PDA

View Full Version : Half-Time Show (100th Grey Cup) talk

Mulder
05-23-2012, 12:53 PM
I thought there was another post somewhere, but can't find it

Anyways,

I found out the Justin Beiber (ulgh) is not only available, but he's actually in the area. I'm hoping it's not a matter of convenience for the CFL. Damnit. He plays in Ottawa the Friday and Montreal Monday.

The CFL better not get any ideas.

Before you all are like "Mulder, why you looking up Justin beiber concerts?" I came across the article reading the National Post. Thought to myself, well I hope he's not available for the 100th GC. Then proceeded to swear a few times.
Concert lists are a good way to see what bands are available and who isn't.

I have a feeling it'll be a mash up of older Canadian bands with new ones as well. probably a little Toronto biased (no Drake either pls)

1argoholic
05-23-2012, 02:02 PM
99% of the time Grey Cup halftimes suck right along with Super Bowl. I LOVED Lenny Kravits last Toronto Grey Cup. Lenny rocked and the sound quality was good. Not many or should I say any bands that I listen to would have a shot. I love Toronto's own Danko Jones even though he now lives over seas. For example I went to see The Spittin Cobras, The Real Mckenzies and The Reverand Horton Heat twice last week. Smokin rock and roll, Celtic punk and rockabilly and all were great. None of the boring mainstream shite or rehashed crap of yesteryear that usually plays Grey Cup. I still like a Cirque type halftime but that could be too long to set up and take down.

Mulder
05-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Out of the Grey Cup's I've been too (the last 5) I haven't minded the half-time show, except for Montreal, which was just brutal, probably due to the sound system. But I didn't care for the band either. I'm a huge fan of Blue Rodeo so I didn't mind them either. For me, it's close between Bachman and Turner and Lenny for best half-time show I've seen.

1argoholic
05-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Yah Blue Rodeo is good.

paulwoods13
05-23-2012, 05:37 PM
I was in the 500s and Kravitz sounded terrible where I was. It must be almost impossible to get good sound in that entire building, especially when the PA system has to be set up on a few minute's notice.

Most actual CFL fans wouldn't be too pleased, but Bieber would generate a lot of buzz among younger folks, not a bad thing for the league. Personally, I'm still holding out (slim) hope for Arcade Fire but the fact that when they won the Grammy a ton of people asked "Arcade Who?" doesn't make me very optimistic.

ArgoRavi
05-24-2012, 12:02 AM
I honestly can't stand Bieber myself but the reality is that he would generate enormous media attention outside of the sports media for the CFL and Grey Cup so I would not be at all surprised to see him involved in the halftime show.

LLB997
05-24-2012, 01:29 AM
RUSH, case closed. The CFL is insane to look at anyone else for the 100th. Legendary Toronto Band.

ArgoRavi
05-24-2012, 11:59 AM
I suspect that there may be multiple performers from different genres at this year's Grey Cup halftime show like the NFL has done at past Super Bowls.

Mulder
05-24-2012, 03:07 PM
RUSH, case closed. The CFL is insane to look at anyone else for the 100th. Legendary Toronto Band.

Unfortunately Rush is scheduled to play in Pheniox the date of the Grey Cup.

1argoholic
05-24-2012, 11:55 PM
In all reality I never expect much from a Grey Cup halftime. Even if it was a great band I've always hated the big stadium show deal anyway. I prefer to see bands at bars. The band is close as is the bar and can.

argonaut11xx
05-25-2012, 10:01 AM
I hope the organizers pick the BEST act availible...not some sub par band just because they are Canadian...

ArgoGabe22
05-25-2012, 11:00 AM
And I hope they don't pick some famous band/singer/group just because they are famous eg. Black Eyed Peas

matchuk
05-25-2012, 10:16 PM
i really dont care who plays because halftime is when....

a) i take a leak
b) i get some more beer

Will
05-27-2012, 11:03 AM

This is a pity! Maybe they can be convinced to re-schedule that date.

gilthethrill
05-27-2012, 03:23 PM
How about Neal Young? Trooper may be available these days too.

LLB997
05-27-2012, 04:39 PM
How about Neal Young? Trooper may be available these days too.

lol, trooper. thats pretty good. Hey why not shoot for the moon and get Haywire.

argolio
05-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Anyone would be better than Trooper. Anyone!

1argoholic
05-28-2012, 01:29 AM
At least no one said Glass Tiger. hahahaha. CRRRRAP!!!!! Oh I have it Platinum Blonde. haha.

294life
05-28-2012, 02:21 AM
At least no one said Glass Tiger. hahahaha. CRRRRAP!!!!! Oh I have it Platinum Blonde. haha.

might as well add Gowan and Luba to this prestigious list.

Make it Anne Murray so everyone can take a leak.

1argoholic
05-28-2012, 03:14 PM
hahaha, Anne Murry, we don't need people leaping off the 500 level killing themselves.

I hope it's not a whole whack of shite Canadian singers on a stage singing We Are The CFL.....haha.

I'd like to see some smokin Rockabilly band or Danco Jones. The place would be smokin. But it'll surely be some washed up lame ass act or very mainstream CRRRRAAAAP!!!!

294life
05-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Leonard Cohen. If the riders play for the west it'll lull their fans to sleep.

1argoholic
06-11-2012, 12:25 AM
I think they might have Mosca, Kapp two at halftime. The place would go nuts.

argofandave
06-15-2012, 04:06 PM

I read this wrong. I told my friend, who's a huge Rush fan, that Rush is playing at Club Phoenix in Toronto on Grey Cup Sunday but he didn't believe me. I guess he's right.

paulwoods13
06-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Neil Young is on tour then, in Ottawa on the Saturday and in Boston on the Monday, with an open date on the Sunday. I'd say that makes him the favourite at this point. His dad wrote many fantastic columns about the CFL back in the day, FWIW.

294life
06-16-2012, 05:33 PM
sounds good as long as there isn't a Downsview park repeat.

argonaut11xx
06-16-2012, 08:23 PM
im with Brian Burke on this topic.....

