PDA

View Full Version : Argos Admirals

Deerkeeper
05-21-2012, 03:12 PM
I couldn't tell you the difference between a tweet and a twit, so it obvious that I am not all that social media savvy, but this sounds like a great idea. No pay but the rewards come in other forms. Hope it succeeds.

Argos Admirals about to blaze online trail in CFL (http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/cfl/argos/article/1181802--argos-admirals-about-to-blaze-online-trail-in-cfl)

1argoholic
05-21-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm lost with all of this tech stuff and really have no interest but if it helps the Argos in some way than I'm in. I just got back on Sat from seeing bands in Vancouver and in Victoria for four nights last week. As I roam from brew pub patio to cool ethnic markets I people watch. It really is amazing how a few major tech companies has sucked in a good 80% of society. People can't sit on a beautiful sun filled patio with friends without always checking their hand held tech gadgets. I'll pass!!!

gilthethrill
05-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Well, I for one would like to see Area51 do a blog on the Argos on a regular basis....

1argoholic
05-22-2012, 12:25 PM
I'd read it.

Argocister
05-23-2012, 12:29 AM
This "job" would be a riot to do..... The only problem is that I couldn't do it during the game.
When I surf around some other teams there are a number of blogs and twitter sites that have tons of info for the fan. It's great the Argos will get this increased presence online..... Especially for the younger fans. Let's get them before other sports teams get them.
ARGOOOOOOOOOOOS

CptArcher
05-23-2012, 10:46 PM
This should be a paid position.

Personally, I'm not gonna miss out on actual Argos games to do unpaid work for a private organization with a billionaire owner. Maybe I would if I was 16.

matthew
08-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Ummm, just a question.

Does anyone vet these Argo Admirial posts for basic writing, grammer, spelling and player name accuracy?

If we're going to be using these as a vehicle in getting people enthused about the team or keeping current fans interested with some insights, I think that they could use a bit of spit and polish before they are released to the world. Right now, I think they do the opposite.

They haven't really been reading well and this most recent one was no exception. I mean right from the get go...
Its Raining, its pooring, the Argos are snoring (http://argosadmirals.com/2012/08/28/its-raining-its-pooring-the-argos-are-snoring/)

T-Bone
08-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Ummm, just a question.

Does anyone vet these Argo Admirial posts for basic writing, grammer, spelling and player name accuracy?

If we're going to be using these as a vehicle in getting people enthused about the team or keeping current fans interested with some insights, I think that they could use a bit of spit and polish before they are released to the world. Right now, I think they do the opposite.

They haven't really been reading well and this most recent one was no exception. I mean right from the get go...
Its Raining, its pooring, the Argos are snoring (http://argosadmirals.com/2012/08/28/its-raining-its-pooring-the-argos-are-snoring/)I totally agree with you. I think it was a good idea that has been badly executed. As things are going right now the Admirals are embarrassing to be honest.

ArgoGabe22
08-28-2012, 03:17 PM
I don't follow them from a day to day basis so not sure what they really do but when I do see them on twitter from time to time, it seems like all they do is try to stir things up with trash talk with the other team before the game ex. Edmonton and they look like idiots when the Argos lose.

I'm sure they don't have that much knowledge of the CFL/Argos to begin with. I too thought it was a good idea gone sour.

matthew
08-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Agreed Gabe. For a program that we touted in the star as a pillar of trying to ressurect interest in the city in the league and team, this thing is starting to look like a disservice to both.

Mulder
08-28-2012, 03:24 PM
What about Argofans twitter? It looks to me like the owner of that account has been tweeting more. Got any feedback for him? :)

ArgoGabe22
08-28-2012, 03:32 PM
What about Argofans twitter? It looks to me like the owner of that account has been tweeting more. Got any feedback for him? :)

Not sure blocked that account months ago lol I have list of 500 cfl posters so its hard to keep up with who tweets what especially when I only check when something huge happens or I'm bored.

paulwoods13
08-28-2012, 04:58 PM
I unfollowed the Admirals account yesterday. There was nothing in it that I found worth reading. It's a decent idea to have fans tweeting on behalf of the team, but they need some actual content to make it worth following.

matthew
08-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Sadly...or maybe not, I don't tweet. Nor do I facebook. But I do follow blogs and podcasts ravenously. And I may unfollow this one.

