PDA

View Full Version : New PR named at Argos

1971GreyCup
05-30-2018, 03:30 PM
Looks like Argos have picked up a top PR individual starting today.

Kurtis W. Larson tweeted:

Toronto FC media relations pro Mike Masaro signs off to pursue a job with the Toronto Argonauts. The best I've worked with in soccer; A guy repeatedly robbed of MLS PR Awards. Soccer's loss is CFL's gain. Enjoy it, man!
#TFCLive

1971GreyCup
05-30-2018, 03:40 PM
M. Domer tweeted:

“Mike is one of the classiest individuals I ever had a chance to work with. Best of luck with the Argos. They are lucky to have him. #TFClive”

1971GreyCup
05-30-2018, 03:44 PM
By the way, every TC day I attended, there was an individual who heads up MLSE branding across all brands. MLSE sending over a top PR individual bodes we’ll for the Argos brand.

Treblecharger1
05-30-2018, 04:18 PM
I worked with Mike for a couple months over at TFC. He was coming in just as I was leaving. Great guy and the Argos are lucky to have him.

gilthethrill
05-30-2018, 04:21 PM
This announcement could very well be what the Argos need....welcome aboard Mike.

Shatto
05-30-2018, 04:41 PM
We all wish Mike the very best in his new role with the Argos and welcome him to the team. If there is one area of concern it is his complete lack of background and experience with the CFL or any professional football.

It looks as if MLSE or Manning are determined to bring over the TFC experience to the Argos. It could well be successful but it raises the question, t were there no knowledgeable and well respected CFL PR individuals available for the role. Hopefully, Masaro learn from individuals like Pinball and will quickly soak up the culture and essence of the Argos and the CFL and will be a valuable asset to the team.

AngeloV
05-30-2018, 04:45 PM
We all wish Mike the very best in his new role with the Argos and welcome him to the team. If there is one area of concern it is his complete lack of background and experience with the CFL or any professional football.

It looks as if MLSE or Manning are determined to bring over the TFC experience to the Argos. It could well be successful but it raises the question, t were there no knowledgeable and well respected CFL PR individuals available for the role. Hopefully, Masaro learn from individuals like Pinball and will quickly soak up the culture and essence of the Argos and the CFL and will be a valuable asset to the team.

The best PR the Argos would be to get their star players out and recognizable as much as possible. I don't think you need a CFL background for that. Get guys like Wilder, Ball, Green and others out there as much as you can. I've said this before, but Wilder was all over all Bell media before the eastern final and the crowd was great. Need to do more of this. Sports marketing today is all about recognizable players.

R.J
05-30-2018, 05:46 PM
I think some are becoming a little obsessed with idea that Manning and the likes of Masaro coming over from the "dredded" TFC, and not being CFL people - I don't recall this same obsession when Copeland and Moore hired a bunch of former Blue Jay employees last year.

Argo57
05-30-2018, 06:35 PM

Could care less if he has a CFL background TBH, perhaps an “outsiders” approach is exactly what is needed.

rdavies
05-30-2018, 06:35 PM
The only thing I could think of when reading this is who was the guy in charge of TFC PR during the delayed Argos Congrats on the Grey Cup imbroglio. I certainly hope I'm wrong and the early endorsements of this thread are correct.

AngeloV
05-30-2018, 06:46 PM
We really need to stop the paranoia around here.

rdavies
05-30-2018, 07:07 PM
No, we need open discussion. Maybe this guy is great, I hope he is, but I sure as hell hope he wasn't the guy behind the belated congrats. Or maybe I do, and he'll screw TFC next time.

Argo57
05-30-2018, 08:32 PM
No, we need open discussion. Maybe this guy is great, I hope he is, but I sure as hell hope he wasn't the guy behind the belated congrats. Or maybe I do, and he'll screw TFC next time.

Could really care less about TFC’s belated congrats, was too busy enjoying the Argonauts latest triumph!

Shatto
05-30-2018, 08:38 PM
Angelo, you are absolutely right that the best PR would be as much media exposure as possible for our top players. That stated, I stand by my thoughts, that hiring an individual who is knowledgeable about the Argos and the CFL would have been an advantage. As rd states, we need open discussion as that is healthy. However, I'm sure that everyone is behind Masaro and hopes he will be a breath of fresh air and bring professional PR expertise to the team.

rdavies
05-30-2018, 08:46 PM
I'm sure that everyone is behind Masaro and hopes he will be a breath of fresh air and bring professional PR expertise to the team.I've just got this all wrong he's media relations not marketing. I just wrote a long post about what the marketing department might try and emulate (deleted post).

AngeloV
05-30-2018, 09:17 PM
Angelo, you are absolutely right that the best PR would be as much media exposure as possible for our top players. That stated, I stand by my thoughts, that hiring an individual who is knowledgeable about the Argos and the CFL would have been an advantage. As rd states, we need open discussion as that is healthy. However, I'm sure that everyone is behind Masaro and hopes he will be a breath of fresh air and bring professional PR expertise to the team.

I don't disagree with you, but ever since Manning was named president, it seems many have come to their conclusions without even seeing what the results will be. If it's a slow climb to be where they need to be, I have no issue with it, and a lot of patience. IMO, anything is better than the papered houses we saw under both Braley and C&S before that.

And keep in mind, I dislike TFC and a good portion of their fan base a lot. I just want to see a strong Argos franchise again.

rdavies
05-30-2018, 09:54 PM
And keep in mind, I dislike TFC and a good portion of their fan base a lot. I just want to see a strong Argos franchise again.On that we can agree.

rdavies
05-30-2018, 10:23 PM
I don't disagree with you, but ever since Manning was named president, it seems many have come to their conclusions without even seeing what the results will be.Well, if he championed putting the training facilities into the same postal code as the article says, then that's a good start.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8