PDA

View Full Version : ARGOS GAME THREAD - Preseason Week 3 - Ottawa Redblacks @ Toronto Argonauts

Will
06-04-2018, 07:44 PM
At 23 C it should be a comfortable night to watch football in Guelph. I went to a few of the Ticat games in Guelph in 2013, one of which was in July and was excruciatingly hot and one in October that was cold, damp and miserable. Anyways, Trevor Harris isn't likely to play for the Redblacks and I wonder how many of their starters they'll bring. For the Argos, it's a chance for the starters to get some work in (aside from RR), and answer the few lingering questions surrounding P/K and MLB.

Incidentally, is anybody aware of parking details for the game? I know the lot across the street was used for Ticat games in 2013.

R.J
06-04-2018, 08:07 PM
Won't be able to attend the game, but does anyone know if it'll be on the radio ?

I'm also interested to hear/see what occurs in the back up QB, MLB and K/P battles.

gilthethrill
06-04-2018, 08:41 PM
Looking forward to attending the game on Thursday. As for parking concerns, one of my party of 5 has a boy who plays OT for the Griffins. He says we should have no problem parking in that parking lot you were referring to Wil.

The Argos should just swallow up the Red Blacks back up qb's. Hope 6ft 6 receiver Rodney Smith draws in...interesting to see the kicking competition play out after both Watters and Pfeffer performed well in Hamilton.

AngeloV
06-04-2018, 10:42 PM
Won't be able to attend the game, but does anyone know if it'll be on the radio ?

I'm also interested to hear/see what occurs in the back up QB, MLB and K/P battles.

Not sure, but if not locally, TSN 1200 Ottawa will have it. Download the app for TSN Go or Iheart radio if you won't be near a computer.

argolio
06-05-2018, 12:30 AM
Busy night with the Argo game, NHL, the Marlies, and the election.

R.J
06-05-2018, 12:21 PM
Busy night with the Argo game, NHL, the Marlies, and the election.
Crap! For some reason I thought the Stanley Cup Finals were on Wednesday. Oh well, already voted, and I can just PVR the Marlies game, while watching the Caps/Knights, and listen to the Argo game on my laptop. And my wife says I can't multitask, pfft.

PullTogether73
06-05-2018, 12:42 PM
Crap! For some reason I thought the Stanley Cup Finals were on Wednesday. Oh well, already voted, and I can just PVR the Marlies game, while watching the Caps/Knights, and listen to the Argo game on my laptop. And my wife says I can't multitask, pfft.

Impressive!

But doesn't that much multitasking aggravate your ADHD?
:p:D

Wobbler
06-05-2018, 04:51 PM
We'll see the depth chart tomorrow, but don't expect the vets to play (at all?) on Thursday. “The guys who didn’t play won’t play,” [Trestman] said. “The guys who did play will play.” (http://3downnation.com/2018/06/05/rookie-trumaine-washington-not-dwelling-upon-impressive-start-argos/)

jerrym
06-05-2018, 11:10 PM
Not sure, but if not locally, TSN 1200 Ottawa will have it. Download the app for TSN Go or Iheart radio if you won't be near a computer.

Thanks for the info. Good to see Ricky back in action after more than six months since the Grey Cup victory.

paulwoods13
06-06-2018, 08:46 AM
Good to see Ricky back in action after more than six months since the Grey Cup victory.

Yes, it will be good -- next week. He's not playing this week (nor should he IMO).

R.J
06-06-2018, 02:20 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Redblacks?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Redblacks</a>&#39; depth chart for preseason game vs. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Argos</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CFL</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/REDBLACKS?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@REDBLACKS</a> <a href="https://t.co/BaBaso04Nv">pic.twitter.com/BaBaso04Nv</a></p>&mdash; CFL News (@CFL_News) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/1004387487198965762?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 6, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wobbler
06-06-2018, 03:14 PM
I don't see Daryl Waud. *Shockingly*, he must be injured.