Argos_Daniele
02-10-2013, 08:38 PM
I am a member of the Argos Admirals and after reviewing your comments, it appears that you are unsatisfied with the performance of the Admirals up to this point. I respect and understand your concerns. I will agree that there have been some errors on our website and social media feeds thus far but we are still here to interact with all you true, die-hard fans. We appreciate your support and I guarantee that you will not be disappointed with our latest content and presence on social media feeds. After all, if we want to make the Argonauts a hot topic in the city of Toronto, we need all fans to contribute. The Admirals are fans just like yourselves and all the decisions we make is in the best interest of making games more entertaining for fans to be apart of. We aim to interact with all fans that come our way and we enjoy stirring the pot with other teams. It is a way for fans to communicate with teams and players all around the league. I look forward to spending this 2013 season with you interacting with us on our social media feeds. We get you the true fan perspective. We enjoy discussing CFL football with all of you. We have begun to critically review all work published on our site and our social media feeds provide constant updates on the latest Argonauts news.

I hope to have the opportunity to interact with all of you during this upcoming season.

Please feel welcome to follow me on twitter: @Argos_Daniele. I look forward to chatting CFL with all of you.

Also please follow us @ArgosAdmirals on twitter, instagram, and facebook. We promise to make this 2013 season a special one for all die-hard and dedicated Argos fans!

GO ARGOS GO!

- Daniele Franceschi

T-Bone
02-11-2013, 09:07 AM
We get you the true fan perspective.
What is a true fan?

After all, if we want to make the Argonauts a hot topic in the city of Toronto, we need all fans to contribute.
How so?

294life
02-11-2013, 09:43 AM
I thought they did well breaking the ed philion and eddie brown story. i'm staying in.

dmont
02-11-2013, 12:05 PM
I think they do a good job. Who's complaining?

ArgoRavi
02-11-2013, 04:37 PM
I think they do a good job. Who's complaining?

There were some hiccups but it is a new initiative which will hopefully operate more smoothly and pay dividends over time.

Ron
02-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Well ... off the top of my head I can notice one glaring reason the Admirals are seen as they are by many. Did it really take them over 5 months before they saw this thread to reply to it?

bluto
02-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Well ... off the top of my head I can notice one glaring reason the Admirals are seen as they are by many. Did it really take them over 5 months before they saw this thread to reply to it?

exactly that.

"We get you the true fan perspective" anyone else feel condescended to?

the real fans are here Admirals... not sure what took all you johnny come latelys so long to figure it out.

ArgoGabe22
02-13-2013, 04:29 PM
exactly that.

the real fans are here Admirals... not sure what took all you johnny come latelys so long to figure it out.

Argofans.com = the voice of Argo fans. A blog is fine but how can a blog share the opinion of Argo fans, its more personal while a forum is a place for discussion where we share opinions and agree/disagree with all things related to Argos.

294life
02-13-2013, 07:01 PM

Lol. I didn't even notice. The Argos crew is a good idea too.

I'm an ALS fan and I found this place way before you Admirals. It's better than our own team forums by a freakin' mile.

paulwoods13
02-13-2013, 07:31 PM

Five months would have meant replying last October . . .

Mulder
02-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Five months would have meant replying last October . . .

I made them aware of argofans.com on their very first blog post.

http://argosadmirals.com/2012/06/28/the-mission/

AngeloV
02-13-2013, 11:41 PM
There were some hiccups but it is a new initiative which will hopefully operate more smoothly and pay dividends over time.

Well said Ravi. Why the hate on for another group of Argos fans/promoters? At least they are talking Argos on an Argos forum.

T-Bone
02-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Yes. That's why I asked "What is a true fan?" but I doubt we will get a response. I have no issue with "by fans for fans" but the tone of Daniele's post does not help the Admirals cause if that is their mission.

How are we any more "real fans" than the Admirals? In my opinion this fan base is very fractured. There are a lot of passionate fans out there but labeling one group "real" or "true" does not help in uniting that fan base.