I DONT CARE what it says on their passport...i just want the best talent.....

hiring someone just cause they are canadian is the wrong move...Toronto got it right last Grey Cup...(im no Lenny Kravitz fan)..but they did get the hottest, best, etc.... hopefully they do the same again...

Mulder
06-17-2012, 01:01 AM
im with Brian Burke on this topic.....

I DONT CARE what it says on their passport...i just want the best talent.....

On this topic, which I find interesting, is what constitutes 'best talent'? I've been more entertained by pub bands, some of which, in my opinion, are far more talented than the bigger bands.
And even if it's meant by a popular band, well, the majority of people these days are never satisfied.

Case and Point:
Big Music Fest (Yes that's what it's called) is happened in my town today.
Set list inculded.
Marianas Trench, Arkells, The Sheepdogs, Metric,Three Days Grace pretty popular bands. Yet quite a few people were saying "I'm not going because the bands suck" .

4 of these people I responded with, "well they are pretty popular bands, who would you prefer?" 3 couldn't answer, and one wanted U2! wtf.

1argoholic
06-17-2012, 02:42 AM
I'll only go to see bands at bars. Some great bands that tour Canada or North America in beat up vans but put on great shows for the love of music. It's amazing what's beyond those few channels on your fm dial. I never listen to radio either. Real killer rockabilly music to be found everywhere. Fun bands that would smoke at Grey Cup but most want a mainstream name. Most mainstream is garbage.

1argoholic
07-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Not Canadian but I'd love to see and hear the only mainstreamish band I love Green Day. They'd blow the roof off the joint. I'd still prefer Toronto's own Danko Jones but he lives over seas now.

LLB997
07-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Are Dayglo Abortions available?

tc23
07-17-2012, 09:16 AM
The Tragicaly Hip is rumoured to be playing the Grey Cup !!

Will
07-17-2012, 09:17 AM
The Tragicaly Hip is rumoured to be playing the Grey Cup !!

Wouldn't surprise me.

294life
07-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Hmmm....last time the Tragically Hip performed at the Grey Cup the winners were.......:hug:

1argoholic
07-17-2012, 10:30 AM
The Hip just played an out show called Rock the Shores in Victoria on Friday. There were delays because of a great lightning show which is very rare for these parts. I've seen lightning maybe ten times in ten years.

Dayglo Abortions would be great just to see peoples reactions. One of the guys who I think just left the band owned or owns a T shirt spot in Vic and had one in TO as well. When we first moved here I'd go in a talk with him. My Ramone t's and hoddie came from him. Great little store for band merch.

Grey
07-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Shania Twain, Chantal Kreviazuk, Sarah McLanclan, Neil Young, no heavy metals please.

anthonyrussell
07-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Shania Twain, Chantal Kreviazuk, Sarah McLanclan, Neil Young, no heavy metals please.

Oh so old skool metal would be AMAZING. Won't happen sadly. Someone suggested Rush, seems a good shout. Not some terrible country gumf, nice listenable rock for all and Canadian.

shayman
07-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Oh so old skool metal would be AMAZING. Won't happen sadly. Someone suggested Rush, seems a good shout. Not some terrible country gumf, nice listenable rock for all and Canadian.

Rush would have been great but unfortunately they're playing in Phoenix on Grey Cup Sunday.
http://www.rush.com/clockworkangelstour.php

1argoholic
08-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Metric plays The ACC on Sat Nov 24th. I don't listen to the radio and seriously know very few radio played bands but I've heard Metric four or five times and don't mind them at all. Aren't they a TO band. Easy switch over from the ACC to a scaled down stage for Grey Cup. I wouldn't mind that.

Midnight Blue
08-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Remember a few years or so ago, when an Argos game had to be moved because the "Wiggles", a kids band/clown act was booked and performing on that day at the Skydome? I think we better have The Wiggles (or whatever they are called) play at half-time, just to be safe, so that they don't pre-empt The Grey Cup. This would also appease any fans out there, who are too old to enjoy some Metal at half-time.

Cheers !

Argocister
08-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Remember a few years or so ago, when an Argos game had to be moved because the "Wiggles", a kids band/clown act was booked and performing on that day at the Skydome? I think we better have The Wiggles (or whatever they are called) play at half-time, just to be safe, so that they don't pre-empt The Grey Cup. This would also appease any fans out there, who are too old to enjoy some Metal at half-time.

Cheers !
Good marketing idea for a regular season home game half time show. We would have to open the top section...... And maybe some ticket holders would stay for the second half.

KCargosfan
08-16-2012, 12:17 AM

Agreed. That would be awesome.

shayman
08-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Great idea - except Rush is playing in Phoenix on Grey Cup Sunday.

LLB997
08-16-2012, 01:24 AM
Ok, no Rush, ummm? Are Coney Hatch available? :]

294life
08-16-2012, 04:38 PM

Cheers !

That game happened to be the 2004 east semi against hammy on the road to the grey cup. Played on a friday instead of sunday. Forever part of Grey Cup legend and lore.

Gill The Thrill
08-21-2012, 02:51 AM
Great idea - except Rush is playing in Phoenix on Grey Cup Sunday.

Thank God, Rush is a little too pretentious as far as I'm concerned, especially for a Grey Cup celebration.

Bryan Adams has been done, BTO has been done, The Guess Who was possibly done...Are there any worthy contemporary acts that are Canadian...maybe that Jepson girl, I believe she is Canadian but is she famous enough for a Grey Cup audience.

My bet would be the 'Barenaked Ladies'. Not a favourite of mine, but fairly famous to several generations of Canadians. They are also not as old as the "Guess Who" or "Trooper" but are not so contemporary that they would be unknown to some of the older than 30, 40, or 50 year olds in the audience

argonaut11xx
08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Thank God, Rush is a little too pretentious as far as I'm concerned, especially for a Grey Cup celebration.

Bryan Adams has been done, BTO has been done, The Guess Who was possibly done...Are there any worthy contemporary acts that are Canadian...maybe that Jepson girl, I believe she is Canadian but is she famous enough for a Grey Cup audience.

