PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Ray injury update

Wobbler
06-24-2018, 05:38 PM
He spent the night in hospital but "has feeling in all extremities" (https://www.cfl.ca/2018/06/24/argos-issue-update-injured-ricky-ray/), which is obviously good. They are describing it as a neck injury, however, so it is likely that the whole thing wasn't just precautionary.

jerrym
06-24-2018, 05:46 PM
It's my experience that virtually all teams tend to minimize the extent of injuries at least in the early stages so as to not alarm fans right away. However, it is good to hear it's not the worse case scenario.

ArgoZ
06-24-2018, 06:40 PM
The mildest neck injury puts someone out 2-3 weeks, never mind football. I would not be surprised to see Ray out for a few months, judging from what we saw. Heartbreaking to see it happen to Ray, likely on his last season. The team has come up so flat, in a Grey Cup coma, and Ray’s injury seems to be the punishment. Hopefully this wakes everyone up.

paulwoods13
06-24-2018, 07:33 PM
The fact he is still in hospital a day later indicates how seriously it is being taken. Assuming (hoping) he is able to make a full recovery, he should then make the best decision for himself and his family. If that means retiring now, so be it. He owes us, and the sport, nothing and deserves to go out on his own terms.

Scooter McCray
06-24-2018, 09:07 PM
So good to hear he has movement and feeling. This early in the injury that is very positive. He really does not need to prove anything else on the football field.

If this does not wake the team up nothing will.

Argo
06-25-2018, 08:26 AM
So good to hear he has movement and feeling. This early in the injury that is very positive. He really does not need to prove anything else on the football field.

If this does not wake the team up nothing will.

It'd be great if over the next couple of weeks at least one improvement to the offensive line occurs, however... not holding breath.

OTOH, something can be done immediately about leaving your starting (and very veteran) QB exposed throughout a rout - all the worse behind a crappy O line.

jerrym
06-25-2018, 10:43 AM
Jim Popp on Ray's situation:

“I wasn’t thinking about the game at all at that point, just the person, just the person,” said Popp, the Argos general manager. “I thought about his health and well- being and the quality of life and I thought about his family. You’re married. You have kids, they’re in the stands watching this. What’s going through the family’s mind? I was thinking about his wife and his two kids and I contacted them as soon as I could with as much information as I had.” ...

But it may have been career-ending.
That we can’t know about, yet. Not until we understand his condition better. Not until he spends time with his wife and his daughters and talks about the future. Popp grabbed the hand of his most storied player, just as receiver S.J. Green did, and Ray squeezed back, his eyes appearing moist. He squeezed not tightly, but enough of a squeeze that for the moment that it felt encouraging. As encouraging as it can with an athlete on a stretcher, surrounded by doctors holding their breath, a hard plastic collar around his neck, the family in the stadium in its own kind of shock.
“Can you imagine what it’s been like for him?” said Popp. “It’s pretty scary to go through something like that. It’s scary when you’re on the field like that. He probably hasn’t slept all night. He’s probably been up all night, away from his wife and kids, very anxious about his situation. Talking to him last night and today all I can say is, he was Ricky Ray. He was calm, poised, the way you see him all the time. He gave you that feeling, he’s Ricky. You can only hope and pray that everything turns out 100% well for his health.”
Popp wasn’t talking about football. He was talking about the rest of his life. ...

“No matter how the game was going, it changed for both teams at that moment,” said Popp. “There was a lot of concern from both teams. It was amazing after the game how many of the Calgary players came up to us. Nobody wants to see anything like this.”
There was, throughout the stadium, a sense of nervousness, a sense of dread.
“A lot of people werescared,” said Popp. “You never want to see this.”

http://vancouversun.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/simmons-the-legend-ricky-ray-fighting-for-his-football-life/wcm/89010e82-73d6-4f03-ab34-b199e5932623

Argo
06-25-2018, 02:53 PM
https://www.thestar.com/sports/football/analysis/2018/06/25/argos-quarterback-ricky-rays-injury-reminder-of-risks-cfl-players-face.html

Rich
06-25-2018, 02:53 PM
Like all of you i am hoping and praying that Ricky has a complete recovery with no long term effects from the injury.