294life
02-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Same situation here in Montreal. Our fan base is pretty fractured too but I've accepted that. Everyone just doesn't get along. As long as everyone supports their team it doesn't really matter.

Mulder
02-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Well said Ravi. Why the hate on for another group of Argos fans/promoters? At least they are talking Argos on an Argos forum.

I wouldn't call it hate, more frustrating. Spelling and Grammar errors, and well as trash talking other teams fans, IMO don't help, and don't build a fanbase or a following.

A much better way to engage fans is encouraging discussion, and planning meetups. Meetups are a great way to engage the fanbase and make meaningful connections, instead of behind a computer screen on an Internet forum where people can think they know somebody, and thus judge them.

Yes. That's why I asked "What is a true fan?" but I doubt we will get a response. I have no issue with "by fans for fans" but the tone of Daniele's post does not help the Admirals cause if that is their mission.

How are we any more "real fans" than the Admirals? In my opinion this fan base is very fractured. There are a lot of passionate fans out there but labeling one group "real" or "true" does not help in uniting that fan base.

I've never liked the "True Fan" label, IMO There are really 2 types of fans, Fair-weather Fans and Fans. I'm sure we had tons of experiences with Fairweather fans at this past Grey Cup. There was certainly lots in my section.

AngeloV
02-14-2013, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't call it hate, more frustrating. Spelling and Grammar errors, and well as trash talking other teams fans, IMO don't help, and don't build a fanbase or a following.

A much better way to engage fans is encouraging discussion, and planning meetups. Meetups are a great way to engage the fanbase and make meaningful connections, instead of behind a computer screen on an Internet forum where people can think they know somebody, and thus judge them.

I've never liked the "True Fan" label, IMO There are really 2 types of fans, Fair-weather Fans and Fans. I'm sure we had tons of experiences with Fairweather fans at this past Grey Cup. There was certainly lots in my section.

What is wrong with trash talking other teams fans? As long as it's done in fun and the lunkheads don't take temselves to seriously, I love it.

ArgoGabe22
02-14-2013, 02:39 PM
What is wrong with trash talking other teams fans? As long as it's done in fun and the lunkheads don't take temselves to seriously, I love it.

I'm not so sure it was for fun (at least how I read it). I know people from all fan bases and they make jokes all the time but they know who I am and I know who they are. Argo fans say Ti Cats suck all the time and so on. Looks like they stopped but I remember my feed exploding with non-stop tweets from them to fans and at the opposing official team account, looking like a 5 year old seeking attention. I think if you're not mentioning anyone then thats fine (fair game) but once you tag someone, they better know you and know its a joke and if not you just look like a troll IMO.

Seems like they now just report news and write articles.

T-Bone
02-14-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm not so sure it was for fun (at least how I read it). I know people from all fan bases and they make jokes all the time but they know who I am and I know who they are. Argo fans say Ti Cats suck all the time and so on. Looks like they stopped but I remember my feed exploding with non-stop tweets from them to fans and at the opposing official team account, looking like a 5 year old seeking attention. I think if you're not mentioning anyone then thats fine (fair game) but once you tag someone, they better know you and know its a joke and if not you just look like a troll IMO.

Seems like they now just report news and write articles.

Agreed. There is a difference between trash talk and friendly banter. As an officially sanctioned/promoted entity of the Argos I don't think they should be trash talking. If you're going to trash talk though, it is a bit of an art form and the Admirals have defiantly not mastered it (https://twitter.com/argosadmirals/status/230385540384559104). Speaking of officially sanctioned/promoted entities of the Argos, what do the Friends of the Argonauts do? I've never been a member but according to their website you pay a $20 membership fee and get:

"Limited Edition fan club pin"
Email updates
Membership Card
Special Fan Club Events
Road Trip Discount to Hamilton

The Labour Day trip last year was $85 and $75 dollars for members, which in my opinion is over priced either way. The only event they seem to put on is the Corn Roast which you have to pay to get in to. So it looks like you are paying $20 to save $10 on an over priced trip to Hamilton. Does that money go to the Argos?