My bet would be the 'Barenaked Ladies'. Not a favourite of mine, but fairly famous to several generations of Canadians. They are also not as old as the "Guess Who" or "Trooper" but are not so contemporary that they would be unknown to some of the older than 30, 40, or 50 year olds in the audience

why not just get the BEST talent, instead of forcing some sub par entertainer down our throats just because they are Canadian....

1argoholic
08-21-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't mind The Bare Naked Ladies for a few songs. We have a few cd's that get played on the odd long roadtrip. Breaks up all my rock and roll, celtic punk and rockabilly stuff. They are a fun TO band. I left classic rock back in the 70's after I first heard The Ramones. I can't stand classic rock which we usually get. If we had Rush I'd have to go for a long wizz. Lees voice makes me want to go postal.

294life
08-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Alanis Morissette is back. Her tour ends November 1st. 'Always too hot,never too cold'. :ohno:

paulwoods13
08-21-2012, 05:46 PM
maybe that Jepson girl, I believe she is Canadian but is she famous enough for a Grey Cup audience.

No. 1 song for weeks on Billboard -- she is huge internationally and in Cda right now. If they got her and Bieber (who is a supporter of Carly Rae), they would attract some international media attention and a huge crowd of tweens/teens. That may not do anything for all of us but could help build a new generation of fans. Nonetheless, I am betting either BNL or Neil Young.

LLB997
08-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Jeez, i hope its not BNL. Neil Young would be ok, But something more agressive sounding would be good. BTO and Tickleback delivered volume which always gets people pumped up. Maybe ac/dc?

Treblecharger1
08-21-2012, 06:47 PM
I think we will be getting Neil Young ( Which is awesome) The Tragically Hip have an album come out and are also featured in the GC ads that have been playing. Broken Social Scene should open up the game!

paulwoods13
08-21-2012, 07:04 PM
My dream is Arcade Fire and Broken Social Scene, but sadly that will never happen. AF would be amazing, tho.

1argoholic
08-21-2012, 07:45 PM
I want Danko Jones who is from TO but now lives over seas. Danko has some smoking stuff. I love Code Of The Road. Most likely not mainstream enough although I bet Edge 102 stills plays a bunch of Danko.
That Jepson girl is a young lady of like 24 who looks 16. She's as cute as a button.

ArgoRavi
08-22-2012, 04:39 AM
How about Kim Mitchell? :D

Will
08-22-2012, 10:13 AM
My dream is Arcade Fire and Broken Social Scene, but sadly that will never happen. AF would be amazing, tho.

I'd be content with just Arcade Fire. Never got into Broken Social Scene.

paulwoods13
08-22-2012, 10:24 AM
I think the Argos should adopt Arcade Fire's Wake Up as a game-day anthem -- their version of Shout (Bills), Chelsea Dagger (Blackhawks), Ole Ole (Habs and others) -- a song that becomes associated with the team and is easy to sing along to. Wake Up is a rousing piece with a "Woh-oh" part that the crowd could join in on -- very inspirational.

argonaut11xx
08-22-2012, 01:18 PM
AC/DC would be awesome.....but highly unlikely....

How about a band with edgy tunes like "The Black Keys"... they would be much better than any of the second rate Canadian talent being bandied about on this forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZJLi0f0ZIA

AngeloV
08-22-2012, 01:30 PM
How about Kim Mitchell? :D

IIRC, he played pre game outside the stadium in '07.

paulwoods13
08-22-2012, 01:36 PM

How about a band with edgy tunes like "The Black Keys"... they would be much better than any of the second rate Canadian talent being bandied about on this forum.

Better? Or merely preferred by you? Musical taste is individual. There is no "better" or "worse," and to suggest otherwise demeans the perfectly valid opinions of others. Some folks like Bieber, some like Stompin' Tom, some like Nickelback, some like Celine Dion, Anne Murray, D.O.A., April Wine, etc. etc. etc. No one is "right" about who they like or don't like. You may dislike someone I like, and vice versa. Neither of us is "right."

1argoholic
08-22-2012, 02:08 PM
I'd hope it's some football themed Cirque Du Soilae or however it's spelled show.

Little Danko Jones to rock yah! www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKhhlUdskwc

294life
08-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Avril Lavigne singing wedding songs with Chad.

1argoholic
08-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Man I know, what's with that. How did this unlikely pair end up together? I'd listen to her music over his. haha. Looks like she's on her second lead singer marriage in her young life.

LLB997
08-22-2012, 05:59 PM

Please no rehash rock. If i want the 70's sound, i'll listen to a 70's band. Enough of this 70's interpretation from guys born in 1989.

Mike Patton - "Wolfmother, you suck" - 2010

1argoholic
08-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Speaking of rehash how about Sheepdung I mean Sheepdogs. CRAAAAP! I do Know!

294life
08-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Man I know, what's with that. How did this unlikely pair end up together? I'd listen to her music over his. haha. Looks like she's on her second lead singer marriage in her young life.

Maybe now Nickelback will suck less and play in Detroit for NFL thanksgiving.

Gill The Thrill
08-25-2012, 05:13 PM
I want Danko Jones who is from TO but now lives over seas. Danko has some smoking stuff. I love Code Of The Road. Most likely not mainstream enough although I bet Edge 102 stills plays a bunch of Danko.
That Jepson girl is a young lady of like 24 who looks 16. She's as cute as a button.Jepson is actually 26, but I know what you mean. I was releived to absolve myself of any guilt for appreciating the looks of this spring chicken once I learned she was 26....she must live a clean life, no booze or drugs to enhance premature wrinkles or has one heck of a makeup person.

Gill The Thrill
08-25-2012, 05:19 PM
As much as many despise her, many love Celine Dion and she is truly an international star...Getting Celine Dion to agree to do a halftime show would be a no-brainer and get the MOST publicity for the CFL and the Grey Cup than just about any other artist...maybe the stones, or Springsteen, Peter Gabriel would get as much but do you see any of those guys coming.

