PDA

View Full Version : Argonauts - 1998 to Present - 12 Win Regular Season?

Skilz
06-11-2018, 05:41 PM
With the advent of the 2018 season up on I took the liberty of examining the Toronto Argonauts record over the past 20 years, to assess our historical play.

To be fair, during the heydays of 1996-1997 I was a young pup in elementary school watching the snowy Grey Cup. After my friends at Wikipedia were able to provide the historical data, I came to the following conclusions. More information available here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toronto_Argonauts_seasons

GOOD

We won 3 Grey Cups in the past 20 years – 1998-2018. Hurray! Given the turmoil, ownership –Braley and Sokowloski years we have much to be thankful for.

Catching Momentum Fire – Two of our past three Grey Cups are with .500 records – not exactly steam rollers – but hard work, camaraderie, and the “Argo Bounce” – all led to wins.

BAD

Anthony Calvillo OWNED our Team. We had a 1-4 Record Against him the East Final. It was at our expense that the Alouettes, cashed in at the Grey Cup. Albeit, they never could finish the job – but one could wish, as to what could have been.
Our overall, 3-6 record in the final is also abysmal. What is glossed over, is the fact that our 3 Grey Cup appearances all led to victories.

The Argonauts have never won more than 11 games in the regular season for the past 20 years. Astonishing. We would have to go back to the aforementioned “heyday” to see Flutie et al, carve opposing defences with Don Matthews at the helm to see more than 11 Wins.

In the past 20 years, exactly a 11 Win Season seems to be a “curse”. In all 3 season we won 11; 2005, 2007 and 2013 – we lost in the East Final, and squandered said opportunity to advance to the Grey Cup.

UGLY

3 of our worst regular seasons have occurred in the past 10 years. 4 Wins in 2008, 3 Wins in 2009, 5 wins in 2016. Definitely, some lean years, and not something to be proud of.

John Huard. Gary Etchiverry. Bart Andrus – Need I say more. Wow. Knowing Marc Trestman is at the helm – is hope for better coaching days ahead.

7 of 20 – Seven of the last 20 years, our team did not even make the playoffs. All things considered – as fans we experienced, the HIGH of the Grey Cup Championship and the LOW of being the worst team in the League – in a span of 3 seasons.

Will
06-11-2018, 06:59 PM
I believe I touched on this in a prior post/thread -- but the Argos from 1998 to 2002 saw instability at QB. In 2004, 2006 and 2007 there was an early-season injury to the QBs that saw the Argos struggle until Labour Day.

It would be nice to get above that 11-7 mark.

R.J
06-11-2018, 07:06 PM
I believe I touched on this in a prior post/thread -- but the Argos from 1998 to 2002 saw instability at QB. In 2004, 2006 and 2007 there was an early-season injury to the QBs that saw the Argos struggle until Labour Day.

It would be nice to get above that 11-7 mark.
I like the sound of 15-3.

PullTogether73
06-11-2018, 07:41 PM
I always accept a Grey Cup championship as the ultimate arbiter of success.

However, I also lament the pathetic disparity between the east and west divisions and the relative ease with which an eastern team qualifies for the playoffs, and can get hot/lucky for a few short weeks and win the GC.
Therefore, my minimum measure of a successful regular season is a 9-9 record.

smokeslet'sgo
06-11-2018, 11:36 PM
As far as Calvillo is concerned, the 2005 East final still bothers me when I think about it. Almost 45k at the Dome, an amazing crowd, we had a great team, we go out in front early in the game and then absolutely stunk it out the rest of the game. If the Argos would have won that game it would have been HUGE for the fanbase. There wasn't much going for Toronto at the time, and for some reason (I wish I knew what it was) Toronto got behind the Argos that day and were ready to Party. But we blew the game. I don't think the city has gotten behind the team in the same way since, except maybe the 100th Grey Cup. Certainly never for a non-Cup game. Last year's EF was good but the crowd was half of what we had in 05. Just one of those things that always sticks in my mind. That one game

Argo57
06-12-2018, 07:38 AM
As far as Calvillo is concerned, the 2005 East final still bothers me when I think about it. Almost 45k at the Dome, an amazing crowd, we had a great team, we go out in front early in the game and then absolutely stunk it out the rest of the game. If the Argos would have won that game it would have been HUGE for the fanbase. There wasn't much going for Toronto at the time, and for some reason (I wish I knew what it was) Toronto got behind the Argos that day and were ready to Party. But we blew the game. I don't think the city has gotten behind the team in the same way since, except maybe the 100th Grey Cup. Certainly never for a non-Cup game. Last year's EF was good but the crowd was half of what we had in 05. Just one of those things that always sticks in my mind. That one game

Argonauts were doing well until RJ Soward pulled the infamous popcorn stunt after scoring a TD, fired up the Montreal sideline.
TSN turning point.

Will
06-12-2018, 09:25 AM
The Argos were over-matched by the Alouettes in the 2002 and 2010 Eastern Finals. Those losses weren't of any surprise. The 2003 game was close, but I still think the Als were the better team that year. The 2004 and 2012 wins were great. The 2005 east final was definitely a let-down. The 2006 east final was too because it would've been interesting to see what would've happened if Bishop started instead of Damon Allen. The Argos offence in 2006 was very weak.

ArgoRavi
06-13-2018, 12:54 AM
The Argos were over-matched by the Alouettes in the 2002 and 2010 Eastern Finals. Those losses weren't of any surprise. The 2003 game was close, but I still think the Als were the better team that year. The 2004 and 2012 wins were great. The 2005 east final was definitely a let-down. The 2006 east final was too because it would've been interesting to see what would've happened if Bishop started instead of Damon Allen. The Argos offence in 2006 was very weak.

The 2006 Argo defence wasn't as good either. Clifford Ivory, for one, was on his last legs.

jerrym
06-13-2018, 12:58 AM
Last year showed that even if you struggle during the regular season, you can go all the way if you are improving in the second half of the season.

macspectrum
06-13-2018, 11:33 AM
regular season record is important but i am much more concerned with getting to grey cup
not always winning it, but getting there is important
that being said 11 or better wins is ok for me
perhaps the argos can follow in the footsteps of the als, especially now with calvillo as coach

Will
06-14-2018, 05:08 PM
The 2006 Argo defence wasn't as good either. Clifford Ivory, for one, was on his last legs.

Was it? I seem to remember the Argos winning games because of their defence in 2006.

ArgoRavi
06-14-2018, 07:58 PM
Was it? I seem to remember the Argos winning games because of their defence in 2006.

They weren't terrible but I would rank the 2006 defence as the weakest of the Argo defences of the 2003 to 2007 era. I would actually rate the 2007 one as the strongest after they made some necessary changes following 2006. The 2006 defence gave up a lot of points in the post-season.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8