Will
02-14-2013, 05:50 PM
The Argo Admirals, I do believe, are officially sanctioned by the Argonauts. I agree with Gabe on this count. If it was just a simple exchange of a few tweets between the Admirals and the Lions it might have been tolerable, but the duration for which the back-and-forth went on was becoming embarrassing.

Agreed. There is a difference between trash talk and friendly banter. As an officially sanctioned/promoted entity of the Argos I don't think they should be trash talking. If you're going to trash talk though, it is a bit of an art form and the Admirals have defiantly not mastered it (https://twitter.com/argosadmirals/status/230385540384559104). Speaking of officially sanctioned/promoted entities of the Argos, what do the Friends of the Argonauts do? I've never been a member but according to their website you pay a $20 membership fee and get:

"Limited Edition fan club pin"
Email updates
Membership Card
Special Fan Club Events
Road Trip Discount to Hamilton

The Labour Day trip last year was $85 and $75 dollars for members, which in my opinion is over priced either way. The only event they seem to put on is the Corn Roast which you have to pay to get in to. So it looks like you are paying $20 to save $10 on an over priced trip to Hamilton. Does that money go to the Argos?

Good question, T-Bone.

AngeloV
02-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Wow. Looks like the sensitivity meter on here is a little high.

ArgoGabe22
02-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Wow. Looks like the sensitivity meter on here is a little high.

Maybe but is it really their duty to trash talk? I did enjoy how the Cowboys poked fun at hockey and then the Stars burned them pretty good. What disappoints me about the Admirals is I thought they would take more of a journalistic approach and offer fans articles that we so desperately need. Tell me something I don't know, interview players at practice (and alumni during the 71 re-union or during GC week) and write something that's different from other sources. I know the Argos won, I don't need a play by play. At least that's my opinion, maybe they have changed I kind of lost touch with them.

AaronInToronto
02-15-2013, 01:28 PM
We as Argos fans have a predicament in Toronto that other teams don't have, or at least it's not as prevalent. For the size of our fan base, we simply have too many channels competing for fan recognition. Sorry, but it's our reality. We've got 'ArgoFans.com', the team-sanctioned 'ArgosAdmirals', and the boringly-named, yet long-time recognized 'Friends of the Argonauts'. Most other teams have one key Fan Club, owned operated and maintained by the fans. Riderville is the primary source of all fan-initiated info for the club. Lionbackers is the same for BC.

I support all of the groups. I admire what the Admirals did for social engagement, love the indepth discussion here at ArgoFans, and applaud FOA's moderate successs to formalize events. I'm all for variable opinions, and its my opinon as a marketing director and social media guy that its time to really bring this all together under one banner - a go to place for everything. I may reach out to the membership here, Lori and team at FOA and the Admiralsm inviting everyone to get together for drinks and food while we discuss how we can leverage each other to build something big.

3 small waves can become a big roller, and the fan swag would be awesome.

Will
02-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Aaron, this site and FOA actually merged for a two and a half year period ending just over a year ago. It worked for several years, but Lori was starting to get upset at some of the content that was being posted on the forums that was under the Friends of the Argonauts name. In fact, an exchange between Byron Parker and a rather colorful member of that site was briefly touched upon in the National Post.

The issue is we have three groups: one (Admirals) are sanctioned by the team, the FOA is technically independent I guess, but based on the de-merging of FOA and argofans it is evident that the FOA doesn't want to "rock the boat" too, too much and then there is argofans which is wholly independent of the team. How do we reconcile the differences between each group?

294life
02-15-2013, 01:51 PM
We as Argos fans have a predicament in Toronto that other teams don't have, or at least it's not as prevalent. For the size of our fan base, we simply have too many channels competing for fan recognition. Sorry, but it's our reality. We've got 'ArgoFans.com', the team-sanctioned 'ArgosAdmirals', and the boringly-named, yet long-time recognized 'Friends of the Argonauts'. Most other teams have one key Fan Club, owned operated and maintained by the fans. Riderville is the primary source of all fan-initiated info for the club. Lionbackers is the same for BC.