Gill The Thrill
08-25-2012, 05:30 PM
No. 1 song for weeks on Billboard -- she is huge internationally and in Cda right now. If they got her and Bieber (who is a supporter of Carly Rae), they would attract some international media attention and a huge crowd of tweens/teens. That may not do anything for all of us but could help build a new generation of fans. Nonetheless, I am betting either BNL or Neil Young.

I don't know if these halftime shows or special events actually do help in bringing new fans, but it sure does not hurt.

I hate to say this but it may actually help in that it will make tweens or teens possibly take notice that their is a professional league in Canada, and that the CFL actually exists. Perhaps if they like the game, they may take notice that they have the option to watch a pro football game without having to get a passport and going to Buffalo.

Neil Young and BNL would be safe...Did Neil Young ever play the Grey Cup. I think he was at the 1994 game between the Lions and Stallions at BC place if memory serves me well.

ArgoRavi
08-25-2012, 06:45 PM
As much as many despise her, many love Celine Dion and she is truly an international star...Getting Celine Dion to agree to do a halftime show would be a no-brainer and get the MOST publicity for the CFL and the Grey Cup than just about any other artist...maybe the stones, or Springsteen, Peter Gabriel would get as much but do you see any of those guys coming.

Celine Dion performed at the '92 Grey Cup in Toronto. Wasn't the great Dan Hill at that one too?

ArgoRavi
08-25-2012, 06:47 PM
I don't know if these halftime shows or special events actually do help in bringing new fans, but it sure does not hurt.

I hate to say this but it may actually help in that it will make tweens or teens possibly take notice that their is a professional league in Canada, and that the CFL actually exists. Perhaps if they like the game, they may take notice that they have the option to watch a pro football game without having to get a passport and going to Buffalo.

Neil Young and BNL would be safe...Did Neil Young ever play the Grey Cup. I think he was at the 1994 game between the Lions and Stallions at BC place if memory serves me well.

There was certainly a lot of buzz when Shania Twain performed at the '02 Grey Cup which drew a then-record in TV ratings. The special Lotto 6-49 draw that they did didn't hurt either. I wonder why they didn't make that a staple of the Grey Cup?

paulwoods13
08-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Celine hasn't had a hit record in a hell of a long time. She has disappeared into the maw of perpetual Vegas shows and is not nearly the celebrity she was a decade ago. I think such a choice -- essentially a once-famous, expensive lounge act -- would generate a lot more guffaws than positive interest.

1argoholic
08-25-2012, 07:09 PM
I know one thing for sure if Celine is the halftime the can will be filled as will the concourse. Bad choice for a Grey Cup game.
I'd rather see Avrill.

ArgoAnge
09-05-2012, 09:10 PM
The Tea Party would rock! Other good options (Canadian!), Finger Eleven, Three Days Grace, the Headstones... I love Corb Lund too, great Canadian country act but maybe not 'rockin' enough for the Grey Cup, need something to get everyone pumped!
I know a lot of people love them, but I have to say I'm relieved that Rush can't be there, lol.
For those that don't think a Canadian band is good enough (can't believe you don't love some of them!), I would LOVE to see Godsmack, but betting that won't happen, lol.

matchuk
09-05-2012, 10:05 PM
tragically hip i think would be a good fit

1argoholic
09-05-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm with you ArgoAnge. I can't stand Rush and Geddy Lees voice. I really no very few mainstream bands as I haven't listened to radio in ten years. I used to be a big CFNY, then 102.1 The Edge listener. We have The Zone out in Vic which is similar but I still don't hear my music on there. I still would love Danko Jones a TO guy and band that now live over seas. I still think it might be different than just a band.

argolio
09-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Wow, I never figured you for a CFNY fan. I couldn't stand that station in the 80s. Too much wanker music.

AngeloV
09-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Wow, I never figured you for a CFNY fan. I couldn't stand that station in the 80s. Too much wanker music.

Yeah..that depeche mode/new order crap was brutal. It sounded as if they were singing into Johnnie Fever's specially constructed stainless steel vault.

ArgoAnge
09-06-2012, 07:26 AM
1argoholic, I agree that Danko Jones would be cool as well. His website show him on tour up until early November, wonder if he'd come to Canada after... I wish they'd just announce who they've picked, lol.

1argoholic
09-06-2012, 10:52 AM
CFNY played a lot of punk back in the day as well. Once I heard The Ramones I just couldn't listen to RAWK anymore. Lucky enough to see The Ramones smoke the Concert Hall a few times. They were as hard and as fast as it got live. Too bad three are dead. No reunion for my favorite band.
I can't listen to radio as it's all shite now. Great underground of new rock and roll punk bands, rockabilly and the like playing a club near you. haha.
I did like some new wave. Sounds funny now.
Geddy Lee sounds like he's singing though someones jock and loving it.

argofandave
09-07-2012, 12:57 AM
I saw the Ramones at Burlington Central arena around 1982.

geefmon
10-23-2012, 11:58 AM
I would have sworn it would have been RUSH this year... but alas, as another poster noted, it appears they are in Phoenix the same night. My second guess would be Neil Young. Given it is the 100th Grey Cup, you'd have to believe organizers, sponsors, etc. would be clear it needs to be a major Canadian Act. There are plenty of terrific Canadian acts, but not as many that carry the weight necessary to be the half-time act for this big game. The "collection of acts" concept wouldn't surprise me either, but in my opinion, that wouldn't be as good as it should be.

1argoholic
10-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Ramones at Burlington Central Arena? How the hell did I not hear about that. I guess it was close to Hamilton and a good spot for them.

Mulder
10-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Not gonna lie, Probably the worst half-time line up I could think of.

paulwoods13
10-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Some CFL fans obviously won't like the selection of Bieber and Jepsen, but it is a HUGE get by the GC organizers. They are massive international stars, and by far the biggest Canadian performers in the world at the moment. This will get a lot of attention from people (in Cda and elsewhere) who ordinarily would not even be aware of the Grey Cup.