Will
06-06-2018, 05:07 PM
It seems to me that Ottawa isn't bringing many notables on offence, but that the opposite is true on defence.

I have noted the Argos haven't posted a depth chart yet. Aren't they supposed to do that 24 hours prior to game time?

R.J
06-06-2018, 05:20 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Argos</a> depth chart vs. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Redblacks?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Redblacks</a> for preseason......via <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TorontoArgos</a><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CFL</a> <a href="https://t.co/uwBAyVcmx0">pic.twitter.com/uwBAyVcmx0</a></p>&mdash; CFL News (@CFL_News) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/1004473976112996359?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 6, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will
06-06-2018, 05:25 PM
A little odd (if you ask me), we knew that Green, Ray, Ball and Wilder weren't going to play, but it seems that many 2017 starters will not be playing a single down in preseason. The battle at MLB between Reed and Plummer will not be decided based on preseason play.

Wobbler
06-06-2018, 07:41 PM
Yeah, Popp was not exaggerating, apparently.

Nice to see that Rodney Smith is good to go at WR. Too bad about Jones, though. I kinda wish we drafted Alex Singleton instead (heh).

Shatto
06-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Some interesting changes. Suspect coaches have already made decisions on those dressed last time but not for this game. They include:
.Webster--looked like he cemented his position with solid play in last game
.Bishop----likely to be Wynn's backup
.Watson---strong camp and leading receiver in first game. Probably going to make team if not on active roster then on PR
. Kwemo-- decision probably already made--but which way?

Alford --as a KR/PR along with Jackson. With 4.29 speed, it should be exciting to see if he can translate that into our game

Wobbler
06-06-2018, 08:15 PM
The battle at MLB between Reed and Plummer will not be decided based on preseason play.
Hmm... our MLB situation is starting to worry me.

- Woods is recovering from surgery for an unknown amount of time but won't be ready to start the season
- Reed went on the 6-game IR on June 3rd
- Akeem Jordan seems to be injured (missed both pre-season games)
- Plummer hasn't played in the pre-season either. Is it possible that we've anointed him the starter and he's resting? Otherwise he's hurt too...

We might be down to Jeff Luc and Justin Herdman.

Shatto
06-06-2018, 08:45 PM
Neither Jordon or Plummer seem to have any injuries. More likely the coaching staff have seen enough of their play last year and their performances in TC to have decided their status. Plummer played very well in Easter Final (3 defensive tackles and an int for a TD) and in the G C (4 defensive tackles and 1 pass knockdown). Jordon made 10 defensive tackles in his CFL debut playing MLB.

We all wondered why the team signed so many LB's in the off season. Seems like a very astute move in hindsight.

Wobbler
06-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Neither Jordon or Plummer seem to have any injuries. More likely the coaching staff have seen enough of their play last year and their performances in TC to have decided their status. Plummer played very well in Easter Final (3 defensive tackles and an int for a TD) and in the G C (4 defensive tackles and 1 pass knockdown). Jordon made 10 defensive tackles in his CFL debut playing MLB.
I'm relieved to hear that. I hope you're right.

argolio
06-06-2018, 10:45 PM
Jordan sat out practice last week when I was there. Didn't look serious though.

Will
06-06-2018, 11:54 PM
Khalil Bass can play that spot if need be too right?

matthew
06-07-2018, 08:45 PM
TSN Ottawa on I heart has game on

OV Argo
06-07-2018, 10:11 PM
TSN Ottawa on I heart has game on

Listened to a lot of the game there.

But hard to tell a lot from just radio.

How did some of the young Argo Canadians fare in playing time - Woodson, Foster, Noel, draft pick Kwemo, Noah Picton ?

Will
06-08-2018, 12:01 AM
Not a pretty game in any stretch of the imagination.

paulwoods13
06-08-2018, 12:10 AM
How did some of the young Argo Canadians fare in playing time - Woodson, Foster, Noel, draft pick Kwemo, Noah Picton ?