I support all of the groups. I admire what the Admirals did for social engagement, love the indepth discussion here at ArgoFans, and applaud FOA's moderate successs to formalize events. I'm all for variable opinions, and its my opinon as a marketing director and social media guy that its time to really bring this all together under one banner - a go to place for everything. I may reach out to the membership here, Lori and team at FOA and the Admiralsm inviting everyone to get together for drinks and food while we discuss how we can leverage each other to build something big.

It's not always easy to get everyone together and riderville is a bit of a mess. the calgary forum scinded accidentally when the gostampsgo site went down and another started to take its place but then the original site morphed into a new one and now you have two well established sites. They each respect one another but some admins just can't stand each other and are better off doing their own thing.

If this site is independent of the team that makes it the true voice of argofans not afraid to speak in klingonese and rock rock til you drop.

Mulder
02-15-2013, 01:52 PM

The main reason why the forums are under "argofans.com" is because FOA didn't want the forums under friendsoftheargonauts.com any more. It had to do with some negative media attention we received at the time. Some posters said some things, and some people with inside knowledge were spreading information that didn't need to be said in public. It wasn't my decision but FOA that wanted it gone. So Argofans.com was reborn. I can't see a merger happening anytime soon.

As for the Admirals, as pointed out in this thread, it took them almost a year to find the only Argo forum on the Internet, (Or Star Trek and TFC forum, depending who you ask). IMO, All of the Argo's Admirals should have been here and posting the second they found it. Creating content and Argo discussion. Not one of them reached out during the past season.

294life
02-15-2013, 02:01 PM
The main reason why the forums are under "argofans.com" is because FOA didn't want the forums under friendsoftheargonauts.com any more. It had to do with some negative media attention we received at the time. Some posters said some things, and some people with inside knowledge were spreading information that didn't need to be said in public. It wasn't my decision but FOA that wanted it gone. So Argofans.com was reborn. I can't see a merger happening anytime soon.

As for the Admirals, as pointed out in this thread, it took them almost a year to find the only Argo forum on the Internet, (Or Star Trek and TFC forum, depending who you ask). IMO, All of the Argo's Admirals should have been here and posting the second they found it. Creating content and Argo discussion. Not one of them reached out during the past season.

The team missed the playoffs 3 out of 4 years before 2012 with a combined 13 wins in those 3 years. It's a bit natural to have some tension under those circumstances. Admirals missed the boat on the year it Really mattered. Still, better late than never i guess.

AngeloV
02-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Again, I don't understand why this is becoming an us vs. them thing. So what if they took a long time to recognize this forum? I personally have not followed the Admiras, but the way I see it, the two really should embrace each other and stop with the stupid "What is that suppossed to mean?" questions when they say stuff like real Argos fans are here. It's called advetising. They never stated that Real Argos fans aren't on this forum, so why the knee jerk reactions?

Not that anyone cares, but I really am close to being done with this forum.

Mulder
02-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Again, I don't understand why this is becoming an us vs. them thing. So what if they took a long time to recognize this forum? I personally have not followed the Admiras, but the way I see it, the two really should embrace each other and stop with the stupid "What is that suppossed to mean?" questions when they say stuff like real Argos fans are here. It's called advetising. They never stated that Real Argos fans aren't on this forum, so why the knee jerk reactions?

I don't know why you are getting upset about it? I've never said it was an us vs them thing.

I'm stating that in my opinion on what the Argos Admirals should have been doing, which was creating content and talking with other Argo Fans on the only Argonaut forum on the Internet. The Blog's are twitter are good, but we SHOULD be working together getting fans engaged. I've said that none of reached out at all, and when I've asked them to promote my forum and events (as meetups) they go unnoticed, so I gave up.

I also think questioning what a "True fans perspective" is, when posted on an Argo Forum, is a perfectly valid question. We are all True fans here, and we all have our own perceptive on things. Is one more right than the other? No. Is one fans perceptive more true? No. It's a matter of opinion and encourages discussion. Which, overall is the point of having a forum.

As for being done, that's up to you. Hate to see you go.

294life
02-15-2013, 02:49 PM

I care.... but if you must commit forum suicide i suggest you tell argoholic there really is no Santa.