ArgoGabe22
10-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Should have bought more GC tickets and then sell them for $2,500 to a tween. Advertise them as a sold out Bieber concert. Disappointing lineup but I don't listen to mainstream and mainstream was expected so I'm not surprised and expected this tbh. Thinking it would be Drake and Bieber.

ArgoGabe22
10-27-2012, 06:01 PM
I understand trying to get young people involved but do you really think some kid will buy a ticket above face value just to see Bieber live at half time or watch it on tv just for one/two songs. I don't, they could just watch his full concerts in youtube or something if they love watching him sing.

ArgoAnge
10-27-2012, 06:59 PM
There are people saying that this lineup will attract younger viewers, but I strongly disagree. Nobody is going to pay $300+ to see Justin Bieber play a show that is at a football game and shorter than a regular concert. And for those watching at home, if they aren't football fans they'll tune in for the halftime show, then change the channel again. I don't think one halftime show is going to bring a host of young new fans to the CFL. And for the current fans, although I'm sure there is a minority that actually like Justin Bieber, it would have been nice to have some grown-up music. Gordon Lightfoot is slightly better than the others, but kind of overpowered by the three pop acts. I know nobody goes just the the halftime show, but it's supposed to be part of the good time, and I think it should be tailored to the fans that are attending or planning to watch, not potential viewers. If the league wants to attract more people, market the game!

paulwoods13
10-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Man, there's no pleasing some people. The GC will have two of the of the biggest stars on the planet, and that's a bad thing?! Does it somehow make things worse for the fans who actually care about the CFL?

ArgoAnge
10-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Man, there's no pleasing some people. The GC will have two of the of the biggest stars on the planet, and that's a bad thing?! Does it somehow make things worse for the fans who actually care about the CFL?

Biggest stars with teenage girls! Does it make things worse? Well I care about the CFL, and I've got my Grey Cup tickets - it won't harm the game itself in any way, but I and I'm sure many others will be skipping the halftime show in favour of a snack/bathroom break, when we could have been actually entertained.
This won't help the league, I can't believe how many people think this will attract new fans. Do you know how many people watch the Super Bowl halftime on TV, but don't watch any of the game? Same thing will happen here.

paulwoods13
10-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Biggest stars with teenage girls! Does it make things worse? Well I care about the CFL, and I've got my Grey Cup tickets - it won't harm the game itself in any way, but I and I'm sure many others will be skipping the halftime show in favour of a snack/bathroom break, when we could have been actually entertained.
This won't help the league, I can't believe how many people think this will attract new fans. Do you know how many people watch the Super Bowl halftime on TV, but don't watch any of the game? Same thing will happen here.

And the Super Bowl keeps spending mega-bucks to get big stars why, exactly? Is the NFL sad that some people tune in only for halftime? Do you think the commercial rates for halftime might spike just a tad? Do you think maybe this all has to do with revenue? Or do you think everything the CFL does should be about pleasing its existing fans? (Who, by the way, do not all like the same musical acts as each other.)

paulwoods13
10-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Biggest stars with teenage girls!

He/she who sells the most product is the biggest star. So they are in fact the biggest stars, period, regardless of the demographic that finds them most appealing.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 07:37 PM

It at least makes the Grey Cup relevant to and something that many young people will notice, at least for one day. Will this translate into anything for the future? Maybe, maybe not but it can't hurt. CFL fans aren't really going to care about the halftime show as they will be watching regardless so why bother trying to cater to them? This is brilliant marketing by the CFL and Grey Cup Committee IMO and believe me when I say that I am no fan of Bieber.

Will
10-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Well as long as we get to hear Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald I'll be pleased.

ArgoGabe22
10-27-2012, 09:06 PM
I wonder if they'll let people with no game tickets but with concert tickets get on the field at half-time. Not a fan of them doing so and will be a mess to set up and clean up but someone would be willing to pay $$$. Did they let people go on during Lenny Kravitz or am I just confused with the Super Bowl.

DanTheFan
10-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Should have expected all that new stuff to be in the halftime show. I was thinking Bryan Adams might have been part of the show when trying to think up Canadian artists. Lightfoot was a throw in to show the older fans that they weren't completely forgotten. Burton Cummings too, though he's pregame from what I remember. At least we don't get Celine Dion.

matchuk
10-27-2012, 09:27 PM
What a joke. This terrible act at halftime will not ruin the game at all for me. I'm gonna spend that time wisely buying more beer and taking a leak. I understand that this kid is an huge star with lots of cash to show for it, and no matter who played at the half not everyone will be happy but he doesn't appeal to 99 percent of the fans at the game. It's a spit in the face to cfl fans. The cfl doesn't know their fanbase. As mentioned before this kid playing a song or two will not promote more cfl interest if this is their intent. Are they thinking that the 12 year old girl that may watch the half on tv will suddenly become a season ticket holder? Not like they are trying to sell tickets to an already sold out event. I don't get it.

matchuk
10-27-2012, 09:30 PM
And the Super Bowl keeps spending mega-bucks to get big stars why, exactly? Is the NFL sad that some people tune in only for halftime? Do you think the commercial rates for halftime might spike just a tad? Do you think maybe this all has to do with revenue? Or do you think everything the CFL does should be about pleasing its existing fans? (Who, by the way, do not all like the same musical acts as each other.)

Let's face the facts though, the super bowl is all about the halftime show and commercials. The cfl is not. There is the difference.

matchuk
10-27-2012, 09:31 PM
I wonder if they'll let people with no game tickets but with concert tickets get on the field at half-time. Not a fan of them doing so and will be a mess to set up and clean up but someone would be willing to pay $$$. Did they let people go on during Lenny Kravitz or am I just confused with the Super Bowl.

Yeah they let people on the field. My wife and I were asked but declined because it meant we miss most of the second quarter and half of the third.

