View Full Version : Projecting the starting line-up

OV Argo
05-20-2012, 11:08 PM
A tough call heading into TC with no reports on how things are going there; so - going by the current roster and maybe the thinking tendencies of the guys in charge of personnel - some obvious choices like Ray, Boyd, Foley ... but some question marks at a few positon groups.

QB - Ray
RB - Boyd
Receiver 5 pack - Jason Barnes, Mann, Owens, Durie, Parker
O-Line - Gagne-Marcoux, Van Zeyl, Parenteau, Smith, St-Pierre - not sure in what order they would line-up, and not confident in my prediction here - but a group with signifigant CFL experience, plus I'm betting on them pencilling in an all NI O-line; Eppele at guard maybe if St-Pierre can't grade out a starting C (with Gagne-Marcoux or Parenteau at C ?); unless Patrick looks great in TC at OT - then they'd have to use a NI starting elsewhere

D-line - Foley, Huntley, Wroten, Flemons = same group as last year - maybe they can gel into a great unit as i had hoped last season - not sure there are serious challengers here? - but like to see Alexandre get a real shot at DT and Pierre-Etienne might surprise at DE (?)

LB - Plie, Kuale, Issac; but Jones seemed to do a lot of subbing with the Stamps D; Pottinger or Cannon in some?

DB - toughest position group to call maybe? - Younger as S, plus Smalls and McCollough maybe close to locks?; Carrol (former NFL starter) at CB, and then at DB ? - maybe Clement or maybe Issac plays there?

main retuner - Owens

dual kicker - Pre

KCargosfan
05-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Looks pretty dead-on to me, OVA. The lines still worry me a bit. Do you think Parenteau has anything left in the tank? He got ripped pretty hard by the Sask fans in the offseason.

Wobbler
05-21-2012, 12:30 AM
I was going to say that it would be great to see some serious competition on the D-line, particularly with Flemons' advancing age, but the only new guy we've brought in is Curtis Johnson. As OV said, hopefully the NI's will get a proper evaluation.

RoRoYoBoat
05-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Looks pretty dead-on to me, OVA. The lines still worry me a bit. Do you think Parenteau has anything left in the tank? He got ripped pretty hard by the Sask fans in the offseason.

Parenteau is a fine guard but an average snap to below average snap. Marcoux is a fine center. Hamilton moved him to guard so they could find a spot for Hage who was a lousy guard. I see Marcoux in the middle.

gilthethrill
05-21-2012, 11:53 AM
I think OT Chris Patrick was signed so he will start there. I see him as the lone import on the o-line. Will there be competition brought in for Pre?

ArgoRavi
05-21-2012, 12:32 PM
The one guy missing on offence is Spencer Watt who Milanovich seems to be high on. He mentioned Watt specifically at both his opening press conference and at the state-of-the-team conference call last week so he would appear to have plans to get the ball into Watt's hands often.

OV Argo
05-21-2012, 01:04 PM
The one guy missing on offence is Spencer Watt who Milanovich seems to be high on. He mentioned Watt specifically at both his opening press conference and at the state-of-the-team conference call last week so he would appear to have plans to get the ball into Watt's hands often.

Maybe Ravi - we shall see - but i think you a put a lot more stock in quotes from team officials or standard CFL party line than I do; Millanovich was with the Als, where they went all NI on the O-Line and all imports (= zero Canadians) in the receiving corps last year - maybe he employs the same m.o. with the Argos ? - but if Patrick is a starter as an import at OT, then they might have to go with another NI starting receiver (there are actually lots of options if it isn't 7 only NIs pencilled-in starters); I'll still bet on only one (Durie i guess) starting NI receiver in the 5 pack (and possibly none), but Watt has good speed and some experience now - maybe he plays the wide-side WR spot - where a lot of CFL teams have stuck NI receivers in the past number of years; and IMO both Bradwell and Feoli-Gudino are possibly more sure-handed and polished receivers vs. Watt, but probably not near as fast, so they might be battling for back-up spots only.

OV Argo
05-21-2012, 01:13 PM
I think OT Chris Patrick was signed so he will start there. I see him as the lone import on the o-line. Will there be competition brought in for Pre?

You could be bang-on there; guy was a FA and it just so happened the QB he was protecting last season is now with another team - and maybe puts in a few good words to get this guy signed to help protect him again ?

ArgoGabe22
05-21-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't think Samie Parker will last past TC. Not that I don't want him to its just a feeling.

gilthethrill
05-21-2012, 08:57 PM
You could be bang-on there; guy was a FA and it just so happened the QB he was protecting last season is now with another team - and maybe puts in a few good words to get this guy signed to help protect him again ?

Good point OV, I would imagine Ricky may have given his endorsement on Patrick. If so, good on the coaching staff for listening.

argotom
05-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Boyd is defintely the RB, but I am also hoping that we can get Kackert in to spell Chad or as a two back.
I know it's going to be some shuffling with the quota though.

ArgoRavi
05-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Boyd is defintely the RB, but I am also hoping that we can get Kackert in to spell Chad or as a two back.
I know it's going to be some shuffling with the quota though.

There is no guarantee that Kackert will make the team as he and Gerald Riggs Jr. should have a good battle for the backup tailback spot. I agree that it would be nice to see the team be able to dress that extra import back to spell Boyd on occasion and provide a different look.

AngeloV
05-22-2012, 08:35 PM

And here I was thinking I was the only one thinking Watt will start. Still can't believe how so many on here are so down on Watt. Last year was bad for the whole team, not just a then 21 year old receiver.

OV Argo
05-22-2012, 09:11 PM
And here I was thinking I was the only one thinking Watt will start. Still can't believe how so many on here are so down on Watt. Last year was bad for the whole team, not just a then 21 year old receiver.