AaronInToronto
02-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Actually, I do remember the Byron Parker thing now. Hard to prevent flaming like that even on the most professional sites. If FOA was the events wing, ArgoFans the forum wing, and Admirals the communications arm, this could work under one umbrella. You've doen a good job here with the linkages in the mast head above.

Let me churn this for a while. I need a side project to keep me fresh during the offseason.

T-Bone
02-15-2013, 03:41 PM
the FOA is technically independent I guess
They were being advertised as the official fan club at games last year though. Doesn't that mean the team is involved with them?

Actually, I do remember the Byron Parker thing now. Hard to prevent flaming like that even on the most professional sites. If FOA was the events wing, ArgoFans the forum wing, and Admirals the communications arm, this could work under one umbrella. You've doen a good job here with the linkages in the mast head above.

Let me churn this for a while. I need a side project to keep me fresh during the offseason.
For what I can see FOA puts on only one event a year and this place was already affiliated with them but that affiliation was dissolved. As for the Admirals, they responded to your tweet and said that they would have to talk to the team about any sort of affiliation with us. Personally I would hate to see this place go cooperate.

ArgoRavi
02-15-2013, 04:41 PM
As far as this forum goes, I like that it is independent of the team. This encourages everyone to be free with their comments with the exception of being libelous of course. IMO, all three groups - FOA, Argofans.com, and the Admirals - fulfill different functions and I see no problem with each doing their own thing. At the end of the day, they each complement one another.

jerrym
02-15-2013, 04:56 PM
As far as this forum goes, I like that it is independent of the team. This encourages everyone to be free with their comments with the exception of being libelous of course. IMO, all three groups - FOA, Argofans.com, and the Admirals - fulfill different functions and I see no problem with each doing their own thing. At the end of the day, they each complement one another.

My sentiments exactly. Can we let this topic go and celebrate the return of Kackert instead?

294life
02-15-2013, 05:01 PM
My sentiments exactly. Can we let this topic go and celebrate the return of Kackert instead?

amen. besides the admirals don't even have 300 likes on their FB page yet.

matchuk
02-15-2013, 10:46 PM
how about this.....if you like this site and want to remain here, then do so....if you dont like it then leave....

if you like the admirals, then continue to follow them, if not then press "unfollow"

its not brain surgery....

294life
02-18-2013, 12:33 PM
for those who want to see Daniele she's on the Candid Frank and Lively show tonight at 10 PM.

argotom
02-18-2013, 01:53 PM
This forum is good as no matter what opinion that each of us has or may share with others is the bond that keeps us together, or should at least, being Argo fans.
Keeping it civil folks!

Mulder
02-18-2013, 04:17 PM

Yup. I agree. I did think that the Admirals would have a more engaged approach here. Either they had a "What people are saying about the team/game" on their own site, much like the CFL Water Cooler, or post and interact. That's all I've been saying.

AaronInToronto
02-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks All,

Didn't want to tip the turnip cart with any suggestions. Was only thinking outside of the three boxes on building presence of all three channels with some sealmless integration. Perhaps I'm overthinking it, afterall, I tend to look at the gigantic picture in my Marketing world, not just the Big picture. Agreed that this forum should not be affiliated corporately, nor should FOA.

294life
02-19-2013, 05:25 PM
as long as they don't ever get rear admiraled it's all good.

T-Bone
03-21-2013, 08:52 AM
In case anyone here is interested: Argos Admirals Application (http://www.argonauts.ca/argos-admirals-application)

1argoholic
03-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Met a guy I've known for years at Grey Cup and he mentioned that he was an Argo Admiral. He is a great guy and a big fan as his whole family is other than that I know very little about what they do.

T-Bone
03-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Met a guy I've known for years at Grey Cup and he mentioned that he was an Argo Admiral. He is a great guy and a big fan as his whole family is other than that I know very little about what they do.
As far as I know they do this (http://argosadmirals.com/) and this (https://twitter.com/ArgosAdmirals).

1argoholic
03-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Well neither can hurt. I'm not into following but many would be you'd think.