Downtownfan
10-27-2012, 10:10 PM
This is not for the 50,000 or so in attendance (who bought their tickets with little thought about the halftime show), but the 5 million-plus watching on television. In this way, it is an absolute master stroke. Beiber has 27 million followers on twitter and was ranked by Forbes as the third biggest entertainer in the world last year. Anyone who criticizes this is not looking at the big picture-- exposure for Our League. This will draw the biggest ever ratings for a Grey Cup on TSN, which will certainly help with the next contract. Will the Grey Cup draw bigger television numbers in the US than the Stanley Cup final? Maybe not. Will it get more exposure? Maybe.

matchuk
10-27-2012, 10:28 PM
This is not for the 50,000 or so in attendance (who bought their tickets with little thought about the halftime show), but the 5 million-plus watching on television. In this way, it is an absolute master stroke. Beiber has 27 million followers on twitter and was ranked by Forbes as the third biggest entertainer in the world last year. Anyone who criticizes this is not looking at the big picture-- exposure for Our League. This will draw the biggest ever ratings for a Grey Cup on TSN, which will certainly help with the next contract. Will the Grey Cup draw bigger television numbers in the US than the Stanley Cup final? Maybe not. Will it get more exposure? Maybe.

I disagree. It will be the highest rated Grey cup but that is because it's the 100th. Exposure? Who do you honestly think listens to Bieber? The cfls ideal demographic, whatever it is, I assume males 18 - ? Does not listen to this kid. Just look all over twitter, Facebook, tsn no one wants this guy. I'm not disputing his success but he is not the right fit.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 10:48 PM
I disagree. It will be the highest rated Grey cup but that is because it's the 100th. Exposure? Who do you honestly think listens to Bieber? The cfls ideal demographic, whatever it is, I assume males 18 - ? Does not listen to this kid. Just look all over twitter, Facebook, tsn no one wants this guy. I'm not disputing his success but he is not the right fit.

But who is? I don't think that there is one act out there that would satisfy a majority of the people including CFL fans.

matchuk
10-27-2012, 11:04 PM
But who is? I don't think that there is one act out there that would satisfy a majority of the people including CFL fans.

Get rid of these 4 artists and replace with tragically hip, Shania twain, drake, Bryan Adams. I can bet a lot more fans would be happier with that. Just an example.

Also, I did mention before that I know that no matter who was playing not every single fan would be happy. I just think Bieber, career ray and Marianas trench are horrific choices.

LLB997
10-28-2012, 12:49 AM
I predicted Bieber or Dayglo Abortions. I'm the man!

ArgoRavi
10-28-2012, 01:27 AM
Get rid of these 4 artists and replace with tragically hip, Shania twain, drake, Bryan Adams. I can bet a lot more fans would be happier with that. Just an example.

Also, I did mention before that I know that no matter who was playing not every single fan would be happy. I just think Bieber, career ray and Marianas trench are horrific choices.

They don't care what CFL fans think though because they will watch the Grey Cup regardless. They are trying to make this a huge pop culture event and Bieber and Jepson will make it much more of that today than the likes of the Tragically Hip and Bryan Adams.

hugoagogo
10-28-2012, 01:42 AM
They don't care what CFL fans think though because they will watch the Grey Cup regardless. They are trying to make this a huge pop culture event and Bieber and Jepson will make it much more of that today than the likes of the Tragically Hip and Bryan Adams.

Yup, agree. The 100th Grey Cup will have the highest TV ratings ever because of the event. It will be through the roof with all these Bieber, Carly Rae fans added to the football fan base. Excellent marketing, should create tons of buzz and spillover media leading up to the event. All good for our league. I have a feeling a number of the corporate sponsors of the league are very very happpy with this announcement.

paulwoods13
10-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Let's face the facts though, the super bowl is all about the halftime show and commercials. The cfl is not. There is the difference.

The SB is about more than the commercials and the halftime show. The entire event is a massive revenue generator. The CFL is smart to try to emulate that formula.

Surely you are not suggesting we just keep the Grey Cup as a little parochial event that appeals only to hardcore CFL fans? There are fewer hardcore CFL fans than there used to be -- the league needs to reach out to new ones to stay vital and grow. That's what this halftime show is about.

gilthethrill
10-28-2012, 07:30 AM
With Beiber performing, perhaps the city of Stratford will finally decide not to hold its Santa Claus parade during the Grey Cup like they do every year....

Deerkeeper
10-28-2012, 07:59 AM
I couldn't care less about the half time show, but at least I finally get to see Gordon Lightfoot live. I've been trying to get to one of his concerts with no luck and wouldn't you know it, he is performing two shows at the Orillia Opera House (his home town) on the 11 November. I'll be in Toronto for the semi final.

294life
10-28-2012, 09:05 AM
'Sundown' and 'Baby' intertwined........'shudder'

Mulder
10-28-2012, 10:31 AM
I'd gladly sell my Grey Cup tickets if Justin Bieber is anywhere near the half time show.

You still selling those tickets?

gilthethrill
10-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Some CFL fans obviously won't like the selection of Bieber and Jepsen, but it is a HUGE get by the GC organizers. They are massive international stars, and by far the biggest Canadian performers in the world at the moment. This will get a lot of attention from people (in Cda and elsewhere) who ordinarily would not even be aware of the Grey Cup.

I have no idea who or what Jepsen is....

ArgoGabe22
10-28-2012, 10:57 AM
You can't deny the size of Beiber's fanbase but I'm no music expert and wonder does this Jepsen girl even have a following? She doesn't even have a solid career, more like a one hit wonder but I could be wrong. Is she really a huge act? Like I said I don't know.

Will
10-28-2012, 10:58 AM
I will say this, ultimately what we are at the stadium for is to watch the game. If we let the half-time show dictate our enjoyment of the game then the game begins to turn into the Super Bowl where just as much attention is cast on the non-football parts.

ArgoGabe22
10-28-2012, 11:06 AM
I will say this, ultimately what we are at the stadium for is to watch the game. If we let the half-time show dictate our enjoyment of the game then the game begins to turn into the Super Bowl where just as much attention is cast on the non-football parts.

If Black Eyed Peas was announced I don't know it would be hard to watch the game with me can't waiting for Half-time and then be mesmerized during the 3rd and 4th quarter can't believing I just saw them live.

paulwoods13
10-28-2012, 11:09 AM
You can't deny the size of Beiber's fanbase but I'm no music expert and wonder does this Jepsen girl even have a following? She doesn't even have a solid career, more like a one hit wonder but I could be wrong. Is she really a huge act? Like I said I don't know.

