26-21 respectively and Renfroe's stats in both games do not look great. However, he actually starts turning a corner in September. The Argos lose three games to Hamilton, Saskatchewan and Edmonton but Renfroe does not play terrible in two of those games (stats wise). The Argos do not lose another regular season game and Renfroe's statistics look much, much better.

Renfroe's stats through 33-17 win over Calgary on August 31, 1988 (8 games)

105 of 194 (54%) for 1,348 yards with 8 touchdowns and 11 interceptions

* Renfroe was replaced in the season opener vs Hamilton and a home win over Hamilton on August 16, 1988

Renfroe's stats for remaining 10 games

185 of 333 (55%) for 2,765 yards with 18 touchdowns and 13 interceptions

* Renfroe replaced by Danny Barrett in 14-13 loss to Saskatchewan on September 9, 1988

My conclusion would be that in the 7-1 start the Argos were benefited greatly from their defense while the 7-0 run to finish the regular season they featured a more balanced attack.

OV Argo
05-26-2018, 07:13 PM
Feraday went back to the Riders after his NFL stints.

You'd have to show me some sort of source for me to believe this; my understanding was he went to the Bengals camp after they drafted him, but then reported to the Argos after he got cut by the Bengals, then got cut by the Argos ?

OV Argo
05-26-2018, 07:14 PM
I was not aware of Feraday going to Saskatchewan, but I am sure that he signed with Cincinnati after Obie released him.

You mean he decided to forgo an NFL shot after he was drafted there and reported to the Argos 1st ?

gilthethrill
05-26-2018, 07:43 PM
You mean he decided to forgo an NFL shot after he was drafted there and reported to the Argos 1st ?

I believe so. Feraday played sparingly in Cincinnati's final preseason game and was amongst the final cuts. That would have been in late August-early September, well after the CFL had started. I still recall Sports line on Global actually showing Feraday complete that 18 yard pass.

argos1873
05-26-2018, 08:02 PM
You'd have to show me some sort of source for me to believe this; my understanding was he went to the Bengals camp after they drafted him, but then reported to the Argos after he got cut by the Bengals, then got cut by the Argos ?

"But it proved to be a relatively short stint in the American big leagues. After playing in a pre-season game against the Kansas City Chiefs, to a crowd of 90,000, Feraday was released by the Bengals and snatched up by the Edminton Eskimos. From there, the quarterback bounced around the continent, spending time with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, the Michigan Panthers (a USFL team), the Bengals again, the Detroit Lions, and the Green Bay Packers. All of this in only three short years."

https://thevarsity.ca/2003/09/18/fairer-days-ahead/

ArgoRavi
05-26-2018, 11:49 PM

Not unusual back in those days, OV. The NFL draft was much longer and we often saw late NFL draft picks come to the CFL rather than head to the NFL.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8