T-Bone
03-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Well neither can hurt. I'm not into following but many would be you'd think.
Sure it can hurt. If the quality of the articles and tweets are low it doesn't look good for the team as they are officially sanctioned by the Argos. That was the debate that was going on earlier in this thread.

1argoholic
03-21-2013, 06:24 PM
I guess in my mind it's kids following that sort of stuff. Really means squat to me as I've been a diehard for 43 years. The local TO media has tried it's best to turn fans off for years. At least these folks are fans. The guy I know is a huge fan as are his folks. If the Argo word is being spread I'm cool with that. Everyone has their own thoughts. The Argos will be stuck with me as long as I live.

T-Bone
03-22-2013, 08:29 AM
I guess in my mind it's kids following that sort of stuff. Really means squat to me as I've been a diehard for 43 years. The local TO media has tried it's best to turn fans off for years. At least these folks are fans. The guy I know is a huge fan as are his folks. If the Argo word is being spread I'm cool with that. Everyone has their own thoughts. The Argos will be stuck with me as long as I live.
I'm sure their target audience is not just children and I have no problem with the idea behind the Argos Admirals, a group of fans engaging fans. I'm not worried about them turning away existing fans of the team because I'm sure many have either embraced them or like myself tuned them out due to the quality of the work. If anything my concern is that the Argos Admirals are helping reinforce the mass media created perception that the team and organization is amateur to potential new fans. I know the Argos Admirals are amateur writers but at the same time simple spelling, grammar, etc. in their articles should be edited before posted, especially since they are connected to the team in an official capacity. If it was a group that formed organically then I wouldn't care as much but even then simple editing should not be so difficult.

1argoholic
03-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Oh for sure someone better be checking spelling and the like but I'm not sure most seem to care about that anymore. I'm not into texting or tweeting but I've seen how the english language has been slaughtered by many folks. They should look professional because although I'm not reading I guess it could come across as bush league. If they can get quality Admirals it couldn't hurt, let's say that.

294life
03-22-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm not into texting or tweeting but I've seen how the english language has been slaughtered by many folks

u haf eny prooff to backe upp ur staytement?

Will
03-22-2013, 01:34 PM
u haf eny prooff to backe upp ur staytement?

No because you've butchered it beyond how anyone actually butchers it. The way that the "new generation" would write that is: u have ne proof 2 back up ur statement.

ArgoRavi
03-22-2013, 05:15 PM
No because you've butchered it beyond how anyone actually butchers it. The way that the "new generation" would write that is: u have ne proof 2 back up ur statement.

Believe me when I say that I have seen too many of my students butcher the English language as badly as 294life's example. :cry:

Will
03-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Believe me when I say that I have seen too many of my students butcher the English language as badly as 294life's example. :cry:

I believe it--it's a wonder that at a post-secondary educational level that there re dumb dumbs still around.

1argoholic
03-22-2013, 05:24 PM
I want no part of that english and believe me I wasn't huge on english classes through school. If these youngsters keep it up I'll be looking smarter and smarter. haha. I guess many kids as in teens have serious english issues at this point.

AngeloV
03-22-2013, 05:38 PM
I want no part of that english and believe me I wasn't huge on english classes through school. If these youngsters keep it up I'll be looking smarter and smarter. haha. I guess many kids as in teens have serious english issues at this point.

It's the short cut society we live in. With all the texting going on these days, it's all about abbreviations.

Argocister
03-22-2013, 05:50 PM
It's the short cut society we live in. With all the texting going on these days, it's all about abbreviations.

Reminds me of old fashioned shorthand .......just a bit different. I never learned it but some of my "older" friends did.
:O

ArgoGabe22
03-26-2013, 02:47 PM
I actually applied just to see what will happen. Its too much work for a volunteer position, especially when you have other things going on. Now I have to set up a webcam for an interview, which I have not done yet. I also need to send in a resume, which is fine but I'm not sure what they expect. Do I have experience with social media? I think the biggest thing for me is I enjoy watching the game with family/friends in peace and there is no way I will be posting updates on social media sites every two seconds. Thinking of making a blog for rookie camp instead or interviews with alumni and so on.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8