She is huge. Named Billboard's Rising Star of the Year (past winners included Nicki Minaj and Lady Gaga). Call Me Maybe was declared the Billboard song of the summer and widely covered, including a version by Cookie Monster. It sold more than 10 million singles worldwide.

Will
10-28-2012, 11:49 AM
What is a Marianas Trench besides the deepest point of the Pacific Ocean that is littered with downed Japanese aircraft?

KCargosfan
10-28-2012, 01:06 PM
I have no idea who or what Jepsen is....

Well, she's hot, so that's a plus, and she had the song of the summer for 2012 with "Call me maybe". I think it was a brilliant move to get her because "Call me maybe" is possibly the top pop song of 2012, so this will bring even more attention to the show along with Bieber. I don't like Bieber, but getting him was a smart PR move as the media will be all over it and these 2 will bring a ton of young viewers.

ArgoRavi
10-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Well, she's hot, so that's a plus, and she had the song of the summer for 2012 with "Call me maybe". I think it was a brilliant move to get her because "Call me maybe" is possibly the top pop song of 2012, so this will bring even more attention to the show along with Bieber. I don't like Bieber, but getting him was a smart PR move as the media will be all over it and these 2 will bring a ton of young viewers.

Exactly, KCargosfan! Probably the most talked about halftime show in Grey Cup history was the one in the '02 Grey Cup which featured Shania Twain and a huge Lotto 649 draw. That gave that game additional buzz and it ended up breaking an almost two decade-old Grey Cup TV ratings record. I suspect that we will see something similar happen this year.

AngeloV
10-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Don't really care for the halftime acts as far as my personal tastes go, but IMO a huge get for the league. Let's be honest, the rock and roll music many of us love just isn't as popular with the new generation as the type of acts they got. If it helps build any new type of fan base--and I'm not kidding myself, I know that many will tune in for halftime and tune out after its over, but hopefully a few will stay tuned--then it's a good move

argolio
10-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Very disappointed. I was hoping for Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians Orchestra.

ArgoGabe22
10-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Still would prefer to have Michael Schade performing at half time with the Canadian Opera Company. I've said this before I think the current Earl of Grey, Richard Fleming George Charles Grey, 6th Earl Grey should be in attendance for the coin toss or something. I mean without his ancestor donating the trophy the "Grey Cup" final will not even exist even though he was cheap. Finals would exist but of course with a different a name and a different looking trophy.

gilthethrill
10-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Very disappointed. I was hoping for Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians Orchestra.

Now that is funny!!! :)

KCargosfan
10-28-2012, 07:56 PM

Haha, thumbs up (since I can't find that on here)

argonaut11xx
10-28-2012, 08:51 PM
wow..the "bieb", and old guy, and some canadian "wanna-bee's"

...and why not micheal bubble....

geesh...why not play "TOUCH FOOTBALL" for this version of the Grey Cup

matthew
10-28-2012, 09:25 PM

Damn straight!! If the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame can finally get it right, why can't we get rush as the halftime show.

Well at least now I know what I will be doing at halftime, taking a piss then buying more beer!!!

matchuk
10-28-2012, 09:32 PM

i agree...i just dont think their plan will work....

1argoholic
10-28-2012, 11:00 PM
I've been to what, 25 or so Grey Cup games and the only haltime I've ever liked is the last one in TO with Lenny Kravits. The guy smoked! I don't go to to Grey Cup for the haltime music. I saw killer rockabilly live in Victoria at a club on Friday. Although I don't enjoy the haltime acts this is a great choice. Bieber is an Ontario kid who all in all is a good guy and understands and respects his Canadian roots. This Jepson girl is just a plain and simple sweetheart. If I was in my 20's I'd have no issues in watching this cutie perform. Any young male CFL fan that doesn't think she's cute needs to give their heads a shake. I can brave the crowds and go to the can or sit and people watch for 20 minutes. No big deal. Young guys and girls will all be thrilled and you have to see the forest through the trees. Good job by the Grey Cup committee and the CFL. I'm sure North American boys and girls will be glued to their tv sets. If you gain some fans the job is done.

argonaut11xx
10-29-2012, 10:37 PM
The good thing about this half time show is.....i'll have extra time to get more beer and munchies....

RICKEARS
10-30-2012, 10:23 AM
why people crying about Justin Bieber at half time, you gotta understand there will be tonssss of viewers to watch this on tv and that's what CFL wants.

Im sure people who got tix got them to watch the game not the hafltime show. Let the show be for viewers on TV and the game be for the tic holders...

If you dont wanna watch the show... go for a walk in the stands

matthew
10-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Ok I get it. But we could have got that Gangnam guy too.

1argoholic
10-30-2012, 12:49 PM
We could have got a South Korean lame one hit wonder? I think this will be the first Grey Cup that we have a couple of young performers which will look great for the CFL with young kids. The league needs to draw younger kids because 50 year olds like me won't be around forever.
I can't believe it,hard to understand how it happened, don't feel it or look it but I made it to 50 today. Opened up my first gift early on from my lovely wife to find a sweet Argo hat and tee. Love gifts like that. Looks like Cupstuff who I like to support.

As I mentioned other than Lenny Kravits oh and I think Blue Rodeo (forgot that one) I haven't liked the halftime acts. I do think Jepsen is a little cutie though.

argonaut11xx
10-30-2012, 09:11 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY....

50....you old fart...

HEHE...hope you had a great day....

1argoholic
10-30-2012, 11:44 PM
I have to stretch this one into Grey Cup. Hopefully I can work the I turned 50 into some free drinks. haha.

Thanks.

QBall
10-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Bieber? Crap on a stick. Wasn't Helix available? "Gimme an R..." is preferable to anything Bieber can puke out. This decision was make as a short term revenue generator, not as a way to attract new fans or entertain current ones. Younger people will only tune in to watch him and then tune out.