Woodson did not dress
Foster dressed but I didn't see him in the first three quarters
Noel dressed but DNP
Kwemo has not dressed for either game I don't think, definitely did not dress tonight
Picton warmed up a bit but I doubt he got in as it was still Prukop when I left with a few minutes remaining

Charette and Gingras-Gaston both looked very good. Sackey played a lot at RG and part of Q2 at centre -- his snaps were poor again. The o-line as a whole (mostly with three rookie INTs plus Sackey and Campbell) was weak. Onyeka played a lot of LB and made a couple of plays. No other NATs really distinguished themselves. We sat most of our veterans -- Finley and Gaydosh were the only NATs who got a lot of playing time last year and played tonight. Williams, Noel and Ralph all dressed but DNP. They have presumably made the team, as have Coombs, Cross, the three o-line starters, the two DTs and presumably Gabriel and Black. Woodson might be in a battle with Webster for a DB spot.

Shatto
06-08-2018, 12:20 AM
Not a great game for the Argos. This time the opposition did not turn the ball over as did Hamilton. Impressions:

.Neither Franklin or B-T played that well. In fact the 2 Ottawa QB's outplayed them. Granted it was a vanilla offense but they did not impress

.Burks had another strong game and should make the team

.Alford really does have outstanding speed and quickness. Will battle Jackson for K/P returner

.Washington played well again but was slow moving into coverage on occasion. Still the best DB on the field.

.Charette had a very nice long TD but in the previous series he dropped an easy catch

.Coombs was sporting a walking cast. Morris showed indications that he could be a good replacement for Coombs

.Couple of players made some good plays (Harrington/Luc/Onyeka) but cant comment on their overall play

.Gingras-Gagnone showed good hustle and aggressiveness, could be a good backup for Cross

.Kick-off and punt coverage still leaves much to be desired.

OK, it was only an exhibition game with mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers but few appeared to turn in performances that will convince the coaching staff that they belong on the team.

Wobbler
06-08-2018, 12:29 AM
Woodson did not dress
Foster dressed but I didn't see him in the first three quarters
Noel dressed but DNP
Kwemo has not dressed for either game I don't think, definitely did not dress tonight
Picton warmed up a bit but I doubt he got in as it was still Prukop when I left with a few minutes remaining

Charette and Gingras-Gaston both looked very good. Sackey played a lot at RG and part of Q2 at centre -- his snaps were poor again. The o-line as a whole (mostly with three rookie INTs plus Sackey and Campbell) was weak. Onyeka played a lot of LB and made a couple of plays. No other NATs really distinguished themselves. We sat most of our veterans -- Finley and Gaydosh were the only NATs who got a lot of playing time last year and played tonight. Williams, Noel and Ralph all dressed but DNP. They have presumably made the team, as have Coombs, Cross, the three o-line starters, the two DTs and presumably Gabriel and Black. Woodson might be in a battle with Webster for a DB spot.
Thank you, Paul!

Wobbler
06-08-2018, 12:30 AM
Not a great game for the Argos. This time the opposition did not turn the ball over as did Hamilton. Impressions:
.Neither Franklin or B-T played that well. In fact the 2 Ottawa QB's outplayed them. Granted it was a vanilla offense but they did not impress
.Alford really does have outstanding speed and quickness. Will battle Jackson for K/P returner
.Washington played well again but was slow moving into coverage on occasion. Still the best DB on the field.
.Charette had a very nice long TD but in the previous series he dropped an easy catch
.Coombs was sporting a walking cast. Morris showed indications that he could be a good replacement for Coombs
.Couple of players made some good plays (Harrington/Luc/Onyeka) but cant comment on their overall play
.Gingras-Gagnone showed good hustle and aggressiveness, could be a good backup for Cross
OK, it was only an exhibition game with mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers but few appeared to turn in performances that will convince the coaching staff that they belong on the team.
Thank you Shatto!

Rich
06-08-2018, 01:11 AM
Charette and Gingras-Gaston both looked very good.

