PDA

View Full Version : CFL announces Thursday Night Football concert series

R.J
06-05-2018, 11:54 AM
https://press.cfl.ca/cfl-announces-thursday-night-football-concert-series-for-2018-season#

From my understanding it the League paying for this, not the teams individually/separately. I know Gabe will be happy about Kardinal Offishall.

ArgoGabe22
06-05-2018, 12:16 PM
I know Gabe will be happy about Kardinal Offishall.

Only if the Rascalz will be there!

Like many of us here, I will be the first to complain. He's passed his prime and a bit irrelevant but a friend of the Argos (Like Maestro and Karl Wolf) . Not that it'll make any difference crowd wise but Toronto should have had someone new and fresh. The Beaches or Jazz Cartier would be more appropriate IMO. But overall, its not a bad idea.

R.J
06-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Only if the Rascalz will be there!

Like many of us here, I will be the first to complain. He's passed his prime and a bit irrelevant but a friend of the Argos (Like Maestro and Karl Wolf) . Not that it'll make any difference but Toronto should have had someone new and more hip. The Beaches or Jazz Cartier would be more appropriate IMO. But overall, its not a bad idea.
Someone like The Weeknd ?

ArgoGabe22
06-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Someone like The Weeknd ?

God no. Although he'd create some hype. There was a rumour floating around that he was way too expensive for the Grey Cup. Doubt he'd ever agree to this. Daniel Caesar or City & Colour would've been cool to see. I like Kardinal but I think having the Beaches go to Hamilton is a shame. I have no clue who Jazz Cartier is but he is younger.

R.J
06-05-2018, 12:28 PM
God no. Although he'd create some hype. There was a rumour floating around that he was way too expensive for the Grey Cup. Doubt he'd ever agree to this. Daniel Caesar or City & Colour would've been cool to see. I like Kardinal but I think having the Beaches go to Hamilton is a shame. I have no clue who Jazz Cartier is but he is younger.
The Bombers announced a 7 game concert series this year, which I think is a great idea, as it's all local talent. I'd love to see MLSE do the same, local talent who I doubt would cost much. You entertain your fans during half time for a small cost, and give these young artists a chance to play in front of 15,000+ people. Win - win, IMO.

ArgoGabe22
06-05-2018, 12:33 PM
The Bombers announced a 7 game concert series this year, which I think is a great idea, as it's all local talent. I'd love to see MLSE do the same, local talent who I doubt would cost much. You entertain your fans during half time for a small cost, and give these young artists a chance to play in front of 15,000+ people. Win - win, IMO.

Argos tried doing stuff in the Shipyard but were very unknown. Although Chad Kackert wasn't bad but any Argo fan would be a bit biased. A halftime show could bring in someone a bit bigger in name but not too big. Agreed, showcasing local talent would be an excellent idea.

rdavies
06-05-2018, 01:30 PM
There was a rumour floating around that he was way too expensive for the Grey Cup.From what I understand the artists aren't paid for the Grey Cup, the record label takes the hit, in exchange for the large exposure the artists get.

Now I know I'm outta touch, but I can't see a guy, who I've never heard of, being more expensive than Shania, she hasn't fallen that far, yet.

R.J
06-05-2018, 02:06 PM
The Weeknd is considerably more relevant nowadays in comparison to Shania.

gilthethrill
06-05-2018, 02:12 PM
The Irish Rovers get screwed again!😐

rdavies
06-05-2018, 02:22 PM
The Weeknd is considerably more relevant nowadays in comparison to Shania.To whom? As I said, I'm outta touch, but I know a fair amount about music (the past) but I haven't even heard of this guy or guys so he ain't all that mainstream.

AngeloV
06-05-2018, 02:24 PM

With $5 beers, they have every intention to be there. They just won't be playing.

PullTogether73
06-05-2018, 02:28 PM
To whom? As I said, I'm outta touch, but I know a fair amount about music (the past) but I haven't even heard of this guy or guys so he ain't all that mainstream.

:sick:
Seriously???

Yes, you ARE out of touch.

R.J
06-05-2018, 02:29 PM
To whom? As I said, I'm outta touch, but I know a fair amount about music (the past) but I haven't even heard of this guy or guys so he ain't all that mainstream.
You're joking about the last bit right ?
2 American music awards, 8 Billboard music awards, 3 Grammy's, millions of albums sold, his last 2 albums have been #1 in the UK, US, AUS, SWE and CDN charts, and over 1 billion streams on Spotify alone. His music videos the last couple of years have averaged more than 100 million views on youtube, some of which even hit over a Billion. I think you're a bit out of touch.

rdavies
06-05-2018, 02:30 PM
The Irish Rovers get screwed again!There's only two of the originals still going: George Millar and Wilcil McDowell. They have a very interesting history and people may forget what a huge international hit "Wasn't That a Party" was. They played it to death when I was younger.

ArgoGabe22

The Weeknd Scores Third Consecutive No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 Chart With 'My Dear Melancholy'https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8298065/the-weeknd-no-1-album-billboard-200-my-dear-melancholy

R.J
I kind of want to see the Sheepdogs. Every time they are near the GTA, I can never get bloody tickets lol.

rdavies
06-05-2018, 02:38 PM
I think you're a bit out of touch.As I said, I am outta touch but I've heard of Kanye West, Bruno Mars etc, couldn't pick them out of a lineup but I've heard of them. Is it cRAP? Because if it is that would explain it.

It's funny, as you get older, you just stop paying attention to infotainment, cult of celebrity and even sports. The guy seems to have a fair amount of accomplishments, surprised I haven't even heard of him.

rdavies
06-05-2018, 02:40 PM
I kind of want to see the Sheepdogs. It's strange because I've heard of them (don't know anything about them) but I've heard of them, and not this other cat.

R.J
06-05-2018, 02:42 PM
As I said, I am outta touch but I've heard of Kanye West, Bruno Mars etc, couldn't pick them out of a lineup but I've heard of them. Is it cRAP? Because if it is that would explain it.

It's funny, as you get older, you just stop paying attention to infotainment, cult of celebrity and even sports. The guy seems to have a fair amount of accomplishments, surprised I haven't even heard of him.
It's the opposite for me, as I'm listening to more music and wider variety than ever before; hence why I love Spotify, and I always recommend it.

OV Argo
06-05-2018, 05:02 PM
As I said, I am outta touch but I've heard of Kanye West, Bruno Mars etc, couldn't pick them out of a lineup but I've heard of them. Is it cRAP? Because if it is that would explain it.

I never heard of The Weekend either - and am quite willing to be called "out of touch" - my 20 year old daughter went to a big music festival in Montreal last year, and i could recognise about 3 or 4 of the names of what seemed like a hundred bands in the line-up.

I agree with your last sentence a lot - I just don't pay as much attention to a lot of entertainment (popular TV shows & pop radio artists) as I guess i would have in the past; not near as much a big sports watcher as I used to be either. Still consider myself a big music fan (backed by a huge collection of albums/CDs; plus still some time to listen, and practice playing an instrument a bit - for what that is worth); as far as sports watching - the CFL is easily the league I follow/watch the most now (NHL hockey and MLB baseball left in the dust compared to years ago).

Getting old = out of touch / not hip. ;o)

7dj83r8f78t4alf8