But I can't help thinking -- and surely Ricky is thinking the same thing -- that the football gods have weighed in on his decision to return to play this season. It's easy to say it now: he should have packed it in after the Grey Cup. There were plenty of compelling reasons to retire, not the least of which was the risk, even likelihood, of a serious injury, the odds of which increased after he managed to go almost injury-free in 2017. His history of injuries strongly suggested that he was not likely to have a second-straight season without a major injury at age 38.

jerrym
06-25-2018, 08:17 PM
More from Popp on how Ray is doing:

Toronto Argonauts general manager Jim Popp said Monday it will be a few more days before club officials know the full extent of the injury to quarterback Ricky Ray.
“I can’t even speculate on that right now,” Popp said. “I surely hope and pray it’s not significant for his quality of life and his family’s and there’s a 100 per cent recovery.
“The prelim report is good (but) that doesn’t mean he won’t be out a bit. They run very thorough tests, they’re going over stuff, they want multiple people to look at it so there’s a clear indication of what the next step is. It may take a few days for us to get all those answers.”

http://3downnation.com/2018/06/25/argos-waiting-test-results-determine-severity-ricky-ray-injury-popp/

Neely2005
06-25-2018, 10:00 PM
Ray released from the hospital:

https://www.tsn.ca/ray-released-from-hospital-to-miss-significant-time-1.1123041

Stevoman
06-25-2018, 10:21 PM
Ray released from the hospital:

https://www.tsn.ca/ray-released-from-hospital-to-miss-significant-time-1.1123041

He is expected to miss significant time. Seems to me that the James Franklin era has begun.

dmont
06-26-2018, 12:52 AM
https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/status/1011428903414423553?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc% 5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E 3

macspectrum
06-26-2018, 02:49 AM
ray should realize he has gotten a 2nd chance and should retire gracefully having won a cup last year

Skilz
06-26-2018, 09:50 AM
ray should realize he has gotten a 2nd chance and should retire gracefully having won a cup last year

Safe to say Ricky Ray goes on the 6 Game Injury List as I speculate this would equate to "significant time"

New Depth Chart: Franklin, MBT, Prukop

argolio
06-26-2018, 07:01 PM
If Ricky doesn't retire soon, I suspect he'll wait to see where he is in 2-3 months before deciding his future.

argotom
06-26-2018, 07:44 PM

Yes.
It's always better when one retires at the top, just like Burris did.
On his own time and not like potentially now due to a grave injury.

jerrym
06-26-2018, 09:18 PM
Yes.
It's always better when one retires at the top, just like Burris did.
On his own time and not like potentially now due to a grave injury.

I'm torn but I sadly have to agree. The risk of a lifelong crippling injury is not worth it.

Neely2005
06-26-2018, 10:29 PM
I'll leave it to Ray to decide when he should retire. If he can get healthy and come back that would be great!

Argo
06-27-2018, 10:57 AM
I'll leave it to Ray to decide when he should retire. If he can get healthy and come back that would be great!

Just my opinion, of course, but I think this serious - and nearly catastrophic - injury event implies Ray's retirement. After all, he just spent several months strongly considering retirement.

He's been a great QB and a man of excellent character.

Flutie
06-27-2018, 03:31 PM
Looks like he's gone for the year

http://3downnation.com/2018/06/27/argos-qb-ricky-ray-expected-to-miss-the-rest-of-the-2018-season-sources/

Skilz
06-27-2018, 04:11 PM
Just my opinion, of course, but I think this serious - and nearly catastrophic - injury event implies Ray's retirement. After all, he just spent several months strongly considering retirement.