I was impressed with both these guys in game 1. Wonder if Charette will bump another NAT receiver off the roster, he sure looks like an upgrade over Jimmy Ralph speedwise. And Gingras-Gaston really looks like a baller, may turn out to be quite the sleeper pick for Popp.

Rich
06-08-2018, 01:18 AM

How bad were B-T's picks? 2 picks in 9 atts, including a pick-6, is pretty bad.

I'm also curious to know how Rodney Smith looked. He made 5 catches for limited yardage but the Ottawa radio guys said he showed good hands. Anyone at the game agree?

gilthethrill
06-08-2018, 06:03 AM

I'm also curious to know how Rodney Smith looked. He made 5 catches for limited yardage but the Ottawa radio guys said he showed good hands. Anyone at the game agree?

Rodney Smith looked pretty good. Made an excellent grab while staying in bounds for a 7 yard gain in the first half. I think he sticks around to gain momentum. Seemed Ottawa had success with play action all night setting them up for short yardage on 2nd down. MBT seemed to struggle somewhat, but I thought Franklin looked good.
Truman Washington had another strong game and should have had a pick 6. All in all, the Argos will be fine.
Good to bump into argofans.com and Paul Woods outside the men's washroom in the 4th quarter. Glad maintenance was able to repair the urinal that was gushing out water before kickoff. Hats off to them.

Will
06-08-2018, 08:16 AM

I think Coach Trestman summed it up best when he said (I paraphrase slightly): we certainly didn't play at a standard (at the game in total) that we'd expect out of our football team no matter who was playing. Nonetheless, he mentioned there was some guys who played well individually.

I didn't stay in the stands during halftime or early in 3Q, but apparently some of the vets on D were getting on the guys in the lineup about their play, and I think they'd be right. Vanilla or not!

Franklin was good in 1Q but in the 2Q there were a few throws he would want back and some pass protection breakdowns. I think this idea about B-T being the #2 should be put to bed.

paulwoods13
06-08-2018, 08:41 AM
O-line was weak all night. No starters, but J Campbell played most of the game at RT. Sackey played RG except a stretch in Q2 when he was at centre -- his snaps were again poor, too low. We went with three INT o-linemen most of the night but I have to assume that none of them graded out all that well.

Franklin looked comfortable and poised at QB altho he was under duress most of the time. MBT didn't distinguish himself in Q3, apart from one nice TD pass to a wide-open Charette. I think JF has established himself as No. 2. JF was also holding for place-kicks, and took a third-and-short plunge so might be our short-yardage guy this season. Prukop covered punts and played a bit in the fourth but I can't see him making the 46 unless a QB were to get injured or traded.

Among the receivers, Smith made one very nice catch on the sideline but also fumbled once. His size is imposing and I expect he will be kept around. I liked what I saw from Epps and Alford (the latter as a returner). Harper will be cut, I think. Addison looked decent but not awe-inspiring. Tyms dressed but did not play -- he's sure vocal on the sideline, tho.

Charette and Gingras-Gagnon both look like players. G-G seems to be cut from the same cloth as Cross -- big and strong and good hands.

Burks had another strong performance at RB, and Boom Williams looked promising as well. Morris handled the ball once or twice and looks like a keeper. I doubt we keep five RBs so I'm guessing Williams won't stick around.

The defence played soft and unaggressive for the most part. Dowling really stood out -- he's big, smooth and versatile, able to come up to stop the run or cover deep. Washington and Covington also made plays in the secondary. I think Johnny Sears is on the bubble -- he got hurt so may be stuck on IR but I'm not expecting him to start in the secondary at this point. Luc looked pretty good again at MLB. Bass dressed but did not play. None of the d-linemen stuck out.

Aside from the vets in civvies, a few of the more experienced players who dressed did some "coaching" on the sidelines. I saw Beltre and Darby both talking about techniques to rookies. Marcus Ball tried to get the defence fired up -- or talked some smack to them -- after an early series where Ottawa walked through them at will. Wilder was his usual enthusiastic self on the sidelines.