1argoholic
10-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Like I said you don't go to Grey Cup for the music. I would never see The Creepshow, Big John Bates and The Voo Doo Dolz, Danko Jones, The Hellbound Hepcats, DOA or any other great under ground type Canadian talent. It's always over radio played all sounds the same shite. This is why I really could care less but I think Biebs and the little cutie will be good for the CFL. People are like sheep and some of these lambs tuning in will get interested in following the CFL. Not every one will tune in and then tune out.

RICKEARS
11-07-2012, 04:27 PM
So after hearing that he will be at half time and then reading up on it on facebook it seems this is getting 100% BAD feedback..

what do us member think about him being at the 100th greycup?

Ron
11-07-2012, 04:31 PM
I really have no problem with her.

AngeloV
11-07-2012, 04:37 PM
I really have no problem with her.

LOL, there goes another keyboard with diet coke all over it.

Don't really care. Football fans care about the game, first and foremost. If having him there increases what TSN can charge for a TV commercial at halftime, then good for them. The league also needs to get people that are not fans to watch. Whether or not they become fans because of this, I do not know. But IMO, it's worth a shot.

UnitedRulz
11-07-2012, 04:39 PM
as a business and marketing decision its brilliant, as a music decision not so much. however i am more than happy to sacrifice 6 mins of my life watching Bieber perform if it brings new exposure, notoriety and fans to the CFL.

Gill The Thrill
11-08-2012, 05:55 PM
6 minutes...I know you're talking about the actual music (if you can call it that) performance, but don't these halftimes now reach the 25 - 30 minute mark in total....That's great time for a bathroom break, but unfortunately 40,000 people in attendance may feel the same way....I'd make a beeline for the bathroom lineup during the last timeout, possibly a referee's timeout if their is a change of possession in the last minute and the team is pinned in deep. They'll hopefully sit on the ball and that extra long halftime may mean you'll be comfy in your seat and ready to watch the 2nd half kickoff.

CptArcher
11-08-2012, 08:15 PM
as a business and marketing decision its brilliant, as a music decision not so much. however i am more than happy to sacrifice 6 mins of my life watching Bieber perform if it brings new exposure, notoriety and fans to the CFL.
Agreed.

It's a great decision for the league.

If marketed properly, you will have people take a few minutes out of their normal Sunday night TV-watching to flip over to TSN for the halftime show. Some will stay for the game.

ArgoFan1
11-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Darn
I was hoping for the return of the Eukanuba dogs half time show !!!! lol

Argoscflguy
11-14-2012, 09:39 PM
I think Justin beiber at the 100 th grey cup is pretty cool,he's big time and the cfl got him! We should all be proud I know my kids are happy. Lol

1argoholic
11-14-2012, 09:48 PM
For once the CFL did something that might gain them some younger fans.

argonaut11xx
11-14-2012, 09:52 PM
For once the CFL did something that might gain them some younger fans.

i agree....

me however will sneak my wife into a corridor of skydome, and suck down some rye, .to biebers music...HAHA....what revenge

1argoholic
11-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Not sure I could get excited with his music playing. hahaha. Why did Beibs break up with that little cutie?

ArgoRavi
11-15-2012, 02:53 AM
Not sure I could get excited with his music playing. hahaha. Why did Beibs break up with that little cutie?

Many people suspect that he isn't really interested in girls and that relationship was more of a PR thing.

gilthethrill
11-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Many people suspect that he isn't really interested in girls and that relationship was more of a PR thing.

This breakup may affect his performance...Grey Cup may suffer greatly as a result!!!!

KCargosfan
11-15-2012, 04:25 PM

Agreed. With all the other acts, Bieber will be on stage for what? 5-7 minutes at most? Jepsen will bring in a TON of viewers as well. Good work CFL.

Invader
11-15-2012, 06:38 PM
I don't think this halftime show is about making new fans but more about drawing eyeballs to the TV screen, if only for 15 minutes. Beiber fans count towards the ratings points the same as diehard football fans (they can switch the channel back to YTV when Lightfoot comes on). That's been the secret which has made the Super Bowl so successful.

294life
11-16-2012, 11:28 AM
PSY will do the gangnam style halftime show for the bills-seahawks game in TO dec. 16. some leagues get all the luck.

Ballstothewall
11-16-2012, 01:19 PM
CFNY played a lot of punk back in the day as well. Once I heard The Ramones I just couldn't listen to RAWK anymore. Lucky enough to see The Ramones smoke the Concert Hall a few times. They were as hard and as fast as it got live. Too bad three are dead. No reunion for my favorite band.
I can't listen to radio as it's all shite now. Great underground of new rock and roll punk bands, rockabilly and the like playing a club near you. haha.
I did like some new wave. Sounds funny now.
Geddy Lee sounds like he's singing though someones jock and loving it.
Yeah but you are sedated most of the time

ArgoGabe22
11-16-2012, 01:46 PM
PSY will do the gangnam style halftime show for the bills-seahawks game in TO dec. 16. some leagues get all the luck.

Well you know what that means right? They are desperate and obviously are having poor ticket sales.

1argoholic
11-16-2012, 01:47 PM
CFL actually corrected it's mistake. It's Dusty Beaver and her Dance Pole Extravaganza doing halftime not Dustin Beiber.

Now there's a word that needs to be used more, extravaganza a gogo.

argofandave
05-21-2013, 12:17 PM
I saw the Ramones at Burlington Central arena around 1982.

Ramones at Burlington Central Arena? How the hell did I not hear about that. I guess it was close to Hamilton and a good spot for them.

I recently found my ticket stub from the Ramones show at Burlington Central Arena. It was held on May 21st, 1980 (33 years ago today!). It cost $7.70 and the opening act was the Forgotten Rebels.

1argoholic
05-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Argofandave that would be like gold to me. I saw them in 82 and 83 at the Masonic Temple (Concert Hall) with a bunch of friends. Although three are gone they're still my favorite band of all time. They've influenced all the bands that I listen to today. Not a hockey game is played that you don't hear Ramones at some point during a break in the action.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8