He's been a great QB and a man of excellent character.

Safe to say it is finished.

http://3downnation.com/2018/06/27/argos-qb-ricky-ray-expected-to-miss-the-rest-of-the-2018-season-sources/

Be prepared for the Franklin era here on out....

Wishing Ricky the very best in his future endeavors....

paulwoods13
06-27-2018, 04:53 PM
The good news for Ricky, or as good as it can be in such a miserable situation, is that he will get his full year's salary (although if there were games-played incentives he may be out of luck on those). The good news for the team, or as good as it can be in such a miserable situation, is that we had already found his presumed successor and (if MLSE is OK spending the extra money), we will get something like $350k in extra cap room.

Ron
06-27-2018, 05:18 PM
Good that he'll be healthy again. Hope he thinks of his family and doesn't retire and collects his pay for the rest of the year. He can support the team on the sidelines and truly mentor his replacements.

Argofan_1000
06-27-2018, 05:35 PM
The good news for Ricky, or as good as it can be in such a miserable situation, is that he will get his full year's salary (although if there were games-played incentives he may be out of luck on those). The good news for the team, or as good as it can be in such a miserable situation, is that we had already found his presumed successor and (if MLSE is OK spending the extra money), we will get something like $350k in extra cap room.

If there is cap room I can think of a few areas I would want to spend it on.

R.J
06-27-2018, 05:38 PM
Ray will most likely go on the 6 game anyways.

argolio
06-27-2018, 06:10 PM
Hate that Ricky has to go out like this, but at least he'll fully recover.

From a team perspective there's no more uncertainty. Time for everyone to get behind Franklin.

Will
06-27-2018, 06:29 PM
In Franklin I trust.

R.J
06-27-2018, 06:30 PM
Hate that Ricky has to go out like this, but at least he'll fully recover.

From a team perspective there's no more uncertainty. Time for everyone to get behind Franklin.
I'm not even a fan of Ray's, but this sucks that he didn't get to ride off into the sunset. Can't teach class - well maybe Trestman can......

I've been on the Franklin bandwagon for a while. He's got Ray's demeanor and classiness, but a lot more athletic and a stronger arm, so hopefully Trestman lets him let it rip. I want to see Prukop play as well one day, but I don't want to jinx anyone/anything lol.

PullTogether73
06-27-2018, 06:37 PM
I've been on the Franklin bandwagon for a while. He's got Ray's demeanor and classiness, but a lot more athletic and a stronger arm, so hopefully Trestman lets him let it rip. I want to see Prukop play as well one day, but I don't want to jinx anyone/anything lol.

This is the most comfortable I've been with the Argonauts QB situation in years actually.
We knew that this was likely Ray's last season anyway, so his injury simply moves the process along of finding the next starting QB.

I think Franklin has a lot of potential, for the reasons listed above.
And while Bethel-Thompson and Prukop are still fairly unknown, they have shown well in pre-season (B-T) and limited action last year (Prukop).

R.J
06-27-2018, 06:42 PM
This is the most comfortable I've been with the Argonauts QB situation in years actually.
We knew that this was likely Ray's last season anyway, so his injury simply moves the process along of finding the next starting QB.

And while Bethel-Thompson and Prukop are still fairly unknown, they have shown well in pre-season (B-T) and limited action last year (Prukop).
Yup, I haven't felt this comfortable since we had Collaros and Harris.
As for Prukop, he only played a bit in the 2017 pre season finale, but he really impressed me (although my wife says I'm easily impressed, so.......). In College he took over a lot of games, but that doesn't always translate to the pros, so I'm interested to see what his potential is at least.

Argo57
06-27-2018, 06:52 PM

Bummed out (but not surprised) at this news.
The inevitable transition is now here, glad Popp made a proactive move in acquiring James Franklin.
Let’s hope the O-Line smartens up and gives the kid a chance to shine!
Major thank you to Ricky Ray who has represented himself well during his HOF career.