Does it mean you are down on the guy if you believe he might not be a starter? - IMO - Watt has good potential, and looked quite impressive when he first got to play for the Argos as a rookie; not so much last year. IF there is honest, open competition in TC, he could emerge as a starter; IF there is pencilled-in stuff, with only 1 NI to play in the 5 pack corps, I think he is in tough to beat out Durie as a starter there; IF the pencilled-in stuff predetermines it will be 2 NIs, then his chances go up; but I'm not sure he is better than Bradwell or Feoli-Gudino (but maybe a better fit at wide-out with his speed): IF - there was no pencilled-in stuff with real open competition, his chances could go up again; however - can't see any way in hell this team uses 3 NIs in the 5 pack - regardless of how the receivers "grade-out" in TC.

AngeloV
05-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Does it mean you are down on the guy if you believe he might not be a starter? - IMO - Watt has good potential, and looked quite impressive when he first got to play for the Argos as a rookie; not so much last year. IF there is honest, open competition in TC, he could emerge as a starter; IF there is pencilled-in stuff, with only 1 NI to play in the 5 pack corps, I think he is in tough to beat out Durie as a starter there; IF the pencilled-in stuff predetermines it will be 2 NIs, then his chances go up; but I'm not sure he is better than Bradwell or Feoli-Gudino (but maybe a better fit at wide-out with his speed): IF - there was no pencilled-in stuff with real open competition, his chances could go up again; however - can't see any way in hell this team uses 3 NIs in the 5 pack - regardless of how the receivers "grade-out" in TC.

Actually, I believe he will be a starter. I think that under an OC that knows what he's doing, Watt will become a big impact player. May not catch 50 or 60 balls, but will make a lot of big plays.

CptArcher
05-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Chad Kackert played great last year, and is the real deal.

I was really disappointed that Barker did not dress Kackert more last year: except for Boyd's injury and the last few games, after we had been eliminated. This was a mistake in my opinion. Kackert was productive every time he suited up, and the Argos did well in the last few games when Boyd started and Kackert dressed as a backup. Nothing wrong with two import running backs, especially with Crawford's retirement.

Mulder
05-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Chad Kackert played great last year, and is the real deal.

I was really disappointed that Barker did not dress Kackert more last year: except for Boyd's injury and the last few games, after we had been eliminated. This was a mistake in my opinion. Kackert was productive every time he suited up, and the Argos did well in the last few games when Boyd started and Kackert dressed as a backup. Nothing wrong with two import running backs, especially with Crawford's retirement.

I know it can be a deceiving stat. But Kackert was tied last season for second in team scoring. (30 points) And lead for most of the season, as far as I can remember. The Ratio, as well as 2 costly fumbles caused him to not even dress most of last season. From what I can find, he played in 6 games. Recorded rushing yards in 5 of them.

It would be interesting to see if that stat was just a symptom of having a terrible offense the rest of the time.

CptArcher
05-23-2012, 11:04 PM
I know it can be a deceiving stat. But Kackert was tied last season for second in team scoring. (30 points) And lead for most of the season, as far as I can remember. The Ratio, as well as 2 costly fumbles caused him to not even dress most of last season. From what I can find, he played in 6 games. Recorded rushing yards in 5 of them.

It would be interesting to see if that stat was just a symptom of having a terrible offense the rest of the time.
I believe the ratio was a big factor in the decision, but I believe it would be wise to dress both in spite of the ratio. Maybe it will happen this year with an Canadian O-Line.

AngeloV
05-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Kackert's fumbling problem is the main reason he did not dress in many games IMO. They had no problem dressing Cristian in '10 as an extra import. Pro coaches do not tolerate fumbling from running backs. If he can correct that problem, he will dress. If not, he will be cut. Ratio had nothing to do with it.

CptArcher
05-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Kackert's fumbling problem is the main reason he did not dress in many games IMO. They had no problem dressing Cristian in '10 as an extra import. Pro coaches do not tolerate fumbling from running backs. If he can correct that problem, he will dress. If not, he will be cut. Ratio had nothing to do with it.
Kackert and Christian do not even play the same position. Thanks for a laugh though Mr. Know-it-all. Your assertion that "ratio had nothing to do with it" is just that - laughable. Argos have never consistently played 2 imports at running back.

KCargosfan
05-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Kackert and Christian do not even play the same position. Thanks for a laugh though Mr. Know-it-all. Your assertion that "ratio had nothing to do with it" is just that - laughable. Argos have never consistently played 2 imports at running back.

I think Area 51 is back under a new name.

gilthethrill
05-24-2012, 05:36 PM
I think Area 51 is back under a new name.

Funny KC, I was thinking the same thing the other day! :)

AngeloV
05-24-2012, 08:30 PM

Hey Wyle E Coyote..er genius. Nobody said anything about them being in the same backfield. Christian would dress as a DI..you know a back up to starting import? Had Kackert not developed a fumbling issue, he likely would have dressed a lot more often. For the record, Christian was a hybrid of RB and SB too. He could have played either position as he did in college.

ArgoRavi
05-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Hey Wyle E Coyote..er genius. Nobody said anything about them being in the same backfield. Christian would dress as a DI..you know a back up to starting import? Had Kackert not developed a fumbling issue, he likely would have dressed a lot more often. For the record, Christian was a hybrid of RB and SB too. He could have played either position as he did in college.

The other attribute which Christian brought that Kackert didn't was that he could be a much more significant contributor on special teams.

KCargosfan
05-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Funny KC, I was thinking the same thing the other day! :)

Great minds think alike

7dj83r8f78t4alf8