Our kick coverage and return teams were lacking -- one nice early return by Alford but that was about it.

Flutie
06-08-2018, 09:18 AM

I was at the game in Guelph last night, there was also one throw that went directly into the hands of an Ottawa player and it was a sure INT.
A long pass right into the hands of Charette but hits him in the chest, I'm not sold on Charette as a receiver. Gingras-gaston looked good.
But it was a pre-season and no Ray, Wilder, SJ green etc but same for Ottawa, no Harris, Powell, Madu, Ellingson and Dionte Spencer.
Just means that Ottawa has some pretty good backups especially at QB, Danny Collins looks pretty good, he can scramble and throw on the run.

paulwoods13
06-08-2018, 09:22 AM

On the pick six, the ball was thrown too high but the receiver (Harper) got his hands on it only to tip it to the defender.

Smith made one athletic catch on the sideline where he had to reach up high, then drag both feet down in bounds. He also fumbled once and got a bit shaken up on the play.

paulwoods13
06-08-2018, 09:24 AM
A long pass right into the hands of Charette but hits him in the chest, I'm not sold on Charette as a receiver.

The exact same thing was being said about Declan Cross two years ago. IMO Charette looks like a keeper. All receivers drop passes from time to time. He made plays both last night (didn't drop it when he was wide open for a TD) and last week.

OV Argo
06-08-2018, 10:41 AM
The exact same thing was being said about Declan Cross two years ago. IMO Charette looks like a keeper. All receivers drop passes from time to time. He made plays both last night (didn't drop it when he was wide open for a TD) and last week.

Charette was brought into the league by Popp when he was in Montreal right? - that might mean something now here; if Charette grades out a better receiver than the likes of Noel or Brian Jones, so be it, but when the latter 2 get zero playing time at receiver (Jones cause he's injured?) in ex. games = my guess is they are very lightly regarded as actual receivers.

Flutie
06-08-2018, 11:09 AM

I will take back what I said about Charette, we left at the end of the 3rd quarter and missed the TD (had a long drive back up north).
Tried to tune in on the radio to listen to the 4th qtr, but no radio? anyone know why?

paulwoods13
06-08-2018, 12:06 PM
I will take back what I said about Charette, we left at the end of the 3rd quarter and missed the TD (had a long drive back up north).
Tried to tune in on the radio to listen to the 4th qtr, but no radio? anyone know why?

Probably too expensive to set up a pro-quality broadcast in that stadium, on a night when SC Final and election were likely to swamp it ratings-wise. Plus a lot of Bell's technical resources would have been tied up with election coverage.

argotom
06-08-2018, 01:10 PM

Thanks for your report.
I read today's Sun which indicated the game was a near sellout. Any idea how many attended?
Franklin was the best of the worst QB's.
What about Pfeffer now that he won the job, what was his punting, kicking and FG like?

Shatto
06-08-2018, 02:09 PM
According to official game tracker the crowd was just short of 4,000 Looked bigger than that.

Pfeffer was pretty consistent. Missed one convert but the ball was mishandled. He placed his kick-offs about the 10 yard line and close to the sideline except for one kick, when he put it in closer to the middle of the field. He wasn't happy about that one kick His punting was a very healthy 51.5 average. overall he looked very solid

R.J
06-08-2018, 05:57 PM
Hogie's Breakdown of the game https://www.argonauts.ca/2018/06/08/hogan-breakdown-argos-vs-redblacks/

Will
06-09-2018, 10:01 AM
The stands seemed pretty full.

ArgoZ
06-09-2018, 10:59 AM
Smith really stands out in a league known for shorter players. That catch he made was the perfect way to make an impression. Highlight of the night. The running backs all did well in Guelph. Some very hard runs. So many hard decisions. Going to be some talented players cut. It was unusual hardly seeing any starters during these games, but you can see why. I look forward to seeing the roster Sunday.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8