1971GreyCup
06-27-2018, 07:02 PM
3Downnation just tweeted the Ricky Rays done for the season. Looks like he’ll call it a career.

ArgoZ
06-27-2018, 07:13 PM
I hope we see Ricky on the sidelines next game. Give him the standing ovation and win the game!

Stevoman
06-27-2018, 09:41 PM
Ray is a class act and a great player. I really wish he didn't get injured but I am also very comfortable and excited about Franklin becoming the starter.
As much as it is great to defend a championship with the team that got you there, it truly seemed like this season was the time to invest in a new QB. Sure there will be growing pains but coming off a championship buys you time in the eyes of the fans to re-tool. For the Argos to have sustained success beyond this season, it was time to invest in a new QB. One more year with Ray would've been great, but there is no way I want a repeat of the Al's and not preparing for after Calvillo situation.
Let's see if Franklin can be the guy! (And I really think he can and will be)

jerrym
06-27-2018, 11:05 PM
I wish him the best in whatever he decides to do with the rest of his life.

Neely2005
06-28-2018, 01:00 PM
3Downnation just tweeted the Ricky Rays done for the season. Looks like he’ll call it a career.

Has it been reported that he's going to retire?

Will
06-28-2018, 01:14 PM
Has it been reported that he's going to retire?

No, but you would agree under the circumstances that it would be a probable outcome.

Neely2005
06-29-2018, 09:16 AM
Ray leaving for the remainder of the season?

https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/argos/2018/06/27/season-is-over-for-argonauts-qb-ricky-ray.html

Neely2005
06-29-2018, 09:17 AM
No, but you would agree under the circumstances that it would be a probable outcome.

You know what they say about assuming.
:-)

Foxhound
06-29-2018, 11:46 AM
Interesting to note just how consistent Ricky Ray has been game-after-game over his lengthy sixteen year career. He stands second in lifetime average yards passing per game at 269.8 versus Doug Flutie's CFL record book leading 306.3. Mike Reilly stands third at 259.6 yards per game.

:)

jerrym
06-29-2018, 12:40 PM
Quite a trio of Hall of Famers.

Neely2005
06-29-2018, 05:43 PM
Ray should Not retire:

https://niagaraindependent.ca/has-ricky-ray-played-his-last-cfl-game/

smokeslet'sgo
07-02-2018, 01:26 AM
Ray should Not retire:

https://niagaraindependent.ca/has-ricky-ray-played-his-last-cfl-game/

Honestly I think he should. Not because I don't want to see him quarterbacking our team anymore, but because he has nothing left to prove in this league and the type of injuries he sustained can very easily affect the rest of his life. He long established his legacy before he even came to Toronto, and he added 2 Cups to that. What's the point of risking life-altering injury just to play out one more season? Especially after missing the majority of the previous season? I feel like both Ricky and the Argos should move on. The day he retires he should be enshrined in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and #15 should be retired in both Edmonton and Toronto.

Just my opinion. Obviously you'll probably disagree

Neely2005
07-02-2018, 10:29 AM
Honestly I think he should. Not because I don't want to see him quarterbacking our team anymore, but because he has nothing left to prove in this league and the type of injuries he sustained can very easily affect the rest of his life. He long established his legacy before he even came to Toronto, and he added 2 Cups to that. What's the point of risking life-altering injury just to play out one more season? Especially after missing the majority of the previous season? I feel like both Ricky and the Argos should move on. The day he retires he should be enshrined in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and #15 should be retired in both Edmonton and Toronto.

Just my opinion. Obviously you'll probably disagree

I think that Ray should do whatever he thinks is best. What fans think doesn't matter at all.

smokeslet'sgo
07-02-2018, 12:00 PM
I think that Ray should do whatever he thinks is best. What fans think doesn't matter at all.

100% agreed

7dj83r8f78t4alf8